Chapter 1- Arkham

In the jungle of Brazil, an ancient legacy best left undisturbed was found. Only the players can save it from falling into the wrong hands.

Moderator: kabukiman

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 1- Arkham

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone follows the others in to the office shaking hands with the tall person on the way in. 'Alex Malone, pleased to meet you'. he says, studying the stranger's face intently.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Armitage is the head librarian; he has a PHD and occasionally gives some lectures in anthropology.

After you all entered, you see that there are chairs for everyone in front of his desk. He waits impatiently that you sit then starts talking:
"Good morning gentleman's. I sure you all curious about the reason of this meeting. I was chosen by the Dean to represent him since he is occupied with other business. But first, let me introduce you to Mr James Hudson a member of the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight, I'm sure you have all heard of that fine organization (you don't understand if he is being sarcastic but Mr Hudson seem to be satisfied). The reason I'm calling you is that one year ago, a expedition was organized by the Order to the amazon river; after a while they seemed to vanish; a week ago, the order received information that one of the members of the expedition had been found. He is now in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in an asylum (He makes a pause then resumes). The order has decide to organize a new expedition, but this time it will consist with members of the University, with one exception They fear that the vanished members... weren't exactly tactful with the locals. It was made a deal, that any significant object of anthropology interest will be keep by the Order to it's museum, and the rest will be our property. Your names have been suggested to such an endeavor because of your skills and past experience. Of course, that you are free to refuse."
Mr Hudson seemed a bit uncomfortable at the reference at the lack of tact.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone tries hard not to show his excitement at the thought of being able to return to the Amazon but he can't suppress a small smile. 'Is there any reason you are being so coy about the purpose of these expeditions or what happened to the last one Professor Armitage?'
OOC,Do I know anything about the Hermetic Order or Mr Hudson? Could I roll Occult?
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Butch listens politely and observes Mr. Hudson as Professor Armitage explains the situation.
"I certainly have no objection to representing the University on this undertaking. Butch begins. "However, I would like to know a bit more about the situation. What was the purpose of the original expedition? How is it that someone ended up in an asylum? And finally, what was done or told to the locals that caused the problem between the first expedition and the locals?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm interested," says Harry, "but I'd also like to know more." He turns to Hudson and offers his hand. "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Hudson. I'm Harry Smith."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crowley has the air of a man mentally changing gears very quickly. "An expedition and a mystery? My two favourite words. Of course I will go."

As employment no longer seems to be in danger, Crowley takes out his pipe and starts filling it, content to listen in silence.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Please make know and occult roles to discover anything about the order. About the expedition, a know roll.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Alex Occult: 70,To know about the order [dice]0[/dice]
Alex Know: 70,To know about the expedition [dice]1[/dice]
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley:
Know - Order 75%,[dice]0[/dice]
Occult - Order 5%,[dice]1[/dice]
Know - Expedition 75%,[dice]2[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone couldn't help but feel that the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight sounded familiar but he just couldn't put his finger on where he had heard the name before.
Alex Know: 70,To know about the order [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   The dice are not looking favourably on Fr Malone today - perhaps he's just too excited to think straight  
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Know Order,Know 70 [dice]0[/dice]
Occult order,Occult 5 [dice]1[/dice]
Know Expedition,Know 70 [dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As an archaeologist, of course Harry has heard all about the expedition, and he also has heard of the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight before.
OOC,Occult roll (10% base skill) about the Order: [dice]0[/dice] Know roll (65% stat) about the Order: [dice]1[/dice] Know roll (65% stat) about the expedition: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Order successful roll,The order is an organization similar to the free masons, the members are respectful members of the society like businessman, bankers, politicians, layers; they have a museum with art objects that are collected from expeditions funded by the order or auctions
Expedition successful roll,The order sent an expedition to find the legendary city of Paititi full of gold and and all kind of riches in the deep amazon, founded by the Incas. A member of the order found some proof of the location and an expedition was sent, but after a while, they vanished without a trace.
Mr Hudson without waiting, starts what seems a speech:
"Our organization have several goals and one of them is the pursue of of a better understanding of the past. A member of our society discovered an old diary from a conquistador with information about the localization of the city. We decide to fund the expedition, since such find would be one of the biggest discoveries of this century. But I do not know what happened in the expedition; maybe they found hostile tribes, or since the leader of the expedition was a very impatient men (he seems a bit embarrassed at this moment)... and could be very harsh... he could have provoked unintentionally their hostility. Anyway, some days ago, we received a message that a member of the expedition, Mr Higgins survived and was found, but mad. and was institutionalized in an asylum. He had a journal with him, but unfortunately it was written in code and nobody was able to decipher it."
He hesitates than show a small, thin leather-wrapped book.
"Here it is; the only way to discover it, is to speak with him. Unfortunately his health is declining, so time urges"

OOC: If you have any questions you can make them; if not, we will advance to the next scene in Brazil.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

I suppose we would get more answers from Mr. Higgins so let us be off."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone says 'well I for one would jump at the chance to be back in Brazil, and on official Miskatonic business at that'.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've long wanted to find the lost Inca city of Paititi," says Harry. "I wouldn't miss this for anything!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley puffs away on his pipe, smoking some mild but pleasantly aromatic blend.

"Ah yes, I recall your order sent an expedition to find the legendary city of Paititi, said to be deep in the Amazon, and supposedly founded by the Incas. I wondered how it went. Pray tell, who was this abrasive expedition leader?"

"And I wonder, may I have a look at this book of code? Maybe it can be cracked in advance?"

"Finally, I recall your order found some proof of the location of the fabled city, and it was that proof that prompted the expedition. Am I right in assuming that proof is the conquistador's diary you mentioned?
May we see that diary?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

"You can keep this journal; if you can convince Mr Higgins to give you the key, you will be able to crack the code. The journal of the conquistador was lost withe expedition, and nobody made a copy, they were afraid that someone could steal it and organize an expedition. The leader of the expedition was a Mr Hobson. He was a businessman and an amateur archaeologist, but I don't know much details about him"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone studies Mr Hudson, wondering if he is holding anything back.
OOC,roll Psychology: 70 [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Have you read the conquistador's journal yourself?" asks Harry. "I realize you don't have it in front of you, but what do you know about its contents?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Hollow Earth Expedition: Miracle Stone of the Amazon”