Chapter 6: Day Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 6: Day Three

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Oops! Vic’s skill in English is 75% so higher than Library Use. Can I keep the roll?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic picks up on another relevant entry.

During the funeral for his father, Harry Forby suffered greatly from the heat. He was rushed to bed afterwards, but that night he began crying that a ‘green man’ was blundering about the house trying to get in. This nightmare began the first symptoms of the near-fatal ‘brain fever’ that overtook him. Rhoda determined that the housemaid’s careless gossip about Nicholas’ death had scared Harry, and sacked her.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Isolde returns to the library glad that one of the family is happy for a while, although she wonders if George is destined to a similar fate to his forefathers. She picks up a diary,
English,80 [dice]0[/dice]
She finds it hard to concentrate; as she sees it, all the men of this family have succumbed to a strange brain fever. What could have brought this on- Something that only affected them and no one else in the house.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Does Vic recognise the reference to the housemaid? (I’ve searched through previous posts but didn’t come across any references).
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You can have another English roll, but of course it means that it takes more time. It's about 3pm now. There's no other reference to the housemaid.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Rhoda obviously entrusted this document to Dr. Jeffries," says Alexander. "We'll have to get him to show it to us when we speak to him, but he may take some convincing. Harry Forby's condition may be what can get through to him. The consequences of his father's death may still be affecting him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”There’s a reference to a housemaid being sacked for gossiping - I wonder what she said that so upset Harry?” said Vic, continuing to turn the pages of the diary.
OOC,English (75%) - [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic reads that the last reference to these events describes the planting of the rose garden in front of the house in Aleister's memory. The diaries then return to the recounting of household and business calls.

This seems to be the the conclusion of the biographical details relating to this sad saga - at least those contained within the library.
OOC,What would you like to do now? There is still plenty of time left before dinner.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Brown, having recovered from the sweltering heat of the attic, will ask Alexander what happened with Meddler and Forby.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

“Now that we seem to have read everything we’ve found so far, it might be an idea to pool our ideas and findings to try and make sense of it all.” Says Isolde as she closes the diary.
Also, we should consider the outcomes should Alexander find the emerald tonight- I fear it may prove to be a catalyst for disaster.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander tells Harry what he had seen Meddler doing and the contents of his conversations with him and Forby. "Aye, that is a concern, but things are nae so good as it is. Better that we find the emerald than someone else beat us to it. Getrude may trust her brother and let it slip to him, for example."
OOC,Is there enough time to visit [b]Dr. Jeffries[/b]?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Yes, if you leave now you'll reach the village by 4pm.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[quote="HoneyDog"]This seems to be the the conclusion of the biographical details relating to this sad saga - [u]at least those contained within the library.[/u][/quote] (My emphasis). Are there any other sources of information we have missed?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,We need to talk to the doctor! I'd also be tempted to see what Meddler's up to
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,There’s nothing more among the books in the library. If there is other information, it is up to you to find it. You can look for Meddler but you don’t know where he is, so you may not be successful in finding him. Shall we move on to the village and finding the Doctor?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Happy to try the Doc now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Agreed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bates kindly agrees to drive the horse and carriage and the companions set off through the afternoon heat towards the village. The sun is moving west now, but it still beats down mercilessly on the party, who are soon soaked with sweat.

They are heartily glad when the turn a corner and Granton’s Bridge arrives in view. Bates points out the Doctor’s house and surgery, one of the bigger buildings in the village. It is very well kept although the garden is obviously suffering from a lack of water. The brass plate on the gate proclaims this as Jeffries’ residence, and also that he is an MD and a magistrate. Bates drops the companions and returns to Forby House.

The door is opened by a hearty looking man in his mid-sixties, with a luxuriant beard. He is dressed in tweed, even with the temperature, which doesn’t seem to bother him.

“Oh!” he exclaims when he sees the four companions. “It’s been a slow day today, but suddenly I have have four patients to see to! Unless it’s some other business you have in mind?” He regards them shrewdly.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic glanced at the others and stepped forward. “Dr. Jeffries?” she said politely. “We are a friend and acquaintances of Harry Forby. He asked us to come and see him, to try to help to get to the bottom of the malady that is afflicting him. May we speak with you?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Ah” says Jeffries. “I suspected as much. I’ve been expecting you – actually I thought you might have come earlier. Do come in”.

He leads the way to his sitting room, and directs the companions to sit down.

“I’m sorry, my maid is away visiting family, so I will have to wait upon you. I’m very capable when it comes to making tea though. Would you care for some?”

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”