Friendly chat

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Friendly chat

Post by Mr. Handy »

I never even suspected that Christopher Lehman could be inside the statue. What facts do we know about his death? Do we know where he's supposed to be buried? Was it in the crypt?

I agree that Meddler is most likely the one behind what's happening to Harry Forby, but we will need to find proof before we can do anything about it.

The treasure is an emerald (visible in one of the portraits). I don't remember the riddle too well, but that's what I think the solution is to find it, and I think we have to wait until evening to do it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'm wondering now about whether the treasure is really an emerald. Maybe it is some form of knowledge represented metaphorically by the emerald - which is green - like envy or jealousy ('the green eyed monster'), perhaps the treasure is knowledge of his own parentage?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nothing Harry can do about it but re-reading chapter 2 this leaps out:
“The statues are all the work of Nicholas Forby” says Meddler. “He was interested in the Classics, so all you see are interpretations of those figures. I believe there was some kind of weakness in his casting technique, so all the statues have a tendency to crack due to cold.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

There’s an ice house...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

We'll I'm sure Icarus will be happy to go and take a look if Harry suggests it to him!

Incidentally, was there ice in the ice house, I'd better have a look back, Harry checked it out.

ETA - yep, ice.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

The mystery is finally over - thank you all for playing and sustaining your interest. Although the treasure, whatever it was, could not be recovered, the Forbys are safe and the curse is lifted. Please award your characters 1d8 SAN for destroying the statue, and 1d6 SAN for saving Harry Forby. You can roll 1d6 Credit Rating increase too, as Forby will no doubt be an enthusiastic supporter of the group, and it's reputation will grow. Please roll for skill increases too.

Sorry there was no Cthulhu in that one! It was more of a gothic horror, but I hope you enjoyed it. I will see if I have anymore gaslight adventures, and if you want to reprise your characters, please let me know.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and thank you for running it. It was fun, and I'd be interested in playing Alexander again. Is there a list recorded anywhere of which skills we've successfully used?

Sanity increase (current level 79):
[dice]0[/dice]+[dice]1[/dice]

Credit Rating increase (current skill 26%):
[dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sorry, you'll have to trawl through the threads if you haven't made a note.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Thanks that was fun, for all my assertions there was a body in the statue I was rather surprised when it got up and moved!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

That was a good deduction to realise the statue was the location of Christopher Lehman. If indeed that was him, it was never proved!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'm imagining a story set 100 years later, the new owner of the house decides to drain the quarry.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Thanks, Honeydog. That was very good.

Let me know if you plan to involve the society in any other investigations. I’m sure Vic’s interest is piqued by what she’s seen :)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks guys. I’m looking at a scenario now which I can run. It will be a bit more dangerous than this one though. Raiko would like to rejoin and reprise his Melody character.

100 years later perhaps George’s grandson will ‘develop’ the property. It would set in the 1980s, the most horrific era known to humanity, in cultural terms anyway. They will discover the broken body of Darren Forby, askew on the decking outside the house.

The statue could feasibly return. Actually, it wouldn't have taken that much to finish it off - Alexander and Fred's attacks had done a lot of damage. But it was lethal; you were very lucky not to get killed. I sacrificed Fred, who met his end in the written scenario in a different way.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Another fine and thrilling adventure for the Seekers of Enlightenment- and we all survived this time! I too was imagining the future in the quarry; maybe BSAC training sessions find more than the usual burnt out car...

Thank you very much, Honey Dog, I’ll look forward to the next time.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Rolls,Hide (10%): 50% check [dice]0[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]1[/dice] Locksmith (01%): 51% check [dice]2[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]3[/dice] Own Language (55%) check [dice]4[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]5[/dice] Psychology (05%) check [dice]6[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]7[/dice] Sneak (10%): 70% check [dice]8[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]9[/dice] Spot Hidden (25%): 60% check [dice]10[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]11[/dice] Grapple (25%): 65% check [dice]12[/dice] improvement if fail check [dice]13[/dice] Sanity: + [dice]15[/dice]+[dice]16[/dice] Credit Rating: +[dice]14[/dice]
I think Harry might need some residual mental disorder to go with his temporary insanity.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Perhaps a phobia of statues? Or automatonophobia - fear of human-like figures (includes mannequins, wax dummies etc. too).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. Yeah, the shotgun alone did 34 damage, though I don't know how much the armor deducted from it. The statue also rolled high for damage on its attacks.

I'll have to wait until the weekend to go through the threads and find out which skills I used successfully, as I don't have time during the week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

If you're all playing, plus Raiko, I'll try to recruit one more player, so we probably won't be ready until next week. I'll finish reading the scenario tonight.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

I'm looking forward to joining in again for the next instalment! :D I'm in a better position to post regularly these days, so should be able to keep up better - and I think Melody is my favourite character.

Melody has been away helping her mother convalesce after another bout of illness - she never did fully recover from Cholera.

I'm glad that Alexander has made it to the end, otherwise she'd have to ask whether Isolde needed a house keeper! ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

We’re glad to have Melody back!

The next adventure is ‘Signs Writ in Scarlet’, another from the Sacraments of Evil collection (don’t peek!). It’s entirely East London set, so expect lots of rhyming slang me old china, gor blimey an’ no mistake. It’s a lot more challenging than the previous ones and will be dangerous. But I think it will suit the characters’ skills quite well.

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”