Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice]
Victoria discovers that a hair ribbon, which she has been directed to wear when in the company of others, so that her long hair not be left wantonly loose, is missing from her room. More disturbing is what she reads in her book . . .
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Reverend Trask is sure to warn Countess DuPres often about the danger her soul is in from using Satan's tools of divination. "You would do well to burn them," he cautions her. "They give the devil a foothold in this house."
Reverend Trask's concerns are openly mocked by the Countess, disdained by Joshua Collins, who is possibly a Deist rather than a true Christian, but are heartily endorsed by Abigail Collins, Joshua's spinster sister.

"There's evil in this house, I am sure of it! Joining our family with a French Papist is bad enough, but there's black magic about!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria doesn't know if it's possible to change history, but she certainly intends to try. It saddens her that Sarah is due to die. While she had known that Sarah would certainly be dead by her own time, she had hoped she would have had a long full life and not died so young. Without knowing what the illness was, she couldn't cure it even with modern knowledge. Even if she had the skills to make penicillin from moldy bread, the disease might not have been bacterial, which would render it useless. However, maybe there was a way to get more information. She knows that Countess DuPres was always using her cards to read the future. She doesn't know if it actually works, but given her strange circumstances, she's willing to give it a try. She knows that doing so might cause her to fall under suspicion of witchcraft, but she has to take the risk. She'll have to seek her out when Reverend Trask is not around. First, though, she must do something about her hair. Unable to find the ribbon, she tries to come up with a substitute, perhaps a strand of lace. If she cannot, she will summon the maid to ask for a replacement.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed," says Reverend Trask to Abigail. "I have sensed it myself, but I cannot yet pinpoint it. Do you know what is the source of the black magic, good lady?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Josette's personal servant, Angelique Bouchard, is more than happy to provide Victoria with a length of fine French lace to bind her hair.

"We working girls have to help each other," she says with a laugh. "There. You look quite lovely. I wouldn't be surprised if you won the fancy of some fine young man."
Spoiler:
Unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Later that same day . . .

Finding an opportunity to speak to the Countess in privacy, Victoria asks her to cast her fortune. The Countess is more than happy to do so. She deals out the Tarot cards and studies them.

"I see that you have traveled a long way. A very long way, indeed, even farther than Martinique! How interesting. What else did you wish to know, my child?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Indeed," says Reverend Trask to Abigail. "I have sensed it myself, but I cannot yet pinpoint it. Do you know what is the source of the black magic, good lady?"
"I never did trust that Ben Stokes. He's a thief, you know. And I'm not so sure about Miss Winters, if that's really her name. Showing up out of nowhere with that cock-and-bull story about losing her memory! And making such a shameless display of her . . ." A slight blush. ". . . lower limbs. Torn dress, indeed! I'm sure she's after the Collins fortune, just you mark my words!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Later that evening . . .

Jeremiah Collins, Joshua Collins' much younger brother and the uncle of Barnabas and Sarah, who has hardly acknowledged Victoria at all up until now, spends a great deal of time talking to her, as if they were not of different levels of society.

"I can't explain it, Miss Winters," he says, "but I find myself strangely drawn to you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria thanks Angelique for the lace, which she uses to secure her hair.
Maybe there is something to this after all, thinks Victoria when the Countess speaks. "I would like to know what the future holds," she says.
"Thank you, sir, you flatter me," says Victoria to Jeremiah. "I cannot explain it either, but I do not wish to rise above my station."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I find it disturbing as well," says Reverend Trask. "These are symptoms of the disease of wickedness, of course. It is the disease itself that must be rooted out and eradicated, or it will merely reoccur in others. It is written that the love of money is the root of evil. You have spoken wisely indeed. A thief, who covets what is not his own, and a wanton girl who seeks what is not hers. Both are motivated by greed. I shall watch them closely."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:And I'm not so sure about Miss Winters, if that's really her name. Showing up out of nowhere with that cock-and-bull story about losing her memory! And making such a shameless display of her . . ." A slight blush. ". . . lower limbs. Torn dress, indeed! I'm sure she's after the Collins fortune, just you mark my words!"
"But she was so confused and frightened when she was found," says Millicent. "I fear she suffered a true distress, and I cannot believe so ill of her. Her heart appears as fair as her countenance."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Maybe there is something to this after all, thinks Victoria when the Countess speaks. "I would like to know what the future holds," she says.
The Countess deals out the cards, muttering to herself, then lets out a gasp of surprise.

"I see great danger! There is an enemy who would destroy you! I cannot tell who it is, but you must be very careful."
"Thank you, sir, you flatter me," says Victoria to Jeremiah. "I cannot explain it either, but I do not wish to rise above my station."
As if he cannot control his passion, Jeremiah seizes Victoria's arms in his hands -- not enough to hurt her, but firmly, as if afraid she might escape him.

"This is madness, but I cannot deny it. I love you! Say you will be mine!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, I find it disturbing as well," says Reverend Trask. "These are symptoms of the disease of wickedness, of course. It is the disease itself that must be rooted out and eradicated, or it will merely reoccur in others. It is written that the love of money is the root of evil. You have spoken wisely indeed. A thief, who covets what is not his own, and a wanton girl who seeks what is not hers. Both are motivated by greed. I shall watch them closely."
Spoiler:
Unexplained die rolls[dice]0[/dice]
True to his word, Reverend Trask keeps close watch over the two servants. As far as he can tell, Miss Winters' behavior is beyond reproach, which may, of course, be no more than concealment of wickedness within. (Jeremiah has been careful to keep his inexplicable attraction to Victoria known to no one but the object of his desire.)

However, the behavior of Ben Stokes is strange indeed. He has been observed in the rooms of the other servants, when they are not there, from time to time, without excuse. When asked to explain such behavior, his only response, even when threatened with a return to prison, is "I can't tell ya!" Forced to give more information, he seems to literally choke on his words, rendering them unintelligible.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"But she was so confused and frightened when she was found," says Millicent. "I fear she suffered a true distress, and I cannot believe so ill of her. Her heart appears as fair as her countenance."
"You have so little knowledge of the sinfulness of this fallen world," Abigail replies with a sigh. "Well, I see that you are wise enough to avoid fortune hunters, my dear. Lieutenant Forbes is such a mannerly gentleman. I'm pleased you find his company pleasing. A naval officer would be an appropriate match for a Collins, if I may be so bold to mention."

As days go on, Nathan and Millicent, properly chaperoned, spend much time together, until there are hints that he intends to pay court to her at the proper time. On a certain day, when Millicent happens to be near the front door of the mansion, there comes a knock on the door. Opening it herself, since, in her benevolent way, she wishes not to disturb the servants unnecessarily, she sees a young woman unknown to her.

"Hello," she says, letting herself in without invitation. "Nathan about? I hear he's been spending a lot of time around here."

It so happens that Nathan is in the next room, discussing business with Joshua.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I will be," Victoria says to the Countess. "Do the cards say anything about what I must do?"
"I wish I could," says Victoria, "but I cannot. We are from two different worlds, you and I." She doesn't want to break his heart, but she also wants to help avert his fate. Jeremiah could also be a possible ally, but she knows she must be careful. "If you truly love someone, you must be willing to let her go. If she does not return, it was never meant to be. Tell me, if there were a way you could help save my life, and your own as well, yet it meant we could never see each other again, would you do it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Seeing that Ben Stokes remains uncooperative, Reverend Trask sees no choice but to approach Joshua Collins with what he has observed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Hello," she says, letting herself in without invitation. "Nathan about? I hear he's been spending a lot of time around here."

It so happens that Nathan is in the next room, discussing business with Joshua.
"Lt Forbes is near at hand," says Millicent. "Certainly I may fetch him for you - perhaps you may wait in the drawing room." She shows the newcomer the room she means. "Whom should I say seeks his counsel?"
Last edited by SunlessNick on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I will be," Victoria says to the Countess. "Do the cards say anything about what I must do?"
"I see that you have something in your possession that must remain hidden. I cannot tell what it is; your future is strangely blurred, as if through a glass, darkly. Strange; very strange."
"I wish I could," says Victoria, "but I cannot. We are from two different worlds, you and I." She doesn't want to break his heart, but she also wants to help avert his fate. Jeremiah could also be a possible ally, but she knows she must be careful. "If you truly love someone, you must be willing to let her go. If she does not return, it was never meant to be. Tell me, if there were a way you could help save my life, and your own as well, yet it meant we could never see each other again, would you do it?"
After a deep sigh, Jeremiah replies, "If so it must be. Better that I remain a wretched soul, doomed to wander this cruel world alone, than see you suffer. I am your slave." More to himself, he adds "What is this madness? Eros, cruel godling!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Seeing that Ben Stokes remains uncooperative, Reverend Trask sees no choice but to approach Joshua Collins with what he has observed.
Given this information, Joshua summons the manservant himself.

"It will be back to prison if you are not forthcoming with an explanation for this troubling behavior," he threatens.

"No, not that, Mister Joshua, I couldn't stand that. I want to tell ya, but I can't! She'll kill me, kill me . ."

As if the rude fellow were some grim prophet, he collapses in a fit of apoplexy, face turning a ghastly gray hue as he breathes his last.

After his initial shock at this sight, Joshua remarks "The man must have been suffering from brain fever, poor fellow. Help me carry him to one of the outbuildings until I can arrange for a decent burial in the common field. The man was a rogue, but I would not wish him such a painful death."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"Lt Forbes is near at hand," says Millicent. "Certainly I may fetch him for you - perhaps you may wait in the drawing room." She shows the newcomer the room she means. "Whom should I say seeks his counsel?"
The woman settles herself into the most comfortable chair in the drawing room. "Just tell him Suki's back, and watch his face. That should be good for a laugh. You wouldn't happen to have a spot of gin about the place, would you?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”