Barnabas

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Barnabas

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria, [b]Victoria[/b] runs toward the Old House.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

As Victoria enters the Old House, she witnesses a disturbing scene.

Barnabas is leaning half-collapsed against Maggie. Maggie yells at Carolyn to stop, and rushes to the side of her father, who slumps unconscious in a chair. Carolyn catches sight of Victoria's crucifix, shrieks, and runs down the stairs to the large metal door, which she pulls open. Once inside the room beyond it, she slams it shut with a loud bang the reverberates throughout the house. Meanwhile, Barnabas struggles to reach Maggie, moving slowly and awkwardly.

"Josette . . ." he says, weakly.

In response to all the noise, Willie rushes down from upstairs.

"You don't look so good, Barnabas," he says. "Where's the doc? I think it's time for your shot." Catching sight of Sam and Maggie, he adds, "I guess your old man had a little too much hooch, huh?" His trembling hands and shaky voice belie his attempt at levity.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"Sh-she was going to kill him," Maggie stammers... "she's a m-monster." She examines her father, looking for signs of blood or injury. "Barnabas... are you like her?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dr. Hoffman took Joe to the hospital in her car," says Victoria. "I think he'll live." If Sam is hurt, she will treat him too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:03 am
"Sh-she was going to kill him," Maggie stammers... "she's a m-monster." She examines her father, looking for signs of blood or injury. "Barnabas... are you like her?"
Sam Evans appears to be physically unharmed, although in something of a daze. He opens his eyes slowly , blinks several times, and speaks.

"Where is she? Where's that girl? I have to paint her! She's the most fascinating, compelling, extraordinary . . . Take me to her!"

Meanwhile, an almost equally Barnabas says weakly, "Josette. You know what I am. I could have given you eternity . . ."

Catching a glimpse of Victoria, he changes mood instantly, becoming filled with rage. He turns away from her and snarls "Take that thing away!"
Spoiler:
off site die roll 1 d20 = 13
In response, Willie attempts to snatch Victoria's crucifix away from her, but she steps out of his way and he falls forward. Barnabas rises to his full height, all weakness gone, and shouts at him "You have failed me again!" His eyes glow with a dull red inner light as he picks up the wolf head cane he always has at hand and holds it threateningly over Willie's head.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, don't hurt him!" cries Victoria, holding out the crucifix to make Barnabas back away from Willie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,In view of the "difficult to act against Barnabas" idea we had to replace Maggie's claustrophobia, I made a morale roll - Charisma 11, -3 for cowardly, -3 because it's Barnabas - I got a 3.
"Barnabas, don't!" Maggie screams. "If you love me, please don't hurt him!"
Vicki,That's let a cat out of a bag, I know, but I don't have to tell them I'm a reincarnation of Josette.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The compelling force of the crucifix, combined with Maggie's entreaty, causes Barnabas to back away, turning his face toward the wall, falling to his knees. Willie crawls out of the room, whimpering. Meanwhile, seemingly undisturbed by this chaos, Sam stands and walks down the short flight of stairs to the heavy metal door. It seems to open of its own accord, allowing him to enter, than slams shut behind him.

"Josette," Barnabas says in a voice full of agony. "Please. The pain is unbearable. Take the crucifix from her and destroy it! Or do what must be done, and end my miserable existence!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Please, Vix, he won't hurt us," Maggies says, holding out her hand. Then she realises what's happened... "Daddy, no, don't go down there! Vix, I need that cross or she'll kill him!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Here," says Victoria, giving Maggie her crucifix.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As Maggie accepts the crucifix, and will no doubt rush to her father's aid, Barnabas turns to face Victoria, who is doubtlessly surprised to see that he now looks like a very old man, seemingly a century or so in age. Bald, his face and hands unrecognizable due to the many deep wrinkles that cover them, the only sign of youth is the fact that his teeth are bright white, particularly the excessively long canines. In a voice that is hollow with age, but somehow still commanding, he cries "I must have sustenance." He approaches Victoria.

Meanwhile, Maggie discovers that the metal door seems to be locked, as if of its own accord.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC,Wisdom roll to realise Victoria's peril - 9, -1 because of Affection for Sam, -3 because of Barnabas - rolled a 7.
Maggie is focussed on pushing and rattling the door, as if she could force it open. "Daddy! Come back! She's dangerous!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not from me," says Victoria, retreating to where Maggie is, as she now has the crucifix. "What you need is for Dr. Hoffman to give you that injection when she comes back. That will keep your cravings at bay, at least for a while. Sarah told me about you. She called you her brother, and she said we should aid your atonement. I can help you. I'm sorry the crucifix caused you pain. I thought it would just frighten you and didn't know it would hurt you. But it's what the crucifix represents that can save you: Jesus Christ. He died on a cross so that we could have eternal life, but not the way you seem to have it now. He will forgive all who believe in Him and repent of their sins, and that includes you, no matter what you've done. There must be a way to end your terrible curse, and while science can suppress it temporarily, the only permanent cure is through faith. I would like to help you find it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Aging even more before their very eyes, Barnabas seems to become more animalistic, growling at the two women. He approaches them, but at that moment the front door bangs open, revealing Doctor Hoffman, carrying a black medical bag.

"I came back as soon as I could," she says, somewhat out of breath. "Is Carolyn--"

Before she can complete her question, Barnabas, who is nearby, lunges at her, lifting her bodily from the floor and aiming his mouth at her neck. Her mouth is open, as if to scream, but she makes no sound.

Meanwhile, from beyond the locked metal door, between the sound of Maggie's frantic banging on the outside, Sam's voice can be heard.

"So lovely. So beautiful."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie is overwhelmed by the twin horrors of her father trapped with Carolyn and Barnabas's sudden attack on Julia. She puts her hands to her face, screaming, "NO!!" (Which has the side effect of making her drop the crucifix).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let her go!" cries Victoria, snatching up the crucifix and hurrying toward Barnabas to intervene. She doesn't want to hurt him, but it's the only way to save the doctor's life. Once Barnabas is kept at bay, one of them can inject him. Then he'll be able to unlock the basement door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Barnabas retreats, moaning in agony. He drops Doctor Hoffman to the ground, knocking her out. Her medical bag opens, revealing several syringes as well as a number of vials filled with red liquid.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"This can't be happening," Maggie sobs. "Everything should be all right now we're to-" She cuts herself off, but the tears keep coming. Then her eyes light on Julia's syringes and she scrabbles over to them, picking a couple up and holding them out to Barnabas. "This is what she gives you right? It'll help you?" Her eyes keep flicking between Barnabas and the metal door.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Barnabas is unable to reply, merely writhing upon the ground in apparent agony. The vials are not labeled, nor is there any indication of what dose would be both safe and effective. Meanwhile, the creaking of the metal door, opening slowly, is heard.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Not wanting to take a chance on giving Barnabas the wrong dose, Victoria first tries to revive Julia Hoffman, who would know how much to give him.
Victoria, Using Cure Light Wounds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”