Chapter 1- Arkham

In the jungle of Brazil, an ancient legacy best left undisturbed was found. Only the players can save it from falling into the wrong hands.

Moderator: kabukiman

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Chapter 1- Arkham

Post by kabukiman »

Arkham University, 9 am, Monday, 4 Juin 1934

It's a hot day in Arkham at the end of the semester. After the crash, the university suffered a huge cut in the budget; now there are rumors that people may actually loose their jobs. So you are all very nervous to be called by Professor Armitage to a meeting. You are waiting outside his office

OOC: You can all have a quick chat before starting the meeting.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 1- Arkham

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Alexander Malone looks over his colleagues, while they are all somewhat younger and more athletic than him he cannot fathom what they all have in common. He frowns. "Well gentlemen, what do you suppose the good professor wants with all of us?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I'm not sure. I thought maybe he needed something fixed but seeing the rest of you here, apparently he has something else in mind." Butch replies. "I wonder if we're getting sacked."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Balthazar Crowley strides in, resplendent in a tailored tweed suit and bow tie, fedora in one hand. He flops into a chair looking peeved, pulls out a pocket watch and checks the time with an aggrieved sigh.

"Well gentlemen, I'm not sure about you but I'm pretty sure I'm here after that incident with the dacoits on the expedition last season. It wasn't my fault, just damnable luck, but there's always someone to complain when you shoot a few of the local population. However sinister their actions."

He looks towards the office. "I've been through this before."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry Smith follows him inside, having heard the last part of the conversation. He has also removed his hat. "If it were that, why would he ask for all of us?" he asks. "I know I wasn't on that expedition with you. No, I think he has need of our expertise."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley is focused on his own miseries. "You discover cities lost to history, and no one even thanks you. You shoot one local though, and you never hear the end of it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, I also find lost cities," says Harry with a wistful grin. "Mainly in South and Central America. The Inca Empire is my specialty. Haven't found where all their treasure houses full of gold are yet, but I'll keep looking. Where have you gone on expeditions?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley pauses from his grumbling. "Hmm, well. Primarily, India, Africa, the Near East, the Far East, and Arabia. I haven't spent enough time in South America. Perhaps the next college to hire me will fund an expedition there? Or you can hire me as a pilot if you're still employed."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I know I've seen some of you around campus but I'm not sure we've all been properly introduced." Butch says. "My name is Arnold Ronson. My friends call me Butch. I'm in the physics department and I like to tinker with engines."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley takes the opportunity to shake hands with Butch and introduce himself to any of the others he hasn't previously met in the staff club etc. "Crowley, Balthazar Crowley. History faculty." He speaks with a western Canadian accent, flavoured with an educated English twang.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Father Malone nods to Butch, Smith, and Crowley, his dark eyes flitting between them. He looks down at his black priest's garb. "Father Alexander Malone, lecturer in Philosophy and Theology. Please, call me Alex" he barks in a low pitched Boston accent. He turns to address Harry Smith. "I have a little experience in South America myself, missionary work mostly until...well until a few years ago. I had been a little concerned my teaching was unsettling the students again but perhaps there is a connection with my time in the Amazon?"
OOC:   ETA picture  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that makes sense, Father," says Harry, extending his hand for a shake. "I'm Harry Smith, archaeologist."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley resumes his earlier fatalistic humour. "Once all the impossible theories have been eliminated, the remaining hypothesis must be the truth. And that hypothesis would be that Miskatonic is embarrassed by my interaction with the dacoits, and is going to deal with the incident in the usual manner."

"The same thing happened at Harvard after the incident with my dinner date's flat mate. An Andaman Islander, no less. The flat mate, not my date." Crowley looks morose.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Pleasure to meet you Dr Smith, but please, just call me Alex, you're not in confession! As it happens, I have been meaning to seek you out by reputation, I have an...interesting piece I acquired in my travels I would value your opinion on. But perhaps another time.'

He turns to Crowley, places his arm around his shoulder, and attempts to steer the conversation away from melancholy. 'Captain Crowley, I can hardly imagine a man of your prodigious talents is worried about such a trifle. I am sure that we would all be absolutely fascinated to hear about your exploits however - a lost city you say?' He gives an apologetic smile to Butch and Smith.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Likewise, Alex," says Harry, "and please, call me Harry. I'd be happy to look at your item whenever you like."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley waves a hand airily, staring at something seen only in his mind. To Alex he replies, "Perhaps later over a glass of red. I should stop my ramblings and focus on our present appointment."

"A tinkerer, a theologian, an archeologist and an historian. We do seem an interesting mix. Sounds like the start of a bad joke."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Suddenly, someone open the door; you don't recognize the person: middle aged, pale, with black hair, near 1,8m. But you hear the familiar voice of Professor Armitage inside the office:
"Please come in".
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Butch nods to the man and heads into the room, looking for a place to sit once inside.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry follows him into the office.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley enters, looking solemn.
OOC:   Presumably Armitage is university president? Do we know what faculty he hailed from? Any pertinent personal history?  

Return to “Hollow Earth Expedition: Miracle Stone of the Amazon”