Page 1 of 1

The Devourer Below

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am
by Tabs
With XP from The Gathering, Daisy replaced Perception and Research Librarian with Disc of Itzama and Bulletproof Vest.

Skids, Sure Gamble replaced Beat Cop, he also carried over 2 XP. And he's got Lita Chandler in his deck.

We've got a further 5 XP to spend from Midnight Masks.

Here's a list of cards from the core set: https://arkhamdb.com/set/core

Skids will purchase Elder Sign Amulet (3 XP) and Hot Streak (4 XP).

ImageImage

Re: The Devourer Below

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
I see that I'd already selected my new cards at the end of the previous scenario's thread:
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I didn't realize we both had to resign. In that case, that could be your fourth action, as there's no reason for you to evade when the scenario is ending. I'll take Magnifying Glass (upgrade), Encyclopedia (replacing Arcane Initiate), and Blinding Light (upgrade). As much as I like Cryptic Research, I really need better ways of hurting enemies, and I can't get both.
Also, Hot Streak is awesome! 8-)

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 pm
by Tabs
Thanks, I missed that. Okay, I'll shuffle our decks later and draw 5 cards, posting them tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am
by Tabs
Daisy's starting hand. Take a mulligan if you wish but, oooh, she's got a Bulletproof Vest.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm
by Tabs
Skids's starting hand: Evidence!, Knife x2, Pickpocketing, Opportunist. Take a mulligan...

ImageImageImageImageImage

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll keep my starting hand. The cards mean I'll actually be able to fight a little if needed, and the Flashlight will help with vacuuming up clues.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Daisy fighting in the Bulletproof Vest, someone would pay to see that...  
After a frantic nighttime search throughout Arkham, you have tracked down and questioned several members of the cult. Your findings are disturbing: they claim to worship a being known as Umordhoth, a monstrous entity from another realm.

You are able to confirm much of Lita's story: the cult is agitated over the destruction of a ghoul lair. However, a surprising detail also turns up: the one who invaded the lair and set this night's events in motion was none other than Lita Chantler herself! You are not sure why this important detail was omitted from Lita's story - did she tell you only as much as was necessary to draw you into her conflict? But in another light, she seems to be fighting to protect the city of Arkham from a terrible menace.

The final piece of the puzzle was found written in a journal possessed by one of the cultists. It describes a dark ritual to be performed deep within the woods south of Arkham, this very night. According to the journal, the ritual's completion will open a gate and bring forth the cult's dark master into this world. "If the cult is not stopped," Lita warns, "there is a possibility that Umordhoth's vengeance will consume all in its path." Frightened but determined to stop the ritual, you head into the woods...

Image 6 clues

Image 1 doom token (starting penalty due to the 2 escaped cultists).

Image (There are 4 Woods locations.)

OOC:   Skids to gain a resource, Play Leo, and then gain 2 resources?  
Skids O'Toole stepped off the little bridge over Hangman's Brook and threw a stone, PLOP!, into the water.

"Miss Walker, it's mighty cold in these woods at night," he shivered, but whether from the chill night air or their dread search amongst the trees was unclear, his thick houndstooth jacket may be a clue, though. "I was thinking about help--help from someone else?

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Daisy shivers too, wrapping her arms around herself as her torn clothing lets in far too much of the night's chill. "Sounds good to me," she says. "We can use all the help we can get!"
OOC,I don't have time tonight to update my investigator sheet, but I should tomorrow night. I'm all for you getting a resource and playing [b]Leo[/b] with your first two actions, but we may want to explore and start gathering clues fast. You could use your third action to move to a new location, and your fourth you can decide what to do with once you've seen it. If you do that, I can join you and either investigate twice or equip my flashlight and investigate once. If you'd rather stay put and collect resources, I can just equip stuff. It won't be good to split up yet.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Mr. Handy, if you are pushed for time, post the next day. I may well do the same myself.

Resources or clues?--Skids'll compromise.  

"Hmmm," thought Skids, sensing a need for urgency but also wanting to be prepared. He noted Daisy's torn clothing, his face reddened as he thought about the snug jacket which he wore...

Investigation Phase 1

Action 1: gain 1 resource.

Action 2: Play Leo De Luca (6 resources).

Across the little bridge sauntered a lanky individual sporting a slouch hat.

"Hey! Leo," greeted Skids, clasping the Louisiana Lion's arms. "Still brewing that godawful southern hooch?" He took a step backward and introduced Daisy, "Miss Walker, librarian at the University here."

"She's not your usual type!" laughed Leo.

"Quiet, man, we're only--er--friends," he added lamely.

Action 3: Move to Arkham Woods.

ImageImage

"There's nothing here. Nice and peaceful, though," his voice echoed back.

Action 4: gain 1 resource.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 1 Action Phase

Daisy follows Skids and Leon deep into the woods, taking out a knife in her right hand and a flashlight in her left. "This is a nice spot," she says, "but there's not much of interest here. I think we need to move along. We may not have much time to stop the ritual."
OOC,Action 1: Move to Arkham Woods (purple moon). Action 2: Play Flashlight (spend 2 resources). Action 3: Play Knife (spend 1 resource).

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am
by Tabs
Upkeep Phase 1

Skids draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Daisy draws Image and gains 1 resource.

"'Move along,' sure," repeated Skids, eyeing Daisy's knife and wishing he was anywhere but here.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 am
by Tabs
Mythos Phase 2

Place 1 doom on the agenda (2/4).

Skids draws Image

He put a finger tip in his ear, as if exploring for wax. "I can't hear a thing, except voices in my head," Skids looked to Daisy with a quizzical, almost a dumbfounded expression upon his pale face.

Daisy draws Image

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is the minimum I can get 0, or can my total go negative? If so, I could easily fail by 5 and go down just from an unlucky draw. What is my total if I draw tentacles? I'm trying to decide whether or not to use Mind Over Matter. If I can't lose more than 3 health from this, I'll just take my chances. Otherwise, if I could lose 5 health from this, I need to use it just in case.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 am
by Tabs
OOC:   The worst result possible is 0, even if a Chaos token would modify a test to a negative. Tentacles are an automatic 0. Therefore Daisy may suffer a maximum of 3 damage.

Oh, BTW, an additional, 17th, Chaos token (-5--squid) has been added.  

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Mythos Phase

Daisy screams as a pair of hands claw their way out of the dirt by her feet and grab at her legs. She tears herself loose, suffering some scratches in the process.
OOC,Agility test (difficulty 3) for Grasping Hands: [dice]0[/dice] 2 skill + 0 = 2. 1 damage taken.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm
by Tabs
Investigation Phase 2

Skids stamped furiously on top of the grasping hands. "I hope that I cracked a few knuckles!" he said, but otherwise doesn't comment upon the weird event apart from, "Well, that could've been worse, Miss Walker."

"Right," he continued, "Leo and I will do some more exploring."

Action 1: Move to the Main Path.

Action 2: Move to Arkham Woods.

Image 2 clues.

Action 3 and 4: gain 1 resource.
OOC:   Next turn Skids to Play Flashlight and then Investigate?  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Maybe I should move to join you and then spend my remaining action to investigate, doing it again next turn, as I already have the flashlight equipped. I shouldn't have too much problem moving out of that location later. Or we could split up and I could go to an unexplored location. We could find clues faster, but it could prove dangerous.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Okay, let's stick together. Skids may well have trouble finding a way out of Twisting Paths--his Flashlight can contribute toward a skill test? Also he has potentially 5 Actions and can Engage and then Evade any nasties who appear?  

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Actually, I'm having second thoughts. I don't know how much time we have, but it may be better to split up and both search for clues in different locations. How about I spend my first action moving to the Woods location with the two lines with a blue background, since that's next to both of our current locations? Once it's unlocked, I'll decide if it's worth staying there and searching for clues or joining you.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 am
by Tabs
OOC:   You decide, but the location, blue with two stripes, hasn't been revealed yet. Daisy'll have to Move back to the Main Path first.  

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I didn't realize it worked that way, or I'd have split up to go to a new location last turn. In that case, we have even less time to spare than I'd thought, so I'd better go off on my own. At least I'll be able to handle a monster if one pops up on me. I'll have to spend my first action going back to the Main Path and my second going to a new Woods location.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am
by Tabs
Unlocked,[img]https://arkhamdb.com/bundles/cards/01153.jpg[/img] 2 clues. Ha! if only Skids had found this place first.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Investigator Phase

Daisy follows the men back to the main path, but she soon gets separated from them and is lost in the woods. She finds herself at the base of a cliff. She isn't the world's best climber, but thanks to her flashlight, she is able to reach the top.
OOC,Yeah, it would have been better if you'd found my location and I'd found yours. Still the flashlight will help me, as it reduces shroud regardless of the attribute being tested. It won't help with your Intellect test for getting out of your location, though. Action 1: Move to Main Path Action 2: Move to Arkham Woods (Cliffside) Action 3: Activate Flashlight to investigate Agility test (2 skill vs. 2 - 2 = 0 shroud): [dice]0[/dice] 2 minus 5 results in a minimum of 0, which is still a success! 1 Clue gained.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am
by Tabs

Skids watched the flashlight's beam as it flicked to and fro amongst the tree trunks. Daisy was some way away and he felt concerned for her safety, all alone in the woods. If he'd realised she was scrambling up a cliff he'd have gone into a decline, but he only marvelled at how useful a flashlight really was...

Upkeep Phase 2

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:17 pm
by Tabs
Mythos Phase 3

Place 1 doom on the agenda (3/4).

Skids draws Image

Advance agenda.

Image 1 doom

"Umordhoth... Umordhoth... Umordhoth..."

Skids winced and ducked as if physically struck. The gloom of the woods became a shade darker. "Shit bricks," he muttered, an imprecation from his elementary schoolyard.

Daisy draws Image

Main Path [Ghoul Minion (1 doom)] -> connected to each other Woods location.

Quiet Glade -> Cliffside

Cliffside [Daisy, Ghoul Minion] -> Quiet Glade

Twisting Paths [Skids]

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You should probably try to get the two clues at your location and equip your machete so that you can quickly kill lone ghouls. I think I can handle the ghoul at my location with Mind over Matter and then pick up the second clue (using Working a Hunch if I run out of actions).

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:09 pm
by Tabs
Investigation Phase 3

Skids cocks his head, listening? "Yeah, let's investigate these twisting paths!"

Action 1: Play Flashlight.

Action 2: Investigate, using Flashlight, Twisting Paths (shroud 3 -2). Intellect 3, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-2); success! 1 clue gained.

Action 3: Investigate, using Flashlight, Twisting Paths (shroud 3 -2). Intellect 3, Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (elder sign +2 and gain 2 resources); oh yeah! 1 clue gained.

Action 4: Play Machete.

He poked around with the flashlight's beam, and discovered a torn piece of hessian cloth and a pot of red powder--he didn't know what to make of these clues but stowed them in his voluminous pockets anyhow. Leo de Luca handed him a machete, something more at home slicing its way through vine tendrils and other tropical vegetation. "You're gonna need it," said Leo. "I fuckin' hope not," replied Skids, sliding the machete under his belt.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Investigator Phase

No sooner has Daisy reached the top of the cliff than one of the hideous canine-featured creatures rushes at her from the woods and slams her to the ground. "HELP!" she screams at the top of her lungs. While she is sure that Skids and his friend will be able to hear her wherever they are, she is equally sure that they will never get to her in time. She struggles with the monster, but she is not strong enough, and it seems to have superhuman strength. Its claws further shred her clothing, and it brings its face close to hers, drool dripping from its jaws as it leers at her. She turns her head aside, clenching her eyes shut, sobbing and shrieking as it nuzzles her neck. Then she feels it hike her skirt and force her legs apart. "NO!" she cries, despair nearly overwhelming her. However, she manages to keep enough of her wits about her to realize that if she is going to get out of this, she will have to use her mind rather than her flagging strength. When it tries to thrust forward, she propels the beast upwards so that it sails over her and off of the edge of the cliff. It lands far below with a crunch.

Still weeping and trembling, Daisy drags herself to her feet and takes a good look around her. Suddenly, everything becomes clear.
OOC,Nicely done! Fast Action: Play Mind over Matter. Action 1: Fight Ghoul Minion Intellect test (5 skill vs. 2+1 = 2): [dice]0[/dice] 5 -1 = 4. Ghoul Minion takes 1 damage. Action 2: Fight Ghoul Minion Intellect test (5 skill vs. 2+1 = 2): [dice]1[/dice] 5 -2 = 3. Ghoul Minion takes 1 damage and is defeated Action 3: Investigate Intellect test (5 skill vs. 2 shroud = 3): [dice]2[/dice] 5 +1 = 6. 1 Clue gained.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 am
by Tabs

"DAISY!" he cried, "Daisy, DAISY!" He said in a strangled whisper, his gut wracked with fear, "They've got her. God damn it all to hell!"

Upkeep Phase 3

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm
by Tabs
Mythos Phase 4

Place 1 doom on the agenda (1/5).

Skids draws Image

Agility 4, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] -1 vs. 3 ; success.

More disembodied hands, like the ones which had scratched at Daisy's legs, thrust between the tree roots and clawed at the air, straining towards Skids. He siddestepped away nimbly, and aimed an accurate gob of spittle at them.

Daisy draws Image and it engages her...

Each enemy gets +1 fight and +1 evade.

Main Path [Ghoul Minion (1 doom)] -> connected to each other Woods location.

Quiet Glade -> Cliffside

Cliffside [Daisy, Young Deep One] -> Quiet Glade

Twisting Paths [Skids]
OOC:   How tough is an Old Deep One?! What to do, what to do... and Skids may well be lost amongst Twisting Paths. But he could try for the Main Path and kill the Ghoul Minion there. Daisy to Move, taking a hit from the Young Deep One?  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Mythos Phase

Daisy follows the path she has found until she comes across a stream and begins to wade across it, her skirt short enough that it doesn't get wet. When she gets about halfway across, something seizes her by the legs and pulls her beneath the water! Flailing and spluttering, she manages to turn around and bring her head back above the surface, where she is met by the horrifying sight of yet another monster. This one is humanoid, but it looks like it is a cross between a man and a fish or a frog, with bulging eyes, sharp rows of teeth, and gills. Its webbed claws crawl up her body as it climbs on top of her, and her terrified screams begin anew. They are cut off suddenly when the creature locks its lips around hers and kisses her roughly.
OOC,Yes, you should move to the Main Path (if you can) and kill the Ghoul Minion. If you have two actions left after doing that, you could then move to the Cliffside and engage the Young Deep One so that I can escape. If you don't manage that, I may be able to evade if I commit Manual Dexterity and Hyperawareness. If not, I may even be able to do some damage, but it would mean throwing the Knife and committing the Bulletproof Vest for extra strength.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 am
by Tabs
Investigator Phase 4

Screams. Daisy's screams. For a moment he's relieved, "Daisy Walker is alive still!" Then the awful alternative presents itself, "And she's in danger again!"

"I'm coming, Miss Walker!"

Action 1: Move out of Twisting Paths to Main Path.

Intellect 3 +2[On the Lam] +1[Opportunist], Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (tablet -3) ; success.
OOC:   Edit: Just realised that "On the Lam" is +3, so I'm taking "Opportunist" back into my hand.  
He found his way out. Jogging round a huge, lightening-scorched tree stump he stopped dead, confronted by "a colossal and nameless blasphemy."

Image +1 fight, +1 evade

Action 2: Fight the Ghoul Minion. Fight 3 +1[Opportunist] +1[Machete], Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (0) ; success, 1 +1 damage, Ghoul Minion killed.

It loped towards him, knuckles dragging through fallen leaves, bony claws clenching and bloody maw drooling with anticipation. Skids drew the machete from out under his belt, and took a mighty swing with it at the ghoul; truth to tell, he had his eyes closed and mentally crossed his fingers. The result was as brutal as it was shocking to him. Gouts of gore sprayed the path, trees, and himself. The ghoul fell and lay motionless upon the ground.

Action 3: Move to Cliffside.

Action 4: Engage the Young Deep One.

"Daisy, Daisy," he repeated.

Splashing, gurgling, choking, gasping. He waded into a stream which had stopped his frantic running and dived towards a patch of bubbles and foaming water. He hooked an arm round Daisy's waist and dragged her to the bank. Something jerked at his ankle. Skids turned to face a hideous frog-thing, his eyes drawn to its gills which flapped uselessly at the air.

"Run, Miss Walker, run!"

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

"Th-thank you..." wheezes Daisy, scrambling to her feet. What's left of her clothing is drenched, her torn blouse hanging off of her right shoulder, now bare but for the strap of her brassiere. The left side of her skirt is ripped up to her hip. However, she isn't too badly hurt physically. She races back for the main path, not daring to look back, and continues into the woods beyond on the other side. She runs until she is out of breath, when she leans against a tree and slides down to the ground, gasping. Why do these monsters keep trying to have their way with me? she thinks, shuddering at how close she had come to being violated. Maybe that frog-man thought it would turn into a prince. If Skids hadn't gotten to me in time...I hope he's okay. I wouldn't have minded if he had kissed me.
OOC,Action 1: Move to Main Path Action 2: Move to unexplored Woods location I'll wait to see that before I take my third action. Hopefully I can pick up a clue with that and then get the last one we need with Working a Hunch.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am
by Tabs
Image 2 clues

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

Once Daisy has caught her breath, she gets up and continues through the thick, tangled woods. Branches and brambles clutch at her, reminding her all too uncomfortably of grasping claws, but she lights her way with the flashlight and cuts through them. Soon she reaches a clearing, where what she sees reveals, with the help of feminine intuition, what needs to be done to stop this madness.
OOC,Action 3: Activate Flashlight. Fight roll (2 vs. 2 -2[Flashlight] = 0 shroud: [dice]0[/dice] 2 -1 = 1. Success! 1 Clue gained. Free Action: Spend 2 resources to play Working a Hunch. 1 Clue gained. Spend 6 Clues to complete the Act.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:55 am
by Tabs

ImageImage spawn at the Main Path.

Enemy Phase 4

Leo de Luca pushed aside Skids. The Louisiana Lion was subject to the full horror of the frog-thing, and he took a nasty swipe across his chest from its webbed claw; miniature phials of moonshine, which he had kept in one bulging breast pocket, scattered, some smashed, over the river bank.

"That really is the pits," he said, and meant it, too.

Leo suffers 1 damage and 1 horror.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yikes! I sure hope you draw a Dynamite Blast! Otherwise, you'll probably need to go to the Main Path after you've dealt with the Young Deep One while I slip past, though I'm probably ill-prepared to do anything at the Ritual Site.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 am
by Tabs
Upkeep Phase 4

OOC:   What will our encounters be? Also I don't know what we'll face at the Ritual Site, but how about we make a rush for it? Daisy could don Bulletproof Vest and Skids ready Bandages?  

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yeah, let's get there as fast as possible. That Barricade will be really nice for me to put up once we get there, as that will keep other monsters from following us. Plus, it's free!

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:29 pm
by Tabs
Mythos Phase 5

Place 1 doom on the agenda (2/5).

Skids draws Image Take 1 horror (+1 because I forgot to for the other Young Deep One).

Daisy draws Image 2 doom placed on Peter Warren.

Each enemy gets +1 fight and +1 evade.

Main Path ["Wolf-man" Drew, Peter Warren (2 doom)] -> connected to each other Woods location.

Quiet Glade -> Cliffside -> Tangled Thicket

Cliffside [Skids, Young Deep One, Young Deep One] -> Quiet Glade

Twisting Paths -> Tangled Thicket

Tangled Thicket [Daisy] -> Twisting Paths -> Quiet Glade

Ritual Site

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You only take 1 horror, as you engaged the first Young Deep One. You only take the horror when it engages you. I guess your best bet is to either evade the Young Deep Ones or just drag them with you to the Main Path, then try to finish off the cultist with 2 doom. Otherwise, the agenda will advance in the coming Mythos Phase. Once all the enemies in the Main Path are engaged with you, I can run for the Ritual Site and (unless the situation warrants using my third action otherwise) set up the Barricade.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Thanks! 1 sanity added back.  

Investigator Phase 5

Skids was in deep trouble. He couldn't decide upon the best course of action so chose a fudge in-between.

Action 1: Evade Young Deep One.

Image +1 evade

Agility 4 ...

And then changed his mind--he would go mad anyhow. He ran, the two frog-things biting at his heels.

Move to Main Path, suffering 2 damage and 2 horror.

Two more of 'em! Two humans blocked his path, together with the frog-things that made four! At least Daisy would make it past and on to the cave--but what awaited her inside? Despairingly he drew the machete and hacked at the elderly-looking duffer.

Action 2: Fight Peter Warren.

Image +1 fight

Fight 3 +1[Machete] +1[Guard Dog], 5 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-1) ; success, 1 damage to Peter Warren.

Action 3: Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete] +1[Hard Knocks], 5 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (-3) ; missed.

Action 4: Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete], 4 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]2[/dice] (-1) ; success, 1 damage to Peter Warren.

Action 5 (spend 2 resources): Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete], 4 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]3[/dice] (elder sign +2 and gain 2 resources) ; success! 1 damage to Peter Warren who is killed.

Skids's final attempt with the machete cut into that pocket between collar bone and neck; Peter Warren performed a pirouette, screamed a lot, his death-cry echoing through the wood, and then collapsed in an untidy sprawl. The wolf-man howled an abominable cry and the two frog-things surrounded Skids; he felt very alone.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

Now that Daisy has figured out how to get to the cave where the summoning ritual will take place, she runs back to the main path, where she sees Skids fighting. He has downed an old cultist, but he is surrounded by a feral-looking lupine man and two of the fish-frog things like the one that had attacked her earlier. In fact, one of them was the same creature. "Skids, follow me!" she calls. "I've got a plan!" She hurries onward, into the hidden cave.
OOC,Action 1: Move to Main Path Action 2: Move to Ritual Site Nicely done! I'll wait to see what happens when I unlock the Ritual Site and advance the Act before I use my third action. I don't want to use the Bulletproof Vest just yet in case I need to commit it for a combat boost or need to do something else before the end of my turn, such as setting up the Barricade. We may need that in place so that you can join me safely behind it and keep the remaining monsters out of the Ritual Site.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 am
by Tabs
Image 4 clues

"I'll be there!" shouted Skids. He knew that unless fortune smiled upon him, he was finished.

"Always look on the bright side," he said to Leo. They were back to back, waiting for the onslaught from their foes.

"I need a drink! To be once more in the cider cellars," replied Leo wistfully.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Well, that could have been a whole lot worse. I can probably defeat the Ghoul Minion with my third action if I throw my Knife and commit my Bulletproof Vest, which will give me 6 fight versus 3 and do 2 damage if I hit. If I set up the Barricade now, I'll be taking two hits, however. Are we required to maintain the same player order every turn, or am I allowed to go first next turn? If I can, then I can play the Barricade and take my other actions before you do, so that you could evade as many of your opponents as you can before moving into the Ritual Site where they can't follow you. It's a shame you already used up On the Lam. That would have been perfect in this situation. It's going to be insanely hard to complete the Act before the Agenda advances, but we can give it a good try.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   "On the Lam" was made for the predicament that Skids finds himself in, oh well! With play order, we decide who takes their actions first. Skids, being lead investigator, will gain some bonuses and be afflicted by some card events. If he doesn't evade next turn he's not gonna make it to the Ritual Site! How I'd like to draw dynamite next...

I think that Daisy should don the Bulletproof Vest.  

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

"Safe at last,"sighs Daisy when she enters the shadowy cave. Just then, another ghoul emerges from the shadows near the cave mouth and tackles her from behind, slamming her to the ground! "No!" she shrieks, turning around and hurling her knife at it with all her flagging strength. However, it sails right past the creature's head and outside, into the night. Daisy wails as it seizes her wrists and pins them, cackling hungrily.
OOC,If I did that, I'd take two hits and basically be trading 2 Sanity and one action for 2 Health. While I could spare the Sanity, actions at this point are more precious than Health. I don't think I'll be knocked out in what little time remains. Once the Ancient One is summoned, we won't stand a chance. I need to take out the ghoul now, and I'll only get one shot that can cause 2 damage, so I need to boost my odds. By committing the vest, I'll succeed on 14 out of 17 possible draws. If I don't finish the ghoul now, next turn may be worse, especially if another monster spawns in the cave. I'll go first next turn and play the Barricade then if I can. Action 3: Activate and discard Knife. Fight Ghoul Minion (2 +2[Bulletproof Vest] +2[Knife] = 6 vs. 2 +1[Agenda] = 3): [dice]0[/dice] D'oh! :o

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:57 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Oh well! Not to be too negative, but I don't think either of us will survive if we continue.  

Enemy Phase 5

"Wolf-man" Drew and two Young Deep Ones attack Skids dealing 4 damage and 2 sanity loss.

Another swipe, and another, followed by an ear splitting and terrifying screech,--some kind of fan-like appendage stood on end and vibrated,--throughout the onslaught by the frog-things the wolf-man grinned with degraded pleasure, exposing decaying fangs; he sank them into Skids's shoulder, several of the more rotten teeth broke off, leaving black stumps.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Enemy Phase

Daisy struggles in vain, far too weak to overcome the monster. It straddles her and rips apart what's left of her blouse, then sinks its teeth into her side. She screams in anguish, knowing that she's doomed. Skids isn't going to be able to rescue her, let alone himself.
OOC,[b]Daisy[/b] takes 1 damage and 1 horror. Yeah, I think we're hooped at this point. We should probably resign unless we get some really miraculous cards. You'd have to evade all three of your enemies in order to be able to do anything.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am
by Tabs
Upkeep Phase 5

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That would have been very useful earlier, but it's too late for it now.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:42 pm
by Tabs
Mythos Phase 6

Place 1 doom on the agenda (3/5).

Skids draws Image 2 doom on "Wolf-man" Drew.

Daisy draws Image

Will 2 +2[Guts] +1[First Aid] vs. 6, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-5) ; failure.

It was all becoming unbearable. A dull gong-like noise vibrated in Skids's head. He felt extremely weak physically; mentally he was barely master of his faculties. The urge to lie down upon the leaves and cry was prevented merely by him being propped against Leo de Luca's back.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Mythos Phase

A wave of despair crashed over Daisy. As if the fact that she was about to be ravished and eaten by a monster wasn't bad enough, she could tell that something overwhelmingly worse was about to arrive...
OOC,There's no point in me committing cards, as I'll need to commit the Barricade for Agility to evade in order to escape alive. With only two Will I can commit, I'd only succeed on one token out of 17, so it's not worth it, especially if there are other effects from the Ancient One for which I'll need Will. Will roll (skill 3) vs. 6 difficulty: [dice]0[/dice] 3-4 = 0 minimum. Failure. [b]Daisy[/b] gains a random basic weakness into her hand.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 pm
by Tabs

Investigator Phase 6

Action 1: Resign.

A gnarled old oak, growing atop a collapsed bank, its roots exposed like a knotted cobweb. Skids dived towards it, then scrambled between the roots in a panicked drive to escape. Once out the other side he tumbled head over heels down a damp slope covered in leaves... Did he think of Daisy Walker during his desperate flight? Well, no he did not.

The end for "Skids" O'Toole.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Investigator Phase

Daisy screams repeatedly as the ghoul hikes her skirt and spreads her legs. Just as it is about to defile her, a tentacle bursts from the dirt floor of the cave, wraps itself around the ghoul's neck, and twists off its head. Daisy wastes no time in trying to get out of there, but more tentacles erupt from the ground. Right before she reaches the cave mouth, two of them wrap themselves around her ankles and she sprawls headfirst to the ground. She digs her fingers into the ground as they drag her inexorably backwards, but to no avail. More tentacles ensnare her waist and her arms, and there is no escape. Then an enormous maw emerges from below, lined with row after row of sharp, nasty teeth. Daisy lets out one final scream as it swallows her whole.
OOC,Action 1: Evade Umdordhoth (2 Agility + 2[Manual Dexterity] + 1[Hyperawareness] +1[Barricade] = 6 vs. 6): [dice]0[/dice] 6-3=3. Failure. Action 2: Attempt to move to Main Path. Lose 3 Health and 4 Sanity, eliminated. If I'd put on the Bulletproof Vest, I'd have been able to survive (barely), but I hadn't known all of those doom tokens would be added so quickly, I hadn't known the Ancient One would be so hard to evade, and I hadn't known that the Ghoul Minion would be destroyed anyway. EDIT: Wait, hold on, I just realized that the Agenda can only advance at the start of the Mythos phase when the first doom token was added, so those extra doom tokens added later in the Mythos phase don't advance the Agenda just yet, giving us one turn to get out of here. In that case, my evade attempt succeeds against the Ghoul Minion, I use my second action to move to the Main Path, and I use my third action to Resign.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 am
by Tabs
OOC:   It was worth it for the description! The game was over anyhow.

I was thinking of playing a sidestory, CARNAVALE OF HORRORS, in a month's time. Interested?  

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Investigator Phase

Daisy screams repeatedly as the ghoul hikes her skirt and spreads her legs. Just as it is about to defile her, she slams her knee into its groin, causing it to roll off of her and moan in pain. Wasting no time, she scrambles to her feet and sprints out of the cave mouth, back to the main path. There she is confronted with the two fishmen and the wolfman, but there is no sign of Skids. The wolfman is preoccupied with chanting. The fishmen advance on her, and one of them seizes her in a slimy embrace. "She's mine!" it burbles.

"I saw her first!" croaks the other, pulling it away. While they fight over Daisy, she flees down the path into the night. She has failed to stop the Ancient One from rising, but at least she is miraculously still alive and inviolate.
OOC,Yes, definitely! 8-) I'll leave my post above unedited and write [b]Daisy[/b]'s real ending here. If we continue to play the same characters, we won't have picked up those extra Weaknesses, and I won't have the penalty for being defeated. Action 1: Evade Ghoul Minion (2 Agility + 2[Manual Dexterity] + 1[Hyperawareness] +1[Barricade] = 6 vs. 3): 6-3=3. Success. [b]Daisy[/b] draws a card, not that it matters. Action 2: Move to Main Path. Action 3: Resign

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 am
by Tabs
OOC:   I was thinking: Why not? yes, continue as Daisy. But...  
If no resolution was reached (each investigator resigned or was defeated): Too frightened to face her fate, Lita flees into the night. She realizes that she has failed and Umordhoth's vengeance will pursue her wherever she goes. The creature's tendrils spread throughout the city of Arkham, searching for her. It lurks in the darkness of every corner, tugging at the seams of reality. But Lita is nowhere to be found, so the creature dwells in the shadows to this day, searching...killing.

In your Campaign Log, record that Arkham succumbed to Umordhoth's terrible vengeance.
Each surviving investigator is killed.
The investigators lose.
OOC:   I definitely wish to choose an Investigator from the Dunwich Legacy. A new class, maybe Zoey. Also standalone scenarios have XP to spend--I'll check the rulebook.  

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Ouch! Well, guess we have to start over then. I'll take a random character from the full set, then. I have the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe Expansion, but I haven't even opened it yet.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am
by Tabs
Choose Mr. Handy's investigator [dice]1[/dice]

Tabs

Build a deck from the core x2 and The Dunwich Legacy (including Mythos packs). You can have up to 49 XP of cards for a standalone scenario, but every 10 XP beyond 9 adds a basic weakness to your deck, e.g. 28 XP adds two basic weaknesses (total three).

Let me know which cards you choose. I plan to start playing CARNIVALE in November.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Looks like our characters make a natural team! You cook, and I serve. Zoey is awesome and can kick a lot of butt! Unfortunately, neither of us are good at investigating, but at least we have access to cards that can help us find clues. I don't have time to build my deck now, but maybe this weekend.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:09 pm
by Tabs
I'll definitely be putting Flashlight x2 in my deck. Started a new thread for CARNIVALE, it's just fluff--so only reply if you feel like it!

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be grabbing a couple of flashlights too, and I noticed some other nice cards looking through them. There's one that lets me investigate with Will, and another that lets me find two clues even if I fail by two points.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
In addition to Heirloom of Hyperborea, Dark Memory, and a Basic Weakness that I have to take, the following cards will go in my deck:
Forbidden Knowledge, Shrivelling, Arcane Studies, Arcane Initiate, Drawn to the Flame, Ward of Protection, Blinding Light (2), Book of Shadows (3), Rite of Seeking, Bind Monster (2)
Leather Coat, Baseball Bat, Stray Cat, Dig Deep, Cunning Distraction, "Look What I Found!", Lucky, Survival Instinct, Fire Axe, Peter Sylvestre: Big Man on Campus (2)
Knife, Knife, Flashlight, Flashlight, Emergency Cache, Emergency Cache, Perception, Perception, Unexpected Courage, Unexpected Courage

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am
by Tabs
1x Lightning Gun (5), 2x Flashlight, 2x Machete, 1x Bandolier, 2x Guard Dog, 1x Liquid Courage, 2x "If it bleeds...", 2x "Let me handle this!", 1x Dodge, 2x Emergency Aid, 2x Evidence!, 2x Prepared for the Worst, 2x Shortcut, 2x Sleight of Hand, 1x Vicious Blow, 2x Contraband, 2x Extra Ammunition (1), 1x Emergency Cache (2)

I plan for Zoey to blast all before her! excepting Agnes of course.