Backgrounds and who is playing who in this game!

It was not a quiet night: a sudden storm blew across the fields.
Maybe they should go down to the cellar if it got worse.
The radio was off.
No news.
Until now.

The scenario plays out in a farm house some ways from a prison.
You are there.
Will you leave?

Jailbreak is a scenario written by Greg Stolze for Unknown Armies.
I run it like Call of Cthulhu.

Welcome!

Moderator: Dave Syrinx

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Backgrounds and who is playing who in this game!

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Here we pick the characters and set the scene with what has happened prior to this get together.
What did happen in the prison and how did everyone end up where they currently are?

Firtsly, it´s mid October, 1988. Cold. Overcast. Risk of rain.
Secondly: the location is close to Surrey State Penitentiary in Georgia. (Medium security facility)

All places aren´t kept to the same standards. There are those who maintain and those who don´t.

An abandoned asylum in Atlanta, Georgia.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Backgrounds and who is playing who in this game!

Post by Mr. Handy »

None of the images are showing up for me.

Are the six characters in the other thread the only ones available, or are there more coming?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hmm. I quit my Potobucket a few years ago. I´ll see what I´m doing wrong. I tried to link from google photos.
More characters are coming.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Re: Images

Until I have fixed the images, you can open the "image icon" by right clicking and open in a new tab.
I have no idea why this is happening.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Trying out Tumblr.

There are now fourteen characters to pick from. Disregard the Supporting Cast headline. It only indicates they are a bit away from the main cast.
The map provided will give you an idea how far away everyone is.

TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I can see the pictures now.

I'd like to play Officer Linda Beck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Then I´ll send the write-up to you and you may flesh her out. I´ll post a background post and we can roleplay the part from the breakout to Linda´s current position.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

And, Happy Independence Day!
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Linda Beck

Background notes and character details:
Spoiler:
Officer Linda Beck, 31 years old. Prison guard.
"Jake´s an oaf. But he´s my oaf!"

Linda has been working at Surrey State Penitentiary for ten years. She would say it´s her adult lifetime. She also met the love of her life here, Jake. Jake is the rock she missed while growing up in Stockbridge, GA. Pine Hills ”The best place to call home”, was her mother´s home. A trailer home for a single mother and her daughter. Being the daughter of the communities Golden Arches most popular waitress on skates made Linda long for a father figure and order in life.
Fate would have it that her and Jake´s current home is a caravan on the parking lot of Surrey State Penitentiary. An irony that is not lost on her. Her mom died from a skin condition in 1982. Six years ago, and what does Linda have from her? A pair of neon roller skates in a cupboard of the mobile home.
A cream Desoto from 66 is hitched to the mint colored home. ”To be a step away from wherever...” Is the going phrase of Jake & Linda.
Now, the step seems to be a long leap away.

Please roll up the stats and skills for Linda as normal.

Linda has an obsession: (Something she has to do in certain situations. Could be seen as a drawback. Could be something good.) Life goal?
Linda´s passion is: (A thing that makes her really good at something. She will have the opportunity to re-roll a botched skill check on her passion skill. Always.)

Rage stimulus: What makes her angry?
Fear stimulus: What´s her worst fear?
Noble stimulus: What´s worth fighting for?

Her Sanity is divided into five parts, all with the total amount of San points.

Violence x x x
Unnatural x x x
Helplessness x x x
Isolation x x x
Self x x x

You may redistribute the x´s to make Linda more hardened to some of the aspects and weaker to others. She must have 1 x per aspect.

When rolling sanity checks, you will pick which of the madness criteria she will suffer.
Even if you succeed in a roll, one x will be removed from the madness pool. The reasoning is that even if you manage to get through 15 hurdles without a breakdown, you will be jolted for sure. And that is what the x´s are about. If your Isolation reaches 0 x´s, you will need to find someone to break your feeling of isolation.
As normal, if you fail a Sanity check, the SAN score will possibly get lower. And she will react to the aspect she rolled against.
The Start Of It All

At 1300 hours, the sky opened and a hailstorm hit Surrey State and surroundings. High winds and really heavy downpour.

Two hours ago, at 1600 hours, an explosion broke the wall to the exercise yard. A big hole and a lot of smoke. As the breakout happened. The alarm went off and all rooms were electronically locked. Fire doors and exits were bolted automatically and the drenched prisoners on the yard were taken to the safety of the cafeteria.

300 prisoners 30 guards.

Here it was clear that five prisoners were missing.

Lobsang Ramja, 59, a spiritual leader of some New Age gathering. The Third Eye.
Steven Updike, 32, wife beater.
Morton Willits. 45, Fraud.
David Leyner, 38, drugs.
Juan Riccinto, 27, sexual assault.

A white van had been spotted by a guard leaving the area from a road near the exercise yard. It had four persons travelling in it.

Alex Shipley, FBI, on scene by serendipity, steps up and takes charge of the situation. He and his agents head off after the white van. Heading north.
The orders are to keep the prison i lockdown and reveal nothing to press or civilians. Warden Elisabeth Jones seem happy to comply.

There are no apparent connection between the prisoners. Other than they all look bad. That´s probably due to the experience and reason for their incarceration. People don´t look bad, they behave badly. Riccinto honestly looks like a decent kid. But that goes bad with his sentence.

Fifteen minutes after the blast, Linda becomes aware that Jake hasn´t reported in over the radio. The wired communication and video feeds are down, so there is no way of getting any footage of the surroundings after the breakout.

Linda decides to check the forest side of the compound, where the caravan is parked at a fenced in parking, now partially overflown with rainwater. Doing so she sees the light is out in the caravan, so Jake is not there. He always keep a light on. Keeping the bad ju-ju away as he says.

While watching, she sees a shadow moving through the forest rood, as if a car with no lights on is driving away. A reflection in a window from a light source at the prison maybe?

On a hunch, she decides to investigate. She gets in her dark blue Dodge Sprint and drives after the car through the forest and past an industrial farm. Halfway to the next big farm, a car sits on the road. A black Chrysler Voyager. Plate: SWR 1565

A few hundred meters from the road a small 2 storey house can be seen dimly lit.
Having already turned off her beams, she considers her options.

Should she go after or get reinforcement?
Maybe even call it in?
Linda has a rain parka, her uniform under it, her service weapon, radio, flash light stick. As well as her private go-bag in the Sprint.

16:40 PM, in the hailstorm, by the wayside. Atlanta, Georgia.

TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! Which edition of the rules are we using?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Oh, I´m old-fashioned. 5.0, I´d say.
I never got around checking the newer ones. And the madness bits from UA will be a trial en error process. I found them interesting affecting different parts of the character.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks. I don't have the 5th edition, but I have 6th edition, which is pretty close. Should I just use that for character creation?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Yes, that will do just fine. Good luck on the rolls!
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Having bodysnatched a Brit I´m adding Airbornexxo to the PC-list. He´s picked Morton Willits.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Airbornexxo, I´ve added Morton Willits background here:
Spoiler:
You should never have wound up in Surrey prison; you should be somewhere much worse. You got convicted for breaking and entering
because you hadn’t had time to slit the throat of the Russian mobster who was moving in on your boss’s territory. You’ve killed six
people so far, two of whom didn’t fight back. It’s okay though; they were all bad.
You don’t hurt or kill good people. It’s sloppy, unprofessional, and you just don’t like it. At least, that’s what you tell yourself; but
deep down, you suspect that it’s because you like killing far, far too much.
People underestimate you. You don’t talk a lot, and when you do, you have a hard time getting your point across. That makes them
think you’re dumb, which you certainly aren’t. You’re also not very large, and by the time you hit thirty-five you were completely bald—
so people don’t think you’re trouble in a fight.
Most people at the prison didn’t know you had to kill Don Braddock. It was self-defense—but the question of who left the prison’s
worst bully and sexual predator in a broom closet with a sharpened spoon in his eye was a hotly debated one in Surrey.
You don’t blame the guards for watching you or the courts for imprisoning you. You’ve accepted that you’re a bad man; some day
you’ll probably die like the bad men you’ve killed. But there are different types of bad.
You know you’re on the dark side, but that doesn’t mean you like to see people leave the light.

Saying that this not seems to be the best laid plans won´t serve anyone. But what are the options? Go back to the van for some reason? Leave the group as the hailstorm is really distracting. You know Nubbs is on his way, and he knows how to disappear for real. Steven is just a clown.

Obsession: You’re morbidly fascinated by death. You never feel as alive as when you watch the light fade from a dying man’s eyes.
Passions
Rage Stimulus: People who try to push you around because they think you can’t fight back.
Fear Stimulus: (Violence) Losing control of the joy that you take in killing.
Noble Stimulus: Making sure the “good people” don’t get pulled into conflicts between “bad people.”

Some Skills
Body Skills: Athletics 15%, Climb 10%, Cut You Up 55%
Speed Skills: Drive 15%, Dodge 15%, Shoot You 30%, Sneak 40%
Mind Skills: General Education 15%, Get Past Alarms 40%, Notice
45%
Soul Skills: Lie 45%, Charm 15%

His Sanity is divided into five parts, all with the total amount of San points.

Violence x x x
Unnatural x x x
Helplessness x x x
Isolation x x x
Self x x x

You may redistribute the x´s to make Willits more hardened to some of the aspects and weaker to others. He must have 1 x per aspect.

When rolling sanity checks, you will pick which of the madness criteria he will suffer.
Even if you succeed in a roll, one x will be removed from the madness pool. The reasoning is that even if you manage to get through 15 hurdles without a breakdown, you will be jolted for sure. And that is what the x´s are about. If your Isolation reaches 0 x´s, you will need to find someone to break your feeling of isolation.
As normal, if you fail a Sanity check, the SAN score will possibly get lower. And he will react to the aspect she rolled against.

Please roll up character stats and some more skills using 5th or 6th edition rules.
As it stands, you are waiting to get sprung out of the prison by Phil Nubbs, a fixer working for your boss, Johnny Nails.
Somehow Nubbs was a no show. Probably the weather. The current hailstorm is a mother of bad weather!
The explosion happened. And Steven Updike just whacked the big guard in the head and took his gun.
The opportunity just arrived and you decided to follow.

Out past the prison´s car park. On to the road. Stopping a van. Hijacking the two women in the car. Driving through the forest past big farms, driving without lights.
Till the car stopped. The weather is getting doubly worse.

Now, Steve had the idea to leave the car and herd the three hostages to a two storey farm house, 300 meters away from the road. Leyner keeps the women tied up with a towing line. He also took a stun gun from the guard.

Closing in on the front door, Steve says, "We stay here over night and move on in the morning when things cooled down."
TVblog

Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

Hi guys - I’m playing Morton. Maybe he’s a bad guy, maybe not...

Cheers, Hal
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hi there!
I will be setting up the different in-character threads when we all have set the characters and backgrounds.

For now it´s a bit transparent, but I hope it all will be fun to play out. Whatever you find out as a player will not automatically mean your character knows it.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back, Hal!

STR:
[dice]0[/dice]
CON:
[dice]1[/dice]
POW:
[dice]2[/dice]
DEX:
[dice]3[/dice]
APP:
[dice]4[/dice]
SIZ:
[dice]5[/dice]
INT:
[dice]6[/dice]
EDU:
[dice]7[/dice]
Those are decent rolls, except for STR and EDU. I can boost EDU by 1 due to being at least 10 years older than the minimum required age, at least. Am I allowed to swap rolls between stats rolled on the same type of dice?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Hello everyone, I’ll be playing Phil Nubbs please, Dave. It will be a bit of a challenge as I’m not particularly au fait with that type of character; quite the opposite to my string of old ladies eh, Mr Handy!
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Mr. Handy, you may swap rolls. Sure.

Aine, you will handle the transformation splendidly.
TVblog

Return to “Jailbreak (File not found 404)”