The Provost’s Office: OOC Chat

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

The Provost’s Office: OOC Chat

Post by jp1885 »

Please post any out of character stuff in this thread.

Here are a few things to get started.

Please try to write regularly and frequently (let’s say at least twice a week to start with).
As Keeper, I will endeavour to respond similarly.
If you can’t write for a lengthy period of time (holidays, illness, real life stuff etc.) then please let me know and we’ll work something out.
If you want to drop out of the game, again please let me know.
Purely to help me develop as a Keeper, I welcome any feedback, positive or negative!

Please make sure you subscribe to each new thread, or regularly check for new forum posts, so that you don’t miss any updates.

I don’t insist on a particular writing style. You can use the past or present tense and write in the first or third person etc.

There’s also no set format, but I recommend highlighting your character’s speech in a different colour so it’s easier to work out what’s been said by whom.
Some people find it useful to highlight any PC and NPC names in bold, but that’s up to you.

Most importantly, I hope you enjoy my scenario!
If you don’t (maybe the plot is going nowhere and it’s getting a bit boring) then that’s my fault as the Keeper. Don’t feel afraid to give me a gentle nudge :)

When you’ve all posted up your characters in the Character Creation thread, we can begin!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Re: The Provost’s Office: OOC Chat

Post by jp1885 »

For help on formatting posts (putting words in bold, italics etc.) see HERE.

Note we'll be using the spoiler button to hide behind-the-scenes stuff like dice rolls.

i.e.
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
To do this, press the 'spoiler-button' button and insert a descriptor followed by a comma.
After the comma, press the 'dice' button and enter what dice you are rolling (usually 1d100).

I'll also be using the spoiler button for private communications, for example if one character sees something the others don't after the spot hidden roll above.

i.e
Dr. Jones,You notice a strange ghostly figure behind the bookshelf...
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ok, we're all pretty much ready - thanks for making the effort folks!

You may notice that I've split up my initial post to bookend your introductions. I feel it flows better that way. I'll post more tomorrow: it'll be a rather large wall of text I'm afraid!
speshul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by speshul »

I imagine Tom as Corporal / SGT. Practical, non nonsense, follows army social etiquette grudgingly but to the letter, but comes from a commoner background. The kind of soldier who interprets an officers orders and actual get it done well. Very useful but probably annoying as he unintentionally shows how incompetent officers and noble classes often are. Not the smartest, most education or the best soldier but he gets stuff done.

His background I imagine an officer has relations to Eton, some how vouched him into the college, perphaps it was his orders who got the squad killed bar Tom, where the medical wing did experimental surgery on him, and he now works there as a driver, bouncer, handyman. Respected in his own way for getting stuff done. I haven't specced out his contact but I imagine not an employee but perhaps a rich leaver or almni with a lot of sway so he has some protection and sway. I tried to fill in the team role and give a different personality type to go with the rest of the group, but yet give him a strong reason to be there.

Etiquette wise do let me know if it's too wrong, not sure how the time period works :D
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

All looks good so far.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I'll crack on after the weekend, so plenty of time if there's anything else you want to add before you get to the library. I'm assuming Tom will be busy packing while the others do whatever research they want to do.
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

OOC:   I'll let this one slide, but please us the built-in dice roller (i.e. the dice button) for future rolls :)  
oops, Sorry Jon. I'm still trying to master the etiquette of online play - will remember that in future.

Is it ok if I put Prof Garrett's speech in green?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

No problem mate, it just keeps everything visible :)

Yep, feel free to use green. You can choose any colour, preferably one my knackered eyesight can make out! :D
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Okay, with that last info dump, we're at a point where your PCs can start interacting with each other and making decisions without me prodding you in a certain direction.

It's also a good point to drop out of the game if you want to, as I can introduce newcomers rather seamlessly at this stage :)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Nice rolls folks!
The only downside is that I now have to collate some imformation to dump on you, which means consulting my notes. These are stored on my works PC, and I'm on leave this week.
Therefore feel free to roleplay your introductions until probably Tuesday (maybe Lewis loses track of time) :)
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

lol - so this is what you do at work!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

:lol: You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nice House of Cards reference! :)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

;)
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

ha! the faceman gets the charm roll! Boom.

Hope that's ok, I string the rolls together and then go and edit my response based on how well they go so it's a mix of intentions and actions, You of course can take over the direction from there.

If he starts talking he may end up going to far and actually upsetting or scaring lewis. This is why he doesn't talk much about the way.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I’ve no problem with making a string of rolls, but I will temper any successful rolls with the number of failures, so be warned.....
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

I'm off to a festival today and will be away from the internet until Monday afternoon. Possibly Professor Garrett's train to Hereford is delayed and he arrives a bit later than the other investigators?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

No problem - we can await your return :)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ok, so a failed library use check but successful persuade and appraise checks from Whitehorse I think?
I’ll wait to see if Mr Handy decides to push his roll before working out what happens next.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Whitehorse, I've edited your post to tidy it up a bit :)
The only thing you did wrong was miss out the comma between the descriptor and the dice tag, so no biggie!

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”