Chapter 4: Day Two

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 4: Day Two

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,OK, I’ve amended my original post.
Having gone around the shelves again, Vic was no further forward. She was hot and bothered and was seriously contemplating going to find a lake and going for a swim, although she suspected Mr. Forby and his brother-in-law would probably not approve.

Fanning her brow, she wandered back through to the dining room, where Dr. Campbell was examining the fireplace. ”Are you having any luck?” she enquired.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

A little unsettled by Fred's warning Harry thanks him and heads past the mausoleum and through the trees to take a look at the quarry. He is pleased to be outside on such a hot day but still finds himself sweating uncomfortably in the sun.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

"Houses like this always have ghosts but often the ghosts are very secretive." Isolde replies and then drops her voice. "oo, yes please." She whispers conspiritorially.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not yet," says Alexander. "I'm certain there's nothing hidden in this fireplace, but at least I've eliminated it. I'll just have to move on to the next one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,We'll have to finish up Isolde's and Harry's stories before lunch.
George looks around to check that they’re not being watched, and then beckons for Isolde to follow. He leads her out the back door and heads towards the stables, making sure that they are not seen.

Once inside, George heads beyond the stalls containing the horses and brings Isolde to a small cage, containing a ferret.

“I trapped him” George says earnestly. “I want to be a doctor when I grow up, so I’m learning about anatomy through dissection. When I get over this cold, I’ll operate.”

He turns to Isolde. “I can’t get rid of this cold. I think Mother might confine me to bed again. If that happens, could you feed him for me? Fred is supposed to, but he’s old and he forgets.”

Harry sweats freely as he tramps through the undergrowth. The spinney has been left to go wild and it is tiring in the extreme heat. Still, the sound of the birds and insects is soothing.
Harry,Roll Spot Hidden.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Spot Hidden: 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,After a while, Harry arrives at the site of the quarry. As Fred describes, it is clearly a dangerous spot, and Harry is well-advised to stay clear of the quarry edges. This is not a spot one would want to visit in the darkness. Adjacent is what looks like a hut which is in a bad state of disrepair, almost overgrown by vegetation. Apart from this, there is no signs of life or of recent usage.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

After much scrabbling and sweating Harry arrives at the edge of the quarry. He peers gingerly over the steep edge and quickly backs away. He sits on a rock for a moment and mops his brow. Taking out his pocket watch he sees it is nearly lunchtime. As he turns to leave he notices a tumbledown hut off to the side of the quarry. 'No point coming all this way and not taking a look' he mumbles to himself and starts to investigate among the encroaching weeds.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Harry enters the doorway of the hut. It is in very bad repair, and as he looks around in the gloom, it is obvious that this place was abandoned a long time ago. [ooc]Roll Spot Hidden.[/ooc]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Spot Hidden: 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Isolde wrinkles her nose at the smell of caged ferret. "Er, well caught." She says lamely but she's met with worse in her years as a governess. "What does he like to eat, George? Worms? Or is he more a bread-and-milk kind of fellow?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Harry can make something out in the corner of the hut, a heap of cloth or something. Looking closer, it seems to be a burlap sack, fashioned to fit over a torso. He also uncovers a hideous mask, with a pair of jutting fangs, and mud-covered animal-skin paws made to fit over human hands. [ooc]Roll Natural History[/ooc]
Isolde,“Worms!” George says happily. “Oh, thanks awfully!” “George!” comes a call from outside. “It’s lunchtime soon! Where are you?” “I’d better go” says George “See you later!” He scampers away.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Natural History: 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry pauses to roughly sketch what he sees. He lightly handles the mask to investigate what it is made from and returns it to its resting place. He tries to cover up any signs he was there and turns to return to the house glancing warily about him on the trek back.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The hot and tired investigators meet again in the dining room. George has developed the sniffles and is warned that after lunch he will be confined to his room. At hearing this, he casts a meaningful look at Isolde.

Lunch is again a simple and unappetizing fare. The invalid Forby, who is looking paler and more withdrawn than before, is fed liver, much to his dismay. He also expresses his distaste for the lack of progress on the part of the investigators, reserving particular ire for Alexander.

“Dash it man! What am I paying you for? Are you making a fool of me?”

His eyes look feverish. The others family members try not to meet his gaze.

Halfway through the meal, a very sweaty and tired Harry appears.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'My apologies' says Harry, 'I became a little sidetracked down by the quarry'. He looks around the room to see if there is any reaction to this from Forby, his family, or any staff in the room such as Bates.
OOC,If there are no staff in the room Harry will casually slide his notepad over to Forby and ask him if he recognises any of the items he has drawn. If there are staff he will wait until they have left the room.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Bates is in the room, as is Gertrude, Forby and George.  
Harry's announcement stirs no reaction from anyone.

"Please be seated, sir" Bates tells him.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'How have the investigations been going?' asks Harry.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic glanced warily at Forby before she spoke. ”I’m still going through the books in the library but I haven’t found anything yet.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'How about you Dr Campbell? says Harry. 'After luncheon I have a little task I would appreciate your assistance with. Then I thought I might investigate the carriage house, stable, and dairy unless anyone else has already taken a look?'

Harry decided that he would talk to Alexander after the meal about what he had found at the quarry. Now did not seem like the time to tip off anyone else in the house about his discovery until he had the chance to show his sketches to Mr Forby in private.

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”