Page 1 of 1

Chapter 5: Night Two

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:19 pm
by HoneyDog
Monday 8th August, 1881

Approx. 8.30 pm

Forby House

As night draws in, Forby, drawn inward to himself and looking more paranoid and feverish than ever, is carted off his room by the servants. He insists again that every door and window be securely locked and bolted.

Eventually, peace settles over the house, apart from the figure of John Meddler, who patrols the front rooms, anxiously looking out into the grounds beyond.

Isolde is good to her promise and feeds the captive subject of young George. But before the investigators can settle into any routine, Meddler gives a shout from his position at the kitchen window.

“I saw something moving out there!"

Re: Chapter 5: Night Two

Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry whispers in Vic's ear, 'watch him', and bounds to the back door, pulling it open. 'Where?' he shouts to Meddler.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:13 am
by Philulhu
Vic takes up a position by the kitchen door, where she can keep an eye on both Harry and Meddler.

”What can you see?” she says to Meddler, quietly so that she doesn’t disturb the rest of the house.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:25 am
by HoneyDog
"Out there!" shouts Meddler, pointing into the foliage in the darkness. "Come on!"

He runs out, heading in the direction he indicated.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander hurries outside, following Meddler.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:33 am
by Philulhu
Vic watched as the three men ran through the door. Meddler had been the only person who had seen anything and she didn’t entirely trust him so she quickly decided to stay behind in case anyone tried to enter the house though the open door.

Stepping back into the kitchen, she grabbed the nearest heavy skillet she could find, and then stood in the shadows, waiting to see what developed.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:01 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry glances back to Vic, nods in acknowledgement, and hurries on alongside Meddler and Alexander.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler runs across the courtyard and into the grounds beyond.

"There!" he shouts excitedly, he turns to beckon to Alexander.

"Quick man, follow me!"

He heads into the trees.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:37 pm
by aine
"Considering he's an army officer he's being a total dolt at a stealthy attack." Murmurs Isolde from the shadows, "Vic, I don't believe there is anything out there and he's trying to draw us away; keep watching but let the kitchen seem empty!" She draws back so she can peer into the kitchen from an adjoining room.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can't leave him to go out there all by himself," says Alexander. He hurries after Lt. Meddler

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
The night is dark but some illumination is offered by the moon. Alexander sees Meddler crash through the undergrowth and stop for a moment, looking around.

“There he is!” he exclaims excitedly, and takes off again, heading in the direction of the mausoleum.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry hurries on behind Meddler and Alexander.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also rushes after Meddler.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler crashes on ahead. In the glare of the moonlight, the Forby mausoleum can be seen ahead.

Abruptly, Meddler stops, looking around. Sweat streams from his forehead.

“I can’t see him!” he hisses. "Where did he go?"

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks around the undergrowth then stares sceptically at Meddler, 'What did you see man?'

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could he have hidden inside the mausoleum?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:20 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler is still scanning the foliage. The night is unusually warm, and Meddler mops his forehead with his handkerchief. He doesn't look at Alexander or Harry; he is intent on the undergrowth around them.

"It was a bulky figure, I couldn't make out any distinct features. I thought I got a view of the face though - it looked like a mask. At least I hope so".

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Watch him' says Harry to Alexander as he heads off towards the mausoleum.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler turns around in a flash and starts after Harry.

“Watch who? Me? What are you insinuating?”
he says angrily, an edge in his voice.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think he just meant to watch your back and make sure nobody sneaks up behind you," says Alexander.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry turns back to Meddler and puts his finger to his lips, he points towards Meddler and Alexander and gestures for them to stay put, he then starts back towards the mausoleum.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler looks unconvinced by Alexander’s explanation, but he stays silent. The scowl on his face is visible in the gloom. He watches Harry as he moves towards the mausoleum.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander remains where he is, keeping watch.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:36 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry heads over to the mausoleum, scanning the undergrowth for any intruder. When he gets to the mausoleum he checks the door to see if it is still locked.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Did you lock it after your visit? As far as I know, Harry and Alexander are the last to visit the mausoleum.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,I'd think they would have locked it again when they left, or at least, that's Harry's recollection

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I agree. We wouldn't have left it unlocked.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 am
by HoneyDog
The door to the mausoleum is firmly locked. Meddler makes an exasperated noise.

"Don't you think we would have heard that door close?" he says angrily. "I'll bet the blighter's long gone by now!"

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 am
by Mephistophilis
'Well if it's the man in the mask we're looking for there's one place he is likely to be going' says Harry impatiently. 'Get some lanterns, we'll head down to the quarry and catch him stowing his costume'.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm
by HoneyDog
"What? Don't be foolish man!" snaps Meddler. "The quarry is far too dangerous at night. You'll end up breaking a leg, if not your neck. And you don't know for sure that he's heading that way. You can count me out."

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,What time is it? We started at 8.30pm in August - I'd guess sunset is around 9pm - is it still light?

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:04 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks to Alexander, 'The quarry edge is treacherous. Should we wait until morning? If he is not able to return in the dark perhaps we could catch him early'.
OOC,I presume Alex knows I found the mask and so on in the building by the quarry so the intruder is likely to return there to stow them - if there was any such intruder - Harry might be able to tell if anything has been moved since he was last there

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, best to wait until dawn," agrees Alexander.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
The last traces of the sun have disappeared, and the grounds are wreathed in shadow.

Meddler takes one last look around.

"I'm returning to the house" he announces. "Maybe he'll be back later."

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
As Meddler walks back towards the house Harry hangs back and whispers to Alexander. 'I did not see anyone, how about you? I don't trust Meddler, there was something overly theatrical about events this evening. I would like to get back to the quarry and see if there is any evidence that someone has used that outfit. Unfortunately I think Meddler is right, it would probably be too dangerous to go in the dark. Either way we mustn't let him sneak out overnight. '

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I didna see anyone either," whispers Alexander, "but what could be his motive for deception?"

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:17 pm
by aine
As it has been so quiet, Isolde leaves the kitchen and risks a look into the back yard where the stables are.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Well that is the question. But what motive would anyone have for dressing up like a monster and scaring Forby witless? What might happen and who benefits?

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's something we'll have to investigate tomorrow," says Alexander.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:41 am
by HoneyDog
The companions return to the house.

Isolde pokes around the courtyard and stables, but all is quiet.

Meddler spends the next couple of hours prowling around, looking out of windows, but the intruder does not return. Eventually he announces he is retiring for the night.
OOC,Would you all like to retire too?

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I would.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 am
by Philulhu
Tired and irritable, it is all Vic can do not to brain Meddler with the skillet as he prowls restlessly past her. When he announces he is turning in, she drops the pan on the bench with a clatter and wordlessly heads off to bed.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry turns in for bed with plans to rise early and investigate the quarry before breakfast.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:00 pm
by aine
Isolde checks on the ferret and then heads up to bed.