Page 1 of 1

[IC] Chapter 1: Eton

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 am
by jp1885
Eton.jpeg
Eton College, 7th September 1909, 8 a.m.

"…and so I shall deem it most pleasing if you could visit my office, where I can elaborate on this unusual matter further.

Yours most sincerely,

Dr. Aubrey Preedy,
Provost,
Eton College"

Thus ends the letter you have recently received from your old acquaintance Dr. Aubrey Preedy: the current Provost of Eton.

Quite what this ‘matter’ is, the missive does not say, which is intriguing enough, knowing how old Preedy famously dislikes vagueness and mystery, preferring cold facts and logical thinking to ‘nebulous speculation’ as he would put it.

If nothing else, the note prompts you to reflect on your connections with Eton, thoughts and feelings at this present time and perhaps your relationship with the other people who have been addressed.
OOC everyone click on this please,Here’s your chance to write a little introductory passage for your character. Feel free to explore their feelings, maybe have them say something and interact with other PCs and NPCs. There’s no real bearing on the game at this stage other than to get you used to RPGing by forum. Do this via the 'post reply' button below.

Re: [IC] Chapter 1: Eton

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 pm
by LTD1969
Ah yes, the old Alma mater. The place looks just the same. Nice to see some things remain constant in this ever changing modern world of ours. I wonder what the new millenium wil bring....but I digress.

This note of Preedy's is rather a rum do. Not like him to be so vague, if not downright mysterious. Still, one finds oneself at something of a loose end at present. A change of scene from marking undergraduates' essays also wouldn't come amiss. This business of Preedy's might be just the ticket to chase away the cobwebs. A change is as good as a rest eh, what?

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:36 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori threw his opera hat with a thwack to the recesses of his storeroom, aiming ineffectively for the gargoyle that already sported a boater and an array of striped ties, and sat back - holding the envelope to the light to see if it would reveal something of its contents. All he could tell was that Preedy, of all people, had sent him a note. With a sigh, he straightened his back, as if in the presence of his old master, ripped open the envelope and began to read the perfect italianate handwriting.
Well... what to think... of the provost's requeat, which was all the more striking for its uncharacteristic nature. Certainly a visit to Windsor was called for. He looked at his trunk for a moment in contemplation. What should he pack for this time of year? What would aid him in this rather undefined venture..? And who else would he find there, for it seemed likely that he was not the only old-boy Preedy had called upon.
He shrugged. Perhaps this would be interesting. He was certainly not averse to doing the provost a favour or two, if only with an eye to their possible return sometime...

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:33 pm
by speshul
Tom is bit of a fixture around Eton a working class soldier turned driver, no one gives him a second glance, is it because he isn't one of them, or is it is he is powerful ugly. Of course some of the students titter and gossip behind his back. His permanent scowl due to terrible facial scarring from a shrapnel wound in the war seems to quiet them pretty quick, he appears angry and unapproachable constantly.
Quiet and non nonsense he likes to be invisible. The college has been good to him, even helped with experimental facial surgery. Tom is fiercely loyal despite not actually liking most of the people here. He thinks they are stuck up, impractical and often a waste of good air, just like the officers in the way who led many of his men to their death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom is there early waiting outside in the grounds having a cigarette, leaning against a massive oak tree deep in shadow, he watches the world to go buy, keen to observe who may be arriving and size them up. His uniform, age and scars mark him out for those observant.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:29 pm
by bardie
Redacted,Edie enjoys the train immensely and watches as the scenery passes at the rate of knots before her eyes. It is a time to sit in peaceful reflection and organise one's thoughts. Why could Dr Preedy have called upon her? It had been a while since they had any dealings with each other and the curious note, whilst welcome, was completely unexpected. She hadn't realised she'd made such an impression and had assumed they'd not meet again. Still, she was excited to see him and to visit Eton - time had run away with itself and she had had no opportunity to return to the college in a while.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:45 pm
by jp1885
Your interest piqued, notwithstanding your wish to render whatever service you are able, you find yourself being led across the main yard and past the familiar statue of the school’s founder Henry VI by a senior porter.

The yard is ringed on all sides by venerable buildings reflecting the grandeur of the school. Boys of various ages head for their lessons; the younger boys scurrying about in shoals, avoiding the older chaps who, clad in frockcoats and top hats, guffaw as they saunter forth in the surety of their status as the future leaders of the country.

As you approach the heavy doors set between the twin pinnacles of Lupton’s tower the porter bids you wait while he sees if the Provost is in.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:51 am
by jp1885
You are left to your thoughts. Occasionally a pupil or member of staff walks by, some nodding deferentially while other glare disapprovingly at your audacity to be standing at the hallowed portal of the Provost’s office. Thankfully however, these gawpers keep their opinions to themselves and continue about their business.

Eventually the porter returns.

“The Provost will see you now,” he sniffs, before leading you through a series of nondescript passages to your old acquaintance’s lair. He holds the door open for you, nodding curtly before retreating into the corridor.

Dr. Preedy’s office is very much like its incumbent: rather large yet neat, well-organised and somewhat stuffy. It comes as a surprise then when the man himself bustles towards you from behind a cluttered lectern and, seizing each one of you warmly by the hand, bids you sit in the haphazard collection of seats that have been placed in front of his writing desk.

Seating himself, this normally emotionless fellow beams with sheer relief at the sight of your collective presence.

“It’s all too much!” he exclaims, waving a large envelope at you. “It’s the start of a new term and there’s still much to do; and now this!”

He slams a thick envelope down and then, as if startled by the noise, forcibly calms himself down.

“I suppose you’d like to know why I summoned you. Well to be blunt I need your expertise; each of you possesses certain skills that would, I am certain, prove most useful in solving this mystery. And by mystery, I mean this confounded will …”

He jabs the envelope with a podgy finger.

“I just don’t know what to do with it. ‘The last will and testament of Desmond Barneby, squire of Wergyn Hall’. Who is this fellow, who has the effrontery to bequeath me bits of land in such a cavalier manner? I’ve never heard of him before, let alone this ‘Wergyn’ place!”

He hands one of you the envelope.

“Well, what do you think? Will you look into this matter for me?”

Inside the envelope is indeed the last will and testament of one Desmond Barneby, squire of Wergyn Hall of the county of Herefordshire.

Cutting through the legal jargon (courtesy of Barneby’s solicitors: Harrison & Yem, judging by the headed notepaper), the upshot is that the Squire has died recently, leaving the majority of his estate to a distant relative: one Major Stephen Perryman.

However, there is one small, roughly circular parcel of land labelled as ‘O’Kent’s Boundary’, which has been bequeathed, as it states, to ‘the Provost of Eton College: the cleverest man I know’.

‘When I am gone my old friend, only you can put down that which is stirring’, it reads. ‘Go to JOK and see that the ‘walls’ are still strong. I dread to think what would happen if HE stepped across it again.’

“Was this Barneby fellow mad do you think? I suspect the man is referring to my predecessor, Dr. Arthur Sinclair. Some of you may remember old Sinclair – he had some ties to Herefordshire as I recall and had the bad manners to pass away suddenly last year.”

“Obviously Barneby was unaware of this fact and was vague enough in his dashed will so that this ‘O’Kent’s Boundary’ now legally under my care!”

He leans forward.

“I would like you to find out just what the deuce is going on here. Is this plot of land valuable? Would it be of any use to the school? Can we palm it off to someone else if need be?”

He fishes another envelope from a drawer and passes it to you.

“I’ve taken the liberty of purchasing tickets to Hereford – the afternoon train at 3 p.m. – and have also arranged for accommodation at a local hotel. Oh, I’ve included a note of introduction to the Dean of Hereford Cathedral: Wentworth Leigh, or ‘knock-knees’ as we used to call him, too. He’s bound to know more about that particular shire than I.”

“Who or what is O’Kent?”
he continues. “Who was Barneby of Wergyn Hall? Indeed, what the devil is a Wergyn? What does old Sinclair have to do with it all? His papers are in the college library – I’ve told the Head Librarian to expect you.”

He smiles hopefully.

“You’ll help, I’m sure of it – won’t you?”

And with that, he nods to the porter.

“Show them to the library if you please.”
Everyone,This is where your adventure begins! If you want to roll a knowledge check to see what you already know about the things spoken of here (EDU, History, archaeology or anything else you think suitable) please do so now. I need to know the skill you're rolling against and what subject it pertains to.
New items for your inventory,4 rail tickets, train to Hereford departing at 3 p.m: 1 each. Receipt for rooms at the Green Dragon Hotel, Hereford Note of introduction to the Dean of Hereford Cathedral

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:12 pm
by speshul
Tom pauses thoughtfully, he's spent the last few minutes eyeing up his new squad mates, they don't look like an entirely practical bunch. On one hand time away from in the country air could be good away from the establishment, however meeting new people and their judgement is always daunting. His face and nose show severe scarring from the reconstruction surgery and his is missing most of his left ear and has bald patches and scarring throughout his scalp, not that you would know his chauffer's hat is on as often as etiquette allows.

Not one for the library and not entirely trusting others to make valid preparations, Tom speaks up quietly "I'll make preparations and gather supplies, I assume we'll be away for a few days and might need to spend time on the estate, shall I assume the worst sir?"

To his new found colleagues "Gentlemen, I'll join you all in the library shortly" He nods / doffs his cap towards the lady and makes a direct exit and near marches to the stores and his room to collect up various supplies, including food, blankets, basic repair and mechanical equipment in the form of a canvas wrapped tool kit, crowbar, rope, Personally he will bring his army bed roll and blanket and ideally rolled up inside of it his Boer War Henry Rifle. A change of plain outdoor clothing is added on top of the food.

As he packs he sighs and start putting some of it back knowing full well he will be the one carrying it all.

He talks to himself quietly, "I bet it's a run down death trap, held together with incest, bad memories, disapointment and cobwebs, no chance it'll be intact with soft beds with a full wine cellar for the gentlemen and whisky for me, best pack some tools to break in, some for basic repairs. " grabbing his rifle "Maybe I'll get chance to go hunting, hear they have some nice deer in Herefordshire" He pauses to look at his army bed roll, still containing some faded red stains. "Kept me alive and kept me warm" he grabs his college issued car tool kit including various wrenches and spanners "Do they even cars in Herefordshire?" With a shrug he hoisted his bedroll overs his back, his heavy canvas tool bag and a faded military ruck sack containing some food and a bottle of strong whiskey and heads to the library hoping they will be nearly finished. "Got to do everything myself as usual" As he leaves the privacy of his rooming, his neutral face appears, half scowl half glare and he marches in silence heading back to the library.
OOC:   i am not sure on true social etiquette so i'm guessing, if in doubt Tom is trying to be appropriate, if he is being intentionally awkward i will make it clear
Also his APP is 35 hence playing up the scarring his is also standoffish but not rude making him slightly unapproachable. I have also NOT given any points into listen to represent some damage to his hearing.

I assume some of his tools belong to the College as his credit rating isn't that high  

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm
by jp1885
Dr. Preedy looks somewhat alarmed at Tom's inference that there might be difficulties ahead and readily gives his consent.

"Yes, yes indeed Pritchard, by all means gather whatever supplies you deem necessary. Precisely the reason I chose a chap like you to tag along."

He pauses for a moment, knowing the driver's character and deciding whether to say what's on his mind or not.

"Just, ah, remember your station, hm?"
OOC:   Yep that's fine. I've no doubt Tom can lay his hands on whatever he needs, whether from his own possessions or from school stores.  

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:57 pm
by LTD1969
Professor Garrett thinks to himself: Quite a motley crew old Preedy seems to have assembled. I wonder what their various fields of expertise are. That driver chappie looks like he might be useful in a fight and seems the organised type. Military background I gather. Not sure what Preedy wants with the Russian fellow, or myself come to that. Further explanation will no doubt be forthcoming in the libray.

Garrett moves to follow the porter to the library.

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori takes the papers from the provost and examines them closely, trying to divine some further information from them. Despite the provost's surprise at Tom's suggestion that their might be 'difficulties', he though the old Boer War soldier likely had the measure of the enterprise. That capitalised 'HE' that should be walled off, seemed downright ominous.

Then with a furrowed brow, he tried to remember what he could of Arthur Sinclair (EDU roll) [dice]0[/dice] and also whether Wergyn Hall or O'Kent rang any bells (History 40% [dice]1[/dice], Occult 25% [dice]2[/dice] )

As he follows the porter, he gives a little bow in Preedy's direction - 'So happy to be of assistance to you on the matter Aubrey... Perhaps we can talk about my loan of the Hilliard miniature when I return...

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 am
by jp1885
Whitehorse wrote:As he follows the porter, he gives a little bow in Preedy's direction - 'So happy to be of assistance to you on the matter Aubrey... Perhaps we can talk about my loan of the Hilliard miniature when I return...
As you leave Preedy's office, he harrumphs with embarrassment, as if he'd forgotten all about the loan.
Grigori,You do indeed remember [b]Sinclair[/b], who taught arithmetic during your time at Eton and became provost after you left. A singularly bland fellow with no obvious interests, talents or vices, he somehow managed to suck what little joy there was out of the subject as you recall. However if memory serves, there were rumours that he had an interest in the supernatural and would spend the holidays in the countryside, not fishing or playing golf, as he claimed, but digging around ancient sites and such. All rumour and speculation of course, but none the less...

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm
by LTD1969
Garrett will wait until we're assembled in the library before formally introducing himself to his new companions.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am
by jp1885
Eton College Library

While Tom disappears to gather equipment for the trip to the provinces, the rest of you are led to the college library.
The library consists of a number of book-lined, two-storey rooms. The ground floor is crowded with reading desks and chairs, while the uppermost consists of a gantry running around each room, forming a small atrium to the floor below.
Small staircases provide access to these upper floors, whilst movable ladders likewise allow one to reach the higher bookshelves.

As it is still early and most of the students are beginning their lessons, the library is even quieter than it would normally be. Reading lamps have not yet been lit and the pale autumn sunlight from the few windows does little to dissipate the shadows that lurk between the shelves and pillars.

The porter bows, leaving you at a large wooden counter. Standing guard behind this edifice is a small, wiry man of indeterminate age. He stares at you with defiance, as if he were facing you from behind a barricade in revolutionary Paris.

“Yes? What do you want?” he hisses.

You may recognise him as the head librarian, Mr. Lewis: a weasel of a man who enjoys what little power he has over students and staff alike.

“The library is not open yet. Go away!”
OOC:   If you wish to access the library you will have to get past Lewis, accompanied by whatever interpersonal skill roll you deem appropriate (charm, persuade, intimidate or maybe even credit rating). Mr. Garrett, you have spent many an hour researching here and are on reasonable terms with the library staff. Therefore you are allowed a bonus die (i.e. 1d10*10 to roll an extra ‘tens’ die.)  

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 pm
by LTD1969
"Ah Lewis, how absolutely splendid to run into you again after all these years, redoubtable as ever I see. I'm doing a spot of research for the Provost, so if you could see your way to letting an old boy spend a few hours in the library I'd be much obliged."

Attempting to use Persuade skill 50%

Rolled 3 and 1 on the tens dice so will take the 1. Rolled a 6 on the ones dice. Skill roll 16, a success.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 pm
by jp1885
LTD1969 wrote:"Ah Lewis, how absolutely splendid to run into you again after all these years, redoubtable as ever I see. I'm doing a spot of research for the Provost, so if you could see your way to letting an old boy spend a few hours in the library I'd be much obliged."

Attempting to use Persuade skill 50%

Rolled 3 and 1 on the tens dice so will take the 1. Rolled a 6 on the ones dice. Skill roll 16, a success.
OOC:   I'll let this one slide, but please us the built-in dice roller (i.e. the dice button) for future rolls :)  

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 am
by jp1885
"Ah, Professor Garrett, I didn't recognise you for a moment. Yes, the Provost told me to expect you and your..." he eyes Mr. Tereshchenko with evident distaste "...companion."

"If you would care to take a seat," he motions towards a nearby table, "I'll have Dr. Sinclair's papers brought up. Is there anything else you'd like to look at?"

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:11 am
by jp1885
As you ponder on the direction of your research, Sinclair’s papers – all nine boxes of them – are deposited onto the large table around which you sit.

Thankfully someone has seen fit to label them, so perhaps those marked ‘college administration’ can be discounted, leaving a single box marked ‘personal correspondence’.

Opening this box reveals a jumble of letters and journals, all separated into binders and again labelled by category. Clearly Sinclair was very well organised.

Your eye is caught by a binder marked ‘Wergyn’, which contains a number of letters from the late Squire Barneby. It is clear that the two have been friends for some years and maintained a cordial correspondence, on Barneby’s part mainly recounting his hunting and fishing exploits and the day-to-day joys and frustrations of managing a large country estate. One might infer from his replies that Sinclair also vented his frustrations about administrating the college (amusingly, Dr. Preedy is often singled out for particular ire).

Another common feature is a shared interest in folklore. Barneby makes frequent mention of a frequently-consulted book: ‘Memorials of Old Herefordshire’ by Reade. He also writes often about conversations held with a Miss Coates, ‘from the village’. It appears that they often disagreed on certain points, but ‘found ourselves in concurrence about JOK and his lineage.’

Interspersed among these letters are a number of cryptic references, relating to this JOK and the requirement that he maintains ‘all four parts of the wall’.

In early letters Barneby is confident that ‘JOK and I are carrying out the task that we have inherited admirably’ and that ‘the ritual continues and HE is contained.’

However, in more recent letters a note of concern creeps into the text: ‘JOK is ill again and I had to burn the stubble last night. I’m afraid I too am not in the best of health and I am exhausted from the effort.’

‘I cannot rely on my tenants for assistance any more,’ one letter reads. ‘The wall is weakening and HE is turning them subtly against me. For instance I caught one of them trying to divert the water wall last week – something he would never dare do without my permission until now. It took all my powers of persuasion to stop him.'

Barneby’s final letter reads: ‘Oh why did I not sire an heir when I was young? Alas time has crept up on me. I think I must search for HIM while the ritual remains and the wall is strong enough to keep HIM down - curse his Norman soul, if he still has it! He must be destroyed, but oh, how I have scoured St. Wergyn’s time after time and yet cannot find the resting place! Perhaps I should pray to that saint and ask him how it was done!’

In the margins of this passage, Sinclair has written ‘Is he in Pearson’s Lives of Lesser Saints? Speak to Lewis.’

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:17 pm
by speshul
Tom returns to the library and walks to the main door quietly. Seeing Mr Lewis who definitely rates low down on his list of people to spend time around and with his mind full of plans he does his best to avoid him totally and then scowl and walk by.

Stealth at 50% [dice]0[/dice]
Intimidation at 20% [dice]1[/dice]

Once inside he will pause to look around not a room he is often but one which impresses and slighly intimidates him. Assuming he is allow he enjoys the silence for the moment he drops his pack in a quiet corner before making his way deeper in trying to find the others.

Spot hidden at 50% [dice]2[/dice]
Listen at 20% [dice]3[/dice]

Stealth to sneak up to the team quietly 50% [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm
by speshul
OOC:   Ha some awesome rolls! I imagine I got right in fine, snuck over and the managed to knock a stack of books over as I get close :) got to love silly dice based games  

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:33 pm
by jp1885
Tom Pritchard

Evading the rather preoccupied Lewis is child’s play compared to sneaking past Boer pickets during the South African war. You swiftly enter the library while his back is turned as he berates one of his underlings.

Even in the early morning light, finding the others is also easy; sitting as they are in the middle of the first reading room.

You wait a short while until the silence becomes oppressive, reminding you of night-time patrols across the veldt. Becoming uneasy, you skirt around the walls and make your way quietly towards the table. Just as you cross an open doorway, a junior librarian, pushing a trolley of books, comes barrelling through it…
Mr. Pritchard,Please take 1d4 damage from crashing into the trolley
Everyone else

Just as you are about to discuss your findings, you are startled by a loud CRASH!

Jumping out of your skins, you turn quickly to find that Pritchard fellow sprawled on the floor on top of an overturned book trolley and a hapless junior librarian.

Bearing down upon the tangle is an enraged Lewis.

“I knew it! Trouble! You clumsy oafs, wait ‘til the Provost hears ab-" he stops, recognising Mr. Pritchard. “What are you doing here!? You have no permission! Right, that’s it – out! All of you!”

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:07 pm
by LTD1969
I'll have a go at using my Persuade skill to try and mollify the outraged librarian.

"Steady on Lewis old chap, Pritchard's with us - he's helping out with the research Preedy asked us to do. He made an unorthodox entrance I grant you, but you have to make allowance for him having been in the wars." I tap meaningfully at my head.

Persuade skill 50% [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

(ooc: sorry a bit of a cock up with the double roll, 35 is a success, 58 a failure - Jon, happy for you to take whichever one advances the story best).

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:23 pm
by jp1885
Somewhat mollfied, Lewis pauses mid-rant.
OOC:   Somebody make a luck roll please.  

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori looked up from the papers he had begun to lay out for inspection, crossing his fingers that the irate librarian would see the funny side of the incident...
Luck 45%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oof!" cries Cynthia Knight as she is bowled over and lands on her back with Pritchard on top of her and her toppled book trolley. This is not how I wanted to swept off my feet! she thinks. To be honest, she had been daydreaming again, so she has to admit to herself that it might have been partly her fault, but the man truly did seem to have come out of nowhere. Her first thought is for the books, hoping that none of them have been damaged, before she realizes that he might have been hurt. "I'm sorry, are you all right?" she asks, flustered.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 am
by jp1885
Unluckily, some of the books have been damaged in the collision; a fact which appears to send Lewis into apoplexy.

However, as he is about to launch into a tirade about employing women as librarians (and indeed women in general), another lackey approaches and whispers in his ear.

A sly grin spreads across his face.

"It appears I am to be rid of you Miss Knight. The Provost has requested that you assist these 'gentlemen' in their endeavours. You all have one hour, and then I want you out!"

He stalks away, leaving you all to your own devices.
OOC:   Miss Knight, please make a DEX roll. Success means you have avoided any damage from the collision. Otherwise take 1d4 damage.  

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia is badly hurt from the collision. She tries to treat her injuries, but it's too awkward. All she can do is lie back and groan in pain.
OOC,DEX roll (60% stat) to avoid injury: [dice]0[/dice] Damage: [dice]1[/dice] First Aid roll (30% base skill) trying to treat her injury: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:50 pm
by Whitehorse
"Baryshnya... Are you all right young lady!"

Grigori is concerned for MIss Knight, and kneels down to see if he can stem the blood that seems to be welling up...
First Aid 30%,[dice]0[/dice]
"Pritchard! Really... This is too much! Can't you see your haste has injured this poor girl!

You may need to fetch the school nurse to attend to her...."

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia smiles at the handsome Russian gentleman, unsure at first whether or not she's hallucinating him. His hands feel real on her, though, and she rather likes the feeling. "Thank you, sir," she says, still feeling giddy. "I'm hurt, but I'm feeling better now, thanks to you." She extends a hand. "Cynthia Knight. Miss Cynthia Knight."

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm
by speshul
Tom picks himself off the floor and immediately goes the aid of the young lady he sent tumbling. Seeing she has her own first aid in hand, he apologises and leave her too it, attempting to collect up the books in a tidy pile next to the trolley not knowing how they were stored before.

Eventually he will check his injuries, and then pick himself up and head over to join the others. In a quiet voice he says "I apologise, I am used to walking quietly in this place, I'm Tom, Tom Pritchard, driver, handyman and social pariah. I not learned but i'm good at getting stuff, I 've supplies all gathered I think, some tools, food and drink. Snything else I need to get or might have forgetten? , anything I need to know?"

Damage taken [dice]0[/dice]
First aid roll vs 50 [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:32 pm
by speshul
OOC:   If allowed first aid vs Cyhtnia but two attempts have been made already [dice]0[/dice] @50%  
"Here let me have a look at that, saw plenty of scrapes and cuts in the war, may I?" He says this matter of factly and not in a bragging or boastful way. He looks some what embarassed at his own inability to fix his own ailments but healing your own elbows is quiet difficult and that seems to be how he landed, his right hand seems to be slightly jarred and number which may be why he can't operate a bandage right now.

Once introduced he will then excuse himself to find the school nurse for them both, whilst trying to hide the pain he is in.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm
by jp1885
Following such an unconventional and rather undignified introduction, both injured parties have their knocks tended to, either by the gallant Russian or by the no-nonsense school nurse.

Equilibrium thus re-established, the investigators are free to contiune their research.
OOC:   Mr. Pritchard and Miss Knight may both gain 1 HP thanks to these ministrations.  

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"We only have an hour in the library," says Cynthia, "so if I'm to help you gentlemen, I'll need to know what you'd like to research. Fortunately, I know this library like the back of my hand."

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 pm
by LTD1969
"I'm relieved to see you're not badly injured Miss Knight. Professor Henry Garrett at your service. As you say, we only have an hour left to us, so I suggest we proceed straight to business and introduce ourselves properly at a later time. I think I'd be most interested in the book the late Mr Barneby referred to so often: 'Memorials of Old Herefordshire’ by Reade, particularly if it contains any references to a wall, rituals involving fire or anything else supernatural in the area where Barneby lived. Possibly there may be other volumes in the library that might also assist, folklore, local histories etc? Some information on the man himself might not come amiss. Does the library run to a recent copy of 'Who's Who' I wonder?"

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm
by jp1885
Anyone familiar with the library's collection will know that there is indeed a copy of Who's Who in the contemporary section.

Memorials of Old Herefordshire and books of that ilk may be more difficult to find, given the largely theological and scientific nature of the antique works that make up the bulk of the college's collection.

The ease of finding other tomes is, of course, dependent on their nature.
OOC:   The library is a perfect place for a Library Use roll, is it not? Miss Knight, you may have a bonus die owing to your familarity with this seat of learning.  

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 pm
by Whitehorse
"I'm sure there are no hard feelings, Pritchard, and I'm sure both you and Miss Knight will each prove invaluable in our mission.

Given that time is short, perhaps those of us used to scouring library catalogues can divide the work up. I have some interest in religious matters, so I shall take on Pearson’s Lives of Lesser Saints, and I shall look in it for anything of relevance, especially regarding JOK, Wergyn or Herefordshire in general..."

Library Use 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
"I'll also skim through these papers to see if there are any mention of financial transaction,land or inheritance that might provide some clues as to the lay of the land in that direction..."
Accountancy 20%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia soon locates a copy of Memorials of Old Herefordshire. She also looks through the papers, but while ledgers are books, they aren't as interesting as the sort she likes.
OOC,Library Use roll (75% skill) looking for [u]Memorials of Old Herefordshire[/u]: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] Accounting roll (25% skill) about the papers: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am
by LTD1969
"Good show - I'll take a gander at Who's Who, see if it's got an entry for Squire Barneby."

Library Use 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:16 pm
by LTD1969
(OOC: Per our host's invitation on the Provost Office's thread to introduce ourselves)

As we're wandering around the library looking for the relevant books and publications I announce myself thus:

"Professor Henry Garret at your service. Old school chum of Preedy's here at the alma mater. Must say he's done well for himself. A slightly less illustrious career for me, lecturer in History at Barchester University. Not sure why Preedy's invited me to help him out with this conundrum of his, but I'm at a loose end at present and I'm always glad to help out a fellow Etonian - duty calls and all that eh?"

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll help however I can," says Cynthia. "I'm not sure what this conundrum is, but it sounds like we're in for a grand adventure."

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 am
by LTD1969
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'll help however I can," says Cynthia. "I'm not sure what this conundrum is, but it sounds like we're in for a grand adventure."
"I hope it won't turn into anything strenuous, I was rather hoping for a quiet weekend in the country."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am
by jp1885
Such convivial conversation among like-minded individuals makes the task in hand a rather pleasant one. Therefore the requisite information readily comes to light.

Mr. Tereshchenko

You find a brief entry in The Lives of Lesser Saints relating to Saint Wergyn. The book states that this early Christian Welsh saint is reputed to have once captured the Devil by calling on The Almighty to ‘command the elements to form a wall around The Beast’.

Apart from this legend, St. Wergyn’s life seems rather obscure, save that he seems to have been venerated around the Anglo-Welsh Marches, as evidenced by a number of place names, to wit: Wergyn’s Bridge, Wergyn Hall and the village of Wergynstone in Herefordshire; Wergin’s Brook and the hamlet of Wergene in Radnorshire; Wergyn Alley in Monmouth etc.

Miss Knight

Memorials of Old Herefordshire contains a section on the folklore of Herefordshire, written by a Mrs. Leather. This appears to be a collection of stories and superstitions taken from interviews with local Gypsies, hop-pickers and workhouse residents.

Most of them seem to be standard rural fare: the healing of warts, water divining, fertility rites and the like, but there is an intriguing mention of the name Jack O’Kent.

According to Mrs. Leather, there are several legends regarding a ‘cunning man’: a wizard or warlock of some kind. This figure, feared and respected in equal measure, often went by this particular name.

In the tales he crops up in, O’Kent is called upon to put right some supernatural wrong: uncovering changeling babies, removal of curses, laying to rest ghosts and evil spirits etc. Quite how he does these things is not specified, but it is believed by the interviewees that he used 'weird magicks' and so forth.

Prof. Garrett

Who’s Who contains a small and rather unremarkable paragraph on Desmond Barneby, bachelor and squire of Wergyn Hall. He appears to have lived a life typical of the country gentry (farming, hunting, fishing etc.) and was the last direct ancestor of one Barnabas Barneby: progenitor of an influential family that has held most of the land around the village of Wergynstone since early medieval times. This honour was granted to him by persons unknown following the death of the original landowner, one Sir Guy de Lancey.

Frustratingly, none of you can find any financial information among Sinclair’s papers.

The hour is almost up and somewhere among the venerable tomes, Lewis' shrill voice can be heard berating some unfortunate individual. However, with him thus occupied, there may be time to delve a little deeper if you so wish.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"This Jack O'Kent must be the JOK mentioned in the papers you showed me," says Cynthia. "O'Kent's Boundary must refer to him as well. There was a mention of JOK's lineage. Perhaps we can find books that mention the O'Kent family. While it's a legend, many legends have some basis in reality."

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:25 pm
by speshul
Tom has sat quietly most of this time attempting to help but mostly staying out of the way watching the others trying to read them, seeing who is going to be an asset, who needs protecting

Seeing the others need more time, he will observe the good librarian and when he feels time is running out he will wander over and try and charm him "Mr Lewis good sir, I haven't been around the library much, busy keeping this place ticking over and repairing what the students break. I didn't realise quite how many wonderful books were in here. Nothing breaks in here you see, as you do such a fine job, ensuring disclipine. Discpline is such an important thing. I was in Boer war you know, where I got this" Points to face in attempt reinforce point " Do you have any books on the war, maybe I'm in them" He will attempt to charm and confuse Lewis in order to buy the team some more time, know this isn't where his skills line, talking to people isn't a skill he has either and he doesn't know or like this fastidious little man. However being a good sergeant he has lots of experience talking to people who think they are better and know more than him. If it goes well he will start on the war stories, the gorier the better. "that's when Philips lost his eye, popped clean out it did, looked just like a yo yo giggling about like that" also "The screams, you could hear them from the other side of the battle field, still have dreams about them you know"

Library use 20% [dice]0[/dice]
pyschology 10% [dice]1[/dice]
spot hidden 60 [dice]2[/dice]
charm 20% [dice]3[/dice]
Intimidate 20% [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia looks up genealogical records of any O'Kents in Herefordshire.
OOC,Library Use roll (75% skill) researching the O'Kent family: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] Amazingly, I failed.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 am
by LTD1969
Good show, Tom. Distracting Lewis with some blood curdling tales of the Boer War.

I say to Cynthia: "I'm guessing O'Kent's boundary describes the wall put up to encircle whatever it was the Squire was so worried about. His papers also mention a "JOK" being ill. Perhaps the person in question may have made a recovery by the time we arrive in Herefordshire. Would certainly be worth looking him up I think."

To the group generally: "Did anyone see a reference to Squire Barneby's cause of death in the papers old Preedy gave us. Are we sure it was natural causes?"

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:00 am
by jp1885
Mr. Pritchard

Lewis’ eyes widen as you recount such gruesome tales of war. He twitches, not with fear or discomfort, but with excitement.

“How- how did he scream exactly?”
Mr. Pritchard only,It is evident that the unpleasant Mr. Lewis is becoming somewhat stimulated by these gory tales of suffering. Continuing along this path will indeed distract the fellow and buy the others more time, but at the cost of reliving those terrible days of war. To keep talking, please make a SAN roll (0/1d2).
Miss Knight

Managing (just about) not to knock over any more books, your search reveals nothing related to the genealogy of the O’Kent family.

Prof. Garrett

You may have just enough time to scan the papers once more.
Prof. Garrett,Please make a Spot Hidden roll.
Any further research will, alas, depend on how well-disposed Mr. Lewis is.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:31 pm
by LTD1969
The Professor tries to speed read through the papers, searching for something he's sure was mentioned earlier...
Spot Hidden: 45,[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

(OOC - not getting the hang of the BBcode I'm afraid. First attempt I just had "O" everytime I viewed the post. Thought I'd messed it up and tried to re-edit but ended up with a second roll).

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   No problem, you did it right. It always shows up as a 0 (or 1, 2 etc for any subsequent rolls) when you preview or go back to edit the post. Thankfully you passed both rolls :)  

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm
by LTD1969
jp1885 wrote:
OOC:   No problem, you did it right. It always shows up as a 0 (or 1, 2 etc for any subsequent rolls) when you preview or go back to edit the post. Thankfully you passed both rolls :)  
(OOC: Thanks Jon, sorry to be such a Luddite - I think I've got it now though)

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If there is no time for further research, could I push my roll? Perhaps the books I need are right near where [b]Lewis[/b] is, and if I fail again, I'll incur his wrath.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 am
by jp1885
OOC,You may indeed push your roll, but failure will probably result in Lewis throwing everyone out immediately.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 am
by jp1885
Prof. Garrett

You find nothing relating to Barneby's death in Sinclair's official papers, however your you do spot a newspaper clipping crumpled up in the bottom of one of the storage boxes (one assumes it got there when the papers were collected together following Sinclair's death).

It is from the Hereford Times newspaper, dated a few days after Barneby's death. To summarise, it is a short piece detailing how the elderly squire's body was found by one of his tenants, a Mr. Alfred Franklin, near the ruins of St. Wergyn's church. The coroner reports that Barneby died of natural causes, to wit a heart attack brought on by the strenuous walk from Wergyn Hall to the ruined church which, the reporter relates, is not an easy one. It was, however, a trek that the old man made at least once a week.

The article continues with a brief biography of the squire (based, it seems, on his entry in Who's Who), stating that he was well-regarded in the village of Wergynstone. His frequent visits to the old church is remarked upon, reminding older readers of his loud objections some fifty years ago, when the proposed Great Western railway from Hereford to Worcester was mooted to run through the site.

The piece concludes by stating that the old squire's solicitors are in the process of locating any living relatives so that they can properly execute his last will and testament.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 pm
by Whitehorse
OOC:   Sorry for scant posting... I've been busy & travelling, and notifications of new posts do not seem to be appearing in my email... I'm away all next week, but will try to chek in when I can!  
While Tom has the librarian distracted Grigori slides over to the lending records, to see if he can discern traces of Sinclair's own researches here.
Libray Use 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
He also scans the shelves for a choice ancient bible,preferably with apocrypha and lives of the saints...
Appraise 60%,[dice]1[/dice]
"You don't mind if a sign this out do you Lewis..."
Persuade 60%,[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 pm
by Whitehorse
OOC:   Crap, sorry to make such a mess in my last post! There was supposed to be an Appraise 60% die roll in the middle there - to select the best old bible... Trying again!  
Appaise 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 pm
by speshul
Lewis’ eyes widen as you recount such gruesome tales of war. He twitches, not with fear or discomfort, but with excitement.

“How- how did he scream exactly?”

Tom takes a breath and glances past Lewis at the others, they are still frantically grabbing books off shelves and flipping through them, (he had skill fully turned Lewis's back away from the others, always good trick that one. )

Tom continues his recollections, not something he has spoken about in over 10 years, it is horrifying and therapeutic at the same time. He ups the level of gore and embellishes only slightly as he continues "Mr Lewis have you ever heard the sound of a shrapnel the size of your head ripping clean through a mans torso, you could almost count the ribs break as it goes through, there is a silence and then wet sucking sound like a bucket of slop being chucked, that was a lucky one, dead before he hit the floor"

Tom does not talk about himself, his facial scars are obvious, the surgery effective but unslighty, even under his hat the patches of baldness and scaring is obvious. He continues talking almost hoping to send Lewis to the bathroom both to defeat him and to buy the team more time

Sanity roll 60 [dice]0[/dice]
Sanity damage [dice]1[/dice]
Charm or intimidate both 20% [dice]2[/dice]
OOC:   I win right with the first santity roll?  

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:33 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Yep, you rolled lower than your SAN score, so no loss in this case.  

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Tereshchenko's experienced eye picks out a suitable tome. Lewis, irritated that his reverie has been disturbed, waves aside the question as he pulls himself together.

"Yes yes, if you must, but keep it within college grounds: you know the rules! Now hurry up, I can't have you all loitering here when the students arrive!"

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia imagines that she is the sultan's daughter, abducted by the wicked vizier, who is of course Lewis. Having discovered that he plans to force her to marry him and assassinate her father so that he can seize the throne for himself, she now must find proof of his treachery and escape without him noticing. She manages to sneak around him and find his secret diary - or, rather, the book with genealogical records of Herefordshire.
OOC,It's situations like this that pushing is usually effective, where you have a very low chance of failure but fail anyway the first time. I wouldn't have tried it without the bonus die, as 75% is not a good enough chance. Even if I fail, I can still spend Luck to succeed. Pushing is also useful when you're desperate to succeed at a roll at all costs and you don't have enough Luck to spend to make it otherwise. Pushed Library Use roll (75% skill) researching the O'Kent family: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] Success!

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 am
by jp1885
Mr. Tereshchenko

You discover nothing that you don’t already know about St. Wergyn. The saint supposedly prayed to God, who trapped the Devil by commanding the elements to form a wall (whatever that means).

Miss Knight

Creeping past the evil sheikh, you reach the small genealogy section. Here (as you know) you can study the lives and achievements of some of the nation’s greatest families (many of them old Etonians).

However, the O’Kents, if there is indeed such a bloodline, do not feature in any of these august histories.

Lewis is now pointedly looking at his fobwatch and you do have a train to catch...

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose we should get going now," says Cynthia to the others. "There's no mention of anyone named O'Kent in any of the genealogy records."

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:47 pm
by LTD1969
"The book you read Miss Knight, Memorials of Herefordshire suggests that Jack O'Kent may be a nickname or even a kind of honorific for a cunning man figure, possibly out of folklore. His real name, if he has one, could be something else entirely.

I agree it's probably time we caught our train. We can compare notes on our journey. "

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 am
by jp1885
You leave the stuffy confines of the library, perhaps with more questions than answers. At least you are now free of the unsettling presence of the objectionable Lewis.

Collecting any belongings required for the journey takes a short amount of time, but with the help of the college porters you are soon leaving the confines of the school for the short trip to Eton railway station.

Please proceed to the next chapter at your leisure.