The Ghost Lights

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette speaks often with Mr Stewart during the voyage, though of course she is deferential to his duty as captain. She is curious as to his background, and will share her own if asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree," says Reverend Trask. "Barnabas would need to have brought money in order to be able to afford lodgings there - unless he already knows someone who will take them in."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Barnabas does love his sister," says Victoria. "He believes what he's doing is best for her. While there are many people in this great city, someone from outside will still stick out - as will we. Miss Collins, do you know of any branches of the Collins family or friends of the family in Boston?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

During an idle moment in calm weather, as the ship pulls into Boston Harbor, Amos Stewart, in a wistful mood, offers something of his origins.

"I once had ambitions for the law. Aye, you'd not think it, but I can read and write and cipher as well as any custom house scrivener. But Man proposes and God disposes, as they say. And what, if I may be so bold as to inquire, brings a fine lady to these rough American shores?"

This simple question, meant no doubt only as friendly conversation, may raise certain unquiet memories.

It is no surprise that Millicent Collins, in light of her virtue and social standing -- and, if one may be so vulgar as to mention it, her considerable wealth -- is well acquainted with persons of quality in Boston. (Mademoiselle Dupres, on the other hand, being, as Scripture has it, a stranger in a strange land.) Statesmen, civic-minded ladies, scholars, clergymen, and princes of industry may all, as one wishes, be approached through introduction by that lady.

Of more immediate concern is the imminent reunion of Miss Collins and Mister Forbes, whose past acquaintance has not always been favorable to either. (For that matter, in times to come, what might Mademoiselle Dupres and Mister Collins say to one another, if they should happen to meet again?)
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

For his part, Nathan is pleased to see Millicent - they had been enjoying some measure of reconciliation in recent weeks - and given the events involving young Daniel, he has some feelings of responsibility toward the boy (no doubt shared by the Reverend). He takes the chance to ask how Daniel is recovering from his ordeal. He compliments both ladies on their initiative in finding their way here.
He is not entirely insincere when it comes to Daniel, though he chiefly welcome's Millicent's presence because of the opportunity to work his way back into her affection away from the presence of her family.

Millicent is relieved to be away from Collinsport for a time. Though Nathan has been at the heart of her best and worst moments in that place, so being with him in Boston is confusing to her feelings. She is happy to make whatever introductions the party should require, of course.
She should know better, but Nathan has done many gallant things since his betrayal, including the rescue of her brother from the pool. Jesus speaks ever of the promise of redemption, and surely she is seeing it here.

Josette is afraid of seeing Barnabas again - she does not fear harm from him, but he seems gripped by strange manias. But perhaps he will be calmed by the new turn her life has taken, and the hope that she can find happiness again.
Amos will no doubt have heard some of the gossip that swirled about town regarding herself and Barnabas. She owes him the truth, especially since they are on the track of that same gentleman. She tells him of her engagement, its breaking, and the machinations of her former maid. "It was the work of some months before my heart began to heal, which I must credit to the steafast friendship of Miss Winters. I am sorry to relate so maudlin a tale, but as you say, God disposes."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Where in Boston would new arrivals go, Miss Collins?" asks Reverend Trask. "Particularly those who require charitable aid. Barnabas would not have much money to his name, having been disowned. I could show up offering to help and see if he and Sarah are present."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a great idea!" says Victoria. "I could also volunteer to help out with my nursing skills."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Decision having been made to seek the siblings via local charitable organizations, inquiry is made as to what these may be. These are, for the most part, religious and nationalistic in nature. After some discussion, it seems likely that Barnabas might have sought refuge from the Episcopal Charitable Society of Boston, directed towards deserving persons of English ancestry, rather than, say, The Scots Charitable Society of Boston or the Charitable Irish Society of Boston. Giving Miss Collins' connections amongst the worthies of the city, it would not be difficult for any or all of the party to arrange for an interview with said organization. It remains only to be seen in what manner such an approach shall be made.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"No one would question the intentions of Miss Collins," says Nathan, "so her presence may serve to legitimise that of anyone else. Miss Winters has a responsibility to Sarah, though she is a governess while Barnabas Collins is Sarah's brother - so it may be taken as presumptious of her to make inquiries about them. I have no connection to them, and Miss Du Pres's - and my apologies for speaking indelicately - is not one that lends itself to the appearance of innocent concern. Therefore, I propose that Reverend Trask ask the necessary questions, with Miss Collins serving to introduce him."

"I will of course accompany whomever goes," says Millicent.

Josette shoots Victoria a look which suggests she wishes to speak with her about something.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A good plan," says Reverend Trask. "We shall do as you say."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I should still accompany you," says Victoria. "You should take the lead in asking questions, but I do have an interest in finding Sarah, who we know is in the company of Barnabas. I can also offer the use of my skills to those in need." When Josette signals her, Victoria goes aside with her to see what she wants.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It can wait until you return," says Josette. "The conversation may be a lengthy one."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The necessary arrangements are made for an interview with a lady of moderately advanced years whose generous contributions to the Society, as well as an abundance of leisure time, render her able and willing to respond to inquiries of this nature. Introduced to the visitors in proper fashion, and engaging in idle talk concerning, primarily, the curious meteorological phenomenon currently observed in Boston harbor, whilst offering simple refreshments, she eventually steers the conversation in the direction of more immediately relevant matters.

"I understand you wish to aid us in our charitable efforts," she begins.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, ma'am," says Reverend Trask. "I can lend spiritual aid to those less fortunate, and Miss Winters here has skills as a nurse. I'm also hoping to find someone among those being helped, one Barnabas Collins. He was heading to Boston in the company of his little sister, Sarah." He describes both of them. "They are of English descent and do not have much money, so they may have sought help here. Have you seen any recent arrivals that could fit the description?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm young Sarah's governess," says Victoria. "I do hope she's all right."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"And that they are named Collins is not a coincidence - they are family of mine, so I am naturally concerned for their welfare."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I understand. There are, unfortunately, so many poor souls in need of aid that it is impossible for me to be familiar with each. Perhaps you would care to pay a visit to our hostelry for the indigent?"

Arranges are made for such an excursion. The place is one unlikely to lighten the mood of any who enters therein. Within the dank and nearly lightless rooms of the hostelry are numerous worn blankets cast upon the dirt floor, upon which those fortunate to claim a place may find rest, the luckless doing without. The aroma of stale gruel fills the gloomy interior, along with even less pleasant scents. Given the number of destitute residents -- men, women, children, entire families -- it is a matter of some delicacy to move amongst them, in order to locate the persons for whom one is searching; particularly if it so happens that they do not wish to be found.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent's heart aches for the poor unfortunates, and despite her mission, she cannot help but stop and speak with some of them, and offer what comfort and prayer that she can.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask circulates among those in need, praying with and for them as he looks for the Collins siblings and makes inquiries about them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria helps the sick and injured with her healing talents while she also looks and asks around.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”