Chapter 6: Day Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 6: Day Three

Post by Mephistophilis »

At the mention of medicine Harry meets Isolde's gaze and nods. He had been having similar thoughts about poison.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Forby calms himself.

Dr. Jeffries is my physician. His office is in the village. Certainly, you can use the library. You’re there anyway, aren’t you?”

Gertrude looks concerned.

“I hope you don’t have anything too… shocking to tell my husband” she says. “As she can see, he is not feeling himself.”

“Dammit woman!” roars Forby. “I’m no shrinking violet!”

“Steady on there, old chap” says Meddler evenly. “We only have your best intentions at heart. If you like, I’ll be with you when you talk with these chaps.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think Mr. Forby can handle the news," says Alexander. "You heard him just now. Your presence will not be necessary, Lieutenant. The library will do nicely."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Meddler opens his mouth to speak, but thinks better of it.

“I think I should be present, though” says Gertrude, quietly but firmly.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Well, to make it as painless as possible, the seekers will have a private meeting first to condense our findings; then We’ll talk to Mr and Mrs Forby. How long does it take to walk to the village by the way?” Asks Isolde.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic stood abruptly. ”May I be excused?” she said, holding her hand to her brow as if afflicted by a headache. Waving away any expressions of concern, she left the dining room, pulling the door closed behind her to obscure what she did next.

Checking no one was loitering, she quickly entered the library. Convinced that there were passages behind the walls and wanting to make sure they were alone when they met with Mr & Mrs Forby, Vic started carefully checking the panelling, looking for secret handles and tapping gently to try to detect hollow spaces behind... ...
Spot hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice] Damn... ... :roll:
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry assumes that Vic is deliberately creating an excuse to talk away from the family. 'I had better check on Miss Miller, she looks quite unwell' he barks, leaving the room quickly before anyone can say anything. Once out of the room he heads upstairs as quietly as he can looking for Vic.
Last edited by Mephistophilis on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The library is a large room, searching it in this manner is going to take hours, it isn’t practical – I think you already tried something like this earlier. If you try to search Meddler’s room like this, you run a high risk of being discovered. If you do anything to greatly upset the Forby family, the party will probably be asked to leave. Maybe you might want to rewrite these posts, if not we will continue as is.
“The village is a thirty minute walk, Madam” says Bates.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, that sounds good," Alexander says after Isolde speaks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,I'll just have Harry look for Vic
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Perhaps we could walk to the village together; we can talk on the way. And then meet Mr and Mrs Forby in the library when we get back. I’m afraid the library is in a bit of a mess because Vic and I are in the middle of things there.

Bates, please you you make sure no one goes in while I’m out? It would mess up our work. I think we should go to the village now before it gets any hotter, if we may be excused?” Isolde rises and looks at Alexander to do the same.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic looked up with a start as Harry entered the room. lOh, it’s you,” she sighed. “You weren’t followed were you?”

She turned back and looked at the wood-panelled walls. “I think there’s a secret passage somewhere behind here but I’ll be damned if I can find it. I’d like to be sure that we were alone when we spoke to the Forby’s but without being able to find it, we can’t be sure. It’s so infuriating!” She gave another desultory knock and then sprawled in a most unladylike fashion in a nearby chair with a heavy sigh.
OOC,Fixed it.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'It is not likely we are going to find it before breakfast is over' says Harry as he strolls over to the fireplace. 'The only clue we have refers to a fireplace, this one overlooks the bay trees in the entrance so perhaps you could start here?' Harry puts his head under the mantle and pokes around inside the fireplace and the flue behind. 'I think we are just going to have to assume that we could be overheard.'
Harry Spot Hidden 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander nods and follows Isolde.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Does Harry remember the riddle from the painting?
With breakfast abruptly at an end, the participants excuse themselves. As Alexander and Isolde prepare to leave for the village, Isolde notices George furtively beckoning to her.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Harry is thinking of “An Iron Dog with eyes of fire shoots sparks in Apollo’s bower”, the first part referring, we think, to a fireplace, the second less clear, perhaps to the bays in the front of the house, perhaps to a room (although a library would be more Athena than Apollo, Harry doesn't know much about classical mythology).
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,The meaning of 'iron dog' has also been discussed by other members. If Harry realises what part of the fireplace it refers to, he will solve the mystery of the riddle.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry recalls Gertrude's mention of the andirons, or dog-irons as being the meaning of 'iron dog' and he searches the base of the fireplace.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Could you find the others and let them know? But perhaps Vic is too poorly to walk to the village. We will need parasols and umbrellas against the sun and water I suppose. Thank you, Alexander, I shall just have a Quickword with young George before we go and I need to do something in the library too.“
Isolde follows George to a quiet corner.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome. Aye, I'll do that," says Alexander, heading to the library to find Harry and Vic and let them know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”