Chapter 7: Night Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Tuesday 9th August, 1881

9.00 pm

Forby House

Forby flinches as Alexander mentions his shotgun.

“Is that really necessary, Alexander? What are you going to shoot? Please everyone, the dogs are just excited. Let’s not worry unduly.”

Forby seems energized by the events. He sends Bates and Meddler off to prepare lanterns and candles for everyone, and Gertrude goes to make sure George is in bed before joining the party.

Eventually everyone is ready, and the party sets off on the short journey to the rose garden, where the statue of Icarus lays gleaming in the lamplight. It is as it was before, covered in verdigris but otherwise in good repair. It seems undisturbed.

Present are our companions, Forby, Meddler, Gertrude and Bates. Meddler approaches and shines his lantern over the statue.

“Where would this treasure be located, do you think?” he asks.
OOC,Please let me know what equipment you might want to have with you. aine, you can be with the party or stay in George's room if you wish.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Post by Philulhu »

Vic,Vic will have sneaked out when no-one was watching and is hovering in the background, with the poker from the fire in her hand...
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Isolde has grown quite fond of the small boy and is concerned that whatever happens tonight, he is kept safe. She sits quietly in the dark window seat of George’s bedroom watching the scene below. She can only see what the lanterns light up: the familiar figures clustered around the gleaming bulk of the statue.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll bring a lantern (lit), some rope (over my shoulder), matches (in my pocket), a magnifying glass (in my pocket), and I will bring my shotgun.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

I suggest we start cleaning off the verdigris suggests Harry. I suspect the household staff will have the best idea how to go about doing that efficiently.'
OOC,Harry would look for some tools that might be able to penetrate the metal statue, a pickaxe, heavy hammer, files, chisels, that sort of thing
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Verdigris is a kind of corrosion. It won't be easy to remove.
Bates finds a hammer and a chisel with which to affect entry, and gives them to Harry.

“It will take hours to clean this!” protests Meddler. “Even if anyone knows how”.

He shakes his head, and turns to Forby.

Harry, if you don’t mind, let’s give this a whack, and see what happens. Maybe it’s hollow. Mr. Brown, may I have your hammer and chisel?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Well I had hoped a bit of flour and vinegar and a lot of elbow grease would reveal a sign of where to look, but if Mr Forby is happy to damage the statue...' he hands Meddler the hammer and chisel, 'I believe bronzes are hollow.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic glanced around warily, looking for any threats in the darkness.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Meddler places the chisel against the statue’s chest and gives it a gentle tap.

The statue’s eyes flick open.

In the light from the lamps, a pair of green, quite human eyes can be seen. The mouth opens with a sound like a gasp to reveal a set of white teeth.

Meddler gives a shout of absolute shock. With a gurgling sound, he stands upright, the hammer and chisel falling from his hands. His face is white and his eyes seems to bulge from his face. Without another word, he turns and belts through the garden, towards the ornamental lake.

Forby, Gertrude and Bates all give gasps of horrified amazement. Bates crosses himself and the Forbys instinctively clutch each other.

“What…” Forby manages to gasp.
OOC,All bar Isolde must roll SAN at this terrifying sight. If you pass, lose 1 SAN. If you fail, roll 1d8 SAN loss. Isolde will be able to hear the gasps and know that something is wrong. The Forbys and Bates passed, but Meddler failed and lost 6 points. He has gone temporarily insane.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Sanity 50%,[dice]0[/dice],SAN loss if needed [dice]1[/dice]
Harry gives a strangled cry, 'The Green Man!' He takes up the hammer and chisel but backs away from the statue.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

SAN,(60%) - [dice]0[/dice] 1 SAN lost.
Vic gasped in shock and stepped back warily. ”What on earth?!” she spluttered. ”Is... is that Lehmann?!”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde hears the gasps but can see nothing untoward. Has the treasure revealed itself already? she wonders and then is alarmed to see Meddler running towards the lake.

Surely it would be quicker to get water from the house! She watches Meddler disappear into the dark night. Or has Harry finally accused him of being the Green Man? Confused, she cranes her neck out of the open window.
Ooc,Awesome!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What?!" splutters Alexander. "What?!"
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 83) for seeing the Green Man: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The statue, with a screeching, groaning sound, begins to rise up off the plinth. In the light of the moon and the lamps, it’s greenish colour gives an ethereal, unearthly glow. The eyes do not blink, and the mouth is set in a hideous grin. The head turns and the gaze fixes on Harry Forby. The statue rises and stands, and begins moving towards him.

“It is the Green Man!” gasps Forby. “He’s come for me, like he did my father and my grandfather!”

Recovering himself, he shouts Bates! Get Gertrude to the house! Quickly!”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Mr Forby, it seems to be after you!' shouts Harry, 'Get into the house and upstairs with Gertrude and George. Mr Bates, bolt and barricade the doors.'

Harry circles around behind Icarus with the hammer and chisel raised, trying to gauge how quickly the statue moves.

'Now might be the time for that shotgun Dr Campbell'.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Incredulously, Isolde watches the statue as it moves jerkily off the plinth, "No, no no! Oh, stupid, stupid! Harry Forby why did you not heed me?" She whispers in horror as it starts to move towards him.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bates starts to drag Gertrude back towards the house, although she is unwilling to leave her husband.

“Go!” Forby shouts. “See to George and the women!”

He backs up slowly as the statue starts moving towards him. Despite the corrosion, it seems to be able to move at a normal rate, despite the jerkiness of its motions.

“Please, Mrs. Forby!” cries Bates desperately.

Bates manages to pull Gertrude with him and they run to the front door.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

In the most commanding voice he can muster, Harry shouts 'Christopher Lehman stop!'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The statue continues moving, intent on Harry Forby, who decides that he’d better get out of there too. His fear helps him forget his physical woes and he is able to move without his cane. He staggers in the direction of the house.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry decides that he needs to act before the statue reaches Mr Forby. He approaches the rear of Icarus, raises the hammer and attempts to drive the chisel through the back of the statue.
OOC,Not sure what that would be to roll, maybe Large Club (25%), [dice]0[/dice]Ah, damn it. I forget, is it only 100 that's a fumble in 6th Edition?

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”