Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, his name is David Collins," says Victoria. "He's Laura Collins's son." She fills in the detective about what she had told the woman who had answered the phone.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 am
Once the modest payment is made, the man hands Josette a pipe similar to his own, and a wooden box containing a small supply of the black, tarry substance with which it is to be filled. He bows his head, indicating that the transaction has been completed.

"Good day, Miss. Pleasant dreams."
Sensing the dismissal, Josette takes her leave, saying only that she may return to see whether the man has heard anything of the others. Once back at the house, in her room, she tries to smoke a pinch of the substance.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm

"Yes, his name is David Collins," says Victoria. "He's Laura Collins's son." She fills in the detective about what she had told the woman who had answered the phone.
With little enthusiasm, Detective McGarvey, says, "OK. I'll check with the Collinsport PD, and have all the bus and railroad stations alerted, as well as the airport. 'Course, that won't be much help if what's-his-name, Jeremiah, is comin' by car. What's his relation to the kid, anyway? Relative? If the boy went with the guy of his own free will, there ain't much we can do. Only natural he'd wanna his last respects to his mom, poor kid. Not that there was much left of her, if you'll pardon the bluntness. Maybe this Jeremiah character wants to make the final arrangements. Anything else we can do for you, Miss?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Upon taking the first puff, Josette is immediately transported -- in spirit, if not in flesh -- to the ice caverns of the Great Khan. The air is chill, with a breeze of uncertain origin hissing through the cave. Echoing through the cavern is the distant, high-pitched wailing of a woman, expressive of unsatisfied desire. A river, upon which float floes of ice, makes its way lazily into the darkness beyond this region, which is dimly lit with a few weakly smoldering tapers. The wind carries the smoke from these fires into the unseen areas of the cavern. There are no inhabitants to be seen.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Detective, you've been very helpful," says Victoria. "Jeremiah Collins - he goes by Jerry - is a distant cousin of David. He was in love with Laura Collins once, so he's probably heading out to Phoenix too. I don't know if they're together, but it would make sense. The only thing is, neither of them said anything before they left, and David's father and aunt are worried. Based on what we found where Jerry was staying, he took a train from Collinsport to New York. He also had this phone number on a scrap of paper where he was staying, so he may have called your office for information. In David's room, we found a map where he drew a line in black crayon from Collinsport to New York City and in red from New York City to Arizona."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"If he were taking a car, surely he could procure it here," says Nathan. "The only reason to detour to New York City would be to secure a means of travel he cannot find here. Since he drew in two colours, one may assume a different one from that which he used to get there. You are most likely correct that he means to use one of these aeroplanes."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am
Upon taking the first puff, Josette is immediately transported -- in spirit, if not in flesh -- to the ice caverns of the Great Khan. The air is chill, with a breeze of uncertain origin hissing through the cave. Echoing through the cavern is the distant, high-pitched wailing of a woman, expressive of unsatisfied desire. A river, upon which float floes of ice, makes its way lazily into the darkness beyond this region, which is dimly lit with a few weakly smoldering tapers. The wind carries the smoke from these fires into the unseen areas of the cavern. There are no inhabitants to be seen.
Josette goes in search of the crying woman, to offer comfort. Though she is somewhat frightened at the changed state of the cavern.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A couple of days go by. A methodical man, Detective McGarvey calls back, to report that nobody matching the description of Jeremiah or David has arrived in Phoenix. Meanwhile, Mrs. Stoddard returns from new York City. Immediately upon arrival, she requests a private audience with Miss Winters.

"I've been to the Hammond Foundling Home. My intention was to discover why you arrived here, when I had not yet contacted the home requesting that you serve as David's governess. Imagine my shock when I discovered that the real Victoria Winters was still in residence there, working for the home! I admit that you could be identical twins, and I don't pretend to understand all this, but I believe I deserve some answers. Who are you, really? What do you want? Do you know anything about David's disappearance?" Although she is obviously attempting to control herself, Mrs. Stoddard is clearly quite upset.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Following the wailing sound leads Josette deep into the winding caves. There, in a damp alcove, barely lit by a single bare candle, sits a woman, her face in her hands, weeping. Her clothing is obviously of fine silk, richly decorated, but worn and tattered. She does not notice Josette's approach.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am
Following the wailing sound leads Josette deep into the winding caves. There, in a damp alcove, barely lit by a single bare candle, sits a woman, her face in her hands, weeping. Her clothing is obviously of fine silk, richly decorated, but worn and tattered. She does not notice Josette's approach.
"What ails you?" asks Josette. "Perhaps I can be of aid to you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am in fact the real Victoria Winters," says Victoria. "So is the girl living at the Hammond Foundling Home, though she is a little younger than me. Why there are two of us will take some explanation, but I can prove that I am she. Ask me anything that Victoria Winters would know, and I will answer. I know all about the Hammond Foundling Home, having grown up there. However, I do not know who my parents are, though you clearly do. I hope you will share that information with me, as I will freely answer your own questions. All I know about David's disappearance is what my friends and I have discovered in our own investigation. I only want to help him, and you." She fills on Elizabeth on their discoveries about David and Jeremiah's disappearance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The woman rises, her eyes open wide and red from weeping, and grasps Josette by the shoulders, her fingers digging deep into her flesh.

"Where is he? Have you seen him? Oh, where is my thrice-damned lover, who sends my soul to a Hell that is sweeter than paradise? How long have I been wailing for him? It seems like many days and many nights, although there is neither day nor night here!"

She laughs hysterically for a moment, her face twisted into a grotesque mask, then returns to a state of agitated despair, mixed with rage.

"You have stolen him! Jezebel! You shall not have him!" Her fingers grip Josette's throat, as if intent on murder, then releases her and collapses to the ground, moaning in agony.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mrs. Stoddard does not respond for some time. When she speaks, her voice is flat and emotionless, as if she is trying very hard to hold back her emotions.

"Your story is outlandish, ridiculous, absurd. But there is something so sincere about you. So many strange things have happened at Collinwood. Either there is some truth to what you are saying, or you are simply a lunatic.

"Very well. Let me offer you a bargain. I will pay for a flight to Phoenix for you and those other odd people who arrived from nowhere. Find David, and return him here safely, and I will tell you everything you want to know. I'll think of something to tell Roger and Carolyn. If you do not return . . . perhaps that might be for the best."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have an agreement," says Victoria.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 am
The woman rises, her eyes open wide and red from weeping, and grasps Josette by the shoulders, her fingers digging deep into her flesh.

"Where is he? Have you seen him? Oh, where is my thrice-damned lover, who sends my soul to a Hell that is sweeter than paradise? How long have I been wailing for him? It seems like many days and many nights, although there is neither day nor night here!"

She laughs hysterically for a moment, her face twisted into a grotesque mask, then returns to a state of agitated despair, mixed with rage.

"You have stolen him! Jezebel! You shall not have him!" Her fingers grip Josette's throat, as if intent on murder, then releases her and collapses to the ground, moaning in agony.
"I know not to whom you refer," Josette says, though she keeps a somewhat wary distance from the woman after being released. "I had thought to find many men and women in these caves."

A shameful part of her wonders if Amos could be convinced to try this substance. They could be together in dreams with no risk of impropriety.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Collinwood is notably quieter once the three recent arrivals have departed , "to see the rest of the country," as Mrs. Stoddard explains. The search of young David Collins is kept discreet, for the moment, as this is not the first time he has vanished for a few days, only to return unrepentant and little the worse for wear.

An airplane trip is a new experience for an oddly assorted trio of visitors from the East; two of them more than the other, it seems. With well over three-quarters of a million people, the Phoenix metropolitan area is a far cry from little Collinsport, although not as impressive as New York City or Boston. The heat and low humidity are new experiences as well. Once settled in to this new environment, there remains the question of how to begin this somewhat quixotic quest.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"The demon lover!" the woman cries. "Oh, he burns like the flames of perdition, so sweetly! His embrace causes such exquisite agony! I have wandered time out of mind through these cold, cold caves, wishing only to be enslaved again. Will you not lead me to him? Come, let us search together."

She grabs Josette's hand and tries to pull her deeper into the maze of caverns.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's go look up Detective McGarvey," suggests Victoria. "He's been investigating the case, so he'll know a lot about it. Maybe he's made progress since I spoke to him and will have new information."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A taxicab, modern equivalent of a hired coach, takes the trio to police headquarters. After a considerable length of time spent waiting, they are allowed to meet with Detective McGarvey, a heavyset, balding man, who waves them into chairs that are less than comfortable.

Without prelude, he says "Yeah?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan feels battered by the noise of the city, and glad to get into any building. He agrees with Victoria that speaking to the detective is most likely the best start.

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”