Page 1 of 1

Chapter 6: Day Three

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Tuesday 9th August, 1881

5.30 am

Forby House

Dawn breaks on a new day, even hotter than before. The bedsheets feel grimy to the touch; the heat lays like a moist, warm blanket upon the sleeping companions, causing them to stir restlessly. However, their sleep is uninterrupted, and they are not disturbed by any other unwelcome visitors during the night. But what of the day?

True to his commitment, Harry awakes early. Dressing and washing, he sets out towards the quarry. He creeps quietly downstairs.
Harry,Roll Luck.

Re: Chapter 6: Day Three

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Luck 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also wakes up early and joins Harry to go investigate the quarry.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 pm
by HoneyDog
As Harry and Alexander enter the kitchen, they encounter Bates, who is surprised to see them.

“Good morning! I wasn’t expecting to see you gentlemen up so early” he says, regarding them neutrally.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Good morning Mr Bates' says Harry coolly. 'Dr Campbell and I are off to search the grounds again, there was another commotion last night and Lt Meddler believes he saw an intruder in a mask. I don't suppose you heard anything?'

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:41 pm
by Philulhu
Vic heard the creek of floorboards and faint voices downstairs. She yawned and lifted the pillow over her face, the cool underside giving a moment’s respite from the heat. She lay there a moment longer, then sighed and dropped the pillow on the floor.

Getting up, she pulled on a dressing gown and padded down the stairs. ”Good morning, gentlemen,” she said. “Are you going somewhere?”

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, lass," says Alexander. "We're off to the quarry to search for signs of the intruder."

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:24 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry shoots Alexander another look and sighs. He doesn't seem to have got the hang of being discrete around suspects.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Bates looks startled.

“Again? Oh my goodness. I must look in on the master.”

Without another word, he leaves in the direction of the stairs.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry shrugs his stiff shoulders, 'We should get going before the whole house is up and about'. He looks at Vic in her dressing gown, 'I'd invite you to come with us Miss Miller but I think we'd better get a move on. Could you keep an eye on Meddler and Bates while we're gone?'

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:03 pm
by aine
Isolde languishes in bed, too lethargic to rise. But the heat is already unpleasant so she washes, dresses and makes her way down the stairs. She heads to the relative cool of the hallway and looks up at the ceiling to see if it is odd or just old and mouldy.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it is odd that he assumed that the intruder had returned," says Alexander, "rather than thinking we might still have been looking for evidence of his first appearance."

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 am
by Philulhu
”Will do!” replied Vic. “And if they look like wandering off, I’ll distract them with this...” She flicked open the lower left part of her dressing gown open to show that she was wearing a pair a blue and white-striped men’s pyjamas.

“That prig Meddler will have conniptions if he sees me in men’s clothes again!” she laughed.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander instinctively tries to look away, but he doesn't react fast enough. It hadn't been what he had expected to see. "Aye, that ought to do it," he says with a chuckle.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
Harry and Alexander head through the kitchen door into the courtyard outside. The air is already very muggy and close. Moving in the direction which will take them to the quarry, the scan their surroundings, looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Harry & Alexander,Roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Spot Hidden 60%,[dice]0[/dice] Hard Success!

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander notices something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (67% skill) on the way to the quarry: [dice]0[/dice] Likewise.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
There is a woodpile near the kitchen door. Something stuffed beneath it captures the attention of the two men.

Looking more closely, they see that it is a brace of rabbits, obviously recently killed, with their throats neatly slit.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry kneels down and looks at the rabbits, 'now who do you suppose has been out snaring rabbits this morning?'

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it's curious," says Alexander. "Let's see if he left any tracks." He looks around for footprints or some other sign of passage.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 pm
by HoneyDog
Harry & Alexander,Roll Track.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Track 10%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander shrugs, unable to identify any tracks.
OOC,Track roll (10% base skill) to find tracks for whoever killed the rabbits: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:39 pm
by aine
Isolde hopes she is not missed at breakfast; she certainly doesn't miss the congealed fare. She heads out to the stables to feed the ferret and sees the two gentlemen peering at something on the floor, she wanders over and looks down at the rabbits. "Ugh, why hide the carcases there? The dogs might eat them. Strange way to kill them but I don't suppose it's a ritualistic killing; not like what we found in Dartmoor. I'd have pinned it on young George but he's been confined to bed." She shrugs.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Everyone has woken up very early. You have time before breakfast. What would you like to do?

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry continues on towards the quarry but decides to have a little nose around the outside of Old Fred's quarters to see if he is up yet.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
Vic hangs around the kitchen, having managed to scrounge a cup of tea, and keeps an eye out for Bates or Meddler.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander goes along with Harry.

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:00 pm
by aine
Isolde goes, after feeding the ferret, for a short walk through the gardens while it is still cool enough.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm
by HoneyDog
If Fred is home, there is no sign. His cottage is silent and the dogs aren’t present.

The house and grounds seem quiet. Presently Betty and Connie appear and start preparing breakfast, making tea for anyone who is present.

Bates presently returns from seeing to his master, his face a mask of concern. He says nothing, but casts a worried glance at Betty.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm
by Philulhu
Vic catches the worried look shared between the butler and the cook. When everyone else is busy preparing breakfast, she steps over to him and says quietly, "Is everything well with his lordship this morning, Mr Bates?"

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could be Fred who killed the rabbits if he was out and about," says Alexander.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 am
by HoneyDog
Bates hesitates.

“He’s not doing very well miss. I fear for his health if this continues much longer.”

He goes over to help his wife.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Vic muses on what she has been told, wondering if, whatever is causing the events at the Hall, the aim is the demise of Mr Forby.

She decides to go and catch up with the others so heads upstairs to change, before going to find the others outside.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm
by aine
Isolde drifts around the garden trying to collect her thoughts over the whole matter. Once she is sure breakfast is over, she returns to the house to find the others.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Finding no sign of Fred, Harry heads down towards the quarry keeping his eye out for signs that anyone else is out abroad this morning.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander accompanies Harry to the quarry.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:51 am
by HoneyDog
While Isolde potters around, the other three companions make their way to the quarry. The morning is still cool but is the sun is climbing and it is becoming progressively hotter. The tramp through the woods is tiring, but eventually the companions reach the quarry. To Harry it looks the same as before, with the ruined hut adjacent to the side.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks into the hut, he tries to see if there is any sign someone else has been in there, in particular whether any of the items have been moved.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander looks around outside the hut to see if there's any sign someone has been here recently.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think that's supposed to be in a different game.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Hee hee! I deleted Phil's post and pasted it in Servants of the Lake.
The mask and sack are as Harry had left them. There's no way of telling for sure whether anyone has been here.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I can't see any sign that the costume has been moved' says Harry as he points out the mask, gloves, and sack. 'Which suggests that there is either another costume, or Lt Meddler did not see what he has claimed.'

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 pm
by Philulhu
ooc,Oops... :oops:
”Do you think Meddler is trying to scare his brother-in-law to death?” asked Vic. ”Bates was of the opinion that Mr. Forby can’t take much more. With him out of the way, I wouldn’t put it past Meddler to try to push his sister out and take over the house.”

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry mops the sweat from his forehead. He stares out over the quarry, 'I don't know Miss Miller, but it is certainly something worth looking into. I was hoping for a more...supernatural explanation, but in my experience money makes men do funny things'.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it's possible," says Alexander. "I agree about money. That's far more likely than a supernatural explanation. In my personal experience, I've never encountered anything that could be conclusively said to be supernatural. I have seen a type of creature previously unknown to science once, but that may have a natural explanation."

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 pm
by Philulhu
”What did you see?” asked Vic as she looked around.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw nought myself," says Alexander, also looking around.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:35 pm
by aine
Isolde walks back into the house and heads to the library; she checks if there’s anything left unread.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry strolls back to the house as the day starts to warm further. He ponders what they've found by the quarry and the wisdom of challenging Meddler directly. In heat like this tempers can run to rather rash actions.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Vic follows Harry back to the house. It was so warm that she almost, but not quite, contemplated changing her trousers for a more comfortable skirt...

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isolde can make one Library Use roll. This will give the others time to get back for breakfast from the quarry.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also returns to the house. "I suppose I can try searching more fireplaces for the treasure," he says. "Finding it may be the one thing that can put Harry Forby to rights."

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:44 am
by aine
Isolde takes the last folio to the window seat, opens the window with difficulty and sits down to read.
Library,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:11 pm
by HoneyDog
aine,Library Use rolls are for finding the folios and other possible information – you don't have them to hand. And I’m not sure why you’re thinking that’s the last of it! English rolls will help to make sense of what you find. It's yielded quite a bit of information so far...
Harry, Alexander and Vic arrive back at the house with enough time to refresh before breakfast. The day is promising to be even hotter than the last, and the halls of Forby House are like a hot, humid blanket, stifling the energy of those within.

At breakfast attention seems centered around Harry Forby. He seems weak and listless, often staring off into space and muttering to himself, and uninterested in his surroundings, not touching the food before him. Gertrude’s face is a mask of concern, while George mostly stares at his plate, although he manages a wink and a smile at Isolde, returning from her unsuccessful foray into the library. Meddler sips his morning tea, and while regarding the proffered porridge with a baleful eye, greets the companions and asks as to the morning’s investigations.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We found very little," says Alexander. "I'll be resuming my search for the treasure after breakfast. We did notice that someone killed a brace of rabbits recently. Has anyone been out hunting?"

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:57 pm
by aine
“Yes, it seems strange the rabbits were left where they were not dealt with properly; especially in this hot weather.” Isolde adds.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:49 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler scoffs.

“Hunting? Damned poaching, more like.”

John!” snaps Gertrude. “Mind your language please!”

Meddler frowns but says nothing more.

The silence is broken by Forby.

“Very little, hmm?” he says, regarding Alexander coldly. “I’m beginning to wonder why I invited you here to help, you and your friends.”

His voice starts to rise.

“You’re enjoying my hospitality, my kitchen, the fruits of my earnings, and relaxing in the grounds, while all the time my life is threatened by whoever is out there, seeking to harm me! I demand answers! D’you hear me?”

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We've found very little this morning, I meant," says Alexander, "but it's only breakfast time. We have some theories and several avenues of investigation to pursue. Perhaps after breakfast we can discuss them privately with you."

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 pm
by aine
“May I ask who prescribes your medicine, Mr Forby?” Asks Isolde. “And we will need a room available after breakfast for a private meeting. May I suggest the library?” She says imperiously. “It will be just for the seekers, you understand; we have to discuss our findings so far.” She finishes with a meaningful look to Viv.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
At the mention of medicine Harry meets Isolde's gaze and nods. He had been having similar thoughts about poison.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 am
by HoneyDog
Forby calms himself.

Dr. Jeffries is my physician. His office is in the village. Certainly, you can use the library. You’re there anyway, aren’t you?”

Gertrude looks concerned.

“I hope you don’t have anything too… shocking to tell my husband” she says. “As she can see, he is not feeling himself.”

“Dammit woman!” roars Forby. “I’m no shrinking violet!”

“Steady on there, old chap” says Meddler evenly. “We only have your best intentions at heart. If you like, I’ll be with you when you talk with these chaps.”

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think Mr. Forby can handle the news," says Alexander. "You heard him just now. Your presence will not be necessary, Lieutenant. The library will do nicely."

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:20 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler opens his mouth to speak, but thinks better of it.

“I think I should be present, though” says Gertrude, quietly but firmly.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:50 pm
by aine
Well, to make it as painless as possible, the seekers will have a private meeting first to condense our findings; then We’ll talk to Mr and Mrs Forby. How long does it take to walk to the village by the way?” Asks Isolde.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:45 pm
by Philulhu
Vic stood abruptly. ”May I be excused?” she said, holding her hand to her brow as if afflicted by a headache. Waving away any expressions of concern, she left the dining room, pulling the door closed behind her to obscure what she did next.

Checking no one was loitering, she quickly entered the library. Convinced that there were passages behind the walls and wanting to make sure they were alone when they met with Mr & Mrs Forby, Vic started carefully checking the panelling, looking for secret handles and tapping gently to try to detect hollow spaces behind... ...
Spot hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice] Damn... ... :roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry assumes that Vic is deliberately creating an excuse to talk away from the family. 'I had better check on Miss Miller, she looks quite unwell' he barks, leaving the room quickly before anyone can say anything. Once out of the room he heads upstairs as quietly as he can looking for Vic.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The library is a large room, searching it in this manner is going to take hours, it isn’t practical – I think you already tried something like this earlier. If you try to search Meddler’s room like this, you run a high risk of being discovered. If you do anything to greatly upset the Forby family, the party will probably be asked to leave. Maybe you might want to rewrite these posts, if not we will continue as is.
“The village is a thirty minute walk, Madam” says Bates.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that sounds good," Alexander says after Isolde speaks.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,I'll just have Harry look for Vic

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:19 am
by aine
“Perhaps we could walk to the village together; we can talk on the way. And then meet Mr and Mrs Forby in the library when we get back. I’m afraid the library is in a bit of a mess because Vic and I are in the middle of things there.

Bates, please you you make sure no one goes in while I’m out? It would mess up our work. I think we should go to the village now before it gets any hotter, if we may be excused?” Isolde rises and looks at Alexander to do the same.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:09 pm
by Philulhu
Vic looked up with a start as Harry entered the room. lOh, it’s you,” she sighed. “You weren’t followed were you?”

She turned back and looked at the wood-panelled walls. “I think there’s a secret passage somewhere behind here but I’ll be damned if I can find it. I’d like to be sure that we were alone when we spoke to the Forby’s but without being able to find it, we can’t be sure. It’s so infuriating!” She gave another desultory knock and then sprawled in a most unladylike fashion in a nearby chair with a heavy sigh.
OOC,Fixed it.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
'It is not likely we are going to find it before breakfast is over' says Harry as he strolls over to the fireplace. 'The only clue we have refers to a fireplace, this one overlooks the bay trees in the entrance so perhaps you could start here?' Harry puts his head under the mantle and pokes around inside the fireplace and the flue behind. 'I think we are just going to have to assume that we could be overheard.'
Harry Spot Hidden 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander nods and follows Isolde.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:40 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,Does Harry remember the riddle from the painting?
With breakfast abruptly at an end, the participants excuse themselves. As Alexander and Isolde prepare to leave for the village, Isolde notices George furtively beckoning to her.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Harry is thinking of “An Iron Dog with eyes of fire shoots sparks in Apollo’s bower”, the first part referring, we think, to a fireplace, the second less clear, perhaps to the bays in the front of the house, perhaps to a room (although a library would be more Athena than Apollo, Harry doesn't know much about classical mythology).

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:37 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,The meaning of 'iron dog' has also been discussed by other members. If Harry realises what part of the fireplace it refers to, he will solve the mystery of the riddle.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry recalls Gertrude's mention of the andirons, or dog-irons as being the meaning of 'iron dog' and he searches the base of the fireplace.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am
by aine
“Could you find the others and let them know? But perhaps Vic is too poorly to walk to the village. We will need parasols and umbrellas against the sun and water I suppose. Thank you, Alexander, I shall just have a Quickword with young George before we go and I need to do something in the library too.“
Isolde follows George to a quiet corner.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome. Aye, I'll do that," says Alexander, heading to the library to find Harry and Vic and let them know.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:03 am
by HoneyDog
Squatting in front of the fireplace, Harry tries manipulating the andiron. He twists one of the bars, and to his surprise it starts to turn, and a small section of the floor against the wall to his right lifts slowly up with an agonizing creak.

“Thanks awfully for feeding my ferret!” says George in a whisper.

He leans closer to Isolde, looking around for prying eyes as he does so.

“I say, would you like to see another secret?”

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 am
by Philulhu
Vic gave a low whistle then quickly looked around to make sure they weren’t being watched. ”Good work, Mr Brown!” she smiled. “Shall we have a look and see where it leads?”

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry blushes, feeling rather pleased with himself for performing in front of a lady. He kneels by the section of floor and takes a look underneath.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Examining the opening, it’s quickly apparent that it doesn’t seem to lead anywhere. It’s a space of about 5 feet in height and almost 2 feet across, about enough room for a small man.
OOC,All present, including Alexander who must have reached you by now, can roll Idea about the opening.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Idea 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Priest hole?  

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:01 pm
by aine
“Perhaps.” Whispers Isolde to George,”Maybe in return for a little something from the village? I’m hoping to go to the post office shortly.”

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:56 pm
by Philulhu
Vic knelt down to have a closer look. Inwardly she was disappointed that it didn’t seem to lead to a secret warren of passages in the walls.
Vic - Idea Roll (85%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry starts to tap on the sides of the hole. 'I wonder what this was used for?'

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:43 pm
by HoneyDog
George cocks his head, confused at Isolde’s words.

“You don’t want to see?” he asks, disappointed.
OOC,Vic rolled successfully so she realizes the function of the space – it is indeed a priest hole! Built during the Elizabethan era when clergy were persecuted, and had to go into hiding.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 pm
by aine
“Well, yes of course, lead the way!” Replies Isolde.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
”I believe it is a priest’s hole,” replied Vic. “A hiding place for Catholics - and Jacobites - when being of either persuasion could lose you your life...”

She sat on the edge and dangled her feet in the hole. Holding up her hands, she said, “Can you help me down? I want to take a closer look.”
OOC,Vic will, once again, try to coerce her rather under-powered Spot Hidden skill (25%) into giving up some clues... [dice]0[/dice] Edit: Pffft! :?

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
“Great!” exclaims George enthusiastically, and then checks himself to make sure he wasn’t heard.

Beckoning to Isolde, he leads the way upstairs and to his bedroom. The enter and George heads to a sconce located on the wall at the back of the room. He pushes it down, and a small section of the wall slides open.

He turns around with a triumphant smile.

“It’s a secret passage!” he whispers. “Do you want to come in?”

OOC,There’s no need for Spot Hidden. It’s a small space containing only one thing.
Harry helps Vic into the hole, a claustrophobic space almost unbearable in this heat. Wedged into a crack in the wood is a small pile of what looks like folio papers, clipped and bundled together.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, so it is," says Alexander. "My family has never had need for such things. We're Presbyterians, and we Campbells have always been Loyalists." He notes her find. "Ah, that must be the next clue in the trail to find the treasure. Of course the treasure itself wouldn't be that easy to find."
OOC,My post with my Idea roll disappeared when the site went down. I think I failed, but it didn't matter.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 pm
by Philulhu
Vic wiped her hands on her trousers to make sure they dry, then carefully eased the papers out from the crack and passed them up to Harry, before holding up her hands to be helped out of the hole.

Once back at floor level, she took back the papers, spread them out on the library desk and began to read...

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Vic recognizes the handwriting as Nicholas Forby’s – these must be the missing pages from the last folios. However the writing is much harder to decipher than the previous entries – it is jagged and disjointed , the words seeming to flow into each other. It will take some serious analysis to make headway of this find.
OOC,All reading need to make English rolls to make sense of the pages.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 pm
by aine
Isolde is impressed,”Gosh! What a find; you are clever, George. Yes, lead the way. But go quietly!” She whispers. “Do we need a light?”

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
George shakes his head. Although it is dim, enough light enters through various cracks and holes to light the passage.

It appears to run parallel between the bedrooms on one side, and the library on the other. George raises his finger to his lips, and points to a wooden foot pedal attached to weight and pulley, which must be used to open the doors from the inside.

The floor is very dusty, and Isolde can make out a set of small boot prints which look recent, and a set of three thin parallel wheel tracks, which must have been made earlier.

George opens a slit on the wall, and peering in, Isolde can see Harry, Vic and Alexander in the library, talking excitedly and poring over some papers.

“Every room has these peepholes” whispers George. “You can see and hear everything.”

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Though the text is confusing, Alexander has sufficient mastery of the English language that he can understand it.
OOC,Own Language: English (90% base skill) reading the pages: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:22 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander can make out the writing, and begins to read for the others.

It is obviously detailing the work on the statue “Icarus”, and there are many sketches. All except the last few show the traditional winged man from mythology, but the notes are incoherent. What is plain though is Nicholas is so sick that he thinks he will die. He asks Christopher to visit in order to help him finish the mold, and asks his friend to finish the work if he were unable to;

“For I care neither for Heaven or Hell” he writes, “only that my masterwork outlive me.”
OOC,More successful English rolls please!

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:44 pm
by Philulhu
Vic dusted herself down and pulled a cobweb from her hair with a shudder. She flicked it away into the fireplace and stepped over to join Alexander at the table. As he begins to read, she starts to follow the words written on the page.
English (75%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Much of the writing is still intelligible, but Vic can make out most of the rest of the narrative.

It seems to consist of rantings directed at Christopher and Alice Forby, describing Nicholas’ growing hatred of them, and his pain and disgust of being betrayed. There is mention of a spyhole and a secret passage.
OOC,You can roll English again.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 pm
by aine
“Well, it is rather rude to peep, I suppose; we’d better head back.” Whispers Isolde slightly worried about what they may overhear and who may be in the bedrooms right now, “Well done, though, you’ll make a fine investigator, young George!”

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:31 am
by Philulhu
Vic frowned as she read the details of the scandalous behaviour. ”Do you think the affair has anything to do with what is happening now? she asked, with a note of doubt in her voice.
English (75%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna ken," says Alexander, "but anything's possible. There must be something in here that will point us to the treasure, or at least lead us to the next step on the trail. That spyhole and secret passage may be relevant."

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:47 am
by HoneyDog
Reluctantly, George leads Isolde back the way they came, and into his bedroom.

Vic returns to the papers, and although the narrative has become even more incoherent and disjointed, she reads out the final words.

“If a cock crow in another’s nest, then let that rooster a cuckold be. Why should he inherit? I’faith I shall mimic Perseus, an amusing conceit, and with the gift of Prometheus dispel the night from Apollo’s bower. Where’er this light do shine, there I will conceal it. I shall conceal it, I mock you, my green ey’d rooster’s egg. For it is mine.”

There is also marginalia around this last part, in a hand different from Nicholas’. The writer indicates shock at his mother’s infidelity, and the jottings indicate that these events took place nine months before birth.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, you were right lass," says Alexander. "This does give us a new clue. The gift of Prometheus is fire. We'll need to light the fireplace tonight and see where the light shines. I believe Perseus used his shield to reflect Medusa's gaze back at herself, so we'll need to reflect the firelight in order to find the emerald."

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:18 am
by Philulhu
Vic glanced around the room. ”In what do you think the firelight will be reflected?”
OOC,Is there a mirror in room?

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No, but you'll be able to get one. Good deduction by Mr. Handy!

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:47 am
by aine
Isolde follows George back out, I’m sorry, George, you know I used to be a governess? And sometimes it gets the better of me. But it’s much more fun being an investigator isn’t it?” She winks at him. “Id like to go back in but I want to talk to you first without anyone hearing us through the walls.

Now you know we are here to help your father and this is a very important clue you have found; does anyone else know about the secret passage?” And did you see those lines on the floor? Like little tracks? We are going to go back in and follow the passage all the way to the end. We’ll investigate scientifically: look for anything interesting and we’ll try to guess what made those lines; try not to stand on them! You go first.”

Isolde lets George go first.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:26 pm
by HoneyDog
George shakes his head.

“It’s fine” he says. “Of course, I’ve followed the passage to the end. There’s a little staircase after the bedrooms which leads quite deep down, and ends up at a dead end. That’s it really. No-one but me knows about it, I’m pretty sure. At least I’ve never seen any sign of anyone else there. Those tracks I think come from that funny wheeled chair in the library.”

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"A mirror would do nicely," says Alexander. "We're bound to find one about the house."
OOC,Thanks!

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks closely at the sketches. 'Is this the Icarus of legend, with the wings? I wonder what led him to cast that strange figure outside instead?'
Harry English 55%,[dice]0[/dice] in case it is needed

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:00 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There's nothing else to be found from these papers, although you can still search the library for more information if you wish.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 am
by aine
So it might have been Nicholas using this passage.” Murmurs Isolde, “ But then how did he get down the staircase? Let’s go and examine the end of the tunnel.” She says to George. She wonders if they pass Meddler’s bedroom too. She lifts her skirts, careful not to brush the markings on the floor.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:54 am
by HoneyDog
“There’s nothing there” George shrugs. “But you can look if you like. You’ll need a light on the stairs. I should go back before Mother comes looking for me.”

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked at the library shelves, scanning the titles for anything that related to Icarus or Greek mythology.
Library use (50%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Vic can see that Nicholas’ collection contains many books on classic Greek mythology. She finds a couple of volumes which describe the story of Icarus, which just affirm what they already know.
OCC,We established the content of the collections earlier when the library was first visited. I don’t want to give too much away, but be careful with your library rolls. Maybe it’s better just to scan the shelves and see what comes up? Vic can have one more roll, the others two each of they wish.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 pm
by Philulhu
Vic pulled a couple of the books of Greek mythology from the shelves but soon realised she was going over old ground as read once again the story of Icarus and his doomed flight to near to the sun.

She sighed and pushed the books away. She was sure there must be something in the library that would help to solve the mystery. She looked around once again, hoping inspiration would strike...
Library use (50%),[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander isn't sure what to look for, so he just peruses the bookshelves for anything of interest.
OOC,Library Use roll (64% skill) looking through the bookshelves: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry strolls along the shelves taking down books at random and leafing through them if they look interesting. He doesn't find anything that particularly catches his eye.
Harry Library Use 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
'Are we looking for anything in particular?'

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:58 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I’ll let Harry keep his successful English roll as you may need it.
Scanning the shelves beyond Nicholas’ collection, Vic and Alexander come up with an interesting find. It is a series of small bound books, revealed to be the diaries of Aleister Forby. There are several of them though, and on examination the prose is flowery and somewhat turgid. It will take a long time to read them all.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:03 am
by aine
“Well, I might take a quick look, while the coast is clear. May I borrow your candle?” Isolde will take the candle, if she can safely pull the door closed she will. “Thank you, George, if I don’t come back you’ll have to send a search party!” She jokes in a whisper.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:39 am
by Philulhu
Vic opened one of the books, read the first page and sighed. It was going to be a chore...

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:49 am
by HoneyDog
Isolde sets off back along the passage. In each wall, she can see a peephole to observe inside each room. Gertrude’s bedroom is empty – in Forby’s room that unfortunate is lying on the bed and loudly complaining about his headaches, while Gertrude listens patiently.

Soon Isolde finds a narrow staircase leading down. As she traverses it, it is plain that it does not stop at ground level but continues onward, as the grows noticeably cooler and the walls begin to sweat. Lighting the candle, she can see that George was right so far, and that there is nothing of note here.

Eventually the passage finishes in a dead end. Looking above her, Isolde can see that the exit is some kind of trapdoor. It’s easy to see how George was unable to move it – he simply isn’t strong enough. But with a lot of heaving, Isolde manages to push aside the barrier.

Blinking in the dim light, Isolde is greeted by the back end of a horse. That and the smell, and the piles of straw, tell her that she is probably in the stable.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also looks through the diaries. "I'll look for the time period surrounding the end of Nicholas Forby's life first," he says. "That would be 1842."

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:31 pm
by aine
Isolde wrinkles her nose against the smell and in wry resignation. “I suppose it my have been an escape route for Caveliers long ago. I’d better get back to the others.” She carefully closes the hatch The hatch after climbing out, checks on the ferret and walks back into the house to the library.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Not finding much luck browsing the shelves Harry tries to see if he can find any books with bindings that suggest they might be diaries or other personal notebooks.
Harry Library Use 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Actually, I had wanted to look up the time surrounding his father [b]Nicholas[/b]'s death.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, I should pay closer attention. I've deleted the previous post.
The diaries seem to start when Aleister was well into adulthood and living the life of a country gentlemen. They don't cover the period of Nicholas' death.

Vic starts at the beginning of the diaries. She can see that Aleister was a jolly, blameless soul, leading the life of a country gentleman. He records being ably guided through his early years by Bains“more than servant, an honest guardian and friend”.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's okay. I hope you saved the text before you deleted it, because we'll get to it eventually. Once I realized that the time period I was interested in was before the diaries began, I'd have moved on to another period immediately. I can't say for sure if I would have thought of starting at the end if you hadn't mentioned it, though.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:43 pm
by aine
Isolde enters the library and walks close to the others. “You”lo never guess Where I’ve been- in a secret passage!” She whispers. “Just about here. Vic, did you tell the gentlemen about our theory? That Lehman was having an affair with Nicholas’ wife and that Nicholas might have used the passage to spy on them?”

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry gives a shrug, 'not particularly surprising, but what did Nicholas Forby do with what he found? Do we know the ultimate fate of Lehman or his wife?' He thinks for a moment. 'Does Harry Forby know about the passage? How about Meddler? Does it lead outside? Because I've had some suspicions about the good lieutenant'.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've confirmed the theory," says Alexander, showing her the papers. "Look what was in a hidden compartment in the fireplace. It also tells us how to find the emerald." He fills her in on what they've discovered.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:36 pm
by Philulhu
”We should perhaps try to find out what happened Mrs. Forby,” said Vic quietly. Now that the secret passages had been confirmed, they couldn’t discount someone using them to listen in...

“Is there a family bible in here? That might have records of births and deaths.” She glanced around the room, looking to see if there was one on the library shelves.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Vic found the family bible the day before. Have a look at Day Two. It might be a good time to collate and summarise the really pertinent information discovered so far; it’s easy to forget as the game has such a long span. Sometimes the clues are a little understated too. Mr. Handy has an idea about what part of the diaries to look at. I would have given an Idea roll if you hadn’t have come up with it ;)

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 pm
by aine
“We really need to discuss our findings so far but I’m not sure this is the best place; it’s too easy to eavesdrop. I’m also worried about leaving all these papers around for others to read; especially Meddler.”

Isolde looks at Harry, “The passageway leads to the stables but the only signs of people using it were George’s footprints and that old wheelchair; but I suppose anyone could have sat in it and wheeled it along except not down the stairs of course.”

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"It can't be a room off the secret passageway," says Alexander. "Otherwise we could be observed by anyone in there. Which rooms does it go to? If we eliminate those, we'll have a better idea where we can meet."

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm
by aine
"Well, we do need to walk to the village to see the doctor and send a telegram. We could discuss our findings on the way. We'll have to start now before it gets too hot though." Says Isolde, excited to hear the emerald is nearly at hand.

She starts to tidy the folios, arranging them carefully in order of research. "I don't want anyone perusing these while we are away - this way, we can see if they've been disturbed but remind me to ask Bates to lock the library door."

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:53 pm
by Philulhu
Vic gathered up the papers she had found in the priest hole and tucked them inside her blouse. ”Better that no else sees these,” she said.
The Bible,In my defence, that was in April... ;)

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks at the old wheelchair, 'Forby was using this yesterday, you don't suppose he has been in the passageway?'

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Are you no longer checking Aleister's diaries?

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, he might have been," says Alexander. "It would make sense that he knows about it. His grandfather did."
OOC,I wasn't done looking through them.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 pm
by aine
Isolde looks out of the window, “But it might be too hot already.” She leans over Alexander’s shoulder as he looks at the diaries, “Well, what else have you found?” She whispers.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander shows Isolde what they found in the diaries and quietly summarizes their findings.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
”If we’re going to send the telegram, we need to go soon,” said Vic. “It might help if we can find out more about this Lehmann fellow so let’s not delay any further.”

She wasn’t in a rush to walk to the village in the stifling heat but it seemed like an important part of the jigsaw that they were trying to put together.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I'm not really one for this book work' says Harry, 'I'm happy to take a walk to the village, perhaps after lunch'. He takes the diary and starts skimming through it to try and find something relevant to their investigations.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Searching the rest of Aleister’s diaries will take a couple of days but correctly identifying and reading the relevant parts will only take until lunchtime. It needs a successful English roll which Harry has already made, so he might want to stay and help.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:38 pm
by aine
Someone with medical knowledge should speak to Forby’s physician and send the telegram too; this morning will be slighter cooler perhaps. I’m happy to continue on the books, after all I used to do it for a living.” Says Isolde.
Ooc,Does Isolde have anymore English/library rolls she can use?

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not my field, I'm afraid," says Alexander, "though I'll go if nobody else is qualified. Otherwise I'll stay here and keep going through the diaries."

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, you’re a medical man so you seem to be the best qualified,” Vic said to Alexander. She glanced around at the walls, knowing that someone might be there, listening in. She carried on in a quieter tone. “I’m happy to pop along to the post office while you attend to the other matter, if you like?”

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Whoever decides to stay to examine the diaries will need a successful English roll, if Harry goes to the village. If Harry stays no roll is required, as he already made one. Isolde can make a Library Use roll to see if there any more secrets on the shelves, although there won’t be enough time to examine any findings before lunch. This will mean though that she cannot make any English roll for Aleister’s diaries, so it’s either Library Use or English. If Alexander leaves, he will need to communicate his idea for where to look in Aleister’s diaries. If everyone stays, it would maximize efficiency and I’ll allow more time and rolls for searching.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nae, lass, I'm a doctor of science, not of medicine," says Alexander. "My speciality is physics. Still, I have scientific knowledge, so I'd be the best choice to talk to him. You're welcome to go to the post office."

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,If Harry stays, we can use his successful roll. That would seem to be the best course of action. I’m torn between going to the village and staying to read more. Both options seem to offer possibilities, although the longer we put off sending the telegram, the longer it might take for any extra information to be returned. Thoughts?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:45 pm
by aine
“I suppose we should finish here first.” Says Isolde. “Let me check these other shelves; I haven’t looked here yet.”
Library 75,[dice]0[/dice]
Ooc,Sorry I haven’t been posting- I couldn’t log on until now.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I don't think I'm your man for chatting to doctors' grumbles Harry.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I don't think anyone could access the site!
The companions decide to remain in the library to continue their investigations. While Isolde scans the shelves, Vic, Alexander and Harry continue to examine Aleister’s diaries.

Alexander surmises that more relevant information might be found towards the end of Aleister’s life. With the help of Harry, who can make more sense of Aleister's flowery scrawl, he finds some interesting entries.

Aleister's last summer was a very hot one; he records that “such a drought has not been recorded in this parish since my father’s death”. The heat seems to have steadily eroded his nerves, as he begins to record a series of small incidents which fill him with a sense of anxious foreboding.

His wife, Rhoda, had frequent consultations with the “young doctor” Jeffries over trivial concerns. He finally feels obliged “for morality’s sake, and prudence, and to forestall the gossip of the neighbourhood” to forbid any further attendance of the doctor at the house.

Aleister suffered a series of dreadful headaches “that have kept me wakeful, together with the oppressive heat, until I truly wished for death to relieve me.”
The night before his death he records that all the dogs in the district were restless and uneasy, keeping him awake with their baying.

The final entry: on the night of what would turn out to be his death, he records that he walked around the house propping open the windows to try to relieve the heat. He then retired to the library and records a last, excited entry, for he has just discovered a hitherto overlooked cache of documents and has immediately embarked on reading them.

While the others are poring over the significance of these descriptions, Isolde has located another set of volumes which could potentially be relevant. These, she discovers, are the diaries of Rhoda Forby.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well spotted!" says Alexander. "I think we'd best read these before going to see Doctor Jeffries, so that we have as much information as we can get before we speak to him."
OOC,I couldn't log in either. I was thinking I could both go to the post office to post the letter and see the doctor, and that means only one of us needs to go anywhere.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am
by HoneyDog
The morning has stretched on as the companions have been engrossed in the efforts, and they are surprised to hear an announcement from Bates that lunch will be served shortly.
OOC,Examining Rhoda's diaries will have to wait until after lunch, and will need successful English rolls to navigate. Take time to discuss your findings before we begin lunch.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,What were the small incidents that [b]Aleister Forby[/b] referred to?

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The incidents in the descriptions which follow.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"The documents Aleister found must be the ones in the hidden compartment," says Alexander. "Rhoda's diaries may have more details about her relationship with Doctor Jeffries, but we'll have to look through them later."

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 am
by aine
“I’ll start reading the diaries after lunch. “ says Isolde. “Don’t you think it strange that all three generations died of some strange malaise?” She stops as she realises what she had said. “Oh dear; I didn’t mean that. But this strange hot weather and Mr Forby’s illness, it does seem rather a coincidence.”

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am
by Philulhu
”It’s as if there’s a curse on the family,” said Vic quietly. “The husband’s die early whereas the female’s...” She coloured slightly as she trailed off, not wanting to voice her suspicions out loud while there was a chance they could be overheard.

“Do you think recovery of the emerald will lift this ‘curse’?” she asked.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I don't know about a curse but there's something fishy about this monster that suggests someone has more human motives' says Harry, 'love and money being the most common in my experience.'

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it reminds of the case we investigated last year," says Alexander. "That involved a family curse, though I think the only power a curse has is in the minds of those who believe in it. Harry Forby's behaviour does remind me of what I saw in his grandfather's diary. It makes me reluctant to share that particular aspect of what we saw in the documents with him, for fear it may push him over the edge."

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:51 pm
by aine
“Indeed it is similar to last year’s case; only this time we still have a chance to save the family. But if this generation is following the same pattern As the previous ones then does that mean Gertrude is quite as dutiful as she seems?” Isolde seems doubtful.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Shall we move on to lunch?

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm ready.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:30 pm
by aine
“Come on, let’s go and partake of yet another dismal luncheon. I really don’t understand why the food is so bad; it’s never going to cure an invalid. I’m going to see if there’s any fruit in the garden, I’ll meet you at the table.”
Isolde walks out around the garden to see if there are any raspberries, currants or even a peach. She’ll take this to the dining room after a quick rinse under a tap.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Happy to move on.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:54 am
by HoneyDog
After a fruitless search for some more delectable morsels, Isolde makes her way to the dining room, where she meets the disapproving gaze of those present who have already started eating. Lunch today is beef broth with bread and butter; while limited, it is tasty and nourishing.

Harry Forby sips his soup sullenly. He is still pale and listless, seemingly uninterested in the conversation going on around him.

Meddler seems more cheerful, and attempts to question the companions as to their deductions so far.

The maid Connie slips into the room, quietly announcing to Gertrude that she will be stepping out for the afternoon, to which Gertrude smilingly acquiesces.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd prefer not to reveal our theory in front of everyone until we can confirm some more facts," says Alexander, "but we have made significant progress."

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am
by HoneyDog
“I hope so” says Forby desperately. “I must have that treasure!”

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:14 pm
by Philulhu
Vic’s ears pricked up at Connie saying she would stepping out for the afternoon. It wasn’t like a servant to be given time off during the week - normally they would only be able to get away at weekends..
OOC,I could be completely on the wrong track here! Can Vic hear anything else said by Connie about why she’s going out? Listen (45%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry is also struck by how unusual it would be to approach the lady of the house during a meal to get leave.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can fill you in on our discoveries after luncheon," says Alexander. "I think you'll be pleased." He too has noted the unusual behavior of the maid. He suspects that she is on her way to a rendezvous, of which Gertrude is aware and approving, but he keeps this to himself.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:58 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Connie was just letting Gertrude know that she was leaving. Gertrude obviously knows where Connie is going.
"You have some news for us?" Gertrude asks hopefully.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander. "We'll tell you and your husband at our private meeting this afternoon."

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:09 am
by HoneyDog
"Harry will need to rest in the afternoon. What time are you thinking of?" asks Gertrude.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whenever's convenient for both of you," says Alexander. "I think the earlier, the better."

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:34 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude looks at her husband.

"Well, perhaps after lunch then. After, Harry will need to rest."

Harry nods silently in agreement.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, after lunch, then," says Alexander.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:45 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Can everyone confirm their plans for after lunch?
"Where should we meet?" asks Gertrude.

"I assume I'll be present too" says Meddler.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"We previously arranged this meeting to be in the library," says Alexander, "and we had agreed that the meeting would be with just Mr. and Mrs. Forby."
OOC,See [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=236257#p236257]this post[/url].

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure, Meddler just wants to try his luck.
Meddler grimaces in anger but says nothing.

"Of course" says Gertrude. "We'll meet there".

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:42 am
by Philulhu
OOC,I’m inclined to suggest that we just have two investigators talking to the Forbys, with someone keeping an eye on Meddler and someone else following Connie to see where she goes? I’d suggest Isolde & Alexander, Harry and Vic, respectively.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:03 am
by aine
Ooc,That seems a sound plan. I reckon Connie may be off to the village so Vic could have the excuse of the telegram should she be spotted by Connie. Isolde still has the diaries to read and could then do the meeting, although I was hoping to have a seekers’ meeting first to collaborate our findings. Maybe she could do that with Alexander after the diaries and before talking to the Forbys..

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Should someone not be in the walls?

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:17 pm
by aine
Ooc,If only to stop anyone eavesdropping. But if Harry is watching Meddler then maybe it will be okay. I think it is important to follow the maid; if history is repeating itsrlf then we need to discover Gertrude’s indiscretion and I think Connie could be implicit.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,One point to consider - Connie has left already, and you don't where she has gone, so I don't see how she can really be followed.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I was also thinking that we want someone in the secret passage to make sure nobody eavesdrops. Even if someone follows [b]Meddler[/b], someone else could still try to spy on us. The first thing I want to do when the meeting starts is to reveal the secret passage and show it to them. That's another way we can make sure nobody's back there. I'll be in the library explaining our findings to the [b]Forbys[/b].

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:58 am
by Philulhu
OOC,If Connie has already gone, then I’ve an idea to try to find out where she’s gone (short of interrogating Gertrude Forby, anyway). Otherwise, Vic will join the others in the library, unless you think she’d be better off keeping an eye on Meddler?

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:09 pm
by aine
Ooc,In that case how about Vic follows up her idea about Connie and then patrols the secret passage in George’s room; Harry keeps an eye on Meddler to see if he lives up to his name; Alexander and Isolde are in the library to finish the diaries and meet the Forbys.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Sounds ok to me.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Reading the diaries will take several hours, so would you postpone meeting the Forbys until later?

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 pm
by aine
Ooc,It might be best to. If everyone is happy to do that. Maybe a meeting at 4pm over tea?

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think it's important that we share this information with them first.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm
by aine
Ooc,Okay, as soon as everyone is ready, we’ll have the meeting. Vic has something to do first regarding Connie; Harry will be looking after Meddler in a gentlemanly way; Alexander and Isolde in the library with the Forbys once Vic is free to go into the passage. Thank you, Honeydog!

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:33 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,If Vic is going looking for Connie, then she may be some time? What will Alexander and Isolde do until she arrives back and is ready to enter the passage? And how is she going to get into the passage?

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Vic’s plan, if Connie has already left, was to enquire with the butler & cook as to where she had gone, making out that Connie had offered to post a letter for her. Vic would use that pretext to find out whether Connie was heading towards the village or somewhere else. If Connie has been gone too long, then Vic will just find out the info and head for the passage (via the external entrance). If there’s a chance of catching her, Vic will head off after her.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Connie has already left - she left before lunch.
Lunch is over and the household goes about its business. Meddler and George retire to their rooms, while Gertrude helps Harry upstairs for their appointment in the library.

Vic approaches Bates to ask about Connie’s whereabouts. With a neutral expression, he informs Vic that Connie is engaged on a personal errand and she will be back later in the afternoon.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If we have to wait any amount of time until the [b]Forbys[/b] arrive, we can always start reading the diaries in the meantime.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No time I'm afraid! The Forbys are ready.
Harry and Gertrude make their way into the library and take their seats at the table. Harry's eyes are drawn to the painting of his grandfather, and to the green object clutched in his hand. One might suspect that this is a habit for him.

Gertrude addresses Alexander and Isolde with a smile, but she looks slightly apprehensive.

"Please" she begins. "Tell us your news."
OOC,Unless Vic goes off somewhere or engages in a lengthy conversation with Bates, she has had plenty of time to access the passage, and find it uninhabited.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:49 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown approaches Meddler, 'Lieutenant Meddler, I wanted a word with you away from Mr Forby, I'm rather concerned about this intruder and his intentions, do you know of any reason why someone would want to scare Mr Forby, does he have any enemies?'

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well, it seems that the story of the family treasure is pretty common knowledge around these parts” says Meddler, after a moment. “It's probably one of the local criminals. God knows there's enough unsavoury types in this area. The property is open so it’s easy for these scoundrels to sneak around at night. No doubt they’re trying to gain access. We must remain vigilant, Mr. Brown!

Meddler claps Harry on the shoulder.

“You seem like a stout fellow” he remarks. “Did you see service at all?”

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:17 pm
by aine
“Thank you for meeting us.” Isolde says to the Forbys once they are all comfortable. “We’ll try to be as succinct as possible. Alexander, would you like to begin?”

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I never had the honour of serving' says Harry, 'my mother has now passed but I was all she had so this is the farthest I've been from London'. He looks a little downcast for a moment then brightens up.

'But a man of your talents Lieutenant, must have some ideas for improving on the security of the house. Let's take a look around the perimeter and see what we can do'.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Assuming Vic has time...
”Oh!” said Vic,with feigned exasperation. ”Did she go to the village? I’d hoped she would take a letter for me.”
OOC,It seems as though Connie May have had too much of a head start so once she receives an answer, Vic will make her way to the passage behind the library, being careful not to make a noise and will try to secrete herself where she might not be seen by anyone approaching to listen in.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 am
by HoneyDog
“Capital idea!” replies Meddler. “Let’s start upstairs. I know Harry insists on locking the windows in this devilish heat, but we may find a point of ingress.”

“I’m sorry, she left before lunch” says Bates. “Perhaps when she returns, if her duties permit? Now, if you’ll excuse me, Miss.”

He bows and heads towards the kitchen.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Before we explain how we're going to find the treasure," says Alexander, "we need to make sure that nobody eavesdrops on us. We have reason to believe that someone in this house means ye harm, and it wouldna do to give anyone a chance to find it first. Ye may already be aware that there are secret passages behind the walls of the house. One of them leads right here to the library." He reveals the secret passage to the Forbys by opening it, and, if Vic is in position, informs them that she is there to make sure nobody else is.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry but I don't think the characters have investigated how to open the secret passage from the library or from any of the rooms apart from George's. I'm assuming that Isolde would have informed about the exit/entrance in the stables, so it's okay to use that. It is clear how to open the passage from the inside, but not from the library. I removed the last sentence of Mr. Handy's post - sorry to do that. After Vic has investigated the passage, she can reveal herself if she wishes. I would think she should be in position very soon. In the meantime, I'll have the Forbys react to the news.
Both Forby and Gertrude let out gasps of shock.

“Harm?” cries Forby. “Someone here is working against me?”

His face is pale.

Gertrude’s hand is at her mouth.

"Whoever could that be?" she says in anguish. "Why"?

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry makes a show of thinking for a moment. 'I don't think the intruder has yet entered the house which suggests that the building itself is secure, it would also be quite a challenge to access the first floor in that costume. I suggest we investigate the outbuildings, I haven't taken a look there yet since we arrived and they would provide the perfect opportunity for an intruder to conceal themselves' he says to Meddler.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm
by aine
"And even if we were to discount this person," Isolde casts a look at Alexander, "Your health, Mr Forby, is of grave concern; both your father and grandfather died from a similar malaise here in this house in a hot summer just like this one. And in both summers, other occurances were happening too." She looks at Gertrude for a long moment.

"Now these may just be coincidences but to my mind, for the same situation to happen in three consectutive generations, you'll ignore this at your peril. It only seems to have started when the emerald appeared so it may be connected." She looks at her notebook, trying to think back to if they knew where the emerald came from.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
“Don’t fret, we have plenty of time” Meddler tells Harry cheerfully. “It always pays to check one’s defensive position, believe me.”

He points to the adjacent games room.

“Let’s start here.”

He opens the door.

“What are you talking about?” snaps Forby. The colour is coming back into his cheeks. “What malaise? You obviously have no idea how my father died! Now, who are you referring too?”

Gertrude also looks shocked, her eyes are wide.

“Where are you going with all this? What person are you talking about? What situation?”

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 pm
by aine
“I beg your pardon, maybe your father wasn’t as ill as your grandfather or yourself but he wasn’t in top form. Perhaps you could remind us how he died; if you are comfortable to do so.” Says Isolde.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
Vic felt like stamping her foot with frustration but there was no time. Muttering to herself, she headed off to the stables, looking around carefully to make sure she was unseen before slipping through the secret entrance and into the passage beyond. She had studied the layout of the house so she was confident she could find her way to the library, but she stepped carefully, as much to make sure she didn’t run into anyone skulking in there as to be sure of not taking a wrong turn.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry follows Meddler into the Game Room and looks around. 'Are we above the dining room here?' he asks and moves to look at and out of the windows.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
Forby looks down, not wanting to meet Isolde’s eyes. His wife answers for him.

“He killed himself. With a gun” she says, after a moment.

Forby bangs his cane impatiently.

“Now, will you please stop beating around the bush and answer our question! Who do you suspect? Because the only people here are family and trusted servants, so you’d better have a bloody good explanation!”

Vic checks the passage – it is clear that no-one is there. There is a new set of footprints in addition to the child’s and the wheel tracks – these obviously belong to Isolde.

The games room is dominated by a billiard table. Meddler begins checking the windows, making sure that they are securely fastened. The heat in the room is oppressive.

“That’s correct” Meddler calls over his shoulder.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"We don't yet know which person it is," says Alexander. "We have our suspicions, but I wouldna want to make an accusation without solid evidence. We suspect the motive may be greed."

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, I'd forgotten. It's been so long ago. I'll edit my post.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,It's okay! This is one of the problems of playing in this format, it becomes hard to remember the details. And there are a lot of little details in this adventure. I think I'll make a thread for everyone to gather information so far.
The faces of both Forbys are dark.

“Well, you’d better get some damned solid evidence before you bring this up again Alexander!” says Harry. “What’s this malaise you’re talking about? Are you saying that this brain fever of mine was shared by my father and grandfather?”

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:14 pm
by Philulhu
Vic could hear the tone of Harry Forby’s voice and was glad she wasn’t in the library!

Carefully and quietly, she inspected the library wall to see if there was any obvious point of egress.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
'This looks secure' says Harry, 'the intruder was around the back door, near the kitchen, which rooms lie above there?' he asks Meddler.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:12 am
by HoneyDog
Vic can see the weight and pulley opening mechanisms against the wall of each room. She finds one for entering the library too.

Meddler thinks for a moment. “That would probably be George’s schoolroom. Or another bathroom.”

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll let Madame Beauchant address the malaise. First let me explain how we're going to find the emerald. Before we do that, I'll make sure we aren't being observed by anyone not of our party." He approaches the wall behind which the secret passage is. "Miss Miller, are you there?"

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry gives Meddler a broad grin, 'well then, let's take a look'.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
”There is no one here but me,” replied Vic, carefully activating the mechanism that opened the door into the library.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
“Go on ahead” says Meddler. “I’m going to check the storage room next door. Can’t be too careful!”

Inside the library, the Forbys start in astonishment as a bookcase swings open, and a somewhat dusty Vic emerges, blinking in the bright light.

“Good Lord!” exclaims Harry. “I had no idea! How on earth did you find that?”

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"We found out about it from your grandfather's diaries," says Alexander. "He knew all about these passages."

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:01 am
by HoneyDog
“Really?” says Forby, looking confused. “I read those a long time ago, but I don’t remember anything about secret passages.”

Another thought comes to him.

“Come to think of it, Nicholas was quite ill. Father also mentioned being plagued by headaches too. I should talk to Dr. Jeffries about this again.”

Gertrude puts her hand on Forby’s.

“We should talk to him soon” she tells him.

Turning to the companions, she asks, “Are there any other passages? Where does this lead to?”

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 am
by Philulhu
”As far as we can tell, the passage links the library, and the family bedrooms. It’s accessed from the stable block,” replied Vic.
OOC,Vic hasn’t been in the passage before so only knows what Isolde told her. Did she any sign of any other other passages on her way through? Also, did she notice if there were any tracks leading towards the bedrooms?

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
Aware of how close they are to the library door, Harry walks out into the hallway, at first he heads towards the back rooms but stops and turns back as if changing his mind. 'No, you're right Lieutenant, best do this methodically' he bellows and walks past the storage room to open the door to the bathroom making a fair bit of noise in the process.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The passage is exactly like it was previously described, nothing more has occurred. If you all want to know more information, refresh your memories by looking at prior posts and add your thoughts to the notes so that you have somewhere you can easily reference.
“From the stable!” says Forby, in awe. “All this time, I didn’t realise!”

He checks himself.

“Wait a moment Alexander! Did you say you can find the emerald?”

Meddler says nothing as he enters the storage room.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I did," says Alexander. "Now that I know we're alone, I can share it with you. There's a secret compartment in the fireplace here." He shows it to him. "It was the riddle that led us to it. The compartment contained a second riddle that will reveal the emerald." He reads the riddle to Forby and explains the solution. "I believe I've figured out what it means. We'll have to wait until evening before the emerald can be revealed. We'll need to light the fireplace then, and we'll also need a mirror so that we can reflect the firelight."'

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 pm
by Philulhu
As Alexander explained how he proposed to find the emerald, Vic stepped over to take a closer look at the old bath chair in the corner of the room. She knelt down next to it, checking to see if there any dust around it that might indicate whether it had, or had not, been moved recently.

Vic looked back over to the Forbys. “Does anyone still use this?” she asked.
OOC,Can I try a spot hidden if that would help?

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:42 am
by HoneyDog
Forby looks excited.

“Excellent Alexander! Well done! We’ll certainly get you your mirror!”

Gertrude also looks pleased.

“That’s wonderful news” she says, “but Harry, you really should rest now so that you’ll be fit for tonight”.

“Very well” he reluctantly agrees. “Is there anything else, Alexander?”

“Nobody uses the chair anymore” Gertrude tells Vic.
OOC,The chair looks undisturbed. It doesn't require a roll.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:12 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Vic is looking for dust to see if the chair has been moved. Although Gertrude says it hasn’t been used, she is looking for evidence to support that.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,As stated, the chair doesn't look like it's been moved. If there was something to find, I would have given some indication by now.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye, Harry," says Alexander. "That's all I had to say. Ladies, do ye have anything further to add?"

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35 pm
by aine
“Really though, you must keep this knowledge to yourselves; don’t mention anything, not even to the lieutenant or the doctor or even Bates. Not an inkling!” Isolde commands. “Even if we find the emerald there is still a mystery here and we are still examining evidence.”

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:40 am
by HoneyDog
Both the Forbys hesitate, and nod in agreement.

Meddler has finished in the storage room and has moved on to the adjacent bathroom.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry is still in the bathroom. He greets Meddler, 'all secure here, you?'

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
"Excellent!" Meddler exclaims, clapping his hands. "Now, let's see to the guest bedrooms!"

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:18 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Meddler & Harry are still checking out the house and grounds, what does everyone plan to do now that the meeting is finished?

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to start going through [b]Rhoda[/b]'s diaries.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Which guest rooms are the investigators in? I think Harry might be reticent to enter the ladies' room

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:30 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The investigators are in the guestrooms at the back of the house, if you reference the map. Let's say that the women are sharing the large corner room. It's not necessary to check those rooms as you are using them.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm
by aine
Ooc,Isolde will help with the diaries.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:02 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Vic will take a closer look at the wheel tracks in the secret passage. Having determined that the bath chair hasn’t moved for some time, she wants to check how fresh the tracks are. If the tracks in the dust are fresh, then obviously something/someone is moving around in there. If they are older, we can discount that. I’d expect she would be able to tell by comparing the dust in the wheel tracks to the dust in George and Isolde’s footprints. If it’s roughly the same, then that suggests the wheel tracks are contemporary. If the tracks have dust in them, then that would suggest they were made some time ago and I’m on a wild goose chase... ... ;)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude leads Forby off for his afternoon nap, while Isolde and Alexander sit down to peruse Rhoda’s diaries. Meddler and Harry set about making sure that the house is secure.
Isolde & Alexander,Please roll English.
Vic meanwhile enters the passage and sets out to examine the tracks in detail. She finds that in places the footprints overlay the bath chair tracks, and so the footprints are more recent.
Vic,This will take a couple of hours of game time.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander finds the archaic language too confusing.
OOC,Own Language: English roll (90% base skill) reading the diaries: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 pm
by aine
English,80[dice]0[/dice]
“You’re reading it upside down, silly!” Isolde turns the diary the right way up and hands it back to Alexander.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry continues checking the rooms with Meddler. Once it is clear that the meeting in the library has concluded he will be less insistent on keeping Meddler away. He will suggest that they don't check the ladies' guest room without their permission and says he will return later when he has discussed it with them. As the rooms of the Forbys do not have external windows he will not check them but he will take a look in George's room.

When they've finished on the first floor, rather than return to the ground floor he will suggest looking in the attic.

He is not really particularly interested in how secure the house is, although he will check the windows, he is more taking the opportunity to watch Meddler and take a look in some of the rooms he doesn't usually have access to. If possible he will try and get Meddler to check his own room and follow him in.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Re: Vic - ok, that’s fine.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, thank ye kindly," says Alexander. "It would help if I had my glasses, but I seem to have misplaced them." They are, of course, on the top of his head.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:14 am
by HoneyDog
It is clear from the style of writing that Rhoda Forby was a serious and business-like woman. Her diary mainly seems to be a record of social visits and business calls, but Isolde manages to discern something of interest. Whenever the subject of Dr. Jeffries comes up, she evinces a very uncommon tenderness towards him. He visits the manor many times, particularly when Aleister is suffering from his headaches.
Isolde & Alexander,You can both roll English again.
Meddler and Harry continue checking the first floor. Meddler states that he is perfectly capable of checking his own room at a time of his choosing, and George flatly refuses entry to his room. Bates will be needed to prepare a lantern and open up the attic.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, there they are!" says Alexander, finding his glasses and pulling them down onto his nose. Once he does that, everything becomes clear.
OOC,Own Language: English roll (90% base skill) reading the diaries: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:55 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander finally gets the hang of things. He finds the dates corresponding to the time around Aleister’s death. Rhoda doesn’t discuss her own feelings, but records that at the time Harry was home from school and was the one who found his father’s body, leaving him terribly shocked by the experience.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:18 pm
by aine
Isolde smiles to herself and settles down to read one of the diaries.
English,70 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
As they wait for Bates to prepare the attic, Harry makes small talk with Meddler, 'tell me Lieutenant, what regiment are you with?'

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,At what point did [b]Rhoda[/b]'s relationship with [b]Dr. Jeffries[/b] begin relative to [b]Harry[/b]'s birth? (i.e., was it at least nine months before?)

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 pm
by HoneyDog
”1st Life Guards” replies Meddler curtly to Harry. “But I’m on furlough.”

Isolde finds some more relating to Aleister’s death. Due to the heat of the summer, his body was quickly interred. Harry could not understand why his father could not be buried in the churchyard.

Just then, Gertrude returns to the library.

“I’m serving tea and cakes on the lawn” she says. “I feel awful that everyone has to eat such plain food all the time. Will you join us?”
OOC,You’re making assumptions about Rhoda’s relationship with the doctor. Family portraits make it plain that Alestair is indeed Harry’s father.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:13 pm
by aine
“Oh wonderful, that would be lovely!” Says Isolde. “We’ll be there presently, thank you!” When Gertrude has gone, Isolde hides the diaries behind some other books on the shelf. “Alexander, do we know if Aleister was interred in the family vault? And was there much shame over his suicide, I wonder.” She gets ready to leave for the garden.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that will hit the spot!" says Alexander. After she is gone and Isolde speaks, he shrugs. "I'm not sure if he was interred there, but it's hard to imagine he wasn't."
OOC,Thank you. I wasn't assuming, I was just wondering if it was possible.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Furloughed, eh?' Harry laughs. 'That must be frustrating for a cavalryman like yourself, raring to go I'd say!'
OOC,I'm not 100% sure what furloughed means in this context. Is he just on home leave or has he been temporarily suspended from duty for some reason? If the latter would Harry expect he might be getting his pay reduced? I'm trying to establish a motivation for Meddler trying to kill/drive Forby mad

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Is Vic aware of the ‘tea on the lawn’ invite or is she still searching through the passages?

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:16 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry if I sounded harsh Mr. H. You’ll have to find out Mephistophilis! We’ll assume that the others tell Vic about the tea.
As Meddler is about to answer Gertrude appears.

”Oh, there you are! I’m about to serve tea and cakes on the lawn. Will you both join us?”

“Sounds terrific!” Meddler replies. “Just what I needed.” He follows Gertrude.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry follows Gertrude and continues to chat lightly with Meddler, 'so what does being furloughed entail exactly, a few days of relaxation or something a bit longer term?'

He observes Meddler closely to see how he reacts to his questions. 'I do hope there are no financial implications, I understand since Viscount Cardwell's innovations things have been rather more difficult for our illustrious officer class.'

He hopes that by asking within earshot of Gertrude, Meddler might be a little more upfront for fear his sister will contradict him.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm
by Philulhu
Vic emerged from the secret passage, hot, bothered and covered in cobwebs. She tried to remove the worst of them, but it was really too hot to care.

She heard the others call out to her and headed over to the lawn, trying to rub the dirt from her hands as she went.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 pm
by aine
Isolde grabs a parasol and follows the others out onto the lawn.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander follows her outside and joins them too.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 pm
by HoneyDog
”Let’s just say Cardwell’s reforms are causing a lot of difficulties” Meddler bitterly. Gertrude casts him a sympathetic look.

On the lawn tables and chairs have been set out. George is seated already and Bates is in attendance. The tables are laden with sponge cakes, scones, butter and jams, with several teapots. As the investigators get seated, Gertrude and Bates begin serving. The food is delicious and everybody relishes the chance to satisfy a craving for the sweet foods they have been missing.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:41 pm
by Philulhu
Vic buttered herself a scone and took a bite. Chewing it, she asked, “Have you baked these yourself, Mrs Forby?”

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is grateful for the food, which is a nice change from the usual bland fare they've been eating. He seriously doubts Mrs. Forby baked this herself when she has a cook available.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 am
by HoneyDog
”Yes, with Mrs. Bates help” says Gertrude.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:35 am
by aine
“This is a beautiful sponge cake, Gertrude, it’s ever so light. However did you manage; the heat must play havoc with your housekeeping!” Isolde enjoys the cake and the first decent cup of tea since she’s been here.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Guys, please read the posts more carefully, Forby isn’t there. He’s having his nap. I mentioned George & Bates in attendance. I would have mentioned if Forby was too. I know it’s troublesome but you have to read back through the posts to know what is happening, or keep notes. I edited the above posts accordingly.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Yes, delicious, thank you very much Mrs Forby says Harry with some gusto. 'If you will excuse me I mean to ask Bates to prepare a ladder and lantern to take a look in the attic, must keep looking for that treasure!'

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 am
by Philulhu
”It must be difficult trying to keep Mr. Forby comfortable in this heat,” said Vic to Gertrude Forby, conversationally.

“Pray tell, where did the two of you meet?”

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, thank ye," says Alexander, enjoying a buttered scone. "This is wonderful! It's too bad Mr. Forby cannae partake of this fare, given his condition."

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:53 pm
by aine
“Yes indeed; Id have thought it would raise Mr Forby’s spirits to partake of this wonderful tea. Anything to take his mind off the treasure; it’s not healthy to dwell on it quite so much.” Remarks Isolde.

“And finding the treasure is not going to solve all his problems; It’s going to attract all sorts of attention, both good and bad. And no amount of wealth can improve one’s health; I feel we should be looking for a way to improve Mr Forby’s health as much as look for his treasure!

Do you know what his plans are should the treasure be found?”

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:44 pm
by HoneyDog
The conversation is suddenly interrupted by a terrible screeching noise, which causes George to spill his drink in alarm. Looking up, it is plain to see that the cause is one of the top floor windows being shoved open, as standing in the frame is none other than Harry Forby. His face is red with rage, and as he shouts at those down below, he shakes his fist in furious anger.

“What is this!” he bellows. “Wait until I’m in my bed, and then have yourselves a little party, eh? I should have known! Betrayal! It must be you they’re speaking about, Gertrude! It’s you who’s against me, no? Having a little celebration in anticipation of getting you grubby mitts on my treasure! How could you do this! I wish I was dead already, and save you all the bother!”

With that, he slams the window down.

In the shocked silence that follows, Gertrude burst into tears, and George looks like he is about to follow.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm
by aine
Isolde sighs, she stands up with her parasol and holds her hand out to Gertrude, “Come on , Gertrude, let’s leave the gentlemen and go somewhere quiet. Liv, will you come too? And, George, as young master of the house, will you preside over tea whilst the ladies take a turn around the garden?”

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:06 pm
by Philulhu
Isolde,Liv? Do you mean Vic?

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall I go try to talk to him?" Alexander asks.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude recovers herself. Dabbing at her eyes, she waves away the offers.

“There’s no need. Please, continue your tea. You mustn’t blame Harry, he’s under terrible strain.”

“Oh, stop making excuses for him Gertude!” says Meddler angrily. “He has no right to talk that way! He’s most ungrateful!”

Meddler stands up.

“It’s really too much! I’ve had enough of his tantrums!”

He storms off towards the back of the house, as Gertrude watches him go, looking miserable.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:40 am
by Philulhu
”Perhaps you might go and check that Mr Forby is all right?” said Vic to Alexander, concerned that Meddler might be about to have it out with him.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander, excusing himself and heading inside, though he knows there's little he can do to stop Meddler if he decides to get violent.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 pm
by aine
“Step softly, Alexander; maybe you can learn something, if you catch my drift.” Isolde whispers after him.
Ooc,Sorry Vic and GM; I’ve got serious mashed potato head at the moment!

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Meddler however doesn’t head inside, but continues walking towards the woods.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

Not wanting to lose sight of Meddler, which he'd have to do if he went back and told the others, Alexander follows him from a distance, taking care not to be seen or heard. Stealth isn't his strong suit, so he just has to hope that Meddler is distracted.
OOC,Sneak roll (10% base skill) following [b]Meddler[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler turns and looks at Alexander.

“What do you want?” he says bluntly.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I just want you not to be angry at Harry Forby," says Alexander. "His outbursts are due to his condition and are not his fault. He didn't mean to hurt your sister."

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:42 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Does Harry Brown hear any of this outburst from Mr Forby?

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:54 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,“Well, you’ve been here a few days, so you won’t be familiar with his petty tyrannies. So please don’t tell me how I should feel. Good day to you.” With that, Meddler strides off.
Harry,Harry Brown was having tea with the others, so he must have.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:43 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Ah, I'd thought he had headed off to find Bates to get in the attic
'If you will excuse me ladies I have a few matters to attend to' says Harry before heading off to have words with Mr Forby.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good day," says Alexander. He heads back for the house to look for any other members of his group to inform them that Meddler went into the woods before heading inside to talk to Forby.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 am
by HoneyDog
Mephistophilis,Sorry you’re confusing me. Forby just shouted at everyone from the window. Bates is at the tea party. I thought I’d made all this clear.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Sorry, Harry asked Bates to get him a ladder, I assumed they'd gone off, but if they haven't gone yet I think Harry would return to the house to talk to Forby

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:24 pm
by HoneyDog
“Excuse me sir” says Bates to Harry. “When the tea is finished, I will assist you in entering the attic. Although I must say, it doesn’t contain very much.”
OOC,When the tea is over, you still have time to pursue various activities. Rhoda's diaries have not been fully read yet.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Thank you Bates, that will be very helpful. When looking for a hidden treasure it is always prudent to check the cellar and the attic' says Harry.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,After I talk to [b]Harry Forby[/b], I'd like to get back to reading [b]Rhoda[/b]'s diaries.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I don’t think the secret passage is giving up any information, so Vic will join Alexander in the library to read Rhoda’s diaries.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 pm
by aine
As the others leave and the remains of tea are cleared away, Isolde says to George, “Maybe you could take some of these crumbs to your ferret, George.” Hoping she might be left with Gertrude for a moment.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 pm
by Philulhu
”I can help you with that, if you like?” Vic said to George. She picked up a serviette and swept some of the crumbs into a pile.

She smiled at the youngster and asked, ”Does your ferret have a name?”

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
Harry goes with Bates to access the attic. Bates provides a ladder and lantern and Harry is able to enter.

It is stiflingly hot, almost unbearable – the sweat instantly starts to pour off his face. There isn’t very much it seems, as Bates said. Several items which could be furniture are draped and scattered around, while there are also a few boxes.

“Ferret?” queries Gertrude. George, are you keeping those animals again?”

She looks angry.

“Last time one got loose and killed some hens, don’t you remember? You’re not to keep animals! Show me where it is, now!”

George looks distraught. As he is led away by his mother, he casts a hateful look back at Isolde.

“I thought you could keep a secret!” he shouts tearfully.
OOC,If you go to the library now, you'll need to roll English again to access relevant information.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Does this mean we can't talk to [b]Harry Forby[/b] now?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander meanwhile makes his way to Harry Forby's bedroom. The door is closed, so he knocks.

"What is it?" comes the voice from inside.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's Alexander," says Alexander. "I'd like to talk to you."

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:28 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh, come in then" says Forby, gruffly.

As Alexander enters, he sees Forby sitting at a writing desk against the wall. He is still wearing his dressing gown, and looks irritated at being disturbed.

"What is it, Alexander?" he asks.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry to bother you," says Alexander. "I was hoping to smooth things over between you and your wife. She does love you, and she was truly upset that you were angry. She was apparently under the impression that you didn't want to join her for tea. I think it was all a misunderstanding."

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:12 am
by HoneyDog
“Didn’t want to join?” Forby exclaims. “I was asleep! What choice did I get in the matter.”

But he calms down.

“You’re right of course, Alexander he says more softly. “I’ve been an absolute beast. I will apologise for my outburst. To everyone of course. It’s this infernal heat! And my head! I can’t think straight. Sometimes I do wish it would all end.”

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm
by aine
Isolde runs after Gertrude, “Gertrude, wait!” When she gets closer she says, “George, please walk ahead as I want to talk to your mother.
Gertrude, Before I was a medium I was a governess and I’ve had lots of experience with small boys. This ferret is important to George and it is very good for him.

This is a difficult time for George with his father being ill; the ferret takes his mind off brooding and besides, it’s teaching him to be responsible and diligent.

If you’re worried about the ferret escaping then I’ll ask one of the gentlemen to help George build a proper cage for it; it’s better for everyone to be open; secrets can be very damaging in the long run.”

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 pm
by Philulhu
Vic sighed as she watched every troop off. She looked at the deserted picnic, shrugged, helped herself to another scone, and headed off to the library.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
'As you said,' Harry shouts down to Bates, 'just a few boxes but I'll have a quick look through them.'

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:26 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude hesitates, and looks at George.

“Very well. You make a convincing argument, Miss Beauchant. Although you do realise that he’s only going to dissect it.”

To George, she says “Get Old Fred to make sure the cage is strong enough. And if it escapes, it’s on your head.”

“Thanks Mother!” says George happily, his spirits restored.
OOC,I'll assume that Isolde goes to the library now. Everyone who is looking at the diaries, please roll English.
Harry begins searching through the boxes. The heat is almost unbearable.
OOC,Harry won’t find anything so there’s not much point in spending time on this. I’ll say he’s up there for about 30 minutes, but he’ll need to rest afterwards due to the heat, so it’s about an hour in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Harry," says Alexander. "Perhaps you will feel better once we've found the treasure. I'll see you this evening, and I hope your condition improves." He returns to the library and settles down to peruse Rhoda's diaries some more.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:40 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander gets back to Rhoda’s diaries, picking up at the spot which had begun to describe the aftermath of Aleister’s death.

Rhoda makes reference to a document she found on Aleister’s desk after his death. Rather than destroy it, she sealed it in an envelope and gave it “to the man I trust most in this world”.
OOC,Both Isolde and Vic can still make a roll.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:06 am
by Philulhu
Vic joins Alwxander and Isolde in the library and starts reading Rhoda’s diaries.
Library use,Library use (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You need to roll English.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Oops! Vic’s skill in English is 75% so higher than Library Use. Can I keep the roll?

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Vic picks up on another relevant entry.

During the funeral for his father, Harry Forby suffered greatly from the heat. He was rushed to bed afterwards, but that night he began crying that a ‘green man’ was blundering about the house trying to get in. This nightmare began the first symptoms of the near-fatal ‘brain fever’ that overtook him. Rhoda determined that the housemaid’s careless gossip about Nicholas’ death had scared Harry, and sacked her.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm
by aine
Isolde returns to the library glad that one of the family is happy for a while, although she wonders if George is destined to a similar fate to his forefathers. She picks up a diary,
English,80 [dice]0[/dice]
She finds it hard to concentrate; as she sees it, all the men of this family have succumbed to a strange brain fever. What could have brought this on- Something that only affected them and no one else in the house.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Does Vic recognise the reference to the housemaid? (I’ve searched through previous posts but didn’t come across any references).

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can have another English roll, but of course it means that it takes more time. It's about 3pm now. There's no other reference to the housemaid.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Rhoda obviously entrusted this document to Dr. Jeffries," says Alexander. "We'll have to get him to show it to us when we speak to him, but he may take some convincing. Harry Forby's condition may be what can get through to him. The consequences of his father's death may still be affecting him."

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 pm
by Philulhu
”There’s a reference to a housemaid being sacked for gossiping - I wonder what she said that so upset Harry?” said Vic, continuing to turn the pages of the diary.
OOC,English (75%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Vic reads that the last reference to these events describes the planting of the rose garden in front of the house in Aleister's memory. The diaries then return to the recounting of household and business calls.

This seems to be the the conclusion of the biographical details relating to this sad saga - at least those contained within the library.
OOC,What would you like to do now? There is still plenty of time left before dinner.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown, having recovered from the sweltering heat of the attic, will ask Alexander what happened with Meddler and Forby.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:04 pm
by aine
“Now that we seem to have read everything we’ve found so far, it might be an idea to pool our ideas and findings to try and make sense of it all.” Says Isolde as she closes the diary.
Also, we should consider the outcomes should Alexander find the emerald tonight- I fear it may prove to be a catalyst for disaster.”

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander tells Harry what he had seen Meddler doing and the contents of his conversations with him and Forby. "Aye, that is a concern, but things are nae so good as it is. Better that we find the emerald than someone else beat us to it. Getrude may trust her brother and let it slip to him, for example."
OOC,Is there enough time to visit [b]Dr. Jeffries[/b]?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:11 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, if you leave now you'll reach the village by 4pm.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:35 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[quote="HoneyDog"]This seems to be the the conclusion of the biographical details relating to this sad saga - [u]at least those contained within the library.[/u][/quote] (My emphasis). Are there any other sources of information we have missed?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:43 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,We need to talk to the doctor! I'd also be tempted to see what Meddler's up to

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There’s nothing more among the books in the library. If there is other information, it is up to you to find it. You can look for Meddler but you don’t know where he is, so you may not be successful in finding him. Shall we move on to the village and finding the Doctor?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:54 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Happy to try the Doc now.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Agreed.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 am
by HoneyDog
Bates kindly agrees to drive the horse and carriage and the companions set off through the afternoon heat towards the village. The sun is moving west now, but it still beats down mercilessly on the party, who are soon soaked with sweat.

They are heartily glad when the turn a corner and Granton’s Bridge arrives in view. Bates points out the Doctor’s house and surgery, one of the bigger buildings in the village. It is very well kept although the garden is obviously suffering from a lack of water. The brass plate on the gate proclaims this as Jeffries’ residence, and also that he is an MD and a magistrate. Bates drops the companions and returns to Forby House.

The door is opened by a hearty looking man in his mid-sixties, with a luxuriant beard. He is dressed in tweed, even with the temperature, which doesn’t seem to bother him.

“Oh!” he exclaims when he sees the four companions. “It’s been a slow day today, but suddenly I have have four patients to see to! Unless it’s some other business you have in mind?” He regards them shrewdly.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:32 pm
by Philulhu
Vic glanced at the others and stepped forward. “Dr. Jeffries?” she said politely. “We are a friend and acquaintances of Harry Forby. He asked us to come and see him, to try to help to get to the bottom of the malady that is afflicting him. May we speak with you?”

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
“Ah” says Jeffries. “I suspected as much. I’ve been expecting you – actually I thought you might have come earlier. Do come in”.

He leads the way to his sitting room, and directs the companions to sit down.

“I’m sorry, my maid is away visiting family, so I will have to wait upon you. I’m very capable when it comes to making tea though. Would you care for some?”

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, thank ye kindly," says Alexander, following him inside and taking a seat. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell - Doctor of Science, not Medicine like yourself. Harry was a mate of mine in school. His condition seems to be worsening, and it looks like it started at the time of his father's passing."

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:10 pm
by aine
“Good afternoon, I’m Miss Beauchant. A pleasure to meet you, Dr Jeffries.” Isolde introduces herself as she enters the house but she is happy just to listen to the conversation for now whilst tea is served.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
“Nice to meet you all. Yes..” Jeffries says at Alexander’s statement. “Listen, let me get you some tea and then we can converse more.”

He disappears from the room, and after an interval reappears with a tray containing a teapot and cups and saucers, with a plate of biscuits. Busying himself with serving, he continues the conversation.

“Yes, Harry’s headaches began around that point. I know that they cause him a lot of problems, but honestly a lot of it’s due to the heat. He’s not so garrulous when the temperature is milder. This treasure hunt you’ve embarked on for him is an excellent distraction. Pray tell, have you made any progress? I’m a bit skeptical myself”.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we found a new clue that leads us closer to finding the treasure," says Alexander. "The search for the treasure does distract him from other things. What would happen if we did manage to find it, though? He would need a new distraction."

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m sure that the wealth the treasure would bring, if it is in fact real, will be distraction enough” replies Jeffries, sipping his tea.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that makes sense," says Alexander. "I'm sure you had many discussions about his condition with his mother. Were you able to help her with it?"

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:17 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries thinks.

“Well, I’ve been mainly concerned with helping him, as he is the one suffering. They really began after the death of his father. They come and go, mainly due to the heat I think. Having him concentrate on other things helps. This year is particularly bad.”

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:59 am
by aine
“Dr Jeffries, he’s lived with this condition nearly all his life; if the heat makes it so bad, why didn’t he move to somewhere cooler; Scotland for example?” Isolde looks at Alexander with a slight smile. She thinks it seems strange that the doctor is so positive towards the emerald which is surely a mad fixation for Harry.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 am
by HoneyDog
”Well, this is his family home. And such heat isn’t typical of every summer, is it?” comes the reply.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Harry Brown, pleased to meet you Dr Jeffries. Could there be anything heritable in Mr Forby's condition? His father suffered from something similar didn't he?'

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
“It’s a very good question, Mr. Brown. Aleister suffered from severe headaches for a lot of his adult life. I have to be frank though, I’m a little bit uncomfortable discussing Harry’s condition without his permission.”

Jeffries begins to fill a pipe with tobacco, a frown on his face.
OOC,A successful Persuade roll will be needed to get him to open up more.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:30 pm
by aine
Persuade,45 [dice]0[/dice]
“Dr Jeffries, we really wish to help the Forby family and Mr Forby in particular; it’s the reason he invited us.

If you can shed any light on this curious malaise that seems to have affected all three generations or indeed anything else curious that may help us we would be very much in your debt.

If you would be happier discussing it with Dr Campbell as he is a particular friend of Mr Forby then you have only to say the word.”
Says Isolde.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm
by Philulhu
Vic supped her tea and listened intently.
OOC,Not got much to add at the mo’ but I am still here! ;)

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries lights his pipe. The tobacco smells foul.

“Well, yes, that’s true” he relents. “But I trust you’ll be confidential of course. Nicholas Forby, of course, probably suffered from lead poisoning due to his art. But I can’t quite explain why Aleister suffered from such headaches. In Harry’s case, they started after Aleister’s death. His condition, the ‘brain fever’ as he likes to call it, was quite bad around that time, but he improved and it has only reoccurred very occasionally. I believe that the extraordinary summer we’re having now has brought it about with renewed vigour. It should relent as the heat dissipates. That’s why it’s good to have something to take his mind off it.”

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, perhaps he could buy a second home in Scotland and spend the summer there, where it's nae so hot," says Alexander. "Once we find the emerald, he'll easily be able to afford it. Why, the Queen herself is known to spend time in Scotland. It is a bit odd that men in all three generations have suffered from the same malady. When did Aleister's headaches start?" He wonders if they began when his father Nicholas died, though it doesn't really make any scientific sense.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:18 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, it's not the same malady, as I thought I had just explained. Nicholas obviously had lead poisoning, while Aleister and Harry had some other ailment, the root of which we couldn't identify. Lead poisoning is not hereditary. The ailment may be more emotional than physical. For Aleister, it started in his twenties, and got worse. Harry does not seem to suffer it as badly."

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:05 pm
by Philulhu
”What might lead to such emotional malaise, Doctor Jeffries? asked Vic.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 pm
by aine
Isolde muses, “Aleister was 18 when his father died; his mother died in his twenties; is there a connection?”.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:04 am
by HoneyDog
“Well, for Harry, it started with the death of his father. Harry was the one who found him, poor chap.”

Jeffries looks sad.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"How did it start with Aleister?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:57 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m really not sure. He mainly suffered when the temperature grew higher. The summer he died was also unusually hot, like this one.”

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a bad sign," says Alexander. "I am rather concerned about Harry, but at least his symptoms aren't as bad as his father's were. Why does it only seem to affect men and not women, I wonder?"

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries looks confused.

“What women?” he asks. “The wives? You can't inherit a hereditary ailment through marriage."

He shakes his head as he taps out his pipe.

"Do you have any further questions for me, or have I satisfied your curiousity?"

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I thought you meant that the ailment wasn't hereditary when you said it was more emotional than physical," says Alexander. "Actually, we wanted to speak to you about Rhoda Forby as well. I understand that she came to trust and depend upon you."

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:28 am
by HoneyDog
“Conditions of the mind can also be passed on. I suspect that this might have happened with the Forby men.”

Jeffries pauses.

“Yes, Rhoda Forby and I were close. I was her physician for many years.”

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:48 am
by aine
“How well did Rhoda cope after her husband died?” Asks Isolde. She watches the doctor carefully to see if he might have had romantic feelings for Rhoda and is hiding something.
Psychology,53[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
Jeffries is silent for a moment.

“She was shocked and very distraught. His death was unexpected and the manner in which it happened…”

He trails off, but continues after a moment.

“But she was a very strong woman. She could deal with whatever came her way.”
Isolde,Jeffries obviously remembers Rhoda with fondness. Whether it is romantic or not, it’s hard to tell. But you have the diary entries to help you figure out their relationship.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Rhoda Forby's diaries are still in the library at Forby House' says Harry, interested to see what reaction this elicits in Jeffries.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
While the others asked their questions, Vic glanced around the room, looking for signs that anything was amiss.
OOC,Specifically, Vic is looking for any signs of a less-than-professional relationship e.g. photos of Jeffries and Rhoda together, for example. Spot Hidden (25%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries looks at Harry when he makes his statement.

Rhoda wrote about us in her diaries? Then I’m sure you will know that nothing untoward happened. While we may have been in love, our affair was strictly platonic and more like the relationship you will find between close friends. Rhoda would never behave indiscreetly and she was committed to Alestair. She wouldn’t even remarry after his death.”

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry coughs, 'Dr Jeffries, I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. I did not intend to make any such accusation. I mention the diaries because Rhoda Forby stated that she discovered a document after her husband's death that she entrusted to “to the man I trust most in this world”. I wondered if you knew anything about it.'

Harry hopes that this little insight into Rhoda's affection for him might encourage Dr Jeffries to be a little more forthcoming.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I cannae think of anyone she would trust more than you," says Alexander.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:52 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes, Rhoda entrusted me with a letter, which I still have. I regard it as a sacred trust, an example of her faith in me, so I have never opened it, although I have speculated at the contents.”

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked sharply at Dr. Jeffries. ”That letter may hold a vital clue to the unravelling off this mystery,” she said, trying to keep her tone even. “We would beseech you to open it and share the contents. It may save Harry Forby’s life!”

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:01 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries hesitates a moment, then nods.

“Perhaps it’s time then.”

He stands and leaves the room, returning shortly with an envelope. Taking an opener, he slits it open and takes out the letter. He reads silently, and then his eyes grow wide.

“Good God!” he exclaims.

He passes the letter to Vic, and sits down heavily in his chair. The companions crowd around to read it.

Rhoda

I found a cache of papers – I will not say where, save that through all my search the secret was before my eyes. I have returned them whence I found them, for my heart is sick with what I learned there. My soul aches with a pain worse than that in my head. Now I know the truth of the Green Man of which the village beldames whisper. Now I know where my treasure can be found, and in God’s name I wish I had never come to the conclusion of my search.

I will investigate, if only in the hope that it be lies or deluded ramblings. I will go alone to shield the family honour, but I swear that I will go armed.

Rhoda, if you find this, no matter what else it seems, know that I was, like my father, most foully and treacherously murdered.

Aleister

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:37 pm
by aine
“Oh my word!” Murmurs Isolde as she collapses back into her chair. “How awful! And poor Rhonda never knew the truth of the matter. I’ve come across the mention of this Green Man in the diaries; Dr Jeffries, have you heard about it? Maybe from the villagers?”

She looks round at everyone,
“Do you think the secret is the emerald? That he found it but for some reason didn’t reveal it? And then was murdered.” Isolde looks up in alarm. “Harry isn’t safe then; we shouldn’t have left them alone! We must head back at once!”

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:42 pm
by Philulhu
Vic puts the letter down with a shaking hand. “Will the emerald lead us to the green man?” she stammered.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
'But what is this "Green Man"? The only monster we've seen so far has had a much more mundane explanation exclaims Harry. 'Is there anything more we could find out about the "Green Man" or how it might be connected with the treasure?'

Harry thinks for a moment, 'Could the green man not be a monster at all, but perhaps a statue, a statue covered in verdigris?'

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm
by Philulhu
”Is not the ‘Green Man’ some sort of pagan forest god?” asked Vic.
OOC,Did we see any books about folklore back in the library?

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Jeffries is listening to the theories being expounded, and with a deep voice, he pronounces “Hush!”

His brow is furrowed in concentration.

Aleister was most definitely not murdered. He killed himself, I’m certain of it and so were the police and coroner. He shot himself in the head, and the revolver was in his hand. There was no other sign of violence to his person. We concluded that his headaches had grown so that he could no longer think rationally, and so took his own life to alleviate the pain of them.”

He looks around at the companions.

“As for the Green Man, it’s a common enough legend throughout England, throughout Europe even! A nature spirit of some kind. It’s a local legend for sure, the villagers sometimes gossip about it, delighting in the superstition. As for it being the cause of Aleister Forby’s death, it’s preposterous! And what is this talk about a monster, Mr. Brown? And the statue? Come now! Be rational man!”
OOC,You'll have to roll Library Use and state that you're looking for books related to a specific topic.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I think the cache of papers referred to by Aleister Forby are the very same rediscovered by myself and Miss Miller. They are from Nicholas Forby and do indeed indicate how to find the treasure. But I suspect it is not that which so exercised Aleister Forby but rather...ahem...other information it contained about his parents' relationship. But there is also reference to 'the green eyed rooster's egg' whatever that might mean. I certainly don't mean to say the "Green Man" killed anyone, I was just wondering what Aleister Forby might have meant by knowing the truth of it given we don't think he meant that literally.'

Harry looks thoughtful, 'I'll concede that suicide seems most likely for Aleister Forby's death but we know for a fact someone is trying to scare Harry Forby, I for one have wondered if he could be being poisoned, and Aleister Forby seemed to think someone, or something was after him.'

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:17 pm
by aine
Isolde looks doubtful, “ I don’t know; it reads as if Aleister is almost expecting to die: he expects to be murdered. It doesn’t then make sense that he dies by his own hand. Unless he is possessed by something that forces his hand to pull the trigger.“ she shakes her head.
“As for Harry, I donot understand why he has been prescribed such a dull diet and such a dull regime; why, he wasn’t even allowed to parttake of tea with his family. A lightening of spirits would be a tonic for him. Dr Jeffries, can you help me with this? And what medicine have you prescribed him?”

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:15 am
by HoneyDog
“I really don’t think now is the time to be discussing Harry’s diet” says Jeffries irritably. “And he’s not being poisoned – he displays no such symptoms. Harry claims to have seen the Green Man – recently and around the time of his father’s death. If someone is trying to frighten him, it’s working, but to what end? The treasure? If you know its location, I strongly suggest that you retrieve it as soon as possible!”

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, my thoughts exactly," says Alexander. "We can't actually reveal its location until sunset, but we intend to do so then in the presence of the Forbys. We know what room it's in, but not yet the exact hiding place within that room. The papers we found contain a riddle that I believe I've solved that will allow us to expose the treasure at that time."

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:49 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries stands up.

“Excellent! Well, you have a few hours to wait. I want to know the nature of this secret which has been troubling us all these years! Tell the Forbys that I will look in on them tomorrow.”

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:19 am
by Philulhu
”We will,” replied Vic. “Thank you for your time today.”

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your time and your help, Doctor," adds Alexander.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 am
by HoneyDog
Jeffries sees the investigators out, and they begin the walk back to Forby Manor. The heat has not relented, but the sun is beginning to set so at least they do not have to walk under its merciless glare.

After about ten minutes however they see a familiar figure coming towards them, albeit one wearing an expression of concern.

“Good afternoon”
says Bates, as he draws near. “I’m on my way to look for Connie. She was supposed to have returned by now. You haven’t seen her, by chance?”

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I haven't," says Alexander. "Not since she left at lunchtime. Where was she headed?"

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:20 am
by HoneyDog
“She was visiting family who live in a farmhouse nearby. I’m on my way there now – I didn’t want to cut through the fields at my age, so I took the road. We’re quite worried, it’s not like her to be late at all. Would you mind accompanying me?”

Bates' face is full of worry.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course I'll go with ye," says Alexander. "The Forbys will understand why we're late, and we can explain it when we get back. It's too bad this area isna wired for telephones yet like London is starting to be. If it were, we could call from Dr. Jeffries's place and let them know."

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:46 am
by HoneyDog
Bates brightens up and leads the investigators back the way they came. Before they reach the village Bates turns into a lane and eventually they reach a well-kept farmhouse.

The door is opened by a kindly-looking woman, who opens her mouth in surprise.

Mr. Bates! Whatever are you doing here?” she exclaims.

“I’m looking for Connie, Mrs. Woods. She’s not back yet.”

“She left about an hour and a half ago. I told her to take the road, but she said she didn’t want to be late. She was going to cut through the woods.”

“We’ll head that way then.”

Bates leads the way across the fields as the shadows lengthen. Approaching the woods bordering the Forby property, the companions can see a human form, lying in the grass.

Connie!” shouts Bates.

Hurrying towards her, he kneels next to her.

“She’s alive!”
OOC,Roll First Aid or Medicine to revive Connie.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 am
by Philulhu
Vic knelt next to Connie, checking her breathing and feeling for a pulse. She tapped the young woman’s cheek and spoke her name to try to bring her round.
First Aid,First Aid (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:39 am
by HoneyDog
Vic’s administrations bring Connie around, and she sits up suddenly with a gasp. She looks frightened out of her wits, but the sight of Bates calms her down. However, despite questioning, she seems unfocused and is unable to speak.

“We’d better get her back home” says Bates. “She’s in shock.”

With the companions supporting her, the party is able to make its way through the wood and back to Forby Manor, where Connie’s condition is greeted with a great deal of shock and concern.

Eventually, after being consigned to her bed and with the help of hot tea and brandy, she is able to recount what happened.

“I was crossing through the spinney, and I saw a man, naked, but he was all green, and his head was… wrong, it weren’t like any man. He was rolling in the grass and bellowing like an animal. I just ran and kept running till I was back in the field, and that’s all I remember.”

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks pointedly at the others, 'Is Lt Meddler back? Perhaps we should go and investigate.'

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45 am
by Philulhu
”Did he touch you in any way or did you just faint?” asked Vic.
OOC,Where is the Spinney in relation to the house?

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's past the ice house.
“No” says Connie. “I don’t even know if he… it… saw me”.

“She’d better rest” says Gertrude, shooing everyone out.

Mrs. Bates stays with Connie while Gertrude asks Bates to gather the companions and the rest of the household , bar George, in the dining room.

Harry Forby arrives, supported by Meddler.

“What on earth has been going on?” he asks. “Is Connie well? What did she see? Was it…?’

He leaves the sentence unfinished, but his fear is plain to see.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown looks long and hard at Meddler, trying to see any sign of the 'green' colouring, or mud but he is immaculately dressed as always. 'Should we go and check to make sure this individual is not still at large?'
OOC,Spot Hidden 60% if needed [dice]0[/dice] FAIL

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am
by Philulhu
”Perhaps if we take the dog, he might be able to find the scent and follow any trail left by this ‘green man’,” suggested Vic.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
"Green Man?" Forby exclaims. "She saw the Green Man?"

He staggers, and Meddler has to steady him.

"Harry!" says Gertrude, rushing to him. "We will deal with this. I want you to go back to bed."

"Come on, old chap" says Meddler. "We should get you upstairs. No arguments now!"

Gertrude looks back over her shoulder.

"Please wait hear for me" she says, as she and her brother lead Harry away.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It sounds to me like we're dealing with a man who's gone mad, painted himself green, put on an animal mask, and is living in the woods," says Alexander.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:44 pm
by aine
Isolde looks hard at Alexander, “Remember last winter on Dartmoor? We may have something similar here; we shouldn’t discount it.” She says meaningfully and then she says,
“Poor Connie has been dreadfully frightened; she should rest. And Mr Forby, you at least can feel like you are not imagining things after all, however odd they seem.”

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:29 am
by HoneyDog
Presently, Gertrude and Meddler return.

Harry will be fine” Gertrude tells the investigators firmly. “It seems very likely that the man Connie saw was using the costume you found, Mr. Brown. It's not some mythical monster.”

“It will be dark soon” says Meddler. “We’re unlikely to be able to find his tracks. The best course of action is to stay here, and be vigilant throughout the night.”

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Or a similar costume, rather," says Alexander. "How could he possibly be using the same costume, when it's already been recovered?"

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:43 am
by HoneyDog
“Wasn’t it returned to the place you found it?” says Gertrude. “Well, he must have made another, at least partially. Connie said that he was mostly naked.”

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:00 am
by Philulhu
”Shouldn’t we check and see if it’s still there?” asked Vic.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 am
by Mephistophilis
'We left the costume in place' Harry affirms. 'I'm not sure there is much to be gained from leaving it there further, and we might prevent someone else being frightened if we recover it'.

Given all this is being discussed in front of his prime suspect, Lt Meddler, Harry doubts there is any value in proposing lying in wait tonight as he has already been tipped off.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:19 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’d rather you didn’t” says Gertrude. “The quarry is dangerous enough in daylight, and it is getting darker. I’ll feel much more comfortable with you all in the house. We’ll serve dinner soon.”

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 pm
by aine
“Oh good.” Says Isolde. “I’m almost hungry after that trip to the village, or maybe that lovely tea has improved my appetite.”

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, some food would be lovely," says Alexander.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 am
by HoneyDog
Soon enough dinner is served. Despite Connie not being available, to help, Mrs. Bates serves up a roast chicken, which is appreciated by all, especially Harry Forby. Although the food lightens the spirits, the mood is still tense, and nearly everyone eats in silence, apart from George, babbling about his ferret.
OOC,What are the plans for after dinner?

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think that after dinner we should bring a mirror to the library and try to reveal the treasure to the [b]Forbys[/b], as we'd planned.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:07 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Certainly, it's time. I will assume all companions are there to see the secret revealed.
Dinner passes without incident, and with the exception of a grumpy Meddler and a curious George, the parties meet in the library, where Bates has placed a large standing mirror, as requested.

The Forbys, especially Harry, are eagerly awaiting events, and look expectantly at Alexander.

Outside, the dogs begin to howl in unison.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"First, we need to light the fireplace," says Alexander.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:50 am
by HoneyDog
“A fire? In this heat?” says Forby doubtfully. “Very well. Bates, would you?”

Materials for a fire are not present but within ten minutes Bates has laid some kindling and is stoking a blaze, sweating profusely as he does so.

“What now?” asks Forby, fanning himself.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 pm
by Philulhu
The hairs on Vic’s neck stood on end with the howling of the dogs.

Alexander?” she prompted, looking from him to the fireplace.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Your grandfather wrote: 'I’faith I shall mimic Perseus, an amusing conceit, and with the gift of Prometheus dispel the night from Apollo’s bower. Where’er this light do shine, there I will conceal it. I shall conceal it, I mock you, my green ey’d rooster’s egg. For it is mine,'" Alexander says to Harry Forby. "The gift of Prometheus is fire, and it is now night. Perseus used the reflective surface of his shield to reflect Medusa's gaze back at her, and now we must use a mirror to reflect the light from the fire to reveal the treasure's hiding place. Please put out all of the other lights in the room, so that only the firelight shines."

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:31 am
by HoneyDog
Bates shuts out the lights, and waits expectantly.

The room is now dark apart from the firelight, and it's reflection in the mirror.

The howling increases in volume.
OOC,Where would you shine the reflected light?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"And angle of incidence equals angle of reflection," says Alexander, using the mirror to reflect the firelight at the portrait of Nicholas Forby hanging above the fireplace, specifically at the emerald in the portrait.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:19 am
by HoneyDog
The light reflected by the mirror alights on the emerald in the portrait as planned. But nothing happens and nothing is revealed.
OOC,Look at the riddle Alexander just quoted more closely. The answer is there.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am
by Mephistophilis
'Did we think Apollo's bower was the laurels outside?' asks Harry.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:48 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Apart from the trees, do you remember what else the reference to 'bay' might allude to?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,A tree? An inlet of water? A horse?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Window?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:39 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Bay leaf?

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,In Keats's poetry Apollo's bower is art, poetry in particular, a form of immortality

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 am
by HoneyDog
Mephistophilis,Yes! The bay windows.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Apollo's Bower is a reference to the fireplace, I thought," says Alexander. "That's where the papers were hidden. Perhaps, like Perseus, I have to reflect the firelight at the eyes of the portrait." He adjusts the mirror to aim the light at the portrait's eyes.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:26 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry gives an embarrased cough, 'um, perhaps the bay window Dr Campbell'.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, right," says Alexander, redirecting the firelight to the bay window.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:14 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander angles the light so that it hits the window on the right of the fireplace. Looking through the window, the beam can be seen to be landing in the location of the statue, Icarus.

Getting up to see, Harry Forby exclaims excitedly.

“Icarus! Of course! Why didn’t I think of that! It’s so obvious now – it was his masterwork, after all!”

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:45 am
by aine
“In the statue; well! But please, let’s not rush out there, listen to the dogs; someone or something is disturbing them - it might be dangerous! And don’t forget; didnt Aleister get this far and decide not to take the treasure for some very good reason!” Isolde is uncharacteristically very anxious.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:55 am
by Mephistophilis
'You don't think someone is out there do you?' gasps Harry. 'While I don't think we should be hacking away at statues in the middle of the night, I'm worried someone else might get there before us.'

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 am
by HoneyDog
“My father knew where the treasure was?” queries Forby, frowning. “Nonetheless, we must investigate! Bates, prepare some lanterns!”

“You shouldn’t excite yourself too much!” Gertrude pleads. “We can handle this.”

“Nonsense!” comes the reply. “I must see this.”

Bates hesitates, unsure of what to do.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 am
by Mephistophilis
'Where is Lt Meddler?' asks Harry. 'I think he should be here for this'. Harry heads off to Meddler's room, partly because they might benefit from his help and partly to see if he is still in the house.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 am
by HoneyDog
Harry finds Meddler emerging from the dining room, looking anxious.

“I thought you might be Gertrude he says. “What schemes are you fellows hatching now?”

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:15 am
by Mephistophilis
'It looks like we may have found the treasure!' Harry exclaims. 'Mr Forby is organising lanterns so we can take a look'.

Harry wonders whether this turn of events might force Meddler's hand.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm
by aine
Isolde wrings her hands as she hears the dogs howling outside, “Alexander, you and Harry please try to stop this. Say you need to examine the statue scientifically in daylight; anything to stop this madcap scheme tonight! We’ll stand guard on the statue all night if needs be.” Isolde implores the gentlemen, looking at Viv and Gertrude to back her up.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:45 pm
by Philulhu
Vic was torn. She was worried about the howling dogs but at the same time, wanted the mystery solved so they could go home. She eyed the poker in the fire place, reckoning that would teach anyone a lesson...

”Do we need to resolve this tonight?” she asked, hesitantly.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler jerks back in surprise, his eyes wide, before he manages to recover himself.

“I’d better come along” he says quietly.

He follows Harry back to the library, where the discussion on how to proceed is in full swing.
Harry,Harry can roll Psychology to try and gauge Meddler’s reaction.
Miss Beauchant is right, Harry Gertrude is saying. “It’s waited all this time, it can wait until daylight. The strange man that Connie saw could still be around.”

“All the more reason to go now, before he gets it!” replies Forby, stubbornly.

“I agree with Gertrude, old man” says Meddler. “I’m sure that the task, whatever it entails, will be much easier in daylight.”

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Psychology 5%,Not Harry's strong suit, [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 pm
by Philulhu
“What can we see outside?” said Vic, moving to look out of the window. “Is there anything - or anyone - out there?”
OOC,Spot Hidden (25%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry approaches Forby and tries to say something quietly, 'While I admire your gusto Mr Forby, I must warn you that I have a suspicion Nicholas Forby may have hidden more than his treasure within Icarus. If I am correct then we may find a most unpleasant surprise concealed there, something best left 'till daylight.'

Harry feels that now is the time to hint at his rather speculative theory that the casting of Icarus is connected to the death of Lehman. But his motivation for doing so is to have the opportunity to observe Meddler's actions overnight, with the treasure so close.
OOC,Fast Talk?

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,If you want to use it to dissuade Forby from looking at the statue tonight, it’s not necessary.
There doesn’t seem to be anyone outside, but the dogs have not ceased their howling.

With so many arguing against it, Forby begins to falter.

“Very well” he grumbles petulantly. “But I want to look at first light!”

“Do you think the statue may be… booby-trapped?” he asks Harry.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, the dogs are agitated about something out there," says Alexander. "They can be smarter than people in some ways, and being alert to danger is one of them."

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:47 am
by aine
“Could we set lanterns outside and then take watches? Two people at a time? And then at first light, which isn’t long, start excavation?” Suggests Isolde.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m sure one person would be enough” says Meddler. “It’s better that most of us get some decent rest.”

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 am
by Mephistophilis
'I don't know about booby traps' says Harry, 'But I do think it is possible your grandfather had a hand in Lehman's demise'.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 am
by HoneyDog
“What!” Forby explodes, his face turning a fiery shade of red. “You think my grandfather killed Lehman? Why on God’s earth do you think that? I demand you provide some proof of this foul accusation!”

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry tries to placate Forby 'At the moment it is just a theory, but we will know the truth of it tomorrow when we examine the statue'.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:02 am
by HoneyDog
“Just a theory?” Forby splutters. “It’s a damnable accusation, that’s what it is. You’re accusing my grandfather of foul play! The murder of his best friend! Now, tell me why you think so, before I kick you out of this house in disgrace! And you had better be convincing!”

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:23 am
by Mephistophilis
'Perhaps we can discuss it in private?' says Harry, 'there is some...sensitive information in some of the papers we have uncovered.'

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 am
by HoneyDog
Forby is about to shout, but calms himself with some effort.

“Follow me” he says through gritted teeth. He walks out of the library and enters the game room. When Harry has entered, he shuts the door.

“Now talk” he says grimly.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:16 am
by Mephistophilis
'Mr Forby, I'm a plain speaking man. By profession I am an Inquiry Agent. I am used to the more distasteful side of the human condition but I go where the evidence takes me. Telling you this brings me no pleasure.'

Harry reluctantly outlines the information they have found so far on Forby's parentage, showing him some of the diary entries highlighting Nicholas Forby's suspicions and the lengths he went to, using the secret passageway to spy on his wife.

'While this is unpleasant news it is what we have discovered. I do not know the truth of it but it is clear that Nicholas Forby believed it.'

Harry then outlines the period of Nicholas Forby's illness and apparent madness and his developing anger against Lehman. He highlights how Lehman disappears from the records and how that corresponds with a change to the design of the Icarus statue to the strange figure seen today.

Finally he show him the hidden letter from Nicholas and Aleister's annotations indicating his shock at his mother's implied infidelity:
“If a cock crow in another’s nest, then let that rooster a cuckold be. Why should he inherit? I’faith I shall mimic Perseus, an amusing conceit, and with the gift of Prometheus dispel the night from Apollo’s bower. Where’er this light do shine, there I will conceal it. I shall conceal it, I mock you, my green ey’d rooster’s egg. For it is mine.”

He then outlines the letter held by Dr Jeffries (glossing over the relationship with Rhoda Forby) and draws his attention to the final line:
'Rhoda, if you find this, no matter what else it seems, know that I was, like my father, most foully and treacherously murdered.'

'You will, of course, note the ambiguity in Aleister Forby's reference to his 'father' being murdered, I suspect, given his reaction to Nicholas's suspicions, that he meant Lehman.'

Harry sighs, and continues as gently as he can, 'I am fully aware that this is not what you want to hear, indeed it seems your father felt very similarly, although I am not sure what he meant by the reference to being murdered himself. But I could not, in good conscience, allow you to open up the statue without this information available to you.'

'You invited us here to find the family treasure, I believe we have succeeded in that goal. I was also able to find evidence that the Green Man that has been terrorising you has a rather more mundane origin, and that is a loose end we do need to resolve. I have endeavoured to follow the evidence and do my best to assist you. If you feel my sharing my suspicions with you is unacceptable then naturally I would not wish to overstay my welcome. But I would caution that tonight is likely to be the riskiest period, both in terms of others seeking the treasure now its location has been revealed, and also in terms of the Green Man returning, and I would like to offer my services, at least for tonight, even if you wish me to depart tomorrow.'

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Forby listens in silence to Harry’s explanation, but exhibiting all manner of tics and starts as the revelations come to pass.

As the tale ends, he nods slowly, leaning back against the billiard table.

“Thank you for being upfront and candid, Mr. Brown. Being an invalid means that people begin to patronize you after a while, and seek to shelter you from shocking information. Of course, they have grounds to, in my case. Hence my desire for truth. No, my father was not murdered. Although they tried to keep it hidden, I know that he killed himself, and it was somehow hushed up to protect the family name. So I can’t speculate as to what he really meant. As for my lineage, well, one has only to look at the portraits that adorn these walls to know whom my grandfather really was. I suspected it for a long time. The information you’ve supplied indeed point to an intense jealousy on the part of Nicholas, and I’m sure he wasn’t of sound mind towards the end, so perhaps he really did…”

He shudders, and his shoulders sag.

“What an unhappy family!” he exclaims. “What a sordid history! I must be free of it, for George’s sake!”

Standing upright again, a look of determination is fixed upon his face.

“We will get to the bottom of this, I shan’t wait a moment longer. Please assist me further, I’m grateful to you.”

He opens the door, and with Harry following , returns to the library. Opening the doors to the expectant looks of those inside, he announces,

“We will not wait! Bates, prepare the lanterns. We will locate that treasure and end this saga, once and for all!”
OOC,Now in possession of this new knowledge, it looks like Forby has made up his mind. I’ll start a new thread tomorrow, but feel free to add reactions / thoughts / plans etc. here.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:27 pm
by Philulhu
Vic had been fretting about Forby’s response to Harry’s revelations about his family and was surprised when it seemed to have galvanised him into action.

She glanced at Meddler, wondering what his response would be to the news that that the mystery might be resolved.
OOC,Psychology (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
Truth be told, Harry has been raring to test out his theory and find out once and for all where the treasure is concealed. More a man of actions than of words he is invigorated by Forby's new found resolve, 'I am right behind you Mr Forby!'

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd best fetch my shotgun," says Alexander. "Whatever has the dogs upset, be it Green Man or beastie, we should be ready for it."

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:07 am
by aine
Isolde shakes her head and looks at Vic with a ‘typical: men!’ look. She turns to Gertrude, “This could be a dangerous night, it would be best if George was not left alone.” She turns to everyone, “I can sit in George’s room and watch the front lawns from the window; to watch if anyone tries to creep up on you at the statue.”
Ooc,Am I reading the maps correctly?

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:37 am
by HoneyDog
aine,Yes, but owing to the darkness I don't know how likely you would be to see anything. I don't think it would make any difference. It's up to you though.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:16 am
by Philulhu
”If Master George is asleep it might be better to leave him in his bed, but if he’s awake, bring him in here with Mrs Forby and Bates,” said Vic. It’s clear that she doesn’t want to miss out on any of the action!

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:18 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sorry, we've started a new thread, please post there.