Page 1 of 1

Miss Stockbridge

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The return voyage to Collinsport is without major incident, save perhaps for a certain unspoken strain in the relationships amongst Barnabas Collins, Josette Dupres, and Amos Stewart, this triad being better thought of as a pair of intersecting dyads, not to the advantage of either. The necessarily limited space aboard the small vessel adds to the discomfort of all involved, whilst the presence of others requires that it remain wordless.

Nevertheless, the return of Sarah Collins to the bosom of her parents proves an anodyne against any resentment towards her brother. Whether he shall ever be fully accepted into the good graces of his kin remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, his youthful uncle Jeremiah, formerly so taken with Miss Winters, has overcome that passion, and has instead been keeping company with a certain Miss Stockbridge, newly arrived in the area. As a gesture of affection, he has caused a portrait of the lady to be made, which he displays with much pride.

It is impossible to miss the very strong resemblance between the woman in the portrait and Laura Collins of 1967.

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria studies the portrait, looking for any phoenix-like qualities to it.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask greets Miss Stockbridge kindly and invites her to church services.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 am
Victoria studies the portrait, looking for any phoenix-like qualities to it.
The portrait is notable for being done in vivid colors, from Miss Stockbridge's orange gown, to her golden hair. She seems to be looking directly into the eyes of the viewer, with an intense stare.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Stockbridge is amenable to attending services, although there is some concern over the fact that she always wears gowns of intense color; gold and scarlet and orange, which are hardly fitting to such a setting. Despite this taste in costume, which draws much attention, she otherwise seems to be of a reserved nature, rarely speaking save when addressed directly, and displaying less sensibility than is common in persons of the female sex. She appears somewhat distracted during the service, spending much time gazing at the candles that fill the church with a warm glow. Nonetheless, Jeremiah Collins is much taken with her, despite the fact that she often seems unaware of her presence, as if she exists in a world of her own.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
Image Image

Victoria approaches Reverend Trask after the service. "I'm concerned about Miss Stockbridge," she says. "There is something about her that strikes me as wrong, and she has an unhealthy fixation on fire."

"I share your concerns," he says. "She has done nothing specifically wrong as of yet that I have observed, but she bears further watching."

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:20 am
by SunlessNick
On the voyage back to Collinsport, Josette seeks out Victoria to ask her advice.

"I have no doubt you have observed a certain tension between Barnabas and Mr Amos Stewart. Mr Stewart is the man who rescued me from the quicksand during the search for Daniel. Since then we have developed a friendship. I believe his spirit and his mind are fitted to a greater station than that in which he finds himself, though the Collinses, when Mrs Collins saw us together, were not altogether of that mind, and believe I should end the acquaintance. But I sense that his feeling for me stretches beyond friendship, and I fear that mine may do also. Do you think I should follow this path to where it leads?"

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 am
by SunlessNick
Nathan appears somewhat pensive, as though a decision is weighing upon him.
He is wondering whether to try proposing to Millicent again, thinking that Daniel would not cut her off just to spite him - however he is not sure he has sufficiently won back her affections. But the more adventurous side of his character is pondering a different course - whether Reverend Trask might welcome a more permanent partner, since dealing with supernatural phenomena is becoming a greater part of his life.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a decision only you can make," says Victoria to Josette. "It's not easy for me to give advice about love, for I have not yet found true love myself, though I long to find it. You know Mr. Stewart far better than I do, and you know yourself better than anyone else could. I do not know how you feel about Barnabas Collins, but I know that he truly loves you. Before you told me about Mr. Stewart, I would have thought you and Mr. Collins were fated to end up together, but fate seldom turns out the way you expect. I think you should follow your heart, wherever it leads you."

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A cautious observer may have taken notice of an intimate conference between the two young ladies, and wondered as to the matters discussed, but that is to be known only to the two of them.

Several days pass by, during which time Barnabas remains secluded within the Old House, visited only from time to time by Sarah, whenever the girl can escape her chores and lessons.

Grateful for the services rendered by Amos, Joshua undertakes to hire the fellow as a man-of-all-labor, to which he is more than agreeable. When not engaged in outdoor duties, he becomes a familiar figure about Collinwood. It is evident that Abigail does not approve of the situation, but, dependent on the good will of her brother, dares not speak out too boldly against it.

Nor does that lady show much enthusiasm for the way in which Jeremiah keeps company with Miss Stockbridge, speaking of her as vain and haughty. Joshua, on the other hand, offers no objection, possibly because Miss Stockbridge, judging by her accoutrements, is not without considerable means.

Therefore, he is not displeased when Jeremiah announces his intention to wed the said lady, nor does he even object when Jeremiah insists that all present at Collinwood, and even Barnabas, must be in attendance at the ceremony.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask seeks out Abigail Collins. "Good lady, I share you opinion of Miss Stockbridge," he tells her. "I am concerned about the suddenness of this marriage, and about her character. I do not know what her motive is, though it is not likely to be money, for she has plenty of it herself. What are your observations of her?"

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria converses further with Josette while they prepare for the wedding, hoping she can help her make the right decision.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Reverend Trask seeks out Abigail Collins. "Good lady, I share you opinion of Miss Stockbridge," he tells her. "I am concerned about the suddenness of this marriage, and about her character. I do not know what her motive is, though it is not likely to be money, for she has plenty of it herself. What are your observations of her?"
"My dear Reverend sir, if a peahen were to wear the gaudy trappings of her mate, and then assume human form through witchery, surely it would be such a creature as Miss Stockbridge! The good Lord knows that these are shameless times, when women appear in the streets arrayed in brightly colored cloth, as if they imagine themselves to be rainbows! Yet Miss Stockbridge outdoes them all, constantly draped in gowns of gold and yellow and even wicked scarlet! As for her reasons for bewitching my poor little brother, I cannot say, for she hardly seems to pay him any mind at all, while he brings shame to the name of Collins by acting as her lapdog. He spends hours at her side, while she ignores him, staring blankly into the fire as if she were an utter lackwit. Alas, Jeremiah! It was unfortunate that my dear departed mother bore a child so late in life, when Joshua and I were already grown into maturity, and not present to guide him into the path of wisdom. But that is the will of Providence, and we must bear it. Vanity, all is vanity."

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the necessary preparations are made for the upcoming nuptials, it becomes evident that Miss Stockbridge is either entirely without relations, or not in communication with them, as no such persons are to be present at the ceremony. In point of fact, she has asked the Countess to be her Matron of Honor, while requesting that Miss Winters and Mademoiselle Dupres serve as bridesmaids. Perhaps even more startling than this is the fact that she wishes to have Monsieur Dupres "give her away," as the saying goes, in place of father or other male relative.

"I am not at all sure of this, ma petite," the Countess says to Josette. "She is a strange lady, but I must confess -- ha ha! -- that she reminds me of myself in some ways. What do you think of her request?"

Monsieur Dupres is willing to perform the duty; more, it seems, out of boredom with life at Collinwood than anything else.

"I still hope to do the same for you," he says to Josette.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:28 am
by SunlessNick
"I believe that I am hardly one to stand in the way of the heart, not with my own recent feelings," says Josette. "But I respect the Reverend Trask's opinion, and he appears suspicious. Perhaps if we were involved with the wedding we could make our own observations and glean information that may help confirm or allay them."

Josette expresses her gratitude to Victoria for her many kindnesses. At some point, she writes a poem inspired by the sublime view of the sea from Widow's Point, and contrives to have Mr Stewart find it.

-----------------------

At some point, Nathan approaches the Reverend Trask and makes a perhaps surprising offer: "We have encountered no few unnatural phenomena in these parts, of late. We have each attempted in our own ways to oppose them - though to my shame in the case of the witch I succumbed. But if this is to become a regular aspect of your ministry, would it serve to have in your employ a man of action who has seen enough to believe in such things as readily as yourself?"

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Forbes, your assistance would be most welcome," says Reverend Trask. "It has already been very helpful in the fight against evil. Do not fault yourself too much for having been overpowered by witchcraft. Angelique was a powerful witch and few men could resist her spells, but even with her gone, the forces of wickedness will not be idle. My current concern is Miss Stockbridge, who seems to be obsessed with fire." He fills in Nathan about his suspicions about her and the observations of Abigail Collins.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Josette," says Victoria. "I'm pleased to be able to help. You are right that we can keep a closer eye on things if we are bridesmaids. I'm also suspicious of Miss Stockbridge."

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It might strike the observer, if there were to be any such, of Miss Stockbridge's discussions as to her upcoming nuptials, that she made no mention of the role, if any, she wished Miss Millicent Collins to play in the ceremony. After some time, the reason for this seeming lapse becomes evident. For, just as she has requested the services of young Sarah in the role of flower girl, so has she extended invitation to Master Daniel Collins to take on the part of ring bearer.

(It may be that many in Collinsport are not familiar with these positions of honor in a wedding ceremony. Miss Stockbridge assures those doubtful of such that they are common practice in the place from which she hails.)

Saving what she states is her most importance request for last, she desires that Miss Collins sing and play upon the pianoforte during the ceremony.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst in the act of composing the poem to be left for Mister Stewart -- and, perhaps, struggling a bit with the language, English being a harsh and unmusical tongue compared to French -- Josette Dupres experiences a curious sensation, or vision. One might ascribe this to the mood induced by the place, with the ocean crashing into the rocks far below, and the wind whispering in the trees like the voices of the widows who saw their men go off to sea and not return. For whatever reason, a chill runs down her spine, and she has the feeling that tragedy will strike here soon.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 am
by SunlessNick
"I am grateful for your faith, Reverend," says Nathan. "I confess it does my soul good to take part in active matters once more. As you and Miss Collins observe, she evidences little need of money - but perhaps seductions such as this the means by which she has come by her existing wealth, since she claims no family as its source."

Working with the Reverend is a good excuse to remain around the estate, as well as appearing heroic to Millicent.
Also, he does mean it - now Nathan has seen the supernatural up close, the Reverend's fight is unarguably a worthy one, and it feels good to be part of it. (Also it's more interesting if I'm interacting with Mr Handy's characters rather than my own).

-----------------------------------

Millicent is touched by the request from Miss Stockbridge, and will of course perform the requested duty.

-----------------------------------

Josette is troubled by her premonition, and relates it to her mother. (Because of where she was when it happened, her immediate instinct is to connect it to the sea in some fashion, unless her mother's cards suggest something else).

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"It could be," says Reverend Trask. "I cannot rule out witchcraft either. Jeremiah Collins has shown himself susceptible to it before. We should participate in the preparations and the ceremony as well, to keep an eye on the situation and prevent evil happenings. I shall preside over the ceremony, of course. When I lead the assembled people in prayer before the actual marriage occurs, I can try to overcome any evil influence. With the help of the faithful young ladies, it should be enough." He makes sure that Victoria, Josette, and Millicent are aware of this plan.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:45 am
by SunlessNick
Since Reverend Trask shares his plan with Josette, she also tells him of her premonition.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria has no family of her own and had little opportunity to attend weddings, but she is familiar with the roles of flower girl and ring bearer. When she sees that others are not, she has to wonder if Miss Stockbridge is from the same place she is, especially given her resemblance to Laura. She seeks out Miss Stockbridge when she can speak to her in private, either by herself or with Jeremiah, who already knows her secret.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"God does sometimes send visions to His faithful to warn of things to come," says Reverend Trask. "We must hope He will hear our prayers and prevent any tragedy."

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am glad that you have come to consult with me, ma petite," the Countess says.

She deals out the Tarot cards.

"Curious, most curious," she says, as she observes the results. "All wands, nothing but wands! That is most unusual." She points to the card in the center.

"The Queen of Wands. That is Mademoiselle Stockbridge -- such names these English have! -- I believe. Yes, calm and proud, and bearing a symbol of the sun. What do cats have to do with it, I wonder? And look at what surrounds her."

"The Four of Wands. A ceremony of celebration. The wedding, no doubt."

"The Five of Wands. A battle! Perhaps not with arms, but some form of strife, to be sure."

"The Seven of Wands, reversed. One stands alone against enemies, and is defeated."

"The Ten of Wands. One who carries a burden too heavy to bear. There is to be sorrow ahead for someone, I am afraid."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Despite any forebodings, plans continue for the wedding. If there had been any doubt as to the resources of Miss Stockbridge, they are entirely removed when that lady produces a large quantity of finest Chinese silk, to be transformed into gowns for all the female attendants by the best tailors and seamstresses to be found in Collinsport. A question of propriety arises when the material is seen to be bright red in color. Those persons who labor at creating clothing from the fabric wonder if the ladies for whom it is intended will be persuaded to wear such a shade during a marriage ceremony.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:31 am
by SunlessNick
Josette breathes a little easier after her Aunt's reading - if one is stand alone against enemies and be defeated, well the Reverend is not alone, not with Miss Winters, Mr Forbes, and herself ready to give him what aid they can. For the time, she involves herself in the wedding preparations, making whatever observations she can.
She is startled at the colour of the dresses, but suggests that it is well to have a bright and strong colour to bring good cheer to Collinswood after so much strife.

--------------------

Millicent does not share the Reverend's suspicions. "Such a beautiful lady as Miss Stockbridge can surely mean no ill." However, since he has shared his misgivings in confidence, she will reluctantly promise not to reveal them to the lady herself - and "to do so would mar this happy time for her."

--------------------

Nathan undertakes a similar mission as Josette, making himself available for work as Jeremiah Collins requires.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"All I ask is that you pray along with me at the wedding," says Reverend Trask to Millicent. "If she truly means no harm, then no harm will come. If she does mean harm, our prayers may prevent it."

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"The silk is beautiful," says Victoria to Miss Stockbridge when she gets a chance to speak to her. "Wherever did you get it? Red is an unusual color for a wedding, but I suppose it is what we have. Sarah will make a wonderful flower girl. I also know of flower girls and ring bearers where I come from. Where did you come from, by the way?"

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:44 am
by SunlessNick
Millicent agrees to the Reverend's request.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Please, dear, you must refer to me by my Christian name, which is Laura," Miss Stockbridge responds to Victoria's inquiries, displaying a remarkable degree of informality to a person of lesser station. "As to my origins, I am from west of here." She waves a hand vaguely in that direction. "Perhaps we are not so civilized in that part of our young nation," she continues, although judging by her elegance of speech and manner, as well as fine dress, this can hardly be true. "The silk comes from some close friends of mine on the other side of the world," she explains, without further elaboration.

As plans for the wedding continue, Miss Stockbridge reveals even great eccentricity than has been shown heretofore, as she insists that the ceremony be performed late in the evening, the nuptials to be sealed at the stroke of midnight.

"So that the candlelight may reign in its glory to best effect," she explains to the natural inquiries of the curious.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

Victoria realizes that Laura must be the same woman she knew before somehow, but Laura didn't seem to recognize her. Did she come from the future, or had she simply not gotten there yet? Would she rise from the ashes like the phoenix she seemed to be?

"Miss Stockbridge strikes me as something of a phoenix," she tells Reverend Trask. "She is obsessed with fire, and I fear she means to start one at the wedding. We must be prepared in advance. We can position buckets of sand and of water strategically to put out any flames."

"A good suggestion," says Reverend Trask. "Nathan Forbes and I can make the preparations."

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:54 am
by SunlessNick
Nathan also sees the merit in Miss Winters's suggestion. He also recommends secreting a few weapons near the buckets.

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The day -- or, one might better say, the night -- of the wedding arrives. The ceremony draws a great amount of attention from the villagers, novelty always being of interest to those who infrequently experience it. Arrangement is made to secure the use of the local Congregationalist facility, this being the church to which the Collins belong, as is common among those who can trace their lineage in New England to the earliest days of colonization. Miss Stockbridge herself expresses no particular preference as to sect.

The text used for the ceremony is the familiar one from the Book of Common Prayer. With the addition of cheerful hymns provided by Miss Collins, accompanying herself on the pianoforte as the light of nearly hundred candles fills the church with dancing golden phantoms, the scene is one of sublime beauty. Of equal interest to most, although not entirely to the approval of some, are the various novelties introduced by Miss Stockbridge; viz., the bearing of fresh blossoms by a girl-child, and that of the wedding rings by a lad. If the ceremony is new in many ways, it is also traditional in others

Laura, will you have this man to be your husband; to live
together in the covenant of marriage? Will you love him,
comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health;
and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you
both shall live?

I will.

Jeremiah, will you have this woman to be your wife; to live
together in the covenant of marriage? Will you love her,
comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health;
and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you
both shall live?

I will.

At the moment these words are spoken -- perhaps the very moment when matrimony becomes a matter of fact rather than of anticipation -- there arises a human cry from without the church.

"Fire! Fire at the stables!"

Many persons present, particularly those of the male sex, rush outside. Notably, young Daniel, overly bold for a mere boy, joins his elders in their eagerness to deal with the disaster.

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

"This may be a diversion," says Reverend Trask to his team, "but we must still go fight the fire. You ladies will have to stay here. If anything does happen while we're gone, you know where the buckets have been placed. We'll take some with us, but we'll leave the rest for you."

Victoria nods. "We'll be ready," she says. "I'm concerned about all those candles."

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d20

As all persons of the male sex who are not elderly or infirm rush out of the church to aid in controlling the stable fire, it is notable that Miss Stockbridge -- or, perhaps, it would now be more proper to refer to her as Mrs. Collins -- attempts to keep Jeremiah from joining them.

"Stay with me always, husband," she is heard to say.

Nonetheless, that gentlemen, after a moment when he seems to be undecided, takes leave of his bride, perhaps fearing in particular for the safety of young Daniel; blood being, as they say, thicker than water (or another of the four elements one might name.)

Laura is observed snuffing out the myriad candles one by one, with her bare fingers; a feat sometimes performed by those of bold resolution and having little fear of pain, but rarely by a lady, and not so many times so quickly. She appears to savor the sensation of flame upon flesh.

The fire at the stables is raging, causing the poor dumb beasts within to panic, beating their hooves upon their stalls.2d612d20 The stable is of good construction, it seems, as only four of the dozen horses currently present within are able to burst out of restraint, running wild amongst the crowd. Men do what they can to quell the flames, keeping at a safe distance from both fire and maddened animal. However, young Daniel is observed rushing toward the inferno, despite the warnings of those present.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria is relieved that Laura is putting out the candles, though a little disturbed by how she is doing it.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Daniel, stay back from the flames and the horses!" calls Reverend Trask. "It's not safe!" If the boy doesn't listen, he will move forward to protect him, carrying a bucket.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:28 pm
by SunlessNick
Seeing Daniel rush outside, Millicent followed him, and joins the Reverend in screaming for him to stay away from the fire. (She will spend her grace point in aid of efforts to protect him).

Nathan doesn't bother with words and attempts to physically restrain Daniel from running toward the fire (perhaps remembering the previous time the lad was beguiled into danger).

----

Josette remains in the Church. She whispers to Victoria, "Remain ready - I fear she may mean to put the candles out only to kindle a greater fire."
(Again, if the new Mrs Collins tries anything, Josette will offer her Grace point to anyone attempting to thwart her).

Given Josette's suspicion of the newcomer equalling that of the others and the way she has been sneaking around with Amos, would Josette be in danger of falling from Innocence, or at least an increase in perversity?

Sorry my replies are terse at the moment - there's a family crisis happening, so I don't have a lot of time.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Four horses attacking blindly; each has dex = 154d20Three hit their targets. 1 = Daniel, 2 = Trask, 3 = Forbes, 4 = Jeremiah 3d4Let's spend the faith points from Millicent to see if we can spare Daniel from one of the attacks; Victoria and Josette not present at the stables at this time Reroll one of the horse's attacksd20 Still two attacks on Daniel, one on Forbes. Damage3d6 Daniel is severely wounded, Forbes moderately so.

One cannot miss the fact that, as each candle is snuffed out, the light within the church grows stronger, until the interior of the building closely resembles the conflagration at the stables in color and brightness.

A man comes running from the stables to the church, bearing the bad news of which those present at the fire are already aware; namely, that, driven to madness, the escaped horses have attacked Nathan Forbes and young Daniel Collins. The brave Forbes suffers an injured arm. Sad to say, Daniel was struck upon the head by the hooves of the crazed beasts, and lies near death.

Upon hearing this news, Mrs. Collins says, in a strangely calm voice, "I will go to him. Only I can save him." She makes her way to the stables, a nimbus of ruddy light surrounding her in eerie fashion.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:28 pm
Given Josette's suspicion of the newcomer equalling that of the others and the way she has been sneaking around with Amos, would Josette be in danger of falling from Innocence, or at least an increase in perversity?
Not necessarily; it depends on whether you might consider, perhaps not really seriously, running off with the fellow.

Sorry my replies are terse at the moment - there's a family crisis happening, so I don't have a lot of time.
Spoiler:
No apology necessary. You have my very best wishes as you deal with this difficult situation.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria rushes out of the church as well, heading for the stables, knowing that she may be Daniel's best chance for survival.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Someone fetch Miss Winters!" calls Reverend Trask, "Her skills will be needed!" He prays over Daniel, doing all he can to keep him alive until help arrives.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Arriving at the scene of the calamity in haste, Miss Winters attempts to reach the injured lad, whilst caring for her own safety as best as may be done, given the continuing fury of the maddened beasts. Mrs. Collins is not far behind.
Spoiler:
same as before4d20

Three successful attacks. We now have six possible targets. 1 = Daniel, 2 = Trask, 3 = Forbes, 4 = Jeremiah 5 = Victoria 6 = Laura.3d6

Damage3d6 Odd coincidence of numbers, but I've checked to make sure I used the correct new roll.
Daniel is struck a glancing blow by one of the horses, which makes his situation grave indeed. Meanwhile, Jeremiah is trampled by a pair of steeds that knock him to the ground and tread upon him madly, rendering him as insensate as his little cousin.

As Mrs. Collins approaches, the rampaging beasts run off in a frenzy, and are soon lost to sight. She evinces no fear of the fire, taking no thought for her own safety as she nears Daniel, who lies upon the very border of life and death.

"My son," she says softly, apparently addressing the boy in this manner due to the tragic nature of the situation. "I will take you with me." She reaches her hands out to the lad, seemingly intent on embracing him.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let me try to help him first," says Victoria, kneeling beside Daniel and working to save his life.

Using Cure Light Wounds.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let Miss Winters help, Mrs. Collins." says Reverend Trask. "Her healing skills have saved lives before." All he can do to help her, aside from trying to keep Mrs. Collins from interfering, is to pray.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:29 am
by SunlessNick
Millicent screams as she sees her brother injured, and joins MIss Winters at his side - though she will reluctantly accede to a request to retreat and allow the other lady room to work.

Josette joins Reverend Trask in exhorting Mrs Collins to wait.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The ministrations of Miss Winters produce just barely detectable signs of life in the boy. Entirely insensate, with heartbeat and the movement of lungs slowed to a rate that can hardly sustain life for any great length of time, Daniel trembles on the verge of death. His skin is unnaturally warm, perhaps due to the nearness of the fire, although the conflagration has grown less threatening, coincident with Mrs. Collins approach. It may be that the flames cause the seeming glow in her countenance as she kneels near the boy, her hands just above his body, kept from touching him only by the fact that Miss Winters, due to her intimate treatments, blocks her way.

"You must give him into my care," she insists. "Only I can save him."

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"How can you save him?" asks Reverend Trask.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't see what other option we have," says Victoria. "I've kept him alive for now, but he won't last much longer without help. I'm not a doctor."

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I will take him away with me, to a place where no harm can ever come to him."

As she speaks these words, ghostly flames seem to cover her from head to foot, and yet do not consume either flesh or clothing.

"A moment of pain, then life everlasting. My son cannot speak for himself," she continues, apparently still confused as to Daniel's identity. "You must speak for him, and allow me to take him with me."

Most witnesses present are taken aback by this strange speech, and even more so by the peculiar fire that surrounds her.

"Must you leave me?" Jeremiah draws near her, but steps back, seeming to fear the flames.

"For a time. Only for a time. Will you speak for him?"

Jeremiah only shakes his head, waiting for others to answer this strange request.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where would you take him?" asks Reverend Trask. "What manner of being are you?"

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Laura is a phoenix," says Victoria. "Millicent should be the one to speak for Daniel. If you take him away, will we ever see him again?"

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 am
by SunlessNick
"You mean to take him?" Millicent stammers. "But where?"

"Do not accede; her words are trickery," interjects Nathan.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 am

"Where would you take him?" asks Reverend Trask. "What manner of being are you?"
"I would take him where he has always been, and always will be. I am that I am."

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:28 am

"Laura is a phoenix," says Victoria. "Millicent should be the one to speak for Daniel. If you take him away, will we ever see him again?"
"You have already seen what he is to be. We have met before, and will meet again; there is no difference. You and I are not so very different."

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 am "You mean to take him?" Millicent stammers. "But where?"
"He has always been mine, and shall ever be."
"Do not accede; her words are trickery," interjects Nathan.
In response to this direct statement of denial, Mrs. Collins raises her arms high above her head.

"Until we meet again."

These final words are hardly spoken when a burst of white-hot flame, such as has been reported by those natural philosophers so bold as to expose a curious metal, first discovered by Anton Rupprecht when he heated magnesia with charcoal, to fire, blinds all present with its light. When sight returns, there is no evidence that Mrs. Collins is present, and pure black ashes lie upon the ground. Dies lies where he was, with no change in his condition. It will require the services of the finest physician available to preserve the small spark of life that remains in his young body.

"Laura?" Jeremiah searches throughout the charred and smoking stable, to no avail. "We must find her."

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's gone," says Victoria. "What we need to find is a doctor, a good one. Or rather the rest of you do. I have to stay here with Daniel and make sure he stays alive until the doctor gets here."

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"The best place to inquire for a doctor is in town," says Reverend Trask. "We must pray that God has brought an excellent physician into port. I shall leave forthwith. Who shall go with me?"

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There are many who are all too willing to accompany Reverend Trask to the center of town. Not among them, it seems, is Jeremiah, who appears distraught with grief. It will later be noted that he ran to the manor house, there to speak with the Countess.

The local physician is called to examine the boy. He arrives in great haste, fully aware of the gravity of the situation.
Spoiler:
d20
The doctor proves to be a healer of great skill and wisdom, making a diagnosis that might have escaped others.

"The boy has sustained internal burns, it seems, without suffering the same on his skin. How this may have happened is difficult to say. I can only imagine that he swallowed a considerable amount of highly heated air during the fire. He requires internal cooling, to quench the excessive supply of phlogiston within his body. If only it were possible to obtain some ice!"

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Praise the Lord!" says Reverend Trask. "He has guided you well, Doctor."

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"There must be ice somewhere," says Victoria. In her own time, she would just have gone to the freezer and gotten some ice cubes from the tray, but that won't work here. "Is there an ice house, either here or in town? Maybe one of the ships in port has some ice aboard."

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:38 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan did not accompany the Reverend, aware that his own injury would only hamper the speed of the errand. Is he aware of any supplies of ice that may be found in the less salubrious parts of Collinsport?

ImageImage

Millicent or Josette would presumably know if ice is to be found at the house - if there is, they will say so - otherwise Josette will pray for Daniel's salvation, while Millicent will alternately pray and wail in distress.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It occurs to all present that fishmongers are famously in need of the precious and costly commodity of ice, harvested from ponds by great saws wielded by men of might in the harshest times of winter, then transported into storerooms, to be sealed as best may be done through the use of straw and sawdust against the ravages of warm weather. Inevitably, much is lost, but a considerable amount remains, to be had for ready money. Collinsport known throughout New England for the quantity and quality of its seafood (the source of much of the Collins fortune), it is no difficult matter to obtain a sufficient amount of ice to treat the afflicted lad. Placed in small pieces in his mouth, allowed to melt, and then swallowed, the chilling substance eventually returns Daniel to a sensate state.

"Mother?" The boy glances about, as if in search of his long deceased, barely known parent. "Where is my mother?"

It is a question as to whether the ordeal has affected the child's mind.

While this point is being considered, it becomes known that Jeremiah, after conference with the Countess, has gone into some of the less salubrious areas of Collinsport, on an unknown errand.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask seeks out Jeremiah, realizing that he may need some spiritual guidance.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you mean Laura," Victoria tells Daniel, "she has gone. I know not where."

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:08 am
Reverend Trask seeks out Jeremiah, realizing that he may need some spiritual guidance.
Those witnesses to the movements of Jeremiah Collins whose tongues may be loosened by silver or strong drink reveal that the said gentlemen was last seen hastening to the quarters of an Oriental fellow. Such persons are quite rare in this part of the world, although a few arrive as sailors now and then aboard ships bearing cargo from the Far East. That establishment is little more than a shack, set apart from other homes and shops of modest construct. No one seems to know what business goes on within those dank wooden walls.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 am

"If you mean Laura," Victoria tells Daniel, "she has gone. I know not where."
"I must find her." The lad seems inconsolable, and is unable to be convinced that the vanished Mrs. Collins is not his deceased mother.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Millicent tries to take Daniel inside where they can be alone. (She wants to hold him, but fears he would be embarrassed at that in front of all the gathered folk).

Josette goes to Victoria. "Your identification of Miss Stock- - Mrs Coliins - as a phoenix seems to have been an accurate one. But the chief legend of the phoenix states that it is reborn when it burns itself up. If so, I do not think this is over. How have you come by the knowledge you possess?" (Her manner in asking is one of guileless curiosity - she shows nothing of suspicion). "Sometimes it seems as if you must be an angel sent to us in our time of tribulation."

Nathan waits until the physician appears to have finished tending Daniel, then makes his own injury known (along with anyone else who was hurt in the fire).

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask inquires about where the Oriental man's quarters are. Even if Jeremiah isn't there at the time, talking to the man he visited could prove enlightening.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Josette," says Victoria. "I'm not an angel, just a girl trying to do the best she can to help. Much of my knowledge comes from education. I must be learned in order to teach. But you're right that I have seen the like before. I used to be governess for another family, and a woman much like Laura beguiled and married a man there. She apparently died in a fire, but there were no remains found. It is possible she was in fact the same woman. She may yet rise from the ashes like the phoenix she is, but I hope she will move on again if she does."

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Young Daniel being under the nearly constant care of his devoted sister, it quickly becomes clear that, although sound of body, his soul remains afflicted. He often addresses persons well known to him by the wrong names, and is so confused in his mind that he believes Millicent to be his cousin. He expresses a belief that his mother will soon return to fetch him.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst treating Nathan's wounds, and attempting to distract the brave young man from the unavoidable pain that accompanies this process, the doctor remarks that those who suffered burns did so in a remarkable manner, as if they were subjected to sudden bursts of unusually intense heat; far more so than the stable fire could have produced, although apparently only lasting for some small fraction of a second.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reverend Trask is directed to the place where the Oriental fellow dwells. When the shack is in sight, he witnesses a man, pale and gaunt, emerging from it and rushing away from the place in a great hurry. Approaching the modest building, he detects a curious scent, sweet and smoky. There are no windows, or even a bare opening, in the rough wooden walls of the place. The roughly hewn plank that serves as a door has been shut tight by the fellow who so recently emerged from it.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria arranges to visit Daniel to see if she can help him.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Just a moment, sir!" Reverend Trask calls after the man who just left, following him briskly. "I'd like to ask you something."

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Perhaps it is reassuring that Daniel recognizes Miss Winters as his governess, and does not mistake her for another. Despite the confusion in the young fellow's mind, he is able to attend to his lessons with only that lack of enthusiasm which is expected from a lad of his tender years.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Startled by Reverend Trask's words, the fellow stares at him for a moment, clutching a small paper parcel to his chest, then runs off with great haste.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan makes note of what the phsyician has said, with the intent of passing it on to Reverend Trask and Victoria WInters when the opportunity arises.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask decides against giving chase, realizing that there's little he can do even if he were to catch up with him. Instead, he knocks on the door.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I know you miss your mother," says Victoria to Daniel, empathizing with him. "I'm an orphan. I don't even remember my mother or my father. They were gone before I was grown much. But I do long to see them, so I know how you feel. But you still have a family here. You have your sister Millicent, and you have Jeremiah, and the rest of the Collins family. They all love you."

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Reverend Trask decides against giving chase, realizing that there's little he can do even if he were to catch up with him. Instead, he knocks on the door.
There follows a response uttered in a high-pitched tone, but one which does not reveal much about the occupant of the shack, save that it seems to be an elderly person conversing in some Eastern tongue, judging by the rising and falling of the words, and that said person is not pleased to be disturbed.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
d20
Miss Winters' evident compassion does indeed seem to have a salubrious effect upon the young fellow's soul, as he acknowledges the person around him by their proper names and relationships. Upon hearing the name of Jeremiah, he makes inquiry, "But where is Cousin Jeremiah? I trust he has not fallen victim to the great fire."

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, he did not fall victim to the fire," says Victoria. "I am concerned about him too. He has been spending a lot of time in town. Reverend Trask went to look for him."

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I apologize for disturbing you," says Reverend Trask, "but it is important that I speak to you about Jeremiah Collins."

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to these words, the plank of wood that serves as a crude door swings open, as if of its own accord, revealing a man of Oriental extraction and of great age, seated upon the ground, smoking a long, slender pipe, from which a smoky-sweet scent emerges. Before him lie a number of thin sticks, scattered upon the ground.

"What is it you wish to know?" Abandoning what one assumes is his native tongue, he reveals no trace of accent, as if he were educated in one of the great institutions of New England.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"His whereabouts, for one thing," says Reverend Trask. "His new wife is gone, you see, and since then he has been coming here frequently. His family is worried about him, as am I. He needs spiritual guidance."

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"He has gone." The fellow tosses the sticks in the air and watches them land. "I taught him the way. It is not a pathway for the timid."

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have never been timid myself," says Reverend Trask. "Please, sir, tell me about the way."

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow hands Reverend Trask the sticks.

"Then toss, and find your way."

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is this some form of divination?" asks Reverend Trask, looking at the sticks with suspicion.

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"They are a doorway. Only thus may you journey as has the man you seek. Perhaps you will travel the same path, perhaps not. Only the yarrow stalks know."

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Reverend Trask. "I must follow Jeremiah Collins if I am to find him." He casts the sticks.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the sticks fly into the air, the Oriental fellow, evidently pleased by his guest's willingness to participate in this ritual, offers a bit of information.

"This is the gate taken," he says, drawing a pattern of three lines on the dust that covers the floor of his modest shack.
Spoiler:
d8
The image consists of two broken lines, with a complete line between them.

"Watch how the sticks reveal your own gate."
Spoiler:
d8
They land on the ground in such fashion as to produce the image of two complete lines above one broken line.

"Most fortunate. You will be very close to the man you seek, but the quest will still require some travails. Shall you pass through the gate?"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I shall," says Reverend Trask, steeling himself.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It would, perhaps, put a strain upon one's ability to describe what next occurs, given that it is an entirely novel experience. Imagine moving in a direction that is neither up nor down, neither forward nor reverse, neither left nor right. Picture the interior of the shack and its aged inhabitant appearing to melt like a burning candle, and yet not suffer the effects of such distortion. Once Reverend Trask's senses are restored to full capacity -- for, indeed, this apparent distortion has so dizzying an effect upon them, that for some time they are rendered nearly useless as sources of information -- he finds himself standing upon a hard, black surface, with no sign of the shack. There is a signpost -- oddly, it appears to be made from metal, rather than wood -- nearby, with simple but very regular letters upon it.

COLLINSPORT CITY LIMITS
WE'RE GLAD YOU'RE HERE!
FOUNDED 1690
"WHERE THE CLIFFS MEET THE SEA"

As this seems to indicate, there are buildings of an unusual kind located not far ahead.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Inquiry amongst the townsfolk fails to reveal the current whereabouts of Reverend Trask, who was last known to have gone in search of Jeremiah Collins.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask is unsure what is going on, but he knows he needs to track down Jeremiah. Reasoning that he probably went toward the buildings, which are presumably what passes for Collinsport in this strange place, he proceeds in that direction.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria resolves to find out where Reverend Trask has gone. Since nobody has seen him, she inquires as to where Jeremiah Collins has been seen, thinking that the Reverend would be on his trail.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Through the same sources of information, Victoria is able to ascertain that Reverend Trask was last seen in the vicinity of the modest abode of a strange Oriental man; a place where the less reputable citizens of Collinsport are sometimes seen to come and go; sometimes go, and not be seen returning.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Walking along the firm, solid, remarkably smooth roadway, Reverend Trask observes an occasional vehicle, something like a metal box equipped with wheels but somehow propelled without horses, pass by at a prodigious speed. Once in a while, a less frightening device goes by, at a lesser speed, but one that could not be matched by a man on foot. This device is easy enough to understand, in principle at least, being merely two wheels connected to a seemingly flimsy frame, and pushed forward through the use of the rider's own legs The passengers upon these devices usually shout "Hello" or "Morning" as they pass by.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Not wanting to go to a shady part of town by herself, Victoria seeks out Nathan Forbes to escort her, knowing that he has been assisting Reverend Trask and would also want to find him.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning!" Reverend Trask replies to the riders when they pass him. He stays to the edge of the road as he walks so as not to get in the way of these strange vehicles. Being struck by one of these contraptions while it's moving at high speed would be worse than being trampled by a horse and carriage.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Howdy," one young man on the leg-propelled vehicle shouts at Reverend Trask. "You must be on your way to the big costume party up at the mansion. Wish I was going. That Carolyn is one foxy lady."

It is apparent that the mansion in question must be that at Collinwood, which is recognizable as looming over the village at no great distance, although the community at which it looks down does not seem familiar.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Nathan and Victoria arrive at the shack where Reverend Trask was last seen. A poorly dressed woman, who seems at first sight to be older than a second look reveals her to truly be, furtively emerges from it, glances about in apparent anxiety, and walks away, carrying a small bundle.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:35 am
by SunlessNick

Having had his injury tended, Nathan is happy to accompany Victoria - if nothing else, she should certainly not go along into such a part of town alone.

Perhaps to the surprise of both Nathan and Victoria, and perhaps not, Josette is also willing to go.

"I beg your pardon for accosting you," she says to woman from the shack. "Might we speak a moment? My companions and I are seeking a man we believe passed this way... a man of the cloth?"

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am indeed on my way to Collinwood," says Reverend Trask, who now intends to head there first. "Have you seen a man named Jeremiah Collins? He will be dressed in a similar style." He describes Jeremiah, and he thinks back to the book he had read on the future history of the Collins family, wondering if a Carolyn was mentioned.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Or have you perhaps seen Jeremiah Collins?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Startled by the greeting from Josette and Victoria's question, and apparently somewhat in fear of Nathan, and also glancing nervously at all three of the arrivals, the woman stutters out an answer.

"I . . . I ain't seen no .. nobody." She is visibly trembling. She clutches the bundle to her breast, as if it holds a precious treasure that she is in fear of losing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reverend Trask is able to recall a very brief mention of one Carolyn Stoddard, daughter of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, said to be one of the current (whatsoever that term may mean in these circumstances) residents of the mansion at Collinwood.

In response to his inquiry, the man on the wheeled vehicle replies, "Yeah, everybody in town knows about Jeremiah Collins. Eccentric guy, some kind of distant cousin or something, showed up a few years ago. Guess the Collins took him in. I'm sure he'll be there. Well, gotta run." He takes off at a remarkable speed, waving with one hand.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nobody's going to take that from you,"
Victoria reassures her. "We just want to find our friends. What's inside that shack?"

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask waves back and proceeds toward Collinwood, quickening his pace, more determined than ever to reach it. He recalls that Elizabeth Collins Stoddard was the one who had given Victoria Winters her book. Reasoning that this was the future, he realizes that she must have come from this time. This explains much, and yet leaves much unexplained.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:43 pm
by SunlessNick

"The good lieutennant is only here to escort us," Josette adds. "You have nothing to fear."

Nathan hangs back from the two ladies, doing his best to appear unthreatening.

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 am

"Nobody's going to take that from you,"
Victoria reassures her. "We just want to find our friends. What's inside that shack?"
"Dreams," she says, rather distractedly. "And nightmares." She hurries away.

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a somewhat strenuous hike up the hill leading to the mansion at Collinwood, Reverend Trask arrives at the brooding edifice. It seems to be almost exactly as he recalls it, from previous visits, although not appearing as newly constructed as when last seen. The sounds of merrymakers come through the heavy front door, as well as a strange sort of music. The instruments producing it are difficult to identify.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:49 am
by SunlessNick

"Well," says Nathan once the woman is gone, "shall we attempt another approach toward entry?" He makes to break open the door.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let us try knocking first," says Victoria.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask strides up to the front door and knocks on it.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 am
"Let us try knocking first," says Victoria.
A voice indicating great age, yet strong and clear, says "Enter, seeker of anodynes."

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:49 am
Reverend Trask strides up to the front door and knocks on it.
It is opened by a petite, blonde young woman, dressed in a normal outfit, as compared to the bizarre and abbreviated clothing witnessed on the journey to Collinwood.

"Great costume," she says. "Real authentic."

"Does this gentleman have an invitation, dear?" The question comes from a dark-haired woman of middle years, standing behind her.

"Oh, Mother, who needs one? Let's have fun!"

"Very well. Welcome, sir."

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria opens the door and ventures inside.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, madam, says Reverend Trask, doffing his hat and stepping inside. "I am Reverend Orville Trask."

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:53 am
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

Nathan nods ruefully and follows Victoria. Josette enters too, unable to resist a slight smirk on her face.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:42 am
"Thank you, madam, says Reverend Trask, doffing his hat and stepping inside. "I am Reverend Orville Trask."
"Really getting into the part, aren't you," the young woman replies. "Well, I'm Carolyn, this is my mother, Mrs. Stoddard, there's Uncle Roger over there by the bar; lots of folks here for the party. Grab a drink and mingle!"

There are a large number of persons of both sexes, freely conversing without regard for the usual social conventions, dressed in the type of clothing which is familiar, but wearing it as if not used to such normal dress. Strong drink freely flows, even among the ladies. Some of the guests look vaguely familiar, others do not.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:40 am
Victoria opens the door and ventures inside.
Gesturing for the three guests to enter is an Oriental gentleman of advanced age, sitting before a table covered with scattered thin wooden sticks, smoking a long clay pipe, whose smoke fills the air with a sickly sweet scent.

"Which of you wishes to purchase release into the world of dreams?"

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That depends on what that release entails, and what the price is," says Victoria. "We came here seeking Reverend Trask and Jeremiah Collins. Have they been here before us?"

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, young lady," says Reverend Trask. "Is Jeremiah Collins here, by any chance?"

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:13 am
by SunlessNick

"We know that the Reverend came here seeking Mr Collins," adds Nathan.

Josette smiles reassuringly at the Oriental.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:52 pm

"That depends on what that release entails, and what the price is," says Victoria.
"To leave all cares behind, and experience the wonders of another world. The price? Only what one wishes to pay."
"We came here seeking Reverend Trask and Jeremiah Collins. Have they been here before us?"
"Yes, but they did not choose the way of dreams." He indicates the numerous small sticks.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:53 pm

"Thank you, young lady," says Reverend Trask. "Is Jeremiah Collins here, by any chance?"
"Do you mean Jerry? He's here somewhere, I think. Some kind of cousin or something, showed up in Collinsport a year or two ago." Carolyn waves vaguely in the direction of the crowded drawing room.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:13 am

"We know that the Reverend came here seeking Mr Collins," adds Nathan.
"There are many who seek, and some who find. Who knows if the gentleman has been successful in his quest? The sticks do what they must."
Josette smiles reassuringly at the Oriental.
Returning the friendly gesture, the man offers Josette his pipe, indicating that she should make use of it.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wish to follow Reverend Trask and Jeremiah Collins," says Victoria. "I choose the way they did."

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says Reverend Trask. "I shall seek him there." He makes his way to the drawing room.

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:25 am
by SunlessNick

Josette hesitates - it would be unseemly for a lady to smoke such a pipe - but at the same time she must be a good guest, and gracious of her host's offer. She takes the pipe and draws a small breath from it, trying not to cough.

"It is as Miss Winters says," says Nathan. "We must follow the course the Reverend has taken."

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The first inhalation of the strangely sweet and cool smoke causes the room and all those present in it to vanish, to be replaced with a gray haze, swirling like fog stirred by a gentle wind. This soon clears, revealing a strange scene.

You seem to be within a mountain valley, gazing upon a river that rushes into a cavern. On both sides of the river are towers of an Oriental style, although they do not exactly resemble any engravings you may have seen of Turkish or Chinese structures. There appear to be persons dressed in similarly Asian, yet not clearly identifiable, costumes. Some of them enter boats, once again of Eastern design, yet dissimilar to any specific types known to you, that follow the river into the cavern.

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Let the yarrow sticks speak," the man says to Victoria and Nathan. They notice that Josette has a dreamy look about her.
Spoiler:
Victoria, then Nathan2d6
"Neither of you has been gifted with the same path as those you seek, yet they are not so far away as they might be. Shall you pass through the gates the sticks have opened for you?"

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In the drawing room, Reverend Trask observes a man who resembles Jeremiah Collins closely, although he appears to be slightly older, and the way he wears his hair is different. His clothing is similar to the outfit in which he was last seen, yet the material from which it is made is remarkably bright in color, as if it were not only newly made this day, but formed from what must be extraordinarily fine cloth. He is currently in discussion with the person who has been named as Carolyn's Uncle Roger, and has not taken notice of Reverend Trask's entry.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 am
by SunlessNick

Somebody in a drugged haze is not the kind of sight to alarm Nathan, no matter how unusual it may be to see on the face of Miss DuPres. But the sticks promise an adventure too enticing to refuse - "Will we be able to reach the other from where... we go?" he asks, the dual interpretation of the latter two words apparent in his tone - "And will we arrive together?" Regardless of the answers he is inclined to accept the strange journey that is offered, unless Miss Winters implores him not to.

I started playing Nathan in what looked like it would be a temporary scene where none of the female characters would be allowd to go. So I don't actually have his stats. Though I guess I've departed somewhat from them.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:02 am
by SunlessNick

Josette pauses for a few moments taking in this remarkable development. The figures do not appear to be acting in a sinsiter fashion, but a spark of fear still holds her back from approaching them. [She has Cowardly - I ought to play to that some of the time :oops: ] She watches for a while, trying to discern the occupations of those not entering the cavern.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"As long as we can eventually reach them, we shall pass through," says Victoria.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pardon me, Jeremiah Collins," says Reverend Trask. "It it I, Reverend Orville Trask. It has been some time since you have seen me last, though it does not seem as long to me."

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 am

Somebody in a drugged haze is not the kind of sight to alarm Nathan, no matter how unusual it may be to see on the face of Miss DuPres. But the sticks promise an adventure too enticing to refuse - "Will we be able to reach the other from where... we go?" he asks, the dual interpretation of the latter two words apparent in his tone - "And will we arrive together?" Regardless of the answers he is inclined to accept the strange journey that is offered, unless Miss Winters implores him not to.

I started playing Nathan in what looked like it would be a temporary scene where none of the female characters would be allowed to go. So I don't actually have his stats. Though I guess I've departed somewhat from them.
Spoiler:
I made all the player characters start with 9, with adjustment for class. As Nathan is a Libertine, all your characteristics would be 9, but CHA 11 and Perversity 11, with the usual Libertine abilities and such. Logical skills a sailor might have are OK (although he was probably mostly a port officer than assigned to a ship.)
The fellow replies, "You and the lady and the ones you seek will all be apart from each other in time, but not very far, and will be in the same place. No doubt your paths will cross."

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:02 am

Josette pauses for a few moments taking in this remarkable development. The figures do not appear to be acting in a sinister fashion, but a spark of fear still holds her back from approaching them. [She has Cowardly - I ought to play to that some of the time :oops: ] She watches for a while, trying to discern the occupations of those not entering the cavern.
They appear to be engaged in ordinary activities of townsfolks; buying and selling, talking and laughing, arguing, eating and drinking (mostly fish and grain, it seems), with others in the distance, more simply dressed, caring for the fields, which are watered by an ingenious system of wooden tubes that carry the precious fluid of life from the river to the crops it sustains. It is notable that there are no children, nor any persons of advanced age.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:38 am

"Pardon me, Jeremiah Collins," says Reverend Trask. "It it I, Reverend Orville Trask. It has been some time since you have seen me last, though it does not seem as long to me."
Jeremiah turns away from Roger, stares at Trask for a moment, and drops the vessel he holds in his hand, which lands upon the floor, spilling its amber contents. (A luxurious rug, which seems to cover the entire floor, prevents it from shattering.)

"How . . ." Jeremiah is barely able to gasp out.

"Accidents will happen," the man called Roger says, apparently not upset. "I've watered the carpet many a time with single malt myself." He extends his hand to Trask. "Roger Collins. I take it you're an old friend of Jerry. Permit me to introduce my wife. Laura?"

A woman approaches from a dark corner. In both dress and countenance, she appears to be the exact twin of Miss Stockbridge.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:37 am

"As long as we can eventually reach them, we shall pass through," says Victoria.
"It is done."

As soon as the words are spoken, Victoria finds herself upon the grounds of Collinswood, with the mansion resembling how it was when she left her own time in mysterious fashion for that of the late 18th century. Automobiles parked in front! Telephone wires leading into the house! An airplane soaring overhead! All these things give evidence that she has returned.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Reverend Orville Trask," says the Reverend, bowing. "A pleasure to meet you, Laura. Have we not met before?"

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria is unsure how she has returned home to her own time, but she is delighted to be back. Eagerly, she runs up to the front door.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:54 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 am The fellow replies, "You and the lady and the ones you seek will all be apart from each other in time, but not very far, and will be in the same place. No doubt your paths will cross."
"Then certainly I will make the journey," says Nathan.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
They appear to be engaged in ordinary activities of townsfolks; buying and selling, talking and laughing, arguing, eating and drinking (mostly fish and grain, it seems), with others in the distance, more simply dressed, caring for the fields, which are watered by an ingenious system of wooden tubes that carry the precious fluid of life from the river to the crops it sustains. It is notable that there are no children, nor any persons of advanced age.
After a while, Josette makes her way down to the townsfolk. "Hello," she says simply to the first she meets. "My name is Josette. Can you tell me where I am? I am not certain how I come to be here."

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:05 am

"Reverend Orville Trask," says the Reverend, bowing. "A pleasure to meet you, Laura. Have we not met before?"
With a smile, Laura says ,"I am flattered that you think me so memorable, but I don't recall seeing you in Collinsport before. New in town?"

"Yes, I get around quite a bit, " Roger adds, "and I don't remember your face. Jeremiah?"

Still ashen-faced, Jeremiah replies "I believe that we both arrived in Collinsport from the same part of New England, although I have been here quite some time now. Excuse me, please, I must clean my shirt," indicating the spirits that stain his sleeve. He hurries upstairs.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:07 am

Victoria is unsure how she has returned home to her own time, but she is delighted to be back. Eagerly, she runs up to the front door.
The door is opened by Carolyn Stoddard, although she looks a bit younger than remembered, no more than a teenager.

"Yes?" she says, politely, but with no indication that she recognizes the visitor.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:54 am "Then certainly I will make the journey," says Nathan.
"It is done."

When the words are spoken, the shack and its inhabitants seem to disappear, to be replaced by an entirely different scene. Nathan finds himself near the edge of Widow's Peak, within site of the mansion of Collinswood. The view of the raging sea is always an sublime one, but even more so at this time, as there appear to be vessels sailing upon that are extraordinarily large, constructed of gray metal rather than wood, and bearing no sails whatsoever, although moving at a considerable pace, even against the wind.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 am
After a while, Josette makes her way down to the townsfolk. "Hello," she says simply to the first she meets. "My name is Josette. Can you tell me where I am? I am not certain how I come to be here."
The first person encountered is a woman selling tea, who is used to speaking to many different persons.
"You are in the realm of the great Khan. These ships carry visitors to his palace, within the caverns." Remarkably, this response is spoken in perfect French, even bearing the slight accent heard from those dwelling in Martinique.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, Jeremiah came here long before I did," says Reverend Trask. "I've only just arrived myself."

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi," says Victoria, realizing that she must have arrived years before she had come to Collinsport in the first place. "Is there a Jeremiah Collins here?" She goes on to describe him.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:21 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan is distracted for a few minutes by the remarkable sight. Then he shakes himself back to focus, and begins to make his way carefully toward the House, reasoning that it's where any of the others would probably go.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am
The first person encountered is a woman selling tea, who is used to speaking to many different persons.
"You are in the realm of the great Khan. These ships carry visitors to his palace, within the caverns." Remarkably, this response is spoken in perfect French, even bearing the slight accent heard from those dwelling in Martinique.
"I must be farther afield than I had dreamed. I am unfamiliar with any Great Khan, save for those who lived long ago. If I buy some tea, would you be willing to tell me of him while I drink?" (If the woman is too busy, Josette will buy some tea anyway, and take the time to watch further).

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:13 am

"Yes, Jeremiah came here long before I did," says Reverend Trask. "I've only just arrived myself."
"I trust that your visit will be an extended one," Laura says with a friendly smile. "Dear," she remarks to Roger, "can't we put the gentleman up for a few days at the Rose Cottage?"

"I suppose so," Rogers answers. "Better than that run-down inn downtown. Mrs. Johnson can collect your things and have them sent to the cottage."

"Fine," Laura says. "We shall have much to discuss, you and I."

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:15 am
"Hi," says Victoria, realizing that she must have arrived years before she had come to Collinsport in the first place. "Is there a Jeremiah Collins here?" She goes on to describe him.

"Oh, you must mean cousin Jerry. Sure, he's somewhere around. Come on in," she continues, in the manner of a young, trusting person. "You must be his girlfriend, huh?"

By this time, Elizabeth Stoddard has entered the hallway. "I don't believe I know your friend, Carolyn."

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Nathan is distracted for a few minutes by the remarkable sight. Then he shakes himself back to focus, and begins to make his way carefully toward the House, reasoning that it's where any of the others would probably go.
The mansion seems little changed from how Nathan remembers it, although somewhat more worn by the elements than he recalls. Peering through a narrow window near the great front door, he can see what seems to be Miss Winters, although differently dressed than when he last saw her, mere moments ago, engaged in conversation with a petite young blonde woman.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm
"I must be farther afield than I had dreamed. I am unfamiliar with any Great Khan, save for those who lived long ago. If I buy some tea, would you be willing to tell me of him while I drink?" (If the woman is too busy, Josette will buy some tea anyway, and take the time to watch further).
The woman is entirely willing to engage in conversation, and is easily able to serve her customers while chatting away. The majority of the persons buying tea speak in various languages that bear the changing pitch of Asian tongues, but some speak European languages, and a few tongues that are impossible to identity. The tea-seller seems to be fluent in all of these.

"Ah, the Great Khan's festival begins today! That is where all these people are headed, in their little boats, down into the ice caverns where he has his palace. And it is my good fortune that so many stop to refresh themselves for the journey with my tea."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick

Nathan nods to himself, and knocks on the mansion door.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 am
by SunlessNick

"Ice caverns?" says Josette. "What a wonderous sight these must be."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Reverend Trask. "I'd be delighted to stay here. I have no belongings to collect. I traveled light. All I have is with me now."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, I'm Vicki," says Victoria with a smile. "I'm a friend of Jerry's."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:16 am
Nathan nods to himself, and knocks on the mansion door.
The door is opened by a woman of middle years, whose demeanor is that of the servant class; in particular, that type of head housekeeper or cook, or both, whose lofty position within the home results in a kind of pride. Upon seeing Nathan, a mood of restrained disdain is clearly visible in her features.

"Such clothes young people wear these days," she mutters to herself. "What's your business here?"
Spoiler:
Obviously, the time lines are getting convoluted here. I'll try to bring all three player characters together eventually.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 am

"Ice caverns?" says Josette. "What a wonderous sight these must be."
"Oh, my, yes. A wondrous place, given over to all manner of delights. It is well worth seeing the magnificent dome that serves the Great Khan as his palace, and the aromatic gardens that surround it."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:25 am
"Thank you," says Reverend Trask. "I'd be delighted to stay here. I have no belongings to collect. I traveled light. All I have is with me now."
The arrangements are made to settle the new guest in the Rose Cottage, where he finds several strange objects without obvious function, although such items as a luxurious bed and a fine fireplace are easily recognized. That evening, after dark, there is a knock on the door. When it is opened, Laura Collins, if that is indeed her name, enters, dressed in the peculiar and, frankly, indecent manner of the females seen on the way to the mansion. In some arcane manner, she touches a place on the wall and the room fills with bright light, produced from certain small glassy objects on the walls and ceilings, which puts to shame the candle which had formerly illuminated it. Mrs. Collins sits by the fireplace, gazing into the flames.

"Have you come to destroy me?" she inquires.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:27 am

"Hi, I'm Vicki," says Victoria with a smile. "I'm a friend of Jerry's."
Mrs Stoddard studies the visitor for longer than one would expect, as if trying to place her.

"Victoria," she says softly. "May I ask your last name?"

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I came here to find Jeremiah Collins," says Reverend Trask. "To be honest, I never expected to find you here. What was your purpose in coming here?"

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's Winters," says Victoria. "Did Jerry mention me?"

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:59 am
by SunlessNick

"Good evening Madam," says Nathan. "I am here in search of a Reverend Orville Trask and a Victoria Winters. I believe they called here earlier. Indeed, I happened to glimpse Miss Winters as I was approaching your door."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:04 am
by SunlessNick

Can any visit there, or must one be invited?" asks Josette. "I hail from the island of Martinique. It is a warm place, without ice."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:46 am

"I came here to find Jeremiah Collins," says Reverend Trask. "To be honest, I never expected to find you here. What was your purpose in coming here?"
Laura responds with a silvery laugh.

"What a merry game! Jeremiah follows me, poor old soul, and now you come after him. Very well; you may have him. I have no further use for the poor mooning fool, now that I am Mrs. Roger Collins, and have our son for my own. But take care; do not interfere with my plans. He that would play with matches must expect to be burned."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:48 am
"It's Winters," says Victoria. "Did Jerry mention me?"
When she hears this response, Mrs. Stoddard grows visibly pale, and stumbles backwards into the nearest chair.

"Mother?" Carolyn asks. "Are you OK?"

"Could you get me a glass of water, dear? I feel a little overheated."

When Carolyn rushes off to the kitchen, Mrs. Stoddard whispers "Why have you come here now? What has the orphanage told you?"

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:59 am

"Good evening Madam," says Nathan. "I am here in search of a Reverend Orville Trask and a Victoria Winters. I believe they called here earlier. Indeed, I happened to glimpse Miss Winters as I was approaching your door."
"Trask? I suppose he's still in residence at the Rose Cottage, heaven knows why, after all this time. Fish and guests stink after three days, that's what I say. Still, nobody's business but Mrs. Stoddard's.

Turning her head, she continues, "Miss Winters? Fella here says he knows you."
Spoiler:
More to clear my own head than anything else, I'll state here that this is the latest timeline, with all present, and will eventually become the main "future" timeline.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:04 am

Can any visit there, or must one be invited?" asks Josette. "I hail from the island of Martinique. It is a warm place, without ice."
"The Great Khan's renown travels everywhere. It is a simple matter to enter his domain. Simply step into one of the boats floating down the sacred river, into the caverns."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That depends on what your plans are," says Reverend Trask to Laura. "I cannot allow you to harm anyone."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I came here looking for Jerry," says Victoria to Elizabeth. "The orphanage has told me nothing. What do you know about me? Who were my parents?"

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Forbes!" says Victoria, turning with a smile. "It is good to see you again."

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 am
by SunlessNick

"Likewise, Miss Winters," says Nathan. "And it seems the Reverend is here too, at Rose Cottage, did you saym madam?"

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:29 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 am
"The Great Khan's renown travels everywhere. It is a simple matter to enter his domain. Simply step into one of the boats floating down the sacred river, into the caverns."
It occurs to Josette that the Khan may able to help her orient herself relative to the world she's familiar with - and surely he must be a good and hospitable lord to be so celebrated and receive so many visitors. (It also occurs to her that she might be dreaming). She thanks her hostess for the tea and bids her farewell, before making her way to one of the boats.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 pm
"That depends on what your plans are," says Reverend Trask to Laura. "I cannot allow you to harm anyone."
"We shall see, sir. We shall see."

Withdrawing after one final glance at the fire, Laura no longer seeks private audience with Reverend Trask, nor does she appear in any way to be other than dutiful wife and loving mother. Time passes, and Reverend Trask becomes accepted, perhaps in an ironic way, as Laura's spiritual advisor, tolerated by an indulgent Roger.
Spoiler:
Bringing you all together in the same time frame, I hope.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:19 pm
"I came here looking for Jerry," says Victoria to Elizabeth. "The orphanage has told me nothing. What do you know about me? Who were my parents?"

Speaking as if to herself, Elizabeth does not answer her questions, but merely says "I was going to send for you later. But now that you have arrived on your own, I suppose you can begin working as David's governess. Goodness, you don't even know who David is, do you? This is all so confusing. It's happening much too fast." There are tears in her eyes, quickly wiped away.

Time passes. Victoria settles into her former position as governess (although only she knows this has happened before), but things are slightly different. David's mother is present, but provides only affection and not the education he needs. (She insists that he not attend either public school nor even one of the fine private schools in New England, but be taught at home. Roger, as usual, gives in to the whims of his wife.)
Spoiler:

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:21 pm
"Mr. Forbes!" says Victoria, turning with a smile. "It is good to see you again."
With an inviting smile at Nathan, Carolyn says "Who's your handsome friend, Vicki?"

It quickly develops through conversation that Jeremiah has settled into the Old House, and has been accepted as a distant cousin.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 am

"Likewise, Miss Winters," says Nathan. "And it seems the Reverend is here too, at Rose Cottage, did you say madam?"
Nathan learns that Trask has been in residence for some time, supposedly as Mrs. Collins' spiritual advisor, although the two are not often seen together. He soon finds out that Mrs. Laura Collins appears to be Miss Stockbridge's twin.
Spoiler:

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:29 am
It occurs to Josette that the Khan may able to help her orient herself relative to the world she's familiar with - and surely he must be a good and hospitable lord to be so celebrated and receive so many visitors. (It also occurs to her that she might be dreaming). She thanks her hostess for the tea and bids her farewell, before making her way to one of the boats.
It is a simple matter to enter one of the many small boats, the occupants of which all seem pleasant and friendly. The vessel is swept down the swiftly flowing river, into vast caverns whose rocky walls are coated with ice, yet the air is warm and sweet. Deep within the deepest part of the cavern, lit with countless airy lanterns, there is a vast dome, constructed of ivory and wood. The boat lands at the base of the dome, along with many others. The passengers are greeted by imposing men of mighty physique, who converse in multiple tongues. One of these addresses Josette with what must be the same inquiry made of all.

"Do you seek audience with the Great Khan?"

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask keeps watch over Laura, making sure she doesn't do anything harmful or untoward.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This is Nathan Forbes, Carolyn," says Victoria, "formerly of the United States Navy. Mr. Forbes. this is Carolyn Stoddard."

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:07 am
by SunlessNick

"Delighted to meet you, Miss Stoddard," says Nathan, taking and kissing Carolyn's hand in a show of gallantry.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:09 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:31 am
It is a simple matter to enter one of the many small boats, the occupants of which all seem pleasant and friendly. The vessel is swept down the swiftly flowing river, into vast caverns whose rocky walls are coated with ice, yet the air is warm and sweet. Deep within the deepest part of the cavern, lit with countless airy lanterns, there is a vast dome, constructed of ivory and wood. The boat lands at the base of the dome, along with many others. The passengers are greeted by imposing men of mighty physique, who converse in multiple tongues. One of these addresses Josette with what must be the same inquiry made of all.

"Do you seek audience with the Great Khan?"
"I do," says Josette simply.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By the time that Nathan Forbes arrives, Victoria Winters and Reverend Trask have been in residence for some time. Little of importance occurs during the year or that passes by until all are reunited. Jeremiah has settled into the Old House, and, for the most part, minds his business, not acknowledging any hints that he is not of this time and place (once over his initial shock at seeing Reverend Trask.)

Just before Forbes shows up, the marriage of Roger and Laura Collins seems to be breaking up, although nothing melodramatic happens. They just drift apart, as so many couples do. Laura moves to Phoenix, Arizona, promising to return some day to visit their son David, who remains in the custody of Roger, mostly for financial reasons. As one might expect, this has a strong effect on the boy, who becomes disobedient and develops an interest in macabre subjects, even claiming to speak to ghosts. He often wanders off into the dark forest of Collinswood, stares into the sea from the top of Widow's Hill, and breaks into the Old House when Jeremiah is not present. At home, he is fond of playing pranks, pretending to be dead and placing toads and spiders into dresser drawers. This misbehavior exacerbates Roger, who leaves most of the childcare to Victoria, while he drinks quantities of brandy and becomes something of a cynic, spouting satiric quips as if he were living in an Oscar Wilde play.

Carolyn's response to Nathan's gallantry is a girlish giggle and a flirtatious flip of her long blonde hair. She takes the young man's arm and directs him to the couch in the drawing room.

"Now you sit right down next to me and tell me all about your exciting adventures," she says, gazing directly into his eyes.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The guard, for so he seems to be, bows and directs Josette to a door, so cleverly constructed that it seems to be all of a piece with the great dome, and could not be detected by casual inspection. Opening silently, the door reveals the vast ceiling of the dome to be decorated with jade, gold, ivory, and nacre, these precious substances forming abstract mosaics of the kind oft found in Arabia. Tall slender pillars of shining marble support the dome, and wrapped about these are vines forged from silver, so delicately wrought that they put their natural model to shame. Carpets of the Turkish kind cover the floor. Exotic scents fill the room, produced by small burning tapers of fragrant woods. Men and women of unusual beauty, finely but scantily dressed in filmy silks and laces, stroll about the place, whisper to each other, indulge in delicacies and beverages brought to them by servants, themselves hardly distinguishable from those they serve, on golden trays. There is much amorous play, of a kind better suited to private rooms, and this is not entirely restricted to persons of differing sexes. Seated on a throne of surprisingly simple design, on a dais that raises him high enough to observe all that goes on, surrounded by languid dancers and musicians, is he who must be the great Khan. He is dressed in yellow silk robes covered with black inscriptions of an unfamiliar alphabet. His long black hair and drooping black mustache drift in a breeze of uncertain source. His dark eyes watch Josette enter, but he does not otherwise acknowledge her.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria explains to the travelers from 1795 about her time and the history between then and now, helping them adjust to their new home. She does her best to keep David in line.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No doubt the boy's misbehavior is due to Laura Collins's influence, even in her absence," says Reverend Trask. "I would like to conduct an exorcism on him, with the help of your prayers, to free him from it."

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:22 am
by SunlessNick

Nathan regales Carolyn with tales of the Navy and the supernatural phenomena he has faced since coming to Collinsport, though he remains vague when it comes to time and place.

In private with Victoria and the Reverend he asks if they believe this journey in time to be permanent.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:28 am
by SunlessNick

Josette turns scarlet at the improper sights around her, and does her best to ignore everything she sees (though she will of course reply with courtesy to anyone who speaks with her). She tries to pick her way delicately toward the Khan, looking up at him as she does to see if he takes note of her approach.

I haven't said much about what Millicent is doing during all this - mostly she'd be taking care of Daniel after his injuries, trying to brighten the mood of the stricken household, and praying for the safety of the missing.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Image Image

"Perhaps not," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Winters is clearly from this time, and she has managed to return."

"While things are very similar," says Victoria, "not everything is the same. Things have happened differently here, possibly because of our presence here, and the changes made in 1795 - including your absence. Perhaps Professor Stokes can answer more questions about the phenomenon. He told me about the possibility of traveling in time once, and of events taking different courses. He mentioned the I Ching, which is an ancient Chinese method for telling the future. Those sticks that brought us to this time are used with the I Ching."

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The ceremony of exorcism is arranged, David being lured into thinking it a sort of game, with the sort of eerie mood he enjoys.
Spoiler:
David has a WIS of 11, for a reason I won't discuss here, so a roll to resist. I'll reroll for Victoria's Faith point is needed.d20
The ceremony does have an effect. David no longer has nightmares of being trapped in a fire. Some of his behavior seems to be a matter of personality rather than the supernatural, however, as he still plays pranks, is not always obedient, and is sometimes observed having conversations with an imaginary companion when he doesn't know someone is listening.

Meanwhile, Carolyn is quite taken with Nathan. (The young women of this time are often quite bold in the display of their affections, not to mention the display of their limbs.) As pleasant as this situation may be, if offers the challenge of keeping her from learning too much.

Professor Stokes is nothing averse to receiving guests, and is known to be fond of discoursing upon the subject of the occult. Once all the proper introductions are made, he inquires as to the reason for this pleasant visit.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon seeing the new arrival approach, the Great Khan raises a hand, which bears the long fingernails of a mandarin, and gestures for Josette to approach, still not speaking.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I remember you once told me of the possibility of time travel, Professor," says Victoria. "You were right. I traveled back in time to the year 1795 somehow, and I was there for some time. I eventually found a way to return, via the I Ching as you had mentioned. However, I returned before I had left, and some things were different. Also, a few people from 1795 have also made the journey to these times. I came following one of them. Some things were changed, as you had suggested they would. Small things, for the most part. Had I returned earlier still, I could have tried to save President Kennedy, which would have been a great change, but I was too late for that."

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, I am one of the people from the Year of Our Lord 1795," says Reverend Trask. "This era takes some getting used to. There are wonders of science, but in many ways things are worse. There have been wars that encompassed the whole world, resulting in the slaughter of untold millions. Science has been turned to dark purposes as well: weapons that can destroy an entire city. Sin runs rampant, with women dressing and acting brazenly, and men embracing wickedness. And yet in all this time, the Lord has not yet returned. Surely it cannot be long, now that Israel has been reborn in a day in 1948 and has just this year reunited Jerusalem. How much worse will things get before He does come back? I would like to return to my own time, if there is a way. I believe I can do more to stem the tide of evil in a time when it was less overt and extreme."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 am
by SunlessNick

"I must admit that I am not entirely in agreement with the Reverend regarding the more... forthright behaviour of the women of this time. Nevertheless, there was a certain honour to life - even warfare - which appears to have been lost. And we left much behind us that is undone. So I too should wish to return hime if I can."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:27 am
by SunlessNick

Josette closes the rest of the distance to the Khan and drops a curtsey. "I beg your pardon, Great Khan, but I am unfamiliar with the ways of your land, and do not know how I should address you beyond that title."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Listening to the remarkable stories of his guests, Professor Stokes is intrigued, yet not entirely surprised.

"Yes, I have long thought that such a journey would be theoretically possible. I am also quite convinced that Miss Winters would be incapable of producing such an extraordinary tale if it were not true. I refer not to a lack of creative imagination on your part, my dear, but rather little skill in the art of deception.

"And, if my aging eyes do not deceive me, the accoutrements of these two gentlemen could not have been manufactured in modern times, as new as they appear to be, and although they bear some resemblance to what might be found on Carnaby Street."

He pauses for a moment to walk over to a tall cabinet, which he opens with a small silver key. From the cabinet he obtains the familiar sight of yarrow sticks.

"These are said to have belonged to Kong Qiu himself, although I cannot vouch for the veracity of their provenance. I have never been bold enough to attempt to make use of them in the way you describe, as the method is fraught with peril. However, they are at your disposal, if you wish to attempt to make the trip.

"I cannot help but feel that you have arrived here for some reason. And, from what you tell me, so has Mister Jeremiah Collins. The question remains as to what that might be."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Great Khan gestures for Josette to approach, still not speaking.

Spoiler:
unexplained die rolld20
As she draws near, he strikes a gong which stands by his side. The sound rings throughout the dome, causing all present to cease their various activities, and stand still. A strange figure enters the dome from a heretofore unsuspected chamber, hidden behind another cunningly wrought door. Unlike all others herein, he is old and wizened, wearing only rags. His eyes are wide open, revealing that they bear the solid whiteness of a particular form of blindness. Despite this infirmity, he moves easily to the side of the throne, and faces the Great Khan.

That personage, in a deep voice, says "Speak."

The elderly fellow turns to face Josette.

"The small man from the small island grows large! He dares to taunt the asp! He confounds the lion and the eagle, and steals the crown from the high priest! Yet let him beware of the bear, for such will drive him back, where the lion awaits!"

When this curious speech is concluded, the Great Khan gestures to what must be serving maids, although they are arrayed in as fine raiment as any lady present, who fetch the strange man two golden bowls, one bearing what seems to be a substance as thick as honey, but entirely transparent, and another what might be milk, did it not glow like moonlight. The man devours these eagerly.

"He speaks of nothing but war," the Great Khan says, in an amused voice. "Yet perhaps such is not to your taste. What eternal pleasure do you seek here?

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 am
by SunlessNick

"Do you know how you first went back in time, Miss WInters?" asks Nathan. "Do you believe there was a purpose to it, or was it an accident?" He thinks for a moment. "We can at least spend some time here learning of what should be our immediate futures - perhaps there is yet more trouble for the Collins family that we might have the chance to avert."

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:47 am
by SunlessNick

Josette is stupefied by the elder's bizarre speech, wondering what lt could mean. If it as war, as the Khan said, could the Lion and Bear be England and Russia?
"You speak insightfully, Great Khan. War is not to my taste, though such a warning must surely be of import, and I thank you for it. But I believe I wish only to return from whence I came. I am in search of someone, and he is not here. However, I am uncertain how to make the journey - my arrival in your lands was as if in a dream."

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's true, I cannot lie," says Victoria. "I'm not quite sure how I went back in time, but it wasn't through the I Ching. I don't think it was an accident. I must have gone back in time for a purpose. There were numerous tragedies that had happened to the Collins family in 1795 that I had learned about, and I managed to prevent them and change the past. Josette would have died had I not been there, and little Sarah would have died as well. Barnabas was cursed to become a vampire, forever mourning Josette, but Reverend Trask managed to find him and break the curse, which he wouldn't have been able to do had I not saved Josette and handled the music box, thus alerting him that Angelique was a witch."

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"There was a time when I suspected you were a witch, Miss Winters," says Reverend Trask. "Now that I know the truth, everything makes sense. It does appear that it is God's will that we are here in this time, at least for now. Since you returned to your time when your work in ours was done, it appears we can do the same, but we still have work to do here and now. I know that Jeremiah Collins came here to find Laura, whom you referred to as a phoenix. It is an apt description. I followed in his footsteps to find him."

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:07 am
by SunlessNick

"We have worked well together in the past. We can do so again."

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Some days after this conference, during which time the visitors are discreetly instructed in the manners of the present by Miss Winters, there comes tragic news. A telegram addressed to Roger Collins reveals that Laura Collins died in a fire in her apartment in Arizona. He is very upset, yet manages to maintain enough control to keep the news from David for a while. The boy somehow manages to discover the truth -- has he been rummaging through wastebaskets, where the telegram might have been carelessly thrown? In any case, he is completely distraught by the discovery, thrashing about and shrieking, mostly incoherently, although sometimes he can be heard screaming "She's not dead! She's not dead!" Confined to his room for lack of a better way to deal with his anguish, he manages to break the window, leap down to the ground, and escape into the dark forest of Collinswood. During the search for the lost boy, it becomes clear that Jeremiah Collins is no longer in residence at the Old House, his present whereabouts unknown.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"You are free to go. But you shall always return."

With those words, the Great Khan and his court vanish, to be replaced by the modest shack of the Oriental man. Josette is alone with the fellow her companions nowhere to be seen. She feels an overwhelming compulsion to experience once again the visions induced by the smoking of the black, tarry substance, which the man offers for a price.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We know that both young David and Jeremiah are looking for Laura," says Reverend Trask. "It is possible that they have gone to seek her together."

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All of this has happened before," says Victoria, "but somewhat differently. Laura Collins did not die in the fire, any more than she did in your time. She later returned, before I went to your time." She tells them what happened in her first encounter with Laura. "We should search David's room, and the Old House where Jeremiah was staying. There may be writings or other things they left behind that will give some clue as to what prompted them to leave. I think they probably headed for Phoenix, Arizona, where she apparently died. We could go there once we've exhausted our avenues of investigation here. It's a much swifter and safer journey in this time. We could fly there in an airplane."

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am
by SunlessNick

"I would be fascinated to experience one of these flying machines," says Nathan. "For now, I think Miss Winters and I should begin with the Old House - Jeremiah Collins is the more likely of the two to have left something behind him to indicate what he knows. Reverend Trask, a religious man may arouse less suspicion asking to search the boy's room, and I suspect it would not take as long.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 am
She feels an overwhelming compulsion to experience once again the visions induced by the smoking of the black, tarry substance, which the man offers for a price.
Does she have enough money to pay for it?

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
unexplained die rolls2d20
Nathan and Victoria enter the Old House together. It proves to be deserted, Jeremiah having apparently left in some haste. A search of the drawing room reveals a printed schedule for the Collinsport train station, with times listed for the weekly run to Grand Central Terminal, New York City. There is also a scrap of paper with what seems to be a telephone number.

(602) 555-1000

Of notice also is a portrait, seemingly of great age, that is recognizably that of Josette, but appearing gaunt and haggard, if not much older than when last seen.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
unexplained die rolld20
A search of David's room reveals that his map of the United States, formerly hanging on the wall and now hidden in a desk drawer, has been marked with crayon. A thick black line leads from Collinsport to New York City, and a red one from New York City to Arizona.

While all this searching goes on, Mrs. Stoddard announces that she must leave Collinsport on a business trip. This is remarkable for two reasons. Not only does it seem inappropriate to leave while David is missing, but Mrs. Stoddard has not left the grounds of Collinwood for many years.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The price is well within your means, at least for the moment.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It appears that they took the train to New York, and from there planned to fly to Phoenix," says Victoria. "We can look up in the library where the 602 area code is, but my guess is that it's for Phoenix. We could try placing a long distance call to the number. I wonder what has happened to Josette, who did not come with us but remained behind in 1795. Perhaps when the rest of you return, you can help her. I also have to wonder if Mrs. Stoddard is going to look for David herself."

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When the phone number is called, a woman's voice says "Phoenix Police Department, may I help you?"

Casual inquiry reveals that Mrs. Stoddard purchased a round trip ticket to New York City, intending to return on the next train back to Collinsport, apparently meaning to stay in the Big Apple only briefly.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're looking for a missing child," says Victoria. "His name is David Collins. He ran away from home, and we have reason to believe he is heading to the Phoenix area. He may be in the company of an older relative named Jeremiah Collins who has also gone to Phoenix." She describes David and Jeremiah. "David's mother Laura Collins recently died in a fire in Phoenix, and when he found out, he ran away."

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:19 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps it would have been the result of the melancholia you wre able to alleviate," says Nathan of the portrait of Josette.

"These devices would have been a godsend in wartime," he adds after watching Miss Winters use the telephone.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:21 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am
The price is well within your means, at least for the moment.
Josette is also awaiting the return of the others, and it would be churlish to refuse her host's hospitality while she does so.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're not the only one to think so," Victoria tells Nathan after the call is over. "These and similar devices have been used in wartime. The telephone was invented in 1876 by Alexander Graham Bell, but it needs wires to work. However, a wireless device called a radio was invented almost twenty years later by a man named Marconi. They've been used in both world wars, and they're also used in the war in Vietnam that's happening right now. They've gotten smaller and better over time too. I have a radio you can carry around with you. It only receives and doesn't send, but it's great for listening to music."

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:58 pm
"We're looking for a missing child," says Victoria. "His name is David Collins. He ran away from home, and we have reason to believe he is heading to the Phoenix area. He may be in the company of an older relative named Jeremiah Collins who has also gone to Phoenix." She describes David and Jeremiah. "David's mother Laura Collins recently died in a fire in Phoenix, and when he found out, he ran away."
"Just a moment, please."

The clicking sound of the line being transferred comes over the wire. There is a brief delay.

"Detective McGarvey, Arson. You got some info on the Collins case? Somethin' about a missin' kid?"

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once the modest payment is made, the man hands Josette a pipe similar to his own, and a wooden box containing a small supply of the black, tarry substance with which it is to be filled. He bows his head, indicating that the transaction has been completed.

"Good day, Miss. Pleasant dreams."

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, his name is David Collins," says Victoria. "He's Laura Collins's son." She fills in the detective about what she had told the woman who had answered the phone.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:52 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 am
Once the modest payment is made, the man hands Josette a pipe similar to his own, and a wooden box containing a small supply of the black, tarry substance with which it is to be filled. He bows his head, indicating that the transaction has been completed.

"Good day, Miss. Pleasant dreams."
Sensing the dismissal, Josette takes her leave, saying only that she may return to see whether the man has heard anything of the others. Once back at the house, in her room, she tries to smoke a pinch of the substance.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm

"Yes, his name is David Collins," says Victoria. "He's Laura Collins's son." She fills in the detective about what she had told the woman who had answered the phone.
With little enthusiasm, Detective McGarvey, says, "OK. I'll check with the Collinsport PD, and have all the bus and railroad stations alerted, as well as the airport. 'Course, that won't be much help if what's-his-name, Jeremiah, is comin' by car. What's his relation to the kid, anyway? Relative? If the boy went with the guy of his own free will, there ain't much we can do. Only natural he'd wanna his last respects to his mom, poor kid. Not that there was much left of her, if you'll pardon the bluntness. Maybe this Jeremiah character wants to make the final arrangements. Anything else we can do for you, Miss?"

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon taking the first puff, Josette is immediately transported -- in spirit, if not in flesh -- to the ice caverns of the Great Khan. The air is chill, with a breeze of uncertain origin hissing through the cave. Echoing through the cavern is the distant, high-pitched wailing of a woman, expressive of unsatisfied desire. A river, upon which float floes of ice, makes its way lazily into the darkness beyond this region, which is dimly lit with a few weakly smoldering tapers. The wind carries the smoke from these fires into the unseen areas of the cavern. There are no inhabitants to be seen.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Detective, you've been very helpful," says Victoria. "Jeremiah Collins - he goes by Jerry - is a distant cousin of David. He was in love with Laura Collins once, so he's probably heading out to Phoenix too. I don't know if they're together, but it would make sense. The only thing is, neither of them said anything before they left, and David's father and aunt are worried. Based on what we found where Jerry was staying, he took a train from Collinsport to New York. He also had this phone number on a scrap of paper where he was staying, so he may have called your office for information. In David's room, we found a map where he drew a line in black crayon from Collinsport to New York City and in red from New York City to Arizona."

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am
by SunlessNick

"If he were taking a car, surely he could procure it here," says Nathan. "The only reason to detour to New York City would be to secure a means of travel he cannot find here. Since he drew in two colours, one may assume a different one from that which he used to get there. You are most likely correct that he means to use one of these aeroplanes."

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:32 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am
Upon taking the first puff, Josette is immediately transported -- in spirit, if not in flesh -- to the ice caverns of the Great Khan. The air is chill, with a breeze of uncertain origin hissing through the cave. Echoing through the cavern is the distant, high-pitched wailing of a woman, expressive of unsatisfied desire. A river, upon which float floes of ice, makes its way lazily into the darkness beyond this region, which is dimly lit with a few weakly smoldering tapers. The wind carries the smoke from these fires into the unseen areas of the cavern. There are no inhabitants to be seen.
Josette goes in search of the crying woman, to offer comfort. Though she is somewhat frightened at the changed state of the cavern.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A couple of days go by. A methodical man, Detective McGarvey calls back, to report that nobody matching the description of Jeremiah or David has arrived in Phoenix. Meanwhile, Mrs. Stoddard returns from new York City. Immediately upon arrival, she requests a private audience with Miss Winters.

"I've been to the Hammond Foundling Home. My intention was to discover why you arrived here, when I had not yet contacted the home requesting that you serve as David's governess. Imagine my shock when I discovered that the real Victoria Winters was still in residence there, working for the home! I admit that you could be identical twins, and I don't pretend to understand all this, but I believe I deserve some answers. Who are you, really? What do you want? Do you know anything about David's disappearance?" Although she is obviously attempting to control herself, Mrs. Stoddard is clearly quite upset.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following the wailing sound leads Josette deep into the winding caves. There, in a damp alcove, barely lit by a single bare candle, sits a woman, her face in her hands, weeping. Her clothing is obviously of fine silk, richly decorated, but worn and tattered. She does not notice Josette's approach.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am
Following the wailing sound leads Josette deep into the winding caves. There, in a damp alcove, barely lit by a single bare candle, sits a woman, her face in her hands, weeping. Her clothing is obviously of fine silk, richly decorated, but worn and tattered. She does not notice Josette's approach.
"What ails you?" asks Josette. "Perhaps I can be of aid to you."

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am in fact the real Victoria Winters," says Victoria. "So is the girl living at the Hammond Foundling Home, though she is a little younger than me. Why there are two of us will take some explanation, but I can prove that I am she. Ask me anything that Victoria Winters would know, and I will answer. I know all about the Hammond Foundling Home, having grown up there. However, I do not know who my parents are, though you clearly do. I hope you will share that information with me, as I will freely answer your own questions. All I know about David's disappearance is what my friends and I have discovered in our own investigation. I only want to help him, and you." She fills on Elizabeth on their discoveries about David and Jeremiah's disappearance.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The woman rises, her eyes open wide and red from weeping, and grasps Josette by the shoulders, her fingers digging deep into her flesh.

"Where is he? Have you seen him? Oh, where is my thrice-damned lover, who sends my soul to a Hell that is sweeter than paradise? How long have I been wailing for him? It seems like many days and many nights, although there is neither day nor night here!"

She laughs hysterically for a moment, her face twisted into a grotesque mask, then returns to a state of agitated despair, mixed with rage.

"You have stolen him! Jezebel! You shall not have him!" Her fingers grip Josette's throat, as if intent on murder, then releases her and collapses to the ground, moaning in agony.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mrs. Stoddard does not respond for some time. When she speaks, her voice is flat and emotionless, as if she is trying very hard to hold back her emotions.

"Your story is outlandish, ridiculous, absurd. But there is something so sincere about you. So many strange things have happened at Collinwood. Either there is some truth to what you are saying, or you are simply a lunatic.

"Very well. Let me offer you a bargain. I will pay for a flight to Phoenix for you and those other odd people who arrived from nowhere. Find David, and return him here safely, and I will tell you everything you want to know. I'll think of something to tell Roger and Carolyn. If you do not return . . . perhaps that might be for the best."

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We have an agreement," says Victoria.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:20 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 am
The woman rises, her eyes open wide and red from weeping, and grasps Josette by the shoulders, her fingers digging deep into her flesh.

"Where is he? Have you seen him? Oh, where is my thrice-damned lover, who sends my soul to a Hell that is sweeter than paradise? How long have I been wailing for him? It seems like many days and many nights, although there is neither day nor night here!"

She laughs hysterically for a moment, her face twisted into a grotesque mask, then returns to a state of agitated despair, mixed with rage.

"You have stolen him! Jezebel! You shall not have him!" Her fingers grip Josette's throat, as if intent on murder, then releases her and collapses to the ground, moaning in agony.
"I know not to whom you refer," Josette says, though she keeps a somewhat wary distance from the woman after being released. "I had thought to find many men and women in these caves."

A shameful part of her wonders if Amos could be convinced to try this substance. They could be together in dreams with no risk of impropriety.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Collinwood is notably quieter once the three recent arrivals have departed , "to see the rest of the country," as Mrs. Stoddard explains. The search of young David Collins is kept discreet, for the moment, as this is not the first time he has vanished for a few days, only to return unrepentant and little the worse for wear.

An airplane trip is a new experience for an oddly assorted trio of visitors from the East; two of them more than the other, it seems. With well over three-quarters of a million people, the Phoenix metropolitan area is a far cry from little Collinsport, although not as impressive as New York City or Boston. The heat and low humidity are new experiences as well. Once settled in to this new environment, there remains the question of how to begin this somewhat quixotic quest.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"The demon lover!" the woman cries. "Oh, he burns like the flames of perdition, so sweetly! His embrace causes such exquisite agony! I have wandered time out of mind through these cold, cold caves, wishing only to be enslaved again. Will you not lead me to him? Come, let us search together."

She grabs Josette's hand and tries to pull her deeper into the maze of caverns.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go look up Detective McGarvey," suggests Victoria. "He's been investigating the case, so he'll know a lot about it. Maybe he's made progress since I spoke to him and will have new information."

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A taxicab, modern equivalent of a hired coach, takes the trio to police headquarters. After a considerable length of time spent waiting, they are allowed to meet with Detective McGarvey, a heavyset, balding man, who waves them into chairs that are less than comfortable.

Without prelude, he says "Yeah?"

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:30 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan feels battered by the noise of the city, and glad to get into any building. He agrees with Victoria that speaking to the detective is most likely the best start.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:34 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 am
"The demon lover!" the woman cries. "Oh, he burns like the flames of perdition, so sweetly! His embrace causes such exquisite agony! I have wandered time out of mind through these cold, cold caves, wishing only to be enslaved again. Will you not lead me to him? Come, let us search together."

She grabs Josette's hand and tries to pull her deeper into the maze of caverns.
"None should be enslaved," says Josette. But you are in pain, and I will help you search." The woman's story makes her think of Amos - as shameful as that is - and what it must be to be possessed by that gentle yet strong man of the sea.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good day, Detective," says Victoria. "We've spoken before, on the telephone. I'm Victoria Winters. I spoke to you about a missing boy, David Collins. My friends and I came here to find him and bring him home, and we were hoping you've made some progress on the case."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you," says Reverend Trask. "I'm Reverend Orville Trask."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Looking up at the visitors, the detective remarks, "Yeah, I remember. I recall talkin' to you, but I don't know these two characters with you. All I can tell you is what's public knowledge. The Collins kid showed up with his guardian the other day on a Greyhound bus. I had a coupla guys keepin' an eye on 'em. Nothin' suspicious. The kid is here of his own free will. If there's some kind of domestic dispute back home -- Maine, wasn't it? -- that's out of my line. They visited the apartment where the kid's mother burned up, poor tyke. Seems natural enough. You got anything to add to the arson case? The boys in the lab are calling it 'spontaneous combustion,' which sounds like a lotta baloney to me."

Turning to the men, he says, "So what's your interest in the kid, fellas? I don't think the lady was exactly the church-goin' type, Padre."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Deeper and deeper the woman leads Josette into the maze of caves. The air grows colder, the illumination provided by the few weak candles ever dimmer. Soon, barely perceived in near total darkness, there seem to be occasional human figures lying upon the ice-shrouded rock. The woman disregards these, and soon thereafter wanders aimlessly, often retracing her steps.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:37 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 amTurning to the men, he says, "So what's your interest in the kid, fellas? I don't think the lady was exactly the church-goin' type, Padre."
"Indeed she is not," says Nathan. "We are here mainly out of concern for the boy. And of course we could not allow Miss Winters to undertake such a quest alone."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:39 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:11 am
Deeper and deeper the woman leads Josette into the maze of caves. The air grows colder, the illumination provided by the few weak candles ever dimmer. Soon, barely perceived in near total darkness, there seem to be occasional human figures lying upon the ice-shrouded rock. The woman disregards these, and soon thereafter wanders aimlessly, often retracing her steps.
Josette puts a hand on the woman's arm to stop her, and examines one of the figures - it it a person? - are they alive or dead?

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Just so," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Winters is one of my parishioners, and we could hardly let her travel unescorted. I would also like to make sure young David returns home to his father safely."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Laura Collins was David's mother," says Victoria. "With her passing, his father Roger Collins has sole and undisputed custody, so it's not a domestic dispute. He ran away from home, upset because of his mother's death, and came here because this is where she lived. Jerry is a more distant relation of his. Do you know where they are now?"

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The various persons discovered in this frigid and gloomy place are without life, although the extreme cold preserves their bodies, much in the manner of waxworks. Each bears a wide smile, and eyes open wide, covered with frost, as if they died in ecstasy. The woman collapses to the ground, as if she would join them. As she does so, a biting wind emerges from yet deeper within the cave, from parts completely without illumination.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"My guys followed 'em as far as the Hermosa Inn, in the community of Paradise Valley, outside of town. Place was the home of some cowboy artist, I think. Now it's a guest ranch. Nothin' suspicious, so we quit tailin' 'em. Kid seemed to be havin' a ball, ridin' and stuff." He shrugs. "Check it out if you like. It's a free country."

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we'll do that," says Victoria.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:29 am
The various persons discovered in this frigid and gloomy place are without life, although the extreme cold preserves their bodies, much in the manner of waxworks. Each bears a wide smile, and eyes open wide, covered with frost, as if they died in ecstasy. The woman collapses to the ground, as if she would join them. As she does so, a biting wind emerges from yet deeper within the cave, from parts completely without illumination.
Josette tries to pull the woman to her feet. "Come, we must away from here before we share the fate of these poor souls."

She finds herself wishing even harder that Amos were here. She has been distant from him since he came to work at Collinswood, something for which she abruptly filled with guilt and regret.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 am
by SunlessNick

"You have our thanks," says Nathan.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
3d20Neither persuasion nor force can prevent the woman from rushing ever deeper into the darkness of the icy caverns. Josette is left behind in what now seems to be an inescapable labyrinth. Rushing hither and yon, without any sense of direction, in what would seem to be a hopeless search for escape, until . . .

Waking up in her own bedchamber, she recalls what seems to have been a vivid nightmare. When she rises and gazes in a looking glass, she sees that her face shows the first signs of aging, as if years have gone by. Are all her nights doomed to be haunted by such dreams?

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After arranging for transportation, the trio arrive at the Hermosa Inn, which turns out to be a combination of a dude ranch and a luxury resort. There are horses and bridal trails available for the guests, hiking trails, swimming pools, cookouts, and fine dining. The reception area is a building made from rough-hewn wood, but richly decorated. Upon entering the three are greeted by an employee in stylish Western clothing.

"Welcome to the Hermosa Inn. Do you have a reservation?"

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, I'm afraid not," says Victoria. "We do have a couple of friends staying here, Jerry and David Collins." She describes them.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask stands back and lets Victoria do the talking, as this is her time, lest he accidentally commit some faux pas that would not fit in the twentieth century.

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, yes, the Collins boy and his guardian. I believe they went out horseback riding early this morning."

It is now late afternoon, the blazing sun casting gaudily colored shadows on the desert landscape.

"Strange. They should have been back by now."

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We should go look for them," says Victoria. "Which way did they head?"

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can ride a horse, if you have any spare ones," says Reverend Trask, who is relieved that people in this time still ride horses, given the ubiquity of automobiles powered by - what had Victoria told him they were called? Infernal combustion engines? Yes, that sounded like a fitting name.

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Let me give you a map of the bridal trails," the receptionist says.

The paper indicates that once the trailhead is passed, the trials divide three ways.

"They could have gone on any one of these paths. There are plenty of horses for hire, but it's starting to get dark. Riding can be risky at night. I'd have to have you sign a safety waiver if you want to look for them now."

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"That just means that you agree not to hold them responsible if you have an accident," explains Victoria to her friends. "I'll sign."

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well, so shall I," says Reverend Trask, who is used to living in a time when people were considered responsible for their own actions as a matter of course.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:30 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan signs as well.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette prays at the sight of herself in the mirror, asking God for the strength not to use the tarry substance again.

Remembering what she experienced in the dream, she goes in search of Amos, contriving a job she "need" from him. While they are alone, she says, "Since you came to work here, I have not treated you as I should have. You are fine man, both strong and gentle, and I feel safe and protected whenever you are near. I should have told you this weeks ago."

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As stated, the bridal trail breaks into three different paths after a short ride away from the lodge. To the left, the trail descends to follow a dry riverbed (an arroyo, in these parts) for a way. Straight ahead, it leads to a flat area full of rocks and sand and desert flora, including tall saguaro cacti. To the right, it climbs gently to follow the edge of a ridge that eventually rises to become a considerable cliff, affording a view of the other areas as well as the lodge itself. With all trails being popular among the guests, there are hoofprints everywhere, so it is not immediately evident where Jeremiah and David might have gone.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS roll to resist the power of the addictive substance.d20
Josette is able to resist the dark attractions of the tarry substance, and goes so far as to destroy the supply entirely. She is soon restored to her former youth, health, and beauty, and is no longer plagues by disturbing but somehow attractive visions of another existence.

Imagining his summons to be related only to some task requiring his strength and skill, Amos is seen to flush slightly at Josette's words.

"Dare I hope . . .No, there can be no place for us here." He takes her hand, with surprising gentleness. "If there were some new land, free from the strictures of place and position. Alas! Who would wish to suffer the indignities of settling the wilderness, afar from all the comforts and safety of civilization? It is not to be imagined."

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:21 pm
by SunlessNick

"We could divide our course," suggests Nathan to Reverend Trask. "One of us take the arroyo, and the other ascend the cliff route with Miss Winters. The latter should be able to scan the desert, while the former would be able to examine places hidden from the cliff by the valley walls."

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:25 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 am"Dare I hope . . .No, there can be no place for us here." He takes her hand, with surprising gentleness. "If there were some new land, free from the strictures of place and position. Alas! Who would wish to suffer the indignities of settling the wilderness, afar from all the comforts and safety of civilization? It is not to be imagined."
"Recently, I... had a fearful experience. Not quite a dream, but I was in a dark place, and alone. It was to you my thoughts turned for comfort and the hope of safety. With you, I believe I could brave any discomfort or danger."

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Winters, you should decide which of us shall accompany you."

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"You should come with me, Mr. Forbes," says Victoria. "As a sailor, you'll be skilled at climbing."

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Amos turns away from Josette and speaks as if to himself, although his words are clearly meant to be overheard.

"I had thought to seek my fortune in the Northwest Territory. A new land, where a man could raise himself as high as two skilled hands and a strong back could allow. But it is a dangerous place, full of wild animals, trackless wilderness, and savage men of all races. The journey there alone costs many lives, to the ravages of disease, the violence of brigands, or simply to the losing of one's way and the torture of starvation. It is no fate for a refined lady."

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Following the arroyo, Reverend Trask feels a cold wind, and feels a few drops of rain strike his skin. Precipitation is rare in this land, it seems, but when it occurs, it is often sudden and heavy.
Spoiler:
dex rolld20
As a downpour fills the arroyo with swiftly rushing water, Trask is able to direct the horse to the side gracefully, avoiding the danger of his steed being swept into the flood. With great care, he is able to continue exploring the area without hazard, save for being wet.
Spoiler:
wis rolld20
The somewhat uncomfortable journey is not without its reward. Reverend Trask discovers a sheet of paper, carried this way by the water, upon which are written the words meet me at midnight near the giant cactus on the night of the full moon. (This would happen to be this evening, unless another month was meant.) The handwriting is most likely that of a lady.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Miss Winters and Mister Forbes ascend on their mounts, slowly but surely, until an unexpected heavy rain strikes.
Spoiler:
dex rolls2d20The dreaded 20! I'll presume Forbes has enough experience to get a bonus for riding, so 13 is enough
Frightened by a bolt of lightning that strikes closely, with a great roar of thunder that echoes through the valley below, Miss Winters' horse throws her to the ground and runs off madly up the slope.
Spoiler:
dex roll to escape injuryd20injury roll:d6
The falls twists her ankle badly. She is not able to walk without great effort. Forbes is able to lift her unto his own steed, so that the two may ride together.
Spoiler:
wis rolls2d20
Her senses unaffected, and perhaps even sharpened, by the pain of the injury, Miss Winters is able to detect a sheet of paper, blown here by the wind, which proves to be a crudely drawn map of the flat land below, with several large cacti indicated, one of which is marked with an X.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria shows the paper to Nathan. "Looks like this is our next stop," she says. She rubs her ankle, feeling somewhat better already.

Using Cure Light Wounds on myself.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask takes the piece of paper and heads off in the direction that Nathan and Victoria went, hoping to catch up to them and keeping an eye out for a giant cactus.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a simple matter to spot the particularly tall cactus -- a saguaro, to be exact -- reigning over its fellows. As the sun strikes the horizon, little else can be told from this distance.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask shows the paper he found to Victoria and Nathan. "It seems that a rendezvous is planned here for midnight tonight," he says.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria shows her own paper to Nathan. "Maybe Laura is planning to meet Jerry here," she says. "We'll have to hide and wait for midnight, watching the meeting place."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 pm
by SunlessNick

"Though I find it strange that two seemingly so closely related clues should appear in each of our paths," says Nathan. "Almost as if it were we who were meant to be lured to this spot. I agree nevertheless - we shall gain no further insight from avoiding this rendezvous. But we should be on our guard. How fares your ankle, Miss Winters?"

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:50 pm
by SunlessNick
"My life in Collinsport has brought me to the brink of death more than once," says Josette. Danger is a constant companion to man."

"That may be true, but could you consent to lower your station to that of a common householder? To dwell in a cabin made from roughly hewn logs? To wear plain clothing made by your own hand rather than fine gowns? It is too much to expect."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Forbes, it's doing better now," says Victoria. "It will heal with time, I just need to stay off of it as much as possible."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It may occur to the investigators that there would be little concealment in the tract of flat desert land at which the supposed rendezvous is thought to be taking place. This raises the issue of whether they should attempt some form of hiding themselves, or should confront those expected to arrive openly.

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's dark at night, which should help us hide," says Victoria. "We can tie the horses off somewhere nearby and walk back to the cactus, then conceal ourselves by lying on the ground and covering ourselves with the horse blankets. If we stand out in the open, they may decide not to meet here at all, and then we'd never find them. This way, we can wait until they arrive and then approach them."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds reasonable," says Reverend Trask. "Have you any thoughts on the matter, Mr. Forbes?"

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
No doubt the art of concealment, vital in matters of war, will be not unfamiliar to the naval veteran. With this aid, the adventurers are able to conceal themselves most effectively at a little distance from the lofty cactus, with the aid of sand placed over their blankets. (An unexpected advantage of this stratagem is the fact that the desert grows unexpectedly cold soon after sunset, and the blankets provide most welcome warmth.)

Under an exceptionally clear sky, in which the glow of the Milky Way is spread across the night and the stars shine brightly, the hidden trio hear the sound of wings approaching. Peering from under the blankets, they are able to observe the silhouette of a large bird, perhaps an eagle, pass across the stars and come to rest at the top of the tall cactus, far above their heads. There is also the soft sound of someone walking through the sand in their direction.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:13 pm
by SunlessNick

"The phoenix is a bird, no?" murmurs Nathan quietly.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm
by SunlessNick
SunlessNick wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:50 pm"That may be true, but could you consent to lower your station to that of a common householder? To dwell in a cabin made from roughly hewn logs? To wear plain clothing made by your own hand rather than fine gowns? It is too much to expect."
OOC:   Did you hit edit rather than quote?  

"You of all men have the right to ask it of me. I am sorry, I do not mean to vex you. Should I leave you to your thoughts for now?"

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's right," whispers Victoria.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should remain hidden for now," whispers Reverend Trask. "Jeremiah must be approaching. If things take a bad turn, I shall pray to banish the phoenix, and you can assist with that."

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm
Spoiler:
OOC:   Did you hit edit rather than quote?  
Oops. I guess so.

"You of all men have the right to ask it of me. I am sorry, I do not mean to vex you. Should I leave you to your thoughts for now?"
"Perhaps that would be best for the moment. And fret not that you have raised my ire. It is I whom I war with. Au revoir." (This latter phrase is expressed in a poor attempt at the correct pronunciation.)

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Depending on the experiences of the person observing, what occurs next may remind one of either the climax of a Fourth of July celebration; the burning bush that spoke to Moses; or, as celebrated in Mister Key's famed poem, the "rockets' red glare" during the bombardment of Fort McHenry. Eyes grown accustomed to darkness are blinded by a sudden blaze of light.

When it is possible to accurately perceive the result, what most seizes the vision is the large cactus, all aflame, and yet remaining unconsumed. Standing before it, in what might be mistaken for a wedding gown of simple design, were it not for its bright orange color, is the woman variously known as Laura Stockbridge or Laura Collins. In the light cast by the cactus -- or does it come from the lady herself? -- are revealed the figures of Jeremiah Collins and David Collins, the former pulling the latter along. Both appear fatigued and haggard, and much the worse for wear for their time in the desert. There is no sign of the horses. Laura opens her arms to them.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now," hisses Reverend Trask, and he quickly tries to banish Laura back to whatever foul domain whence she came, before she can give Jeremiah and David a fiery embrace.

Using Exorcism.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria prays for Reverend Trask's success.

If needed, I'll spend my Grace point for a reroll in the event the Exorcism fails.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Being associated with one of the classical Elements, the Phoenix is closest to what is listed in the manual as a Sprite (associated with Air, Earth, or Water.) Hence, Wisdom of 12. First attempt to resist.d20Spending the Faith Point, second attempt.d20
It takes some time for the combined spiritual efforts of Reverend Trask and Miss Winters to accomplish their desired aim. In time, however, the work is done. With a shriek that pierces the night, Laura in enveloped in flame and consumed in an instant, leaving behind only a pile of ashes. The giant cactus near where she stood, apparently only kept from being consumed by its own fire through some mystical power of the vanished woman. It crashes forward like a flaming battering ram.
Spoiler:
Jeremiah and David DEX to avoid it2d20 The dreaded 20, so damage:d6
Young David is able to slip away from Jeremiah's grasp and run off in the direction of the rescuers. However, Jeremiah stands frozen as the pillar of fire collapses upon him. Together, they fall to the ground, and his garments burst into flame.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:30 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan rushes forward, interposing himself between David and the conflagration. Is there any prospect of beating out the flames, or does that appear to be a lost cause? If so, Nathan will shoot Jeremiah - better a quick death by bullet than oene by fire.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria grabs her horse blanket and rushes to Jeremiah and David, hoping to smother the flames with it and then treat their injuries.

If we can get the fire out, I'll use Cure Light Wounds.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask rushes forward with his horse blanket with the same purpose.

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Let's just see if DEX failure causes any further injury from the fire. In speaking order, Nathan, Victoria, Trask:3d20

All three rushing to the flames in a desperate attempt to save Jeremiah, in the confusion and darkness Nathan and Victoria stumble into each other, suffering minor burns in the process. Meanwhile, Reverend Trask is able to extinguish Jeremiah's burning clothes, preventing further injury. The poor fellow has blisters on his face and arms, and is muttering incoherently.

"Laura . . . Laura . . ."

David is uninjured, but seems confused.

"Mother?"
Spoiler:
Temporary inability to use the cure light wounds ability due to Victoria's injury, but Nathan and Victoria's injuries are minor; painful, but not dangerous. Jeremiah, however, needs medical help.

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We must get him to a hospital quickly," says Victoria, doing what she can for Jeremiah. "With modern medicine, he can be healed."

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I shall fetch the horses," says Reverend Trask, hurrying off to get them.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:14 am
by SunlessNick

Nathan crouches down beside David. "Master Collins? It's us. Nathan Forbes and VIctoria Winters. Reverend Trask is here too. We have come to take you home."

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While Miss Winters and Reverend Trask struggle to place the dazed Jeremiah upon a horse, securing him to the saddle so he won't fall off on the way back to the lodge, young David appears to be disoriented.

"I don't get it. Where are we? Where's my mother? I want my mother!"

He needs to be forcibly restrained to keep him from running off to the pile of ashes that remains near the fallen cactus.

Back art the lodge, the staff have already called an ambulance, firefighters, and the police, to report a suspicious fire, the burst of flame clearly visible from the lodge's large windows that offer a scenic view of the desert. The ambulance crew can offer first aid to the injured, and stabilize Jeremiah until they can take him to Phoenix. There isn't much for the firefighters or police to do but ask questions.

"What exactly happened? What caused the fire? From the reports we're getting, it was some kind of high explosive. You have anything to do with that? What were you doing out in the desert at night, anyway?"

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were out in the desert looking for Jeremiah and David Collins," says Victoria. "They had ridden out earlier and had not returned, and we were worried about them, so we went and found them. We didn't start the fire, and I'm not entirely sure how it was caused."

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"She speaks the truth," says Reverend Trask, who has never ceased to marvel at Victoria's ability to say something that is completely true and yet leave out information. While they knew that Laura was responsible for the fire, none of them did truly understand how she had caused it.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:38 am
by SunlessNick

"Mr and Master Collins carried nothing with them that could cause such a fire either," adds Nathan.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The staff of the lodge is able to confirm aspects of these accounts, so the authorities accept their stories, at least for now.

"Any of you want to ride in the ambulance with the burn victim and the kid? The boy's not physically hurt, but he seems pretty shook up. The folks at the hospital should be able to help him calm down. He keeps asking for his mother. Any of yiou know how we can get in contact with this Laura Collins?"

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Laura Collins passed away recently," says Victoria. "David's father Roger Collins is back in Maine. I'm David's governess, and I came here to find David and bring him home. I'll ride with them in the ambulance. It may help David to see a familiar face."

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This is so," says Reverend Trask. "Some people try to contact the dead with a seance, but I would not recommend it. Nothing good ever comes of such things."

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The medics and other emergency workers glance at each other after hearing Reverend Trask's words.

One of them asks "Are you feeling OK, sir? It's been a traumatic experience. Maybe you need a mild tranquilizer."

One of the police officers radios in to headquarters, asking them to check on any record of the death of a Laura Collins. While that's being checked out, they allow Victoria to ride with David to the hospital. He does seem to calm down in her presence.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:27 am
by SunlessNick

"We are fine," Nathan says, glancing at the Reverend. "A morbid jest, that is all. Though I fear Mr Collins may have seriously intended something of the kind."

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am well," says Reverend Trask. "I have no need of such things, thank you. My faith shall see me through."

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Everything's going to be all right," says Victoria. "Your injuries will heal, Jeremiah. Medical science can work all sorts of wonders in this day and age. And you're safe now, David. Your father and aunt miss you and have been worried about you. I'm sure your cousin does too, though she doesn't always show it."

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Carolyn is his cousin, actually. Your post edited to reflect this. Admittedly, the relationship seems more like siblings, living in the same house and all.
At the hospital, Jeremiah is admitted to the burn unit. It looks like he'll need some skin grafts, so he's likely to be here a while. David greatly improves on the way there, and there's no need to admit him.

"I want to go home," are his most common words. It seems a choice must be made whether to stay in Phoenix until Jeremiah has recovered, or go back to Collinwood with David.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to telephone Collinwood and let them know what we told the police," says Victoria. "Roger and Elizabeth can decide if they want David to come home immediately or if they'll allow him to stay until Jeremiah is able to travel. They can speak to him too while we're at it, and they'll need to buy a return ticket for him anyway. I'd like to get him home, but I do worry about leaving Jeremiah here without us."

Oops. :oops: It is a confusing family.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank God for the telephone," says Reverend Trask. "It is much faster than sending letters back and forth. Though there is still something to be said for the art of letter writing. I am glad that art is still alive."

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps one of us can conduct the boy home and return," suggests Nathan. "The journey is far less time consuming than in our day."

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A long distance call to Collinsport draws an excited reaction from the family, particularly the boy's father.

"What the devil was Jeremiah thinking? What exactly happened out there? I know David misses his mother, but this is too much. Get him back here immediately."

It remains to be seen who will accompany the boy.

Meanwhile, arson investigators have checked out the site of the fire. Among the ashes are unmistakable human bones. The police have more questions.

"Who else was there that night? Somebody died in that fire, and I think you know who it was."

It's likely that dental records will soon show that the bones match those of Laura Collins, who had supposedly died in an apartment fire some time ago. Two victims of fire with the same dental records? That's going to be hard to explain.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
ignore -- quoted myself

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll get him home on the next available flight," Victoria tells Roger. "It's hard to say exactly what happened, but we should know more once Jeremiah recovers."

"It was very dark," says Victoria to the police, "so it's hard to say for sure who else was there. Jeremiah probably knows more, as he was closer to the fire, but I don't know if he's in any state to talk. From what I could see, it almost seemed like there was someone's silhouette in the fire. I would rather it had just been my imagination than that someone really died. I know this is going to sound crazy, but what if it was Laura Collins? David came here because he was convinced his mother was somehow still alive. What if she actually was? Maybe she faked her death in the apartment fire, and this time she really died? When she was living in Maine, before she came out to Arizona, she had an unhealthy obsession with fire. It wouldn't surprise me if she started the fire somehow and it got out of hand."

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"At least one of the two of us needs to escort you, Miss Winters," says Reverend Trask after the phone call, "whether you go with David or remain here. But at least one of us should stay with Jeremiah until he recovers and is able to return home."

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I messed this up, but basically I was rolling to see if Victoria has to stay as a material witness, or will be allowed to go back with David to Collinwood.
The District Attorney is informed of Victoria's wild story, and determines that she needs to remain in Phoenix until this thing is cleared up. Since the other two have less to say about the case, they be allowed to determine who will stay with Victoria and who will accompany the minor back to Collinwood.

"But we'll be in touch with the Maine authorities, so don't leave Collinsport."

Meanwhile, the police find out that there are no records at all on either Reverend Trask or Nathan.

"You guys got driver's licenses? Diner's Club cards? Library cards? Anything that can prove you're who you say you are?"

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:40 pm
by SunlessNick

"You should go with the boy, Reverend," suggests Nathan. "A man of the cloth will command trust, and the boy may still need your counsel. I swear no harm shall come to Miss Winters in your absence." (Nathan means to remain with Victoria at all times, in case Laura Collins is still not in fact dead - the one thing everyone knows about phoenixes is that they rise from their ashes).

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Reverend Trask. "I shall bring David back to his family. I'm afraid I have none of those things with me, but Roger Collins and Elizabeth Collins Stoddard can vouch for me if you telephone them. I've been a guest of theirs for some time."

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Take care," says Victoria. "I'll stay in Phoenix until this is over and Jerry recovers, and we can stay in touch by telephone."

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Quite some time passes. The Arizona authorities are frankly baffled by the evidence of two different remains, burnt to fragments of bones and ashes, both of which contain teeth with identical markings and fillings. After much considerations, they decide to label the ones found in Laura Collins' fire-ravaged apartment as truly hers, and the other as unknown, the identical dental remains being chalked up as a million-to-one coincidence. (They don't seem to place much credence in Victoria's hypothesis that the first death was faked.)

Somehow, a reporter for The American Enquirer, a notorious tabloid better known for sensationalism than accuracy, finds out about the case, probably from a connection he has with the police.

ARE ALIENS IMITATING PEOPLE AND DESTROYING THE EVIDENCE WITH RAY GUNS?

What follows this blaring headline -- the question mark helps the paper avoid being sued -- is an article about the incident that manages to suggest all sorts of wild possibilities without stating anything that could be proven wrong. The publicity draws unwanted attention to Victoria and Nathan. The latter, in particular, is going to find it hard to explain why there are no records of his existence. Even more so, in the case of Jeremiah, who, when he is sufficiently recovered from his burns, spins all sorts of wild tales about following a succubus through the ages.

Meanwhile, Reverend Trask and David return to Collinwood without incident. As one might expect, the young boy is reluctant to talk about the incident; his father and aunt dismiss much of what he says anyway. They ask Reverend Trask for a full account of what happened in Arizona.

You both also feel an increasingly strong desire to return to your own time, as if staying here will eventually cause you to wither away into nothing; but how can this be done?

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask explains how they visited the police and found out from them where Jeremiah and David were staying, then went out to the ranch to find them. The two of them had already ridden out on horses and had not returned, so the Reverend, Nathan, and Victoria had hired horses of their own and gone to track them down. When they caught up to them, they found that there was a fire, and that Jeremiah had protected David from harm, though Jeremiah had suffered burns and was still recovering in the hospital.

Reverend Trask realizes that he may need to return to his own time the same way he got to this time in the first place. He consults local records to see if the building where they had met the man with the sticks still stood today, and to find out who had owned it back in his own time. While he is certain that the man is long dead, unless he too had traveled through time, he could still have descendants, and it may be possible to find them by tracing genealogy.

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps it would be best not to discuss certain things in front of others," Victoria tells Jeremiah when they have some privacy. "Just as you guided me when I was a guest in your time, I must now guide you in mine. As for Laura, I'm sorry that she's gone, but you will get over her. You once professed your love for me, and you managed to get over me, didn't you?"

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:47 am

Reverend Trask explains how they visited the police and found out from them where Jeremiah and David were staying, then went out to the ranch to find them. The two of them had already ridden out on horses and had not returned, so the Reverend, Nathan, and Victoria had hired horses of their own and gone to track them down. When they caught up to them, they found that there was a fire, and that Jeremiah had protected David from harm, though Jeremiah had suffered burns and was still recovering in the hospital.

Reverend Trask realizes that he may need to return to his own time the same way he got to this time in the first place. He consults local records to see if the building where they had met the man with the sticks still stood today, and to find out who had owned it back in his own time. While he is certain that the man is long dead, unless he too had traveled through time, he could still have descendants, and it may be possible to find them by tracing genealogy.
This account is accepted by the Collins family, for want of any other explanation, if for no other reason.

Investigation of records held by the Collinsport Historical Society, which are quite extensive for a community of modest size, indicate that the former site of the Oriental man's shack must have been somewhere in what passes for the "downtown" of the city, although the exact location is impossible to ascertain. There appear to be no records of a particular person from the Far East being resident in Collinsport during the late 18th century; such were part of the nearly anonymous folks of many nations who passed through the port without leaving traceable evidence of their presence.

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:50 am
"Perhaps it would be best not to discuss certain things in front of others," Victoria tells Jeremiah when they have some privacy. "Just as you guided me when I was a guest in your time, I must now guide you in mine. As for Laura, I'm sorry that she's gone, but you will get over her. You once professed your love for me, and you managed to get over me, didn't you?"
Jeremiah is agitated by this reminder.

"Yes! Witchcraft! Dark and damnable witchcraft, everywhere I turn! Be gone, servant of Satan, and all your kind!"

Having drawn some attention with this outburst, a physician orders a nurse to administer a tranquilizer.

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry," says Victoria. "I'll leave now, if that's what you want, but I'm here for you. I only want what's best for you. Perhaps Reverend Trask will be able to help once we see him again."

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask seeks out Professor Stokes, who seemed to know something about time travel.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Professor Stokes is almost always ready to welcome visitors to his bachelor quarters, where books are the dominant form of decoration. After welcoming Reverend Trask (and perhaps other guest or guests) and offering sherry, he begins conversation with such usual topics as the weather and its effect on the fishing, shipping, and tourist industries, only gradually making inquiry if his visitor(s) had some particular subject they wished to discuss.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've told you before about whence I came, Professor," says Reverend Trask. "I believe I have accomplished the task for which the Almighty brought me here, and I wish to go home. I also feel I cannot remain here indefinitely, for if I do, I shall eventually cease to be, if that makes sense to you. Yet I do not know how it is that I can return home. I was hoping you might have some ideas."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"From what you have described, it sounds as if the fellow who sent you here made use of the I Ching. I have come across rather obscure texts, poorly translated, which suggest such a possibility. I have never attempted to make use of this supposed effect myself, as it appears to be fraught with hazard. If I understand the texts correctly, one might wind up in another plane of reality altogether; a sort of Parallel Time, if you will. If you are still interested in the possibility of journeying back to your own time, I do possess a very old set of yarrow sticks. Besides the ritual of throwing I Ching, great power of concentration would be required."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I believe Miss Winters referred to the I Ching," says Reverend Trask. "That is one possibility, though perhaps we should wait for Nathan Forbes and Jeremiah Collins to return from Arizona, in case they also wish to return to our time. But how did Miss Winters come to my time in the first place? Perhaps there is another way."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:45 pm
by SunlessNick
Sorry for the absence.

"You seem troubled," says Nathan to Victoria after her visit to the hospital. "I assume you would have said had Mr Collins taken a turn for the worse - has something else occurred?"

[He will also have asked what aliens and ray guns may be, thought he latter may be presumed to be some manner of weapon]

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He's in good health," says Victoria, "but he's upset because he keeps being bewitched into falling in love, first with me and then with Laura. He got angry because I reminded him of how he felt for me. I just feel bad for him and wish I could help him, but it seems that my presence makes it worse. Aliens and ray guns are things you might find in what's called science fiction, which speculates about the future. There are books about it, but also movies and television shows. Aliens are beings from other planets that can be very different than people. They aren't real, or at least I don't think they are. Nobody's ever found one and proven it, anyway. Ray guns are a type of weapon that doesn't exist, at least not yet, but people have imagined them. Instead of shooting a ball or a bullet, a ray gun will shoot heat or light or some other kind of energy."

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:38 pm
"Yes, I believe Miss Winters referred to the I Ching," says Reverend Trask. "That is one possibility, though perhaps we should wait for Nathan Forbes and Jeremiah Collins to return from Arizona, in case they also wish to return to our time. But how did Miss Winters come to my time in the first place? Perhaps there is another way."
Professor Stokes ponders this question for some time, sipping sherry and pacing around the room, stopping now and again to consult a volume for a moment.

"Allow me to propose a hypothetical scenario. Given the fact that Miss Winters arrived at Collinwood before Mrs. Stoddard intended to invite her -- I confess I have an interest in the frequent gossip that surrounds the illustrious Collins family -- I took the liberty of making some discrete inquiries. It seems that a Miss Victoria Winters, according to my sources of information, is still in residence in an orphanage in New York, and knows nothing about the Collins or Collinsport. Was the Miss Victoria Winters who arrived at Collinwood an imposter?

"From what you have told me, I have dismissed this possibility. Rather, I must suggest that the Miss Victoria Winters in New York and the Miss Victoria Winters currently in the Great American Desert existed in parallel times, and exist in the same plane of reality only due to the dislocation in time the latter experienced. As to how this occurred, I can only speculate.

"Given, from what you say, of her disorientation at the time of her arrival in your time, it seems likely that she had participated in some sort of parapsychological ritual; a séance, for example. If she happened to possess psychic abilities herself, perhaps unknown to her, that could have caused a sort of slippage between two parallel times, out of synchronicity with each other, if you see what I mean. She may have been transported from 1967 One to 1795 Two. Do I make myself clear?

"Whether such a procedure could be undertaken to reverse the effect is difficult to determine."

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Jeremiah's body heals reasonably well, but not, according to physicians, does his mind. Perhaps as a result of the trauma of the inferno, he continues to spin wild stories. Having no known relatives or friends, and no means of support, it is thought best to secure him a place in a minimum security mental hospital, to which he does not object.

Whether Miss Winters and Mister Forbes should remain here, to see if he requires any other assistance, or whether they should return to Collinsport, remains to be seen.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"But he does have family," says Victoria. "He is part of the Collins family in Collinsport, Maine, headed by Roger Collins. He'll be much better off with his family around him than among strangers. Please let us take him back to Maine with us."

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think I understand," says Reverend Trask. "I wouldn't have thought Miss Winters would have participated in a ritual to contact the dead, but it makes sense that there would be dire consequences. Look what happened when King Saul tried to call up the spirit of Samuel. Still, there is no one that sinneth not. Miss Winters has otherwise displayed excellent character and judgment, but she did make a mistake there. I would advise against trying to repeat the process. It would also result in returning to a different 1795 than the one I left. I am wary of the I Ching as well, but if it is not used for divination, it should be acceptable."

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am
"But he does have family," says Victoria. "He is part of the Collins family in Collinsport, Maine, headed by Roger Collins. He'll be much better off with his family around him than among strangers. Please let us take him back to Maine with us."
After some investigation by the authorities, this is determined to be true enough, although the family history of the Collins, according to information received from the Collinsport Historical Society, is confusing, the only recorded Jeremiah Collins having died well over a century ago.

Because Jeremiah has ceased to rave, and, if anything, is passively agreeable with the authorities, they agree to allow Victoria and Nathan to take him back to Collinsport as his guardians. He remains sullen and uncommunicative during the journey.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 am

"I think I understand," says Reverend Trask. "I wouldn't have thought Miss Winters would have participated in a ritual to contact the dead, but it makes sense that there would be dire consequences. Look what happened when King Saul tried to call up the spirit of Samuel. Still, there is no one that sinneth not. Miss Winters has otherwise displayed excellent character and judgment, but she did make a mistake there. I would advise against trying to repeat the process. It would also result in returning to a different 1795 than the one I left. I am wary of the I Ching as well, but if it is not used for divination, it should be acceptable."
"Very well. I shall prepare myself by meditating and fasting for a few days. Good day, sir."

While waiting for Professor Stokes to ready himself for the use of the I Ching, Victoria and Nathan return to Collinsport, with a melancholic Jeremiah in their care.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"There may be a way we can return home," says Reverend Trask to Nathan and Jeremiah, telling them what he had learned from Professor Stokes. "If you feel a weight on your soul, Jeremiah, perhaps I can relieve you of the burden, if you will permit it. If you are oppressed by evil spirits, I can drive them away."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's true," says Victoria. "I've seen him do it, and I've helped him with my prayers." When she gets a chance, she seeks out Elizabeth to ask her about her parents now that David has safely returned.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:55 am
by SunlessNick

"I confess returning home will bittersweet one respect," says Nathan. "You have been charming company throughout our many ordeals, Miss Winters. It will be strange to see Collinswood without you." To Reverend Trask, he adds, "Still. I believe we are doomed if we remain, so we must use what means we can, even should they appear sinful."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Victoria. "I've enjoyed our time together too, and I'm sorry that it must end. You can't stay in my time, and I can't stay in yours."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree that we are doomed if we remain here too long," says Reverend Trask. "However, it is important to distinguish between means that appear sinful and means that actually are. That is a line I shall not cross. Even so, we are told to avoid even the appearance of evil. Still, we used the I Ching to come here, and I can accept that we must use it to go back."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 am
"There may be a way we can return home," says Reverend Trask to Nathan and Jeremiah, telling them what he had learned from Professor Stokes. "If you feel a weight on your soul, Jeremiah, perhaps I can relieve you of the burden, if you will permit it. If you are oppressed by evil spirits, I can drive them away."

"Do as you wish," Jeremiah says quietly. "I no longer care."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:34 am

"It's true," says Victoria. "I've seen him do it, and I've helped him with my prayers." When she gets a chance, she seeks out Elizabeth to ask her about her parents now that David has safely returned.
Mrs. Stoddard takes Victoria into the drawing room and closes all the doors and windows. Once she is certain that no one else is listening, she reveals the truth.

With tears in her eyes, she confesses "You are my daughter! I was a young, foolish girl. I gave myself to a worthless man. The scandal would be too much to bear, so I went away, supposedly on a tour of Europe. I left you at the orphanage, hoping to reclaim you at some future date. But marriage followed, the birth of Carolyn, the death of my husband, Roger's separation and returning to Collinwood with David to look after . . . Somehow there never seemed to be the right moment. I was planning to bring you here as David's governess in a few months, and then you showed up! Imagine my shock! Can you forgive me? And is it wicked of me that I still fear the scandal if this were to become known?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:08 am

"Thank you," says Victoria. "I've enjoyed our time together too, and I'm sorry that it must end. You can't stay in my time, and I can't stay in yours."
It may occur to Victoria that remaining poses a possible problem; what of the other Victoria Winters?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Professor Stokes indicates that he is willing to begin the ceremony of I Ching when the others are prepared.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria embraces Elizabeth, her mother, wrapping her arms around her. "I had suspected it might be the case, but I wasn't sure," she says. "Of course I forgive you. I'm so glad I found you, Mother. The other Victoria, the one still in the orphanage, is also me. You told me the truth, and you deserve the same from me. I know this will be hard to believe, but I think you know me well enough to know that I can't lie, and that I'm not mad. I'm not from quite the same reality as this one. It's very similar, but certain things are different. Where I originally was, it's several months later, and I'd been working here as David's governess when I had participated in a seance. Somehow, I found myself in Collinsport in 1795, where I also worked as a governess for young Sarah Collins. After many ordeals, I found a way to return to 1967 through use of the I Ching, but it's not quite the same as the one I left. I arrived somewhat earlier than I had left, for one thing, and I had also changed history, so other things were different from what I remember. I can prove it too. Before I left, you gave me a book of the history of the Collins family, and it has your signature on it. The history is also somewhat different from what you'll remember because of the changes. I'd like to try to find a way to return to the 1967 which I left if I can. If I'm successful, I can be with the you that's there, and you can still bring the other Victoria here when you planned to do it."

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am ready when you are," Reverend Trask says to Nathan and Jeremiah. "We should bid farewell to Miss Winters first, and the others from this time. It would not do to simply disappear without a word."

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:29 am
by SunlessNick

"Indeed," says Nathan drily. "After recent months, I believe a simple disappearance should doom her to a lifetime of fruitless investigation into our fates."

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Nathan and Reverend Trask will find Miss Winters in residence at the mansion at Collinwood, where Mrs. Stoddard has withdrawn to her room. She frequently receives visits from the other members of the family, as well as Miss Winters, all of whom want to assure that she is well. They report that she appears to have received some strange news, and yet often seems quite happy.

Mrs. Stoddard doesn't quite know what to think about your bizarre story, but all that really matters to her is that the truth is now known to you. During one of your visits, she asks your advice. "Should we tell the others? Roger, David, Carolyn . . . your half-sister! I don't know how they'll react."

"Some emotional crisis," Roger Collins explains. "I don't quite know what's gotten into my sister. Perhaps it's a delayed reaction to my son's little . . . adventure, shall we say? She's always been quite close to the boy. In any case, I'm glad things have settled down to as normal as they get around here. I understand you gentleman will be taking your leave soon. Thank you for all you've done, and drop in any time you're in the neighborhood."

Professor Stokes is found dressed in Oriental style. "Not really necessary, but you must forgive my weakness for theatricality." He tosses the I Ching sticks while chanting in a foreign tongue.
Spoiler:
2d6
"I believe you will return to your own time. Any changes in reality should be minimal. Now concentrate! Close your eyes and pass through the Gate!"

The two men find themselves just outside of Collinsport, at a distance that would be no more than a brisk walk. The weather is colder than one might expect, as if there has been a change of season.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria says farewell to Nathan Forbes and Reverend Trask, thanking them for all their help and wishing them the best.

"I think we should," says Victoria. "We are a family. We're meant to be together."

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask bids Victoria Godspeed.

"We may not have returned precisely when we left," says Reverend Trask. "Some time may have passed...or we may be early. This looks like home, however. Is Jeremiah with us? Shall we head inside?"

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan kisses Miss Winters's hand in farewell.

"Not the most salubrious of conditions. But it may be presumed we have not crossed quite the same measure of time as when we came. It would be well to take Mr Collins inside, and... We never discovered what became of Miss DuPres - we should find out if she is still here."

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
As this has now split into two timelines -- and if you think my plots are insanely convoluted, you should watch the original Dark Shadows sometime -- let us proceed in such fashion to a pair of new threads.