Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Arrivals Expected and Unexpected

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:
Victoria will tell Jeremiah in private about the similarity to what she knows from the history, as well as the difference, concerning Barnabas marrying Angelique.
From what Jeremiah is able to ascertain from this strange book of the future, like that said to be penned by the French astrologer Michel de Nostredame, he believes that his own dire fate has been averted, but perhaps not that of others.

"There seems no reason whatsoever that my nephew and I should fight a duel, as our affections run in different directions. I am not so certain of the safety of poor Josette, or of yourself, my beloved. No, I would rather go to my own grave rather than see you harmed in any way!"

Looking further into the book, he sees that it states that Barnabas sailed to England not long after the present time, and never returned. Being merely a woman, and a former servant at that, there is little information concerning Angelique, save to record her marriage. Whether she accompanied Barnabas to England, if she bore him any issue, and what might have been the manner and date of her passing from the mortal realm, are unknown.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Reverend Trask seeks out Naomi, both to caution her against drinking too much sherry, and to sound her out on her opinion of Angelique.
When calling on Naomi, Reverend Trask observes that she refrains from partaking of drink, although it is evident that her movements are less that graceful, and her speech slow and hesitant. Through patient questioning, however, he is able to obtain the information he seeks.

"I have visited them as often as I could, when Joshua is otherwise occupied. My son is melancholy, but tries not to show it; but a mother's heart can tell. Angelique appears to be entirely devoted to him, her countenance shining brightly whenever she gazes upon him. Perhaps she truly loves him. It is my belief, however, that she was the seductress, making use of the charms with which nature rewarded her, in order to elevate her station. I believe that Barnabas, in an act more noble than wise, took the burden of guilt upon himself, that she not be brought to shame."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,Is it up to me whether Josette goes through with her suicide?
Spoiler:
That is entirely up to you. Consider this game, as well as the other one, to be completely different universes. I will add that, if you die, you will return as a ghost, and would be allowed to continue play in that form.
Spoiler:
Someone could always murder me and make it look like a suicide.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Those at Collinswood could harly fail to notice the sense of joy that has overtaken Millicent - though she attempts to hide it, her heart is worn on her sleeve and it is plain for all to see.

Except for Josette, who spends her days ensconced with the music box that is both escape from and reminder of her broken heart. Her voice can often be heard singing along to its tune.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your kindness," says Victoria. "While I'm not out of danger myself, I think if I continue to be careful, I will be all right. I'll need to keep the book well hidden. I'm fortunate it was not found when Reverend Trask was searching all the ladies' rooms. Is there a hiding place in the house where we can safely keep it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree completely, good lady," says Reverend Trask. "In fact, I will go further. Not only do I believe Angelique has seduced your son, I fear she may have actually bewitched him. In addition to her natural charms, she may have used a love potion or something similar. She does have extensive knowledge of herbs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you for your kindness," says Victoria. "While I'm not out of danger myself, I think if I continue to be careful, I will be all right. I'll need to keep the book well hidden. I'm fortunate it was not found when Reverend Trask was searching all the ladies' rooms. Is there a hiding place in the house where we can safely keep it?"
Victoria,Jeremiah imparts one of the best-kept secrets of the Collins family. Within the family crypt, currently unoccupied by those who expect to be interred there when the Reaper calls them, there is a secret chamber. It was used during the late war with the British to store armaments. By entering the crypt, one can enter the chamber by pulling on a large copper ring that is held in the mouth of a lion's head of the same material, above the central sarcophagus. Of course, prying eyes might wonder why someone was visiting a crypt which has not yet served its purpose.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Those at Collinswood could hardly fail to notice the sense of joy that has overtaken Millicent - though she attempts to hide it, her heart is worn on her sleeve and it is plain for all to see.
Milllicent,Joshua draws you aside when you can spare a moment from the company of Lieutenant Forbes. "Cousin, this may not seem the time to discuss practical matters, but I flatter myself that I am not entirely without experience when it comes to the management of wealth. For legal purposes, the law not recognizing the power of females to control property, I suggest you draw up the papers needed to assign your considerable estate to Daniel before you are wed. Although but a child, he is a Collins, and I believe it would be wisest to retain such a fortune within the family name."
Except for Josette, who spends her days ensconced with the music box that is both escape from and reminder of her broken heart. Her voice can often be heard singing along to its tune.
Noting that Josette is in a distracted state much of the time -- perhaps a blessing in disguise, given her situation -- Joshua makes it clear that she and her relatives are welcome to remain in the New House for as long as they wish. He is well aware, but does not mention, that the DuPres family does not possess much in the way of wealth, their lands and income cut off during the recent regicide in France, forcing them to escape the guillotine by emigrating to Martinique.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I agree completely, good lady," says Reverend Trask. "In fact, I will go further. Not only do I believe Angelique has seduced your son, I fear she may have actually bewitched him. In addition to her natural charms, she may have used a love potion or something similar. She does have extensive knowledge of herbs."
"Do you really think so? How might evidence for such activities be brought to light?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,"[color=#00BFFF]Nathan will soon be family,[/color]" says Millicent. "[color=#00BFFF]But if you truly think it is best, I shall arrange to have the remainder of my inheritance put in charge of my brother. I am sure Nathan will understand. Oh, I must say, I have asked him to remain silent about our engagement for now, to spare Josette any further hurt - since you have found us out, I make the same plea of you.[/color]"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette gradually rejoins the rest of the household though she remains wan and withdrawn. Whenever called upon to entertain with her singing, her choice of music is always a melancholy one. Despite her kind words to Barnabas and Angelique, it is clear that the matter weighs heavily upon her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Could you place the book in the crypt?" asks Victoria. "You are at least a Collins, and would have reason to visit your family's crypt. If you're seen, you could always say you were pondering your own mortality or something."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed I do," says Reverend Trask. "As for evidence, it comes in various forms. Witnesses are always important, and of course Angelique may have items in her possession that would incriminate her. Ideally, I'd like to find something written in her own hand. I've already searched her room, which is how I found the herbs, but perhaps I missed something. A recipe for a love potion would be just the thing. Or perhaps she has another hiding place. You know this house better than I do. You would know if there were somewhere she might know about where she could conceal things she didn't want found. I believe she used to use Ben Stokes's quarters before. He must have been under her command before she sank her claws into your son. There were a number of personal items that he had stolen found in his room - stolen for her, I believe. Those items could then have been used in witchcraft, to cast spells upon the owners of said items. Before his passing, he refused to say who had put him up to it, saying that 'she' would kill him if he told. And then she did, through witchcraft, before he could be compelled to identify her. As for witnesses, Josette spent the most time around her. If anyone would have seen her doing anything untoward, it would be her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,"[color=#00BFFF]Nathan will soon be family,[/color]" says Millicent. "[color=#00BFFF]But if you truly think it is best, I shall arrange to have the remainder of my inheritance put in charge of my brother. I am sure Nathan will understand. Oh, I must say, I have asked him to remain silent about our engagement for now, to spare Josette any further hurt - since you have found us out, I make the same plea of you.[/color]"
Millicent,The necessary arrangements are made through the appropriate legal counsels, these residing in New York City, from whence Millicent has so recently arrived. Young Daniel being assigned this responsibility at a tender age, he proves to take the matter with the appropriate gravity. "I shall see to it that you lack for none of the necessities and reasonable comforts of life," he remarks, in a tone which cannot fail to amuse with its pretense of maturity. "Nevertheless, dear sister, I shall ensure that our inheritance is not squandered on frivolity." Although this promise may bring only a smile, considering the youth of its source, it proves to be based on a firm foundation, Daniel turning away from such childish amusements as draw the attention of carefree lads, and educating himself in the intricacies of wealth. Joshua, pleased by Millicent's wise decision to heed his advice, agrees to avoid mentioning Millicent's upcoming nuptials, the advent of which was let slip by Nathan during one of those intimate moments shared by gentlemen whilst under the influence of brandy and cigars. In return, he asks that Millicent say nothing of the financial arrangements to Nathan, lest the Lieutenant take it as a sign of mistrust in his own judgment.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Josette gradually rejoins the rest of the household though she remains wan and withdrawn. Whenever called upon to entertain with her singing, her choice of music is always a melancholy one. Despite her kind words to Barnabas and Angelique, it is clear that the matter weighs heavily upon her.
Josette,The curious music box continues to provide a degree of solace. There is something about its simple melody that leads one into flights of fancy. Perhaps it is the mere suggestion of the mysterious East, from whence the finely wrought object made its way across the oceans to the New World. Visions of unimagined places fill the mind while it plays, of strange lands and strange peoples. Sometimes one feels that one could enter into these worlds of dream, if only one knew how.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Could you place the book in the crypt?" asks Victoria. "You are at least a Collins, and would have reason to visit your family's crypt. If you're seen, you could always say you were pondering your own mortality or something."
Victoria,"It shall be done as you wish." [spoiler]unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice][/spoiler] The requested errand is performed under cover of darkness, without witness. Jeremiah returns to Victoria with startling news. "It is done. I have made a peculiar discovery, however. Within the secret chamber lies a coffin, of which I know nothing. I mention this so that the grim sight may not alarm you, should you have occasion to visit that place."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Indeed I do," says Reverend Trask. "As for evidence, it comes in various forms. Witnesses are always important, and of course Angelique may have items in her possession that would incriminate her. Ideally, I'd like to find something written in her own hand. I've already searched her room, which is how I found the herbs, but perhaps I missed something. A recipe for a love potion would be just the thing. Or perhaps she has another hiding place. You know this house better than I do. You would know if there were somewhere she might know about where she could conceal things she didn't want found. I believe she used to use Ben Stokes's quarters before. He must have been under her command before she sank her claws into your son. There were a number of personal items that he had stolen found in his room - stolen for her, I believe. Those items could then have been used in witchcraft, to cast spells upon the owners of said items. Before his passing, he refused to say who had put him up to it, saying that 'she' would kill him if he told. And then she did, through witchcraft, before he could be compelled to identify her. As for witnesses, Josette spent the most time around her. If anyone would have seen her doing anything untoward, it would be her."
Trask,Upon the mention of hiding places, Naomi mentions the fact that a secret chamber exists within the currently unoccupied Collins mausoleum. "It was meant for storage of arms during the late war," she explains. "Currently, it serves no function. My husband may have mentioned it to poor Ben as an item of historical curiosity. If he was indeed bewitched, and if the fiend responsible knew of the chamber, by means natural or unnatural, he may have placed incriminating items therein, although this is only speculation." Naomi goes on to explain the manner in which entrance to the chamber is afforded, and grants permission for Reverend Trask to explore it, asking only that he do so in a discreet manner. "As for questioning Josette," she goes on, "I only wish to remind you that she remains in a melancholy and distracted state, and must be handled in a delicate fashion. Do, then, as you see fit."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Stayed tuned for our next exciting episode!

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”