Chapter 7: Night Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

Somewhat lacking in reason at the moment, Harry continues to blunder around the house after Icarus.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

As Harry Brown, in his reduced mental state, forlornly pursues the statue, the other companions intercept Harry Forby as he reaches the back of the house. He is able to keep ahead of his assailant by pursuing a brisk walk, but a combination of the heat and his reduced physical condition means that the gap may be closed.

Seeing the companions, he calls out;

“To the quarry! We’ll lead it there!”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde lights the way with her lantern, “Where’s Harry? Is he okay?” She pants as she meets with the others and Mr Forby. “Mr Forby, do you plan to lure it over the edge somehow?” She hasn’t been to the quarry yet and can only imagine what it might be like.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Miss Miller had another idea," says Alexander. "We could lead it to the ice house. Nicholas Forby's statues always became brittle and cracked in the cold."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Forby glances fearfully behind him at the pursuing statue as the party approaches the hill.

“If we use the ice house, how to we get the bugger in there? There’s only one door” he says.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, we'd have to go inside," says Alexander, running alongside him. "We could circle around him and try to get out and trap him inside, or we could make our stand inside."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“You haven’t seen it, have you?" says Forby, breathing heavily. “It’s not big enough to contain us all. And it will probably take time for the statue to become affected by the cold. It will follow me inside, but I doubt I could get out again in one piece. I’d rather take my chances at the quarry.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“The icehouse does sound rather risky and you’d problem freeze faster than the statue!” Isolde’s lantern casts eerie shadows on the trees overhead. “Is there anywhere in the quarry where you can trick the statue to go over the edge, Mr Forby?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

“The quarry sounds like the best option!” huffed Vic, looking over her shoulder to see where Icarus was.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry follows behind Icarus, keeping some distance between them. He continues to hear a voice emanating from Icarus, cursing and threatening Forby but he has given up trying to communicate with it and lapses into troubled silence.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right, the quarry it is then," says Alexander, trying to keep up with the others.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Forby manages to lead the party to the quarry, but he is visibly exhausted by now and the statue is not far behind. There is not much time.

The quarry looms up, a dark and featureless hole stretching before them. The ground is rocky and unstable here.

“I’ll go out on the edge” says Forby. “It’s loose and his weight should count against him. I’ll go alone – no sense in putting all of you in danger.”

With a final nod, and a look back at the remorseless statue, he begins walking to the lip of the quarry.
OOC,Will anyone insist on accompanying him?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,I don't think Harry is yet in a fit state to make those sort of plans. So we have any rope or anything else we could use to secure him? I presume Forby's too tired to run around to the far side to get it to try and wade across?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,How far behind is Icarus?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Just choose a solid bit of rock to leap for, Mr Forby. I’ll try to light the area for you. Alexander, did you bring any rope?” Isolde lifts the lantern as high as she can so that Forby can choose the best place to stand. She’ll stand so that she is the other side of Forby from the statue’s path.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, here it is," says Alexander, removing it from his shoulder. "I think I know what you're thinking." He ties one end of the rope around Harry Forby's waist and the other to a sturdy rock outcropping or boulder.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander has barely tied one end of the rope to Forby when the statue approaches. Forby quickly runs to the quarry edge, the statue almost upon him. As the companions make no threat to it, it ignores them, intent on its victim. Alexander quickly ties the other end of the rope fast.

Forby slips and stumbles as the statue reaches out to him. Unable to get up, the last thing the companions see is Forby’s terrified face as the arms bear down on him. Then he disappears, and the slack on the rope suddenly begins to tighten.

The statue, propelled by its own momentum, disappears over the edge. Soon after, the companions hear a splash.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde looks fearfully at the others and then starts to walk towards the edge intending to light up the chasm with her lantern ,if possible, so they can see what’s happened. She also looks to see if the rope is taut...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

In the light, Isolde sees Harry Forby clinging to the side of the quarry, desperately trying to find some purchase. The rope is supporting him, but he obviously needs help. He can't hold on much longer.

"Help me!"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic harrumphed loudly as Alexander and Harry looked on and dashed over to help pull Forby to safety...

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”