Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2: Day One

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 am
by HoneyDog
Sunday 7th August, 1881

9am

Waterloo Station

The heat has not abated as the companions meet to take the train to Staines. The station is busy and crowded and tempers are frayed, but with tickets purchased the Society are able to take their seats and the train leaves the station, heading through the south-west suburbs.

As the city is left behind, the effects of the summer drought can be seen in the parched and withered vegetation which lines the route. The train reaches Staines at 10.30, and at 11 they are able to board for Granton’s Bridge.

They arrive at midday in a quiet, picturesque village, consisting of cottages, a church, a doctor’s office, and an impressive looking public house, named ‘The Devil’s Forge’.

A carriage is waiting to take them to Forby House, a ten-minute ride along narrow lanes. The house and grounds are situated in a low-lying valley, the grounds shielded from the wind by a bank of laurels and yew hedgerows. The carriage way, off the lane, leads along an exposed ridge, which affords a view of the house and the rolling grounds; about forty acres of land in total. The carriageway drops down alongside an ornamental lake, and a rose garden, sheltered by high yew hedges, and containing a glimpse of what looks like statues is in front of the house. Behind the house the land slopes upward, its sweep broken by a low-slung shape of a stone building, likely a mausoleum.

Pulling up to the entrance, the companions can see that it is of Greek portico design, popular in the early part of the century. It has Corinthian pillars and a wide veranda. A laurel stands each side of the door.

Waiting to receive them is an elderly man of average appearance dressed in butler’s livery, who introduces himself as Bates.

“Welcome to Forby House”
he announces. He seems reserved, as most butlers are, but is not stern and smiles a welcome. “We received your telegram, Dr. Campbell, and the guest bedrooms have been made up for you.”

Just then a stout, yellow-haired attractive woman in her mid-thirties appears at the door. Her skin is fair and her smile is bright and cheerful, although her blues eyes are sad.

“You’ve arrived!” she cries. “I’m so glad! I’m Gertrude Forby, Harry’s wife”.

Re: Chapter 2: Day One

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alexander, doffing his hat and holding it in front of him. "It's good to see you, Mrs. Forby, though I wish it were under better circumstances. How is Harry doing? How can we help?"

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude’s face falls.

“He’s not so good, I’m afraid. We fear he’s on the verge of another bout of that brain fever he has suffered with for so long. We wish to shield him from any shocks, so please bear that in mind when you talk to him. He’s waiting in the library for you now and we will have some tea there. First though, perhaps you’d like to wash and refresh yourselves after your trip? It’s a terribly hot day for travelling.”

She leads the way into the house, with Bates staying behind to see to the luggage. The Hall is paneled in dark stained oak, and a seeming endless row of deer skulls adorns the walls. It leads directly to the main stairs. A corridor leads off to the left, and there are double doors on both the left and right. Beyond the staircase is a green baize door.

The ceiling seems to be a pressed mold painted white. Its design is rather outre, in a style which hints at an attempt to be classical. It appears decayed in places, creating a somewhat grotesque affect.

Gertrude indicates the stairs, and smiles at Alexander.

“You must be Dr. Campbell she says. Harry always speaks of you with admiration. He'll explain why he asked you here when you meet him.”

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 am
by Philulhu
Vic followed Mrs Forby and Dr Campbell into the house, looking around as she entered to hall, craning her neck this way and that, looking into rooms even though she hadn’t been invited to do so... ...

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude notices Vic’s antics.

Miss Miller?” she says politely. “My brother John, who is staying with us, has offered to provide you with a tour of the house and grounds.”

The stairs are carpeted in crimson and there is a large window on the landing which provides plenty of light – and heat. In fact the house is rather stuffy.

The upper floor is again lined in dark oak. Various doors lead to other rooms and portraits line the walls.

“We have two bedrooms for you” says Gertrude, indicating a couple of doors opposite. “I hope you don’t mind sharing. The corner room over here is for the ladies. There is clean linen and towels – please do not hesitate to ask for anything you might need. We can join Harry and John in the library as soon as you are ready.”

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's me, Mrs. Forby," says Alexander as he goes with her. "I'd be pleased to share a room."

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:05 am
by HoneyDog
As they are talking, Bates appears with some items of luggage. Noticing Alexander’s gun case, Gertrude raises her hand to her mouth in alarm.

“Good heavens!” she exclaims. “Is that what I think it is? Did you bring a gun with you?”

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am
by Philulhu
”A gun?” thought Vic to herself. She hadn’t been to this part of the world before and so had spent most of the journey down looking out of the window. The subject of the society’s previous adventures hadn’t actually been mentioned and she wondered what she was letting herself in for.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am
by Mephistophilis
'Plans for a spot of shooting Dr Campbell? I do hope we'll be able to find the time' laughs Harry Brown wondering what Alexander intends to do with the firearm and feeling his hand close instinctively around the weighted cosh concealed in his overcoat.

Harry introduces himself to Mrs Forby as 'Henry Brown' thinking that it would be better to avoid any confusion around names.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
"There's no shooting to be had around here, Mr. Brown" says Gertrude. She lowers her voice.

"I'm sorry to be alarmist, but I must insist that you don't reveal the presence of any guns to Harry. He has a strict aversion to them since the death of his father. Please promise me, Dr. Campbell."

She fixes Alexander with an intense look.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm
by aine
"I'm sure it is only for pigeons; I hear they can be quite a menace when's there's a drought. Dear Mrs Fornby, I'm Isolde, of The Seekers of Enlightenment." She holds out her hand. "Thank you so much for inviting us to your lovely home; I'm really looking forward to being shown round."
Isolde looks at Alexander, "It might be best if you visit Harry by yourself, it will be less alarming and I'm sure you'll have a lot to catch up on. Maybe we could take tea while we are waiting for you?"

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 am
by HoneyDog
“That’s considerate of you, Miss Beauchamp says Gertrude, “but Harry would like to meet you all.”

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I promise, Mrs. Forby," says Alexander. "It'll stay locked away as long as it's not needed."

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:09 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude looks relieved.

“Thank you so much!” she cries, and gives Alexander a warm smile.

Once the companions have freshened up, Gertrude leads them to the library, located on the same floor on the other side of the stairs.

It is a large room with an extensive collection. Books cover three walls, with a step-ladder needed to reach the upper shelves. The ceiling is the same strange white-painted molded material as the hallway. A large fireplace is on the left wall, flanked by bay windows. Next to one of the windows is an oak desk and chair. A very old invalids chair is next to the door.

A table, with a shaded oil lamp, and chairs are in the centre of the room. Tea with bread and butter are laid out for luncheon. At the table are seated two men, one of who rises as the companions enter. The other remains seated, but cries out a friendly greeting.

Alexander, you old devil!” he chuckles. “Still a skinny wretch, I see! They’re still not feeding you! Come now!”

He leans forward to shake hands with the guests.

“I’m Harold Forby, but everyone calls me Harry”.

Forby has a broad face with strong features. He has sandy-coloured hair and moustache and a ruddy complexion. He wears a dressing gown, and two canes lean against his chair.

He indicates the other man.

“My brother-in-law, John Meddler. He’s staying with us while his regiment decides what to do with him. Eh, Meddler?’

Meddler frowns slightly at this but otherwise shows no other emotion. He bows to the ladies, casting a curious glance at Vic, and shakes hands with the men. He strongly resembles his sister, with the same yellow hair and blue eyes, but he is deeply tanned as opposed to her fair skin. He is tall and broad-shouldered, and stands erect, giving a martial bearing.

“Very good to meet you all” he announces in a deep voice.

After everyone is seated, the tea is served.

“Due to my condition” says Forby, “the doctor has me on a very uninspiring diet.”

He indicates the bread and butter, and laughs, although there is a hint of mean-spiritedness in it.

“However, I don’t see why I should suffer alone, so tuck in!”

He launches into anecdotes about he and Alexander’s school days, mainly reminiscing about the other boys’ and their difficulties, and having a good laugh. Gertrude, looking more subdued than before, dishes out the tea and food. Meddler sits sipping tea, displaying no emotion but having a good look at the new guests.
Everyone,You can roll Psychology for an insight into Forby.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"You know me, Harry," says Alexander with a chuckle. "I never seem to gain any weight no matter how much I eat. It sure is delicious to try, though. Usually." He helps himself to some bread and slathers butter on it.
OOC,Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Harry[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown sits back a little from proceedings observing the interaction between Alexander and Forby.
Harry Brown Psychology: 05,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:03 am
by Philulhu
Vic looks around the room, studying the books. She hopes she’ll be able to borrow one or two to read. She feels John Meddler’s gaze upon her and wonders why he seems so interested in her.
OOC,Psychology - John Meddler (50%) [dice]0[/dice] Psychology - Harry Forby (50%) [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:24 pm
by aine
Isolde sits demurely, for once, partakes of the tea and listens.
Psychology,53%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,Forby’s insistence on talking about school days strikes Harry as oddly pathetic – he seems to be retreating into the past to hide from his insecurities, seeking comfort there. He is obviously deeply troubled.
“I suppose I should get to the reason I requested you and your group” Forby finally says. “I think you can find the treasure for me, our family treasure. It’s eluded me for years. I must have it!”

As Forby talks about the treasure his cheeks become flushed and his eyes grow feverish.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, well, we may be able to help with that," says Alexander. "Why the urgency? The treasure has lain undiscovered for countless years, I'm sure it's not going anywhere."

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 am
by HoneyDog
Forby looks irritated. His eyes glow.

“What’s the point of the treasure if it stays hidden? What good does it do anyone? Dash it, man. I thought a scientific man like yourself would be more helpful than that!”

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, believe me, I'm interested and quite willing to help," says Alexander. "I was merely curious why you seem so pressed for time. Is the brain fever worse than it seems? I'm worried that you may be in such a hurry to find the treasure because you fear it is your last chance."

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:29 am
by HoneyDog
“With the treasure back, everything will be well again! Everything will return to normal! You mark my words!”

Forby thumps the table for emphasis, making the tea cups rattle.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:29 pm
by Philulhu
Vic glanced around at her colleagues. Forby’s behaviour was certainly of concern.

”How would we find this family treasure?” she asked.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:42 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown catches Vic's eye and exchanges a worried look. Forby is clearly quite disturbed. He studies Mrs Forby and John Meddler to see how they are reacting to this outburst.

Belatedly Harry realises, rather disappointedly, that this talk of treasure is more likely to be a fever dream. What was Dr Campbell thinking dragging them all here he harrumphs to himself. He's been sent on enough of these wild goose chases by rich men who would have been better off engaging an alienist than an inquiry agent. Still sometimes there's a few bob can be made along the way if you know where to look.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 am
by HoneyDog
Perhaps Forby senses some skepticism, as he calms his nerves a bit.

“As you can see, I am invalided. So the income the treasure would provide would be invaluable. It is a large emerald, hidden somewhere in or on the grounds of this house.”

He turns towards the fireplace, and indicates a painting hanging above it. At this distance, the companions cannot see the contents closely, but it appears to be a portrait of a man sitting at a desk. He is holding something green in his hand.

“My grandfather, Nicholas Forby. Can you see his hand? It is the stone. It is here, somewhere. I will share with you some of its value if you are able to find it. The clues must be here somewhere, but we have been unable to unravel them.”

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander approaches the portrait and takes a closer look. "What can you tell us about your grandfather?" he asks. "Anything we can learn about the man and how he thought may help us deduce where he hid the emerald."

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:38 am
by HoneyDog
“He was an artist, he worked in metals; mainly sculptures, architectural embellishments, and friezes. His handiwork is all over the house and estate. He had a special casting technique but the method seems to have been lost”.

Forby waves his hand.

“His folios are here on the shelves. You might learn something from those.”

Before Alexander can reach the portrait, Meddler adds, “Maybe you can learn something about the ghost, too.”

Gertrude turns and glares at Meddler, while Forby is unable to suppress a shudder. Bates, attending at the back of the room, coughs.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:50 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown perks up. 'Ghost Mr Meddler? How intriguing, do tell us more'. Hearing the cough Harry casts a sly glance at Bates.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:02 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler turns to Harry, his face blank, seemingly undeterred by the reaction he’s aroused.

“It’s just a local legend. Supposedly, a green furred man is responsible for the death of Harry’s grandfather."

“Enough John!” snaps Gertrude, her composure breaking. Meddler says no more, looking abashed.

Forby begins to rub his temples.

“I have a headache coming” he complains. “I think I’d like to retire.”

He grabs the walking canes next to his chair as Bates moves to help him up. With Gertrude’s help, they walk Forby to the door.

“Please excuse us everybody” Gertrude says over her shoulder. John, why don’t you show our guests around.”

They leave the room.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm
by Philulhu
Vic waited until the Forbys had left the room, then said, ”A green-furred man? Is this linked to MrForby’s illness?”

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I ken not," says Alexander. "I dinna believe in ghosts, but there are creatures that exist that are as yet unknown to science. A man with green fur could be one of those - or it could simply be a man wearing a green fur coat." He goes on to the portrait to inspect it closely after the interruption.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler watches as his relatives leave, and replaces his teacup on the saucer. He shrugs at Vic’s question.

“This latest bout was brought about recently, I don’t know why exactly. Bates was with him when he took a turn; he might be able to tell you more.”

As the companions come closer to the painting, they are able to discern further details. Nicholas Forby is sitting at the desk adjacent to the window, seated in the very invalid chair which is now by the door. He is a small, dark, twisted figure, and his eyes seem full of pain. A white, drawn, sharp face is adorned with a small goatee. Before him is an open folio on the desk. The green object in his hand seems to be a stone, and looks the size of a hen’s egg, although Nicholas’ hand covers most of it and it is hard to make out. In the gloom over his left shoulder another face is visible; flat, sullen faithful and pallid. The painting is signed by ‘Christopher Lehmann’.

The portrait has a heavy ornate gilt frame, cast in much the same style as the other molds visible about the house. Its surface is cracked and holds a remarkable patina.
Everybody,All who gaze upon the portrait can roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:53 pm
by aine
"It certainly isn't a pleasant painting." Remarks Isolde. "One would never surmise it was an emerald unless Harry had said so. I wonder whose the face is, the one behind his grandfather." She looks carefully at the folio in the painting. "We should have a look at this particular folio if possible."
Spot hidden,32 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:10 pm
by Philulhu
Vic approached the portrait and studied it carefully. She glanced at the pile of folios on the desk, then back to the painting. ”Could this be one of the ones on the desk?” she asked, studying it carefully.
OOC,Spot Hidden (25%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, my thoughts exactly," says Alexander, his keen eyes picking out all the details. He pays particular attention to the folio so that he can identify it. "The other man in the portrait could be a servant, always standing behind his master should he have need of him."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (67% skill) examining the portrait: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I'll go and have a chat with our Mr Bates' says Harry Brown. He peers closely at the painting and runs his hand lightly over the surface. 'Interesting composition, I'm not familiar with Christopher Lehmann, do we know anything about him?'
Harry Spot Hidden: 60,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:17 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I never wrote that there are folios on the desk. All the books are on the shelves.
“The servant is Baines, who was with the family for a long time. He passed away some years ago” calls Meddler from behind them. Lehmann was an artist friend of Nicholas Forby, but I don’t know anything about him. His portrait is hanging in the corridor.”

The painting is not detailed enough to make out anything written in the folio. But our companions’ sharp eyes notice something written in the frame.

“An Iron Dog with eyes of fire shoots sparks in Apollo’s bower”
Everybody,You can roll Occult or EDU x2

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:19 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry EDUx2: 22,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Something about the line sounds familiar to Alexander.
OOC,EDU x 2 roll (36% stat) about the writing: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 am
by Philulhu
OOC,EDU x 5 = 75% - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:21 pm
by aine
Occult,48%[dice]0[/dice]
Isolde thinks for a moment and then nods.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander & Isolde,Alexander and Isolde remember that Apollo was the Greek god of poets and scholars, and his symbol was the bay laurel tree.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Apollo, in Greek mythology, is the god of poets and scholars," says Alexander, recalling his classical education. "The symbol of Apollo is the bay laurel tree. That must be where he hid the emerald. Is there one on the grounds?"

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:25 am
by Philulhu
”That seems relatively straightforward,” said Vic, somewhat surprised that the answer could be so mundane.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
“Really?” cries Meddler, looking shocked. “It surely can’t be that simple. What about all this Iron Dog business? It sounds like nonsense to me”.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well," says Alexander, "that I'm not sure of yet. It's a riddle, but maybe we'll find out what it means when we find the laurel. Could be that's what's hidden there, not the emerald itself, and it will lead to the emerald somehow. It might be hidden inside the tree."

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 am
by HoneyDog
“Well, there are some laurel trees around” says Meddler slowly, thinking. “But they could be anywhere in the grounds. Look, I was going to show you around anyway. I have to go into London later so if you don’t mind, could we begin the tour?”

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, thank you, Mr. Meddler," says Alexander. "I'm ready."

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:15 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I will give some time for you to think about the riddle. Hint - try and think about it holistically. I'll provide a map of the house once you've had the tour.
“It's Lieutenant, actually" Meddler corrects Alexander sternly.

"Right then” he says briskly. Before anyone can say anything else, he strides out the door.

Back in the hallway, Meddler points out various adjacent rooms.

“Bath, storage room, game room with a billiards table if you fancy it, my room, linens, closet, your rooms. Here’s a nursery room, which was last used for young George.”

He walks down the corridor, and points to the portraits on the walls. “Various Forbys” he says without enthusiasm. “There’s Aleister, Harry’s father.”

This portrait is at the end, and bears a striking resemblance to Harry.

They are now on the left side of the house, which is well lit by many windows, although it is also very stuffy, making the companions sweat freely.

“This is Harry’s bedroom. Next is Gertrude’s and then young George’s”.

Two other rooms are down the corridor. On the opposite wall, on a large space between two windows is another portrait of a handsome man with yellow hair. The inscription reads “Christopher Lehmann”.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 pm
by Philulhu
”This is the artist of the portrait in the other room, is it not?” said Vic, as she studied the painting. “Was he a friend of the family?”
OOC,Spot Hidden (25%) to see if Vic notices anything about this painting - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:21 pm
by HoneyDog
“He was a friend of Nicholas Forby, I believe. Apart from that, I know nothing about him.”

Meddler seems disinterested as he looks at Vic more closely, seeming to take in her style of dress.

“You dress a little, ah, unusually, I would say, Miss Millerhe says.
OOC,Vic notices nothing unusual or out of place about the portrait. But you can all roll a halved Idea about it.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:13 pm
by Philulhu
“Do you think so?” replied Vic with a sideways glance and an insouciant grin. “It’s more practical than pinafores and petticoats.”

“I subscribe to what Lord Armstrong called his GOYA school - sitting around in a large frock just isn’t compatible with that line of thinking!”

OOC,Know (75%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm
by aine
Isolde purses her lips but deigns to comment on Viv's scandalous attire.
"I rather think 'Apollo's Bower' might refer to a nook somewhere in the garden or somewhere just restful; where a poet might ponder. Is there a gazebo or similar edifice in the grounds, Mr Meddler? The 'Iron Dog' could refer to a dog basket in a fire place or maybe a forge- which doesn't tally with the poet's retreat." She frowns and thinks.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the Iron Dog is a train," muses Alexander as he examines the portrait. "I'd think of it more as an iron horse, but that could fit too. Although what are the eyes of fire, then? Shooting sparks must be related to the fire. It also makes me think of electricity, but it can't be that. It wasn't in common usage in Nicholas Forby's day."
OOC,Idea roll (80% / 2 = 40% stat) about the portrait: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler raises an eyebrow but says nothing more to Vic on the subject.

“Shall we move on?” he asks.
Vic & Alexander,Vic and Alexander look closely at the painting of Lehmann. It is signed by him, so is obviously a self-portrait. But looking at his face, he seems to resemble Aleister and Harry Forby much more closely than the likeness in the painting of Nicholas does.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Vic opened her mouth to speak but, for once, discretion got the better of her. She smiled sweetly at Meddler. ”Yes, let’s move on,” she replied.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:32 am
by HoneyDog
“Hello? Is someone out there?” calls a young voice.

“That’s George explains Meddler. “He’s laid up in bed with a cold.”

He raises his voice.

“Yes, George. Our guests have arrived. I’m showing them around.”

“Do they want to see my room too?” comes the reply.

Meddler sighs. “I don’t think so, George.”

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm ready to move on," says Alexander. "Is Christopher Lehmann by chance a distant relative of the Forby family? I noticed some similarity between his portrait and the others, though perhaps it is merely a similarity of artistic style."

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:29 pm
by aine
"I expect we can meet George at dinner, or is he too young for that? Mr Meddler, maybe we see the house first and then move outside once it has cooled down later." Says Isolde, her mind still on the riddle.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:04 am
by HoneyDog
“I daresay he might be at dinner, if he improves” says Meddler.

He leads the way downstairs and shows the companions the Sitting Room, Morning Room and Dining Room, none of which are particularly remarkable.

Towards the back of the house is a green baize door.

“Behind here is the kitchens, pantries, the scullery, the butler’s pantry and sundry rooms. There is access to the cellar. Do you wish to examine these?”

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't see any reason to at this time," says Alexander. "If our investigations ever lead us there, we can examine them then. Unless, of course, one of my companions would like to see them now."

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
'If it is acceptable to my colleagues, I'm quite keen to talk to Mr Bates, perhaps I could take this opportunity while the rest of you explore the grounds?' says Harry Brown.
OOC:   Sorry, seem to have missed the recent activity notifications  

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 pm
by aine
"That sounds like a good idea; he might be more amenable just talking to one person. I'm keen to look around the grounds for a possible Apollo's bower." Says Isolde, fanning herself. "There might even be a breeze outside."

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 am
by Philulhu
Vic had loosened her collar, drawing more disapproving looks. ”A stroll in the garden would be agreeable,” she said. “Although I fear there is no wind so it may not offer any comfort until the end of the day.”

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'd like to see the grounds as well," says Alexander. "I dinna mind the heat so much, not after how cold it was last December."

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh, I shouldn't think that there'll be any problem" says Meddler confidently. He opens the door and sticks his head inside.

"Bates!" he calls loudly. "Are you there?"

Within a short interval the butler appears, his expression neutral.

"Yes, Lieutenant?"he asks.

"Our guests here want to know about the other night with Mr. Forby, when he collapsed".

Bates looks a bit uncomfortable, but clears his throat and begins to talk.

"Well," he begins, "A few nights previous we noticed someone had been sneaking around outside the house after dark. Mr. Forby thought that it might be someone after the silver, so we laid in wait for him. Mr. Forby saw him before I did and rushed ahead. I heard him cry out and when I got to him he was on the ground. He had fainted, though he was physically unharmed. I brought him back inside and we fetched the doctor, but Mr. Forby has been poorly ever since. He hasn't told anyone about what he saw, as far as I'm aware."

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did anyone else get a look at the prowler?" asks Alexander. "It might help to identify him if we at least knew his height and weight. Did he leave any traces of his passage?"

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown smiles at the butler, 'Thank you Mr Bates', I think it could be helpful for us to see where this confrontation took place'. While he talks to Bates, Harry tries to get a look into the servants' quarters to see if there is anyone else hanging around or listening to their conversation.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:24 am
by Philulhu
Vic thought for a moment. ”Has Mr Forby seen a medical doctor since the incident with the prowler?” she asked.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:10 pm
by aine
Isolde looks thoughtful. "Please show us where you found Mr Forby, and everyone please try not to stand on any evidence."

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 am
by HoneyDog
Bates nods.

”Certainly, I will show you, but there is nothing to see.”

Meddler nods agreement.

“I’ve looked myself. There isn’t anything unusual in the grounds. As Bates says, Harry won’t tell what made him faint, even if he remembers.”

“Mr. Forby was and is being cared for by the family physician, Dr. Jeffries . Please, follow me.”

Bates leads the party out of the house through the kitchens in the back. On the way they run into a woman of Bates’ age, preparing food for the evening meal. She bows as the party enters.

”May I introduce Betty, my wife and our housekeeper”.

Betty smiles kindly.

“How do you do”? she asks.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Bates," says Alexander. "My, that smells delicious!"

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:26 pm
by aine
"How do you do, Mrs Bates? I'm sure we are all looking forward to dinner; it does smell divine." Isolde smiles at Betty and Alexander.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 am
by HoneyDog
Mrs Bates blushes.

"You're too kind. It's a very simple dinner I'm afraid, due to Mr. Forby's illness. By the way, this is Connie, our maid."

She indicates a pretty and cheerful looking teenage girl, who bows her head shyly.

"I'll show you where it happened" says Bates.

He leads the party out the back door into the spacious courtyard, pointing out the dairy, stable and carriage house, and moves to what is the east side of the house. The grounds are parched and listless, and the plants wilt in the hot sun, which beats down on our heroes.

Bates points out a clump of bushes. "Mr. Forby dashed through there. He gave me no warning and so I hadn't noticed he had gone at first. If he had, I would have been able to help him."

Bates looks pained as he walks into the bushes. As the men said, there doesn't appear to be anything unusual about the area.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown follows after Bates looking carefully at the ground and the bushes where Forby saw the intruder. He then scans the surrounding area to see how someone could have made their way into the garden. 'Any gates, doors, low walls, or other entry points in the area?' he asks Bates.
OOC:   ETA formatting  

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Bates shakes his head.

"The grounds are extensive sir, and they're not enclosed."
OOC,It's not a garden - try to imagine the grounds of a country house.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did anyone find any tracks?" asks Alexander, looking around for them himself. "Does Mr. Forby keep dogs? They can make excellent trackers."

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:26 am
by Philulhu
”Have there been any other incidents in the area?” enquired Vic, looking around carefully.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Bates shakes his head at Vic’s question but nods to Alexander.

“Why, yes sir, we do have dogs. Old Fred, our groundskeeper, keeps them around the stables. We didn’t see any tracks, the ground is too hard.”

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Has anyone tried to have the dogs pick up a scent?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
"No" admits Bates. "We were too concerned with Mr. Forby to be worried about doing anything like that."

"I don't think there's anything else to see here" Meddler interrupts. "Why don't we look around more of the grounds?"

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown furrows his brow, 'so Mr Forby has not told anyone what he saw that night, why on Earth not?'.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Alexander. "I'd like to bring the dogs by and see if they can pick anything up, but we can do that later.'

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:09 am
by HoneyDog
“Right” says Meddler determinedly.

He leads the way back around to the front of the house to where the rose garden stands.

“We’re using water from the lake to maintain the garden” says Meddler. The roses themselves do seem to be in better condition than the rest of the grounds, but the earth is still hard and dry. Bees and butterflies go about their business collecting pollen.

There are various statues in the garden, but all are in bad repair.

“The statues are all the work of Nicholas Forby says Meddler. “He was interested in the Classics, so all you see are interpretations of those figures. I believe there was some kind of weakness in his casting technique, so all the statues have a tendency to crack due to cold.”

Looking around, the companions can see that this is true. Hydra is missing half of her heads, and Demeter’s arms have fallen off. Cupid and Psyche are depicted as kissing, but exposure has malformed their faces so that they appear to be devouring each other, a most unsettling sight. Medusa’s face has disappeared, which gives a sense of being perpetually watched by her.

In the centre of the garden is a life-size bronze cast of a naked man. As a result of decades of exposure, it is covered in verdigris, but it is in much better repair than the other statues. The figure is lying on his back with closed eyes and spread-eagled arms.

The base is surrounded by well-kept roses, but the title of the statue is revealed in bold, flowing letters;

‘ICARUS, After the Sea Left Him’

Beneath this comes further script;

‘Did I request thee, Maker from my clay
To mould me man?
Did I solicit thee From darkness to promote me?’

OOC,All can make 2 rolls; History, Occult or a halved Know roll about the story of Icarus Know about the inscription on the base of the statue.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 am
by Philulhu
Vic walked around the statue. The inscription meant nothing to her, but she had heard of the myth of Icarus; it was a bête noire of Lord Armstrong, who dismissed such stories as a brake on progress.

She wondered how this might relate to Forby. What was it he had become involved in?
OOC,History of Icarus (1/2 Know roll = 37%) [dice]0[/dice] Inscription (Know = 75%) [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 am
by Mr. Handy

I thought Hydra's heads were supposed to grow back when they were cut off, thinks Alexander. While he has heard of Daedalus and Icarus and knows that Icarus died from trying to fly too close to the run, which melted the wax on the wings that Daedalus invented, he is unfamiliar with the details described here. He does know that he will be more careful than Icarus should he ever invent a flying machine.
OOC,Know roll (90 / 2 = 45% stat) about Icarus: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alexander can still roll Know for the inscription.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:35 am
by Mephistophilis
Classical mythology wasn't really Harry Brown's strong suit but there was something quite unsettling about the figure. Reading the inscription on the base did jog something in his memory, perhaps from one of those gothic novels he read. It was definitely not from classical mythology though.
Harry History: 20,[dice]0[/dice]
Harry Know: 55,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

Something about the inscription is familiar from Alexander's classical education.
OOC,Know roll (90% stat) about inscription: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm
by aine
rolls,Occult 48[dice]0[/dice]know 37[dice]1[/dice]
Isolde walks slowly round the bronze. "Is this also one of his sculptures? It's quite different." She asks. "I wonder if this is Icarus; it doesn't sound like him. I've always imagined Icarus to be of the sky and this inscription sounds like someone from the dark earth."

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:00 am
by HoneyDog
Vic & Isolde,According to the old Greek myth, Icarus was the son of the famous inventor Daedalus, who had been imprisoned by King Minos after giving aid to the hero Theseus that enabled him to kill the Minotaur. Daedalus created wings from wax, reeds and eagle feathers and escaped with Icarus. But Icarus, in his youthful enthusiasm, flew too close to the sun and the wax holding his wings together melted, and he fell into the sea.
Alexander & Harry,The inscription is from Milton’s [i]Paradise Lost[/i], a poem dealing with the Fall of Man. It is Adam’s lament to his stern, unyielding God.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"I recognise the quote," says Alexander, "but it has nought to do with Icarus. It's from Milton's Paradise Lost. It's Adam's lament to God after his fall."

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 am
by Mephistophilis
'It is indeed' says Harry, 'but I'll confess I first recognised it as being an epigram from the novel Frankenstein, it gave me the shivers when I read it there on the stone'.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler suppresses a snort.

"Come now, a gentlemen such as yourself surely can't be dismayed at a mere quotation" he tells Harry. "What is your line of work, by the way?"

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown coolly looks Meddler up and down. 'A mere quotation cannot harm anyone I'm sure. But it tells me something about the individual who inscribed it there on this sorry figure, and what it tells me is not something I like. He straightens himself up and meets Meddler's gaze. 'My work is as an inquiry agent and I have seen plenty of the darker side of human nature. As a military man I suspect you have had similar experiences'.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I've read Frankenstein too as a lad," says Alexander. "It was one of the things that inspired my interest in science. Not that I'd ever try to reanimate the dead," he adds quickly. "I merely wish to invent things that make life better. If I ever bring new life into the world, it shall be the way God intended."

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:43 am
by Philulhu
Vic was somewhat taken aback by the change in mood. Despite the heat of the day, a shiver ran down her spine. She read the inscription again.

”What is the significance of the quotation?” she asked.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:26 pm
by aine
"Well, Adam and Icarus have one thing in common; they are both fallen and this statue looks like it has fallen from the sky- look how his arms have flung out. Meddler, did Mr Forby paint any classical pictures as well as sculpt?" She has a good look at the bronze face to determine any likeness to anyone.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:28 am
by HoneyDog
The sculpture's face does not look familiar.

Meddler shrugs disinterestedly. He doesn’t seem to be concerned about Harry’s comments.

Stifling a yawn, he says. “As far as I know, Forby only sculpted.”

He looks at his watch, the significance of the gesture obvious.

“Shall we move on?” he asks.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'm ready," says Alexander.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
"Good!" says Meddler, perking up. As he leads the way out of the garden, he addresses Alexander.

"You've known Harry Forby a long time, haven't you Doctor? What's your take on the old boy?"

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, Lieutenant," says Alexander, "we were old chums at school. He doesna seem himself now. He has mentioned the family treasure before, but it's only now he is obsessed with finding it and will brook no delay. It doesna seem healthy to me."

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm
by aine
Isolde follows, wishing she hadn't left her parasol in the boot room. She keeps a sharp look out for anything that could constitute a nook or bower or any old laurel trees.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am
by Philulhu
Vic was slightly puzzled by Meddler’s attitude. He seemed bored of showing them around already despite the fact it was for the benefit of Harry Forby.

She watched him closely as he spoke, looking out for any signs that he wasn’t necessarily what he seemed.
OOC,Psychology (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
“I’ll take you to meet Old Fred, the groundskeeper” says Meddler. “He’s a surly sort, but he’s okay, I think.”

On their way to the west side of the house, the companions can see the Bay Laurel trees which flank the entrance portico.

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing the laurel trees, Alexander keeps his eyes open for anything that might qualify as an iron dog.

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
The trees look like they have been standing a long time in front of the house. They offer some welcome shade from the hot summer sun, but that is their only seeming point of interest. Nothing that resembles an iron dog, or indeed anything iron or doglike is on or near them.
Isolde,Isolde notes that Meddler has turned his attention to her. He says nothing, but seems to thinking as he regards her.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:44 am
by Philulhu
“An Iron Dog with eyes of fire shoots sparks in Apollo’s bower,” said Vic quietly as the approached the trees.

She looked around. “Are these the only Laurels on the estate, Mister Meddler?” she asked.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:28 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m sure I would have no idea” Meddler replies haughtily. “I’m not exactly a botanist. Perhaps Fred might be able to help you.”

The party reaches a small, modest cottage with a well-kept vegetable garden. Despite knocking, there is no answer.

“He must be at the stables” says Meddler. “Well, the only things to see on this side of the house are the mausoleum and an ice house up the hill here. Over on the other side is an old quarry, but apart from that it’s just woods and scrub.”

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"It might not be a laurel tree," says Alexander. "It could be a reference to a laurel wreath. Is there anything like that at the mausoleum?"

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler looks irritated.

“I’m sorry, I don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of this place, you know” he complains. “I’m only staying here temporarily. I can take you to the mausoleum if you’d like.”

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm
by Philulhu
When Meddler had his back turned, Vic rolled her eyes. His behaviour was boor-ish, to say the least.

”Shall we go to the mausoleum?” she said brightly. “Perhaps we’ll find the gardener there.”

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Meddler smirks.

“I doubt you’ll find much to garden in a mausoleum, young lady” he tells Vic condescendingly. Nevertheless, he sets off towards that structure.

Climbing up the hill in the sweltering heat is tough work, and the companions are soon very tired. But soon they come upon the mausoleum.

It is a large vault built of stone, and to say that it is covered in finely-detailed carvings would be an understatement – likenesses of trees, animals, people and mythological creatures such as centaurs and fairies abound. Two gargoyles, or they could be devils or frightful-looking angels – guard the entrance, which is pillared in the Corinthian style like the house. The back of the structure descends into the form of two tree stumps, with their stone roots apparently writhing into the ground. The building has a strong effect on those seeing it – the number of figures carved into the stone means that there are innumerable eyes watching those who approach. It is a most disconcerting sight.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:42 pm
by Philulhu
Vic said nothing but did wonder if the mausoleum was where Meddler’s good manners had been interred... ...

At the top of the rise, she paused to recover her breathe and to gently pat her brow with a handkerchief. What she wouldn’t give for nice cold glass of Pimm’s, a deckchair and a parasol right now.

Putting her handkerchief away, she approached the mausoleum for a closer look.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also goes up to the mausoleum and examines the carvings, looking for laurel trees or wreaths and for dogs, iron or otherwise.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:26 am
by HoneyDog
There are images of dogs and of trees which may or may not be laurels. But there doesn't seem to be any connection between any of the pictures, and the stone doesn't react to touch.

The door is found to be locked.

"Harry has the key" informs Meddler.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm
by aine
Isolde stands with Meddler while the others look at the stonework. "Thank you for showing us round, Mr Meddler, it's very generous especially on such a hot afternoon. And you are a true friend to Mr Forby to stay down here with him. Do you not find it rather quiet?"

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 am
by HoneyDog
“It’s Lieutenant” says Meddler. “This is all temporary until I rejoin my regiment. May I ask what is your area of expertise, Miss Beauchant?”

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:33 pm
by aine
"My apologies, Lieutenant." Isolde replied. "I am a medium, I specialise in divining the supernatural forces in our world. I'm also a student of the occult." She smiles wryly, "Many people may have distain for my methods but there are many things unexplained by science. I have seen them." She looks into the middle distance and shudders.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler looks as if he is about to scoff, but something in Isolde’s look makes him reconsider.

“Well, the ice house is further up, but I can assure you its of no interest. The quarry hasn’t been used in many years. Let’s go to the stables and we can try to find Old Fred.”

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lead on, MacDuff," says Alexander.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:40 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler looks confused at the reference, but nonetheless leads the party on back to the courtyard at the rear of the house.

As they approach, they hear barking, and shortly two large dogs amble up, regarding the party curiously. They seem friendly though, and their tails are wagging. Following them is an old man with a scowl on his face. He is short in height but looks to be fit and healthy for his age. He nods to the party but says nothing.

“This is Fred, the groundskeeper” introduces Meddler. He indicates the dogs, who are sniffing curiously at the companions. “The setter is called Mike, and the bull-mastiff is Peter”.

The dogs wag their tails enthusiastically at hearing their names. Fred bows his head slightly, but still refrains from speech.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello, lads," says Alexander, crouching low to face the dogs. "Mike, Peter." He rises again. "Well met, Fred. How are your dogs at tracking?"

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am
by HoneyDog
"Good enough" Fred replies. "But if you're thinking of finding whoever it was lurking around, we already tried that, and the dogs couldn't find anything."

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I was," says Alexander. "Well, it was worth a try."

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:29 am
by HoneyDog
Meddler clears his throat.

"Well, I need to be getting along. I have an appointment in London and I want to get there in time for dinner. I will see you all tomorrow."

He bows and takes his leave.

Fred pays Meddler's farewell no attention.

"They're not my dogs" he tells Alexander. "Mr. Forby got 'em a while back to help keep the estate secure, like".

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm
by aine
"I can't imagine the setter does much for security- he's such a softy!" Isolde fondles Mike's ears. " I expect you're a good barker though." She turns to Fred, "Have they heard anything in the night recently?"

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 am
by HoneyDog
"No" Fred replies. "They've been quiet."

He regards the dogs silently.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Does Harry get out much lately?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:19 am
by HoneyDog
Fred looks at Alexander in a confused way.

"'Course not! E's sick! Ain't that why you're 'ere?"

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:12 am
by Philulhu
”That’s right,” chipped in Vic, “But there’s nothing obvious that might have caused Mr. Forby’s condition.”

“Mr. Forby seemed to think it was to do with the family treasure, which might be found in a laurel tree. Does that mean anything to you?” she asked. She watched the old man carefully as she waited for his reply.
OOC,Psychology - Old Fred (50%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Alexander. "He called us out here because he wants us to find the old family treasure."

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
"Well, of course finding that treasure would make 'im feel better. As to whether it's in a tree, I 'ave no idea."

Fred pauses for a minute.

"I've worked 'ere for years" he continues. "There's always been rumour of that family treasure. And I'm sure a few from the village or whatever 'ave come sniffin' around after it. Whether it's real or not, I really don't know".

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Has Mr Forby always been so obsessed with the family treasure or is this a new thing?' says Harry Brown. 'I presume he has searched all the obvious locations, the mausoleum, the ice house and so on?'

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
"I think everyone's 'ad a look at some time or other" Fred replies. "I keep an eye out for it meself. But it seems like 'is latest interest stems from that night 'e took a funny turn."

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Mr Meddler was rather dismissive of the idea but I would appreciate if you could help us take a look around the grounds, he said you would have the key to the mausoleum'.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:28 pm
by aine
"Yes, we'd like to look at the mausoleum if possible. I suppose Harry might have been attacked by a treasure hunter and this has spurred him on to find it first. Still, it's odd that he is so afflicted mentally." Says Isolde.

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:36 am
by HoneyDog
"I don't know why 'e said that" says Fred, scowling. "Mr. Forby has the key."

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, he does seem rather obsessed," says Alexander, "possibly to the point of it being bad for his health. Perhaps if we can find the treasure, he will improve."

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Oh dear, I could have sworn he said you would have the key, well, never mind'. Harry puts his hand in his pocket and feels the reassuring outline of his lock picks, he makes a rather elaborate show of looking in his other pocket, 'oh bother, I seem to have dropped something, I will just retrace my steps and be back in a minute'

He strolls nonchalantly back to the mausoleum, runs his hands over a few carvings appreciatively, and casually tries his picks on the lock.
Harry Locksmith: 51,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is it really necessary to break in? Why not just ask Harry for the key as Meddler suggested? Then you can all have a look.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Not really, I was only going to see if I could open it and then I'd be able to come and take a look later if we couldn't get the key - I had a hunch he might say no
As the last pin clicked into place Harry tried the handle which turned easily. 'Still got it' he laughed to himself. He quickly locked the door again and turned to walk back to the others. After all, it would be rude to just break in to a gentleman's property without asking first. However, Mr Forby was currently somewhat unpredictable and Harry always liked to have a backup plan.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:58 pm
by aine
"We can always come back to the mausoleum this evening after dinner." Isolde with a strange glint in her eye. "It will be dark at any time of day. I feel we need to hurry up with finding the treasure if there are other people looking for it too."

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:25 am
by Philulhu
”Perhaps we need to go back and study Mr Forby’s papers some more?” suggested Vic. “We don’t really seem to have an idea of where to look so that might give us some clues.”

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, further research is in order," agrees Alexander.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:00 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Harry won't object to providing the key. Are you sure you want to visit the mausoleum in the dark?

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:57 am
by Mephistophilis
'We still have to take a look at the ice house and quarry. Best we do that in the light then we could do a bit more research in the house. I would rather not look around the mausoleum at night' shivers Harry, 'it can wait until tomorrow I'm sure'.
OOC,If there's no objection I'll take my last entry out of the OOC tags into a normal entry and Harry will have locked the door again

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, then, we'll use the light while we've got it," says Alexander. "The books aren't going anywhere, and I can always do research by candlelight. Though I think electricity would make a far more efficient light source."

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:38 am
by HoneyDog
Fred agrees to fetch the key, and about twenty minutes later the companions are back at the mausoleum.

Harry unlocks the door, which creaks slowly open to reveal a square chamber with empty wall niches for coffins. On the walls are carved friezes of Forby House as it must have been in Nicholas’ time, with the sculpture of Icarus depicted in the center of a smooth lawn. Behind the house, a curious hollow in the ground is represented.

In the center of the vault is a stone sarcophagus, bearing the name Nicholas Forby. The panels are carved with biblical and other scenes; there is Saturn devouring his young, Leviathan, Lazarus rising from the dead, and Christ casting demons into a herd of pigs. The detail is evocative and quite grotesque.
OOC,Roll SAN on viewing the carvings! If you fail, you lose 1 SAN point.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown shuddered at the sight of the carvings, there was something malevolent about the work, as if the sculptor took some kind of pleasure in the grotesque scenes.
Harry Sanity 50,[dice]0[/dice]
'I am very glad we did not follow your suggestion to come here in the dark Isolde'. Harry strikes a match and holds it up to the frieze, 'what do you suppose that hole is supposed to be? I wonder if we could find its location now?'

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:45 pm
by aine
Isolde smiles, "Yes, these friezes are macabre enough in the daytime, I'm glad we got the key now. Look, no roses are depicted here. And we might be able to find the hollow; can you use your scientific methods, Alexander?" She looks carefully at the artwork; is it the same style as the work outside?

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:00 am
by Philulhu
Vic walked around the mausoleum, slightly awestruck at the depictions within. They seemed the product of a talented, if disturbed, mind. Looking carefully at the hollow, she said to Alexander, ”This seems to have some significance. Do you think the hollow is still there?”
OOC,SAN check (60%) - [dice]0[/dice] Tweaked my original post, given Fred’s absence.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"He was quite the striking artist," says Alexander. He goes over to examine the carving showing the hollow. "Aye, let me work out where exactly this is on the grounds."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 83) for seeing the carvings: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:32 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, Fred isn’t there. Isolde still needs a SAN roll.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:16 pm
by aine
Isolde sanity,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:36 am
by Philulhu
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Sorry, Fred isn’t there. Isolde still needs a SAN roll.
OOC,I’ve amended Vic’s post so she talks to Alexander.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The spoiler button for Isolde's Sanity will not open because there is an apostrophe in the spoiler button's display text. It's okay to have apostrophes inside the spoiler button, but if the display text contains them, the button will not open. You can still read the contents by quoting or editing a post, but you can't see what the dice roll results are that way. You should edit the spoiler button text to remove the apostrophe.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks everyone for your adjustments and edits. Sorry, I've been away last couple of days. What would you like to do now? Will you explore the mausoleum further? Or go back to the house with your questions? The time is now about 4pm and there is plenty of daylight left, but the companions will be feeling quite tired from the day's heat. If you have the patience, it's worth reading through the thoughts and actions you've already had and taken - it's easy to forget small details which might be important because of the length this format of playing forces us to undergo. 我慢!

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I wanted to find the location on the grounds corresponding to where the hollow was depicted in the carvings and see if anything is there.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:01 am
by Mephistophilis
'An obvious location for the treasure would be Nicholas Forby's sarcophagus' says Harry, 'but I can't say I'm too keen to be rooting around in there'.

Harry goes over to the sarcophagus to take a look, in particular for any signs it has been opened or tampered with.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:06 am
by Philulhu
Vic joined Harry at the sarcophagus. ”What are you looking for?” she asked.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:10 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry turns to Vic, 'This sarcophagus has obviously been here for some time. Any serious search for the treasure would involve looking inside. I'm trying to see if there are any signs the stone has been moved, scrapes, chips, that kind of thing'

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:33 pm
by Philulhu
Vic nodded her understanding and knelt down next to the sarcophagus for a closer look. ”Have you done this sort of thing before, Mr. Brown?” she asked, conversationally.
OOC,Spot Hidden to see if there any signs of tampering (25%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:02 pm
by HoneyDog
Looking closely at the sarcophagus, Vic sees that it has been in place for many years. No attempts to open it appear to have been made.
OOC,I just noticed Isolde’s Strength is 19! I think it should be 9? :o If the companions all try together, they might be able to open the sarcophagus by pushing up the lid. It will require a successful Strength roll. Roll 1d100 and if you get 50 or under, you’ll be able to raise the lid. I’ll take success or failure from the first player who dares to roll.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm no grave robber," says Alexander, "though that sort of thing is all too common back in Edinburgh. Certain unscrupulous scientists enlist the services of chaps known as 'ghouls' to acquire dead bodies for their research. They're none too particular about where the dead bodies come from, and they don't ask. Some of these ghouls, when unable to find corpses to sell, will make their own. Of course, biology and medicine aren't really my fields anyway, so it hasn't exactly been a temptation for me."

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I can't say I've been involved in opening any graves' says Harry, 'but I have certainly been on a few treasure hunts in my time'. He looks over to Alexander, 'I have no more desire than you to go disturbing the dead but I really do not see how we can overlook this particular possibility'.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm
by aine
"It would be prudent to get permission first -although it is a difficult question to ask. I'm sure this would have been the first place they looked anyway but we could bring the subject up at dinner; in a casual way, of course." Says Isolde. "Let us look for that hollow before retiring to the house."
ooc,Isolde must be stronger than she looks! Probably a cut and paste error- will edit.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I agree' says Harry, 'no need to go defiling the sanctity of the grave just yet. I'm keen to look for this hollow, it could well be quite obvious with the ground so parched. Another thought does occur to me - we've been looking for laurel trees - were there not two either side of the front door? You don't suppose "Apollo's bower" could be the house, or at least the entrance?'.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
”So what is the reference to Apollo?” asked Vic. “He was one of the Greek gods, was he not?”

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Alexander said the laurel is the symbol of Apollo did he not?' says Harry. 'A bower is a shelter made of branches and vines, but is also another name for a house'.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, 'tis so," says Alexander. "The 'iron dog' that has sparks may be found in a fireplace, then. We can ask for permission later from Harry. In the meantime, let's try to find that hollow, while there's light."
OOC,Maybe her STR was supposed to be 10 instead of 19. The 9 and the 0 are right next to each other on the top row of a keyboard.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions leave the mausoleum, locking the door behind them. They make their way back to the house, looking for the depression shown in the carvings.

The ground is far more overgrown though than that shown by the representation. Any dip in the ground could be what they are looking for, but then again it might not be. After about an hour of fruitless searching, the investigators are thirsty, sweaty, tired and irritable from the incessant heat. The sun is beginning to drop below the horizon – evening is coming on.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:46 pm
by aine
"Oh bother this!" Exclaims Isolde, fanning herself. "I need a nice long cool shrub to drink. And then something light for dinner hopefully. We can't find anything down here; something might show from an upstairs window; or you could look at shadows or something but I'm going in for a rest now." And she moves wiltingly into the relative cool of the house.
ooc,I'll see if I still have an original character sheet.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander follows her into the house, intending to examine the fireplaces.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 am
by Philulhu
Fanning herself as best she could, Vic followed the others back to the house. She intended to head to her room to freshen-up and change her blouse, then she wanted to take a closer look at Mr. Forby’s folios.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:49 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown intends to take a look at the front of the house, the Greek portico-style entrance and flanking laurels, before returning to his room to freshen up.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There are fireplaces in almost every room, so you might want to focus on something else for now to narrow down the cope of the search.
The companions freshen up somewhat, although inside the house the heat is even more oppressive, sapping at their energy. It has been a long day.

Harry is regarding the front of the house, seeing nothing remarkable for now, when Bates announces that dinner will be served shortly.

The companions gather in the dining room, where Harry Forby sits awaiting them, eager for news. Gertrude is also present, as is a young boy who regards the newcomers curiously. He is introduced as George Forby.

Dinner, like lunch, is rather plain, consisting of boiled chicken and potatoes, followed by rice pudding. No alcohol is on offer. Harry inquires into the investigators’ progress so far.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"From examining the carvings in the mausoleum," says Alexander, "Harry hit upon the possibility that 'Apollo's bower' is a reference to the house itself, or perhaps the entrance, as there are two laurels flanking the front door and a bower can be a house. The treasure thus may be in the house rather than on the grounds somewhere. I was thinking that perhaps the iron dog that gives off sparks may be found in one of the fireplaces."

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:48 am
by HoneyDog
Harry nods his head slowly, intrigued. “That’s amazing! You’ve found all this out already! I was right to ask for your help!”

George looks up from his chicken. “Are you all searching for a ghost?” he asks.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nae lad, not a ghost," says Alexander. "We're searching for your family's treasure."

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:26 am
by HoneyDog
“Now George, don’t bother our guests with your ghost tales. You’re too imaginative!”

Gertrude smiles at Alexander and blushes.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:09 pm
by Philulhu
Something about the tone of the conversation caught Vic’s ear. She leaned forward so she was at eye level with George, smiled and said, ”I like a good ghost story, Master Forby. Have you got one to tell?”

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 am
by HoneyDog
George just has a liking for such stories” says Gertrude. “He hears them from the villagers sometimes. Perhaps the dinner table isn’t the best place for them.”

“In fact, it’s past your bedtime, young man” says Forby, who looks uncomfortable during all this talk. “Off you go! You’re still under the weather. You don’t want to end up like me!”

Grumbling, George is led off to bed. As darkness draws in, Forby becomes increasingly anxious.

“Make sure all of the doors and windows are locked!” he tells Gertrude.

“But, Harry, it’s incredibly hot!” Gertrude protests.

“Just do it, dammit woman!” Forby roars, going red in the face.

Gertrude, shocked, runs from the room.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do any of the fireplaces in the house have what might be described as an iron dog with red eyes?" asks Alexander, quickly changing the subject and hoping to bring Harry Forby out of his foul mood.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:55 am
by HoneyDog
“What?” says Forby. He is sweating profusely and his eyes skirt anxiously around the room. “I’ve no idea what you’re blabbing on about man.”

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked on uncomfortably as Harry’s temper got the better of him. Something had obviously got him rattled, starting with Master George’s mention of ghosts.

”Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” she thought to herself, and said, ”You seem ill at ease, Mr. Forby. Tell me, have you seen any ghosts?”

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:39 pm
by HoneyDog
Forby looks at Vic with what seems to be a mixture of amazement, fear and fury.

“What?” he finally splutters. He grabs his canes and rises to his feet. Without another word he rises and leaves the room.
OOC,Anyone can roll Psychology if you like.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:50 pm
by aine
"Please don't go, Mr Forby, I think it is time for we ladies to retire and leave the gentlemen to their, Er, cigars." Isolde says as he leaves, looking pointedly looking at Vic.
Paychology,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 am
by Philulhu
”Well, that was going to go one way or another... ...” thought Vic to herself, as she watched Forby head towards the door.
OOC,Psychology (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown watches Forby leaving the room. 'Our Mr Forby is hiding something, perhaps he is scared?'
Harry Psychology 05%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"He doesna seem quite himself," says Alexander.
OOC,Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Forby[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 am
by HoneyDog
As the companions are talking Gertrude returns, wiping her eyes.

“You must forgive Harry she says. “His illness means he’s really not himself.”

Collecting herself, she asks, “What do you plan to do now? You must be very tired after looking around all day in this heat.”

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I was planning to look at the fireplaces," says Alexander. "One of them may have the 'iron dog with red eyes' that shoots sparks. What can you tell us about the fireplaces in the house?"

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
Gertrude looks mystified.

“They’re just fireplaces as far as I’m aware. There are a lot of them. Well, if you’re sure. Please don’t hesitate to call on me or Bates if you need anything. I’ll bid you goodnight, I must see to Harry and the house.”

She takes her leave.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 am
by Philulhu
OOC,What time of day is it?

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry Brown goes to the window and looks out.
OOC,Is it dark outside?

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,It is about 7.30pm, and while still light now it will be dark soon.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm
by aine
"Do you suppose anything might happen during the night?" Asks Isolde. "Alexander, if you and Liv are looking at fireplaces and the folios until late this evening; maybe Harry and I could rise very early and keep watch until dawn."

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, if you like," says Alexander.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:08 am
by Mephistophilis
'Well Forby did seem rather nervous. It seems unlikely but I'm quite happy to go ghost hunting with you Miss Beauchant' smiles Harry. 'We could take the opportunity to explore the communal areas of the house'.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:43 pm
by HoneyDog
Their plans made, the companions go about their business.

Isolde and Harry retire, planning to wake later that night to keep watch and explore.

Alexander begins looking at the fireplace in the dining room.
Alexander,Please tell me what Alexander is looking to examine specifically.
Equipped with a lantern, and rubbing her tired eyes, Vic returns to the library.
Vic,It is a big library with many books. There won’t be enough time tonight to look through it in detail. Please give me a Library Use roll.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:59 pm
by Philulhu
Vic tried leaving the lantern on the table in the centre of the room, but found it didn’t cast enough light to illuminate the book titles. Sighing, she went back and fetched it, before walking slowly around the room, holding up the lantern so she could read clearly.

Even with the improved illumination, the standard bookbinding of gold print on brown leather wasn’t the easiest thing to read and after ten minutes, she was beginning to develop a headache. She sighed, straightened up and looked around the room. She wasn’t even really sure what sort of book she was looking for...
OOC,Library Use (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
Vic,Before she succumbs to her fatigue, [b]Vic [/b]manages to discern some order among the collection. Although placed haphazardly, the books all seem to belong to [b]Nicholas[/b], [b]Aleister [/b]or [b]Harry[/b]. [b]Nicholas’ [/b]books concentrate on the Classics, the history of Architecture, Art, and Sculpture. [b]Aleister’s[/b] tastes also included the Classics but also English History and the Advancement of Moral Thought. [b]Harry[/b] seems to have a love of Fishing and Gothic novels, including many of the classics. The time is now nearing 10pm, and exhausted, [b]Vic [/b]heads off to bed. [ooc]Vic now has a good idea of the layout of the collection but she's done for this evening. Further Library Use rolls are needed to find more. It will take some time to sort through everything.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander looks for any ironwork in or around the fireplace that might be construed as an iron dog with red eyes.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Alexander carefully examines the fireplace, the the ironwork seems ordinary, not ornate in any way. [ooc]Does Alexander want to retire to bed like the others? He will be very tired after the busy day.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Feeling tired, Alexander decides to call it a night, letting Vic know that he's going to turn in and telling her to wake the second shift when she's ready.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I will begin a new chapter.