[IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

speshul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

Post by speshul »

Tom will make his way to the party, aware of his dishevelled nature but both proud and ashamed of it.

He will enter the room quietly and introduce himself. Upon hearing the commotion and the plans. "We left most of our extra tools and equipment at the Green Dragon is it on the way?" He things specifically about his lucky war rifle, how he wants it and doesn't ever want to use it equally. Ever practical he thinks on equipment he may need.
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

Whitehorse wrote:
Turning to his companions and host, he speaks loudly to gain attention.

"Mr Harrisson, I most humbly apologise, but I'm afraid we must leave you at once, on a matter of some urgency. I've received word that something most untoward is afoot at Wergyn Church.

Do you think that's wise at this hour? We've not found Tom yet, oh wait, who's this?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If there's no time to lose, we should leave at once!" says Cynthia.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Tereshchenko: thoroughly alarmed by your sudden outburst, Strangward stares at you as if you have gone mad (perhaps, being an excitable foreigner, you have - make a SAN check to find out please. Lose 1 point if you fail).

"Um, I-I'm S-Strangward sir!"

The room suddenly goes silent while the terrified clerk backs away from Mr. Tereshchenko. The other guests turn, eyebrows raised archly.

"What the Dickens are you wittering on about man!? And unhand poor Strangward!" Mr. Harrison demands. "Leave for Wergynstone at this hour? You'll be lucky! And you haven't even eaten yet! I don't know how things are done in your country sir, but it's a rum do when you enter an Englishman's house, rough up a fellow guest and then leave without partaking in your host's hospitality!"

While the old fellow is clearly beside himself at this breach of ettiquette, Mr. Yem, closely followed into the parlour by a dishevelled Mr. Pritchard, appears more mortified than angry.

"Oh what is all this!? Leaving, do I hear? Surely not! Have we done something to offend you?"

Alas, any further attempts at reasonable conversation on your part is drowned out by the commotion, with Mr. Yem fussing around you while Mr. Harrison grumbles loudly about the terrible manners of the modern generation. Add to this the whimpering of Mr. Strangward and general mutterings of 'well really!' and suchlike from the other guests and you begin to feel distinctly embarrased.

You rather get the impression that to leave now, just as dinner is about to be served, would blot your copy book with Hereford's worthies somewhat.

However the choice is yours.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh," says Cynthia, embarrassed. "Well, I certainly wouldn't want to put our hosts out or miss supper." She turns to Grigori. "What have you found out, and how did you learn it? In any case, I doubt I'd be of much help in a confrontation, so it's probably better that I remain here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

SAN = 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Well i've certainly no intention of leaving before dinner's served. Quite apart from the lack of manners it would show to our hosts, I'm famished."
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori grits his teeth in frustration. What can he do? Even his supposed colleagues in this task seem more interested in dinner than O'Kent and his boundaries.

He is not an especially stubborn man. He sees no alternative to apologising to his hosts for the disruption, but he does do his best to Persuade
Persuade 50%,[Spoiler-Button][dice]0[/dice]
Mr Yem that he really does have some sudden and urgent matters to attend to, and could he possibly facilitate matters so that his party is free to leave the meal as soon as possible. Transportation (and shovels) as soon as half-way decent after dessert would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, he will attempt to have a brief private word with each of the party in turn, explaining, whether they believe it or not, that some spirit just possessed Strangward and told him, "The water has gone Russian! Tonight they take the stones! Help me, quickly!"
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Tom is happy to leave immediately, sod proper etiquette.

Tom will listen Grigori, not quite sure what to believe, but prefer action so will try to support him if possible.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And he doesn't remember any of this?" asks Cynthia. "How very odd. I do want to help, but I'm not sure what good I'd be, and our hosts will be offended."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Food is swiftly served, which goes a long way to dissipating any tensions regarding your decision to leave.

Though not perhaps as sophisticated as some of you are used to, it is hearty fare and this, coupled with abundant alcohol, goes a long way towards re-establishing a convivial atmosphere.

Placated, Mr. Yem agrees to send a man to collect anything you wish from the hotel and try to arrange transport to Wergynstone for those of you who wish to depart. This will take an hour or so, giving you a little more time to chew the fat, as it were.

OOC: Perhaps a group luck roll will help things along. Please can someone roll luck with an aim to beat the lowest score of your party?
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III hadn't outwardly shown much concern over the Russian's sudden outburst. However, the young man was worried how it might damage his own reputation should any of the guests at the gathering connect the two of them too closely. His thoughts wandered to an acquaintance in Vienna whom was friendly with the foremost man in the field of psychology and psychotherapy, Sigmund Freud. Apparently there was something troubling the man, and it was most certainly not of the supernatural as he professed When dinner was served, the young dilettante was pleased to move into the dining room and partake in what he suspected would be a fine meal.
Luck (30),[dice]0[/dice]
Psychoanalysis (01%) (lol),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Man, that Professor is one bad luck charm, but we somehow succeeded anyway...  
OOC:   Also, attempting Psychoanalysis on the presumed crazy Russian just for laughs. :D  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, whatever is going on, this is certainly exciting," says Cynthia. "Even if I can't be of any help, I'd certainly like to come along and see for myself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As luck would have it, Mr. Yem's man is able to find a carter heading in the direction of Wergynstone after making some evening deliveries in Hereford.

By the time you've finished your meal and regained your favour with some polite conversation, he arrives at the house, having collected your belongings from the Green Dragon (by all accounts the Conceirge was most puzzled).

Soon you are rattling along, squashed somewhat uncomfortably in an open cart. The drizzle hasn't let up I'm afraid.

OOC: Alas being exposed to the elements necessitates a CON check from each of you. Lose 1 HP if you fail.

The carter does not appear to be the talkative type, save a grunt of thanks as you pay the chap up front.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cynthia endures the weather, a little the worse for wear, but it is worth it for adventure awaits.
OOC,CON roll (50% stat) for the weather: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori pulls his hat down, and looks for any hint of moonlight through the clouds. He has no idea what they will find at Wergynstone, but he is sure of the necessity of going there.
Con = 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III miserably trudged through the cold and the wet. It was plainly apparent this was more than he bargained for when he agreed to observe the Eton group's activities for his uncle, and the young man's mood was clearly suffering as a result. He sullenly watched as the carriage continued through the area, still largely unenlightened on just why any of them were out here at this ungodly hour.

"What exactly are you expecting to find out here?" he asked the Russian.
Con (55),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   -1 HP  
Luck (60),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Well, I was gonna ask to use the Luck roll to see if HJLIII could find a hireling to hold an umbrella for him, but I guess not. lol  
Last edited by Zero on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The carter stops at a road junction, nodding towards an inn that sits, dimly lit, on the left-hand turning.

"That be the road to Wergynstone but I ain't goin' any further toward that bloody place. If you've any sense you'll come with me to Burley Gate - I can put you up in the barn no problem. But, if you're set to stay 'round 'ere, that there's the only inn in the village. You'll get rooms no problem I 'spect - no bugger'll stay in Wergynstone if they can 'elp it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Cynthia. "Where in Wergynstone are the stones found?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The carter shrugs.

"There's stones all over round 'ere miss - fields are full of 'em. Now if you're sure you're stayin', I'll be on me way."

While he helps unload your belongings at least, he does not tarry any further. You watch as his cart disappears into the night.

It's dark, it's raining and you are standing at the side of a narrow country road. The only light comes from the nearby inn. What does the night hold for you? Please proceed to the next chapter and we shall find out.

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”