An Informal Tribunal

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

An Informal Tribunal

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

When Nathan learns of his inability to obtain the desired funds from his bride-to-be, there is a noticeable change in his humor. From tender affection toward Millicent he now shows only cool politeness. His attitude to young Daniel approaches insolence. He often spends time at the Eagle, a tavern of less than the highest reputation.

Meanwhile, a meeting is arranged, as desired, amongst Reverend Trask, Victoria, Josette, and Jeremiah. The latter appears to place his trust in Victoria's plea of innocence, based on Josette's defense of her, but perhaps he suspects that Josette has herself been bewitched.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: An Informal Tribunal

Post by SunlessNick »

With there being nothing she can do about the money, Millicent attempts to placate Nathan and inspire him to be again the man he was. She assures him that she entreated Joshua and Daniel on his behalf.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette repeats to Jeremiah the account she gave Reverend Trask, including that it was Victoria who pulled her back from the cliff, preventing her from falling.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

While she knows she may be giving up her chance of going home, Victoria resolves to tell the truth - or at least the parts of it that don't refer to whence she came. She cannot just throw herself at Angelique's mercy and abandon Josette, who might then fall prey to Angelique's next plot. "It is just as Josette said," she says. "I was worried about her melancholy state after Barnabas broke his engagement with her, so I accompanied her on her walks. I noticed the effect that the music from the music box was having on her, and when she went toward the edge of Widow's Walk, I just knew what she intended. Fortunately, I caught up with her and managed to close the box, which I suppose broke the spell. During the brief moment when I touched it while it was still open, I felt a sudden sensation of homesickness, but that went away as soon as I shut it. I know Angelique gave her the box. I can't imagine why she would want to harm Josette. If she wanted Barnabas all to herself, she already had him. Maybe she feared that his affections for her would return, and she decided to eliminate the competition." She gives Reverend Trask the music box, glad to be rid of it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss Winters," says Reverend Trask, accepting the box but being sure to keep it closed. "Your swift action and instincts have averted a tragedy, and you have furnished me with solid proof. I have no wish to experience the effects of this devil's instrument for myself, but whoever sits in judgment should be able to do so briefly without lasting ill effects, as you have done. And we have your testimony. By two or three witnesses shall all things be established." He focuses on Jeremiah. "Have you anything to add, Mr. Collins?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
With there being nothing she can do about the money, Millicent attempts to placate Nathan and inspire him to be again the man he was. She assures him that she entreated Joshua and Daniel on his behalf.
At a certain moment of extreme distress, as of yet unexplained, Nathan shouts "You silly little fool! Did you think I wanted to marry you for your pretty face and fine manners? I needed money, so that Suki would not harry me for the rest of my life. I am ruined! Ruined!" This confession is followed by wild laughter, without a trace of mirth.

"And for what? Nothing! Fate has made a fool of me! Suki is dead!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Visibly nervous and trembling, Jeremiah stammers out his response.

"I cannot contradict Josette's testimony, for I know her to be a person of pure and noble heart. Unless," he continues, "that quality has been torn out of her soul by sorcery. I have no proof of this.

"Nothing will cause me to say anything against my darling -- I mean, Miss Winters. No, not even torture would make me speak one word against her!"

It is not evident whether these statements have been particularly helpful.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent's reactions to these revelations fall out of her in a jumbled stream. "Your sister? I don't undestand! How can she be dead? Nathan, what are you saying to me? You said you loved me!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette appears perplexed at Jeremiah's testimony. "It would be mere hubris for me to make any claim as the quality of my own heart, but you may rest eay as to that of Miss WInters, Sir."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"Your darling?" says Reverend Trask, raising an eyebrow.

"Jeremiah Collins has confessed his love for me," says Victoria. "I did not do anything to entice him, and I do not know why. I explained that I had no wish to rise above my station."

"There seems to be a plague of Collins men falling in love with servant women. I believe Angelique used witchcraft to win Barnabas's affections. I am wondering if the same thing may have happened to Jeremiah Collins."

"It's possible that Angelique could be responsible for that as well."

"But why would she have done that? How could it possibly benefit her?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Millicent's reactions to these revelations fall out of her in a jumbled stream. "Your sister? I don't undestand! How can she be dead? Nathan, what are you saying to me? You said you loved me!"
Driven, it seems, to distraction by the hopelessness of his situation, Nathan makes confession, no doubt aware that things cannot be much worse.

"Love! The love of money is the root of all good, ha-ha! And she whom you know as my sister? Your money paid the price for her silence. Not that it matters now, since the silence of the grave needs no payment!"

There may have been further distressing information forthcoming, were not this baring of the soul interrupted by the entry of an officer of the law. (In point of fact, the only officer of the law Collinsport possesses.)

"Nathan Forbes, you are to accompany me for questioning in the murder of Suki Forbes."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Nice job playing two roles, both of you, by the way.
The information thus obtained by this hastily assembled meeting suggests that further inquiry is necessary, particularly when it is discovered that Suki Forbes was found dead in her room at the inn, baring the same marks of violence as the previous victim. Should Barnabas and Angelique be questioned, and possibly others as well?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"I'm not sure how witchcraft works," says Victoria, "but could Angelique have made a mistake? She might have intended for Jeremiah Collins to fall in love with Josette instead of me. That would have broken their engagement just as effectively, and then Angelique could have Barnabas all to herself. Since it didn't work, she then made Barnabas fall in love with her."

"It is possible," says Reverend Trask. "It is my suspicion that she used her herbs to make a love potion. If the man imbibing the potion is caused to fall in love with the first woman he sees, and he sees a different woman than intended first, that could happen. There's also the matter of the murders, both the one on the docks and the murder of Suki Forbes. They may be related. I have to wonder if Angelqiue is involved somehow. I found an earring at the scene of the first murder. Do any of you recognize it?" He shows it around, though he knows Josette has already seen it.
OOC,Thank you!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Nathan Forbes, you are to accompany me for questioning in the murder of Suki Forbes."

Millicent wails in distress as everything she thought she knew about the man she loves is torn away from her. But this final revelation drives her into a swoon.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Nice job playing two roles, both of you, by the way.
Spoiler:
Thankyou!
The information thus obtained by this hastily assembled meeting suggests that further inquiry is necessary, particularly when it is discovered that Suki Forbes was found dead in her room at the inn, baring the same marks of violence as the previous victim. Should Barnabas and Angelique be questioned, and possibly others as well?
"These dark matters are so very beyond me, but if I can help, I shall. Perhaps Barnabas may be moved if I can speak to him alone and tell him of these suspicions."
Mr. Handy wrote:"I'm not sure how witchcraft works," says Victoria, "but could Angelique have made a mistake? She might have intended for Jeremiah Collins to fall in love with Josette instead of me. That would have broken their engagement just as effectively, and then Angelique could have Barnabas all to herself. Since it didn't work, she then made Barnabas fall in love with her."
"With me? I suppose it would have. And your own arrival was most sudden, Miss Winters - difficult for one to anticipate."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"That is true," says Reverend Trask. "It may help if you speak to Barnabas in private, but you would have to be careful lest Angelique find out about it. She strikes me as the jealous type."

Victoria nods. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned," she adds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Word spreads rapidly throughout the village of Collinsport about the arrest of Lieutenant Nathan Forbes, who insists that he is entirely innocent of the murder of Suki Forbes, although he is without alibi for the time of night of the killing. It is assumed that the victim knew her assailant, as there are no signs of a struggle. Rumor has it that Suki was actually the estranged wife of Nathan, and that she was blackmailing him to conceal that fact, masquerading as his sister at his request. Nathan admits all this, but states that he had never raised his hand in violence to her. With an obvious motive and apparent opportunity, he is the primary suspect, and currently occupies the sole cell in the Collinsport gaol.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Josette,Whilst Angelique is occupied with marketing, a brief, secret meeting is arranged with Barnabas. He is obviously uncomfortable in the company of the woman he abandoned, but conceals nothing from her. "Angelique is well aware that I do not love her, as I shall always love you, but is willing to accept me as husband and hope that my affection for her will grow. In truth, how often do love and marriage go together? I have chosen what I hope is the least dishonorable path for my life. It is impossible for me to avoid hurting one or the other of you. Angelique is willing to overlook my sins; I could not ask you to do the same. You are better off without me. I wish you well."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Unexplained die rolls[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Winters is able to identify the earring as belonging to Suki Forbes. She noticed its unusual design whilst being briefly introduced to her when she first arrived.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Josette,Whilst Angelique is occupied with marketing, a brief, secret meeting is arranged with Barnabas. He is obviously uncomfortable in the company of the woman he abandoned, but conceals nothing from her. "Angelique is well aware that I do not love her, as I shall always love you, but is willing to accept me as husband and hope that my affection for her will grow. In truth, how often do love and marriage go together? I have chosen what I hope is the least dishonorable path for my life. It is impossible for me to avoid hurting one or the other of you. Angelique is willing to overlook my sins; I could not ask you to do the same. You are better off without me. I wish you well."

"I vowed once I would not stand in the way of your marriage to Angelique, and of course now I can not," says Josette. "But there are some who believe there may be more to these events. Who believe that Angelique has bewitched you, and me. I beg you, for the sake of the love we shared, and which you yourself have confessed we still share, come away with me out of her shadow. Speak with Reverend Trask."
OOC,Is this easier to read than the colour I've been using?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Assuming Millicent is conveyed home, and upon learning the further depths of Nathan's perfidy, she goes to Joshua and begs hs forgiveness. "I have been such a fool! Every word he spoke to me was a lie!"

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”