Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
A slight clarification: Millicent is a distant cousin of the other Collins. Her only close relative is her young brother Daniel, their parents both deceased. She is, in fact, an heiress, in charge of a considerable sum of money; in the eyes of the law, however, even the boy Daniel might be considered to have power over her fortune, if he so chose.
Spoiler:
Sorry - I'd got into my head that I was Barnabas's sister and Joashua's daughter. So I should be calling both Joshua and Jeremiah uncle? But unless either of them object I am free to give the money to Nathan if I wish? I edited my previous post.
As days go by, Suki frequently pays visits to the Collins mansion, often wearing a new frock, generally brightly colored in a gaudy manner, and of expensive, if not overly tasteful design. For one said to be in distress, her mood seems bright, even gay. Nathan, meanwhile, is often moody and sullen, as if some great burden weighs upon his mind.

Millicent offer Suki her apologies for misjudging her on her first visit, and remarks how well she is bearing up (though she makes no direct reference to what circumstances she might be bearing up under).
Last edited by SunlessNick on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"But... how can this be?" Josette asks. "Angelique, after all my mother has done for you! And Barnabas, how-"

Charisma 11, Rolled 1D20, got 13

Josette swoons under the shock, collapsing onto the floor.

Millicent rushes to her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria also hurries to Josette's side, genuinely concerned for her. This is similar to what she had read in the history book, but she doesn't even need to feign surprise. With so many differences, it is shocking to see something turn out almost the same. She recalls that Josette is destined to die by jumping from Widow's Walk, and this is probably why. Hopefully she can dissuade Josette from doing anything drastic. "Does anyone have smelling salts?" she asks, thinking that Angelique is the most likely to possess them, given her herb collection.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

This incident immediately raises Reverend Trask's suspicions of Angelique. Has she cast a love spell upon Barnabas? he thinks. "What has taken hold of you?" he asks Barnabas. "Think about what you are doing. You have been engaged to Josette for some time. Just how long have you wanted to marry Angelique?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:
Millicent offer Suki her apologies for misjudging her on her first visit, and remarks how well she is bearing up (though she makes no direct reference to what circumstances she might be bearing up under).
"Oh, la," Suki replies merrily, "now that--" she interrupts herself with a fit of giggling "-- my brother takes care of me, all is well for the moment. So, has Nathan asked for your hand yet? He'd be ever so fine a husband!" She is reduced to laughter again.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The ladies of the household rushing to the aid of Josette, and Joshua angrily chastising his son for this grotesque betrayal of affection, bringing infamy to the name of Collins, there is much anguish at Collinswood. Despite the entreaties of father and mother, and the torment endured by the jilted bride-to-be, Barnabas cannot be swayed. He addresses Reverend Trask directly, although his confession is meant to be heard by all.

"Whilst dealing with affairs of business in the West Indies, I first paid court to Josette. But great sinner that I am, I endeavored to seduce a servant, as so many of my station have done, to the blackening of their souls."

At this juncture, Angelique covers her face with her hands.

"The crime is entirely my own. I had my way with Angelique. Poor weaker vessel! How could she defend her honor against one of my class? I thought little of the matter at first, but as days went by, I could not escape the pangs of conscience. Then, when Angelique arrived here, and I saw the pain in her eyes -- pain that went unexpressed, without a word of reproach for the fiend who ruined her! -- I was determined to reveal the wickedness of my actions. I shall make her an honest woman, though it means I must cause great suffering to those who are as pure as I am corrupt."

Angelique, now openly weeping, falls to her knees before Barnabas.

"I shall be a loving and dutiful wife, I swear it!"

At some point, speaking in a voice of ice, Joshua states that, if he is determined to go through with this madness, Barnabas will be disinherited, forced to make his own way in the world. As one final, undeserved act of charity, entirely because he believes that Angelique is entirely innocent in this matter, he will allow them to live in the old mansion, while the rest of the family moves into the recently completed new mansion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know he has hurt you greatly, Josette," says Victoria, "but do not give up hope. You can still find love with a better man. You are young and beautiful, and of a good and noble family. Suitors will be lining up for the chance to woo you. It is preferable that you learn of Barnabas's true nature before you were wed than after."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask is not convinced of Angelique's innocence in the matter, though he holds his peace about that for now while he is in front of everyone. Perhaps later he can discuss his suspicions with Joshua in private. Clearly Barnabas has sinned greatly by his own admission, but he has at least confessed it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"I know he has hurt you greatly, Josette," says Victoria, "but do not give up hope. You can still find love with a better man. You are young and beautiful, and of a good and noble family. Suitors will be lining up for the chance to woo you. It is preferable that you learn of Barnabas's true nature before you were wed than after."

"Y- You are right Miss Winters," sobs Josette. "It is better that I know, than to marry a man who would commit such a crime. All the more now he has repented - alas I cannot stand in the way of his making atonement."

Later she approaches Angelique in private, refusing to discuss the matter any more than what she has come to say: "I am resolved not to stand in the way of Barnabas wedding you, if that is also your desire. But I hope you will appreciate that it would be improper for us to continue the association we have. I regret that I must dismiss you from my service."
Vicki,Is it up to me whether Josette goes through with her suicide?
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

At a quiet moment, Millicent will request a walk with Nathan, ostensibly to ease her nerves from the strife within the household - an excuse with more than a little truth to it, but nonetheless a pretext. When they are alone, she will say, "Firstly, Nathan, I must apologise for my having neglected your request these last few weeks. I know it a poor repayment for the courage you showed, humbling yourself to me. There has been so much distress. So much. If I can ease but one person's burden, it is surely my duty to do so. I will sign the necessary documents to advance the money to you."
Cutting off whatever reply he starts to make, she adds, "I know you are about to say I should consult with my Uncle first, but with the illness of my poor Aunt, and now this terrible revelation from Barnabas, I would not wish to add to his troubles."
Spoiler:
Bad Judge of Character is right there on my character sheet :) .
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,Is it up to me whether Josette goes through with her suicide?
Spoiler:
That is entirely up to you. Consider this game, as well as the other one, to be completely different universes. I will add that, if you die, you will return as a ghost, and would be allowed to continue play in that form.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: At a quiet moment, Millicent will request a walk with Nathan, ostensibly to ease her nerves from the strife within the household - an excuse with more than a little truth to it, but nonetheless a pretext. When they are alone, she will say, "Firstly, Nathan, I must apologise for my having neglected your request these last few weeks. I know it a poor repayment for the courage you showed, humbling yourself to me. There has been so much distress. So much. If I can ease but one person's burden, it is surely my duty to do so. I will sign the necessary documents to advance the money to you."
Cutting off whatever reply he starts to make, she adds, "I know you are about to say I should consult with my Uncle first, but with the illness of my poor Aunt, and now this terrible revelation from Barnabas, I would not wish to add to his troubles."

"My dearest one! You are too kind, far too kind. Now that I am more than ever convinced of the angelic nature of your heart, I dare speak what my own unworthiness forbid me to say."

He falls to one knee and takes her hand.

"My darling, would you ever find it within your stainless soul to wed such a one as I?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Angelique is most understanding of the feelings of her former mistress, and is appreciative that she does not blame her for the terrible pain she is enduring.

"I cannot ask you to be my friend," she says, "for I know that to look upon me would be to open a wound that would not heal. Instead, allow me to offer some small amount of solace, if such is possible."

She presents Josette with a music box of exquisite design which plays a charming little melody when opened.

"It -- it was to be my wedding present to you," she continues with a trembling voice. "Please accept it, that you may know that I bear you no ill will."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Reverend Trask is not convinced of Angelique's innocence in the matter, though he holds his peace about that for now while he is in front of everyone. Perhaps later he can discuss his suspicions with Joshua in private. Clearly Barnabas has sinned greatly by his own admission, but he has at least confessed it.
Whilst in private consultation with Joshua, Reverend Trask happens to mention the name of Barnabas, to which the former gentleman makes reply in as cold a voice as the man of God has ever heard.

"I am afraid you are mistaken, sir. I have no son. Thank God I have a daughter to console me in my old age! I know no one by the name of Barnabas, nor do I wish to know any person of that name. As for whatever investigations you wish to make, that is your own affair."

There could be no greater evidence that the bond between father and son is entirely severed. Naomi, on the other hand, retains the natural affection of mother for child, despite the crimes of her offspring. She often visits him when Joshua is otherwise occupied. It is also noticeable that she has greatly increased her consumption of sherry.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"My darling, would you ever find it within your stainless soul to wed such a one as I?"

"Oh dearest Nathan, I know not what to say. If I appear to hesitate, it is only because I fear to wound poor Josette with such happy news so soon after her heartbreak. Be assured I accept your proposal, but I beg that we might delay the announcement a short while longer."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"It -- it was to be my wedding present to you," she continues with a trembling voice. "Please accept it, that you may know that I bear you no ill will."

"It is quite beautiful," says Josette. "I thank you for the gift, no matter the circumstance. May Barnabas always treat you as a husband ought." She takes her leave, uncertain what to do with the music box, the sight of which which opens the same manner of wound as Angelique herself - still, she retires to her room and plays it just the once - to do otherwise would be churlish.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria will tell Jeremiah in private about the similarity to what she knows from the history, as well as the difference, concerning Barnabas marrying Angelique.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask seeks out Naomi, both to caution her against drinking too much sherry, and to sound her out on her opinion of Angelique.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: "Oh dearest Nathan, I know not what to say. If I appear to hesitate, it is only because I fear to wound poor Josette with such happy news so soon after her heartbreak. Be assured I accept your proposal, but I beg that we might delay the announcement a short while longer."
"Of course. I understand completely. My lips shall remain sealed for as long as you desire." He seals their secret compact with a gentle kiss.

Some time later, having secured the required funds from Millicent's inheritance, via a letter of transfer from her New York bank, Nathan leaves with the money in hand.

"I shall deliver it to my sister in a most discreet fashion."

After that time, Suki is no longer seen in Collinsport, and Nathan seems to be much restored in spirit.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: "It is quite beautiful," says Josette. "I thank you for the gift, no matter the circumstance. May Barnabas always treat you as a husband ought." She takes her leave, uncertain what to do with the music box, the sight of which which opens the same manner of wound as Angelique herself - still, she retires to her room and plays it just the once - to do otherwise would be churlish.
Upon first hearing the tinkling melody of the music box, which is said to have been wrought by an artisan of uncommon skill in the Far East, Josette seems to be transported to other places and other times, if only in imagination. Can that be the sweet scent of jasmine that fills the air? The overall sensation is one of peace, and forgetfulness, as if one could wish one's troubles away with a simple tune. The illusion fades once one shuts the box, leaving only haunting memories of its charms.

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”