ICC- Episode 1 - The Fire in the Hole

This is a Non-Delta Green / Non-Mythos game that utilizes Delta Green Rules.
Agent, you have been assigned to the Joint Task Force headed by a Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. You, and your colleagues chosen from other Federal Law Enforcement agencies, have been especially selected to participate in this exercise of inter-agency cooperation so that we can pool your collective talents and skills to better serve the interests of our great nation. As we struggle to over come the challenges we face as a nation in this time of global pandemic, we're counting on you and your colleagues to work together against the many threats we face (foreign and domestic, visible and invisible, biological, human and 'other') in order to keep your countryman safe, secure and healthy. With your service, we will help make America great again. Thank you for your service. Sincerely, Your President.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: ICC- Episode 1 - The Fire in the Hole

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Javier:

Javier speaks up. "Javier Gonzalez, also DEA. I'm wondering if this was the mother of all drug cooks gone wrong? I'm happy to try talking to the locals. Get a feel for the lay of the land. They might be more willing to talk to someone who's not NYPD. Or make a trade. Maybe I'll speak some Espanol..." He shrugs amiably, flicking his cigarette butt into the water. "And the more cigarettes I give away, the longer I live."
OOC:   Does Javier know Lapis? They have similar career histories.  
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Conroy:

"I'm Special Agent Jackson Conroy with the EPA, call me Conroy." Conroy is ready for the usual smirks from the more hard-assed agencies represented at the little gathering.

"I've got my field kit in the car, thought I might get down there and help the forensics folks, take a few chem samples. I'm wondering what we're smelling. Perhaps it's just the smell you always get when you blow up part of The Hole?"
OOC:   Chemistry roll to take a preliminary guess at what the team is smelling?  
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by welsh »

OOC- apologies for delay. Tried to post last night and got automatically logged out and lost the message. I've posted a lot of the links (but I fear not all of them) to the reference thread, including info about arson investigation, the location of our blown up house, the neighborhood, general info about state and local environmental protection and, because of our mysterious horseman, wanted to verify that the local stables hasn't been flattened.

As for the scene, you can imagine that police have blocked off traffic at least one block in any direction from Dumont and 76th street, but also that many of the fences that were in the area have been knocked down. The police mobile hq has inched closer to the site, so are now parked in one of the otherwise empty lots on two sides of the building (the two story white building currently on google earth - sorry residents that I blew your house up in this story!) Our SUV is probably parked inside the police lane on Dumont and 75th street. The block behind us is Drew Street and a bit more busy, so that's probably where you pulled in.

In response to Conroy/Snapper's question- the smell is largely the cinders from the house that went up in flames as well as the smell of various fuels that probably went up as well. Whether those smells come from the house or the vehicles nearby is unclear. The atmospheric conditions of the grey misty fog that is rising up, mixing with the smoke, cinders and ash of the fire, is distorting your vision, staining everything with a greyish blackish ooze, and leaving behind the nasty scent. To make matters worse, the rain has increased flooding (which might have actually helped put out any fire that wasn't extinguished in the explosion, but it has lifted all sorts of waste (including human and animal). The water is brown and muddy, but also littered with particulate matter, heavy metals, petroleum, and human waste. Ok, I have to admit, just thinking about it makes me think of vomiting. To say it stinks would be an understatement. It's a good thing that you have a mask on or it would be getting into your nose and lungs.

This far away from the site, its hard to tell if all the smells are related to the fire itself. NYC has had lots of atmospheric problems. You can refer to the DEP link on air pollution to see that particularate matter, sulfur and ozone are common problems. The Hole's is surrounded on two sides by busy local highways, and the geography of the sink means that a lot of the heavier than air gases are likely to sink into this community (much like mustard gas would sink into the trenches and foxholes during World War 1)

ICC- McKenna addresses Conroy, "That's a good idea. Remember, Agent, we are here strictly to assist, not to take over. We'll need soil samples and air samples, as well, and there might be some traces of fire accelerators present. If you push the locals too hard they are likely to clam up, so go easy. Remember, we have an interest here because the property was foreign owned and we're just trying to ascertain a connection. But you might remind them that this is a matter of significant discretion and any leaks on their part might mean they lose a valuable retirement. Remember what happened to McCabe for being on the wrong side of the administration. ? "

OC- McKenna is referring what happened to McCabe. For more- https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -trump-fbi

ICC-
Lapis turns to Gonzalez, "You're the agent just transferred from Seattle, right? Sorry we haven't met yet. The agency had me running around the South American offices before returning here and I've been spending too much time in the Bronx ever since." Offering his hand for shaking. "You're right, this could be a Meth fire. With all the restrictions on immigration and flights, a lot of the Meth that used to come in from Mexico has slowed, so we've had a recent uptake in local labs. So we've had a few of these jokers trying to produce home-grown ice burn up in a fiery explosion."

Wade chimes in, "Yeah but good luck getting these folks talking." Her eyes pass over the area, "These people are not likely to trust the police, federal or local, and they aren't probably going to share much. Not in their interest. In a place like this, the locals are likely to speak to one of their own, not some outsider trying to police. And this place.... it's weird. No crowds, no protestors, no outrage, nothin. But you can feel them watching you. But to them, you are an outsider."

The investigators are not unfamiliar with communities that are socially marginalized or have long been victimized.

They can expect that any canvas for witness is likely to be frustrating and not bear much fruit. Over the past year, the distance between police and communities of color have increased, and not only in those places that have been a hotbed for protest. The police have normally found it difficult to break into such communities to speak to witnesses and when witnesses do come forward, you have to watch for any hidden motivations. Those who come forward are doing so, perhaps because they are hoping the police will offer a solution to their problem, not necessarily to help solve a crime.

For those living in such communities, the police and federal agents seem more like an invading army, bent on temporary occupation but not interested in leaving significant improvement to their lives, but to resolve a problem then leave, and in the process abandoning the people and allowing any local grievances to fester. It's not wise to talk to the police. One becomes a snitch, a traitor and problem, even for those not engaged in crime. People don't trust you because you've gone over to the other side, you're not one of them. And if police don't follow through, and usually they don't, those with grievances are likely to act, to settle a score. Given the risks, it's just not worth it. Not like the police really care, in any event.

So given the risks, why do the dangerous thing and speak to a cop?

It is possible that there might be a confidential informant, someone that the police have already recruited and is placed in this community that might offer some local intelligence. But that will require local cops and trust.

It might also be possible to find some kind of conduit, a go-between, some local authority (however informal) who is willing to step into that place between the police and the community and act as intermediary. Someone with a reputation in the community, some social capital for credibility, and the ability and willingness to help out.

Either way, it will require leg work.

No one ever said the job of an investigator is easy.

McKenna nods, "Could be there is a drug connection here. Could be the Saudi's are that stupid, or perhaps they are making Meth and selling it to fund something. It's a possibility, but if it is, kind of stupid if they think they won't get caught. Perhaps if they are they might be thinking of hiding behind some diplomatic immunity. But they would know better and it would just be a stall for time or an effort to limit the consequences. But we won't know till we find out. Any other questions?"
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Jakob Kaminski

Jakob shakes his head.

Pulling his mask free of his face a little way, he says, ”I’ll put in a call to the local ER. See if anyone has made their way there? If it was meth, there’s a good chance of people getting burned.”
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Wade speaks up. "Chance are they brought the victims to the two nearest hospitals, so probably Jamaica Hospital or more likely Brookdale, which is closer. I can check in from here. Probably got evidence on the bodies up at the blast site itself."

McKenna, "Alright, no other questions? Let's go say hello. Wade, you can stay here as I think the site is safe enough. Make the calls please. Agent Kaminski, you may want to speak to the local forensic team before you go visit any victims. Agent Conroy, there has got to be some scientific evidence the EPA might be able to dig up that has bearing. If you gentlemen need to gear up, please do so. We're going to probably need some physical evidence before this is resolved and time is running, gentleman. " McKanne begins to walk, carefully through the cold muddy streets towards the big slug of the Command vehicle, really little more than a converted bus.

Jakob can hear Wade calling in to the hospital from the SUV , "Brookdale ER please?....... Brookdale ER, this is Cheryl Wade, US Marshal's Service. You've been getting victims from East New York this sevening from the Dumont Street fire? ..... Yeah, that's correct.... Is there anyone I can speak to about the injuries..."

As they approach the bus then can see, on the corner the roped in debris of the still smoldering fire, black smoke continuing to rise from the masonry and the wood. One of the men who is probing the fire steps away and towards them, also making his way towards the command bus and their pathways cross. The man removes the gasmask as he steps away from the smoke, and dons a Covid Mask. He sees McKenna and the other agents approach.

"John Salvaggio, FDNY, Fire Inspector." Says Salvaggio, holding out a grimmy glove to McKenna, "You one of the detectives?"

"Assistant US Attorney McKenna" Says McKenna, ignoring the outstretched hand, "Sorry, but got to court later today and, yeah know, your hands. We're here to help. What happened?"

Salvaggio shrugs, "So far, a bit hard to say, but I'd guess there is enough fire damage here to suggest that something got lit and stayed lit despite the wet and rain. Could be electrical started something, but it could be fuel ignited. Hard to say. The house used to have two garages and there was a van parked in one and sedan in the other, but what is amazing is this place had a basement too."

"Why amazing?"

"Given the location, the basement probably should have gotten flooded, so our thinking was that the water leaked in, mixed with something, creates an unstable mix and blew the house up. The explosion came from beneath the house, not the ground floor or the top floor, which is a good thing or we'd have a lot more dead bodies and a lot of this area would have gotten flattened. As is, the explosion came from underneath. The fire damage is significant for the heat it created but the building is mostly masonry, mortar and bricks, reinforced like, and strong. Looks like someone reinforced the masonry recently. The old mortar would have just exploded out and we'd be picking up bricks a few blocks away. But that didn't happened." The Salvaggio stops for a second and looks back at the house. "The explosion lifted the house, elevated it off its foundations even as it blasted out. Like the ground floor and second floor were some giant cap or cover of an explosion that couldn't stop the blast from happening but it could contain it. The pressure from beneath lifted it up and then dropped it back onto the basement. Probably fell 6-10 feet down, and that force broke the entire building up and turned it to rubble. In the process a lot of the fire got put out, and I think the rain did more to extinguish it than the hoses from the fire crews."

Salvaggio shakes his head, turns back towards the command vehicle. " I've been fighting fires 20 years, and on this job for 13 more, and this is weird. A fire might have set off the explosion but.. whether it was fire or heat that set off the explosion, don't know. Most of the construction looks like typical stuff you'd find used in most construction around here over the last 50 years, but there are these bricks...

"What about the bricks" Asks McKenna

Salvaggio's hand is nearly at the command vehicle and says, "Well, they ain't from here or at least they weren't made typical...."

He opens the door as someone calls in from the site. "We got bodies! And we got guns too."

Salvaggio shrugs, "No surprises there. Building was occupied but now looks like we got a homicide."

Salvaggio enters followed by McKenna. The command vehicle looks like a cop's dream of a RV. Inside they can see a number of the police are discussing operations. Sgt Fuffinni is on the radio talking to patrol units in the area, nods to McKenna and Salvaggio as they enter the car followed by the others. Detective Pacesee is conferring and updating Detective Bunk Mooreland and Captain Robinson.

Robinson looks up but before he can speak McKenna says, "Assistant US Attorney Claire McKenna, from SDNY. We're here to help, not to take jurisdiction." She offers her hand. "We me are a group of agents, also here to help."

Robinson pauses before accepting the hand, but its more out of politeness than warmth. "That's kind of you but why the interest at all, Counselor?"

" Because the got flagged for being foreign owned, Captain, bought about 7 years ago by one of the UN missions."

"In the Hole?" Asks Pacesee. "Why would anyone want property here?"

"That's what we need to find out, Detective, and why I am here." Says Mckenna. "Chances are that it's just a fire, perhaps even an arson, and maybe the actual owners aren't involved. Could be the local consulate bought and is leasing it out to help make expenses, or maybe its storage, and this is just a fire, maybe accidental maybe intentional, and it's your business.. or maybe their were running a terrorist operation in a place no one gives a crap about but close enough to Manhattan and close to the cargo terminals at JFK that they could store guns and explosives for another terrorist hit, and so it becomes my problem. Whatever this is, we need to know and quick." McKenna pauses for effect, "And I don't need to tell you that I need to keep this quiet until we figure out what this really is about. This is possibly national security gentleman, and we've got foreign interests in place, so we need to keep this strictly quiet or the Attorney General tells me there will be Hell to pay to any involved. We clear?"

Robinson shrugs, "Well if the feds want it they can have it, take the jurisdiction."

McKenna shakes her head, "Not if we don't have to. We make a big entrance and the press finds out, we'll lose any advantage in keeping this quiet, and that might slow us down and complicate matters, Captain, and we can't afford that now. Besides, it might not be a global issue but a local concern, your business. As I mentioned, we are here to help."

Mooreland shrugs. "We got homicides here and its more than I can handle, and it's not like we are getting help from the homicide squad, which has its hands full with recent killings. All the same, I could use the help if we're going to run this down in the next 48."

Outside the van-

Lapis has been following the others, and as he approaches the van Detective Chris Dowd also approaches the van.

"Agent Lapis? Dowd from Port Authority PD Criminal Investigations." Down offers, "You here on a narcotics investigation?"

"Sure I remember," Shaking his hand, "honestly, I am not sure. I've been up in the Bronx and just got pulled into this assignment. Luck of the straw. We were thinking might be a meth fire."

Dowd shakes his head, "If it was, than it was a hell of a lot of chemical that lit the house up. Could be that they were producing but if so, I didn't see any evidence during my investigation. "

A female patrol officer passes by the two men speaking and heads into the command vehicle. From outside they hear the officer say, "We got some bodies in the house, and it looks like guns too."

OCC- Ok players. I've moved this a bit along. Some thoughts. I would encourage that the team begin to split up. Jakob Kaminson and Jackson Conroy should probably be collective physical evidence. Wade is currently calling up the hospitals to find out the condition of victims thus far brought in. Waterhouse should be doing some background checks on the property records of the house and perhaps even local properties. Could be the Saudi's own more than just the ruin. I assume Shaftoe, Gonzalez and Shibatu are with Lapis and McKenna at the command post? Folks feel free to ask questions, Dowd, Salvaggio and the officers inside the command vehicle might be able to answer some questions.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

IIC - Conroy:

Conroy reels a bit from the list of seemingly contradictory requests from the AUSA. He decides the most constructive thing he can do is get down to the scene. And away from the AUSA.

Conroy ducks back to his car and rummages around until he finds his EPA raid jacket, which he throws on. Next are some strong latex gloves. Then he clips his badge to the front of his belt and grabs the portable evidence collection kit, which is in a good quality but used-looking shoulder bag. Bag over shoulder, he heads down towards the explosion site, looking for CSI types already collecting evidence. Anyone he encounters, he greets with a polite nod and "Conroy, EPA."

He's thinking samples of explosive or chemical residue are his first priority, followed by water and soil samples from the close proximity of the exploded building. He makes a mental note to check later for known toxins commonly found everywhere in The Hole so he can rule them out.
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Gonzalez:

Javier gets restless easily and decides he's not needed with the AUSA and her entourage. "I'll see if any locals want to play go-between."

Javier pauses to grab a spare pack of cigarettes out of the Jeep. He pulls out his battered smart phone, hits 'record' on the voice memo recorder, and shoves it back in a top pocket. This is a standard precaution he takes to record conversations that might be important later. Javier clips a police radio to the back of his belt and turns it on low volume. He shoves the earpiece and throat mike attachment in a jacket pocket for now.

Javier picks his way through the detritus, mud and groady water to the distant figures of the local people watching the disaster response.

His approach will be simple and direct. He offers everyone - adult-ish - a cigarette and says, "Hi there, I'm Javi Gonzalez. I'm looking for anyone who's willing to speak for you all and can help us figure out what happened here. People have been hurt and we want to make sure it doesn't happen again." Then he repeats that in Spanish.

Javier's "antennae" are well and truly up. He is very alert for anyone who may become dangerous, but equally anyone giving off subtle signals they may want to assist - but perhaps assist privately. He is well used to informants' needs for privacy in their interactions with authority.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Jakob Kaminski

Jakob held up a hand to get the attention of the officer who had mentioned bodies. ”Can you show me what you have found?” he said. ”In fact, if you can hold on a moment, I will fetch my bag from the car.”

He stepped over to his car and lifted a bag from the trunk, which he swung over his shoulder. Walking back to the officer, he pulled on a pair of rubber gloves and asked her to show him the way.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Harry Shibatu

Harry walked down towards the site of the explosion looking for two things, a 7-11 and any other buildings with clear line of sight to the building that had blown up. There were taller buildings to the East and West but he wasn’t sure whether they would have been close enough for anyone there to have seen anything, but it might be worth a try.
OOC,Exactly which building is the location of the explosion?
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

OCC- The building destroyed was the one noted on the corner of 76th street and Dumont Ave in Google Earth- https://earth.google.com/web/search/76t ... 0RONURnEAI The building is the white two story long building with garages on either side. That building is now a rubble. The bodies will be found among the wreckage. There was, as the Fire Inspector has pointed out, a basement (which is kind of amazing given the area is low and prone to flooding). Note that there are high rise apartments in the distance and that there is the back of a stripmall in the other direction. Also note, busy thoroughfares on either side of this neighborhood. There is a dinner relatively close by (Lindonwood diner) but not in direct visual line with the site of the arson. You might have better luck with the McDonald's which is probably the nearest eatery.

ICC-
___
In the police command vehicle- MNcKenna speaks with the NYPD

McKenna nods. "Captain, my folks are here to help and we'll leave this to you. Our concern here is mostly related to owners of the building and any involvement they might have with the fire. If there is evidence of terrorism, let us know. Likewise, narcotics or other international criminal behavior. This is a matter of national security of the US and our diplomatic efforts abroad. We need to keep this investigation discrete until we know for sure then proceed. So all the federal government is asking that you keep us updated and keep it quiet, and we'll help anyway we can."

The local NY investigators look to each other and nod agreement. Robinson says, "I'll let you know first thing Ms. McKenna, provided the information flows both ways. If you find out anything pertinent on your end, you'll let us know as well. Agreed?"

"Agreed, Captain. Let me know how I can help." Says McKenna.

Sgt. Fuffinni interrupts them. "Looks like we got a body in the rubble."

The Captain and the two detectives leave the van, followed by McKenna.

__
Outside the van- Lapis speaks with Dowd

Lapis steps aside to confer more privately with Dowd. "You are investigating the site?"

Dowd nods, "Yes, but its on-going. But with all we got, might be good for DEA to get involved." He gestures for Lapis to follow him away from the command vehicle and out of earshot from the local police.

Lapis follows but when Dowd stops he asks, "Well we're involved now. So chances are the US Attorneys Office will ask for your records anyway. What do you got?"

"Yeah and it might be a good thing too. We were following up on a request from Interpol to keep an eye on some containers moving through King Abdul Aziz Port in Damman, Saudi. Seems a commercial outfit, Red Wind, had been shipping some containers all over the world. Most of the containers are nothing unusual and nothing illegal. A lot of goods from MENA, some from South Asia and Southeast Asia. Nothing to major or illegal, at least at first." Explains Dowd.

"Probably clued in DEA too." Says Lapis, "But that explains why the Port Authority was called in."

"Right" Says Dowd, "But we're talking a lot of containers. Abdul Aziz is the second busiest port and there are a lot of containers moving through, so DEA let us take point on this. But CIA was also interested.
Thing is some of those containers had been moving narcotics and small arms to different parts of the world, often ending up in war zones. At first it seemed that the containers might be moving goods for the Saudi government, supporting their interests and operations around the Persian Gulf and other regions. But what tipped off INTERPOL was a German raid on a terrorist cell in Munich had received its weapons in a container believed to be moved by Red Wind A bust of a Somali outfit in Manchester revealed a load of khat, tramadol, captagon, hash and even hagigat and weapons that were linked to a shipment from a container believed to be coming from Red Wind. Those are narcotics popular in the Middle East but also popular. So chances are the crew in Manchester were selling these drugs to Middle East expats who were looking to satisfy a craving for something they got at home. So Interpol gets involved. Investigators out of Rotterdam put trackers on some of the Red WInd Containers to build a case, to figure out where these things were going."

"So far I've heard nothing about this investigation" says Lapis, "But that doesn't mean much. Could be just keeping the investigation secure until something shows up. Has anything popped in the States?"

Dowd shakes his head. "So far we've had containers come through Long Beach, LA, Seattle, Norfolk, Miami, Houston.. Nothing. Most of those containers ended up in the usual places, but all over the world and for the most part, totally legit. We had a couple come through the port of NJ. Others are flown through JFK on commercial flights. Most of them check out. So far, most of those cargo have had nothing criminal."

"So maybe Red WInd isn't shipping illegal substances on purpose, but merely putting the cargo on ships and planes, moving them from one port to the other. Simple service provider with no dirt on its hands." Suggests Lapis.

"This is a cargo company. They all got some dirt on them, and they all want to make it seems they got their hands clean." Says Dowd, "At least that's been my experience."

"And that brings you here?"

"Actually THAT brings me here." Down points to one of the trucks, now knocked on its side near the blast site. "That's a Red WInd owned container, meaning that whatever is in it came out of King Abdul Aziz."

"Narcotics?" Asks Lapis.

"Could be. That came in by plane three nights ago from Saudi. And another came through here about three weeks ago from the Container Port in Jersey." Says Dowd, who looks around, " Hide a truck and a container in a neighborhood full of abandoned trucks... it's a bit like hiding a needle in a pile of needles."

___

Conroy and Kaminski approach the crime scene, looking for physical evidence-

Conroy and Kaminski return to the command vehicle having gathered their gear and return to the scene. Even with the rising sun, the area remains clouded with a hazy mix of atmospheric moisture and ash filled smoke. As they gather their gear, another ambulance passes by carrying away another one of the injured. They can feel the warmth of the recent fire still in the stone and masonry that they near the police line and enter the crime scene.

A local police officer guarding the site warns them. "You'll want to wear gas masks if you're going in their. Got some evidence of toxic substances."

The female patrol officer had gone inside the command vehicle to tell the others inside of the dead body. As they approach they can see McKenna, observing from the other side of the police line as Robinson, Salvaggio, Pacesee and Mooreland, their hands covered with gloves and wearing booties, donning face masks with oxygen proceed carefully into the arson site. Nearby one of the NYPD forensics experts and one of the Arson and Explosives experts are inspecting a body that lies broken under a pile of bricks and masonry.

One of the explosives experts points to the body. "Looks like burns for sure, exposure to heat, but I'd guess this one died from the concussion of the blast or the weight of the masonry that fell on him." He points to the mangled frame of a metal bed and tattered mattress. "Probably was sleeping and didn't even know the blast happened. I am guessing on the second floor. Blast knocked the whole floor up into the air, and when it came down it all collapsed."

Salvaggio nods. "Chances are we got more bodies under this."

"Probably" says the Explosive expert. "If I were to guess this looks like a professional demolition job more than an arson related explosion, based on the scatter of the debris field."

Conroy and Kaminski both notice that the damage around the blast seemed more due the concussion of the blast, but there is actually relatively little scattered debris from the explosion. Rather, it seems as if the explosion pulled in most of the house, burying the basement area.

________

Javier seeks a witness-

Javier moves further away from the crime scene looking for witnesses. In the hazy morning, visibility remains difficult but he can make out that the people are generally mixed. Latinos, African-Americans, Whites, most of them look ragged, few are washed, dirty clothing, unkempt hair, traces of drug addiction and homelessness.

They seem to be watching from a distance, staying well aware of the police line and police, curious but cautious, shying away from contact.

Most of the people move away as he approaches, pulling away, sometimes hurriedly, afraid to speak to him or to be spoken to.

One man, White, his hair long and a raggedly long beard, turn and walks away, saying. "They blew up my home man... Where the fuck am I supposed to live now man... Fucking knocked the truck off its wheels.... Agnes and Joe in the hospital already.... Fuck this man... Fuck this.."

One African American woman, her skin dark and her eyes wide, watching the police, notices him approach, asking question, ignores the offered cigarette offered, ignores the questions. "My baby is dead. Just like that.. Don't mean nothin... Don't mean nothin.... Ain't nobody care... Probably better dead than livin like this..."

Javier notices a man on horseback trotting down one of the lanes circling at a distance, watching. The man stops, talks to one of the locals for a few minutes. Javier notes the man is dressed like a cowboy, and even from a distance he can see that on his saddle is a holster with a lever-action rifle and the man has a holstered pistol that looks huge. The man notices Javier and tips his hat to him, then returns his gaze at the crime scene.

Harry checks out google maps for a better sense of the location, notices a nearby McDonald's on Linden Boulevard a few blocks away, as well as a diner, Lindenwood Diner, that is across Linden Boulevard, but in the opposite direction. There is another diner, the Ozone Diner, but that's probably too far and on the other side of the Linden Mall. From what he can tell from Google maps it doesn't seem either site would have had a clear view of the site of the crime scene. But there could be witnesses. In the further distance, is the Brooklyn Queens Nursing home and further away, an old subway station and apartment buildings.

OCC- here's a link to the google map.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/76th+ ... -73.859456

- Anonymous Cannibal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Wade Calls in an update

Each of the investigators receive a message from US Marshal Cheryl Wade, who had called in the local hospitals.

"I've called in both Brookdale and Jamaica Hospital. All the criticals went to Brookdale as well as 9 less critical. Twenty one victims in Jamaica. Local police are taking statements of those who are here but so far little evidence. Most of the dead were killed by the blast and were sleeping near the site of the blast, including 3 squatting in a building near by and two in a car that got rolled over in the explosion. The other dead because they bleed to death because of flying glass or they got hit by flying bits of masonry that pieced their trucks. Most of the critical are suffering wounds caused by flying masonry, metal shrapnel from the blast that pierced the sides of nearby trucks. Most of those injured seemed to have gotten tossed in the trucks they were sleeping, a few are cut up from broken glass or pierced by flying masonry or steel. Most of the injured so far were either in nearby buildings or sleeping in vehicles when the blast happens. So far no one witnessed the person who started the fire. That said, investigation is on-going and the hospitals are pretty busy with the influx of wounded. No reports from the local ME on the dead."

- Anonymous Cannibal
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Jakob Kaminski

”I want to get a closer look,” said Kaminski. He calls over to the command vehicle and gets one of the officers there to bring him a mask.

He swaps his COVID mask for the black rubberised gas mask, wishing he had shaved that morning as the straps were tightened and the seal rubbed against the stubble on his jaw. He put his hand over the ventilator to check the seal and, satisfied that nothing was leaking in or out, he moved up to examine the body. He knelt on his haunches, not touching the body, but carrying out a careful visual check to see if the evidence supported the A&E expert’s initial assessment.
OOC,Can Jakob try a Forensics roll?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Harry Shibatu

Harry made a note of the eateries. Given their locations, he wasn’t expecting any witnesses but it would be worth checking any CCTV recordings to check for anyone arriving or leaving the area at speed around the time of the explosion. He’d ask if the local PD could check it out.

The blocks on Eldert Lane looked to be too far away and, although you couldn’t discount an old coot with a high-powered telescope keeping an eye on the ‘hood, it seemed unlikely that anyone there would be close enough to have seen anything of note. If nothing else came up, it might be worth leafleting.

The offices above the retail units at the corner of Dumont and 78th looked more promising. He didn’t expect to find people working there at the time of the explosion but their was likely to be security staff on the premises this close to The Hole. Calling in his location, he set off in the direction to find someone to talk to.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Conroy:

Heading the warning and having a professional respect for all toxins, Conroy hunts up a gas mask. As soon as he is ready, he heads back to the blast site again and his original objectives. If he can find one, he'll grab a toxic gas detector too.
Last edited by Snapper on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Gonzalez:

This was always a long shot but it had to be tried. Still, the locals seemed too lost to be any help to Gonzalez. Then he sees the cowboy. Now there's something you don't see every day, he thinks. Gonzalez raises an index finger to the corner of his own baseball cap in reply to the cowboy's hat-tip. Turning back to the locals, he fishes out half a dozen business cards and leaves them on a bench. "If anyone thinks of something later, get in touch."

Gonzalez starts making his way towards the man on a horse. He raises a hand in friendly greeting but is keeping a close eye on those weapons. "Hola, vaquero."
OOC:   What's Gonzalez' understanding of gun laws in NYC? Would citizens normally need a permit to carry a firearm in public (I assume)?  
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

OCC-- As per rolling dice... at this point, given the nature of the investigation, you can feel free to see if you are noticing anything exceptional or different. Honestly, I need to get use to using the dice roller we have on the board.

Gun laws in NY- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_ ... Overview_2

ICC-
Kaminski and Conroy

Agent Kaminski looks at the body. The skin has been darkened and ashen, and there seems to be signs of exposure to heat and the fire, but the cause of death of the body seems to reflect the damage done due to the weight of bricks and mortar. It looks as if the man's body was broken in multiple places. The neck twisted and broken and injuries to the skull from bricks. The arms and legs seem bent and bones are protruding from the skin. Numerous heavy objects had landed or fallen. Physically, the injuries seem to match those who have been killed by the crush of weight. Yet the body is relatively high on the debris field, only slightly beneath much of roofing material that seems scattered about. A toxicology report may later reveal if the man had consumed any toxic agents or had consumed a narcotic or some other substance, but that will require some time at the Medical Examiners. The man had no shoes on, seemed be wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt, and was perhaps asleep in bed when the explosion occurred. He is bearded, his hair is dark, and it seems one eye is partially opened and blooded. The man's is stained with soot and ash from the fire, but a quick cleaning would reveal that the man was of a brownish complexion, probably Middle Eastern. He's early middle ages, lean, muscular. There are other scars on his body. From the look the scars look like wounds, one that might be from a knife, two from what appear to be bullets. A large scar seems to have been a tattoo that was removed, perhaps by burning the skin.

Mooreland says, "Probably more bodies under here. Look Egyptian to you?" He asks Kaminski.

Robinson speaks into a radio, "We got to bring in the dogs to see if they can tell if there is anyone still alive under all this brick."

"Our air samples suggest nothing dangerous in the air. You can bring in the dogs." Says Salvaggio says.

A few meters away, Detective Pacesee says, "Looks like we got another body here." The Detective is looking under a long sheet of sheet roofing, "I am guessing female.. late 20s..."

From the other side of the building. "Got one here too... or at least a foot." calls out one of the Arson and Explosives investigators. "Oh, and looks like a gun too."

"Sgt Fuffinni," Says Robinson, into the radio, "We're going to need dog crews here asap."

Conroy meanwhile begins collecting air samples before soil samples and runs a quick test on air quality. He does find strong traces of particulants, asbestos, lead, sulfur, methane, propane and petroleum in the air, but no poison gases of any kind. Many of these gases would correspond with an explosion and there seems to be a gas leak, probably from a broken pipe. A lot of the materials seem to be the burnt residue of building materials that have yet to fully settle. One wouldn't want to remain at the site for an extended period of time as there would be damage to one's lungs, but there are no urgent or immediate threats.

As the smoke continues to clear and day dawns, more light reveals the site. The building was a long white structure that has collapsed, On either end were garages, whose roofs have collapsed and the cars are have been pushed away from the center of the blast. There was a sedan in one garage as well as a taxi, and in the other was a windowless van. The side of the van has been crushed in and the taxi seemed to have been picked up from one side and turned over, pressed against the sedan. The house itself was old, the roofing a mix of metal and aesbestos roofing tiles, common in NY. Most of the construction seems to be wood, brick and cinder block construction, and was painted over multiple times. They can see the ruin of various pieces of furniture, beds, book cases and draws, mostly cheap wood, IKEA, or old used and antique. There doesn't seem to be much in terms of personal belongings, but more might be buried beneath the rubble of the ruined building.

Harry on Dumont-

Harry mentions his requests to a local police office as he continues down Dumont Street. He hears the cop say, "Yeah, I'll pass on your request, no problem" And then as Harry is nearly out of ear shoot he thinks he hears, "Fucking feds can do their own fucking work." When Harry looks back, he can see the police officer calling in the request on his police radio.

Proceeds towards 78th street and Dumont, he passes a three story building to the left and a yard to the right that had been fenced off, but garbage truck had been knocked over, taking out the fence. From the other side of the fence, an old man is looking around at the activity, he seems to be wearing the suit of a security guard, and behind him, Harry can see a number of school buses parked next to each other. Chances are the lot was used as a parking area for a local school district.

Trucks that had filled the empty lot between 76th and 77th street had been knocked over and an ambulance crew is working to remove a person. A small group of people are on the corner outside the three story house. They speak among each other but get quiet and watch as Harry approaches. There is a police unit on the corner, and two policeman keeping the line. The light of an ambulance on the corner bounces of the trucks, people, street.

Past 77th street, wire fences run along the property lines near the street and itself filled with cars, buses, vans and other vehicles. Inside those vehicles, Harry can see people watching as things unfold outside. An old man steps from outside one of the trailers, a small terrier mutt walking at his side. The man is dressed in an old coat, sweater, jeans. He looks at Harry walking past and calls out, "What the hells going on down there? Who set that damn fire? Local kids?"

Harry knows that at 78th street Dumont runs up against the back of the large building. From the street he can see the windows have been blown out, even from this distance. To the left the road continues to a dead end, and to the right it goes towards Linden Blvd, a major thoroughfare in the area.

OCC- Does Harry speak to any of the people he sees?

___

Gonzales and the cowboy

The cowboy gives his horse a nudge and proceeds towards Gonzales, stops near by and says, "Howdy. I'm assuming you are local law enforcement looking into that fire down yonder? I understand damn thing lit up the night before it exploded. Kind of surprised it didn't do more damage, really. All things considered."

The cowboy is an older African American man, a greyish beard and glasses frame his eyes. He's wearing some old blue jeans and a pair of cowboy boots, and a long duster of a coat. "My name is J.B Cooper, but my students usually call me Dr. Cooper or Professor Cooper, I teach over at Colombia on matters of American History. I am also a member of the local chapter of Federation of Black Cowboys, formerly head quartered a few blocks from here. These days we still keep some of our horses at the stables after the government turned the stables over to another organization. But the local chapter has been a regular in these parts for a long time, calling the Hole our organization's home."

Gonzales can actually imagine the man in a class room.

Cooper looks down at the fire. "Can't say I'm surprised about the fire. Probably local kids set it but that's no surprise. Local folks never did to their preaching and trying to convert folks when they started. Then with all the gossip, can't say they were a popular organization even when they were engaged in the community."

____

Lapis and Dowd-

Lapis looks at the truck. "Only three nights ago? Then there is a chance that whatever came in might still be inside."

Dowd nods. "And as we got an arson connected, bodies on the scene, we don't need a warrant to search the truck."

The two men proceed to the turned over truck and inspect the back door. Chained and locked. Dowd says, "No worries." He proceeds to jimmy the lock as Lapis watches.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Harry Shibatu
OOC,He’ll talk to the security guard and the old man.
”Good morning,” says Harry, with a casual wave of greeting to the security guard. ”Did you happen to see what happened here?”

Harry smiles inwardly as he sees the older man approach from the trailer. This could go one of two ways - it could be useful or the old guy could just turn out to be bat crap crazy.

Harry gets down on his haunches and making a clicking noise, put his hand out towards the terrier. Looking up at the old man, he smiles and says, ”Good morning, sir. It really is too early to tell as we’ve only just started our investigations. Do you happen to know anything about the people who were living there?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

IIC - Jakob Kaminski

”Arabic. Not Egyptian,” corrects Jakob absentmindedly, as he examines the body further. He looks up at Mooreland. ”Sorry, I mean the correct terminology is Arabic. Egyptian refers to someone from the country of Egypt and isn’t a description of appearance, per se.”

He points at the large burned area. ”This would have hurt,” he says. ”I wonder why it was removed?”

Jakob doesn’t wait for an answer but stands and moves over to the body uncovered by Detective Pacesee. Again, he drops to haunches for a closer look...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Gonzalez:

Javier nods back in friendly greeting. "Special Agent Javier Gonzalez, DEA. Good to meet you, professor. I'm part of a bunch of different law enforcement agencies here trying to make sense of this."

"I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't heard of the Federation of Black Cowboys but then I'm a Florida boy." He shrugs and smiles.

"Prof, you may be the only reliable witness we've found so far. Can I ask you a few questions?" Javier pulls a pocket notebook and pen out of his jacket.

"A bright flash and then the explosion? Was that just the time it took the sound to travel or do you think the flash in fact came first?"

"And can you tell me a bit about the people who were living in the building? Sounds like you had an idea what they were like. Anything you can tell me will help, we just want to understand what happened and stop it happening again."
OOC:   What can Javier tell about the makes of the professor's weapons? Do they seem like antiques or possibly reenactment props?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

ICC - Conroy:

Conroy, satisfied he's got some basic samples, starts looking for any unusual materials that might be evidence. He begins with a methodical clockwise circuit of the edge of the building's remains. He double checks no one is left, alive or otherwise, in any of the vehicles that were in the garages.

Return to “Joint Task Force - Special Operations”