The Gathering

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:35 am
by Tabs
ImageImageImage 4
ImageImage

Re: The Gathering

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:26 pm
by Tabs

"Miss Walker," said Skids, leafing through the documents which were spread over the desk, "I can't fathom this mystery at all--if there is a mystery. Maybe the bloody disappearances are down to a lone psychotic hobo?"
OOC:   I'll play Skids's Investigation Phase tomorrow.  

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Daisy Walker glances up from examining the newspaper articles and gives Skids a skeptical look. "Highly unlikely," she says. "In this incident, two people disappeared at once. This isn't just one man. I think it's an organized group." Her keen eyes suddenly notice something - or rather its absence. "Where did the door go?1"

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 am
by Tabs

Skids swore tamely due to the presence of the librarian: "Jeepers!"

He leapt up from the desk. Stepping across the study, he slapped and knocked on the wall where the door had been. "It's gone!" he said stupidly.

Action 1: play Burglary and spend 1 resource.

Action 2: Investigate Lore 3 Chaos token... see Chat

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 am
by Tabs
Action 2: Investigate Lore 3 and play Opportunist +1 and Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] - auto fail, and my first roll too! :(

Action 3: Investigate Lore 3 and Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] - elder sign! :D +2 and gain 2 resources, shroud is 2 so gain 1 Clue.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 1 Investigation Phase
"There's got to be another way out of here," says Daisy, perplexed. "Dr. Christopher, help us search." She had persuaded Dr. Milan Christopher to join them in their investigation. It doesn't take them long to notice that there is something unusual about the carpet.
OOC,Action 1: Play [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. 4 Resources spent Action 2: Investigate (Intellect 5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] = 6 vs. 2 Shroud): [dice]0[/dice] Success! 1 Clue gained from Study, 1 Resource gained from [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. Action 3: Investigate (Intellect 5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] + 1[Deduction] = 7 vs. 2 Shroud): [dice]1[/dice] Success! 2 Clues gained from Study, 1 Resource gained from [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. Does the Tome have to be played as an Asset for the Elder Sign to allow me to draw an extra card, or is the fact that it's in my hand enough? In any case. we've completed Act 1 with 4 Clues between us! :D

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Re. Daisy's ability and tome, I'm unsure, but I feel she should've paid the resource cost for her to benefit; anyway, the Grim Rule says to choose the worst option. :) **EDIT see below**

I've hidden my HAND behind a spoiler button.  

"Oh, well played!" he said to the big doctor.

Upkeep Phase

Gain 1 card and 1 resource.

Skids Image Daisy Image

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:58 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   EDIT see above. "Control" is defined the Rules Reference and includes an investigator's hand, deck and discards. Therefore, I think it s/be Daisy draws 3 cards. Agree?  

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Wow, that's even better than I'd hoped! If I have three Tomes in my entire deck (including my hand), then yes, I'd draw three cards. I haven't counted them myself. Shouldn't the next Act have kicked in as soon as we got four Clues?

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   I've always immediately advanced the Act, but I think that we should wait until the beginning of the next Investigator Phase; my reason is that some monsters spawn at empty locations and if there is nowhere to go it is discarded instead.  

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Shouldn't the Grim Rule apply, then? If we advance the Act now, the monsters would spawn in the Hallway with us rather than be discarded. Advancing from Act 2 to Act 3 specifically says that the Clues must be spent at the end of the round (i.e., after Upkeep), but not in this case. EDIT: On p.10 of Learn to Play, Advancing the Act says that Clues are spent during any Investigator's turn, so we would have done it before the Upkeep Phase. I suppose we could wait until the start of the next Investigation Phase and then leave any monsters stranded. The only exception is if an Act has an Objective (such as Act 2).

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   I'll post your 3 cards tomorrow. And begin a new round.  

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 am
by Tabs
ImageImageImage

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That Necronomicon is nasty! :shock: Got to get rid of it as soon as I can. Fortunately, my special ability lets me get a free Activate Tome Action during each of my turns. Since I drew this card during my turn, I can use it on the first turn, so I'll do that. I played the first scenario solo again, and this time it was easier now that I knew what to expect and could prepare for it. I won, but it was a near thing. I had the Machete and Beat Cop early on in the game. Paranoia hit me, but I didn't lose much and still had an Emergency Cache. I was able to avoid the Flesh Eater spawning since the Attic wasn't in play yet. The Icy Ghoul spawned in the Cellar while I was up in the Attic, but I took care of it. I found both Clues in the Attic and went down to the Hallway, where the Encounter card that Mythos Phase was Obscuring Fog, which did absolutely no harm. Then I went down to the Cellar and finished off the Icy Ghoul with two swipes of my Machete for an extra VP, and I used my special ability to get one of the Cellar Clues without having to Investigate down there. I lost my Vicious Blow when advancing from Act 1 to 2, but fortunately I kept my Dynamite Blast (that's how I lost in in my first game, not the Crypt Chill). I made sure I had enough Resources when I advanced to Act 3. A Ghoul Minion spawned at the same time the Ghoul Priest appeared, which made things harder, but the Dynamite Blast took care of them. Unfortunately, they both got Attacks of Opportunity, so I took 3 damage and 3 horror, plus another 3 damage from the Dynamite Blast. Fortunately, I was able to finish the Ghoul Priest with my next Machete attack. However, I ended up taking a point of mental trauma anyway for watching my house burn down, but I think it's better in the long run.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 pm
by Tabs
ooc,It certainly helps to know what's round the corner! I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the next scenarios, I found 'em tough going.
1 Doom added to the Agenda [1/3]

Will 2 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-1) vs.4

DISCARD Image

Daisy Image

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It'll probably be some time before I get to the other scenarios in solo play. I'll probably end up playing them here first. I have a huge backlog of games I haven't even played once yet, and I'd like to try some of them. [b]Luca[/b] is awesome! It's a shame you lost him. It's a shame no monsters popped up, as they'd have been discarded anyway when we advance the Act. Still, it could have been worse. There's nothing that can be done about Ancient Evils, but we're still making good time even with 2 Doom tokens.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am
by Tabs
1 doom added to the Agenda [2/3]
ooc,Such as? I had Scythe for Christmas, but I've only admired the minis.
OOC:   Luca is awesome. His card was at the bottom of my deck, so I figured that the scenario would be over long before I reached the card. I have a second copy of Leo de Luca in there somewhere. Also, I may get to reinstate a discard...  
4 Clues spent, Act advanced.

"This way," said Skids, jumping though the doorway and onto the soft dirt in the hallway below. He helped Daisy down. "It smells here--burning... and something awful."

ImageImage

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Investigation Phase
"You may want to consider replacing your housekeeper, Mr. O'Toole," says Daisy, raising an eyebrow. "We'll need to find a way through that barrier. Shall we split up? You could go upstairs, and I could go downstairs? I've got a flashlight."
OOC,Are you allowed to look through your deck to discard a card, or does it have to come from your hand or play area? We don't both have to go the same way, which will cut down on the automatic losses for entering the Cellar and Attic. However, having us two rooms away from each other could be dangerous. In any case, I'm best suited to search the Cellar, but I'd like to get rid of the Necronomicon first. I can use it once as a free Action, and spend an actual Action to finish it. Then I can play my Flashlight and move to the Cellar, so that I can start Investigating next turn. Or, if I wait until next turn to finish off the Necronomicon, I can Investigate once this turn, though there is a greater chance of automatic failure. The Parlor should be in play too, it's just inaccessible for now. I have too many games to list them all. Scythe is one of them. I backed it on Kickstarter, but I haven't even opened my copy yet. I also recently got the expansion. I have played someone else's copy a couple of times, though. I also have Mansions of Madness, both first and second editions, and haven't tried either one yet. The next game on my playlist is Tiny Epic Western, which I've been wanting to try for a while. Other games I'm eager to play are Black Orchestra, a cooperative game where the players conspire to assassinate Hitler and overthrow the Third Reich, and Days of Ire: Budapest 1956, about the Hungarian uprising against the Soviets. And I have expansions for Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror I haven't tried yet. And I have plenty, plenty more. I just haven't had time to play them,

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 am
by Tabs
OOC:   "Control" is defined as all of an investigator's cards...

Okay, Skids will goto the Attic, but first he'll use Burglary.  
ooc,MoM 2nd edition is iffy solo, I think--too many bits to setup. I love the idea of Black Orchestra and Days of Ire. I'm bored with Eldritch Horror, and sold Elder Sign. I'm toying with the idea of playing Arkham Horror again, which I've not played since doing so here--that's 2012.

"Mrs. Hughes has really let things slide," agreed Skids.
Cellar unlocked,[img]https://arkhamdb.com/bundles/cards/01114.jpg[/img]

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm
by Tabs
Action 1: activate Burglary: Investigate. Lore 3 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (tentacles--nuts!) vs. 1

Action 2: move to Attic.

Take 1 horror.

Action 3: Investigate. Lore 3 Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (-1) vs. 1

Gain 1 Clue.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 2 Investigation Phase
Daisy finishes perusing the ancient tome Dr. Chirstopher had discovered in the study. With a shudder, she throws it away. Taking out her flashlight, she leads him down the stairs into the darkened cellar. Even with the light, she still stubs her toe on something. She looks around in alarm at the unusual, chilly surroundings.
OOC,But are you allowed to actually look through your face-down deck for a card to discard? I haven't played Arkham Horror since then too, and I'd like to play it again as well. I never did play with the revised version of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, and I'd like to try combining various expansions with Miskatonic Horror. Then there's my absolutely insane idea of playing with all of the expansions at once. Free Action: Activate Necronomicon. 1 horror removed from Necronomicon. 1 horror taken. Action 1: Activate Necronomicon. 1 horror removed from Necronomicon. 1 horror taken. Necronomicon discarded. Action 2: Play Flashlight, spending 2 Resources. Action 3: Move to Cellar. 1 damage taken.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Let's come to an agreement between ourselves; BGG forums can be a bottomless pit. EDIT: I just read "Crypt Chill mentions discarding a card you control -- you do control all the cards in your hand, deck, discard etc. but Crypt Chill can not apply its effect to any of those areas as they're considered out of play"; so I'll replace Leo and discard Burglary. Can I have the action again that I spent on Burglary?  
ooc,AH board game pbp... maybe. I s'pose I could use Arkham Horror wiki for the cards?

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, that makes sense. If you get rid of Burglary, then you'd do something else with that Action instead. I'm beginning to wonder if [b]Daisy[/b]'s Elder Sign effect really does count cards in my entire deck, including those that aren't visible. Maybe I should have only drawn 1 card (the Necronomicon) instead of 3, and the other two should still be on top of my deck waiting to be drawn next. Arkham Horror pbp would be fun again. I was also thinking of playing solo with my own copy (I have it and all the expansions), but it will probably be ages before I get to it with my backlog.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   What niggles at me is why Crypt Chill doesn't say "discard 1 asset in play"; but maybe one cannot discard a card unless it is in play... Anyway, I still think Daisy's Elder Sign effect stands as we decided--Skids gets +2 and 2 resources, Daisy gets +0 and draws 1 or more cards depending on what's in her library.  

Action: Investigate 3 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-2) vs. 1

Gain 1 Clue.

Upkeep Phase

1 resource and Image--hey!

Daisy: 1 resource and Image

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Nice! You could actually play him next turn with the resources you have. And Manual Dexterity is great for me! I may need to evade something or avoid Grasping Hands.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:04 pm
by Tabs
Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [3/3].

Skids would be down to 3 sanity, so I would choose 1 card at random... Do you disagree?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I definitely agree. You'll need that Sanity later. Let's just hope you don't lose [b]de Luca[/b],

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 pm
by Tabs
Skids discards Unexpected Courage and Daisy discards Perception.

Skids Image

"Rats! Why did it have to be rats?"

Daisy Image

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Mythos Phase
Daisy is horrified to see a swam of rats rushing towards her from one of the many tunnels inexplicably in this cellar.
OOC,That could have been a lot worse. Rats are one of the few enemies we can actually beat, and Perception is probably the one card in my hand I can most afford to lose (though it would have been nice to have at the end for parleying with [b]Lita[/b]). This turn I plan to fight the rats and, if I have any Actions left, use the Flashlight to start finding Clues. I could also play my Medical Texts and then use them for free, but it's more important that I find at least two Clues down here fast before something I can't handle pops up here. Do you want to go first, or should I?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 pm
by Tabs
Investigation Phase

Action 1: Fight. Strength 3 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] [-4] vs. 1

Action 2: Fight. Strength 3 Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] [0] vs. 1

Junk and crap, which was littered around the attic, was thrust into the hole by the ex-con; "It must be the rats' nest," thought Skids. Too late. Several of the vermin had got out and raced to and fro, trying to bite him with wicked-looking rabbit fangs. He performed a hornpipe dance avoiding them, and trod on the back of a real beastie, snapping its spine with a satisfying crack; the others scurried away.

Action 3: Play Leo de Luca, pay 6 resources.

Action 4: Investigate. Lore 3 Chaos token [dice]2[/dice] [tablet -2] vs. 1

Gain 1 Clue [3/4 from the Attic].
OOC:   Good luck, Daisy!  

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Investigation Phase
Daisy shrieks as the rats rush her and start to crawl up her legs. She kicks and stomps them mercilessly, and soon there is nothing left of them but a bloody mess.
OOC,Action 1: Fight Swarm of Rats (Combat 2 vs. Swarm of Rats' Fight 1): [dice]0[/dice] Success! Swam of Rats discarded. 3 cards drawn due to Elder Sign. I'll wait to see what those are before I take my remaining Actions.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 pm
by Tabs
ImageImageImage
OOC:   Cool!  

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 3 Investigation Phase
On a hunch, Daisy examines the ice. "This may be just the stuff to destroy that heat barrier," she says. "All we need is a container to put it in."
OOC,Fast Action: Spend 2 resources to play Working a Hunch. 1 clue gained from Cellar. Action 2: Activate Flashlight. 1 supply spent. Intellect roll(5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] = 6) vs. (4 - 2[Flashlight] = 2 Shroud): [dice]0[/dice] Success (thanks to the Flashlight)! One clue gained. 1 resource gained from [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. Action 3: Play Medical Texts. 2 resources spent. Free Action: Activate Medical Texts. Intellect roll(5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] = 6) vs. 2 Difficulty: [dice]1[/dice] Success! 1 damage healed.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:03 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Amazing phase, that's 5 actions played! One thing, Medical Texts s/be in your investigator's PLAY area.  
Skids: gain 1 resource and Image

Daisy: gain 1 resource and Image

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yeah, that was awesome! I'm lucky I got Working a Hunch. Those are some nice cards for us. They'll help against the Ghoul Priest. With the Knife and Lita Chantler, I' may actually be able to help in the fight. I forgot to move the Medical Texts, but I've done it now.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 pm
by Tabs
Turn 3, Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [1/7]

Skids: Image

Revelation. Agility 4 Chaos [dice]0[/dice] [-1] vs. 3

Daisy: Image
OOC:   When you make the Willpower test I have a +2 skill card.  

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks! I'll use Fearless too, to increase my odds and heal one horror. You should go first this turn and try to get that last Clue in the Attic, then go down to the Hallway. If for some reason you can't get it in four actions, I'll try to find another one in the Cellar before going back upstairs (which takes two actions), but I'd prefer to have a spare action to ready my Knife and ditch my Flashlight.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:05 pm
by Tabs
Turn 3 Action Phase

Action 1: Investigate. Intellect 3 Chaos [dice]0[/dice] [-1] vs. 1

Gain 1 Clue [4/4] and Attic added to our Victory Display.

Action 2 and 3: gain 1 resource.

Action 4: move to the Hallway.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 4 Investigation Phase
Daisy hears a strange gibbering, meeping sound coming from the tunnels. It's hard to tell which one due to the echoes, and it sounds like it's coming from all of them at once. Terrified, she stands frozen in place for a moment. Then she scoops up a double armful of ice and runs upstairs, where she sees that Skids has come down with a barrel from the attic. "Perfect!" she says, dumping the ice in it. "If we throw this at the barrier, that might get rid of it." She drops her flashlight and pulls out a knife.
OOC,I hadn't realized that you needed to clear all clues from a location to score its victory points, but I don't think I should bother getting the other two down here, even though I could with the Flashlight. We've lucked out in the encounters so far, and they're only going to get harder. Let's just get to the endgame as fast as possible. Action 1: wasted Action 2: Move to Hallway Action 3: Play Knife. 1 resource spent. Flashlight discarded. Will roll (3 + 2[Guts] + 1[Fearless] = 6 dice vs. 3): [dice]0[/dice] Success! Frozen in Fear discarded. 1 horror healed.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:17 pm
by Tabs
Guts skill test was successful, draw 1 card.

OOC:   I presume that's correct, Skids's card although it was Daisy's skill test? EDIT: I just read that this is correct on arkhamdb.com  

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:22 pm
by Tabs
Turn 3 Upkeep Phase

Skids gains 1 resource and Image

Daisy gains 1 resource and Image

"I got one too," gloated Skids, performing tricks with the blade which he had perfected in sing sing; he looked shyly at Daisy, "I'd much too much time for this kinda thing."

The Ghoul Priest engages Skids.
OOC:   I'll post the other cards tomorrow.  

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Nice! Playing the Switchblade is a fast action too, so not only can you do it without spending an action, but it also doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. I like mine too. I should probably go first next turn. That way I can move to the Parlor and parley with [b]Lita[/b] so that you get the bonus damage on your turn. I'll also be out of range of any dynamite you decide to throw.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:07 pm
by Tabs

OOC:   FAQ: https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=lita&sort=n ... &decks=all

What to do, what to do for Skids? How about he Evade, then Move to the Parlor, throw Dynamite and gain a resource?  

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sounds good, but don't we need to draw encounter cards for the Mythos Phase first? We may both need to evade.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 am
by Tabs
Turn 4 Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [1/7].

Skids Image

Daisy Image

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The agenda should have two doom now (it had one last turn). It's a good thing I didn't stay in the Cellar looking for those last Clues! We're in pretty good shape now. When you evade on your turn, I'll commit Manual Dexterity towards that test. If your first attempt fails, I'll commit Research Librarian for the second. Will test (3 + 2[Daisy's Tote Bag] = 5 vs. difficulty 4): [dice]0[/dice] Success!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 pm
by Tabs
Place 1 doom on the agenda [2/7]
OOC:   Thanks.  
Turn 5 Investigation Phase

Action 1: Evade. Agility 4 +2[Daisy's Manual Dexterity] Mythos [dice]0[/dice] [skull -1] vs. 4

Success! and Daisy draws Image

Action 2: Move
OOC:   ...oh, shit! Daisy needs move first or she'll get caught in the dynamite explosion, but if so she can't help out with Skids's skill test. :(  

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 5 Investigation Phase
Daisy flees in terror into the parlor when she sees the hideous monstrosity come after them, where she runs into a redheaded woman carrying a lit torch. "You fools!" the stranger cried. "The evil was contained, and you've just set it loose!"

"I'm sorry," says Daisy, "but we were trapped in there with it, and that barrier was blocking our only way out! Please, if we work together, we can defeat it."

The woman's tone lightened. "I'm the one who's sorry. I hadn't realized there was anyone in there when I placed the barrier. My name's Lita Chantler."

"I'm Daisy Walker, and that's Skids O'Toole." She glances worriedly back into the hall.

"What should I do?" asks Dr. Milan.

"Run and get help!"

The doctor took off through the open front door.
OOC,I'd known I'd have to go first anyway because of the Dynamite. Aside from that, the Ghoul Priest would automatically engage me if you left the room while I was still there. I should have just taken my turn last night, but I wasn't thinking. I'd forgotten you had to be in the same room to commit a card to another investigator. In that case, your best bet is to just Move to the Parlor and take the hit, then throw the Dynamite for 3 damage and grab two resources on your turn. It's a Hunter, so it'll follow us there, and then we'll have seven actions to deal with it and hopefully kill it next turn. You'll be able to Backstab it for 4 damage (maybe 5 if you can use it in conjunction with the Switchblade), and my Manual Dexterity will help you with that attack. You can also commit the Switchblade for the Agility if you can't use its ability with Backstab. Then we should be able to finish it. I'll also be able to heal 1 damage you've taken for free with my Medical Texts on my turn. Or, since my next draw is the Old Book of Lore, I can equip that next turn and use it for free to get a card of my choice out of the next three into my hand. Action 1: Move to Parlor Action 2: Parley with [b]Lita Chantler[/b] Intellect roll (5 + 1[[b]Dr. Christopher Milan[/b]] +1[Scrying] = 7 dice vs. 4): [dice]0[/dice] Success! [b]Dr. Chirstopher Milan[/b] discarded. [b]Lita Chantler[/b] enters play under my control. Action 3: Gain 1 resource

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:09 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Skids needs to evade or the Ghoul gets an attack of opportunity and will attack him again during the enemy phase, which will drive him insane. I'm gonna cheat by committing Backstab to his skill test.  
Action 2: move to the Parlor.

Action 3: play Dynamite Blast, Ghoul takes 3 damage [3/10].

Action 4: gain 1 resource.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Don't do that! :o We need Backstab to have any chance of defeating the Ghoul Priest. If you had to commit a card, it should be the Switchblade, but you don't even need to do that, and you'll need to commit the Switchblade when you use Backstab. You have 5 Sanity, so you can get hit twice and still survive.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Ah! but Skids currently only has 4 sanity and 2 resources. So Switchblade?  

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It's better to give up the Switchblade than Backstab, but you don't have to do either. Your investigator post says that you currently have 5 Sanity, not 4. You started with 6, and you took 1 horror for entering the Attic. Did you lose another somewhere? If not, you can take two hits and keep both cards. That way you can commit Switchblade to your Backstab attack along with my Manual Dexterity to maximize your chances. If the Backstab misses, we'll probably have to resign. You have two resources now, but if you move instead of spending an action to evade, you can gain another one. You'll also get a resource during Upkeep, so you can use Backstab next turn no matter what (as long as you get through the Mythos phase without losing it).

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Weird! 5 sanity it is.  
Investigation Phase

Action 1: move [attacked by Ghoul].

Action 2: play Dynamite Blast, Ghoul takes 3 damage [3/10].

Action 3 and 4: gain 2 resources.

Enemy Phase

Ghoul Priest attacks Skids in the Parlor.

Upkeep Phase
OOC:   ...oh. Now I see that the Ghoul follows Skids to the Parlor, therefore Daisy and Lita would be caught in the Dynamite Blast.  

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No, we're fine. The Dynamite Blast went off during your turn, and we were all in the Parlor while the Ghoul Priest was in the Hallway. It only moved to the Parlor afterwards, during the Enemy Phase. If you're thinking about using the second Dynamite Blast, don't worry about it. You probably won't have enough resources to use it anyway, and Backstab causes more damage. You can do 4 damage with it, and I can do 3 damage with the Knife if I manage to hit. If that doesn't work, the second Dynamite Blast could do the job on the following turn if you're lucky enough to get an Emergency Cache or two. Also, don't forget to put Backstab back in your hand.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:04 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   The Ghoul is in Skids's threat area so it moves with him. The only way to leave it is to evade.  

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Oh, I hadn't known that rule. In that case, you'll have to use your first action to evade and commit the Switchblade. Your second action is then to move, your third is to use the Dynamite Blast, and for your fourth action you gain one resource, not two. This means you only get hit once, during the Enemy Phase. You'll only have two resources, but you'll gain a third during the Upkeep Phase and still be able to use Backstab next turn.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:11 pm
by Tabs
Turn 5 Upkeep Phase

Ready Ghoul Priest [in Hallway].

Skids: Image--lovely--and gain 1 resource.

Daisy: Image and gain 1 resource.

Turn 6 Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [3/7].

Skids: Image--not so lovely.

Daisy: Image--place 1 doom on agenda [4/7].

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The Ghoul Priest still hit you once, during the Enemy Phase. Since it's a Hunter, it did follow us into the Parlor, which is exactly where we want it. I think we're in a good position now, especially with Unexpected Courage, and the Ghoul Minion isn't that bad. With [b]Lita[/b], it can be killed in a single hit. Both of us are effectively at Combat 4, so either of us could do it with normal attacks. It may not be necessary, but you have plenty of actions. You need to reserve one to attack the Ghoul Priest with the Backstab, which will do 4 damage (+2 from Backstab, +1 from [b]Lita[/b]). I'll use Manual Dexterity to help you, which will raise your effective Combat to 6, so you'll only miss on a -3, -4, or tentacles. That will knock it down to 3 health as long as you hit. To maximize our chances, you should save Unexpected Courage for my turn. I can use my Knife's stronger attack (discarding it in the process) to do 3 damage on my turn, finishing off the Ghoul Priest as long as I hit. I'll effectively have Combat 5 with that action, and Unexpected Courage will raise that to 7, meaning I'll only fail on a -4 or tentacles.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   The Ghoul Priest exhausted when Skids evaded it, so it cannot hunt until ready (Upkeep Phase). No attack on Skids, but it is still in the Hallway. If Skids kills the Ghoul Minion first action, he could gain 2 resources, then throw his second stick of dynamite?  

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:54 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That won't leave you with enough resources for the Backstab, but you might be able to get them next turn, and automatic damage is awesome. I say go for it! If you take more than one action to kill the Ghoul Minion, though, just collect as many resources as you can after killing it in hopes of using it later (even if it hits us too). If you are able to use the Dynamite Blast, we'll only need 4 more damage, and either of us can do it. I'll play Hyperawareness, move to the Hallway, and collect a resource after your turn. [b]Lita[/b] can survive a hit from the Ghoul Priest. As long as you don't draw an enemy or a card that costs you an action next Mythos phase, next turn you can collect two resources (plus a third you gain from Upkeep), move to the Hallway, and Backstab. If that fails, I can engage, attack with my Knife for 3 damage, and then use Blinding Light for the final point.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:25 pm
by Tabs
Turn 6 Investigation Phase

Action 1: Fight the Ghoul Minion. Strength 3 +1[Lita] Mythos token [dice]0[/dice] [-1] vs. 2

Success! damage 1 +1[Lita], defeated.

Action 2 and 3: gain 1 resource.

Action 4: play Dynamite Blast; Ghoul Priest suffers 3 damage [6/10].

Skids lobbed the dynamite stick into the hallway. The explosion, followed by a howl of pain, were deafening.

"I guess it didn't like that!" he remarked. Daisy and her new chum Lita started for the hallway, Skids held up his hand and wondered: "Are you sure, Miss Walker? It'll come to us..."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Investigation Phase
"We must!" insists Lita, leading the way back into the hallway as she brandishes her torch. "We cannot let it escape! It's almost dead! Follow me, both of you!"

Daisy, inspired by her example, rushes forward as she grips her knife with white knuckles.
OOC,Actually, Hyperawareness doesn't really help me. I'd blow three resources just to get what I'd get for free by committing the card even if one of those tests happens. I'll just collect more resources instead in case I draw something awesome and then move to the Hallway. Action 1: Gain 1 resource Action 2: Gain 1 resource Action 3: Move to Hallway

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm
by Tabs
Turn 6 Enemy Phase

The Ghoul Priest inflicts 2 damage and 2 horror on Lita.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm
by Tabs
Turn 6 Upkeep Phase

Skids: Image and gain 1 resource.

Daisy: Image and gain 1 resource.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 6 Enemy Phase
Lita charges forward, waving her torch. The monster mauls her badly, but she remains standing, full of determination.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:22 pm
by Tabs
Turn 7 Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [4/7].

Skids: Image

Daisy: Image

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

Turn 7 Mythos Phase
Another of the horrifying creatures emerges from the darkness below and creeps up behind Daisy, and she finds hreself surrounded. "Help!" she screams.
OOC,There are 5 Doom tokens now, not 4. Ancient Evils raised it to 4 last turn. We're still in excellent shape, though. There's nothing to stop you from collecting two resources, moving to the Hallway, and attempting to Backstab the Ghoul Priest and finish it, with help from my Manual Dexterity. You won't have a spare action to engage it, but that's okay. Even if you miss (only on a -3, -4, or tentacles), I can survive the 4 damage (barely), and you can survive the Retaliate ability. Alternatively, you can commit Unexpected Courage along with Manual Dexterity and only miss on tentacles, which I think is better. Then you can help me out with Physical Training when I attack if you miss. In the event you miss, I'll need Unexpected Courage or Physical Training from you in order to have a good chance of hitting the Ghoul Priest with the Knife for 3 damage. Then I could use one of your Will cards along with my Old Book of Lore to cast Blinding Light on the Ghoul Priest for the last point to finish it. I may go down in the process if I get a result that causes me damage (or [b]Lita[/b] may have to take the hit and go down instead), but as long as I knock the Ghoul Priest down to 0 or 1 HP, you have a good chance of pulling through without me. Hopefully it won't come to that, however.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:32 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Yes, doom [5/7]. I'll post Skids's actions tomorrow.  

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am
by Tabs
Turn 7 Investigation Phase

Action 1 and 2: gain 1 resource [Skids now has 3].

Action 3: move to the Hallway.

Action 4: play Backstab. Agility 4 +2[Manual Dexterity] Mythos token [dice]0[/dice] [0] vs. 4

Success! Damage 1 +1[Lita] +2[Backstab], Ghoul Priest defeated [10/10].

"Help!" cried the librarian.

Skids raced into the Hallway. Daisy was cornered by a blasphemy and Lita, Lita's wrists were gripped by a masked terror, pinning her down against the stairs; its engorged phallus, covered in rot and tipped by an abscess, wavered between her thighs. Skids had absolutely no compunction in stabbing it between the shoulder blades, Lita, too, jerked her shin and smacked against stretched glands. It reared-up with an orgasmic spasm, then collapsed on the dirt floor.

OOC:   Let's decide together. I'd favour the resolution which you haven't read before (I've read 'em both).  

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Turn 7 Investigation Phase
The creature menacing Daisy pins her against the wall, its claws shredding her clothes. She screams again when it wrenches her legs apart. Then the masked monster falls, and the one gripping Daisy suddenly releases her and flees down the stairs. Weeping profusely, she runs to Skids and throws her arms around him, pressing her face into his shoulder. "Burn this place," she chokes out between sobs. "Burn it to the ground!"
OOC,Nicely done! The resolution I chose when I played was the first one, but I did glance at the other one afterwards. I don't know the consequences of burning the house or not in later scenarios, but I think we'll be much better off in them if we burn it. The house doesn't get burned when you fail to resolve the scenario (which happened the first time I tried it), so that would probably make things harder later.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am
by Tabs
Resolution 1: You nod and allow the red-haired woman to set the walls and floor of your house ablaze. The fire spreads quickly, and you run out the front door to avoid being caught in the inferno. From the sidewalk, you watch as everything you own is consumed by the flames. "Come with me," the woman says. "You must be told of the threat that lurks below. Alone, we are surely doomed... but together, we can stop it."

In your campaign log, record that your house burned to the ground.
The lead investigator earns the Lita Chantler card and may include it in his or her deck. This card does not count toward that investigator's deck size.
The lead investigator suffers 1 mental trauma from watching his or her home become a smoldering ruin.
Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display (remember to add eligible locations to the victory display). Each investigator earns 2 bonus experience as he or she gains insight into the hidden world of the Mythos.
OOC:   2 experience +1[attic] +2[Ghoul Priest] =4 to upgrade our decks.  

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Don't we each get 5 experience points, not 4?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 pm
by Tabs
:)

Skids: ImageImage

Seeker: Encyclopedia [2],Cryptic Research [4], Magnifying Glass [1], Disc of Itzama [2]; Mystic: Blinding Light [2], Mind Wipe [1]. Check them out at arkhamdb.com

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Nice choices! I can just look through the cards in my copy of the game, but I don't have time to do it tonight. This weekend I can go through them, choose my new cards, and decide what gets replaced if they're not straight upgrades. There are also neutral cards available to buy (such as the Elder Sign).

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:58 pm
by Tabs
Off the top of my head there is Elder Sign and Bullet Proof Vest, both cost 4 experience. Oh, one can keep experience for another scenario as well.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
They both cost 3 experience. Those are good for vulnerable characters, but I'll probably take the Disc of Itzamna, Blinding Light (upgrade), and Mind Wipe. I'm just not sure which cards to replace with the ones that aren't upgrades.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am
by Tabs
I've had a change of heart. I'm gonna ditch the upgraded Beat Cop, keeping the 2 experience and aiming to purchase Elder Sign Amulet next scenario... But I am adding Sure Gamble which replaces Skids's original Beat Cop--I figured that it's an ally and so is Lita and de Luca and may be unwanted.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Now that I think about it, I may want to take the Bulletproof Vest along with the Disc.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Image Image

I'm guessing I'm not allowed to remove weaknesses from my deck, so I'll replace one copy of Perception (my Intellect is quite high already) and Research Librarian (not as useful as it might seem).

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:12 pm
by Tabs
I like Disc of Itzama and the Vest; good choices!

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! The Disc is great, but it's less useful in this scenario, as when it banishes an enemy, it is not defeated, and we need to defeat unique Cultists. Still, it can help get rid of other enemies or Cultists that are not unique.