Page 1 of 1

The Ghost Lights

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mister Jennings having no friends or family known to any in Collinsport, the fate of his remains (such as they are, the dogs having been most thorough in their attack) is left to Reverend Trask, as a man well acquainted with such situations.

It may be noted that Nathan and Millicent are keeping company, with poorly disguised disapproval from young Daniel, her brother, who proves to be, as many a person not yet full grown, yet hardly a small child, seems to be, an ever-present distraction from any degree of intimacy possible between the two.
Josette,Barnabas allows you to enter. The Old House proves to be poorly maintained, with only a few half-broken candles about to lessen the gloom of a home where the curtains are always drawn. Barnabas seems pale and thin. Drinking vessels containing dregs of wine scattered about here and there suggest that this has been his main source of nourishment. He avoids looking directly at you when he speaks. "I have destroyed too many lives already," he says. "I would not wish to destroy the one most precious to me."
Victoria,Townsfolk familiar with the area reveal that a body of water lies due south of Hells Bottom Swamp, known as Alamoosook Lake. "Heathen Indian name," one remarks, "not meant to be wrapt 'round a white man's tongue." Beyond that lies woodland, until one reaches Colllinsport and other harbor towns.

Re: The Ghost Lights

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 am
Josette,Barnabas allows you to enter. The Old House proves to be poorly maintained, with only a few half-broken candles about to lessen the gloom of a home where the curtains are always drawn. Barnabas seems pale and thin. Drinking vessels containing dregs of wine scattered about here and there suggest that this has been his main source of nourishment. He avoids looking directly at you when he speaks. "I have destroyed too many lives already," he says. "I would not wish to destroy the one most precious to me."
Vicki,Josette replies,"I know you had come to care for Angelique, and that you must grieve for her loss. I grieve with you, for I am certain she was not always as she became. I wish you only peace Barnabas - whatever I may do to help you achieve it, you have only to ask."

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 pm
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

Perhaps surprisingly, Nathan makes no attempt to evade Daniel, but speaks politely to him and offers him involvement in whatever activities he and Millicent are engaged in. For her part, Millicent also welcomes her dear brother's presence.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:51 pm
by SunlessNick

When not engaged with Barnabas, Josette is concerned about these stories of lights. Collinsport has been much afflicted with the unnatural of late, and while the thought is unwelcome, it occurs to her that Angelique - as a witch and a suicide - may not lie as quiet as a soul ought. She approaches both Victoria and the Reverend Trask with these worries, though both will see that she is somewhat hoping to see them dismissed.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

Josette finds Reverend Trask and Victoria together, for the reverend has come to see her with the book in his hand. Before he can raise the subject of it, Josette speaks. "I share your concern," says Reverend Trask. "I did hear what might have been her laughing. She could still cause damage as an evil spirit. The sighting of the will-o'-the-wisp could possibly have to do with her. I'm also concerned about the remains of Jennings and what to do with them. Miss Collins suggested that they be buried on consecrated ground. I was reluctant, as he was a werewolf and a murderer. He was trying to fight his beastly nature, and she was trying to help him keep from harming anyone. Unfortunately, those efforts were unsuccessful. However, you raise a good point. Burying his remains on consecrated ground may ensure he rests in peace."

"I think that's a good idea," says Victoria. "The witnesses to the light saw it moving south. There's a lake due south of the swamp called Alamoosook Lake, which is an Indian name. Past that to the south are woods and then Collinsport."

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Young Daniel, being somewhat appeased by the courtesies extended by Nathan, and genuinely fond, if precociously protective, of his sister, exhibits enjoyment of their innocent amusements together.

"Let us journey through the woods where the lights were seen. It should prove most instructive. Do not fret, dear Millicent; if there be any savages thereabouts, I shall ward them off." (There are, of course, no natives of the region, save perhaps a few here and there in reduced condition, still residing in the vicinity, having fallen victim to European maladies unknown to them, or driven westward by the settlement of the area.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The interment of Mister Jennings' remains occurs without incident, in an obscure, but consecrated corner of Eagle Hill Cemetery, the same burial ground wherein the Collins family mausoleum, relatively new of construction and, as of yet, unoccupied, is located. There are few mourners save those directly involved in the unhappy circumstances of the man's demise, and the curious.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Josette,Barnabas finally meets your gaze directly. In a pleading tone, he confesses "I fear myself driven mad by the grievous circumstances that have befallen Collinsport. Each night, when I have struggled to find peace -- each night, when the only path to slumber is by spirits and laudanum -- I hear her mocking laughter. Angelique! Will you never cease tormenting me for my sin against you! Oh, Josette, do not allow my corruption to afflict you as well!"

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 pm
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

"An excellent idea, Master Collins," says Nathan. "Two warriors and an angel should be sufficient to banish anything that may threaten us."

Millicent wishes they wouldn't talk like that, but is pleased at the sight of them getting on so well. And there is a certain thrill to expedition.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm
by SunlessNick
Vicki,"[color=#FFBF80]There is not corruption enough in this world to make me hate you, Barnabas, but if my presence pains you I shall remove myself. But I will never abandon you - the tie between our hearts is too strong for it.[/color]
"If I can help, I shall," says Josette to the Reverend and Victoria. "I fear Barnabas will not rest easy until there is no more chance of harm coming at Angelique's hands. She was my maid for so long. I will never understand what could have driven her to such malice."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
An expedition to the wild country to the north of Collinsport is undertaken by the trio. There are paths here and there through the woods, made use of by hunters in search of deer and such valuable game. It is thought best to wear clothing such as may bear the ravages of an outdoor excursion without excessive wear, plain garments and sturdy boots being best suited to such a journey, as it may be necessary to dismount from horseback at times and proceed on foot.

The three adventurers set on in high spirits, the day being fine and their senses stimulated by the sights and sounds and scents of the flora and fauna inhabiting the forest. One may catch sight of a timid hare, a shy fox, or a wary owl. As the ground becomes wetter, transforming woodland to marsh, signs of the work of beavers, Nature's architects, are found.

In one such place, where it has been found necessary to dismount, a pale green glowing light, such as described by the merchants, appears at some distance away, where damp marsh yields to wetter swamp. Catching sight of it, young Daniel rushes after it, heedless of the condition of his clothes and of the hazards of the environs.

__________________________________________________________________________________

At Collinwood, much concern is raised by the sudden and inexplicable illness of Andre DuPres, who has become unable to speak or write, able only to express himself through gestures. Physicians are unable to determine a cause for these strange symptoms. He appears to grow worse at night, becoming entirely immobile. During daylight hours, he is able to move about and even mutter a word or two.

"Ils appelent . . ."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

"Is this your book, Miss Winters?" asks Reverend Trask, showing it to Victoria, who looks startled.

"Where did you find it?" she asks.

"In the Collins family crypt. Apparently Ben Stokes stole it from you. I saw a note inside it from Elizabeth Collins Stoddard to you, wherein she makes it a gift to you."

"Yes, that's right."

Reverend Trask returns the book to her. "Who is she?"

"She's the woman I worked for before I came here, as governess to her young nephew, David."

"The book is oddly constructed, and the illustrations are incredibly detailed. Where did she come by such a marvel?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well, she must have thought very highly of you, to give you such a wonderful gift."

"Thank you. Before we investigate the lights further, I would like to see what I can do for Andre DuPres."

When she gets a chance, Victoria goes to help Andre DuPres as best she can.
Victoria, Using Cure Light Wounds.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:39 pm
by SunlessNick

"Qui appelent?" asks Josette.

When Victoria comes, Josette shares this news, telling her it means "'They call.' But who calls? Is this the doing of these lights? Or am I being foolish - there have been so many unnatural happenings, perhaps I am overkeen to imagine more."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:45 pm
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

"Daniel, wait!" Millicent cries as he runs off. "Nathan, please we must go after him!"

Nathan is torn for a moment as to whether he should proceed without Millicent, in case there is danger, but he cannot leave her along either. "Stay beside me," he says, emphasising the point by disregarding propriety enough to take her hand. "Do not leave my side for any reason."

"I shan't," Millicent promises.

The pair run off after Daniel.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
To an unconcerned observer, the sight of boy and light might suggest a peculiar game of follow-my-leader. The glowing, green, insubstantial sphere wanders this way and that at a height just above Daniel's head, causing him to leap into the air in multiple failed attempts to grasp it. In this manner, the strange phenomenon leads the lad deeper and deeper into a maze of ancient trees standing in the tea-colored waters of Hells Bottom Swamp. At a certain moment, the sphere appears to land upon the water, although this does not produce the ripples one would expect. Perceiving what seems to be an opportunity to seize his prey, Daniel leaps after it, only to fall into a particularly deep part of the swamp, which closes over his head. The sphere vanishes, and Daniel does not reappear.

_________________________________________________________________________________

At Collinwood, Andre's condition renders him unable to provide any further elucidation as to his enigmatic statement. Miss Winters' ministrations do not seem to avail his affliction to any degree, suggesting that it is other than strictly physical in nature. More alarming is the fact that the Countess DuPres has fallen victim to the selfsame malady. Unable to communicate in any other fashion, she feebly offers the onlookers a card from the deck she so often consults.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

"Medicine will not cure this illness," says Reverend Trask. "Perhaps prayer can be of more assistance." Victoria joins him in his prayer for the healing of the DuPres.
OOC, The image doesn't appear for me. I edited my post above. I'd forgotten that [b]David[/b] was [b]Elizabeth[/b]'s nephew, not her son.
Victoria, [b]Reverend Trask[/b] will use Exorcism.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:36 am
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

"Daniel!" screams Millicent.

As the pursuers reach the water, Nathan takes an instant to scan the surface to see if it's clear enough to spot the boy. Regardless, they can see where he stood on dry land, and thus the closest safe ground to where he went under. "Stay here," he tells Millicent when they reach it, before plunging into the water in an attempt to reach Daniel and pull him to safety.
OOC,I don't know what Nathan's Perversity is, but one would assume it is above the level where he could benefit from Inspiration of the Virtuous - however, Millicent would unhesitatingly spend her Grace point for the sake of her brother. I'm not sure what I have to roll against, but assuming it'll be at least one roll to find him and one to pull him out: 1D20: 4. 1D20: 19, rerolled because of Grace Point, 2.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:41 am
by SunlessNick

Josette adds her prayers to those of Victoria and the Reverend.
OOC,If there is a roll, she will spend her Grace point for a reroll if necessary.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
For those unable to see the image, it is of the Tarot card Justice, inverted.

Millicent has spent a Faith point.
No doubt it is with a storm of mixed emotions that Millicent witnesses the peril facing her brother, and the heroic action of Nathan in rescuing him from it. Terror, anxiety, hope, admiration, and joy; a heady mixture to experience in so short a space of time. As Nathan carries the boy back to dry land, both of them sodden and filthy, it seems likely she will recall the prediction offered by the Countess DuPres; might the cards have spoken of true remorse and redemption on the part of the former naval officer? Does not Scripture have it that there shall be joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth?

Of more immediate concern is the condition of young Daniel. He does not appear to bear any injuries of body nor, indeed, the agitation of mind that one would expect in such a situation. Rather he exhibits a strange calm, speaking softly, in the manner of one granted a rare vision.

"Do you not hearken to their call? Such sweet voices."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
Attempt to resist the Exorcism spell, with two Faith point rerolls if needed. 1d20 = 6. No need for Josette or Victoria to spend Faith.
It would appear that spiritual healing succeeds where physical did not. Andre and the Countess recover from their mysterious ailments, with no memory of what may have so afflicted them. Upon witnessing the figure of Justice Inverted which she selected from the pack of divination cards whilst incommunicado, the Countess herself does not know the exact reason she chose it.

"The goddess of Justice, reversed; she becomes Revenge, does she not?"

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
ImageImage

"No good will come of those cards, Countess," says Reverend Trask. "God in His mercy has granted you healing, and that is not a gift to be taken lightly. You would do well not to use the cards any more and obey His commandment prohibiting divination. They open a door through which evil can enter."

"I was thinking Injustice would be the opposite of Justice," says Victoria, "but Revenge would fit too as a twisted version of it. Could Angelique be seeking it from beyond the grave?"

"That is possible."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:02 am
by SunlessNick

Josette shivers at the Victoria's dark suggestion. "What can we do?"

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have already healed those who were sickened," says Reverend Trask. "Evil spirits can be banished in by the same means, through prayer. Perhaps those lights are manifestations of such things. If they are, then if I can locate them, they can be driven away."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 am
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

"Oh, Nathan, you were so brave!" exclaims Millicent. "Poor Daniel..."
Vicki,She remembers the prediction that there would be danger, but "he" would protect her. She wonders now if it was danger to another and protection from loss.
"You honour me, MIllicent," says Nathan, "but I do not believe we are out of danger yet. We must get your brother back to Collinswood and safety." He sets off immediately, still carrying the boy.
Vicki,He is more than aware of how he could turn this to his advantage, but he is also not indifferent to endangered child - sometimes base and noble motives do align.
Should Daniel protest at being removed from the area, Nathan will invoke chivalry and fidelity: "Your sister is cold, and tired and afraid for you. We must look to her good first."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to Reverend Trask's admonition, the Countess DuPres, who is the very model of a bas bleu, considering herself to hold advanced ideas, dismisses the idea of abandoning cartomancy.

"You have your wisdom, mon prêtre, and I have mine."

After such misadventures as have befallen the DuPres and Daniel, it is something of a relief to enjoy some few days without further mishap. Andre DuPres, apparently fully recovered in both mind and body, is engaged in establishing trade in Collinsport, having decided that, all things considered, the cold and harsh weather of New England, despite its challenges, is preferable to the warm and gentle climate of Martinique, as long as the prosperity of that island depends on the practice of slavery, for which he has developed a strong distaste. During excursions into the village, he has often noticed the wan and pale figure of Barnabas, at a distance, standing upon the edge of Widow's Hill, gazing into the roaring sea. An unhappy consequence of recent events is that Sarah Collins, who has been forbidden to call upon her beloved brother, he being considered by the elder members of the family to be a bad influence upon a young soul, has fallen into a melancholy state, unbefitting her tender years.

The glowing spheres of light no longer haunt Hells Bottom Swamp, and instead, if report be credited, have appeared above the middle of Alamoosook Lake, a considerable body of water, so that the curious have been unable to approach them closely on foot.
More disturbing is the fact that the body of a man -- a sailor, judging by his apparel -- was found at the base of Widow's Hill. The damage done to flesh by the fall from that high precipice upon sharp rocks, and the pounding action of the waves, have made exact identification difficult, and whether foul play be involved.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria tries to comfort Sarah as best she can, trying to cheer her up and lighten her spirits. "Perhaps I can take messages back and forth between you and your brother," she suggests.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask goes to examine the body and the scene where it was found in the hopes of finding out who he was and what caused his death.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan enquires of Millicent as to Daniel's condition after his adventure, but otherwise leaves brother and sister to the privacy they no doubt desire.

He joins the Reverend in the unhappy task of examining the dead man. "I am inclined to think foul play. A sailor from town would have little call to come to Widows Hill, making misadventure unlikely. And even if we consider the possibility of self-destruction, there must sureky have been other means closer to home. We should enquire if someone has been missed."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 pm
by SunlessNick

Millicent remains with Daniel, tending him. Knowing his dislike of the Lieutennant, she tries not to gush too avidly, but does tell him that it was Nathan who rescued him from the pool.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette aches to go to Barnabas when she sees him in his plight upon the Hill, but it seems her presence is but pain to him for now. With the decision of her father to remain in Collinsport, she decides it is time she learn to comport herself as resident, not a guest. While her faith does not entirely align with that of the townsfolk, she becomes a regular fixture at church services.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm
Victoria tries to comfort Sarah as best she can, trying to cheer her up and lighten her spirits. "Perhaps I can take messages back and forth between you and your brother," she suggests.
"Oh, would you, dear Miss Winters? I would be ever so grateful. I shall attend to my lessons dutifully."

True to her word, Sarah sacrifices time spent in play to the pursuit of perfection in figuring and literacy. Having thus demonstrated the seriousness of her intent, she is then seen laboring over quill and paper, having such trouble as the very young oft do, so that the resulting composition is punctuated, as it were, with ink blots. Folding the sheet multiple times, she hands it to Victoria, with the shy request that she convey it to her brother at a convenient time.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Two may perceive what one does not. Together, Trask and Forbes are able to recognize the dead man as one of the two sailors whose aid they enlisted in the attempt to rescue survivors of the wreck of the Lydia. Upon making inquiry at the harbor, they discover that the other, with whom the dead man oft shared strong drink, has not been seen in Collinsport for some time.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 pm

Millicent remains with Daniel, tending him. Knowing his dislike of the Lieutennant, she tries not to gush too avidly, but does tell him that it was Nathan who rescued him from the pool.
"Then may he go to the Devil," Daniel replies, in an uncommonly blasphemous mood. "I shall never know such happiness again. Indeed, it already fades from memory, as if no more than a dream."

Further inquiry does not yield any more information regarding this curious claim, merely vague allusions to exquisite beauty and a feeling of comfort.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

When she gets a free moment, Victoria brings Sarah's message to Barnabas.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This is looking more and more like the work of Angelique's spirit," Reverend Trask says to Nathan Forbes. "I don't believe for a moment that this is a coincidence. We must try to find out what happened to the other sailor, though it may be too late for him. We can ask which of the ships he may have left on, if he did. Barnabas is likely in danger as well, as are the two of us. We were all present at the witch's death."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:53 am
by SunlessNick

"I was not threatened by those lights, if that is significant. I assume you heard the news of young Daniel's misadventure. There would have been opportunity to do the same to me."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:55 am
by SunlessNick

"Daniel, you must not speak so! You nearly drowned. Whatever you felt could not have been worth your life."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 am
by SunlessNick

When it becomes known that the sailor is one of those who rescued Barnabas from the sea, Josette beseeches her parents to allow her to pay for a funeral for him.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:54 pm

When she gets a free moment, Victoria brings Sarah's message to Barnabas.
The note being conveyed to the Old House in such manner, the recipient peruses it with great concentration, his countenance altering its expression from one of melancholy, then astonishment, and finally eagerness. He rises from his chair, tosses the paper upon the floor, where he joins many empty vials and bottles, as well as the remains of hastily prepared meals, incompletely consumed, and hurries to the front door.

"Thank you," he says, rushing outside, without extending the common courtesy of escorting his visitor to the door.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:58 pm

"This is looking more and more like the work of Angelique's spirit," Reverend Trask says to Nathan Forbes. "I don't believe for a moment that this is a coincidence. We must try to find out what happened to the other sailor, though it may be too late for him. We can ask which of the ships he may have left on, if he did. Barnabas is likely in danger as well, as are the two of us. We were all present at the witch's death."
Further inquiry yields the information that the fellow had not joined the crew of any vessel, but had instead been engaged in recent days in the process of constructing a small, crude boat, of a type certainly not seaworthy. Once the hand-hewn craft was completed, he was no longer seen or heard from.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:55 am
"Daniel, you must not speak so! You nearly drowned. Whatever you felt could not have been worth your life."
Despite being admonished in such gentle fashion, Daniel remains sullen and churlish, often removing himself from his sister's company. He speaks no more of the dangerous incident, but merely responds to all conversation in the fashion of the ancient Spartans, as if words came at a heavy cost.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 am

When it becomes known that the sailor is one of those who rescued Barnabas from the sea, Josette beseeches her parents to allow her to pay for a funeral for him.
Monsieur DuPres is entirely willing to arrange for the ceremony to be paid from his not insubstantial resources. The funeral draws both the pious and the curious, so that the church is crowded in such fashion that more stand than sit. Notable by his absence is young Daniel Collins, who could not be persuaded to attend, and who was punished by his elders for his insolence by being directed to remain in his room, without forms of amusement, for the rest of the day. When the mourners return to Collinwood, they discover that he has been disobedient, and is not to be found within the mansion.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Victoria, following Barnabas. "Would you like me take a reply back to your sister? I'll gladly wait for you to write it."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the lights are not to do with Angelique," says Reverend Trask to Nathan Forbes, "but are something else entirely. There were more than one light, which suggests multiple entities. This does bear further investigation. Shall we go and examine the lights?"

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:57 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:43 pm "Shall we go and examine the lights?"
"In their present position on the lake, we will need a boat to reach them, though that should not be too hard to arrange, or else I could show you the place Daniel Collins was led to... the second missing man was building a boat too, and one not fit for the sea.
OOC,Is the boat the sailor was building gone as well?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 am
by SunlessNick

At the revelation of the missing Daniel, Millicent cries "He will have gone in search of those terrible lights again!" before the swoon takes her.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:03 am
by SunlessNick

In response to Millicent's pronouncement, Josette proposes two search parties - one to the place where Daniel went into the water, though in the absence of Lieutennant Forbes, Millicent will have to lead them there when she recovers - and the other to the lake where the lights are seen now. She will volunteer to go with the latter, since a woman may reach a child in a way that a man might not.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

If he has heard that Daniel has gone missing, Reverend Trask will want to see where he was led first.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 pm
"You're welcome," says Victoria, following Barnabas. "Would you like me take a reply back to your sister? I'll gladly wait for you to write it."
Barnabas has rushed out of the door in such a hurry that he made no reply whatsoever to this inquiry.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
News of the missing child having reached their ears with great speed, the various persons involved hurry to the place in Hells Bottom Swamp where he was last seen. Indeed, several more volunteers accompany the party, searching the area with the aid of hounds and torches, crying out the boy's name in loud voices. Not a few of them lose their way and must be called for themselves. After some time spent in this pursuit, it soon becomes clear that, if the lad be present, he is hiding himself with uncommon skill.

Back at the harbor, it becomes clear that the small craft manufactured by the sailor is nowhere to be found, having apparently gone off with its maker. There is a similar boat available for hire, built by a fisherman who thought to procure game from bodies of fresh water; a hope that was not realized, and thus the craft abandoned. Its virtue is that it is easily transported over land; its disadvantage that it holds, at most, two passengers.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 pm
by SunlessNick

"We should make for the lake, then," says Nathan. "If Reverend Trask and I make haste on foot, we may still be able to get there before Daniel." He turns to two of the men from Millicent's party. "If you men would be willing to transport the hire-boat from the harbour to the lake, we can then make a closer examination of where the lights have been seen." He leaves it unsaid that they might also find body of their colleague.

Millicent knows she could not keep up with the two men - at least not at the pace she would wish them to travel - and wishes them Godspeed.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette had already suggested a second party to the lake, whether or not they allowed her to accompany them.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria picks up the piece of paper and hurries outside after Barnabas.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then let us make haste," says Reverend Trask to Nathan Forbes.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 pm
Josette had already suggested a second party to the lake, whether or not they allowed her to accompany them.
Josette,You may follow if you wish, and choose whether or not to do so surreptitiously or openly, as far as the party of men is concerned.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 am

Victoria picks up the piece of paper and hurries outside after Barnabas.
Barnabas appears to be heading in the direction of Widow's Hill; certainly this is not the first time he has done so of late.
Victoria,You may choose whether or not to read the note.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Alamoosook Lake is a roughly oval body of water, measuring about two miles in length north and south, and about a mile east and west. Given the ins and outs that shape the coast of the lake, a journey completely around it might require a walk of some nine miles or so.

Once the party arrives, they are able to perceive a small craft in the center of the lake. From such a distance, it cannot be easily determined who is inside it, although the witnesses may have their suspicions. Directly above the boat, at a considerable height, hovers one of the mysterious lights.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan reasons that it must either be Daniel or the other sailor, but he does not know the latter's name. "Daniel! Come back to shore!" he yells. As soon as the other men arrive with the second boat, he will put to water.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:00 pm
by SunlessNick
Vicki,Jostte follows her own search party, which presumably encounters the Reverend's at the lake.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:01 pm
by SunlessNick

For lack of any other way to help, Millicent makes her way back to Collinswood to wait for news (and deliver the news that Daniel was not found at the marsh).

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria runs to catch up to Barnabas, not wanting to waste the time it would take to read the note, which would be an invasion of privacy anyway. She remembers when Josette nearly leapt from Widow's Walk under Angelique's influence, and she is concerned that Barnabas may intend to do the same. Then it occurs to her that the reading the note may have been what has influenced Barnabas.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask volunteers to be the second man in the boat when it arrives.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is no response from the boat in the center of the lake.

As Trask and Forbes row toward it, they experience a powerful current pulling them in that direction, in defiance of all of Nature's laws, in that there should not be such a phenomenon encountered in a body of water which is of no great depth, and whose source and outlet are both gently flowing streams. As they draw near, they perceive Daniel and the sailor, seemingly engaged in angling, their lines dropped in the water and being pulled into their craft now and then with a prize.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

At a point not far from Widow's Hill, Victoria comes upon Barnabas and Sarah. The former kneels upon the ground, that he may embrace his sister, which is obviously done with great affection. They engage in conversation, the exact content of which is not detectable from a distance, but, from the state of their countenances, is evidently productive of strong emotion.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 am
by SunlessNick

"I confess this is not the scene I was expecting," says Nathan.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 am
by SunlessNick

Josette makes herself known to the searchers at the lake - with her presence a fait accompli, she sees no reason to maintain a deception.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria stands back to give the siblings some space and privacy, sighing with relief. She is glad that they are having a joyous reunion.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is a rather pleasant surprise," says Reverend Trask. "Let us row closer and speak to them."

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At Widow's Hill, Victoria witnesses brother and sister walk together in the direction of the New House. Upon reaching the great front door, Sarah opens it with great caution, gazing within in all directions, as if to determine if anyone is present. Once this is accomplished, she gestures for Barnabas to follow her within. He does so, after an exchange of what seems to be intense conversation.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
At the lake, as Trask and Forbes drawn closer to the other vessel, they observe that what the pair of anglers has caught does not resemble familiar members of the finny tribe. They are rather creatures of various unknown kinds, some equipped with limbs, such as no fish bears, others covered with thick hair, a trait equally absent among their kind. It is also evident, from the wriggling of these specimens, that they are still among the living.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria remains outside, not wanting to interrupt them.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask doesn't know what is going on here, but he is certain that it is wicked. He begins to pray fervently.
Victoria, Using Exorcism.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
resisting the spell off line die roll 13
Reverend Trask's prayers appear to cause a sort of agitation among the creatures within the boat, followed by a chaotic exodus, as they leap into the water on irregular numbers of twisted limbs. As each strikes the surface of the lake, a hissing sound emerges, as when a powerful acid comes in contact with a substance subject to its powers. In reaction to this, Daniel and the sailor each seize an oar and begin rowing rapidly, sending the craft toward the opposite shore in a twisting manner, given the difference in strength between the two, which requires much adjustment of their course.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:55 am
by SunlessNick

Nathan sets to following them, assuming the Reverend will do likewise. There will be time to ask questions when they are back on dry land.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:56 am
by SunlessNick

Josette tries to follow what is happening on the lake as best she can.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask readily agrees, already thinking along the same lines, and helps Nathan Forbes row.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's have a battle of sheer rowing strength. You'll have the advantage, with two average STR of 9, the sailor and Daniel with 9 and 6 (due to youth); so, 18 vs 15 on two rolls of 2d20 combined: 4 + 14 = 18; 1 + 5 = 6; well, that wasn't what I expected.
Due to having a head start, and perhaps also because of some desperate desire to escape their pursuers, Daniel and the sailor reach the opposite shore a brief time before Trask and Forbes. They abandon their boat and race off into the damp woodlands north of the lake.

From her vantage point, located upon a slight rise (a rare position in this otherwise swampy region), Josette is able to observe the pair scurrying through the trees at a pace which is only slightly reduced by the challenges of the rough land.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We must follow them," says Reverend Trask.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The intrepid pair set out after the absconding two. The going is not easy for either pursued or pursuer, given the damp ground and tangle of undergrowth between the trees. The advantage of the landscape is that tracking the fleeing duo is not a difficult matter, due to the way in which any journeyer must leave mark upon the land and foliage.

After some time spent following Daniel and the sailor, Trask and Forbes encounter an unwelcome visitor.
Spoiler:
DEX battles for an animal (15) vs Trask and Forbes (both 9) 3d20: 14, 19, 1
A timber rattlesnake, that venomous creature of the New England wilderness, strikes at Reverend Trask with its poisonous fangs, whilst Nathan Forbes is able to dodge the creature entirely.
Spoiler:
CON roll to avoid effects of the venom, = 9 1d20: 7 good luck
Fortunately, the serpent is only able to sink its venom-dripping teeth into Trask's boot, avoiding the great harm it might have caused otherwise. Evidentially enraged beyond the natural disposition of such a viper, which normally avoids Man with as great a passion as Man avoids it, it shakes its rattles furiously and prepares to strike again.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Shoot it!" calls Reverend Trask, drawing his silver dagger to strike at the snake in the event that Nathan Forbes misses. He is sure that this particular beast is a tool of the devil. It is no coincidence that the father of lies took the form of a serpent.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I'll shoot for Forbes, giving him + 3 for military experience = 12 Dex 1d20: 15 And for Trask's dagger DEX = 9 1d20: 6
Perhaps because footing is difficult in this marshy region, Forbes is unable to take proper aim at the creature, and the bullet flies harmlessly into the swamp. The sound of the pistol sends many birds soaring into the sky from their hiding places in the trees. More accurate is the thrust of Trask's dagger.
Spoiler:
1d6 damage = 1, which is actually enough to kill it, but since it's minimal I'll give it one last chance to strike back.
The blade strikes the creature, sending it into a frenzied death struggle against its slayer.
Spoiler:
dex = 15 1d20: 10 Another roll against your CON = 9 to avoid the poison: 1d20 = 6
Its fang brush against Trask's glove, failing to pierce the skin. The serpent lies still on the watery ground. As if Nature has some means of communication unknown to mankind, there soon arrives a vulture, who displays an interest in the corpse, and warily nears the two men, while remaining at a safe distance.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 pm
by SunlessNick

Assuming the vulture only evidences interest in the snake, Nathan is inclined to leave it to its meal and continue the pursuit of the other pair.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette endeavours to rally the other watchers to join in the the pursuit of the sailor and the boy.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you," quotes Reverend Trask as he cleans off his dagger and sheathes it, giving the dead snake a wide berth and allowing the vulture its meal. "That was no ordinary snake. The enemy sent it to try to strike me down, but the Good Lord protected me. Let us continue on our way."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Hastening to join in the pursuit, those attending upon Mademoiselle DuPres rush along the shore of the lake, attempting to cut off the flight of those attempting to escape.
Spoiler:
Let's see how many there are; say, 2d4: 4, 1 = 5
Five brave men make their way forward ion the chase, followed at some distance by the aforementioned lady, who suffers the handicap of female garments.
Spoiler:
DEX rolls for all 6, Josette last, all have DEX 9: 6d20 = 6, 15, 20, 17, 5, 17. Gosh, not good.
The path they take proves to be a most unfortunate one, as the treacherous earth unleashes that foul danger known by the all-too-descriptive name of quicksand. Three of the men fall into the deadly substance. Their two comrades, standing upon safer ground, struggle to free them from the fatal pools, to which their fellows have fallen victim. This delays by some time their pursuit.

More worrisome is the fact that Josette, weighed down by the heavier clothing which is proper to the female sex, has, at some distance behind the men, succumbed to the same hazard.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, at quite some distance ahead, Trask and Forbes finally overcome man and boy. (It seems likely that so young a lad was unable to maintain as steady a pace as desired.) There, leaning upon an vast, ancient tree, the two breath heavily, with apparent exhaustion. They evince no awareness of those who draw near them, seeming not only fatigued, but dazed.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:23 am
by SunlessNick

"Are you all right?" Nathan asks the man and boy. "You have led us quite a chase."

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 am
by SunlessNick

Josette begins screaming, but manages not to panic at the sudden danger. Still calling for help, she reaches around her, trying to find a handhold on firmer ground.
Vicki,If the dice say I die, go with it. (Though you said I could continue as a ghost if so?)

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why did you flee?" asks Reverend Trask. "We are here to help you."

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Torn between rescuing their comrades and rushing to the aid of a lady in distress, the two men who were able to avoid the quicksand have no choice but to perform the former, those being closer at hand.
Spoiler:
STR to get the men out, no more than two at a time. Based on an average STR of 9: 2d20 = 7, 11 One out, so three can work to get the last one out 3D20: 1, 18, 14. One more out, so 4d20: 16, 16, 8, 14. Wow, barely did it.
Struggling mightily, one by one the men are drawn out of the foul pool of death, although this has taken much effort and no little time. Meanwhile, the selfsame hazard seeks to devour another victim.
Spoiler:
Took three die rolls to get everybody out, so let's see if Josette can keep afloat for three die rolls. DEX of 9, need to make it 3 times. 3d20: 2, 9, 3 I'll count the 9 as a bare success.
Rushing to the aid of the unfortunate young woman, the men arrive just in the nick of time to pull her from the muck, at the moment it begins to close over her head.
Spoiler:
Just for fun, let's see if all five fail a STR roll. Not likely, but with interesting consequences. 5d20 = 20, 16, 20, 7, 9. That was close!
It appears that one heroic figure alone was able to effect the salvation of not only his fellows, but of the distressed lady. This man, who exhibits not only greater vitality, but finer features, than the others, holds Josette tenderly in his arms, as he awaits for her to waken from her insensate condition.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At a calmer, but perhaps no less disturbing, location, Trask and Forbes discover than the sailor and the boy make no response to their inquiries. They are able to be led back from whence they came, and otherwise display no resistance; but neither do they evince signs of volition.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:16 am
by SunlessNick

Presumably the man sets Josette back on her feet when she wakens. "Thankyou good sir, I owe you my life, she says to him, rewarding him with a chaste kiss on the cheek (and hoping he cannot sense her heart flutter as she feels the strength in his arms). "Thankyou to you all. I am humbly sorry that I so rashly impelled you into danger."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 am
by SunlessNick

As long as Daniel and the sailor are willing to go where they are led, Nathan refrains from subjecting them to further questions for now. He takes them around the lake shore to rejoin the rest of the group.

"Have you ever seen men affected thus?" he asks Reverend Trask. "I have sometimes seen such a thing in the aftermath of battle, but this cannot be that."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have seen nothing like that personally," says Reverend Trask, "but I have heard tell of things. You may not be far off, in that they may have fought - and lost - an internal battle. I suspect that they had been victims of some form of possession, from which my prayers would have set them free. I imagine such an experience would be very traumatic."

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The presence of a deep blush upon the manly features of her rescuer may strike Josette as incongruous, but who can tell what sensitive emotions may lay hidden under a burly exterior? Be that as it may, the fellow evinces much reticence, denying that his service was anything other than that any of his comrades would have offered. He rejoins them as all make their weary way back to Collinsport, and the sound of friendly jibing at the man's heroic efforts may be heard from them.

Back at the village, once all have refreshed themselves from such exhaustive efforts, it becomes clear that Daniel, once in a recovered state of mind, has no memory of his peculiar odyssey, save for a vague notion that he was drawn to the place by those seeking rest, the exact identity of whom he is unable to recall.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:32 am
by SunlessNick

Josette tries to prevent her eyes straying to her rescuer during the walk back, for fear of further embarassing him. All the same, she wonders whether she might contrive a way for their paths to cross again.

Back in Collinsport, Nathan endeavours to learn if the similarly bewitched sailor has any more memory of the events than Daniel. Should there be someone willing to convey a message to the House, he will also send word that Daniel has been found unharmed.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria greets the returning party, seeing if anyone is injured and needs treatment.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask accompanies Nathan Forbes to seek the sailor and see what he can recall.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At the Collinwood mansion, a maidservant discovers a curious object left just outside the front door. It proves to be an example of that artform peculiar to New England seaports, known as scrimshaw. Upon a sizable piece of a whale's tusk, an anonymous artist has engraved the image of a mermaid combing her hair. For what purpose this was placed there, or by whom, remain unknown.

Miss Winters is kept busy performing such ministrations as are required to restore Mademoiselle DuPres' peace of mind, to the extent that is possible, while also continuing to tutor young Sarah in such matters as are appropriate to her age, sex, and station. The girl evinces an interest in Boston, inquiring if Miss Winters has ever been there, and if the journey to that famed city is a lengthy and difficult one.

Discovered the ensorcelled sailor at the Eagle, consuming what is quite an amount of ale, even for one of his profession. The fellow is lost in thought, but does not object to conversation. (Nature possessing a sense of irony, it turns out that the man's name is Jack Tarr.)

"Hope I don't wind up down in Davy Jones' locker," he mutters at one point. "Dry land's the only proper place for burial."

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've not been to Boston before," says Victoria to Sarah. "It would take some time to get there by land, but it would be faster by sea. Neither route is without risk. Why do you ask?"

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite right, Mr. Tarr," says Reverend Trask. "I wonder, why did you go out on the lake in a boat?"

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 am
"I've not been to Boston before," says Victoria to Sarah. "It would take some time to get there by land, but it would be faster by sea. Neither route is without risk. Why do you ask?"
"Oh, no reason at all, mere curiosity. I suppose passage by sea would be quite dear, would it not?"

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 am

"Quite right, Mr. Tarr," says Reverend Trask. "I wonder, why did you go out on the lake in a boat?"
With a shudder, Tarr replies "Don't rightly know, 'cept there's those as are restless below. Forgot all else. Hope to forget more." He swallows a large draught of ale, and sinks into unconsciousness.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I hope the restless ones below were put to rest by my prayers," says Reverend Trask. "This may have something to do with the lights, but I'm not sure what."

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It would have some cost, yes," says Victoria. "Of course, your family certainly has wealth. If you did wish to visit Boston...out of curiosity, perhaps they could be persuaded to let you go if you were properly escorted. I could accompany you as well, if you wished. I'm sure it would be very educational."

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 pm
"I hope the restless ones below were put to rest by my prayers," says Reverend Trask. "This may have something to do with the lights, but I'm not sure what."
There being little point to continuing to interview one who is, as they say, dead to the world, the fellow's questioners withdraw.

Some time later, there come reports from the harbor that the curious phenomenon known to seafaring men as Saint Elmo's Fire appears with some regularity upon the masts of the ships at anchor. Most extraordinary is the fact that this does not occur during thunderstorms, as one would expect from common experience, but during clear weather. Sailors being a superstitious lot, there has been much grumbling and refusal to board vessels that are thought to be cursed.

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 pm

"It would have some cost, yes," says Victoria. "Of course, your family certainly has wealth. If you did wish to visit Boston...out of curiosity, perhaps they could be persuaded to let you go if you were properly escorted. I could accompany you as well, if you wished. I'm sure it would be very educational."
"Oh, I should not think to put you to such trouble, Miss Winters. 'Tis merely the idle chatter of a silly girl. Shall we return to our studies?"

Such eagerness for learning has not often been noticed coming from the lass.

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Victoria, though she is sure Sarah's interest in Boston is more than idle. She will have to ask Barnabas about it when she gets a chance.

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask goes to examine and bless the ships, hoping to prove one way or the other whether this is merely a natural phenomenon or if there is something supernatural involved.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:22 pm
'
"Very well," says Victoria, though she is sure Sarah's interest in Boston is more than idle. She will have to ask Barnabas about it when she gets a chance.
This proves to be more difficult than one might imagine, as Barnabas Collins has not been seen for some days, nor have those bold enough to inquire at the Old House received any response to their knocks.

Knowing of the great affection between brother and sister, it is only natural that Miss Winters should, at an auspicious moment, make casual inquiry to her charge as to the wellbeing of her sibling.

"I am certain he is well, and no one need worry about him," the girl replies, with seeming lack of concern.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Reverend Trask goes to examine and bless the ships, hoping to prove one way or the other whether this is merely a natural phenomenon or if there is something supernatural involved.
The blessings of the ships, a ritual not unfamiliar to seafaring men, appears to intensify the phenomenon, with the eerie spectral lights dancing about the rigging as if in a state of agitation. If only the late Doctor Franklin were here to behold such a sight!

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:05 pm
by SunlessNick

Millicent is quite taken with the ivory scrimshaw, wondering the material comes from that unusual horned whale known as the narwhal. If no one else desires to take possession of it, she will keep it as an ornament.

Otherwise, she remains solicitous in her tending of her Daniel, and grateful to Nathan for saving him a second time.

Nathan for his part laughs off the praise, as Daniel turned out to be safe enough when he was found. However, he willing to take Millicent out on walks around the grounds whenever she needs time away from her brother.

Josette is thankful to Victoria for her care, and full of talk about the heroic sailor who rescued her - and several of his fellows as well - from the quicksand. Victoria will no doubt be pleased at how her spirits have lifted since the dark days of Angelieque's machinations.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Has he gone on a journey?" asks Victoria to Sarah. "Perhaps he has gone to Boston."

Victoria is pleased that Josette is happier. She had been hoping that Josette and Barnabas would end up together, but she realizes that Josette may want to seek her own happiness with someone else and is happy for her. She hopes that Barnabas is happy too, wherever he may be.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"The St. Elmo's Fire definitely appears to be supernatural in nature," pronounces Reverend Trask, "but it appears to be positive. Otherwise the blessing would not have intesified it. Still, I shall pray to make certain that the ships are free of any evil."
Victoria, Using Exorcism on the ships.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The inhabitants of the New House discover an anonymous note, written in an inelegant hand, left in the same place as the scrimshaw.

Lady, hope gift was not presumtus

In response to Miss Winter's statement concerning her brother, Sarah makes no reply, but appears engaged in her schoolwork.

At the harbor, the captains of the affected vessels report a feeling of increased well-being after Reverend Trask's ceremony. However, the common sailors, noting that Saint Elmo's Fire (if such it be) still roils restlessly upon the masts, refuse to come aboard. A crisis in the shipping industry threatens.
Spoiler:
Very busy so just a brief visit.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am The inhabitants of the New House discover an anonymous note, written in an inelegant hand, left in the same place as the scrimshaw.

Lady, hope gift was not presumtus
ImageImageImage

Millicent frowns at this, as it implies the scrimshaw was meant for someone in particular. She asks Nathan's advice about what to do, and between them they reason that it might have been from the sailor to Josette, given events during the search and that the writer of the note seemed to regard the recipient of a higher status than themselves.

Millicent seeks Josette out and gives her the figure, saying that it must rightfully be hers.

A grateful Josette is also taken with the figure. While she thinks it may not be entirely proper, she leaves a note under a stone in the same place, saying that the gift was delightful and that she was touched to receive it.

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria continues to teach Sarah, not sure how to get her to open up about her plans.

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask seeks out Nathan Forbes, as he is a nautical man, to enlist his aid in convincing the sailors that it's safe to board the ships.

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time passes, another object is discovered in the selfsame location. It consists of two short pieces of slender rope, each tied in a loose overhand knot, the pair intertwined in such a way that, were one to pull them taut, they would become inseparable.

At the harbor, word spreads that Trask and Forbes wish to demonstrate the safety of boarding and operating the affected ships. After some discussion, it appears that the most practical example at hand would be the Lark, a small packet boat bound for Boston with mail and such light cargo. The captain, a young man of no great experience with his first command, anxious to demonstrate his abilities, is ready to accept anyone aboard who wishes to serve as crew; the number of such needed not being very great.

Word having in some manner reached young Sarah of this situation -- an apt demonstration of the ancient adage regarding small jugs and wide ears -- she shyly makes inquiry of her governess.

"Do you think it would be very wicked for one to ask to be borne upon that boat?"

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette ponders how to respond to this new gesture, she seeks out her aunt for advice. "I assume you have heard the talk of the mermaid figure that was left here. At first Millicent took possession of it, but when the note followed it, she came to believe that it was left for me, by the man who rescued me from the quicksand - true to her nature she passed it on to me immediately. I shared her opinion, and left a reply to say that I was touched by the gesture, which is no more than the truth. Now this has arrived." She shows the countess the knotted strings, and shows her what may be done with them. "I do not know whether to regard it as a profession of friendship or something more. And..." - she blushes slightly as she continues - "when I consider if it may be the latter, I find my heart quickening. Despite our difference in station, he is a brave and fine man. I do not know what I should do."

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan is of course willing to take part in the Reverend's experiment, though he confesses to Millicent that days spend away from her will weigh heavy.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"It would only be wicked if you went aboard without getting your father's permission to go," says Victoria. "It does no harm to ask him. I can accompany you to help persuade him, and I can go with you aboard the boat to look after you."

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask is pleased to go on a trip to Boston aboard the Lark, and he helps Nathan to recruit willing crew.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Josette ponders how to respond to this new gesture, she seeks out her aunt for advice. "I assume you have heard the talk of the mermaid figure that was left here. At first Millicent took possession of it, but when the note followed it, she came to believe that it was left for me, by the man who rescued me from the quicksand - true to her nature she passed it on to me immediately. I shared her opinion, and left a reply to say that I was touched by the gesture, which is no more than the truth. Now this has arrived." She shows the countess the knotted strings, and shows her what may be done with them. "I do not know whether to regard it as a profession of friendship or something more. And..." - she blushes slightly as she continues - "when I consider if it may be the latter, I find my heart quickening. Despite our difference in station, he is a brave and fine man. I do not know what I should do."
Spoiler:
For clarity, note that the Countess is actually Josette's aunt; her mother is deceased. I have edited your post to reflect this.
"I am pleased that you have come to me with the concerns of your heart, my child," the Countess tells Josette. "Ah, l'amour! When I think of the old days, when your late uncle and I were young, before we had to flee Paris or lose our heads! I am afraid that golden time is lost forever.

"Forgive me. We were discussing the little love gifts left for you." She examines the strings. "Yes, the lover's knot, symbol of two hearts bonded together for eternity. A bold gesture, yet the bearer dare not approach you.

"Let us ask the cards." She shuffles the Tarot deck, selecting a pair to place side by side on the table. "The Page of Wands for the man, I think, and the Queen of Pentacles for you. Let us see what the future holds.

Closing her eyes, she pulls two cards out at random and places them next to the others, face down.

"Shall we hope for the Lovers, my child?" she asks with a smile. She reveals the first card.

"The Two of Cups. A good sign. It symbolizes a strong bond between two persons." She reveals the other.

"The Three of Swords. That is not so gentle a card, I am afraid. There will be conflict and sorrow, involving three persons and a broken heart.

"Be brave, my child. The cards warn us and guide us, but it is we who make our future."

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In conference with Joshua Collins, that gentleman agrees that a brief ocean voyage, never far from shore, would be of great value to his young daughter. Naomi Collins is not persuaded of the wisdom of this decision, and expresses much distress at having her child taken away from her, even for a short period of time. Naturally, the opinion of the patriarch takes precedence, and Naomi seeks solace in the form of sherry.

The presence of females aboard the Lark causes nearly as much reluctance to board her among the seafaring men as does the curious presence of Saint Elmo's fire on her masts. This being the case, after much effort, the only sailors willing to come aboard are a few very young persons, of little experience, ready to accept any position offered to them.

With fair weather, and allowing for stops here and there along the coast to receive and deposit mail and other light goods, it is expected that the voyage from Collinsport to Boston should require about a week's time. Passengers should expect minimal accommodation, and should carry such items as will be thought to be required on their persons.

The first day of the voyage is unremarkable, and the modest distance from Collinsport to Rockland is traversed over a calm sea. The continuing presence of the pale glowing lights draws much comment. Of lesser import, perhaps, but of some concern to Miss Winters, is the remarkable skill displayed by young Sarah in disappearing from sight for several minutes at a time, and returning from unsuspected hiding places aboard the Lark.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria ends up playing an impromptu game of hide and go seek with Sarah, trying to keep a close eye on her and trying to figure out where she is hiding when she disappears.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask spend much of the journey in prayer and making sure that nothing supernatural disturbs the voyage.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The next leg of the languid voyage of the Lark carries the vessel to the the village of Portland (recently rechristened thus, after having been known as Falmouth before that community was destroyed by the Royal Navy during the recent War of Independence.) An obscuring fog renders visibility nearly nonexistent, and the inexperienced crew must needs rely upon a signal light, barely detectable in the heavy mist, to guide them into port.

Whilst the risky entry into Portland harbor proceeds, Miss Winters seeks the hiding place of young Sarah.
Spoiler:
still haven't figured out the new dice system, so 2d20, based on INT 9 and WIS 10: 16, 17
This proves to be of more difficulty than one might expect, the cramped interior of the Lark, as well as the jumble of mail and other such small cargo therein, creating, if one will allow, a sort of seagoing labyrinth, containing many passages through which only a person of small size may pass.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Unable to fit in the small spaces, Victoria realizes that she cannot find Sarah and has no choice but to wait for her to reappear.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask remains on deck observing the approach to Portland harbor, praying that the fog will clear and keeping his eyes open for any hazards.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The inexperienced crew approach the harbor light with great caution; handsomely, as seafaring men say. All would seem well, until, with a sudden impact that sends all aboard falling to the deck, the Lark crashes into an unsuspected obstacle. The gleeful shouting of men alerts their unlucky victims to the truth; the vessel has been misled in its approach by a false light, and the Lark is about to be boarded by wreckers, those vile predators of the coastline, who lure ships to their doom that they may avail themselves of their cargo, at the cost of the lives of their passengers.

Amongst the chaos, one high-pitched voice rises above the others, that of young Sarah.

"Help! Barnabas! Miss Winters! Save me!"

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm coming, Sarah!" calls Victoria, racing toward the sound of her voice. "Keep calling out so I can find you!"

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following the anguished cries of the girl, while struggling to stay on her feet as the Lark sways madly back and forth, the sound of cracking timbers filling the mist-haunted air, Victoria discovers Sarah cowering in a corner of the hold, behind a barrel of drinking water, shivering. Upon seeing her governess, she runs to her and embraces her with more fear than affection.

"Barnabas! Where is Barnabas?"

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know," says Victoria, hugging Sarah back. "I didn't even know he was aboard until you called out for him. We'll find him together. Where was he hiding?"

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Prepare to repel boarders!" shouts Reverend Trask. "Arm yourselves." He relies on Nathan's naval experience and leadership to organize the sailors.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm
"I don't know," says Victoria, hugging Sarah back. "I didn't even know he was aboard until you called out for him. We'll find him together. Where was he hiding?"
Spoiler:
Die roll for Sarah's WIS; still don't have that tab here when I quote (or just reply): 1d20: 1
"I . . . I recall now," the child says, having been calmed somewhat by the presence of her beloved governess. Taking Miss Winter's hand in her own tiny one, she leads her down into the deepest and darkest corner of the ship's hold, which, due to the vessel's impact with the rocks, is now half-full of seawater. There, his head barely out of the water, lies Barnabas, trapped beneath a fallen timber. He reaches out his hand for help. Sarah gasps in fear.
Spoiler:
Let's see if she faints, since she's probably a True Innocent. CHA must be 12 or so. 1d20: 20. That'll do it.
Seeing her brother in such a desperate condition, the poor girl drops into the water, insensate.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:26 pm

"Prepare to repel boarders!" shouts Reverend Trask. "Arm yourselves." He relies on Nathan's naval experience and leadership to organize the sailors.
Spoiler:
Let's see how many wreckers and how many sailors. Highway come in packs of 2-8, so 2d4 for both I guess, wreckers first: 2d4 twice: 2, 4 = 6 wreckers; 3,4 sailors = 7. All wreckers armed; let's see how many sailors are armed, 2d4 again: 4,4 = 8. Odds in your favor (actually ten defenders, with Trask and Forbes.)

The wreckers approach, each man equipped with either pistol or cutlass.
Spoiler:
Let's see how many of each weapon. 1d7 (I can do this online) for number of pistols = 6, therefore one with cutlass.
Same for your armaments (I'll assume Forbes is armed, but Trask normally goes unarmed, so 9 weapons among the 8 sailors, although you might pick up a weapon if you like.) 1d9 for number of pistols = 8, so one fellow has both pistol and cutlass.
Seeing that they outnumber the invaders both in numbers and weaponry, although only by a small margin, the sailors prepare to defend their vessel.

"Surrender 'er and be off with ye," one of the wreckers yells. "Or fight and be slain, or drown as yer ship goes down to Davey Jones."

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Help!" calls Victoria, pulling Sarah out of the water and trying to use smelling salts to revive her. Then she tries to help Barnabas.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask has his silver dagger, but he will also grab a spare weapon if one is available. "We have passengers!" he calls. "Give us time to get them safely to shore!"

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:11 am
"Help!" calls Victoria, pulling Sarah out of the water and trying to use smelling salts to revive her. Then she tries to help Barnabas.
The sailor who held both pistol and cutlass displays a temperament more sensitive to the distress of females than his fellows, perhaps, as he places both weapons near Reverend Trask, suspecting that even a man of the cloth, in dire circumstances, may have need of such, while he rushes down in the cargo hold, which is rapidly filling up with seawater. Comprehending the situation at once, he aids Miss Winters and the newly roused Sarah in pulling Barnabas from the water, assisting all three in reaching the deck. The situation may be, as the ancient adage has it, merely a movement from the frying pan into the fire, given the impending release of the dogs of war.

"I might carry the little one to shore," the sailor says, his low whisper barely audible over the shouts of the invaders, "tho' 'tis but a chancy thing. Or else I'll stay and fight as best I may, as you wish, miss."

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
One of the wreckers, possibly the leader of the vile crew, considers the offer, glancing at those emerging from the hold.

"Tell ya what I'll do, churchman," he says with a grin. "Send that pretty doxy of yours over here to keep company with my boys, and we'll let ya go. We'll find a use for her, won't we, lads?"

There are lusty cheers and rude comments from the others.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"We will do nothing of the sort, you wicked men!" shouts Reverend Trask, taking up the pistol and giving the cutlass back to the sailor when he emerges from the hold. "You sons of Belial are on your way to hell! Unless you repent quickly, we shall send you there forthwith! There are more of us than there are of you, and we have the Lord on our side!"

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it's too risky to take her to shore," says Victoria. "Our best chance is to fight and win, and that's a better chance if you're fighting alongside us. If Barnabas and I arm ourselves, even if it's just with a belaying pin, our chances are better still. Even Sarah should have something to defend herself, though she should stay out of the fight if possible. I'll stay with her to help protect her."

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Time for a big battle! Since, by coincidence, there is only one cutlass on each side, we'll start with a one-on-one sword fight, a la Errol Flynn. The heroic sailor vs the leader of the wreckers, both dex 9, in that order: 2d20 Both succeed in wounding the other; let' see how bad.2d20 Ignore that; wrong dice! Try again:2d6
Emboldened by the arrogant nature of the wrecker commander, and the insult he renders to womanhood, the sailor who rescued the innocents from the wrath of the sea leaps forward to confront the fellow. Their blades clash with the angry sound of metal against metal. Each combatant score a glancing blow against the other, doing little save to enflame their mutual hatred.

Meanwhile, those armed with less personal, albeit less reliable, weapons, join in battle.
Spoiler:
5 pistols for the wreckers, 10 for the defenders (with Forbes' own.) Dex of 9 all around, and we'll presume the pl;ayers get the lowest rolls. Wreckers fire first, then defenders. 15d2015d20 1 damage for the wreckers, five for the defenders 6d6:6d6
As fate would have it, one of the wreckers proves to be a deadly shot, his bullet penetrating the eye of a sailor and sending him lifeless to the deck. Not to be outdone, both Nathan and Reverend Trask strike at the invaders with force nearly as fatal, their shots each striking a wrecker in the chest. The men fall into the sea, and are unlikely to return. Three of the sailors also wound their enemies, but not in so severe a fashion, one such being, as they say with some exaggeration, a mere scratch.

This carnage is sufficient to drive the wreckers back, deserting their leader for the relative safety of the shore. That selfsame fellow and his opponent, blinded by blood lust, continue their individual duel, heedless of what is happening around them.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask reloads his pistol, in case it is needed.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria tries to do what she can for the sailor that was shot, though it may be too late.

Using Cure Light Wounds, if it's not too late.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The tender ministrations of Miss Winters fail to restore life to the fallen man, whose wounds prove mortal indeed.

The frenzied swordplay of the two opponents continues apace.
Spoiler:
sailor first, wrecker second dex 92d20 sailor hits, damage1d6
His rage enflamed by the demise of his comrade, the sailor slashes at his enemy's sword-arm, nearly severing it in his bloodlust. The wrecker and his weapon collapse to the deck, no longer a threat. Casting his own cutlass aside, as if it will never again serve such a purpose, the sailor rushes to the aid of the passengers.

"The ship is sinking. There is not much time to reach the shore. Can you swim?"

Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Possibly," says Victoria, "but I'd better grab some driftwood just in case. That was very well fought."

Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Someone strong will need to carry young MIss Collins," he says. "We should all grab pieces of wood to help us get ashore."

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This wise strategy being employed, all aboard are able to reach the shore, albeit in an exhausted and thoroughly drenched state. The hand of Hypnos descends upon all, the weakness of the flesh being eternally subject to his command.

Upon awakening, in a dawn that proves to be, most fortunately, a clear one, free from the ravages of wind and rain, the survivors find themselves upon a rocky point of land, without indication of in which direction Portland might lie, the region seeming to be a deserted one, and the wreckers fled to points unknown. The sailors argue amongst themselves as to what action to take, whilst Sarah and Barnabas Collins cling to each other, gazing upon the ruins of the Lark.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can find Portland by following the coastline," says Reverend Trask, "though we must first find out in which direction to follow it. Perhaps if we could find some high ground, we could get a view of our surroundings."

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to need some food and water," says Victoria. "I can help figure out which fruits and berries are safe to eat."

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst Miss Winters and the more land-wise sailors secure sustainment from the wilderness, as if they were the aboriginal inhabitants of the region, Reverend Trask is able to mount a point somewhat more elevated than elsewhere, upon which rise the village of Portland may be seen to the west. Indeed, from such position he is able to discover that Barnabas Collins, seemingly much recovered from his ordeal at sea, is already heading in that direction at a considerable pace, his young sister in his arms, embracing him in such a way as to suggest that she is an accomplice in this escape.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've found the way to Portland," says Reverend Trask, pointing in the right direction. "The Collinses have already started that way and are ahead of us, Barnabas carrying his sister, so we should follow them quickly."

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's go," says Victoria. "I do hope Sarah is all right. At least if he's carrying her, that'll slow him down and let us catch up to them."

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:58 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
dex 9-3 = 6, 9, and 93d20
Despite the extra burden of carrying the child, Barnabas proves to be as sure-footed upon the rough ground as any mountain goat. The same cannot be said for the other survivors of the wreck of the Lark, doubtless due to their exhausted condition; Miss Winters and Reverend Trask stumble here and there, until the Collins are lost to sight. (The surviving sailors, solicitous of the condition of their passengers, have kept pace with the lady and the clergyman, at the cost of allowing the siblings to escape from view.) After no small amount of time on foot, the modest structures making up the village of Portland come into view, promising relief from a serious ordeal, if also offering many hiding places for the absconding brother and sister.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We must make inquiries in Portland," says Reverend Trask. "Surely someone will have seen them."

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They'll also need food and water," says Victoria. "They'll have to get them somewhere."

Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Making inquiry of the various persons about the place, these generally being of the laboring class, it is ascertained that the fugitives made their way into the twisting warrens of the most densely situated part of the village, that being lodgings catering to those with limited means of support.

Meanwhile, the sailors attempt to trade the sweat of their brows for sustenance and passage on some vessel bound for another port. This proves difficult, for, as they soon discover, the selfsame unnatural appearance of Saint Elmo's Fire upon the masts of the ships in the harbor as was witnessed in Collinsport has just now been seen in Portland.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"It appears that the phenomenon has followed us here," says Reverend Trask. "I wonder if it has left Collinsport."

Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go find Barnabas and Sarah first," says Victoria. "We know which part of the village they're in, and we'll need lodging ourselves."

Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
d4
There are two establishments known to accommodate vagrants in this less than respectable part of Portland, both of them associated with taverns offering gin of poor quality to those dependent upon spirits to escape their sorrows. Both are frequented by persons of low reputation, whether penniless innocents or hard criminals. In ironic contrast to their condition, they bear names of high dignity, one known as the General Washington and the other the Archangel. In either place, the presence of a lady (other than one of an ancient profession) or a clergyman (save one who has fallen far into sin) would draw much attention.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could recruit some of the sailors to enter these...establishments on our behalf and find the Collinses," suggests Victoria. "They would fit right in there, and they are looking for work."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"A sensible idea," says Reverend Trask. "I do worry that they will spend the payment on the sinful activities those places provide, but I suppose if they intend to sin, they will not let a lack of funds stop them."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Being persuaded to inquire at the two establishments, primarily out of concern for the innocent and comely young lady making such plea, the seamen make their way into the said places, three to the General Washington and four to the Archangel.
Spoiler:
7 CHA rolls based on 97d20
Two of the better-spoken sailors are able to elicit information from the master of the General Washington while the third displays more interest in the seductive power of gin. To wit, it seems that the extraordinary sight of a man and a girl-child in such place did not go unnoticed. Having procured victuals for themselves, in exchange for hard cash, the pair then removed themselves from the premises, bound for parts unknown.

Meanwhile, although the keeper of the Archangel was ignorant about the Collins siblings, the behavior of one of the sailors therein, apparently involving the affections of an unescorted lady, led to an altercation, currently evident to the human ear, by the sounds of shouted oaths, shattered glass, and falling bodies.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The Collinses will no doubt be heading for Boston," says Victoria. "Sarah expressed an unusual interest in it during her lessons, and the Lark was supposed to go there. But first we must deal with this fight. Let us bring the other sailors with us for protection. You may be able to defuse the argument with your silver tongue, and I can treat anyone who has been injured."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Reverend Trask, "but stay well back, Miss Winters. This is no place for a young lady."

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The clientele of the Archangel being largely unchurched, the admonishments of a clergyman go unnoticed, save for harsh laughter from the slatternly woman who appears to be the object of contention between the most ill-mannered of the sailors and his rival, a fellow whose bare arms and countenance bear many old scars. The two face each other across a chaos of broken bottles and shattered furniture, as other patrons place bets upon the fate of one of the other.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Gentlemen," says Reverend Trask, "cease your fighting. What captain will hire you if you persist in brawling?"

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You have experience commanding sailors," Victoria says to Nathan Forbes. "You should be able to get them in line."

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:52 pm
by SunlessNick
Finally back. I'm sorry.

Drawing on his history as a Naval officer, Nathan snaps "Cease your brawling immediately! Our business here is not to compete over a tavern wench. And you should heed the words of my colleague: captains demand solid, reliable sailors for their vessels, not undisciplined rabble."

Charisma is 11, given the +2 for Libertine - 11 is also what I rolled.

His assumption of authority is doubtless at odds with his bedraggled appearance.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette wants to meet with the sailor who saved her - she presumes it is he who has left the tokens of affection - though she knows they are from very different worlds. He does however seem to be a man superior to the opportunities his station has afforded him. She replaces the knotted cords where they were, pulled together into a loose knot, but not a tight one, which she hopes will demonstrate a willingness to go further, but not too precipitously.

She chooses to go walking on the grounds of the estate close to when it seems he leaves or collects the tokens, remaining out in the open so that he will stand a good chance of seeing her.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Since Nathan's attempt at persuasion was borderline . . .
An unexpected and somewhat disquieting silence fills the formerly noisy establishment, in response to the admonishment of Nathan Forbes, who knows something about commanding men. Perhaps not quite enough, however, because rather than immediately ceasing their quarrel, the two man simply snarl at each other indecisively.

The woman who lies at the heart of the battle -- unlikely Helen, to cause such contention! -- jumps up out of the chair where she was observing the fight, dances a clumsy jig in front of Nathan, and addresses him, to the accompaniment of breath scented with gin.

"Right, then, love. Let he who delays the fun be he who begins it again. All against all, what say you, lads?"

There is raucous cheering at this proposal, and various shouts as witnesses place bets for or against the newcomer. The two quarreling men approach Nathan with fists ready.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Josette wants to meet with the sailor who saved her - she presumes it is he who has left the tokens of affection - though she knows they are from very different worlds. He does however seem to be a man superior to the opportunities his station has afforded him. She replaces the knotted cords where they were, pulled together into a loose knot, but not a tight one, which she hopes will demonstrate a willingness to go further, but not too precipitously.

She chooses to go walking on the grounds of the estate close to when it seems he leaves or collects the tokens, remaining out in the open so that he will stand a good chance of seeing her.
This subtle stratagem produces the desired effect. Josette witnesses the man retrieve the cords, his brow furrowed as he struggles to interpret its message. Looking up, he catches a glimpse of Josette. In a manner combining both boldness and caution, he does not avert his gaze, but meets hers directly, without drawing nearer, much in the manner of a beast caught between wildness and domestication, uncertain whether to flee or approach.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"There is no reason for anyone to fight," says Victoria from the rear, trying to calm them down. "You'll only get yourselves hurt, win or lose, and for what? You gain nothing from it."

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, we are all Americans here," says Reverend Trask. "If we fight each other for no good reason, we only weaken ourselves. A house divided against itself cannot stand. If we fight each other, we only leave ourselves vulnerable to the British, should they decide once again to test our mettle."

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:15 am
by SunlessNick

"Miss Winters, you should leave quickly," says Nathan. "See to her safety, Reverend." (Is it just the two men approaching, or more of the tavern's patrons?).

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:24 am
by SunlessNick

Josette slowly approaches the man, letting him see that he has not affrighted her. "Your gift was beautiful," she begins. "And I had hoped to speak with you again, at a time when danger was not pressing upon us." Gesturing to the knot, she says, "When we met before, it was a... difficult situation, in which you showed strength, valour, and gentleness alike. But I thought it wise that we take the impression of each other in calmer circumstances. Would you be willing to walk with me a while?"

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

If the sailors are not dissuaded, Reverend Trask ushers Victoria outside.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d6Reason and appeal to their (hypothetical) better natures having produced no discernable effect upon the patrons -- indeed, Reverend Trask's remark concerning all being Americans having, if anything, made matters more uneasy, not all persons present being citizens of that new nation -- it is the wisest course for that gentleman and Miss Winters to withdraw.

Content merely to observe the three-way battles, the others in the room merely watch the approaching battle with cries of encouragement to one combatant or another. The two contenders begin the conflict.
Spoiler:
Let's have them both select targets first. Even numbers Nathan, odd the other. OK, one each, although I messed up where the results should be seen. Two DEX rolls, 1st directed at Nathan.2d20
Whether it be due to strong drink, or the chaos of trinary combat, both of the men fail to strike their targets. In fact, because one threw a fist at his opponent while that person was simultaneously aiming at Nathan, they wound up simply flailing at the empty air. The crowd shouts insults at them.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I would be much honored, Miss." During their brief stroll, the fellow says little, confining his remarks to mere expressions of admiration for the gardens at Collinwood. Only after some time is even an exchange of names made, his proving to be Amos Stewart. The excursion is a pleasant one, until it is interrupted by a shrill cry coming from an upper window, proving to be that of Abigail Collins. "Shame! Shame! I'll not have a scarlet woman in my home!"

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:40 pm
by SunlessNick

Sensing that the crowd will not allow him to leave if he tries to follow the others (and, it must be admitted, with both libertine and soldierly natures inflaming his blood), Nathan sees no choice but to participate in the fight forced upon him. He does however aim his initial attack at the other sailor, with whom he has not sailed.

Dexterity 9.

Rolled 1D20: 10

However, the blow goes wide.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette flushes such that she is near the selfsame colour as was referenced in the accusation. Unwilling to resort to a shouted conversation to justify herself, she hurries out of view of the window. Once this is accomplished, she says, "I must apologise for that unpleasantness Mr Stewart. I will endeavour to set Mrs Collins right on the matter, but for now perhaps it is better if you depart. I would welcome seeing you again, if you are willing, however."

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask stands by outside, watching the entrance to make sure that the fight does not spill through the door.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria waits outside until after the fight is over so that she can treat anyone who is hurt, though she hopes it won't be necessary.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The onlookers, seeing that all combatants have failed to provide the desired entertainment, shout remarkably creative and blasphemous insults at them, followed by the hurling of empty pewter mugs and the like. The increased noise has, at last, drawn the attention of the local constabulary, embodied by a single man.

"What's all this?" the officer inquires of Miss Winters and Reverend Trask. He enters the place, blows his whistle, producing a most unmusical screeching noise, and addresses the three men who are clearly involved in an altercation.

"Right, then. You three, with me. You can settle your differences in gaol."

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am at your service, Miss," Amos says softly, before taking his own leave. "You may leave messages for me at the Eagle." You know the Eagle to be a tavern of low reputation, not one where a respectable lady would be found.

Try as you might, there is no way to avoid Abigail's accusations whilst you are in residence at Collinwood. Specifically, she has described the incident, in the blackest possible terms, to her brother Joshua, head of the family. The two of them confront you. It is evident that Abigail will not pay heed to anything you say, but Joshua assumes a neutral tone.

"Well, Miss DuPres, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Standing firm by your side is your aunt, the Countess, while your father has, understandably, absented himself for the moment.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan grumbles a bit, but he cannot truly fault the officer's response, seeing that it was his own merely minutes before.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 pm
by SunlessNick

"The situation is not as it appears," says Josette. "Mr Stewart is the man who saved my life during the rescue of Daniel, together with those of several of his fellows. He is naturally concerned with my welfare, as any man in his position might be, whilst I am naturally grateful. Though it is not his station by birth, his behaviour has been as naught but a gentleman, and I am not ashamed to treat him in such wise."

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Image Image

Victoria and Reverend Trask tell the constable everything that happened and what provoked the fight, and they both go with the constable to the gaol.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At the gaol, the constable elicits statements from both witnesses and the three combatants. As these accounts of the skirmish are not entirely congruent, chiefly due to the mendacious words of the two who first came to blows, both claiming that Forbes started the fight, all three will be required to spend the night in a cell, to face the mayor, who also serves as magistrate and in other offices. The constable also directs Miss Winters and Reverend Trask to secure lodgings for the night and not to leave the village, as their presence will be required at the hearing. This is a matter of some difficulty, as there is no traveler's rest as such in Portland, and one must make inquiry among private homes.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I shall inquire at the church to see if I can stay there," says Reverend Trask. "While there, I can also ask if there is a respectable lady in Portland who can take you in for the night, Miss Winters."

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Reverend Trask," says Victoria.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Be alert, both of you," Nathan says, a somewhat rueful tone lacing his voice.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:19 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The desired lodgings are secured, and the night passes uneventfully.

The next morning, a curious crowd of onlookers crowd the gaol, which also must serve as the place where the mayor/magistrate will hear witnesses. There is, at first, some chaos among the crowd, until it is finally brought to order. Several remarks directed at the mayor indicate that many of the persons herein gathered, perhaps out of some misguided distrust of strangers, are ready to swear that Nathan Forbes started the altercations. Commanding silence, the mayor asks Miss Winters, Reverend Trask, and Nathan Forbes for their initial statements, after which he will hear from others.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:25 pm
by SunlessNick

Nathan sticks to the truth.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria tells the truth as well, emphasizing that Nathan Forbes was trying to stop the fight between the two sailors.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask also tells the truth, confirming the accounts of Victoria and Nathan.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:47 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is sufficient evidence, combined with the reputation of those found habitually at the establishment, for justice to be served. (In this particular instance, this takes the form of a small fine, which is unlikely to be paid soon, if ever.)

Meanwhile, the delay has caused the trail of the refugees to grow cool, presenting a further difficulty in determining the current whereabouts of Barnabas and Sarah; or, indeed, in discovering the reason for their flight from Collinsport.

The phenomenon of the unnatural St. Elmo's Fire continues unabated; so much so, in fact, that the shipping trade is threatened, given the reluctance of seamen to board the affected vessels.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
CHA roll, with bonuses for you.d20

Joshua is persuaded of your innocence, although Abigail remains hostile. In confidence, Joshua admits that his sister is closer in spirit to their Puritan ancestors than the more enlightened attitudes of modern times.

"Nevertheless, It might be wise to remove all doubt by removing yourself from the man's company for a time.

"Might I suggest a trip to Portland? I do not wish to alarm the family, but I have had reports -- mere rumors, to be honest -- that not all is well with Miss Winters and my daughter, and they may be stranded in that village."

It is notable that he does not mention his son.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure they're on their way to Boston," says Victoria. "They must be going by land, but we can get ahead of them if we travel by sea."

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"We will need to hire a boat," says Reverend Trask, "and convince the people here that it is safe to sail - or at least as safe as it ever is. Safer now that the wreckers have been routed. Hopefully most of the sailors that came with us will continue with us."

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 am
by SunlessNick

"Certainly I have no desire to linger here," says Nathan. "Let us see who among our former crew can be induced to come with us."

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am
by SunlessNick
ImageImage

"Of course I will help in any way I can," says Josette, concern for her friend and the child overwhelming other concerns for now.

When Millicent learns of the proposed journey, she will suggest her own presence also - two young ladies can chaperone one another, and she too would like to reassure herself as to the safety of those stranded.

Josette will not risk making trouble for Mr Stewart by overtly seeking him out, but she will let it be put about that she is attempting to secure passage aboard a ship, in the hopes that he might sign on to its crew.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst engaged in the difficult and time-consuming process of recruiting sufficient crew for an expedition to Boston -- the delay due not only to the superstitious regard the sailors have for the continuing unexplained phenomenon of Saint Elmo's Fire during daylight and clear weather, but to a certain resentment felt by many of the seafarers to two of their own subjected to fines, albeit only those unlikely to be paid -- word comes to Portland that a small vessel from Collinsport has arrived, bearing a pair of young ladies as passengers, as well as a small crew.
Spoiler:
3d4
To be precise, eight men of the sea, under the informal command of one Amos Stewart who, although holding no formal title of captain, has managed to assemble said crew, as well as vessel, through sheer force of character. (Surely the fact that the curious phenomenon noted in Portland is no longer reported in Collinsport is also a factor in his success.)

In short, Mademoiselle Dupres and Miss Collins have arrived safely in Portland, with a party of brave men and true, to aid in the search for the absconding siblings. After much conference, the searchers set sail, again without incident, save for the fact that the unnatural Saint Elmo's Fire, as if it were a fellow voyager, leaves Portland and is seen amongst the ships in the harbor of Boston.

Boston! That great city! Home to a score of thousands of souls! Where, in that mighty metropolis, might Barnabas and Sarah Collins be found?

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:46 pm
by SunlessNick

"Is it following us or the Collins siblings?" wonders Nathan. "It is to be hoped that Mr Collins will take himself to the more genteel areas of the city, so as to not expose his young sister to the rougher parts of the city. Not that he showed such consideration in Portland."

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:48 pm
by SunlessNick

Josette speaks often with Mr Stewart during the voyage, though of course she is deferential to his duty as captain. She is curious as to his background, and will share her own if asked.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says Reverend Trask. "Barnabas would need to have brought money in order to be able to afford lodgings there - unless he already knows someone who will take them in."

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, Barnabas does love his sister," says Victoria. "He believes what he's doing is best for her. While there are many people in this great city, someone from outside will still stick out - as will we. Miss Collins, do you know of any branches of the Collins family or friends of the family in Boston?"

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
During an idle moment in calm weather, as the ship pulls into Boston Harbor, Amos Stewart, in a wistful mood, offers something of his origins.

"I once had ambitions for the law. Aye, you'd not think it, but I can read and write and cipher as well as any custom house scrivener. But Man proposes and God disposes, as they say. And what, if I may be so bold as to inquire, brings a fine lady to these rough American shores?"

This simple question, meant no doubt only as friendly conversation, may raise certain unquiet memories.

It is no surprise that Millicent Collins, in light of her virtue and social standing -- and, if one may be so vulgar as to mention it, her considerable wealth -- is well acquainted with persons of quality in Boston. (Mademoiselle Dupres, on the other hand, being, as Scripture has it, a stranger in a strange land.) Statesmen, civic-minded ladies, scholars, clergymen, and princes of industry may all, as one wishes, be approached through introduction by that lady.

Of more immediate concern is the imminent reunion of Miss Collins and Mister Forbes, whose past acquaintance has not always been favorable to either. (For that matter, in times to come, what might Mademoiselle Dupres and Mister Collins say to one another, if they should happen to meet again?)

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm
by SunlessNick

For his part, Nathan is pleased to see Millicent - they had been enjoying some measure of reconciliation in recent weeks - and given the events involving young Daniel, he has some feelings of responsibility toward the boy (no doubt shared by the Reverend). He takes the chance to ask how Daniel is recovering from his ordeal. He compliments both ladies on their initiative in finding their way here.
He is not entirely insincere when it comes to Daniel, though he chiefly welcome's Millicent's presence because of the opportunity to work his way back into her affection away from the presence of her family.

Millicent is relieved to be away from Collinsport for a time. Though Nathan has been at the heart of her best and worst moments in that place, so being with him in Boston is confusing to her feelings. She is happy to make whatever introductions the party should require, of course.
She should know better, but Nathan has done many gallant things since his betrayal, including the rescue of her brother from the pool. Jesus speaks ever of the promise of redemption, and surely she is seeing it here.

Josette is afraid of seeing Barnabas again - she does not fear harm from him, but he seems gripped by strange manias. But perhaps he will be calmed by the new turn her life has taken, and the hope that she can find happiness again.
Amos will no doubt have heard some of the gossip that swirled about town regarding herself and Barnabas. She owes him the truth, especially since they are on the track of that same gentleman. She tells him of her engagement, its breaking, and the machinations of her former maid. "It was the work of some months before my heart began to heal, which I must credit to the steafast friendship of Miss Winters. I am sorry to relate so maudlin a tale, but as you say, God disposes."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where in Boston would new arrivals go, Miss Collins?" asks Reverend Trask. "Particularly those who require charitable aid. Barnabas would not have much money to his name, having been disowned. I could show up offering to help and see if he and Sarah are present."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a great idea!" says Victoria. "I could also volunteer to help out with my nursing skills."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Decision having been made to seek the siblings via local charitable organizations, inquiry is made as to what these may be. These are, for the most part, religious and nationalistic in nature. After some discussion, it seems likely that Barnabas might have sought refuge from the Episcopal Charitable Society of Boston, directed towards deserving persons of English ancestry, rather than, say, The Scots Charitable Society of Boston or the Charitable Irish Society of Boston. Giving Miss Collins' connections amongst the worthies of the city, it would not be difficult for any or all of the party to arrange for an interview with said organization. It remains only to be seen in what manner such an approach shall be made.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 pm
by SunlessNick

"No one would question the intentions of Miss Collins," says Nathan, "so her presence may serve to legitimise that of anyone else. Miss Winters has a responsibility to Sarah, though she is a governess while Barnabas Collins is Sarah's brother - so it may be taken as presumptious of her to make inquiries about them. I have no connection to them, and Miss Du Pres's - and my apologies for speaking indelicately - is not one that lends itself to the appearance of innocent concern. Therefore, I propose that Reverend Trask ask the necessary questions, with Miss Collins serving to introduce him."

"I will of course accompany whomever goes," says Millicent.

Josette shoots Victoria a look which suggests she wishes to speak with her about something.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"A good plan," says Reverend Trask. "We shall do as you say."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I should still accompany you," says Victoria. "You should take the lead in asking questions, but I do have an interest in finding Sarah, who we know is in the company of Barnabas. I can also offer the use of my skills to those in need." When Josette signals her, Victoria goes aside with her to see what she wants.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 pm
by SunlessNick

"It can wait until you return," says Josette. "The conversation may be a lengthy one."

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The necessary arrangements are made for an interview with a lady of moderately advanced years whose generous contributions to the Society, as well as an abundance of leisure time, render her able and willing to respond to inquiries of this nature. Introduced to the visitors in proper fashion, and engaging in idle talk concerning, primarily, the curious meteorological phenomenon currently observed in Boston harbor, whilst offering simple refreshments, she eventually steers the conversation in the direction of more immediately relevant matters.

"I understand you wish to aid us in our charitable efforts," she begins.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, ma'am," says Reverend Trask. "I can lend spiritual aid to those less fortunate, and Miss Winters here has skills as a nurse. I'm also hoping to find someone among those being helped, one Barnabas Collins. He was heading to Boston in the company of his little sister, Sarah." He describes both of them. "They are of English descent and do not have much money, so they may have sought help here. Have you seen any recent arrivals that could fit the description?"

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm young Sarah's governess," says Victoria. "I do hope she's all right."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:35 am
by SunlessNick

"And that they are named Collins is not a coincidence - they are family of mine, so I am naturally concerned for their welfare."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I understand. There are, unfortunately, so many poor souls in need of aid that it is impossible for me to be familiar with each. Perhaps you would care to pay a visit to our hostelry for the indigent?"

Arranges are made for such an excursion. The place is one unlikely to lighten the mood of any who enters therein. Within the dank and nearly lightless rooms of the hostelry are numerous worn blankets cast upon the dirt floor, upon which those fortunate to claim a place may find rest, the luckless doing without. The aroma of stale gruel fills the gloomy interior, along with even less pleasant scents. Given the number of destitute residents -- men, women, children, entire families -- it is a matter of some delicacy to move amongst them, in order to locate the persons for whom one is searching; particularly if it so happens that they do not wish to be found.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Millicent's heart aches for the poor unfortunates, and despite her mission, she cannot help but stop and speak with some of them, and offer what comfort and prayer that she can.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Reverend Trask circulates among those in need, praying with and for them as he looks for the Collins siblings and makes inquiries about them.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria helps the sick and injured with her healing talents while she also looks and asks around.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
3d20

All three of those engaged in charitable activities are easily able to locate Barnabas and Sarah Collins who have, indeed, made little effort to avoid recognition whilst in residence here. Rather, it seems, they have not so much wished to escape notice, as to remove themselves from Collinsport for some other reason. The reception given to each is varying.

Upon spying Millicent Collins offering kindness and comfort to the poor and afflicted, Sarah Collins rushes out of some dark corner wherein she had been staying and embraces her warmly, with that honest display of emotion so common amongst children, and so rare amongst their elders.

"Dearest cousin," the child remarks, "I am pleased indeed to see you, but I must not be so selfish as to wish you to stay. I do not wish any harm to befall you."

In another place, Reverend Trask has come upon a weary and bedraggled Barnabas Collins, whose greeting is less enthusiastic.

"I knew I could not escape discovery forever, but I hoped to delay it long enough to ensure the safety of Collinsport and all who dwell therein. Has the curse passed, then? Is my family safe?"

Miss Winters comes upon Millicent and Sarah soon after their tender reunion. At the sight of her governess, the girl casts down her eyes and says "I am truly sorry to be so disobedient, but I had to come. Barnabas needs me."

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"If by the curse you mean the St. Elmo's Fire phenomenon," says Reverend Trask, "it has followed you, first to Portland and now to Boston. Your family in Collinsport was safe when we left. I suspect the curse may be part of Angelique's final revenge. We will need to find some way to defeat it permanently. I can be of help there. Have you learned anything of the curse?"

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I understand," says Victoria. "I want to help you and Barnabas too. I wish you had explained the situation to me before. Please do so now. Why does Barnabas need you?"

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 am
"If by the curse you mean the St. Elmo's Fire phenomenon," says Reverend Trask, "it has followed you, first to Portland and now to Boston. Your family in Collinsport was safe when we left. I suspect the curse may be part of Angelique's final revenge. We will need to find some way to defeat it permanently. I can be of help there. Have you learned anything of the curse?"
"Only that I am plagued by horrible visions whenever the lights appear by day. What bitter irony it is to seek the harmless nightmares that haunt one's sleep rather than the terrors of waking! It is only when dear Sarah is by my side that I am free of this agony. Perhaps if we were to journey westward, away from the sea, into the unexplored wilderness; but I fear that would avail me not, and subject Sarah to the dangers of savages and wild beasts."

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 am
"I understand," says Victoria. "I want to help you and Barnabas too. I wish you had explained the situation to me before. Please do so now. Why does Barnabas need you?"
"It is as my brother has said. I must remain by his side, and I do not wish my family frightened by the lights, so we have left Colllinsport."

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:46 am
by SunlessNick

"I am overjoyed to see you safe," says Millicent to Sarah and Barnabas. "And I have faith that we shall find a way to free you from your troubles."

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I shall try to break the curse," says Reverend Trask, "now that I know what we are dealing with and that it is centered around you. All of us must pray together to lift it, as it is a powerful one."

Using Exorcism.

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria prays along with the Reverend and the others to lift the curse.

I'll use my Grace point if needed to reroll any failure.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
to see if the entities can resist the exorcism:d20
Not long after Reverend Trask performs the ceremony of exorcism, word comes from Boston Harbor that Saint Elmo's Fire is no longer seen amongst the various ships therein. It would appear that this particular evil has been banished whence it came. There is much relief seen upon the heretofore tortured countenance of Barnabas Collins, although a trace of worry can be read in the furrows that appear upon his brow.

"I am free from the burden of hellish visions," he remarks, holding his sister close to him, "yet how can I make my return to Collinsport, when I have brought such shame upon my family?"

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:08 pm
by SunlessNick

"In time you may be reconciled with them." says Millicent. "Your father visited you during your great illness. Have faith."

I was sure I'd left a post saying that Milicent would join in the prayer and spend a Grace point if necessary.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Surely they will be grateful when you return Sarah, who is well thanks to your protection," says Reverend Trask. "I am confident that like the prodigal son, you will be forgiven and welcomed back."

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think it will all work out," says Victoria. "Angelique's witchcraft was responsible for the awful things that happened, and now she is no more. It may take some time, but I'm sure the divisions will heal. I'm so glad the curse is finally lifted."

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Be sure to tune in again for the next exciting episode!