An Informal Tribunal

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: An Informal Tribunal

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"That earring belonged to Suki Forbes," says Victoria. "I recognize it from when I was introduced to her. It has a unique design."

"Interesting," says Reverend Trask. "I found this earring at the scene of the earlier murder. She most likely witnessed the murder, and it is highly likely that the same killer tracked her down and killed her for that reason. I wonder what Lt. Forbes's whereabouts were at the time of the first murder?"
OOC,I had no trouble reading either color.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Persuaded by Josette to meet with Reverend Trask, Barnabas makes arrangement to have the clergyman arrive at the office where he is currently employed, in order to make their encounter as discreet as possible. When Reverend Trask arrives, he finds Barnabas seated at a small table, in a dark corner of the Collinsport customs office, where he is engaged in recording the coming and going of ships and cargo, bent over and writing in a large ledger by the dim light of a single candle. Upon seeing his guest approach, he lays his pen upon the desk and nods to him.

"What is it that you wish to know?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joshua's attempts to comfort Millicent are sincere, if rather clumsy.

"Thank heaven the marriage had not yet taken place! Forbes shall have to deal with the expenses on his own, if he does not wind up at the end of a noose!"

This possibility would seem to be more distressing than pleasing.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Prior to meeting with Barnabas Collins, Reverend Trask receives the information that Nathan Forbes was seen, by several witnesses -- given their low nature, one cannot really call them reliable witnesses -- carousing at the Eagle tavern on the night of the first murder. If this be true, it would seem to make it impossible for him to have been responsible for the crime. That does not excuse him from the murder of Suki Forbes, however. In the opinion of the constable, Forbes deliberately arranged her death in such manner as to suggest it was the work of the same villain as the first.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent anxiously follows the the news of Nathan's arrest, hoping that she was not so foolish as to fall in love with a murderer on top everything else.

Josette wishes to repay Miss Winters, and attempts to keep a watchful eye on her in case whatever evil force is overshadowing the Collins fanily should choose take reprisal for her interference.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria is grateful for Josette's presence, and she resolves to protect her in return.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask tells the constable his theory that Suki Forbes was most likely killed because she witnessed the first murder as shown by her earring being found at the scene, which would mean that the same person murdered both of them, and therefore it could not have been Lt. Forbes. While he is there, he inquires as to the details of the second murder and examines that crime scene.

"Thank you, Mr. Collins," says Reverend Trask to Barnabas when he arrives. "You have had better opportunity to anyone to observe Angelique. Do you know her whereabouts at the times of the murders? Suki Forbes was at the scene of the first murder. I believe she witnessed it, and this is why she was murdered too. If your wife was present at either one, she could be in danger too." He knows that the love spell would prevent Barnabas from being suspicious of Angelique, but this gives him a way of asking without offending him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I thank you for your concern," Barnabas replies, "but I do not think you have any reason to worry. As she promised before many witnesses, she is a most dutiful and obedient wife, and spends each evening at home, either engaged in such housewifery as needlework or, during her few idle moments, reading. Often she attempts to brighten my mood by regaling me with tales from her island home. Of course, there are times when the late arrival of a ship requires me to spend part of the night in this office, so I cannot absolutely swear as to her whereabouts on such occasions; but it seems unlikely that she would have reason to go into the village after dark."

After bidding Barnabas good day, Reverend Trask examines the room where Suki Forbes was found dead. Everything is as it was at the dreadful moment of the murder, save for the removal of the body. The state of the small cot therein indicates that the victim was lying upon the bed at the moment of death. She was, however, found fully clothed, so was, apparently, not asleep. The one window is far too small for even a child to enter, so the murderer could not have entered in that fashion. Although it seems impossible for entry to have been made in any way other than the door to the room, no witness claims to have heard or seen anyone do so. The condition of the room suggests there was little or no struggle. Despite the condition of the body, there are no traces of blood to be found.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Inevitably, Nathan Forbes is placed on trial for the murder of Suki Forbes. The prosecution's case is entirely circumstantial, there being no witnesses to the crime. In order to establish the defendant's character, everyone who was present at Collinswood during the past several days is brought to the witness stand, and asked to state their opinion of both the victim and the accused. Although only peripheral to the events, this includes Victoria and Josette. Particularly vital will be the testimony of Millicent Collins, although this is likely to be an ordeal for her. Reverend Trask, whose private investigation of the case has been noted by the court, will be asked to render an opinion as well.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Victoria's turn to testify comes, she tells what she knows. She is not well acquainted with Lt. Forbes, but she does make sure to mention that the earring that Reverend Trask found at the scene of the first murder did belong to Suki Forbes, as she remembers it from when she was first introduced to her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask shares with the court his belief that both murders were committed by the same individual, given the similarities between them. He also brings up his theory that Suki Forbes may have witnessed the first murder, or at least that the killer may have believed her to have seen it, as the earring placed her at the scene. "I believe Suki Forbes was murdered to keep her from identifying the murderer of the first victim," he says. "She was killed in the exact same way, and except for those of us involved in the investigation, only the actual killer of the first victim would have known the details that had not been made public. Therefore, the same person must have committed both murders. While Lt. Forbes does not have an alibi for the second murder, he has an unimpeachable alibi for the first. Therefore, he cannot be the murderer."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent says as little as she can get away with about her relationship with Nathan, not wishing to appear foolish, though she will admit truthfully to anything directly asked of her. Of Suki she will say, "He told me on the night he was arrested that Miss Forbes had approached him often for money. He also told me of her death, but not in a manner of relief - he said, I recall, that fate had made a fool of him."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette's testimony to the effect of, "I had but little contact with Mr Forbes, and all of it in a social setting, so I can not offer much in attestment as to his character. I can however say that even when he was in ill temper, which was often of late, I seldom witnessed him raise his voice in anger, and never his hand. I was shown the earring by Reverend Trask, but did not recognise it."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Taking all of this evidence into consideration, the magistrate returns a verdict of Not Guilty. However, he also decrees, given ex-Lieutenant (dishonorably discharged from service) Forbes' many unpaid debts, and apparent lack of resources, that he be held in gaol until such time as the debts are paid in full.

"But that's a life sentence," protests the young man.

"Not necessarily. The court further decrees that, should anyone pay the moneys owed, that you be employed by said person as an indentured servant for a period of time to be determined.

"Court adjourned!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Following the trial Millicent goes to visit Nathan, and asks how much money he owes. She suggests that if she could persuade her uncle and brother to pay the debt, perhaps he could seek redemption in the employ of the Collins family. It must be better than the debtors' gaol. "But you must be honest about the amount, Nathan. If they discover a lie, you would be back here, or at best dismissed and penniless. But with us you would have a chance to become the man you once convinced me you were,"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette goes to speak with Victoria after the trial. "I am glad that our testimony helped exonorate Mr Forbes. He is guilty of many lies and deceptions, it is true, but I do not believe him a murderer. But it still leaves us facing a great danger, perhaps more than one."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"Yes, I'm glad he was exonerated too," says Victoria. "I don't think he's a murderer either. That does mean that the actual murderer - or murderers - is still out there. Angelique is dangerous enough, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she's responsible for this too. Reverend Trask has done a good job investigating the murders, and it was his testimony that was key to Lt. Forbes's acquittal. I just hope he's able to find out who is actually responsible. Perhaps we can help him, as we did before."

It is at that moment that Reverend Trask arrives. "I believe I can be of service," he says. "I did not want to say anything earlier, but I believe that the murderer is a vampire. A foul, blasphemous creature of the dead that used to be a man - or a woman - but no longer is. The vampire preys on the living, drinking the victim's blood." He fills them in on the evidence he saw at the crime scenes and the first victim's body that suggests that. "Had these been conventional murders, there would have been much blood spilled, but none was found. A vampire would have been careful not to waste any. The punctures on the first victim are the sign of the vampire's bite. Vampires have great strength, as the killer indeed did, and they are said to be able to change their form. Nobody saw anyone go in or out of the door to Suki Forbes's room, and the window was far too small, but a vampire could have used it. In spite of their powers, vampires have weaknesses. As unholy things, they are repelled by all things holy. A crucifix, when brandished by one with faith, will keep them at bay. Holy water is also harmful to them. I have both in abundant supply. They are also said to be repulsed by garlic, and it is said that silver and fire can harm them. To slay a vampire, one can drive a wooden stake through its heart, or cut off its head. This is very difficult to do when a vampire is out and about, but vampires also shun the light of day. They are reputed to sleep in coffins in the daytime."

"What about the Collins family crypt? Nobody is buried there as yet, and it would be the perfect place for a vampire to hide. Might there be a coffin or something like that inside it?"

"There might indeed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"If a vampire moves abroad at night, you propose visiting the crypt by day? I will pray for the success of your endeavour, but I am not sure that I would be of much use to you." says Josette.
Vicki,She has both the Cowardly and Afraid of the Dark afflictions, so she'd be at -6 if she tried to visit a vampire haunted crypt, even during the day.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Precisely," says Reverend Trask. "In the daytime, the vampire will be vulnerable. It would be too dangerous to go at night. If the vampire were there, or if it came back early, it would likely end badly. I would not think of asking you ladies to accompany me into such danger. I shall go alone, and well-equipped to deal with a vampire should I find one there. I thank you for your prayers, Miss. I think I may have need of them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Following the trial Millicent goes to visit Nathan, and asks how much money he owes. She suggests that if she could persuade her uncle and brother to pay the debt, perhaps he could seek redemption in the employ of the Collins family. It must be better than the debtors' gaol. "But you must be honest about the amount, Nathan. If they discover a lie, you would be back here, or at best dismissed and penniless. But with us you would have a chance to become the man you once convinced me you were,"
Spoiler:
DIE ROLLs[dice]242962:0[/dice][dice]242962:1[/dice]
Despite much tearful pleading, Millicent's efforts to have either Joshua or Daniel secure Nathan's services in return for payment of the debts fall upon stony ground. Neither wishes to have more to do with the rascal. Out of desperation, Nathan himself goes to two who have themselves known public shaming: Barnabas and Angelique Collins. If not wealthy, they could at least provide him with victuals and lodging while he slowly pays off what he owes.
Spoiler:
die rolls[dice]0[/dice]
At first, Barnabas is reluctant. However, much moved by the young man's plight, Angelique persuades her husband to accept him into their home. From naval officer to manservant is a mighty fall; much pride, did, indeed, go before it.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Tune in next time for our next exciting episode!

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”