Chapter 2- Rio de Janeiro

In the jungle of Brazil, an ancient legacy best left undisturbed was found. Only the players can save it from falling into the wrong hands.

Moderator: kabukiman

Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Re: Chapter 2- Rio de Janeiro

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,I'm not good with languages but I can sit down with Higgin's diary and try to decipher it.
"I'll be here trying to see if Higgin's last words are the key to decoding his diary."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   To be clear, I'm talking about Crowley trying to translate the conquistador journal from Spanish, not the diary that's in some code. Sorry if that wasn't clear before. Crowley does speak a bit of Spanish.  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

You are all supposed to be in the hotel so, please discuss who will do what.

Crowley decide that he would translate the conquistador diary in Spanish (make 4 rolls of Spanish please).

But Harry and Butch want to do the same thing and only one person need to decipher the diary of Mr Higgins.

Alex need to make 6 rolls of one of the following credit rating, fast talk, intimidate, persuade. The number of successes will give different information.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Leaving his intrepid colleagues to decide on other tasks, Crowley heads out and purchases a pound of the finest tobacco he can find in Rio, a bottle of the best Brazilian rum, and a Spanish-English dictionary (if he can find one). Then he instructs the hotel to deliver fresh coffee to his room every hour but otherwise not to disturb him.

Crowley disappears into a fog of pipe smoke and slightly rum-laced coffee as he reads through the ancient conquistador journal.
Spanish first roll 31%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spanish second roll 31%,[dice]1[/dice]
Spanish third roll 31%,[dice]2[/dice]
Spanish fourth roll 31%,[dice]3[/dice]
OOC:   Can Crowley spend 11 Luck points to make the last roll a success? If he can, he will.  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Alex lights a cigarillo and heads back to the hospital.
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]0[/dice]
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]1[/dice]
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]2[/dice]
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]3[/dice]
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]4[/dice]
Alex Credit Rating: 30,[dice]5[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,In that case, I'll help organize the expedition and look into guides while [b]Butch[/b] tries to decipher the diary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Let me know if I need to roll anything.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Butch: make 4 own language rolls.
Harry: don't need to make any rolls, it will just take 2 days to get the expedition organized.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Diary1,Own Language 70 [dice]0[/dice]
Diary2,Own Language 70 [dice]1[/dice]
Diary3,Own Language 70 [dice]2[/dice]
Diary4,Own Language 70 [dice]3[/dice]
OOC,A normal success, a hard success, an extreme success and a failure. I can spend luck to make the last one but I'd prefer not to unless it's necessary.
Butch will seclude himself with pads of paper and coffee until he's done.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Crowley
The diary was written by Francisco de Toledo in 1560 and narrates several adventures. He was a member of the expedition of Lope de Aguirre who was looking for the El dorado and declared himself independent from the Spanish crown and latter executed for treason. Before Lope being arrested, the Spanish crown offered to his followers a pardon and most men accepted (including Francisco). Francisco had heard some rumors in Lope expedition about a city of gold and gathering some of his companions, decide to go in an expedition. They went by river, and after several months (there is a description of the route) with hostile primitive Indians and diseases a group of 5 men arrive at what was obviously an advanced city, with a inca group; they found indeed treasures (gold) but they found something astonishing and much more precious that they decide to not disturb.
OOC: To read the end, you need to have a last success...

Butch:

The journal details an expedition of four explorers (including Higgins and Dr. Joseph Coleridge) and eight porters who traveled from Manaus deep into the Amazon. While the journal lacks sketches or maps, its descriptions name specific tribes and local landmarks, including an apparent burial chamber called the “Soldier’s Tomb.” It is protected by a people called the Q'ero. This tomb provided a map to the city on the underside of one of the sarcophagus lids. Higgins concludes: “Find the Soldier’s Tomb and you find Paititi.” There is also some hints that the leader of the expedition treated poorly the locals by threatening them for information and supplies and beating them when not satisfied.

Alex:

The Germans are led by a man named Stellenleiter Wolfram, who spent sizeable amounts of money to purchase large quantities of diesel fuel as well as enough food to feed a platoon for months. He also purchased an ostentatious gold crucifix and had it sent to the San Xavier mission, but the head priest there, Father Creus, refused the gift and sent it back unopened. With a little coercion, one shady-looking pawnbroker reveals that Wolfram made several inquiries on the black market about occult books and religious
artifacts, and he purchased several small satanic idols and other materials for use in necromantic rituals.

Harry:
In two days you manage to get a guide, several porters, a steamboat and supplies for several months.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Can Crowley spend the 11 Luck points to convert the last failed Spanish roll to a success?  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: yes he can.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Did the guide know anything about the previous expedition or the Germans, or know of any other guides who might know?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,If Butch has any time left from decrypting Higgin's diary, he will get a map and locate the local landmarks which were described to start planning out the expedition route.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Crowley spends 11 Luck points to convert the last failed Spanish roll to a success.  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: You can all make those questions but it will take extra time. And time urges, but it's your choice.

Harry:
You will have to make a credit roll or psychology roll for those 3 questions. And it will take another 2 days.

Butch:
It will take another day.

Crowley.
It will take another day.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley emerges from his room in a fog of pipe smoke, clutching a rum-laced coffee. He hunts up his colleagues and summarises his translation to date, including the route Francisco described. "Gentlemen, I need another day to complete the translation I'm afraid, but it could be important."
OOC:   Unless the rest of the team votes no, Crowley will keep translating.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I don't think I'll have a good chance of succeeding, but maybe someone with a better chance than I have would like to try while I take over his duties. I think I could plan the expedition route in [b]Butch[/b]'s place.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Alex returns to the hotel looking grim faced. 'Time is of the essence gentlemen. It seems the Germans are in Rio en masse led by one Stellenleiter Wolfram. They're preparing for an expedition, buying fuel and food, and I'm sure we can all guess where they're heading. There are also rumours he has been obtaining items of a more... occult...nature. Rather more puzzlingly he also sent a gift of an ostentatious gold crucifix to Fr Creus at the San Xavier mission, but it was refused.' Father Malone's expression darkens. 'I believe that we need to get a head start on the Germans but we do need to translate the last portion of the book. I have only a little Spanish but some experience of translation so perhaps I could assist you Crowley.'
OOC,Can Alex roll to see if he can help speed up Crowley's translation? If he can I'll roll below - Spanish 11% plus bonus die [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] That's 15, I'll spend the 4 luck if that will significantly speed up the translation and allow us to get away quickly
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Can the translation be finished en route?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Hollow Earth Expedition: Miracle Stone of the Amazon”