Chapter 6: Day Three

During a sweltering August in 1881, one of the members of the Seekers of Enlightenment receives a letter from an old friend, requesting help in solving a family mystery. It will soon become a matter of life or death…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 6: Day Three

Post by HoneyDog »

Much of the writing is still intelligible, but Vic can make out most of the rest of the narrative.

It seems to consist of rantings directed at Christopher and Alice Forby, describing Nicholas’ growing hatred of them, and his pain and disgust of being betrayed. There is mention of a spyhole and a secret passage.
OOC,You can roll English again.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

“Well, it is rather rude to peep, I suppose; we’d better head back.” Whispers Isolde slightly worried about what they may overhear and who may be in the bedrooms right now, “Well done, though, you’ll make a fine investigator, young George!”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic frowned as she read the details of the scandalous behaviour. ”Do you think the affair has anything to do with what is happening now? she asked, with a note of doubt in her voice.
English (75%),[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I dinna ken," says Alexander, "but anything's possible. There must be something in here that will point us to the treasure, or at least lead us to the next step on the trail. That spyhole and secret passage may be relevant."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Reluctantly, George leads Isolde back the way they came, and into his bedroom.

Vic returns to the papers, and although the narrative has become even more incoherent and disjointed, she reads out the final words.

“If a cock crow in another’s nest, then let that rooster a cuckold be. Why should he inherit? I’faith I shall mimic Perseus, an amusing conceit, and with the gift of Prometheus dispel the night from Apollo’s bower. Where’er this light do shine, there I will conceal it. I shall conceal it, I mock you, my green ey’d rooster’s egg. For it is mine.”

There is also marginalia around this last part, in a hand different from Nicholas’. The writer indicates shock at his mother’s infidelity, and the jottings indicate that these events took place nine months before birth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, you were right lass," says Alexander. "This does give us a new clue. The gift of Prometheus is fire. We'll need to light the fireplace tonight and see where the light shines. I believe Perseus used his shield to reflect Medusa's gaze back at herself, so we'll need to reflect the firelight in order to find the emerald."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic glanced around the room. ”In what do you think the firelight will be reflected?”
OOC,Is there a mirror in room?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No, but you'll be able to get one. Good deduction by Mr. Handy!
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde follows George back out, I’m sorry, George, you know I used to be a governess? And sometimes it gets the better of me. But it’s much more fun being an investigator isn’t it?” She winks at him. “Id like to go back in but I want to talk to you first without anyone hearing us through the walls.

Now you know we are here to help your father and this is a very important clue you have found; does anyone else know about the secret passage?” And did you see those lines on the floor? Like little tracks? We are going to go back in and follow the passage all the way to the end. We’ll investigate scientifically: look for anything interesting and we’ll try to guess what made those lines; try not to stand on them! You go first.”

Isolde lets George go first.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

George shakes his head.

“It’s fine” he says. “Of course, I’ve followed the passage to the end. There’s a little staircase after the bedrooms which leads quite deep down, and ends up at a dead end. That’s it really. No-one but me knows about it, I’m pretty sure. At least I’ve never seen any sign of anyone else there. Those tracks I think come from that funny wheeled chair in the library.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A mirror would do nicely," says Alexander. "We're bound to find one about the house."
OOC,Thanks!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry looks closely at the sketches. 'Is this the Icarus of legend, with the wings? I wonder what led him to cast that strange figure outside instead?'
Harry English 55%,[dice]0[/dice] in case it is needed
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,There's nothing else to be found from these papers, although you can still search the library for more information if you wish.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

So it might have been Nicholas using this passage.” Murmurs Isolde, “ But then how did he get down the staircase? Let’s go and examine the end of the tunnel.” She says to George. She wonders if they pass Meddler’s bedroom too. She lifts her skirts, careful not to brush the markings on the floor.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“There’s nothing there” George shrugs. “But you can look if you like. You’ll need a light on the stairs. I should go back before Mother comes looking for me.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic looked at the library shelves, scanning the titles for anything that related to Icarus or Greek mythology.
Library use (50%),[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic can see that Nicholas’ collection contains many books on classic Greek mythology. She finds a couple of volumes which describe the story of Icarus, which just affirm what they already know.
OCC,We established the content of the collections earlier when the library was first visited. I don’t want to give too much away, but be careful with your library rolls. Maybe it’s better just to scan the shelves and see what comes up? Vic can have one more roll, the others two each of they wish.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic pulled a couple of the books of Greek mythology from the shelves but soon realised she was going over old ground as read once again the story of Icarus and his doomed flight to near to the sun.

She sighed and pushed the books away. She was sure there must be something in the library that would help to solve the mystery. She looked around once again, hoping inspiration would strike...
Library use (50%),[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander isn't sure what to look for, so he just peruses the bookshelves for anything of interest.
OOC,Library Use roll (64% skill) looking through the bookshelves: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry strolls along the shelves taking down books at random and leafing through them if they look interesting. He doesn't find anything that particularly catches his eye.
Harry Library Use 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
'Are we looking for anything in particular?'

Return to “The Masterwork of Nicholas Forby”