Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think I understand," says Reverend Trask. "I wouldn't have thought Miss Winters would have participated in a ritual to contact the dead, but it makes sense that there would be dire consequences. Look what happened when King Saul tried to call up the spirit of Samuel. Still, there is no one that sinneth not. Miss Winters has otherwise displayed excellent character and judgment, but she did make a mistake there. I would advise against trying to repeat the process. It would also result in returning to a different 1795 than the one I left. I am wary of the I Ching as well, but if it is not used for divination, it should be acceptable."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am
"But he does have family," says Victoria. "He is part of the Collins family in Collinsport, Maine, headed by Roger Collins. He'll be much better off with his family around him than among strangers. Please let us take him back to Maine with us."
After some investigation by the authorities, this is determined to be true enough, although the family history of the Collins, according to information received from the Collinsport Historical Society, is confusing, the only recorded Jeremiah Collins having died well over a century ago.

Because Jeremiah has ceased to rave, and, if anything, is passively agreeable with the authorities, they agree to allow Victoria and Nathan to take him back to Collinsport as his guardians. He remains sullen and uncommunicative during the journey.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 am

"I think I understand," says Reverend Trask. "I wouldn't have thought Miss Winters would have participated in a ritual to contact the dead, but it makes sense that there would be dire consequences. Look what happened when King Saul tried to call up the spirit of Samuel. Still, there is no one that sinneth not. Miss Winters has otherwise displayed excellent character and judgment, but she did make a mistake there. I would advise against trying to repeat the process. It would also result in returning to a different 1795 than the one I left. I am wary of the I Ching as well, but if it is not used for divination, it should be acceptable."
"Very well. I shall prepare myself by meditating and fasting for a few days. Good day, sir."

While waiting for Professor Stokes to ready himself for the use of the I Ching, Victoria and Nathan return to Collinsport, with a melancholic Jeremiah in their care.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There may be a way we can return home," says Reverend Trask to Nathan and Jeremiah, telling them what he had learned from Professor Stokes. "If you feel a weight on your soul, Jeremiah, perhaps I can relieve you of the burden, if you will permit it. If you are oppressed by evil spirits, I can drive them away."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's true," says Victoria. "I've seen him do it, and I've helped him with my prayers." When she gets a chance, she seeks out Elizabeth to ask her about her parents now that David has safely returned.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"I confess returning home will bittersweet one respect," says Nathan. "You have been charming company throughout our many ordeals, Miss Winters. It will be strange to see Collinswood without you." To Reverend Trask, he adds, "Still. I believe we are doomed if we remain, so we must use what means we can, even should they appear sinful."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Victoria. "I've enjoyed our time together too, and I'm sorry that it must end. You can't stay in my time, and I can't stay in yours."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree that we are doomed if we remain here too long," says Reverend Trask. "However, it is important to distinguish between means that appear sinful and means that actually are. That is a line I shall not cross. Even so, we are told to avoid even the appearance of evil. Still, we used the I Ching to come here, and I can accept that we must use it to go back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 am
"There may be a way we can return home," says Reverend Trask to Nathan and Jeremiah, telling them what he had learned from Professor Stokes. "If you feel a weight on your soul, Jeremiah, perhaps I can relieve you of the burden, if you will permit it. If you are oppressed by evil spirits, I can drive them away."

"Do as you wish," Jeremiah says quietly. "I no longer care."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:34 am

"It's true," says Victoria. "I've seen him do it, and I've helped him with my prayers." When she gets a chance, she seeks out Elizabeth to ask her about her parents now that David has safely returned.
Mrs. Stoddard takes Victoria into the drawing room and closes all the doors and windows. Once she is certain that no one else is listening, she reveals the truth.

With tears in her eyes, she confesses "You are my daughter! I was a young, foolish girl. I gave myself to a worthless man. The scandal would be too much to bear, so I went away, supposedly on a tour of Europe. I left you at the orphanage, hoping to reclaim you at some future date. But marriage followed, the birth of Carolyn, the death of my husband, Roger's separation and returning to Collinwood with David to look after . . . Somehow there never seemed to be the right moment. I was planning to bring you here as David's governess in a few months, and then you showed up! Imagine my shock! Can you forgive me? And is it wicked of me that I still fear the scandal if this were to become known?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:08 am

"Thank you," says Victoria. "I've enjoyed our time together too, and I'm sorry that it must end. You can't stay in my time, and I can't stay in yours."
It may occur to Victoria that remaining poses a possible problem; what of the other Victoria Winters?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Professor Stokes indicates that he is willing to begin the ceremony of I Ching when the others are prepared.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria embraces Elizabeth, her mother, wrapping her arms around her. "I had suspected it might be the case, but I wasn't sure," she says. "Of course I forgive you. I'm so glad I found you, Mother. The other Victoria, the one still in the orphanage, is also me. You told me the truth, and you deserve the same from me. I know this will be hard to believe, but I think you know me well enough to know that I can't lie, and that I'm not mad. I'm not from quite the same reality as this one. It's very similar, but certain things are different. Where I originally was, it's several months later, and I'd been working here as David's governess when I had participated in a seance. Somehow, I found myself in Collinsport in 1795, where I also worked as a governess for young Sarah Collins. After many ordeals, I found a way to return to 1967 through use of the I Ching, but it's not quite the same as the one I left. I arrived somewhat earlier than I had left, for one thing, and I had also changed history, so other things were different from what I remember. I can prove it too. Before I left, you gave me a book of the history of the Collins family, and it has your signature on it. The history is also somewhat different from what you'll remember because of the changes. I'd like to try to find a way to return to the 1967 which I left if I can. If I'm successful, I can be with the you that's there, and you can still bring the other Victoria here when you planned to do it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am ready when you are," Reverend Trask says to Nathan and Jeremiah. "We should bid farewell to Miss Winters first, and the others from this time. It would not do to simply disappear without a word."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Indeed," says Nathan drily. "After recent months, I believe a simple disappearance should doom her to a lifetime of fruitless investigation into our fates."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Nathan and Reverend Trask will find Miss Winters in residence at the mansion at Collinwood, where Mrs. Stoddard has withdrawn to her room. She frequently receives visits from the other members of the family, as well as Miss Winters, all of whom want to assure that she is well. They report that she appears to have received some strange news, and yet often seems quite happy.

Mrs. Stoddard doesn't quite know what to think about your bizarre story, but all that really matters to her is that the truth is now known to you. During one of your visits, she asks your advice. "Should we tell the others? Roger, David, Carolyn . . . your half-sister! I don't know how they'll react."

"Some emotional crisis," Roger Collins explains. "I don't quite know what's gotten into my sister. Perhaps it's a delayed reaction to my son's little . . . adventure, shall we say? She's always been quite close to the boy. In any case, I'm glad things have settled down to as normal as they get around here. I understand you gentleman will be taking your leave soon. Thank you for all you've done, and drop in any time you're in the neighborhood."

Professor Stokes is found dressed in Oriental style. "Not really necessary, but you must forgive my weakness for theatricality." He tosses the I Ching sticks while chanting in a foreign tongue.
Spoiler:
2d6
"I believe you will return to your own time. Any changes in reality should be minimal. Now concentrate! Close your eyes and pass through the Gate!"

The two men find themselves just outside of Collinsport, at a distance that would be no more than a brisk walk. The weather is colder than one might expect, as if there has been a change of season.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria says farewell to Nathan Forbes and Reverend Trask, thanking them for all their help and wishing them the best.

"I think we should," says Victoria. "We are a family. We're meant to be together."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask bids Victoria Godspeed.

"We may not have returned precisely when we left," says Reverend Trask. "Some time may have passed...or we may be early. This looks like home, however. Is Jeremiah with us? Shall we head inside?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan kisses Miss Winters's hand in farewell.

"Not the most salubrious of conditions. But it may be presumed we have not crossed quite the same measure of time as when we came. It would be well to take Mr Collins inside, and... We never discovered what became of Miss DuPres - we should find out if she is still here."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
As this has now split into two timelines -- and if you think my plots are insanely convoluted, you should watch the original Dark Shadows sometime -- let us proceed in such fashion to a pair of new threads.

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”