ICC- Episode 1 - The Fire in the Hole

This is a Non-Delta Green / Non-Mythos game that utilizes Delta Green Rules.
Agent, you have been assigned to the Joint Task Force headed by a Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. You, and your colleagues chosen from other Federal Law Enforcement agencies, have been especially selected to participate in this exercise of inter-agency cooperation so that we can pool your collective talents and skills to better serve the interests of our great nation. As we struggle to over come the challenges we face as a nation in this time of global pandemic, we're counting on you and your colleagues to work together against the many threats we face (foreign and domestic, visible and invisible, biological, human and 'other') in order to keep your countryman safe, secure and healthy. With your service, we will help make America great again. Thank you for your service. Sincerely, Your President.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: ICC- Episode 1 - The Fire in the Hole

Post by welsh »

OCC- Couple of things. Waiting for Mr. Handy to post. I will send him a pm.
As to the equipment, the gear is available from the rescue teams nearby, Wade has some gear as well or you can assume you have some of your own. Conroy, for instance, probably has access to this kind of gear that might actually be better.

IC_ The Group gathers near the house-

Fire Inspector Salvaggio turns back when he hears the question. He looks back at the explosion site and shakes his head. "The dust seems to be settling but seems to have been blown out from the house because of the explosion. With all the rain it's been settling down outside and hasn't been that much of a problem. Or at least that was true at first. But as we keep working the site, we've kicked up some of the dust back into the air. The stuff seems almost resistant to water. So yeah... we think the explosion blew out a big pile of dust into the air, kind of like a big puff of air would send dust airborne. To be honest, it's been a pain in the ass and has a habit of gunking up the air filtration systems. We've had a few of our people who have been here all evening step back because the dust has gotten into their lungs. No doubt it will be worse under the house. "

Salvaggio points towards one of the trucks nearby. "If you need gear, we got some spare kits you can use. Just make sure you get fresh filters and air tanks. The dust out here isn't so bad, but it seems to have been denser at the site. We think that once we break into the basement the air down below will be especially dense, in part because the moisture in the air hasn't yet settled it down and the air is probably dense with it. We expect the air to be basically unbreathable down in the basement and will continue to be so until it settles or we find some way to remove it."

He shakes his head, considering. "But someone seems to be still down there, or at least the dogs seem to think so. Damn dogs won't be helpful once we get in thought because they won't be able to work in that environment. We'll need rely on our sensors."

"From what we've found out, the dust seems to be pretty harmless, at least up here. Our samples suggest it's mostly chlorides, sulphates and calcium carbonates, but flakey and dry. One of the guys said it was like being in a dust storm in Iraq or Afghanistan, the kind that would be blown in from their deserts and would just cloud up and get into everything. But we found no dangerous residue of poisons. There weren't even dangerous heavy metals in any concentrations that would be dangerous. Truth is, the dust seems to be almost free of any industrial pollutants at all. We don't think its from NY but was brought in for God knows what reasons."

"But if you are asthmatic, you might want to back away. It's annoying, but a lot of our guys have been exposed to worse than this over the past year with all these fires. At least it doesn't have any airborne poisons or heavy metals that will poison your lungs. Still better to be careful"

The investigators are all aware that since the election and Trump's re-election, fires repeatedly been lit many of the poorer regions of New York City, especially among the housing projects. In many ways, the fires have been considered reminiscent among older residents of fires once set in the Bronx during the 1970s and 1980s, when buildings would be put aflame by the residents and the firemen would need police to protect them.

(OCC- for a bit on the fires in the Bronx of the 1970s and 80s- here is a video on a recent documentary on this period https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Tyj0AQu0o or for more- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_mIsGFTXc )

Salvaggio nods but also notes the others prepping to go in. "You guys might want to reconsider going in, and if you decide to go in, hold on and take it easy. This isn't a commando raid but a search and rescue in an environmentally tricky and unstable area. It's going to be pretty cramped in there and we're going to try to get the survivor. The collapse of the building has made getting in kind of tight and the damage has left much of the structure very unstable. We've got to worry about the rest of the building coming down and if it does, it will likely crush anyone underneath. So the rescue team has to go in first. You guys will need to follow and we won't be able to allow all of you in. Your investigation has to follow the rescue of the living, sorry, but that has to be priority.

“But when you go in, be careful. From what we can tell, some of the first and second floor may have fallen in and there simply won't be enough room down there. With all the dust, visibility will be virtually zero. Which means its cramped, visibility is cramped and a bad move could bring the whole structure down and crush anyone caught underneath it. Seriously, visibility is likely to be crap. I mean, you'll be lucky you can see your hand in front of your face. Imagine diving into a wreck 100 feet below the ocean and the current kicks up the muddy water and you can't see where you are or what you are doing. And you can also forget about that AR. With all the dust, it's just going to get dirty and probably jam up to hell. You'll need to clean it before you can really use it again. I'd leave it be because there isn't anyone down there worth shooting. If you insist on a weapons, do like tunnel rats, bring a pistol. Besides, we ran a heat sensor over the site and, from what we can tell, there is only one live body down there and it doesn't seem they are moving. We think the person might have survived the blast but might be unconscious and near death."

He pauses, "If you got any other questions? I got to check in with the Sergeant. The rescue workers are about to get in."

Marshall Wade has paused to listen to Salvaggio finished. She then says, "I got some gear in my truck if you need it. But I'd say only 1 or 2 of you should go in, tops. Let the rescue folks do their work. Remember, local PD still has jurisdiction and we follow their lead. As for this little toy." She puts her hand on the drone. "I was thinking we'd fly it overhead and see what we can see from above. There are heat sensors on this machine that can pick up unusual heat sources, primarily body heat. It's not quite as good as using hound dogs to trace, but it has sensors that will allow us to see what's going on."

Marshall Wade continues to prepare the machine and continues, "You folks have been suggesting something of a meth lab around here that might be cooking up. With all the fences up around the properties, we can't see it from the street but we might be able to see something from above. So I'm thinking do a fly over and peek over the fences to see what the neighbors are up to. We’ve used this to track fugitives in the bush, to scope out a building before a raid, so maybe we can find out where your meth lab is, and if we can find the meth lab, maybe we can find those bangers who we think set this fire."

The only local policeman is Mooreland who has also been suspicious of the local cops. Dowd, the NY Port Authority detective is near the container waiting for the others to breach the lock. A quick glance can tell he’s getting impatient. There is little reason why the investigators can’t check the container while one or two enter the basement of the house to look for the survivor.

Mooreland catches Gonzales considering whether to share intel and says, "Seriously? You think I'm the crook in this rotten precinct?" Gonzales has to make a judgement call on Mooreland.

Lapis looks at Gonzales and says, "Mooreland is alright Gonzales, you can trust him. I’ve worked with him before and will vouch for him."

After Gonzales discloses his info Mooreland nods and adds, "Pagans are mostly out in Nassau and Suffolk County, out on Long Island, and they have been defending their turf from Hells Angels and other locals gangs. They wouldn't venture this way without risking a turf war and that would hurt their business interests. The Angels around here would not take kindly to them setting up shop. But they aren't above the meth trade, so they could buy from an independent contractor. So that kind of makes sense."

Moreland continues, “But according to Parchese, one of these local bangers just got snuffed a few blocks from here. Could be payback, but if the other of the Ruby Street boys are around here licking their wounds, than there is a chance that who ever whacked their boss is likely to want to finish the rest of them off. I think we need to find the rest if we want to make any arrests for this particular crime, and maybe get some witnesses about what happened, at least before they get put down.”
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lee Shaftoe gears up in preparation for going into the bunker. He brings a pistol underneath his gear to keep it clean, though if there is anyone hostile inside, his whole body is a deadly weapon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Miranda Waterhouse joins Dowd at the container to see what's inside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Gonzalez:

Gonzalez sighs but nods and locks his rifle away again.

"OK, how do we feel about me, Shaftoe and Shibatu going down the hole? Other three take the container? I still think the rescue team might need some back-up if this individual is anything like what we think they are."

"Marshall Law here provides aerial recon."

Gonzalez collects and starts putting on the breathing apparatus.
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Conroy:

Conroy heads over to the container, evidence kit over his shoulder.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

OCC- sorry folks, been a bit busy with on-line teaching, grading and all the other nonsense.
Also, I am going to speed through some of the opening of the container here.

IC-

Marshal Wade begins to test the drone off the ground. she crouches down behind the container for the drone and works the controls, lifting the drone up off the ground with a steady buzzing sound. A flick of a switch and the drone goes silent. The machine darts back and forth and she flies the drone around the damaged site as the group suits up and gets ready.

"Looks like all is a go. I'll do a fly over looking for unusual thermal readings from above. That should allow us to pick out people and perhaps might even get us a heat signature where there might be a meth cook underway."

Near the Container, Dowd waits for Lapis, Conroy, Miranda and gets the bolt cutters read to break the lock. Shafto, Shibatu and Gonzales continue to gear up.

Gonzales notice a African man dressed in clothing of priest walking near the perimeter, speaking to the few individuals that remain nearby. As the man nears, he can hear that the man has a distinctive French Creole accent, perhaps as if coming from Haiti or a former French colony. The African man notices Gonzales observing him, meets his eyes, and the man gives a gentle nod of greeting before continuing about.

(OCC- Gonzales, Harry or Shafto may wish to speak to the African priest).

At the Container, Lapis nods to Dowd, "Let's take a look."

Dowd begins working the various locks on the door. "This is a type 2 door, the most secure type." He says as he works. "I've already taken pictures of all the labels"...

(Container doors? https://www.haulio.io/blog/everything-y ... pe_3_Doors)

The container is on its side and both doors are likely to swing outward. Like many containers it has multiple locking mechanisms, but Dowd has worked with such mechanisms before and works quickly to unlock them. He makes sure that the bottom door remains in place so that it doesn't quick fling down and perhaps trap him underneath it. When he's ready he looks at the others. "Are you ready?"

A quick nod from Lapis and the others and Down throws the last lock, and quickly the door begins to crack open as a reddish dust begins to cascade, an orange flow from beneath a damn, that quickly begins to pile at the bottom of the container, covering Dowd's feed. He steps back as the dust continues to until there is a neat pile beneath the door and the then the door shuts against its weight.

Lapis says, "Give me a second, I think I can find something to keep the door open."

Dowd, looking at the pile seems uncertain. "Yeah, we can flip the door around to make access a bit easier."

To Conroy, it looks like the same dust that he's seen all over the explosion site, that seemed to coat much of the vehicles that had been found earlier and which seems to have have now coated much of the area around the blast, and much of The Hole. The dust, having remained within a tight airlocked seal, seems even finer and more powdery than that which had been spread by the explosion earlier. To his immediate observation , it seems as if the dust had not been exposed to any water vapor in many years.

For a moment both Amanda and Conrowy seem lost in thought before Wade interrupts their thoughts.

Wade calls over, "Drone seems to be working fine. Dust doesn't seem to be much a problem but looks like most of it settled, so no problem." She flies the quiet drone over the explosion site and over the rescue crew that is continuing to work. "Looks like we got some heat traces around site. Looks like some kind of heat signature from the blast or fire. Some warm rocks that haven't quite lost their heat yet."

Wade continues to fly the drone about the position. "Can't get a clear read on what might be below. Between the heat signature on the site and the heat signatures on the rescue crew, plus any penetration down into the basement, I can't see a trace of any bodies down there. But if that explosion was that hot, my guess is that anyone in that basement must be shielded, so we wouldn't necessary see anything anyway. I'm going to do an overview. This should take a few moments"

Meanwhile, Lapis and Dowd tie a rope around the door and both Dowd and Lapis climb on top of the overturned container to pull up the heavy door, not without some considerable effort.

As they do so both Conroy and Amanda remain back, least the door swing back down upon them. As light enters the container, Conroy and Miranda can see that there is a considerable amount of the red dust inside the container itself, some of it now shaken loose. But it also seems that behind the dust were other objects, large objects that seem wrapped in some heavy plastic and remain largely buried in the dust. From the look of it, whatever was being imported in the container seemed to be packed within the red dust, as if the dust was some kind of insulation to protect the objects wrapped up in plastics.

To get to those objects, they will need to go into the container and either unwrap them inside or take the objects out and unwrap them. Both Amanda and Conroy note that they are likely to sink into the powdery dust rather than be able to step over it. Neither Amanda nor Conroy can see too far into the container but the objects seem pretty clear, and that suggest there might be more items inside the container, but buried inside the red dust. To get at them, they will need to get inside and begin removing the dust.

Near the blast site, a jack hammer is working the last of the rocks. A call comes out from the rescue team. "We are almost through. Get ready and have emergency medical ready. We still got signs of life from inside."

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lee Shaftoe approaches the priest to speak to him quickly before heading below. "Good day, Father," he says. "Were you in the area last night? Did you happen to hear or see anything?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Miranda Waterhouse looks over at Conroy. "Did you see what I saw?" she asks. "I guess we'll have to go inside to move the dust out so we can get at whatever's in it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

As Shafto approaches the priest he notes the man is of about medium stature and a bit heavy, with thick arms and legs and a very thick neck. His hair is cropped short and tight, his ears close to his head. Although not a tall man, Shafto would guess that this is an individual of considerable strength. The man's skin is dark and dry, rough, almost burnt. Most notably, the man's eyes are unlike most African or African-American men that Shafto has met before. They are a light, almost yellowish green, speckled with dark spots, and the iris is remarkably large compared to smallish sliver-like pupils. He wears a black cassock that reaches to his ankles and black walking shoes, a cape and an overcoat for outwear, perhaps because of the coldness of the day. He has a clerical collar but no cap of ceremonial hat. Around his neck is a simple chain and crucifix, but Shafto notes that the crucified man and the crucifix itself seems to be made serpents that seem to wrap themselves around the Christ figure. Shafto also notes that the overcoat has simple copper buttons that seem to have some engraving, but Shafto can't quite make them out clearly.

The man pauses and smiles and then shakes his head sadly. "Last night? Oh no, last night I was away providing services, praying for a member of my parish and her family who was in a hospital in the Bronx. She passed away and I gave last rites in the early morning hours. After I stayed with the family to give comfort in their time of mourning." Says the priest. The man's accent is distinctly French, "I only learned of this explosion this morning when I came in but I could smell the smoke from my church, only a few blocks from here. I came because I was concerned that some of my flock might have been hurt in the blast and to do God's work as I am called to. Some of my volunteers told me about the blast. A terrible thing."

His eyes glance at the ruin site. "It seems the blast was remarkable and I understand that lives were lost. I recall the building was a religious center, Muslim, but that closed down a while ago. I've also know they reopened but were no long spreading their faith. Do you know what caused the explosion?"

He turns to Shafto, "It looks like a bomb went off inside. Ah.... it is terrible indeed.... I remember bombs in Africa before I left.... terrible violence..." He pauses in reflection.

The man then stops, shakes his head, "Excuse me, I did not properly introduce myself. I am Reverend Milton Ingwenya. Mine is the First Church of African Zion. It is nearby in the building that used to the Faith and Love Christian Center and a very small church here. I am originally from Africa, if you cannot place my accent. But I live here now, in New York, my new home." He smiles again. The priest reaches a strong hand out in offer of a hand shake to Shafto, and he also notices the man has a bangle that is twisted copper and some other metal that looks somewhat like scales. "And your name, sir? I have not seen you around here and, I don't believe you are with the local police. You are?"

OCC- Handy, do a percentile roll and let me what you get.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Lee Shaftoe," he says, giving Reverend Ingwenya a firm handshake. "I'm with the task force that's investigating the explosion. From where in Africa did you come?"
OOC, I got [url=https://orokos.com/roll/883834]a 2[/url].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Jacob Kaminski

Hearing the shout from the rescue team, Kaminski finished suiting up and grabbed his forensics bag. ”Let’s hope there’s someone in there who can tell us a bit more about what’s going on,” he said.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IC - Harry Shibatu

Harry had been suiting up, ready to follow the rescue team when he saw the priest observing from the perimeter. He paused, tied off his overshoes and walked over to join Shafto. ”Good afternoon, Father,” he said politely. “Would you have happened to have known any of the people who were living in that building?”
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

IC-

Reverend Ingwenya smiles at the attention, his hand shake is strong. But he releases Shafto's hand after a quick shake. "Originally, I am from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Do you know it? Before that it was called Zaire, and before that the Republic of Congo, and before the Belgium Congo. All these are names of the river where my family is from. My accent, you see, is French, because this was the language we learned to be a priest."

He turns his attention to Shibatu, "In the house. There was a man I met once, named Khan I think. He was a mullah, a religious teacher of Islam, We spoke about Africa and faith, You know the Muslims are interesting in spreading their faith into Africa.... But he left here and the Muslims closed shop... I understand there were new people who came here later but they were not interested in converting anyone. I don't think they were Muslims but I was told they came from the Middle East. But they kept to themselves during the day time. I never saw them when I would walk these parts to provide local service. I never saw them but I don't walk these streets at night unless I must. But I will add that people became fearful. Some of the local boys spoke of someone named Nasnas they met at night, and they were afraid of him, but the boys thought that this Nasnas fellow came from that house. But I did not take them too seriously and they told crazy stories. They are users of drugs and often would deprive themselves of sleep and see the shadow creatures too. But that's drugs, you know.. methamphetimine."

At the house, the jackhammer stops. "Ok, get the jack back.. Get the sledge, we're nearly there..." Calls one of the crew working over the site.

Wade pilots the drone on a quick pass over the site. She says, "Damn, looks like something is getting hotter underneath." She yells at out,

On the container, Lapis and Dowd have just secured the door down. In side the container, Conroy and Amanda, notice that the dust seems to have begun to lift up as if caught by a gust of wind.

OCC- Folks feel free to post, but I am going to pause for Snapper. Gonzales might have some questions for Ingwenya before I post again.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IC - Harry Shibatu

Nasnas?” repeated Harry. “Did you ever meet him?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did the addicts give a description of him?" asks Lee Shaftoe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:

Sorry team, bit slow this week.

ICC - Gonzalez:

Gonzalez regards the Reverend with polite attention. "I'm curious. Can I ask, Reverend, if your church is related to any of the denominations we're more familiar with, the Catholic movement, any of the Protestant churches?"
Last edited by Snapper on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Conroy:

"Yeah, I saw something. Reminds me of the stuff my Native American ancestors used, in its effect. Is there trace hallucinogen in this dust? I am starting to think this stuff is a serious ecological disaster all of its own."

"I think we should get some people digging and bagging this dust and we search the container as it's being cleared. We try to limit any more release into the eco-system, however shot it already is."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree," says Miranda. "Let's back off for now and get some protective gear and more people. I don't like the way this dust is swirling around."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Conroy:

Conroy turns to the others at the container. "OK folks, this stuff is officially hazardous until we can say otherwise. Everybody is going to need air filters."

Conroy puts through a call to the EPA to advise of the red dust, including that it may have hallucinatory effects, to request some environmental clean-up.

"Without proper lab analysis, I can't tell what this dust contains but it seems to get in everything, it hangs in the air and given a tenth of a chance it will get into the drainage system. More than already."

He alerts the rest of the team to be wary of the dust and its capacity to cause hallucinations. Turning to Miranda, he says, "I've got a respirator in my car but we better find you one too."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," says Miranda. "That will help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death