The Trial of Angelique

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: The Trial of Angelique

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very interesting," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Winters also reported homesickness after handling the music box. It is strange that you still feel it even now, despite your brief contact with it. It must have very strong power. Did you see the defendant give the music box to Miss Josette DuPres?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"That is so."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss Collins," says Reverend Trask. "I have no more questions at this time." He turns to Peter Bradford. "Your witness, sir."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Miss Collins," Bradford begins, "if I may raise a delicate matter, is it not a matter of common knowledge that you have recently been the innocent victim of a most shameful deception by one Nathan Forbes?"

One of the magistrates interrupting to question the relevance of this line of inquiry, Bradford explains his reasoning.

"My intent, Your Honors, is to demonstrate that the only alleged effects of the supposedly enchanted music box are those reported by three young women who had recently suffered severe emotional wounds; that is to say, the reported coach accident and partial loss of memory of Miss Winters, and the broken hearts endured by Miss Dupres and Miss Collins. The female brain, as is well known, being of a delicate nature, it is only to be expected that the charming and wistful melody of the music box would bring thoughts of happier days, without the need for any form of black magic."

"Very well. Please answer the question, Miss Collins."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"You speak truly, sir," says Millicent. "I am an heiress to considerable means, of which Mr Forbes sought to gain control through marriage to me."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette glances sideways at Victoria, alarmed at this line of questioning.

Having seen to the horse and cart, Nathan makes his way inside to await his turn in the witness box.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask stands confidently, knowing how he can counter Peter Bradford's arguments and dig up the seeds of doubt he is trying to sow, waiting until he is done with the witness so that he can ask her some more questions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria glances back at Josette, though she isn't worried. Reverend Trask looks like he knows what he's doing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I have no further questions, Miss Collins. Although," he goes on, "judging from my learned opponent's evident eagerness to continue, much like a racehorse straining to hear the trumpeter's call, I believe he wishes to make further inquiry."

He moves to a back corner of the room, where Nathan Forbes has newly arrived, to engage in quiet conference. This may be discretion, given the identity of the lady on the witness stand, or it may be a wish to acquire any relevant information that person may possess.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Seeing Millicent in the witness stand, Nathan will remain near the doorway, trying to be unobtrusive.
Vicki,He wishes to maintain an honourable demeanour for this, and distressing Millicent with his presence would not help in such.

Millicent nods and awaits the Reverend's questions.

Reassured by Victoria's confidence, Josette turns her attention back to the trial below.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should put my learned opponent's supposition to the test," says Reverend Trask. "We have already seen how even the briefest of exposures to the music box has affected these young ladies, but it only did so while they actually held the box. Let us see if normal music of the same duration has the same effect on them or not. Is there someone observing in the gallery who is a gifted singer who would like to volunteer?" He turns to Millicent. "While we await a singer, Miss Collins, please tell the court how long you held the box while the music was playing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria doesn't really know the songs of this time, so she does not volunteer. She looks over to Josette to see if she will.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

From the gallery arises a stout, red-faced woman of middle years.

"Ah shall gie ye a song. 'Tis o' Mister Burns," she announces in a loud, clear voice, heavy with the accents of Caledonia.

Ye banks and braes o' bonnie Doon
How ye can bloom so fresh and fair
How can ye chant ye little birds
And I sae weary fu' o' care

Ye'll break my heart ye warbling birds
That wantons thro' the flowering thorn
Ye mind me o' departed joys
Departed never to return

Oft hae I rov'd by bonnie Doon
To see the rose and woodbine twine
And ilka bird sang o' its love
And fondly sae did I o' mine

Wi' lightsome heart I pu'd a rose
Fu' sweet upon its thorny tree
But my false lover stole my rose
But ah! She left the thorn wi' me

Spoiler:
She has the Asset of Good Singing Voice, so let's see if she performs well enough to have a possible effect on the listeners. Based on 9 + 3 = 12[dice]0[/dice]
One would not think, judging from her appearance, that such a woman would prove to have a voice of such quality; but so it is.
Spoiler:
die rolls on Victoria, Millicent, and Josette, based on WIS, to resist the effect of the sentimental song, as if it were a magic spell. [dice]1[/dice]
It is noticeable that, while Miss Winters and Miss Collins are able to appreciate the quality of the song without a display of excessive emotion, there is something in the melancholy expression of lost love expressed by the lyrics, as difficult as it may be for a Frenchwoman to fully understand the Scot vocabulary and accent, that causes Miss Dupres to weep quietly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

"Thank you, ma'am," says Reverend Trask. "An excellent rendition. While it has been known for millennia the power music has to influence emotions, even the best performance does not have the same effect as witchcraft. A music box, a mere mechanical contrivance, should not have the same effect as a gifted singer, especially when the box was playing for a mere moment for two of the three women affected by it, while the song lasted longer. Yet only one of the three was affected by the song. It is also of interest that the music from the box only had an effect on them while they physically held the box, which is indicative of witchcraft." He spoke to Victoria and Josette. "Did the song have the same sort of influence upon you as the music box, Miss Winters?"

"No, Reverend," says Victoria. "While the song is a moving one, the box's effect was more powerful, brief though it was."

"Thank you. And Miss DuPres, did the song have the same effect as the music box upon you? Did it make you want to take your own life?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It did not," says Josette after she composes herself. "It filled me with sympathy, and I was moved by the good woman's voice, but I had no desire to end my life because of it."

"Nor did it awaken in me the same sense of homesickness as did the box," Millicent adds when it it her turn to give her reaction.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, ladies," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Collins, for what length of time did you have contact with the box and its music? Did it only affect you when you were physically touching it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My time with the box was very brief, sir. No more than a minute. But the longing it instilled remains with me even as we speak now."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Far more powerful than the song we just heard, then," says Reverend Trask. "Thank you, Miss Collins. I have no further questions."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Frowning slightly, as if unsure of the effect of his attempt to disprove the power of the music box, Peter Bradford allows more than sufficient time for Miss Collins to withdraw, that he might spare her too close an encounter with Nathan Forbes. This being done, he gestures for that selfsame person to approach the bench with him.

"If it please the court, I have just been informed that Lieu--" he catches himself just in time, now that the ex-officer's title is no longer appropriate " -- Mister Forbes has information of relevance to this case."

"Very well. Let him be sworn in and provide his testimony."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I swear that the testimony I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God."
Vicki,Nathan has noted the difference in Millicent's testimony about the box, and that of Josette and Victoria - that she says it's still affecting her, while they say it's stopped. Since he wants to cast suspicion on the latter pair, he'll be looking for a chance to highlight it. He's also glad to see them sitting together in the gallery.

Lacking any reason to remain at trial, Millicent returns to the estate.

Knowing that Mr Forbes accompanied the Reverend on the vampire hunting mission, Josette leans forward slightly, curious at why he seems to be being called by the defence.

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”