Quentin (Victoria Winters)

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Quentin (Victoria Winters)

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The horse-drawn coach stops in front of the mansion. A tall, slender, well-dressed man, no longer in the earliest bloom of youth but definitely not yet into middle age, steps out of it and sends the driver on his way with payment and a whispered statement that causes the coachman to laugh. As the coach drives away, the passenger pauses a moment to look around the place.

wis = 9d20

After taking in the pleasant scenery, he raps upon the front door with the walking stick he carries. The door is opened, and the man briefly engages in conversation with someone before he is allowed to enter.

d20

From where she remains unseen in the trees near the mansion, Victoria is able to make out what they are saying.

You dare to come back here!

At grandmother's request, brother. You can't deny her request to see me, or else the dear old thing might change her will, eh?

There is no further speech between the two, and the door is slammed shut after the visitor enters.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Quentin (Victoria Winters)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Without any better ideas about what to do or where to go, Victoria goes up to the door and knocks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As if he is master of the house, it is the tall, slender man who opens the door wide. With a grin he says "Well, well! What pretty little bird is this who comes to roost at a raven's nest? It seems that I've chosen a lucky day to make my return performance. Come in, my dear, come in!"

Turning to the other man, who is somewhat older and balding, where the younger one has flowing dark hair, he says "What other secrets have you been hiding from me, Edward? Introduce me to your lady friend, I insist! And to think they call me the black sheep of the family!" He laughs heartily.

The other man says, with obvious annoyance, "I have no idea who this woman might be. What is your business here, madam?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry to interrupt," says Victoria, entering the house. "My name is Miss Victoria Winters. I'm a governess."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Smiling, the younger man says "How I wish I could be taken under your tutorage! Alas, my youthful innocence has long fled." Turning to the other, he continues, "What do you say, Edward? Surely young Nora and Jamison are in need of governance, now that Laura--"

The man addressed as Edward shouts "You are never to mention that name in this house again! Damn you for an impudent scoundrel!" He retires to the drawing room, shutting its heavy doors behind himself.

"Welcome to the dreary old tomb," the other man says. "Consider yourself hired, as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate your manner of dress, to say the least -- I have seen even less confining and more alluring clothing among the native ladies in Egypt -- but we shall have to get you something more acceptable to the unenlightened citizens of Collinsport. I'm Quentin Collins, by the way," he says, taking Victoria's hand and bowing over it in the continental manner, holding onto it for a longer period of time than courtesy requires. "How shall I address you? Helen? Galatea? Aphrodite?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria is disturbed by the mention of Laura, though she is relieved that Laura is apparently no longer present. "Thank you," she says, unable to help but smile. "Perhaps you should simply call me Miss Winters."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I trust you shall not prove as chilly as your name," Quentin replies.

At this time, two children descend the stairs, rushing to embrace Quentin with cries of delight. At their appearance, Quentin drops his cynical, worldly tone and speaks to them in a more natural, affectionate manner.

"And here are your charges. Miss Winters, may I introduce my niece, Nora, and my nephew, Jamison. She is to be your governess."

The children greet Victoria in a courteous but somewhat subdued manner.

"Why don't you get acquainted while I visit my dear grandmother," Quentin continues. "Oh, and I suppose there are some old things of Laura's to be found somewhere in this mausoleum that will fit you. Edward will not object; not as long as I'm paying your salary, anyway, as I expect Fortune to be smiling upon me soon." He heads upstairs.

Hearing the name "Laura," the children become noticeably subdued, but continue to exhibit proper behavior.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm very pleased to meet you both, Nora and Jamison," says Victoria with a smile. "I look forward to teaching you. Why don't you tell me about yourselves and your family?" She also thinks back to what she had learned about the Collins family history book, so that she can identify the time period more precisely and know something about the people she has met.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

From what the children say, and from remembrance of the Collins family tree found in the book, Victoria is able to determine that Nora and Jamison are the children of Edward Collins (whom she has briefly met) and Laura Murdoch Collins (of whom there is no record after 1896, that being one of the mysterious gaps in the family history.) Jamison is noted as the father of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard and Roger Collins, and grandfather to David Collins, to whom he bears a close resemblance. There is nothing noted about Nora after 1896.

For that matter, Edward also has a sister named Judith and a brother named Carl, not yet met, whose records go no further than the same year. Quentin's name is also noted as Edward's brother, but that is all; it is as if someone tried to remove him entirely from the family record, but could not deny that, at the very least, he existed.

It is obvious, from what they say, that the children are very fond of "dear Uncle Quentin," and that they have a somewhat cooler affection and respect for the other elder members of the family.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Your Uncle Quentin does seem to be very charming," says Victoria. "Tell me more about him, please."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Looking at each other for a moment before deciding to place their trust in their charming young governess, the children draw near and speak in whispers.

"Mother went off with Uncle Quentin to sail upon the Nile," Nora explains, "although Father did not wish her to leave."

"Camels and pyramids and desert bandits," Jamison adds with a note of excitement.

Their mood changes to one of muted sorrow as Nora continues.

"Then, a letter came from Uncle Quentin, telling us that Mother had died of fever. He told us that we must be brave, and bear this ad-ver-si-ty," she says carefully.

"That is why Father is often cross," Jamison says, "although we must not blame him."

"And Uncle Quentin has been gone ever so long," Nora goes on. "Now that he has returned, we shall be happy again."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds like quite the adventure," says Victoria, "but I'm sorry you lost your mother. I'll have to ask your Uncle Quentin about his travels in Egypt some time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Some time later, Quentin returns from an extended visit with his ailing grandmother.

"The old dear is still with us," he remarks to his siblings, not caring if the newly hired governess overhears. (By this time, Victoria has been introduced to Quentin's younger brother, Carl, who seems to be somewhat frivolous in nature, and older sister Judith, more serious, and the primary caretaker for their ailing grandmother. Both parents of the siblings are deceased.) "I don't suppose she has revealed the family secret to any of you, either."

"I don't think there is any such thing," Carl remarks. "I was just saying to Pansy the other day--"

"I would rather leave that music hall adventuress out of this," Edward says sharply. "Grandmother will reveal the secret when she pleases, and not a moment sooner. I am still her eldest grandson, Quentin, no matter how much time you spend trying to charm her into making you her heir. Our common blood forces me to offer you a home here, and to treat you with common civility, but do not imagine that I am not aware of your scheming."

"I must see to Grandmother," Judith says, obviously eager to leave the brothers to their quarrel. From where Victoria is caring for the children, she can see that Judith heads upstairs, but not to the elderly woman's room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps I should accompany her," says Victoria. "I have some skill in nursing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Heading upstairs, close enough to witness Judith's movements, but not so near that her presence is noticed, Victoria sees that Judith heads for another room, which is locked. She opens it with a key and hurries inside, closing the door behind herself firmly. During the brief time it is open, Victoria is able to hear a woman's voice, softly murmuring to herself unintelligibly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria tries to listen without appearing to be eavesdropping, hoping to make out any words spoken.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

WIS rolld20

Try as she might, Victoria is unable to make out what is being said. She is only able to determine that Judith speaks to the other person within the room in a soft voice. Soon, the door to the locked room begins to open again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria stands near the stairs and waits for Judith to return. "Perhaps I can be of assistance to your grandmother, Miss," she suggests. "I have some skill as a nurse."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Obviously startled, Judith stammers out a reply.

"Oh ! Of course. She is resting now. Perhaps if you would check on her in a few hours, when my niece and nephew have gone to bed, that would be most helpful." She glances back at the door from which she has just emerged, and pats the dimity pocket in her skirt where she secured the key.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very good, Miss," says Victoria. "I'll just need the key at the time, or you'll need to let me into her room."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”