Page 1 of 1

Chapter 7: Night Three

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 am
by HoneyDog
Tuesday 9th August, 1881

9.00 pm

Forby House

Forby flinches as Alexander mentions his shotgun.

“Is that really necessary, Alexander? What are you going to shoot? Please everyone, the dogs are just excited. Let’s not worry unduly.”

Forby seems energized by the events. He sends Bates and Meddler off to prepare lanterns and candles for everyone, and Gertrude goes to make sure George is in bed before joining the party.

Eventually everyone is ready, and the party sets off on the short journey to the rose garden, where the statue of Icarus lays gleaming in the lamplight. It is as it was before, covered in verdigris but otherwise in good repair. It seems undisturbed.

Present are our companions, Forby, Meddler, Gertrude and Bates. Meddler approaches and shines his lantern over the statue.

“Where would this treasure be located, do you think?” he asks.
OOC,Please let me know what equipment you might want to have with you. aine, you can be with the party or stay in George's room if you wish.

Re: Chapter 7: Night Three

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 am
by Philulhu
Vic,Vic will have sneaked out when no-one was watching and is hovering in the background, with the poker from the fire in her hand...

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am
by aine
Isolde has grown quite fond of the small boy and is concerned that whatever happens tonight, he is kept safe. She sits quietly in the dark window seat of George’s bedroom watching the scene below. She can only see what the lanterns light up: the familiar figures clustered around the gleaming bulk of the statue.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll bring a lantern (lit), some rope (over my shoulder), matches (in my pocket), a magnifying glass (in my pocket), and I will bring my shotgun.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
I suggest we start cleaning off the verdigris suggests Harry. I suspect the household staff will have the best idea how to go about doing that efficiently.'
OOC,Harry would look for some tools that might be able to penetrate the metal statue, a pickaxe, heavy hammer, files, chisels, that sort of thing

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Verdigris is a kind of corrosion. It won't be easy to remove.
Bates finds a hammer and a chisel with which to affect entry, and gives them to Harry.

“It will take hours to clean this!” protests Meddler. “Even if anyone knows how”.

He shakes his head, and turns to Forby.

Harry, if you don’t mind, let’s give this a whack, and see what happens. Maybe it’s hollow. Mr. Brown, may I have your hammer and chisel?”

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:19 am
by Mephistophilis
'Well I had hoped a bit of flour and vinegar and a lot of elbow grease would reveal a sign of where to look, but if Mr Forby is happy to damage the statue...' he hands Meddler the hammer and chisel, 'I believe bronzes are hollow.'

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 am
by Philulhu
Vic glanced around warily, looking for any threats in the darkness.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler places the chisel against the statue’s chest and gives it a gentle tap.

The statue’s eyes flick open.

In the light from the lamps, a pair of green, quite human eyes can be seen. The mouth opens with a sound like a gasp to reveal a set of white teeth.

Meddler gives a shout of absolute shock. With a gurgling sound, he stands upright, the hammer and chisel falling from his hands. His face is white and his eyes seems to bulge from his face. Without another word, he turns and belts through the garden, towards the ornamental lake.

Forby, Gertrude and Bates all give gasps of horrified amazement. Bates crosses himself and the Forbys instinctively clutch each other.

“What…” Forby manages to gasp.
OOC,All bar Isolde must roll SAN at this terrifying sight. If you pass, lose 1 SAN. If you fail, roll 1d8 SAN loss. Isolde will be able to hear the gasps and know that something is wrong. The Forbys and Bates passed, but Meddler failed and lost 6 points. He has gone temporarily insane.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Sanity 50%,[dice]0[/dice],SAN loss if needed [dice]1[/dice]
Harry gives a strangled cry, 'The Green Man!' He takes up the hammer and chisel but backs away from the statue.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 pm
by Philulhu
SAN,(60%) - [dice]0[/dice] 1 SAN lost.
Vic gasped in shock and stepped back warily. ”What on earth?!” she spluttered. ”Is... is that Lehmann?!”

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:42 pm
by aine
Isolde hears the gasps but can see nothing untoward. Has the treasure revealed itself already? she wonders and then is alarmed to see Meddler running towards the lake.

Surely it would be quicker to get water from the house! She watches Meddler disappear into the dark night. Or has Harry finally accused him of being the Green Man? Confused, she cranes her neck out of the open window.
Ooc,Awesome!

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"What?!" splutters Alexander. "What?!"
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 83) for seeing the Green Man: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:21 am
by HoneyDog
The statue, with a screeching, groaning sound, begins to rise up off the plinth. In the light of the moon and the lamps, it’s greenish colour gives an ethereal, unearthly glow. The eyes do not blink, and the mouth is set in a hideous grin. The head turns and the gaze fixes on Harry Forby. The statue rises and stands, and begins moving towards him.

“It is the Green Man!” gasps Forby. “He’s come for me, like he did my father and my grandfather!”

Recovering himself, he shouts Bates! Get Gertrude to the house! Quickly!”

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Mr Forby, it seems to be after you!' shouts Harry, 'Get into the house and upstairs with Gertrude and George. Mr Bates, bolt and barricade the doors.'

Harry circles around behind Icarus with the hammer and chisel raised, trying to gauge how quickly the statue moves.

'Now might be the time for that shotgun Dr Campbell'.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:21 pm
by aine
Incredulously, Isolde watches the statue as it moves jerkily off the plinth, "No, no no! Oh, stupid, stupid! Harry Forby why did you not heed me?" She whispers in horror as it starts to move towards him.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
Bates starts to drag Gertrude back towards the house, although she is unwilling to leave her husband.

“Go!” Forby shouts. “See to George and the women!”

He backs up slowly as the statue starts moving towards him. Despite the corrosion, it seems to be able to move at a normal rate, despite the jerkiness of its motions.

“Please, Mrs. Forby!” cries Bates desperately.

Bates manages to pull Gertrude with him and they run to the front door.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
In the most commanding voice he can muster, Harry shouts 'Christopher Lehman stop!'

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:20 pm
by HoneyDog
The statue continues moving, intent on Harry Forby, who decides that he’d better get out of there too. His fear helps him forget his physical woes and he is able to move without his cane. He staggers in the direction of the house.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry decides that he needs to act before the statue reaches Mr Forby. He approaches the rear of Icarus, raises the hammer and attempts to drive the chisel through the back of the statue.
OOC,Not sure what that would be to roll, maybe Large Club (25%), [dice]0[/dice]Ah, damn it. I forget, is it only 100 that's a fumble in 6th Edition?

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander raises his shotgun and blasts the green man.
OOC,Shotgun roll (70% skill) shooting at the Green Man: [dice]0[/dice] Damage from shotgun: [dice]1[/dice] If that wasn't enough to bring him down, can I fire the second barrel this round?

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:28 pm
by Philulhu
Vic winced as the shotgun went off, its bark loud in the night air. She ducked behind Harry to see what happened next...

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
The chisel clangs off the statue's furred back and clatters to the ground.
OOC,Harry & Vic are behind the statue - where is Alexander standing when he shoots it? He can fire his other barrel as it will still be coming, but he must be careful not to hit the others.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I hadn't moved from where I was before. If the statue is moving away from me, then its back would be to me. If I need to move to a new position to get a clear shot, I'll do that.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:50 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,We can assume that Alexander waited until Harry was out of the way before he fired! Go ahead and give Icarus another barrel, but if it's still functioning, it'll attack, and I warn you all that it is very strong.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander moves so that nobody else is in the line of fire and lets the animated statue have it with the second barrel.
OOC,Shotgun roll (70% skill) shooting at the Green Man again: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to Green Man: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:30 am
by HoneyDog
The statue staggers as the shotgun blasts pellet it, shearing the bronze covering away. Beneath, the companions can see the white of what is clearly human bone – the spine is clearly visible. Icarus turns to face the companions, now intent on those who assault it.
OOC,Please roll SAN at this sickening site before you take any other actions. Lose 1 point if you pass, roll 1d6 if you fail. After your reactions, Icarus will then attack. You have been warned!

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:10 am
by aine
So much for something creeping in and abducting George as Isolde had first imagined; the horror had been right in front of them all this time. She leans out of the window,
“Fire! Try fire! “ she shouts and then ducks back in to deal with George should he wake.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:19 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Sanity 49%,[dice]0[/dice], SAN loss if necessary [dice]1[/dice] UH OH!
Harry Idea 40%,[dice]2[/dice] SOMEONE'S GOING INSANE

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,That's unfortunate. Please roll 1d10+4 to see how many rounds he will be out of it for. Hopefully it won't be long. Do you have any ideas about what the nature of Harry's insanity might be? Otherwise, we can roll 1d10 to randomise it.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:00 am
by Philulhu
SAN,(59%) - [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss - 1.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:13 am
by Philulhu
OOC,OK, edited that out. How fast is Icarus moving?

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Insanity,Rounds insane [dice]0[/dice] I wondered whether Harry might start having hallucinatory conversations with Christopher Lehman in the guise of Icarus - try and persuade him to leave Forby alone

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Icarus is moving at a steady walking pace, he hasn’t (yet) moved any faster than that. Whether he can or not is something you don’t currently know…
Harry,Sure, that sounds like a good idea. So he’s not going to take part in the action until he comes to his senses.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:58 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry sees the bone embedded in the bronze, it glistens in the lamplight. So he was right, Nicholas Forby encased his rival in the strange statue, it must be his tortured spirit animating this modern day golem.

He stares at the blank face, coated in verdigris, the unsettling green eyes.
OOC,The eyes suddenly shift and focus on [b]Harry[/b], [color=#008000]'Be gone from this place'[/color] hisses Icarus, the voice emanating from the figure but oddly disconnected from the articulations of the fixed, smiling mouth.
No, Christopher, you must stop, this was all Nicholas Forby's doing!' Harry shouts at the silent form of Icarus.
OOC,[color=#008000]'I will have my revenge'[/color]
'Stop, Aleister Forby was your son, Harry Forby is your grandson' he says, seemingly engaged in some one-sided conversation.
OOC,[color=#008000]'No one will have my treasure, you must die'[/color]
Harry looks increasingly panicked, 'No one else needs to die, dig deep man, remember who you are, who you were.'

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander gapes in shock.
OOC,If it attacks me, can I try to parry with the shotgun? Sanity roll (current level 82) for seeing the bones: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It will attack you and yes you can parry! It means that you can’t reload though. I really hope you’re successful! Good luck! I’m going to roll shortly.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 am
by HoneyDog
Fixating on the dangerous Alexander, the statue swings a mighty metal fist at him.
OOC,Icarus Fist 80: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845170]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b] Alexander can parry but bear in mind this might well damage his shotgun. Dodge is another option.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander barely manages to bring up the shotgun to block the mighty blow in time.
OOC,My Dodge skill isn't very good, though. Better the shotgun take the damage than me. I should be able to use both defenses according to 6th edition rules, however. Shotgun roll (70% skill) to parry the blow: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Phew! Icarus has a lethal damage bonus. [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845178]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+2d6[/u] [b]11[/b]
Alexander successfully blocks the statue's punch but his shotgun is knocked from his grip and clatters to the ground, barrel bent and twisted.
OOC,Alexander's first attack severely damaged Icarus, but he'll keep coming. You guys better devise a plan!

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm liking [b]Isolde[/b]'s fire idea. What skill would we use to smash a lit lantern on it?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:32 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Throw, with +30 bonus.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 am
by Philulhu
Vic watches in horror as the creatures smashes the shotgun to pieces with apparent ease. She still has the poker but can’t see an opening to use it that won’t expose her to mortal danger. She wished she had Lord Armstrong’s elephant gun!

“What are we going to do?!” she cries.
OOC,As Icarus is in front, I presume Vic hasn’t seen the bone yet?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alexander shot Icarus as he was moving towards Forby – all of the companions were in the same position, so Vic would have seen the effect of the shotgun blasts. But then Icarus turned and is attacking Alexander at the moment, Vic cannot see his back but she is free to attack him. She can move behind him to do so. The poker can do 1d4 damage.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:05 am
by Philulhu
Vic resolves to try and do something about the situation. She turns and runs off to the side, putting distance between herself and Icarus.

Once clear, she runs around behind him, trying to approach unnoticed, and stabs him in the back with the poker, where the white of bone gleams against the verdigris’d bronze...
OOC,To hit (Poker - 25%) - [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice] Edit - oh crap... :(

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Unfortunately, you missed!
The poker glances off the bronze armour of the statue.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:05 am
by aine
Isolde is desperate to help her companions who are in dire straits. If she can only distract the statue for a moment. She had heard Harry’s convoluted conversation, does that mean...? She shouts in her loudest, deepest voice,
“Christopher Lehman! This is Nicholas Forby here, why have you just woken me ? Why are you dancing around with those pointless people? Come here where I can see you!”
Ooc,[dice]0[/dice] I don’t know whether it’s fast talk 25 or persuade 40. But with that roll I only get close with library anyway - Maybe I should throw a book at it? Sorry chaps; good luck!

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:49 am
by Philulhu
”Damn it!” swore Vic, in language most unbecoming for a young lady!
OOC,Did Icarus notice the attack?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry steps towards Icarus.We can help you Christopher, break this curse.'
Harry hallucination,[color=#008000]'The pain, it is too much..'[/color]
'You don't need to fight us, we're here to help. We don't want to hurt you.' He takes another step forward.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
“What’s going on?”

Isolde looks around to see George beside her. The noise has awoken him.

“Who’s outside?”

“AAAAAAAAAGH!!!”

The scream comes out of nowhere. Suddenly a slight figure has launched itself at the statue, bearing some sort of club. It strikes the statue directly in the back, causing it to topple over onto its front.

Old Fred stands dead still, a brutish-looking cudgel in his hands. His eyes are quite mad, and his teeth are bared in a ferocious grimace. Spittle flecks his cheeks, and he is breathing heavily.

The statue starts to push itself up again.

OOC,Cudgel 65: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845251]Cudgel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]9[/b] [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845255]Cudgel damage[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]3[/b] Fred was roused by all the noise. He's gone temporarily insane from the sight of the walking statue, but he managed to strike a vital blow, knocking the statue over.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Can Harry do something stupid like try and restrain the statue, say with a Grapple - doubt that would go well but might fit with his psychosis - treating Icarus like it's a person and trying not to hurt it

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:43 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay. Everyone has an action for this round while Icarus is down, and Harry is first. You can roll Grapple.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry shouts 'Step away Fred'. He approaches the prone Icarus saying 'Christopher, we don't want to hurt you, but you must stop fighting us'.

Harry climbs on top of the green statue and seems to try and restrain its monstrous arms and head. 'There, there Christopher, shh now, relax'.
Harry Grapple 65%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:28 pm
by Philulhu
Contrary to any claims made by Harry, Vic took advantage of Icarus’ prone status to dart in and bring the poker down on the exposed bone once again.
OOC,Poker (25%) - [dice]0[/dice] Damage - [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:18 pm
by aine
“Come away, George, it’s horrid!” She takes the boy’s shoulders and spins him back into the room. “Your father and the others are fighting a fierce creature; I’m afraid it might be a rabid bear escaped from a circus, your father is being very brave but we must go and look after your mother; I’m afraid she’s been very frightened. Come on, let’s find her!” Isolde takes George’s hand and pulls him to the door.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
Vic tries to strike the statue but cannot, due to Harry laying atop it.

Old Fred has no such qualms. Intent on his adversary, he cares not for who gets in the way.

As he swings his cudgel down though, his foot slips and he falls over backwards, the cudgel falling to the ground.
OOC,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/845381]Cudgel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b]

Outside the bedroom door, Isolde is met by Gertrude.

“Have you seen what’s going on outside?” she says, eyes wild. Harry and Bates are barricading the door in case it tries to get in.”

Her eyes fall on George.

“We should look for a place to hide.”

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Harry, get off of it!" calls Alexander, raising his lantern. If Harry gets safely off of the statue's back, Alexander will take his lit lantern and smash it down on the statue.
OOC,Throw roll (25% + 30 = 55% skill) to smash the statue with the lantern: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 am
by HoneyDog
The statue knocks Harry aside and rises to its feet. As it does so, Alexander throws the lantern which smashes over its shoulders. The burning oil coats the figure, flickering with a green light, but does not have any immediate effect.
OOC,Sorry guys, metal is very hard to burn like this. It needs to be heated at a very high temperature before it melts. Icarus is still mostly metal at this point. Setting fire to him is probably not a good option.
Stepping over the sitting figure of Old Fred, the statue brings its fist squarely down on his head.
Dodge,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/845449]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] Unlucky roll.
The force of the blow smashes Fred’s skull with a sickening crack, and his neck is driven into his shoulders. Blood and brain shoot out, splattering the ground.

Icarus,Fist 80: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845438]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]11[/b] Fist Damage [url=https://orokos.com/roll/845439]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+2d6[/u] [b]14[/b]
OOC,Fred is brown bread. I warned you - Icarus is very dangerous. Please roll SAN at the sight of such extreme violence. If you pass, lost 1 point. Fail roll 1d4 loss. The companions can act now.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm
by Philulhu
SAN,SAN (58%) - [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss 1
Vic winced as she heard Fred’s skull crack and looked away so she didn’t have to see his final moments.

She looked back at Icarus and the fire that appeared to be having little effect. “What about ice?!” she cried.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Sanity 43,[dice]0[/dice], sanity loss if fail [dice]1[/dice] FEW, HARRY IS TEETERING ON THE EDGE OF INDEFINITE INSANITY
Harry gasps at the sight of Icarus crushing Old Fred's skull, but he's too far gone to process it any further, 'Christopher, stop it...I don't want to hear your excuses...no, no, he did not deserve to die...I don't deserve to die either...'

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 pm
by aine
Isolde looks at Gertrude with relief. "George, maybe you could show your mother the secret passage; that might be a good place to hide and you have multiple ways out should you need it".

Isolde goes downstairs.

"Bates, we need to think of a way to help Mr Forby and the others, do you have any other weapons we could use?" Isolde has no experience with any weapons but rather hopes Bates might have. "Or maybe we could lure the statue away. Whatever it is we need to act very quickly."

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
Forby and Bates are watching the events outside from a window. They have pushed furniture in front of the door in case the statue tries to enter.

“There’s an axe out back for chopping wood” says Bates. “Some gardening tools – nothing designed as a weapon.”

“Where could we lure it too?” wonders Forby.

His face suddenly lights up.

“Ah! The quarry!”

He turns to Bates.

“Fetch the axe and stand guard here, old friend. Defend the women and children! I’ll lead the blighter away to the quarry.”

Forby’s face is flushed with determination, and Bates does not try to argue. He hurries away.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Run!" shouts Alexander, grabbing Harry by the arm and pulling him away, in the direction of the ice house. "Brilliant!" he says to Vic. "To the ice house!"
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for seeing [b]Fred[/b] killed: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Which way is the creature going?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:52 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The statue is still doing whatever it was doing in the last post. It will react to what your characters do.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:57 pm
by aine
“The quarry, yes! Maybe we can lure it over the edge. But Mr Forby, wait.” Isolde puts her hand on his arm, “Remember Gertrude and George: you need to survive for them, be brave but not foolhardy. The creature is out for your blood- be wary!”
Ooc,is there a spare lantern she can carry?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm
by Philulhu
Vic grabbed Harry’s other arm and helped Alexander to pull him in the direction of the ice house, hoping that they could outrun Icarus!

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
As he is dragged away Harry turns to look over his shoulder at Icarus, 'Now you leave the Forby family alone and come with us Christopher'

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:09 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions flee, hoping to lead the statue away. But as they look back, they can see it start walking towards the house.

Forby has gone back to the window as he waits for Bates to return. He suddenly reaches out and grips Isolde’s arm.

Miss Beauchant! It’s coming this way!”

He looks around, sweat pouring from his brow.

“When I say so, go and open the window in the dining room. The left-hand one! Take the lantern!”

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm
by Philulhu
“Oh bugger!” swore Vic, and leaving her shocked companions, let go of Harry’s arm and ran in the direction of the house!
OOC,Vic is mindful of the strength of Icarus, so won’t go anywhere near it! She will try to get into the house before it and warn Forby that Icarus is on its way and the need to get to the ice house.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:33 am
by HoneyDog
The statue reaches the front door. Finding it locked, it begins pounding, causing the door to splinter and crack.

“Open the window!” Forby shouts to Isolde. “The door won’t hold it long!”

Bates returns with his axe, holding it ready, looking absolutely petrified.

Forby follows Isolde.

“You’ll have to help me out” he says when he gets to the window.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's after Harry Forby!" says Alexander, following Vic back to the house. "He only attacked me because I shot him. Nicholas Forby must have made an automaton out of Lehmann's body, like in Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein! If we can get Forby to go to the ice house, we'll have an advantage if that thing follows him."

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:09 am
by HoneyDog
Assisted by Isolde, Forby manages to get through the window and begins moving away from the house.

The statue ceases it’s assault on the door, and turns to pursue.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 am
by aine
Isolde leans out of the dining room window. She wonders if Forby could lure it to the stables, escape via the secret passage and then they could lock it in and burn the stables down; the hay must be dry as tinder... “The secret passage!” She shouts after the retreating figure, not wanting to alert the statue to a crazy plan. “Help! Help! It’s chasing Mr Forby round to the back!” She shouts to anyone who might be out there and then ducks back into the house, unable to climb the window in her skirts. She will now run through the house with her lantern and exit at the back.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am
by HoneyDog
Forby is indeed heading towards the back of the house. He turns the corner and is lost to view.

The statue keeps pace behind him.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:52 am
by Mephistophilis
Seeing that Icarus hasn't followed them and is chasing Forby, Harry turns back to the house to follow shouting 'Christopher, Christopher, where are you?'

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,If the companions want to catch up with Forby, they can run around the other side of the house and intercept him as he moves around the back.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:25 pm
by Philulhu
Seeing Forby run around the back of the house, Vic changed direction to cut him off the other way. Her lungs were already starting to burn so she hoped she would be in time!

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also runs around the house with Vic to catch up to Harry Forby.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 am
by aine
Isolde runs to the kitchen door.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 am
by Mephistophilis
Somewhat lacking in reason at the moment, Harry continues to blunder around the house after Icarus.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
As Harry Brown, in his reduced mental state, forlornly pursues the statue, the other companions intercept Harry Forby as he reaches the back of the house. He is able to keep ahead of his assailant by pursuing a brisk walk, but a combination of the heat and his reduced physical condition means that the gap may be closed.

Seeing the companions, he calls out;

“To the quarry! We’ll lead it there!”

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:18 pm
by aine
Isolde lights the way with her lantern, “Where’s Harry? Is he okay?” She pants as she meets with the others and Mr Forby. “Mr Forby, do you plan to lure it over the edge somehow?” She hasn’t been to the quarry yet and can only imagine what it might be like.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Miss Miller had another idea," says Alexander. "We could lead it to the ice house. Nicholas Forby's statues always became brittle and cracked in the cold."

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Forby glances fearfully behind him at the pursuing statue as the party approaches the hill.

“If we use the ice house, how to we get the bugger in there? There’s only one door” he says.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we'd have to go inside," says Alexander, running alongside him. "We could circle around him and try to get out and trap him inside, or we could make our stand inside."

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:21 am
by HoneyDog
“You haven’t seen it, have you?" says Forby, breathing heavily. “It’s not big enough to contain us all. And it will probably take time for the statue to become affected by the cold. It will follow me inside, but I doubt I could get out again in one piece. I’d rather take my chances at the quarry.”

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm
by aine
“The icehouse does sound rather risky and you’d problem freeze faster than the statue!” Isolde’s lantern casts eerie shadows on the trees overhead. “Is there anywhere in the quarry where you can trick the statue to go over the edge, Mr Forby?”

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 pm
by Philulhu
“The quarry sounds like the best option!” huffed Vic, looking over her shoulder to see where Icarus was.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry follows behind Icarus, keeping some distance between them. He continues to hear a voice emanating from Icarus, cursing and threatening Forby but he has given up trying to communicate with it and lapses into troubled silence.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, the quarry it is then," says Alexander, trying to keep up with the others.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
Forby manages to lead the party to the quarry, but he is visibly exhausted by now and the statue is not far behind. There is not much time.

The quarry looms up, a dark and featureless hole stretching before them. The ground is rocky and unstable here.

“I’ll go out on the edge” says Forby. “It’s loose and his weight should count against him. I’ll go alone – no sense in putting all of you in danger.”

With a final nod, and a look back at the remorseless statue, he begins walking to the lip of the quarry.
OOC,Will anyone insist on accompanying him?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,I don't think Harry is yet in a fit state to make those sort of plans. So we have any rope or anything else we could use to secure him? I presume Forby's too tired to run around to the far side to get it to try and wade across?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,How far behind is Icarus?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 pm
by aine
“Just choose a solid bit of rock to leap for, Mr Forby. I’ll try to light the area for you. Alexander, did you bring any rope?” Isolde lifts the lantern as high as she can so that Forby can choose the best place to stand. She’ll stand so that she is the other side of Forby from the statue’s path.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, here it is," says Alexander, removing it from his shoulder. "I think I know what you're thinking." He ties one end of the rope around Harry Forby's waist and the other to a sturdy rock outcropping or boulder.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander has barely tied one end of the rope to Forby when the statue approaches. Forby quickly runs to the quarry edge, the statue almost upon him. As the companions make no threat to it, it ignores them, intent on its victim. Alexander quickly ties the other end of the rope fast.

Forby slips and stumbles as the statue reaches out to him. Unable to get up, the last thing the companions see is Forby’s terrified face as the arms bear down on him. Then he disappears, and the slack on the rope suddenly begins to tighten.

The statue, propelled by its own momentum, disappears over the edge. Soon after, the companions hear a splash.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:19 pm
by aine
Isolde looks fearfully at the others and then starts to walk towards the edge intending to light up the chasm with her lantern ,if possible, so they can see what’s happened. She also looks to see if the rope is taut...

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
In the light, Isolde sees Harry Forby clinging to the side of the quarry, desperately trying to find some purchase. The rope is supporting him, but he obviously needs help. He can't hold on much longer.

"Help me!"

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm
by Philulhu
Vic harrumphed loudly as Alexander and Harry looked on and dashed over to help pull Forby to safety...

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander rushes to help pull Harry Forby back up to the clifftop.

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
Gasping and struggling, Forby is hauled back to safety. He lays for a moment trying to catch his breath, and then sits up.

“Has it gone?” he asks. “I heard it fall into the water.”

Without waiting for an answer, he takes a lantern and peers over the edge. It is too dark to see much, but there seems to be no movement.

“Let’s return to the house” he says. “We can come back at daylight and check.”

With that, the exhausted companions assist Forby back to the house. Outside, the body of Fred has been covered where it lays in the rose garden.

“Poor Fred says Forby. “That damn statue!”

Inside they are greeted by the rest of the household; Gertrude and George are delighted to see Forby still in one piece. Mrs. Bates and Connie set about making tea for everyone.

“I think we need something a little stronger” says Forby. Bates, please fetch the brandy.”

“But Harry!” Gertrude complains.

“It’s fine, dear” says Forby, settling into a chair. “My headache has gone, now.”

He looks around at the others in the room.

"Icarus has returned to the water. I think he'll stay there now."
OOC,Is the horror finally over? Is the mystery finally solved? I'll begin a new thread tomorrow and we can wrap things up. Please add any thoughts if you wish. Harry will have recovered his sanity after a good night's sleep, although he will have some longer-term difficulties yet to be discussed.

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 pm
by Philulhu
Vic eschewed the brandy and nursed her cup of tea as she stared out of the window into the darkness beyond. She hoped the creature was gone for good - quarries were deep, with steep sides - but she’d have felt better for having seen the creature put out of its misery and knowing it could never return...

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown paces back and forth, his eyes fixed on the darkness, what is that he can hear on the wind? It sounds like a voice. His attention snaps back to the room and he looks around, 'Where's Lieutenant Meddler?'

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
John hasn’t returned” says Gertrude, her face worried.

“We’ll search for him in the morning, dear” says Forby reassuringly. “He can’t have gone far.”

He slumps back in his chair, exhausted.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I prefer scotch," says Alexander, "but I'll nae turn down a fine brandy. In the morning we'll be able to see if the thing was truly destroyed. It withstood two shotgun blasts and turned my shotgun into so much scrap metal. Still, better the shotgun than me."

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 am
by HoneyDog
“It’s gone, Alexander says Forby grimly. “I can feel it.”