The Ghost Lights

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: The Ghost Lights

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"I am at your service, Miss," Amos says softly, before taking his own leave. "You may leave messages for me at the Eagle." You know the Eagle to be a tavern of low reputation, not one where a respectable lady would be found.

Try as you might, there is no way to avoid Abigail's accusations whilst you are in residence at Collinwood. Specifically, she has described the incident, in the blackest possible terms, to her brother Joshua, head of the family. The two of them confront you. It is evident that Abigail will not pay heed to anything you say, but Joshua assumes a neutral tone.

"Well, Miss DuPres, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Standing firm by your side is your aunt, the Countess, while your father has, understandably, absented himself for the moment.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan grumbles a bit, but he cannot truly fault the officer's response, seeing that it was his own merely minutes before.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The situation is not as it appears," says Josette. "Mr Stewart is the man who saved my life during the rescue of Daniel, together with those of several of his fellows. He is naturally concerned with my welfare, as any man in his position might be, whilst I am naturally grateful. Though it is not his station by birth, his behaviour has been as naught but a gentleman, and I am not ashamed to treat him in such wise."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

Victoria and Reverend Trask tell the constable everything that happened and what provoked the fight, and they both go with the constable to the gaol.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

At the gaol, the constable elicits statements from both witnesses and the three combatants. As these accounts of the skirmish are not entirely congruent, chiefly due to the mendacious words of the two who first came to blows, both claiming that Forbes started the fight, all three will be required to spend the night in a cell, to face the mayor, who also serves as magistrate and in other offices. The constable also directs Miss Winters and Reverend Trask to secure lodgings for the night and not to leave the village, as their presence will be required at the hearing. This is a matter of some difficulty, as there is no traveler's rest as such in Portland, and one must make inquiry among private homes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shall inquire at the church to see if I can stay there," says Reverend Trask. "While there, I can also ask if there is a respectable lady in Portland who can take you in for the night, Miss Winters."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Reverend Trask," says Victoria.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Be alert, both of you," Nathan says, a somewhat rueful tone lacing his voice.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The desired lodgings are secured, and the night passes uneventfully.

The next morning, a curious crowd of onlookers crowd the gaol, which also must serve as the place where the mayor/magistrate will hear witnesses. There is, at first, some chaos among the crowd, until it is finally brought to order. Several remarks directed at the mayor indicate that many of the persons herein gathered, perhaps out of some misguided distrust of strangers, are ready to swear that Nathan Forbes started the altercations. Commanding silence, the mayor asks Miss Winters, Reverend Trask, and Nathan Forbes for their initial statements, after which he will hear from others.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan sticks to the truth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria tells the truth as well, emphasizing that Nathan Forbes was trying to stop the fight between the two sailors.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask also tells the truth, confirming the accounts of Victoria and Nathan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There is sufficient evidence, combined with the reputation of those found habitually at the establishment, for justice to be served. (In this particular instance, this takes the form of a small fine, which is unlikely to be paid soon, if ever.)

Meanwhile, the delay has caused the trail of the refugees to grow cool, presenting a further difficulty in determining the current whereabouts of Barnabas and Sarah; or, indeed, in discovering the reason for their flight from Collinsport.

The phenomenon of the unnatural St. Elmo's Fire continues unabated; so much so, in fact, that the shipping trade is threatened, given the reluctance of seamen to board the affected vessels.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

CHA roll, with bonuses for you.d20

Joshua is persuaded of your innocence, although Abigail remains hostile. In confidence, Joshua admits that his sister is closer in spirit to their Puritan ancestors than the more enlightened attitudes of modern times.

"Nevertheless, It might be wise to remove all doubt by removing yourself from the man's company for a time.

"Might I suggest a trip to Portland? I do not wish to alarm the family, but I have had reports -- mere rumors, to be honest -- that not all is well with Miss Winters and my daughter, and they may be stranded in that village."

It is notable that he does not mention his son.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure they're on their way to Boston," says Victoria. "They must be going by land, but we can get ahead of them if we travel by sea."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We will need to hire a boat," says Reverend Trask, "and convince the people here that it is safe to sail - or at least as safe as it ever is. Safer now that the wreckers have been routed. Hopefully most of the sailors that came with us will continue with us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Certainly I have no desire to linger here," says Nathan. "Let us see who among our former crew can be induced to come with us."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

ImageImage

"Of course I will help in any way I can," says Josette, concern for her friend and the child overwhelming other concerns for now.

When Millicent learns of the proposed journey, she will suggest her own presence also - two young ladies can chaperone one another, and she too would like to reassure herself as to the safety of those stranded.

Josette will not risk making trouble for Mr Stewart by overtly seeking him out, but she will let it be put about that she is attempting to secure passage aboard a ship, in the hopes that he might sign on to its crew.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Whilst engaged in the difficult and time-consuming process of recruiting sufficient crew for an expedition to Boston -- the delay due not only to the superstitious regard the sailors have for the continuing unexplained phenomenon of Saint Elmo's Fire during daylight and clear weather, but to a certain resentment felt by many of the seafarers to two of their own subjected to fines, albeit only those unlikely to be paid -- word comes to Portland that a small vessel from Collinsport has arrived, bearing a pair of young ladies as passengers, as well as a small crew.
Spoiler:
3d4
To be precise, eight men of the sea, under the informal command of one Amos Stewart who, although holding no formal title of captain, has managed to assemble said crew, as well as vessel, through sheer force of character. (Surely the fact that the curious phenomenon noted in Portland is no longer reported in Collinsport is also a factor in his success.)

In short, Mademoiselle Dupres and Miss Collins have arrived safely in Portland, with a party of brave men and true, to aid in the search for the absconding siblings. After much conference, the searchers set sail, again without incident, save for the fact that the unnatural Saint Elmo's Fire, as if it were a fellow voyager, leaves Portland and is seen amongst the ships in the harbor of Boston.

Boston! That great city! Home to a score of thousands of souls! Where, in that mighty metropolis, might Barnabas and Sarah Collins be found?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Is it following us or the Collins siblings?" wonders Nathan. "It is to be hoped that Mr Collins will take himself to the more genteel areas of the city, so as to not expose his young sister to the rougher parts of the city. Not that he showed such consideration in Portland."

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”