[IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

Post by Whitehorse »

"Gather your wits and think carefully, cabbie. Where was it that the miscreant would have had you take us?"

Grigori looks about as he talks, trying to get some sense of where Tom and the assailant have got to...
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Looking through the thinning collection of gawkers, you see the assailant running down the street.

While Mr. Pritchard gives chase, the cabbie dust himself down as he considers your questions.

"Young bloke he was; not from around here judging by his accent - sounded a bit like them hop-pickers who come down from Birmingham. He didn't want me to take you anywhere specific like, just drive you around a bit and get myself lost. Huh! Lost? Me?"

He puffs himself off with professional pride.

"Now I've never been late for a drop-off, so if you'd be so kind as to get in or join the other fine gentleman in 'tuther cab," he nods towards the cab containing Mr. Lewis, "we'll take you to your destination - without getting lost!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It seems we have a mystery on our hands," says Cynthia, "but if someone was willing to go to such lengths to delay our arrival, the best thing we can do to thwart him is to arrive without further delay." She boards the cab once someone helps her climb aboard. "Come, Watson, the game is afoot!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Tom bellows "Clear the way" and gives chase.
Spoiler:
update to prior action description [dice]1[/dice] Con roll vs 60

[dice]0[/dice] second con roll
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Perhaps due to a surfeit of Church of England sandwiches or the strictures of his borrowed evening suit, Mr. Pritchard is slower off the mark than usual. However he manages to barge his way through the knot of onlookers without incident, maintaining the distance between him and his quarry.
OOC,The man passed his initial CON, keeping his MOV at 7. Speshul failed his, dropping his MOV to 7, thus giving each chap 1 move action per round. I’ll use the 2nd roll as a DEX, thus you avoid the gawkers.
As he raced along the pavement, the others board their carriages (unless they wish to do something else) and are driven towards their destination.
OOC,I’ll have to time this so that I keep up the pace of the chase without leaving the rest of you out. For now, by all means engage in conversation while you are in your cabs. May I ask, who is in which cab?
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

OOC:   I suggest a dice roll for who is in which cab. At least Grigori just gets in the most convenient one.  
"I fear Miss Knight is correct. Make haste cabbie. A extra sovereign if you can get us there 10 minutes early."
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Had we better wait for Tom? He's gone off in pursuit of yon ruffian."
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III whom had appeared largely disinterested in the recent goings on until now, suddenly had an eyebrow raised as a puzzle took shape. The man who accosted the cabbie had been no common miscreant, but instead part of a plot to prevent the Eton party from meeting with Harrison and Yew this evening. The reason why was obvious, it had to do with their investigation into the estate, but how did the man become aware of the group's movement this evening? Had one of the hotel's staff relayed the information or had someone simply been eavesdropping as their conversation with the concierge had occurred. With luck, the cavalier bloke who gave chase would run him down and could then be pressed for an answer.

When another member of the Eton group entered his cab, he said, "Well, well, it sure seems your lot's presence in Hereford is known. Perhaps a bit more caution is in order, wouldn't you agree?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Group luck roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Mention of an extra sovereign spurs the rescued cabbie into action.

"Don't you worry sir, the address is only up Aylestone Hill, just past the railway station - I'll get you there in no time!"

Before the assembled party can debate the matter of Mr. Pritchard further, he whips his horse sharply and is soon away, closely followed by his colleague in the other cab (no doubt similarly anticipating additional recompense).
OOC:   I think I will put Miss Knight and Mr. Tereshchenko in the first cab, while Professor Garrett will join Mr. Lewis in the second.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Meanwhile Mr. Pritchard pounds along the pavement in pursuit of the miscreant, neither gaining or losing ground on the fellow.
The air is still full of drizzle, and in the spots not illuminated by lamp-light, it is difficult to see where the ground is slippery, and where it is not. As the man veers left into an alleyway...
DEX roll,[dice]0[/dice]
...he deftly leaps over such a patch. However, is Mr. Pritchard so fortunate?
OOC:   A DEX roll if you please.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cynthia braces herself for the breakneck ride.
OOC,Yes, that's the cab I would have boarded, as I was already there talking to the cabbie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Tom clear of the onlookers focuses on the chase and closing the gap.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Dex 70
[dice]1[/dice] spare roll
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The drivers urge their cabs along the street, which is mercifully clear of pedestrians. Watching through the carriage windows, you see Mr. Pritchard deftly negotiating a corner before disappearing from view down a dark alleyway to his left.

Even if he and his quarry had continued along the main street however, you would still have lost sight of them as you are rattled along at a brisk pace around a right-hand bend and down another wide thoroughfare. Recognising certain buildings and shop signs, you realise you are being driven back in the direction of the railway station.
Mr. Pritchard,You practically leap over the slippery patch, maintaining the distance between you and the miscreant. Thankfully the alleyway is short, opening out into another street. [spoiler]Keeper rolls - [dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice][/spoiler]Looking ahead, you see him crash into a fellow on a bicycle! As the cyclist, swearing like a trooper, disentangles himself, your quarry lies still; his head bleeding from where it obviously hit the ground.
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

"Oi get back here I want a word with you" His winter scarf has certainly been moved from his face and Tom is very aware he must making an interesting site. His blood is pumping, especially as it getting closer, it's been a long time since he's felt like this, he has dabbled in boxing but with all the facial surgery that's not allowed..

Tom doesn't seem the bike until too late to warn either but shouts out loud enough for anyone to hear "That's man's a theif, he mugged a taxi" The cyclist probably looks terrified at Tom emerging from the shadows.

Assuming neither party has serious injuries. He splits off either his own belt and loops it around the muggers arms around his back assuming he is face down, and then flips him over and checks for wounds. He will treat the cyclists if he is allowed and try to calm him down.

Should the mugger be awake (assuming his is younger than Tom) "Now sonny, why'd you have to do a thing like that, mugging a hardworking fella is downright wrong, Tell me where the money is, oh and where the police station is, and we'll get this all sorted" Using his body to control the situations to stop the mugger from headbutting or otherwise and intimidating the man.

Spoiler:
Tom assumes a mugging or general assault as he doesn't know the full details
[dice]0[/dice] Con 60 for running
[dice]1[/dice] Dex 70 to clear objects
[dice]2[/dice] spot hidden 60 as he glances around for other danger
[dice]3[/dice] Diving tackle to bring him to the grown brawl 60
Spoiler:
New block of rolls narrative above adjust to take into rolls
[dice]4[/dice] Charm or intimidate to calm down the cyclists 20
[dice]5[/dice] first aid to assess the damage on both mugger and cyclists 50
[dice]6[/dice] spot hidden to assess to danger 60
Unless the ruffian is dieing he will ties his hand [dice]7[/dice] Mechanical repair :) 50.... or
[dice]8[/dice] first aid to treat otherwise 50
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Pritchard,[ooc]Ok, looking through all those dice rolls and deciding what's relevant, I see a success on first aid and spot hidden.[/ooc] Thoroughly alarmed by the sudden appearance of the apparition that is you, the cyclist hurriedly picks up his bicycle and backs away, muttering about 'maniacs', 'lunatics' and 'fetching a constable'. He limps away as quickly as possible, leaving you to inspect the miscreant you've been chasing. He is a young man, rather slight in build, but tough, wiry and obviously a working-class fellow. He has a nasty gash to the head, but it doesn't appear very deep and you are able to stem the bleeding with a handkerchief. As you fumble for your belt the fellow groans. On the pavement opposite a small number of people are gathering outside a pub, watching you warily and muttering among themselves. You spot one or two of them breaking off from the group and running off in different directions.
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

"Citizens arrest, this man, just mugged a taxi and then crashed into that poor cyclist, I'm just holding him here until the police arrive" If Tom feels one hasn't been called he will ask"

Tom will study the young man and frisk him to find the stolen money or what ever Tom assumes he took from the Taxi. "You behave and stay sat there and all will be well" Tom will let his jack fall open and show the billy club / black jack with is hung from his braces under his jacket. The intention is to keep the mugger sat on the floor with his arms behind his backs.

"Now why did you do such a silly thing, was it the money?
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Pyschology to read him 10.. (unless ther is a better stat
[dice]1[/dice] Spot hidden to search him 60
[dice]2[/dice] Charm to calm the crowd down 20
[dice]3[/dice] intimidate to get him to talk 20
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

Zero wrote:
When another member of the Eton group entered his cab, he said, "Well, well, it sure seems your lot's presence in Hereford is known. Perhaps a bit more caution is in order, wouldn't you agree?"

Oh yes, I quite agree old chap. Although one can't discount the possibility that someone alerted them prior to our arrival, hmm?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The law firm clearly knew we were coming," says Cynthia, "or they wouldn't have known to invite us. Whoever is responsible for this must have also known. Perhaps someone who works at the firm."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Pritchard
Luck 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
Your words have no effect on the crowd of pub-goers. A handful of rather rough and burly fellows take a step forward, rolling up their sleeves...

"Oi! What've we got 'ere then?"

The crowd parts, or rather is shoved apart, by a broad-shouldered police constable. As he approaches, taking in the tableaux before him, some of the more rougher looking types melt away discretely. He studies you and your captive, who, unconscious or not, is keeping quiet and still.

"Mind telling me why you're sitting on this fellow?" he asks, flipping open his notebook.

Everyone else

The carriage ride is short, taking you past the railway station and up a hill. The road opens up into a broad, tree-lined thoroughfare; clearly one of the more salubrious suburbs of the town, judging by the elegant villas, large gardens and suburban mansions that flank it.

You are driven up the driveway of one such house, alighting at an impressive portico porch. As you pay the cabbies (no doubt making good your promise of an extra bonus, for you are indeed early), the front door opens to reveal a rather elderly butler.

"Ah, the Eton party I presume?" he croaks. "The master of the house is expecting you - please, do come in."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Cynthia, stepping inside and marveling at the lavish surroundings. "Who informed your master that we coming to Hereford?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”