[IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

Post by jp1885 »

While Mr. Lewis seems disinclined to answer the questions put to him for the moment, the concierge becomes more talkative when you mention Preedy.

"Oh yes, the Eton party. Welcome to the Green Dragon Hotel. I have your rooms ready."

As you book into the hotel, signing the guest register and whatnot, he continues:

"Dinner is at seven 'til late; breakfast from half-six until nine."

You are handed your keys. Messrs. Lewis, Tereshchenko and Professor Garrett are given the more expensive rooms on the top floor, adjoining each other, while Mr. Pritchard and Miss Knight are allocated somewhat more modest rooms on a lower floor, each the other end of the corridor to the other.

As your baggage is taken to your rooms by a small army of porters, the concierge suddenly remembers something.

"Ah, there was something else! Oh yes, we received this not half an hour ago."

He hands you a calling card, to which is attached a note:

'Messers Harrison & Yem, solicitors, would be honoured if you could attend an evening soiree at the home of Mr. Harrison this evening (directions to be supplied - dress for dinner - to be served at eight pm)."

"I am to send your response by messenger," says the concierge, looking at you expectantly.

OOC: While you decide if you wish to attend, please roll Spot Hidden. If you succeed, please click the spoiler below.
Success,While most of the guests in the foyer go about their business without a second glance in your direction, you do notice a young fellow sitting in the corner of the room, trying to look inconspicuous as her peers over his newspaper at you.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori blinks, twice... Did he see something?
Spot Hidden 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd be delighted to attend," says Cynthia, completely distracted from her surroundings. "I'll just need to change into something more appropriate first."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) in the hotel: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Miss Knight,For a split second, out of the corner of your eye, you are sure you saw a white cloth flapping about in the same unnatural manner as in your dream. As you turn however, you see it is merely a fellow sitting in the corner of the foyer, adjusting his newspaper. The effect is enough to startle you however - please make a SAN check (0/1). OOC: This may seem rather severe, but you did roll a 99...
"Very good Miss. May I know if anyone else wishes to attend?" asks the concierge.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

"Yes, of course I'd be delighted to accept the invitation. Does our host give any indication as to how formal the dinner is to be..? I have a few items in my valise I'd be happy to loan you, Tom, in case you lack evening attire.."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The concierge ponders for a moment.

"Usual evening attire would suffice I imagine."
OOC:   Let us assume that Mr. Tereshchenko and Prof. Garrett will have the correct gentleman's attire, and between them can outfit Mr. Pritchard if he so desires.  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Despite mulling over the recent events for several moments, Henry Joseph Lewis III had been unable to formulate a response to the Russian's query. In truth, the young dilettante himself didn't comprehend just why his uncle saw fit to burden him with such a trivial manner. His response to the man was a quick shake of his head, then he turned his attention to the plain looking young woman.

"Certainly not." he replied, successfully able to hold his tongue before he added that no member of his family lineage would work in such a mundane profession.

As the others mulled over the dinner invitation, Henry became preoccupied with checking over the nature of the accommodations with the concierge.The Harrison matter was of lesser importance to him, presently.

"You're certain this is the finest suite you have?" he asked.
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Knowledge (85),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   It wasn't really my intent for Henry to be so stand-offish with regard to the questions posed to him, but the sudden increase in the posting rate caught me off guard at a busy time. My apologies, there. Knowledge roll is for Harrison & Yem. I presume my character knows them, being local but want to know more before I have him accept the invitation.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The concierge lets out an embarrassed cough.

"Ah. Rest assured your room is one of our finest sir. Considering the short notice of the booking. Also your uncle was most insistent..."
Mr. Lewis,Harrison and Yem are a local law firm. According to the newspapers, they represent the late Squire Barneby against Major Perryman, who is contesting the fellow's will. No doubt your new compatriots know more about this.
OOC:   No worries Zero - just trying to keep the game moving :)  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a relief," says Cynthia to Henry. "I didn't think you were. He's a most unpleasant fellow." She doesn't give what she saw a second thought. She's sure it's just her overactive imagination.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for the apparation: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Secret Keeper rolls - no peeking please,[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Unless there is any other business to attend to, you are shown to your rooms, which are comfortable, if a little modest.
OOC:   If I'm pressing on a little too fast, feel free to retro-post.  
The necessary ablutions and a change of clothes take but a moment and soon you are heading back to the lobby, where the concierge informs you that a cab is waiting outside. As you leave the hotel, the more perceptive among you notice something of a disturbance at the side of the street where the cabs are parked. A horse whinnies nervously, jolting it's carriage as a man, presumably the driver judging by his thick coat and muffler, is being shoved to the ground by a slim if rather rough-looking fellow.

A small group of gawkers do nothing as this fellow runs off, leaving the cabbie to stagger to his feet.
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Wearing his finest clothes possibley including a borrowed jacket, Tom is average height and average trim build it wouldn't be too terrible a fit if not slightly too large.

He is aware and cautious as ever... does he notice.
Spot hidden [dice]0[/dice]

He is too busy trying to face into the background and take in the sights to notice the disturbance. He sticks to the back of the group and follows along listening but not saying all that much
Listen [dice]1[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   No need for a roll to spot/hear the kerfuffle - it's pretty obvious something is happening.  
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori runs to the cabbie.

"Are you all right, what on earth happened?

Then he gestures vigorously at Mr Pritchard...

"Tom... Stop that man!!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cynthia also hurries over to the cabbie, pulling up her skirts so as not to trip over them. She is wearing her best evening gown - also her only evening gown - a flowing green dress which she had had the foresight to pack. "Are you hurt?" she asks. "Who was that man?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

After Henry Joseph Lewis III concluded haggling on the details of his room and the service he expected to receive, he then retired to his assigned room. The young dilettante emerged at seven o'clock in his finest attire which had been expertly pressed by one of the hotel's staff. He donned his top hat and joined the others in the waiting cab. When the vehicle came to a sudden stop and several of the group had disembarked to investigate some sort of event that had transpired in the street. Surely they weren't going to assume the role of the local law enforcement, were they? He craned his neck out the window for a better view.

"Oi, that's a job for the constabulary. We can't afford to dawdle else we'll be late. Our hosts wouldn't look too favorably on that I wager." he said.
Last edited by Zero on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While Mr. Lewis looks on in annoyance and Mr. Pritchard decides on a course of action, the others rush to the cabbie’s aid.

”Oof! Thank you kindly.” He allows himself to be helped up and appears shaken, but unharmed thanks to his thick clothing.

”Did you see that rascal attack me? I’d been dispatched to pick up a fare for the Yem residence with my mate,” he nods towards the cab containing Mr. Lewis. “When up pops that fellow and tells me I’m to drive them in the opposite direction! Well I tells him it’s more than my job’s worth and he has the nerve to offer me money! Well, I says, there’s the matter of my professional pride! We gets to arguing and next thing I know I’m on my back!”
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Tom gives chase immediately, after definitely seeing the scuffle.

He palms into his hand a small baton like club as he runs scanning for danger. His rational mind things he shouldn't be running in a borrowed suit, his active mind, the part that has been on high alert since the mission was given powers his legs forward. He doesn't shout yet, he runs as quietly as he can, if he is seen he will shout to intimidate.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Some random rolls
Dex[dice]0[/dice] 70
Str[dice]1[/dice] 65
something[dice]2[/dice]spot hidden 60

I'm back at home after a few days in London so can reply quickly again  
Last edited by speshul on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

Fisticuffs aren't really Prof Garrett's style - he's happy to let Tom run after the assailant and no doubt mete out an appropriate level of retribution if he catches up with the miscreant. I'll join the others in assisting the unfortunate cabbie.

"Good Lord", I say. "What on Earth was all that kerfuffle about?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome, and thank you," says Cynthia. "That was awfully brave of you. I believe we are your fare. I'm Miss Cynthia Knight." She shows him her invitation. "Did you get a good look at the knave?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Keeper Only,STR [dice]0[/dice]CON [dice]1[/dice]DEX [dice]2[/dice]SIZ = 50 MOV = 7 DB = 0 Speed roll [dice]3[/dice]
OOC:   The chase is on! Mr. Pritchard, please make a CON roll.  

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”