The Ghost Lights

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mister Jennings having no friends or family known to any in Collinsport, the fate of his remains (such as they are, the dogs having been most thorough in their attack) is left to Reverend Trask, as a man well acquainted with such situations.

It may be noted that Nathan and Millicent are keeping company, with poorly disguised disapproval from young Daniel, her brother, who proves to be, as many a person not yet full grown, yet hardly a small child, seems to be, an ever-present distraction from any degree of intimacy possible between the two.
Josette,Barnabas allows you to enter. The Old House proves to be poorly maintained, with only a few half-broken candles about to lessen the gloom of a home where the curtains are always drawn. Barnabas seems pale and thin. Drinking vessels containing dregs of wine scattered about here and there suggest that this has been his main source of nourishment. He avoids looking directly at you when he speaks. "I have destroyed too many lives already," he says. "I would not wish to destroy the one most precious to me."
Victoria,Townsfolk familiar with the area reveal that a body of water lies due south of Hells Bottom Swamp, known as Alamoosook Lake. "Heathen Indian name," one remarks, "not meant to be wrapt 'round a white man's tongue." Beyond that lies woodland, until one reaches Colllinsport and other harbor towns.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 am
Josette,Barnabas allows you to enter. The Old House proves to be poorly maintained, with only a few half-broken candles about to lessen the gloom of a home where the curtains are always drawn. Barnabas seems pale and thin. Drinking vessels containing dregs of wine scattered about here and there suggest that this has been his main source of nourishment. He avoids looking directly at you when he speaks. "I have destroyed too many lives already," he says. "I would not wish to destroy the one most precious to me."
Vicki,Josette replies,"I know you had come to care for Angelique, and that you must grieve for her loss. I grieve with you, for I am certain she was not always as she became. I wish you only peace Barnabas - whatever I may do to help you achieve it, you have only to ask."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

Perhaps surprisingly, Nathan makes no attempt to evade Daniel, but speaks politely to him and offers him involvement in whatever activities he and Millicent are engaged in. For her part, Millicent also welcomes her dear brother's presence.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

When not engaged with Barnabas, Josette is concerned about these stories of lights. Collinsport has been much afflicted with the unnatural of late, and while the thought is unwelcome, it occurs to her that Angelique - as a witch and a suicide - may not lie as quiet as a soul ought. She approaches both Victoria and the Reverend Trask with these worries, though both will see that she is somewhat hoping to see them dismissed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

ImageImage

Josette finds Reverend Trask and Victoria together, for the reverend has come to see her with the book in his hand. Before he can raise the subject of it, Josette speaks. "I share your concern," says Reverend Trask. "I did hear what might have been her laughing. She could still cause damage as an evil spirit. The sighting of the will-o'-the-wisp could possibly have to do with her. I'm also concerned about the remains of Jennings and what to do with them. Miss Collins suggested that they be buried on consecrated ground. I was reluctant, as he was a werewolf and a murderer. He was trying to fight his beastly nature, and she was trying to help him keep from harming anyone. Unfortunately, those efforts were unsuccessful. However, you raise a good point. Burying his remains on consecrated ground may ensure he rests in peace."

"I think that's a good idea," says Victoria. "The witnesses to the light saw it moving south. There's a lake due south of the swamp called Alamoosook Lake, which is an Indian name. Past that to the south are woods and then Collinsport."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Young Daniel, being somewhat appeased by the courtesies extended by Nathan, and genuinely fond, if precociously protective, of his sister, exhibits enjoyment of their innocent amusements together.

"Let us journey through the woods where the lights were seen. It should prove most instructive. Do not fret, dear Millicent; if there be any savages thereabouts, I shall ward them off." (There are, of course, no natives of the region, save perhaps a few here and there in reduced condition, still residing in the vicinity, having fallen victim to European maladies unknown to them, or driven westward by the settlement of the area.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The interment of Mister Jennings' remains occurs without incident, in an obscure, but consecrated corner of Eagle Hill Cemetery, the same burial ground wherein the Collins family mausoleum, relatively new of construction and, as of yet, unoccupied, is located. There are few mourners save those directly involved in the unhappy circumstances of the man's demise, and the curious.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Josette,Barnabas finally meets your gaze directly. In a pleading tone, he confesses "I fear myself driven mad by the grievous circumstances that have befallen Collinsport. Each night, when I have struggled to find peace -- each night, when the only path to slumber is by spirits and laudanum -- I hear her mocking laughter. Angelique! Will you never cease tormenting me for my sin against you! Oh, Josette, do not allow my corruption to afflict you as well!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

"An excellent idea, Master Collins," says Nathan. "Two warriors and an angel should be sufficient to banish anything that may threaten us."

Millicent wishes they wouldn't talk like that, but is pleased at the sight of them getting on so well. And there is a certain thrill to expedition.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,"[color=#FFBF80]There is not corruption enough in this world to make me hate you, Barnabas, but if my presence pains you I shall remove myself. But I will never abandon you - the tie between our hearts is too strong for it.[/color]
"If I can help, I shall," says Josette to the Reverend and Victoria. "I fear Barnabas will not rest easy until there is no more chance of harm coming at Angelique's hands. She was my maid for so long. I will never understand what could have driven her to such malice."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

An expedition to the wild country to the north of Collinsport is undertaken by the trio. There are paths here and there through the woods, made use of by hunters in search of deer and such valuable game. It is thought best to wear clothing such as may bear the ravages of an outdoor excursion without excessive wear, plain garments and sturdy boots being best suited to such a journey, as it may be necessary to dismount from horseback at times and proceed on foot.

The three adventurers set on in high spirits, the day being fine and their senses stimulated by the sights and sounds and scents of the flora and fauna inhabiting the forest. One may catch sight of a timid hare, a shy fox, or a wary owl. As the ground becomes wetter, transforming woodland to marsh, signs of the work of beavers, Nature's architects, are found.

In one such place, where it has been found necessary to dismount, a pale green glowing light, such as described by the merchants, appears at some distance away, where damp marsh yields to wetter swamp. Catching sight of it, young Daniel rushes after it, heedless of the condition of his clothes and of the hazards of the environs.

__________________________________________________________________________________

At Collinwood, much concern is raised by the sudden and inexplicable illness of Andre DuPres, who has become unable to speak or write, able only to express himself through gestures. Physicians are unable to determine a cause for these strange symptoms. He appears to grow worse at night, becoming entirely immobile. During daylight hours, he is able to move about and even mutter a word or two.

"Ils appelent . . ."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

ImageImage

"Is this your book, Miss Winters?" asks Reverend Trask, showing it to Victoria, who looks startled.

"Where did you find it?" she asks.

"In the Collins family crypt. Apparently Ben Stokes stole it from you. I saw a note inside it from Elizabeth Collins Stoddard to you, wherein she makes it a gift to you."

"Yes, that's right."

Reverend Trask returns the book to her. "Who is she?"

"She's the woman I worked for before I came here, as governess to her young nephew, David."

"The book is oddly constructed, and the illustrations are incredibly detailed. Where did she come by such a marvel?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well, she must have thought very highly of you, to give you such a wonderful gift."

"Thank you. Before we investigate the lights further, I would like to see what I can do for Andre DuPres."

When she gets a chance, Victoria goes to help Andre DuPres as best she can.
Victoria, Using Cure Light Wounds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Qui appelent?" asks Josette.

When Victoria comes, Josette shares this news, telling her it means "'They call.' But who calls? Is this the doing of these lights? Or am I being foolish - there have been so many unnatural happenings, perhaps I am overkeen to imagine more."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

"Daniel, wait!" Millicent cries as he runs off. "Nathan, please we must go after him!"

Nathan is torn for a moment as to whether he should proceed without Millicent, in case there is danger, but he cannot leave her along either. "Stay beside me," he says, emphasising the point by disregarding propriety enough to take her hand. "Do not leave my side for any reason."

"I shan't," Millicent promises.

The pair run off after Daniel.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

To an unconcerned observer, the sight of boy and light might suggest a peculiar game of follow-my-leader. The glowing, green, insubstantial sphere wanders this way and that at a height just above Daniel's head, causing him to leap into the air in multiple failed attempts to grasp it. In this manner, the strange phenomenon leads the lad deeper and deeper into a maze of ancient trees standing in the tea-colored waters of Hells Bottom Swamp. At a certain moment, the sphere appears to land upon the water, although this does not produce the ripples one would expect. Perceiving what seems to be an opportunity to seize his prey, Daniel leaps after it, only to fall into a particularly deep part of the swamp, which closes over his head. The sphere vanishes, and Daniel does not reappear.

_________________________________________________________________________________

At Collinwood, Andre's condition renders him unable to provide any further elucidation as to his enigmatic statement. Miss Winters' ministrations do not seem to avail his affliction to any degree, suggesting that it is other than strictly physical in nature. More alarming is the fact that the Countess DuPres has fallen victim to the selfsame malady. Unable to communicate in any other fashion, she feebly offers the onlookers a card from the deck she so often consults.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

ImageImage

"Medicine will not cure this illness," says Reverend Trask. "Perhaps prayer can be of more assistance." Victoria joins him in his prayer for the healing of the DuPres.
OOC, The image doesn't appear for me. I edited my post above. I'd forgotten that [b]David[/b] was [b]Elizabeth[/b]'s nephew, not her son.
Victoria, [b]Reverend Trask[/b] will use Exorcism.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

"Daniel!" screams Millicent.

As the pursuers reach the water, Nathan takes an instant to scan the surface to see if it's clear enough to spot the boy. Regardless, they can see where he stood on dry land, and thus the closest safe ground to where he went under. "Stay here," he tells Millicent when they reach it, before plunging into the water in an attempt to reach Daniel and pull him to safety.
OOC,I don't know what Nathan's Perversity is, but one would assume it is above the level where he could benefit from Inspiration of the Virtuous - however, Millicent would unhesitatingly spend her Grace point for the sake of her brother. I'm not sure what I have to roll against, but assuming it'll be at least one roll to find him and one to pull him out: 1D20: 4. 1D20: 19, rerolled because of Grace Point, 2.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette adds her prayers to those of Victoria and the Reverend.
OOC,If there is a roll, she will spend her Grace point for a reroll if necessary.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
For those unable to see the image, it is of the Tarot card Justice, inverted.

Millicent has spent a Faith point.
No doubt it is with a storm of mixed emotions that Millicent witnesses the peril facing her brother, and the heroic action of Nathan in rescuing him from it. Terror, anxiety, hope, admiration, and joy; a heady mixture to experience in so short a space of time. As Nathan carries the boy back to dry land, both of them sodden and filthy, it seems likely she will recall the prediction offered by the Countess DuPres; might the cards have spoken of true remorse and redemption on the part of the former naval officer? Does not Scripture have it that there shall be joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth?

Of more immediate concern is the condition of young Daniel. He does not appear to bear any injuries of body nor, indeed, the agitation of mind that one would expect in such a situation. Rather he exhibits a strange calm, speaking softly, in the manner of one granted a rare vision.

"Do you not hearken to their call? Such sweet voices."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
Attempt to resist the Exorcism spell, with two Faith point rerolls if needed. 1d20 = 6. No need for Josette or Victoria to spend Faith.
It would appear that spiritual healing succeeds where physical did not. Andre and the Countess recover from their mysterious ailments, with no memory of what may have so afflicted them. Upon witnessing the figure of Justice Inverted which she selected from the pack of divination cards whilst incommunicado, the Countess herself does not know the exact reason she chose it.

"The goddess of Justice, reversed; she becomes Revenge, does she not?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

ImageImage

"No good will come of those cards, Countess," says Reverend Trask. "God in His mercy has granted you healing, and that is not a gift to be taken lightly. You would do well not to use the cards any more and obey His commandment prohibiting divination. They open a door through which evil can enter."

"I was thinking Injustice would be the opposite of Justice," says Victoria, "but Revenge would fit too as a twisted version of it. Could Angelique be seeking it from beyond the grave?"

"That is possible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette shivers at the Victoria's dark suggestion. "What can we do?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have already healed those who were sickened," says Reverend Trask. "Evil spirits can be banished in by the same means, through prayer. Perhaps those lights are manifestations of such things. If they are, then if I can locate them, they can be driven away."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”