Chapter 6: Day Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 6: Day Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I think the cache of papers referred to by Aleister Forby are the very same rediscovered by myself and Miss Miller. They are from Nicholas Forby and do indeed indicate how to find the treasure. But I suspect it is not that which so exercised Aleister Forby but rather...ahem...other information it contained about his parents' relationship. But there is also reference to 'the green eyed rooster's egg' whatever that might mean. I certainly don't mean to say the "Green Man" killed anyone, I was just wondering what Aleister Forby might have meant by knowing the truth of it given we don't think he meant that literally.'

Harry looks thoughtful, 'I'll concede that suicide seems most likely for Aleister Forby's death but we know for a fact someone is trying to scare Harry Forby, I for one have wondered if he could be being poisoned, and Aleister Forby seemed to think someone, or something was after him.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde looks doubtful, “ I don’t know; it reads as if Aleister is almost expecting to die: he expects to be murdered. It doesn’t then make sense that he dies by his own hand. Unless he is possessed by something that forces his hand to pull the trigger.“ she shakes her head.
“As for Harry, I donot understand why he has been prescribed such a dull diet and such a dull regime; why, he wasn’t even allowed to parttake of tea with his family. A lightening of spirits would be a tonic for him. Dr Jeffries, can you help me with this? And what medicine have you prescribed him?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“I really don’t think now is the time to be discussing Harry’s diet” says Jeffries irritably. “And he’s not being poisoned – he displays no such symptoms. Harry claims to have seen the Green Man – recently and around the time of his father’s death. If someone is trying to frighten him, it’s working, but to what end? The treasure? If you know its location, I strongly suggest that you retrieve it as soon as possible!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, my thoughts exactly," says Alexander. "We can't actually reveal its location until sunset, but we intend to do so then in the presence of the Forbys. We know what room it's in, but not yet the exact hiding place within that room. The papers we found contain a riddle that I believe I've solved that will allow us to expose the treasure at that time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jeffries stands up.

“Excellent! Well, you have a few hours to wait. I want to know the nature of this secret which has been troubling us all these years! Tell the Forbys that I will look in on them tomorrow.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”We will,” replied Vic. “Thank you for your time today.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your time and your help, Doctor," adds Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jeffries sees the investigators out, and they begin the walk back to Forby Manor. The heat has not relented, but the sun is beginning to set so at least they do not have to walk under its merciless glare.

After about ten minutes however they see a familiar figure coming towards them, albeit one wearing an expression of concern.

“Good afternoon”
says Bates, as he draws near. “I’m on my way to look for Connie. She was supposed to have returned by now. You haven’t seen her, by chance?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry, I haven't," says Alexander. "Not since she left at lunchtime. Where was she headed?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“She was visiting family who live in a farmhouse nearby. I’m on my way there now – I didn’t want to cut through the fields at my age, so I took the road. We’re quite worried, it’s not like her to be late at all. Would you mind accompanying me?”

Bates' face is full of worry.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I'll go with ye," says Alexander. "The Forbys will understand why we're late, and we can explain it when we get back. It's too bad this area isna wired for telephones yet like London is starting to be. If it were, we could call from Dr. Jeffries's place and let them know."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bates brightens up and leads the investigators back the way they came. Before they reach the village Bates turns into a lane and eventually they reach a well-kept farmhouse.

The door is opened by a kindly-looking woman, who opens her mouth in surprise.

Mr. Bates! Whatever are you doing here?” she exclaims.

“I’m looking for Connie, Mrs. Woods. She’s not back yet.”

“She left about an hour and a half ago. I told her to take the road, but she said she didn’t want to be late. She was going to cut through the woods.”

“We’ll head that way then.”

Bates leads the way across the fields as the shadows lengthen. Approaching the woods bordering the Forby property, the companions can see a human form, lying in the grass.

Connie!” shouts Bates.

Hurrying towards her, he kneels next to her.

“She’s alive!”
OOC,Roll First Aid or Medicine to revive Connie.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic knelt next to Connie, checking her breathing and feeling for a pulse. She tapped the young woman’s cheek and spoke her name to try to bring her round.
First Aid,First Aid (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic’s administrations bring Connie around, and she sits up suddenly with a gasp. She looks frightened out of her wits, but the sight of Bates calms her down. However, despite questioning, she seems unfocused and is unable to speak.

“We’d better get her back home” says Bates. “She’s in shock.”

With the companions supporting her, the party is able to make its way through the wood and back to Forby Manor, where Connie’s condition is greeted with a great deal of shock and concern.

Eventually, after being consigned to her bed and with the help of hot tea and brandy, she is able to recount what happened.

“I was crossing through the spinney, and I saw a man, naked, but he was all green, and his head was… wrong, it weren’t like any man. He was rolling in the grass and bellowing like an animal. I just ran and kept running till I was back in the field, and that’s all I remember.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry looks pointedly at the others, 'Is Lt Meddler back? Perhaps we should go and investigate.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Did he touch you in any way or did you just faint?” asked Vic.
OOC,Where is the Spinney in relation to the house?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It's past the ice house.
“No” says Connie. “I don’t even know if he… it… saw me”.

“She’d better rest” says Gertrude, shooing everyone out.

Mrs. Bates stays with Connie while Gertrude asks Bates to gather the companions and the rest of the household , bar George, in the dining room.

Harry Forby arrives, supported by Meddler.

“What on earth has been going on?” he asks. “Is Connie well? What did she see? Was it…?’

He leaves the sentence unfinished, but his fear is plain to see.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Brown looks long and hard at Meddler, trying to see any sign of the 'green' colouring, or mud but he is immaculately dressed as always. 'Should we go and check to make sure this individual is not still at large?'
OOC,Spot Hidden 60% if needed [dice]0[/dice] FAIL
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Perhaps if we take the dog, he might be able to find the scent and follow any trail left by this ‘green man’,” suggested Vic.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Green Man?" Forby exclaims. "She saw the Green Man?"

He staggers, and Meddler has to steady him.

"Harry!" says Gertrude, rushing to him. "We will deal with this. I want you to go back to bed."

"Come on, old chap" says Meddler. "We should get you upstairs. No arguments now!"

Gertrude looks back over her shoulder.

"Please wait hear for me" she says, as she and her brother lead Harry away.

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”