[IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

Post by jp1885 »

"Hmm, no, nothing unusual. The vicar always says I live most of my life in the past: historian as I am; but I pride myself in being in touch with the rhythm of the village."

Miss Coates leans forward conspiratorially.

"I have the gift you see."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I share your interest in history," says Cynthia, "but I lack the gift. What has it shown you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Your hostess pauses mid-sip.

"Well, nothing unusual... I suppose I could reach out now and see what's to be seen... If you like."

Those present are invited to make a psychology roll.
Pass,Miss Coates seems rather conflicted: partly excited, partly scared.
Hard or extreme pass,As above, but additionally you get the impression that she feels her bluff has been called. It's as if, deep down, she doubts her powers.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would like that," says Cynthia. "I admit I've had doubts about such things in the past, but with what I've seen lately, I have come to start to believe. I think you may have struggled with the same doubts. The fact that you have them indicates your gift is genuine. Those who don't truly have it tend to be overconfident."
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to stand near the perimeter of the room nearby the entrance. He had completely ignored the tea he had been served, perhaps still unsure about the character of dweller of this cottage. The young man's eyebrow raised when the woman mentioned something about having a gift. Just what sort of gift did she believe she had? Henry really hoped this wasn't more of that supernatural nonsense.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori is more comfortable with assessing objects than people, nonethless he attempts to think psycjologically about Miss Coates
Pscyhology 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

"Indeed Mademoiselle, my mother was possessed of certain gifts that proved most valuable in times of need, so I have no doubt that such things can be real, if hard to access...

We would be honoured if you would shar eyour insights with us"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Keeper only,[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Coates closes her eyes and inhales deeply. There follows much muttering and sighing (and, it seems, the occasional opening of an eye to see if you are still watching). You begin to wonder if her reluctance stems from the fact that she's making this all up as she goes along...

...until she suddenly stiffens, eyes flying wide open.

"Heh, thou art wrong to seek zat old fool that defies ze Squire. Leave zis muddy hole and go back to ze city; 'tis nicer for thee there, non?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And who are you?" asks Cynthia, realizing that Miss Coates is not exactly herself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Whoever it is, they seem to be French." I mutter out of the corner of my mouth.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III intently focused upon the woman as her accent noticeably changed. Based on prior experience, the dilettante believed what he was bearing witness to was in all likelihood some sort of trick. That being said, he decided to put that theory to the test.

"Pouvez-vous me comprendre, madame?" he asked.
OOC:   I wager that HJLIII has been around plenty of people who fake being of higher social class, he's probably good at spotting phony accents. Translation: "Can you understand me, madam?"  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Miss Coates glares at you each in turn.

"Who am I? Why, your master! Soon to be ze master of all things!"

"Do not confuse me for a damned Frank! Purer blood once flowed through my veins, and shall again!"

Please roll INT. If you succeed...
INT success,Upon hearing more of the speech, it strikes you that this is an accent that has evolved over a long period of time.
You are also invited to make a history, or hard EDU roll.
Success,Certain phrases and inflections in the speech pattern remind you of the Norman French tongue of old.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

INT=80,[dice]0[/dice]
History=40,[dice]1[/dice]
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

OOC:   Grigori smashes that History roll!! Any bonus info? :)  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Whitehorse wrote:
OOC:   Grigori smashes that History roll!! Any bonus info? :)  
Grigori,Seeing as I'm feeling generous... The rhythm of the speech puts you in mind of certain Norman texts from around the time of the First Crusade. Yet curiously you also identify other aspects from throughout Anglo-Norman history; some idioms hailing from 13th century English.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III realized that the woman correctly identified the language he had spoken in, but he is otherwise unable to decipher her meaning and glanced at the Eton party members for possible clarification. In his mind, it was still entirely possible that this was all a gag.
INT (65),[dice]0[/dice]
History (40),[dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I see that you are a Norman," says Cynthia. "Any relation to William the Conqueror?"
OOC,INT roll (70% stat) about the being possessing [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] History roll (60% skill) about the being possessing [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Miss Coates’ eyes narrow.

“‘tis my wish to warn thee away, not to tell thee my history! Begone! ‘tis your final warning!”

To elicit any further information, I think some kind of interpersonal skill roll is required. Be warned, it will not be easy...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's okay if you're a little shy," says Cynthia. "I'm much the same way myself."
OOC,Charm roll (55% skill) to get the being to open up about itself: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III rolled his eyes. It was clear that the poor sod had suffered some sort of psychic episode. Maybe it was a result of living in this god forsaken village. After all, he too had experienced a strange sort of hallucination the night prior, something that had not occurred at any other point in his life to the young man's recollection. He could only surmise what could happen with prolonged existence in this place. Perhaps the two instances were connected somehow. That said, it was time for them to leave.

"You know, Miss Knight, we really have taken up enough of this woman's time. We should be on our way." he suggested.

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”