Chapter 2: Day One

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 2: Day One

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Oh dear, I could have sworn he said you would have the key, well, never mind'. Harry puts his hand in his pocket and feels the reassuring outline of his lock picks, he makes a rather elaborate show of looking in his other pocket, 'oh bother, I seem to have dropped something, I will just retrace my steps and be back in a minute'

He strolls nonchalantly back to the mausoleum, runs his hands over a few carvings appreciatively, and casually tries his picks on the lock.
Harry Locksmith: 51,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Is it really necessary to break in? Why not just ask Harry for the key as Meddler suggested? Then you can all have a look.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Not really, I was only going to see if I could open it and then I'd be able to come and take a look later if we couldn't get the key - I had a hunch he might say no
As the last pin clicked into place Harry tried the handle which turned easily. 'Still got it' he laughed to himself. He quickly locked the door again and turned to walk back to the others. After all, it would be rude to just break in to a gentleman's property without asking first. However, Mr Forby was currently somewhat unpredictable and Harry always liked to have a backup plan.
Last edited by Mephistophilis on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"We can always come back to the mausoleum this evening after dinner." Isolde with a strange glint in her eye. "It will be dark at any time of day. I feel we need to hurry up with finding the treasure if there are other people looking for it too."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Perhaps we need to go back and study Mr Forby’s papers some more?” suggested Vic. “We don’t really seem to have an idea of where to look so that might give us some clues.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, further research is in order," agrees Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Harry won't object to providing the key. Are you sure you want to visit the mausoleum in the dark?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'We still have to take a look at the ice house and quarry. Best we do that in the light then we could do a bit more research in the house. I would rather not look around the mausoleum at night' shivers Harry, 'it can wait until tomorrow I'm sure'.
OOC,If there's no objection I'll take my last entry out of the OOC tags into a normal entry and Harry will have locked the door again
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, then, we'll use the light while we've got it," says Alexander. "The books aren't going anywhere, and I can always do research by candlelight. Though I think electricity would make a far more efficient light source."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Fred agrees to fetch the key, and about twenty minutes later the companions are back at the mausoleum.

Harry unlocks the door, which creaks slowly open to reveal a square chamber with empty wall niches for coffins. On the walls are carved friezes of Forby House as it must have been in Nicholas’ time, with the sculpture of Icarus depicted in the center of a smooth lawn. Behind the house, a curious hollow in the ground is represented.

In the center of the vault is a stone sarcophagus, bearing the name Nicholas Forby. The panels are carved with biblical and other scenes; there is Saturn devouring his young, Leviathan, Lazarus rising from the dead, and Christ casting demons into a herd of pigs. The detail is evocative and quite grotesque.
OOC,Roll SAN on viewing the carvings! If you fail, you lose 1 SAN point.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Brown shuddered at the sight of the carvings, there was something malevolent about the work, as if the sculptor took some kind of pleasure in the grotesque scenes.
Harry Sanity 50,[dice]0[/dice]
'I am very glad we did not follow your suggestion to come here in the dark Isolde'. Harry strikes a match and holds it up to the frieze, 'what do you suppose that hole is supposed to be? I wonder if we could find its location now?'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde smiles, "Yes, these friezes are macabre enough in the daytime, I'm glad we got the key now. Look, no roses are depicted here. And we might be able to find the hollow; can you use your scientific methods, Alexander?" She looks carefully at the artwork; is it the same style as the work outside?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic walked around the mausoleum, slightly awestruck at the depictions within. They seemed the product of a talented, if disturbed, mind. Looking carefully at the hollow, she said to Alexander, ”This seems to have some significance. Do you think the hollow is still there?”
OOC,SAN check (60%) - [dice]0[/dice] Tweaked my original post, given Fred’s absence.
Last edited by Philulhu on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He was quite the striking artist," says Alexander. He goes over to examine the carving showing the hollow. "Aye, let me work out where exactly this is on the grounds."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 83) for seeing the carvings: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry, Fred isn’t there. Isolde still needs a SAN roll.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde sanity,[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by aine on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Sorry, Fred isn’t there. Isolde still needs a SAN roll.
OOC,I’ve amended Vic’s post so she talks to Alexander.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The spoiler button for Isolde's Sanity will not open because there is an apostrophe in the spoiler button's display text. It's okay to have apostrophes inside the spoiler button, but if the display text contains them, the button will not open. You can still read the contents by quoting or editing a post, but you can't see what the dice roll results are that way. You should edit the spoiler button text to remove the apostrophe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Thanks everyone for your adjustments and edits. Sorry, I've been away last couple of days. What would you like to do now? Will you explore the mausoleum further? Or go back to the house with your questions? The time is now about 4pm and there is plenty of daylight left, but the companions will be feeling quite tired from the day's heat. If you have the patience, it's worth reading through the thoughts and actions you've already had and taken - it's easy to forget small details which might be important because of the length this format of playing forces us to undergo. 我慢!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I wanted to find the location on the grounds corresponding to where the hollow was depicted in the carvings and see if anything is there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”