Page 1 of 1

[IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm
by jp1885
Wergynstone Village.jpg
Let us assume that, rather than spending the night in a ditch at the side of the road, you at least approach the inn.

It appears to be a modest place, but, as far as you can tell in the dark, large enough to accommodate you. A sign, dripping with rain, proclaims it to be the Knight's Head (although in the dark, you cannot make out the picture above the name).

Having proceeded a little up the road, you can now make out the lights of the village, somewhat further up. It appears equally modest judging by the number of illuminated windows.

As you debate your course of action, it occurs to you that, under your outdoor coats, you are still in your evening wear - most peculiar!

Re: [IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's get inside and out of the rain," says Cynthia. "The innkeeper should have plenty of local knowledge."

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:07 pm
by LTD1969
"Just as well we've eaten, probably a bit late to ask mine host to lay on dinner."

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 am
by Zero

Henry Joseph Lewis III gazed upon the inn with disdain. The indignity he was now subject to was nearly more than the young dilettante could bear. A man of his station would hardly ever foot within such a place, let alone spend the night. This was unacceptable. He was now all but certain that his uncle was having a good laugh back home at his present predicament.

"You must be joking. I can't stay in a place like this...", he said with obvious trepidation.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:47 pm
by LTD1969
"Take heart Mr Lewis, with any luck it'll only be for the one night."

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:52 pm
by jp1885
Perhaps Mr. Lewis is right to show dismay, for the Knight's Head inn is a rather, shall we say, no frills affair.

Walking into the main bar reveals a low ceilinged room with dim lights struggling to make their presence felt through a smokey fug (tobacco smoke acting in alliance with an open fire under a poorly maintained chinmey).

The arrival of such fine personages as yourselves elicits a noticeable lull in the conversation; the few patrons that can be discerned in shadowy corners either sullenly sizing you up or pointedly staring into their ales.

Behind the bar, the landlord at least seems prepared to openly acknowledge your presence with a curt nod as he wipes a greasy rag around a pint glass.

"Gentlemen, lady - misrable night out there eh?
OOC:   Perhaps, being strangers in a strange place, a spot hidden check might be advisable? Let's say a listen roll too, just to be on the safe side.  

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Over the hubbub, Cynthia barely hears something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) in the inn: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (55% skill) in the inn: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 am
by LTD1969
Listen 20% [dice]0[/dice]

Spot Hidden 45% [dice]1[/dice]

I've heard something all right but can't see a blasted thing in all this smoke.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:43 pm
by jp1885
Successful spot hidden,In amongst the gloom, you notice a couple of drinkers slope off into the back bar as you enter the inn. One of them looks rather like the chap you saw accosting the cab driver earlier.
Successful listen,You hear a couple of old men drunkenly reminiscing over their childhood by singing an old counting rhyme thus:- [i]One to to wash the dreams away; two to keep the ghosts at bay; three to burn His-[/i] The landlord's enquiry drowns out the rest, alas.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori shakes himself out of his weary stupor and attempts to take stock of this inn he finds himself entering...
Spot Hidden 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 20%%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 am
by speshul
Tom hangs back taking in the surroundings before following the others in.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice] listen 20
[dice]0[/dice] spot hidden 60

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori leans over and speaks into Pritchard's ear...

"Be careful Tom... That scoundrel who assaulted the cabbie has just slipped into the back bar..."

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to remain noncommittal about this particular establishment by lingering just inside the entrance way. He peered around the room and its patrons with a scornful expression upon his face while he paid little mind of what was being said among his traveling companions.
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (20%),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It certainly is," says Cynthia, unused to being thought of as a lady. "We'd like some rooms for the night, please."

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 pm
by jp1885
The landlord (a sign above the bar declares him to be George Kipps) glances into the back room for a second, before nodding.

"Aye, I reckon the missus could make some rooms ready, if you gents don't mind doubling up."

He disappears through a small door behind the bar into what you assume is a kitchen and returns a moment later.

"Aye, give my Lizzie a minute or two and her'll take you up. D'you wanna drink or summat while her sorts 'em out?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some tea would be lovely, thank you," says Cynthia. "Why is this place called Wergynstone? I gather it's named for St. Wergyn, of course, but are there particular stones here that are associated with him?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori goes to the end of the room nearest to the back bar the cabbie's assailant has moved to. Is the door open? Is it glazed? He listens carefully, and tries to observe the folk in there - without making it too obvious that he is doing so...
Listen 20%,[dice]0[/dice]

Spot HIdden 55%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 pm
by LTD1969
jp1885 wrote:
"Aye, give my Lizzie a minute or two and her'll take you up. D'you wanna drink or summat while her sorts 'em out?"

"A pint of your finest ale please, stout yeoman of the bar."

Turning to the rest of the group. "And what will you all have?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm
by jp1885
A pot of tea, a pint of ale (accompanied by a somewhat withering look from mine host) and whatever else you order is soon served up. Judging by the sniggers of some of the regulars, you suspect you may have been overcharged a little, but the price of the drinks and the accomodation is still very cheap compared to what you're used to paying nearer the capital.

Mr. Kipps considers Miss Knight's question for a moment before answering.

"Aye, ol' St. Wergyn. The old church wuz named after 'im, but it's all ruins now. St. Peter's is the new church; jus' down the road opposite the village green. As for stones, well the fields 'round 'ere are full of 'em, but if it's big 'uns yer after, you'll 'ave to go down to Stony Wood next to the ol' church. Not that the new Squire'll let you anywhere near 'em - very partic'lar about who crosses 'is land he is."

He glances nervously towards the rear bar once again.
Mr. Tereshchenko,Craning your neck to see through the open doorway to the equally smoky rear bar, you see the two men (one of whom is undoubtably the mysterious assailant), sloping hurriedly through a back door and out into the night. The few patrons in said room relax visibly upon their exit.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh?" says Cynthia between sips of tea. "Has anyone tried to go there lately?"

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:36 am
by jp1885
Kipps makes another sidelong glance into the back room and, obviously considering it safe to talk, leans in to whisper.

“I shouldn’t speak ill of the New Squire, but him and his men don’t let anyone onto his land if he can help it. He’s got them fellers down from Brum and they’s patrolling at all hours. No-one’s allowed anywhere near the estate save the domestic staff and ol’ Sam the gamekeeper.

A loud ‘harrumph’ from the bar indicates that someone wishes to be served, causing the landlord to leave you with a cordial nod.

“I s’pect your rooms’ll be ready by the time you’ve finished your drinks. Take your time though - there ain’t much else to do of a night ‘round here.”

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"How are we to get to the stones, if the land is guarded?" Cynthia asks the others. "Perhaps we could ask Sam the gamekeeper. But where might he be found?"

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 pm
by speshul
Tom shadows Grigori trying to look casual, if possible he will sit with his back to the room, torn between hiding his face and keeping a good view, he will try and find somewhere to sit even if it is away slightly from the others. His plan is to observe.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:51 am
by jp1885
As the evening wears on, the atmosphere turns from one of sullen curiosity to that of quiet conviviality. You watch the locals as surreptitiously as they watch you, but to all intents and purposes you are left alone with your refreshments.

Clearly most of the patrons are local labourers of one type or another, for with an early start and a full day’s work on the morrow they do not drink to excess or tarry late. Soon the inn begins to empty, save those who have the leisure to remain.

The fire is warm and the drink is palatable. Will you spend the rest of the evening here or explore elsewhere?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori looks out the window, trying to spy throught the fug whether it is any drier out there.

"I feel a midnight stroll to be in order... Would anyone care to join me?"

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:25 pm
by LTD1969
"I'd be happy to join you for a night time constitutional, and perhaps plan our next course of action away from prying eyes, or indeed ears. I'm not sure we should embark on anything adventurous though until it's daylight."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd be delighted," says Cynthia, "though I don't think we can wait until morning. They're supposed to be coming for the stones tonight."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:49 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III spent the evening at the bar, listening to the others speculate on a wide array of nonsense he knew little about. The young dilettante appeared to be in a dreadful mood. He stared sullenly into his drink, not daring allow his lips to touch the visibly unclean surface of the glass. In spite of his dour mood, he decided to engage those Eton party members whom decided to remain at the bar in some idle conversation.

"More talk of the supernatural? You're likely to find yourselves committed to the county sanitarium if you continue on this fool's errand. What sort of proof have you?" he said in a low undertone.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:28 am
by Whitehorse
"Mr Lewis, I fear you are unlikely to understand, but we each of us were touched by some supernatural entity on our journey here. Snear if you will, but do please take care while you are here. Something malevolent is in this neighbourhood."

With that, Grigori turns away. He borrows a lantern from the innkeeper, enquires as to the direction of the church, pulls his muffler up to his chin, takes his stick in his hand, and steps out into the gloom with his comrades, pleased at least to have some fresh air after the fug of the bar.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 pm
by jp1885
‘Mine Host’ points you up the lane, away from the main road and towards the village, heading across the green. The church, he informs you with a wry smile, is the large building with the steeple on top.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That looks like a good place to start," says Cynthia. "Let's go."

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 pm
by LTD1969
"Ah well, it appears time is against us. I must say I feel rather unprepared for a confrontation with supernatural evil - a night's sleep would have done a power of good. Needs must, it seems".

The professor moves to follow the others up the lane.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 pm
by jp1885
May I ask, is everyone walking out for an evening constitutional, or is anyone remaining in the inn?

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it would have been nice to have a night's sleep," says Cynthia, walking with the others toward the church, "but there's no time for that. At least that cup of tea was quite fortifying."

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III would ordinarily have preferred to retire for the evening at this hour, but not this night. He surmised that the sooner the Eton group got started on this nonsensical task of theirs the sooner they could depart this awful place. The young dilettante longed to be seated in his study by the fireplace, engrossed in the pages of a new written work. He would certainly be giving his uncle a piece of his mind when he saw him again. Blood relationship be damned, he would not have his time wasted in this manner. The man drew the collar up on his overcoat and followed the others as they struck out into the bleak conditions.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 pm
by jp1885
Leaving the fuggy warmth of the Knight's Head Inn is like stepping into a cold grey void, for night has turned the drizzle that has dogged your journey into a damp mist, made translucent by moonlight.

You make your way down the rutted lane that leads from the inn to the centre of the village. Little more than a rough track, it is bordered by small cottages; the inhabitants abed judging by the mean, lightless windows and rough stone walls. There is some light ahead however, roughly where you judge the village green and hence the church to be situated.

Like moths drawn to a flame you head for this, but as you progress, you become aware of a slight scrabbling noise behind the high, crumbling stone wall to your right. It's as if some animal or person is trying to climb up over it.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe there's a dog on the other side of that wall," says Cynthia.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:39 pm
by LTD1969
I turn to the others and whisper: "Should we call out and ask who's there?"

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III made his way towards the lighted structure, careful not to step into one of the muck-filled ruts left by repeated wagon traffic. The haughty young man continued to lament his involvement with this motley group, as such when another opportunity presented itself to lighten his own mood at the expense of one of the others, he took full advantage of it.

He shot a glance in Cynthia's direction, then quipped wryly, "Well it's certainly not one of your specters, their ilk can pass straight through walls, isn't that right?"

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"They aren't my specters, Mr. Lewis," says Cynthia. "I do like a good ghost story, but that doesn't mean I believe in such things. I can tell the difference between fiction and reality." Well, most of the time, she thinks.

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:02 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori takes his life-preserver in one hand, and goes to peer over the wall...

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:16 am
by jp1885
The wall is rather high Mr. Tereshchenko, so a climb roll will be required.

The scrabbling becomes more frantic, seemingly in reaction to your voices. You become aware of a rattled, throaty breathing...

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm
by Whitehorse
Assessing the wall carefully, Grigori thinks it can't be any worse than that of Eton which his used to shimmy over for unauthorized visits to the town...
Climb 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm
by jp1885
Alas, the wall is slippery and wet. While the crumbling brickwork might offer suitable footholds, for the most part they play host to colonies of spongy moss, which seem to frustrate any attempts to gain purchase.

Whatever is on the other side seems, however, to be aware of Mr. Tereshchenko's efforts. The ragged breathing grows heavier and more urgent, as does the increasingly frantic scratching and scrabbling.

There is, what can it be called, a mewling? Grunting? Growling? Perhaps a cattarhal cough or perhaps even a death rattle? It is difficult to tell if the noise comes from a human throat or that of an animal.

Whatever it is, it seems frightfully keen to get to you...

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"The poor beast sounds like it's hurt," says Cynthia. "I certainly can't climb the wall in this evening dress. Surely it must come to an end or have a gate at some point."

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 am
by Zero
Suddenly apprehensive, Henry Joseph Lewis III peered again towards the church in the distance. There was something unnerving about what was transpiring here, and the young man wanted very much to get indoors, away from whatever it was that was opposite that wall. He increased his pace and continued towards the sole lit structure in the township.

"You know, I'm already rather sick of this chill. What do you say we get inside, yeah?" he suggested.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori, somewhat annoyed that his climbing skills were not what he recalled from his childhood, concurs with the suggestion that they move on.

"Actually, given that the message we received was that the stones were being removed from a wall, and that something uncanny might be released, perhaps it would be as well to move on from whatever lies behind this barrier. Let us hurry forth and see what we shall see..."

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm
by jp1885
Perhaps pressing on might be the most desirable option, for whatever paws for you behind the wall redoubles it’s efforts with a savage fury.

The weird sounds apparently emanating from the fiend increase likewise; it’s mewling growls becoming louder, more savage and guttural. A bark? A shout? A scream? Surely no human or animal throat is responsible for such a hideous cacophony (maybe a Natural World roll or some such would answer this question)?

At any rate, whatever clamours behind the wall seems dreadfully keen to get at you; it’s din keeping apace as you as you make your way down the lane. And there, but a few yards ahead of you, there yawns an open aperture in the very wall that separates you from, well, whatever it is...

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:00 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori wastes no more time in readying his walking-stick shotgun. He waits, 10 yards from the opening, determined not to fire on anything unless it crosses through.

What foul beast is there? He cannot think, but it shall not attack them before recieving a volley of shot.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Knowing that she would be useless in a fight, Cynthia keeps well back.
OOC,Natural World roll (10% base skill) about the beast: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 am
by speshul
Tom has been following along lost in though covering the other with his rifle, keeping to one side with a clear line of site and covering the wall climbing attempt. The rifle was kept mostly hidden in rolls of clothing and supplies, and in revealing Tom just calming plops it out and gives it a quick but thorough check to make sure it all works. He ignores any looks of surprise he also draws a bayonent and slips it into his belt.

Upon seeing the opening he will step to the front with his rifle raised.

"Hold here and get behind me, if that things wants through that's where it will come" He will use a commanding voice to convince the others to listen.

He ready's his rifle and will shoot if he sees any clear danger. He considers drawing his bayonet.

"Cynthia could you watch the rear please, just in case you know, they are clever buggers"

He is partially hoping to avoid the young lady seeing any blood shed, let alone anything weirder.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 am
by jp1885
As you pause by the open doorway, a howl of rage (or is it a shout?) tears through the sodden air. The scrabbling and growling intensifies, seemingly right next to the aperture.

OOC: Please may I have an INT roll from you? If you succeed, please read the spoiler below.
INT success,It occurs to you that the terrible noise this creature is making doesn’t seem to have woken anyone from the surrounding houses. No villagers have left their beds to investigate the din...

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:08 pm
by speshul
Tom looks quickly to his wards, "You hear it right the roaring beast noise?"

At their reactions he is pretty confident but after all the weird happenings he is uncertain.

"Strange no on from the pub noticed or mentioned it right"

His gun is still held ready, if 30 second pass will add his bayonent to his rifle turning it into a short spear. Keeping danger an extra three foot away from him.

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] int

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:08 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Pritchard,Seeing as you rolled so well... It also occurs to you that, while the locals may still be fast asleep, surely the cacophony should have at least awoken thier dogs? But the healthy bark of man's best friend is conspicuous by it's absence...

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia keeps an eye out behind them, though she can't help but look in the direction of the noise from time to time.
OOC,INT roll (70% stat) about the beast: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm
by LTD1969
"I think whatever it is we don't want to meet it at close quarters, if at all."

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:29 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III slowed momentarily to listen to the creature's strange vocalizations and also noticed that not a single inhabitant had stirred in response to the sounds. He observed the others in his party as they prepared to confront whatever manner of beast was pursuing them and thought this to be folly. They were far safer indoors. They needed to get to the church.

"What are you lot doing? We should quicken our pace." he said.
Natural World (10%),[dice]0[/dice]
Intelligence (65),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 pm
by jp1885
Ah, please don't count your chickens just yet Mr. Lewis; you have yet to reach the church.

In fact, unless you wish to turn back to the inn, the only way forward (towards the church) is past the gap in the wall...

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 am
by Zero
As you pause by the open doorway, a howl of rage (or is it a shout?) tears through the sodden air.
OOC:   Hmm, I interpreted this as the church doorway. I figured that by then we had already been moving through the town and the only one it could refer to was the church's. :? I'll rewrite it, but I was clearly confused about the walking pace and distance.  

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:33 pm
by jp1885
So how do you wish to proceed lady and gentlemen? Pressing on towards the village green and thence the church will take you past the gap in the wall. Turning back will take you to the inn.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 pm
by speshul
"The local dogs aren't reacting either, humans are one things animals are another" He muses loudly.
OOC:   I am assuming this is a narrow pathway and to get by we will be in grabbing range.  
"Lets hold here a moment, keep it at firing range and maintain the advantage, I don't think we can make it past safetly yet. Everyone OK?"

Tom is still holding the line and will try and keep himself in harms way defending the other. If there is no way to pass safety he will back the group up 10 yards and then wait for around 10 minutes. He doesn't want to admit defeat yet and he also knows turning his back may leave the group exposed.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm all right" says Cynthia. "Let's not wait too long, though. We don't know how much time we have to prevent...whatever. One thing is certain, we cannot turn back now."

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:39 am
by LTD1969
"It seems we have to go past the gap however dangerous it may be."

OOC: I'm guessing it's a bit late for Sneak rolls?

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 am
by jp1885
OOC:   By all means give it a try!  

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:43 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to listen to the others speculate on how best to deal with their present situation. Surely most of them would make it if the beast attacked them as the group proceeded at a run toward the church. A former collegiate track and field runner at Oxford, the youthful dilettante was rather swift of foot, so he liked his chances if it came to that. As a precaution, he withdrew a pistol from beneath his heavy overcoat and set his focus solely upon the gap in the wall.

"I concur with Miss Knight. Let's keep moving." he said.

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:40 pm
by Whitehorse
OOC:   Much apologies for silence, a cessation of reminder emails and over-the-top busyness.... I shall try and catch up with events...  

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:42 pm
by Whitehorse
Roll from wayback....
INT = 80,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:51 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori wonders why they are privy to these fearsome noises and the rest of the village apparently was not...

He throws a rock through the gap at whatever. And presuming nothing leaps out, casts another. Does anything react to provocation? He challenges the entity to make itself known, in Russian and English..

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia does her best not to be seen or heard.
OOC,Stealth roll (60% skill) to remain undetected: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am
by LTD1969
Mr. Handy wrote:
Cynthia does her best not to be seen or heard.
Professer Garret likewise:

Stealth Skill 40% [dice]0[/dice]

Success!

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:07 am
by jp1885
Keeping low and quiet, you are able to approach the gap in the wall without, it seems, attracting the attention of whatever lurks behind to any greater degree.

Meanwhile, covered by those who are suitably armed, stones are tossed in and around the aperture.

As they clatter along the lane and against the brickwork, the unholy snarling an howling increases to manic levels. Surely the beast will leap out to tear you limb from limb at any moment?

One stone skitters along the cobbles before bouncing through the yawning darkness of the open doorway and into the shadows...

...and at the same time the bestial racket stops abruptly...

There is silence.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:26 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori gathers himself, shotgun still in hand, and walks up to the opening. Looking around to see what can be seen...

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia cautiously follows.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:53 pm
by jp1885
The dark yawning aperture, on closer inspection, is merely an open wooden door set in the crumbling wall.

And through this door...

...is a modest kitchen garden, illuminated a little by a dim light flickering in a window of the adjacent cottage.

And that is it. There is no crazed maniac, no slathering beast, no hideous monster.

If you hadn't all experienced the same thing, you'd be forgiven for doubting your senses, if not your sanity.

Speaking of which, a SAN check (1/1d4) each please.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 pm
by speshul
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]Sanity 60
[dice]2[/dice]
Spooked by all of this, Tom will move to the front of the team again and cover the front. He is silent during this time taking all of it in.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:08 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III looked on incredulously for several moments, then reached up with his empty hand and clutched at his long locks of hair, laughed shrilly, then broke off into a run towards the church. He had to get to sanctuary.
Sanity (65),[dice]0[/dice]
Sanity Loss (1d4),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

I must have daydreamed it, like I always do, thinks Cynthia. But wait, the others heard it too! Perhaps the power of suggestion or...something...
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for realizing that there was never anything here: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori rubs his forehead, as if trying to massage some sense into his brain...
SAN=49,[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:57 pm
by Whitehorse
His face clenches, as the insanity of it strikes him...
San loss,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:58 pm
by Whitehorse
OOC:   eh, not quite that much san... trying again!  
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 pm
by LTD1969
Professor Garrett's SAN: 60 [dice]0[/dice]

OOC Phew! A close run thing.

The professor shudders briefly.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 pm
by jp1885
Putting the haunting noises out of your troubled minds, you press on through the gloom. The lane opens out onto what you assume is the village green - currently an empty white void through which patches of darkness swirl as nocturnal air disturbs the mist.

Somewhere ahead of you must be the church, for a muffled bell intones the hour - ten by your reckoning, though the peals seem to merge into a single drawn-out dirge.
Keeper only,[dice]0[/dice]
May I inquire as to how you wish to proceed?

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:01 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori scans the gloom of the village green for anything of interest
Spot HIdden55%,[dice]0[/dice]
If he sees nothing remarkable, he'll press on to the church gate.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia follows, curiosity outweighing caution.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:22 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Lewis,Your idle life of privilege has left you ill-prepared for the terror that has suddenly struck you. Unbenknownst to the others, you rush off towards the solid dependable sound of church bells, muffled though they are. Please make a DEX roll.
Everyone else,It is but a matter of seconds before you realise that [b]Mr. Lewis[/b] is no longer with you. On reflection, perhaps that wail you heard was not part of the hallucination, but the panicked exclaimation of your lofty companion. Ahead of you, dark shapes waver through the drizzle, perhaps one of them is your erstwhile comrade? Then again, perhaps not...

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"We must proceed, but quietly," whispers Cynthia. "At least the darkness will hide us." When the others are ready to head toward the figures, she tiptoes forward.
OOC,Stealth roll (60% skill) approaching the figures: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:55 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori, confused by Lewis's disappearance, hopes that he is merely ahead of them in the gloom.

He feels the only honorable thing is to keep pace with Miss Knight, though he is not so stealthy as she...
Stealth 20%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:12 pm
by LTD1969
I follow after Cynthia and Grigori

Stealth skill 40 [dice]0[/dice]

Although a little ungainly, I am at least quiet.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III continued his rapid pace through the shadow-darkened streets, narrowly avoiding several hazards along the way. He glanced back only for an instant to see if he was still alone, never breaking stride. The dilettante was surprisingly athletic in spite of his outward appearance.
Dex (75),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   So that was a little too close... :lol:  

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Lewis,As you run across the village green you almost slip on the wet grass, but just about manage to keep your balance. After skidding a short distance, you stop at a large stone wall. Taking a few seconds to reorient yourself, you realise that you are standing in front of the wall of the churchyard, for that noble edifice is just about visible a few yards away through the gloom. As you approach, you notice a small light bobbing around through the stained-glass windows.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:59 pm
by jp1885
Everyone except Mr. Lewis (who will read the previous post),While Mr. Lewis is still nowhere to be seen, you make it across the green without incident (despite a certain member of your party treading on a brittle branch along the way) and arrive at the churchyard wall. Following said wall, you find the lich gate that grants entrance to the churchyard. A gravel path winds its way through mouldering gravestones towards the church, the steeple of which can be seen through the misty gloom. As for the dark shapes that have dogged your rain-sodden footsteps; well they are, alas, still there, flitting in and out of the periphery of your vision. No doubt, given recent events, they are nothing more than gaps in the mist, rendered sinister by your troubled imaginat- there! Did you see? A shape... or a shroud? Flapping among the tombstones! Just a few yards in front of you it twists and turns, gliding, seemingly towards you...
Miss Knight only please,Startled, you blink. Suddenly the apparition is nowhere to be seen. All is just as it seems: a dark and soggy evening stroll through an unremarkable village churchyard.

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia blinks. "There's nothing really there," she says. "It's just like back at the wall. It must just be my overactive imagination."

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:52 pm
by LTD1969
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Cynthia blinks. "There's nothing really there," she says. "It's just like back at the wall. It must just be my overactive imagination."

"I beg your pardon Miss Knight, what's that?"

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 pm
by speshul
Tom will scan for danger as he moves, his gun held ready but easy.

Seeing part of his group leaves causes him to pause for the moment, but with he must protect those from Eton and the lady first. He doesn't see much but does his best to lead the way protecting as he goes.

"Lets keep moving , stay close all. All you ok m'lady?"
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Spot hidden

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:44 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Tereshchenko,Miss Knight is clearly mistaken. The strange figure can still be seen through the mist, flapping around the graves. In fact... yes! There's another one, just to your left! You can just make it out, on or maybe even slightly above a mouldering tomb!
Mr. Pritchard,Miss Knight is clearly mistaken. The strange figure can still be seen through the mist, flapping around the graves...
Prof. Garrett,Miss Knight is clearly mistaken. The strange figure can still be seen through the mist, flapping around the graves. In fact... yes! There's another one, just to your right! You can just make it out through the bare branches of an old yew tree.
Miss Knight,If you wish you may try a psychology roll.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, I'm fine," says Cynthia. "Those shapes I thought I saw in the distance are nothing at all. It's just like when we thought there was a horrid beast on the other side of the wall, yet nothing was there. I say we should proceed."
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about the others: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:26 pm
by jp1885
Miss Knight,In the murk it is difficult to read your fellow companions.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 pm
by Whitehorse
"What are those damn things!"

A rattled Grigori steps to the left, striking at the shadowy forms with his shotgun-cane.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Relax, there's nothing there," insists Cynthia.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:28 pm
by LTD1969

"Relax, there's nothing there," insists Cynthia.
"Yes there is - look over there by the graves, and by that tree - another one!"

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Look, I'll prove there's nothing there," says Cynthia. She walks over to the indicated tree.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:07 pm
by jp1885
If there was anything lurking around the tree, it is not there any more.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"See?" says Cynthia. "Nothing. We're wasting time. If we're going to protect the stones before it's too late, we must go onward."

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:32 pm
by Whitehorse
"Thank you for your calmness Miss Knight."

Something is either present that only some of us can see; or something is affecting the perceptions of some members of the party... I do not like either option much... Let us get to this blessed church without further distraction."

Grigori considers his small kowledge of the occult. What supernatural or folkloric entity might provioke such varying responses from a party?
Occult,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   and that would be a fail... :)  

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:19 am
by LTD1969
"Some kind of illusion perhaps? No matter. I agree with Mr Tereschenko that we should press on to the church."

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, Mr. Tereschenko," says Cynthia, following him to the church.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III glanced about at his immediate surroundings for a moment, then hurried up towards the entrance to the church. He manically rapped his fist against the door with the intent of attracting the attention of the occupant he had noticed a short time ago. He listened intently for any sort of response.
Listen (20%),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:33 pm
by jp1885
I trust you all had a pleasant festive break? Now, pour yourselves a glass of something, draw closer to the fire and let us continue our tale...

Anyone loitering around the church door would be surprised to see a well-dressed young man in a state of some distress hammering upon it. He is quickly joined by three men and a woman, equally dressed for a social gathering but all somewhat dishevelled.

Such an onlooker might also notice a lamplight through the windows of the edifice, bobbing along towards said door. It opens with a creak to reveal...
A rather startled young man in clerical garb.

The fellow, whom you take to be the local vicar, is a tall, thin chap with thinning sandy hair. He holds up his lamp, the better to inspect you, and smiles nervously.

"Um, hello? I was just 'shutting up shop' for the night - I'm afraid Evensong was some hours ago."

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening," says Cynthia. "We're sorry, it is rather late. I don't suppose you have many visitors at this hour, do you?"

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 pm
by Whitehorse
"As Miss Knight says, we're so sorry to intrude at this late hour, but we've come a long way and this is rather important... MIght we come in out of the cold for a moment?"

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:24 pm
by jp1885
"Oh, yes, please do come in," says the fellow, looking past you at the inclement night. "I should of course be going back to the vicarage, but truth be told it's much cosier in the vestry, not to mention... yes, much cosier.."

A look of preturbation clouds his expression for a moment, before fading back into polite bemusement.

"Wilfred Skipp, vicar of this parish. Er, that's me by the way," he mumbles by way of introduction as he leads you by lamplight along the dark aisle and into a small but, as promised, cosy room that appears to be kitted out as part vestry, part office and part sleeping quarters.

"And, forgive me, but who are you..?"

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Miss Cynthia Knight," says Cynthia, remembering her manners. "Pleased to meet you, Vicar."

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:28 pm
by Whitehorse
"Grigori Tereshchenko at your service, Reverend...

Tell me, have you been vicar of Wergynstone Church very long?"

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm
by LTD1969
"Henry Garrett, also at your service Reverend."

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm
by jp1885
Rev. Skipp's eyes widen at the mention of your names.

"Oh the Eton party! The Bishop wrote that you'd be coming, but I wasn't expecting you to arrive until tomorrow afternoon at least. You must all be awfully keen to, er, whatever it is you want to do here."

Quickly moving aside some books and papers, he makes room for you to sit before settling into a rickety armchair.

"How long have I been here Mr. Tereshchenko? Three years next month - only another fifty years before I'm accepted as one of the locals." He smiles a wan smile. "The church itself was built in the last century. What, may I ask, brings you to Wergynstone?"

While you chat to the Vicar, you notice some sheets, blankets and a pillow neatly tucked away among the usual clerical paraphernalia. Also, jutting out behind his desk is a small stove and, if you read the labels correctly in the lamp light, some canned food. Clearly the vicar spends more time here than one would think.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were sent here about a matter of an inheritance," says Cynthia. "The Provost of Eton was left some property that was apparently intended for his predecessor."

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 pm
by jp1885
"Ah yes, a strange business that. The old Squire, may God rest his soul, would often regail me with tales from his tme at Eton (I'm a Harrovian myself) and I gather he was close friends with the former Provost. To leave the chap nought but a worthless scrap of land containing a ruined church and a single tenant is unusual enough, but for the new Squire to fight tooth and nail for it simple beggars belief! Are you solicitors then? Surveyors?"

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm a librarian, myself," says Cynthia. "I'm not sure what everyone else's speciality is, but most of us are academics."

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III had hurried inside the chapel the moment the doors had been set ajar. He nearly knocked himself off balance when he pushed past the clergyman and moved deeper into the structure. His eyes gazed all about for a pot of tea. Yes, that's what he needed right now to calm his nerves, a nice cup of tea. When the others began introducing themselves, Henry merely nodded and continued to agitatedly scope out what was likely living space. He really wanted that tea.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori gives a cautious smiling nod when MIss Knight implies he may be an academic. Perhaps divulging that he trades in religious antiquities might muddy matters unnecessarily...

"We've been sent by Eton to assess the local situation," he chimes in somewhat vaguely.

"This new squire does seem to have an odd reputation. Can you tell us any more about him?
We heard some strange accounts of him moving old stones...?"

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:00 pm
by jp1885
Perhaps sensing Mr. Lewis' needs, Rev. Skipp puts lights his small stove and puts the kettle on.

"Academics hm? Well I'm afraid you'll find that Major Perryman is not exactly the bookish type. I called in on Wergyn Hall to pay my respects when he first moved in and he struck me as a very hard-headed fellow - gave me very short thrift I'm afraid to say."

"He owns a factory in the West Midlands by all accounts; he certainly employs a lot of rough chaps from that neck of the woods - from what I gather they put the wind up the household staff, especially poor Sam the gamekeeper. They're determined to 'modernise' the estate you see - diverting watercourses and such."

"If he is moving stones, then it's probably something to do with that. The new Squire does seem very set on digging the place up - obsessed even. Perhaps that's why he's contesting his predecessor's will - circling the square and wotnot."

As the kettle begins to whistle, the vicar pauses in his monologue to make the tea.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were told that he has hired men to keep out intruders," says Cynthia. "Has anyone trespassed on his land recently?"

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm
by jp1885
"No one dare set foot into the Wergyn estate without the new Squire's express permission I'm afraid to say. His, um, 'associates' see to that; although, not being country folk, they don't know all the highways and byways. I daresay Sam or Mr. O'Kent could run rings around them if they saw fit."

Soon the tea is brewed and served, bringing some much-needed cheer after such a strange and dispiriting night. The good Reverend is content to sip in silence, save to answer any further questions.

As the church bells ring eleven, he stifles a yawn. "Oh my, is that the time? Well, I don't think I'll trouble my housekeeper at this late hour; I shall bunk down here again. I assume you are staying at the inn? Only I don't recommend the pews..."

He smiles weakly, eyeing up a neat pile of blankets with tired eyes.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we're staying at the inn," says Cynthia. "We were hoping to secure an introduction to talk to the Squire, but that will probably have to wait until the morning. I see we'd best be on our way now. We would like to meet Sam and Mr. O'Kent as well. Do you know if either of them is about tonight?"

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
by jp1885
“Oh they’ll both be in their beds by now: most folk are early risers around here and unlike me they don’t suffer from...” The Reverend trails off, as if troubled by something. “Anyway, I think I will follow their example. If you’re set in accessing the Wergyn estate, pop in tomorrow morning and I’ll direct you to Sam’s.“

OOC: Perhaps an ‘idea’ roll might be in order?
Success,Does it not strike you as odd that a fellow with a no-doubt comfortable vicarage and a housekeeper would rather sleep in a cramped vestry?
Also, considering how late the hour is, please make a CON roll if don’t intend to return to the inn. If you fail, then make all dice rolls with a -5 modifier.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia is a little tired, but she shrugs it off. How many times has she stayed up late because she couldn't put a good book down, after all?
OOC,Idea roll (70% stat) about what to do: [dice]0[/dice] CON roll (50% stat) for staying out too late: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori retains a nagging sense of urgency, but is unsure of how they might proceed any further tonight, it is getting late and it has been a long day...
Idea=80%,[dice]0[/dice]
Con=60%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:56 am
by Whitehorse
"Tell me Vicar, before we leave for our own beds... Why is it that you are bunked up in the church rather than enjoying the comforts of the vicarage?"

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm
by jp1885
A look of haunted embarrassment crosses the Vicar's face, as if he is unsure whether to confide in you. After a moment of hesitation, he speaks.

"This is going to sound silly, but I always sleep better in the church. It-it's the nightmares you see - they keep me awake anywhere else. They started a few weeks ago; I put them down to some sort of localised miasma, but no-one else in the village seems to suffer from them. According to Miss Coates - she's the local historian - they lack my 'sensitivity'. She'll have you believe it's an old bone that's nailed up in the pulpit thats's protecting me in here. Supposedly it's the thighbone of St. Peter himself!"

He laughs nervously.

"So much for a woman of learning to believe in such medieval quackery! No, it is cooler in the church and thus more conducive to a restful sleep - that must be it. Now, I hate to be rude, but if you don't mind I think I'll turn in..."

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right, then," says Cynthia. "Good night, and thank you for your time."

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:31 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III's disappointment was evident when he was not offered any tea by the clergyman. However, when it seemed that the group would be forced to return to the inn for the night, his mood brightened slightly. The journey here was a fool's errand, and he would certainly make note of it in his report to his uncle.

"Have a pleasant night, Vicar." he said, then moved towards the door.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 pm
by LTD1969
I'm going to head back to the Inn with the others, although given the events of our journey here, it's not without a certain amount of trepidation.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 pm
by jp1885
Fortified by the Vicar's tea (yes Mr. Lewis, you too had a cup), you sally forth from the church and back into the dark, damp night.

Your walk through the churchyard and across the village green is mercifully uneventful. As such you find your way back to the lane that leads to the inn without difficulty.

But, you wonder as you proceed along said thouroughfare, does anything lie in wait once more?

Listen rolls if you please...
Success,Mercifully, nothing can be heard save the distant scream of a fox. It seems the way to the inn is open.
Failure,The distant scream of a fox makes you jump, but you hear nothing else.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nothing out there but a fox," says Cynthia, her hearing keen as always.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) on the way back: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 am
by Whitehorse
Spoiler:
Listen 20%, [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:04 pm
by LTD1969
Listen Skill 20% [dice]0[/dice]

Professor Garrett might be getting on, but it seems his hearing hasn't deserted him yet. He agrees with Cynthia that the noise is probably a fox, "but quite a disconcerting noise they make, one could almost believe it was someone screaming."

OOC: This is only based on the hellish row made in a nocturnal encounter/fight between a friend's massive ginger tom cat and an urban fox a few years back. I'm not an expert on foxes or anything.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:56 pm
by jp1885
Keeper only,[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice]
It is no doubt with great relief that you return to the inn without incident. While the hour is late and the fires are being doused, it is still warm and snug compared to the dismal exterior.

Kipps the innkeeper looks up from his task of stacking bottles and, trusting you had a pleasant excursion, informs you that your rooms are ready. It transpires that, lacking precise instruction, he has divvied out the rooms thus:

Miss Knight will naturally have a room to herself, Mr. Tereshchenko will share a room with Mr. Pritchard while Prof. Garrett will bunk in with Mr. Lewis. The gentlemen's rooms abut each other and are opposite the lady's chamber.

The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable enough, with what little belongings you have bought with you neatly stacked in a corner. You each have a modest, slightly squeaky bed and an oil lamp to see by if you wish to do anything before turning in.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are we to turn in for the night, then?" Cynthia asks the others.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:53 pm
by jp1885
And so to bed, which is rather comfortable (even if perhaps the pillows are a little too soft).

Considering your recent exertions it is not surprising that you soon fall into a deep sleep...
Mr. Tereshchenko,[i]Something is in the room with you - you feel,it's malice. No, not in the room exactly, but around the room: trying to get in. You feel it probing, looking for weaknesses, but ultimately you sense frustration and anger. It cannot get in. Brief images flicker through your mind: large stones being dragged across a bleak field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, smouldering straw, a decrepit figure sitting in an ancient chair room. With a crooked finger he beckons you and-[/i]
Prof. Garrett,[i]Something is in the room with you - you feel,it's malice. No, not in the room exactly, but around the room: trying to get in. You feel it probing, looking for weaknesses, but ultimately you sense frustration and anger. It cannot get in. Brief images flicker through your mind: large stones being dragged across a bleak field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, smouldering straw, a decrepit figure sitting in an ancient chair room. With a crooked finger he beckons you and-[/i]
Mr. Pritchard,[i]Something is in the room with you - you feel,it's malice. No, not in the room exactly, but around the room: trying to get in. You feel it probing, looking for weaknesses, but ultimately you sense frustration and anger. It cannot get in. Brief images flicker through your mind: large stones being dragged across a bleak field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, smouldering straw, a decrepit figure sitting in an ancient chair room. With a crooked finger he beckons you and-[/i]
Miss Knight,[i]Something is in the room with you - you feel,it's malice. No, not in the room exactly, but around the room: trying to get in. You feel it probing, looking for weaknesses, but ultimately you sense frustration and anger. It cannot get in. Brief images flicker through your mind: large stones being dragged across a bleak field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, smouldering straw, a decrepit figure sitting in an ancient chair room. With a crooked finger he beckons you and-[/i]
Mr. Lewis,[i]Something is in the room with you - you feel,it's malice. No, not in the room exactly, but around the room: trying to get in. You feel it probing, looking for weaknesses, but ultimately you sense frustration and anger. It cannot get in. Brief images flicker through your mind: large stones being dragged across a bleak field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, smouldering straw, a decrepit figure sitting in an ancient chair room. With a crooked finger he beckons you and-[/i]
"Good mornin'."

There is a polite knock at your bedroom door.

"Breakfast'll be served in fifteen minutes. I'll be bringin' up a basin of hot water in a moment."

The inn may be simple, but it's host and his staff are most efficient. Soon you are washed and dressed (happily someone in Hereford has seen fit to forward your luggage from the Green Dragon). After a reasonable night's sleep, you find yourselves seated in the snug with a hearty English breakfast before you.

"May I enquire as to your plans for today? Will you be stayin' another night?" asks Mr. Kipps. "Only so's I knows whether the missus needs to wash the sheets quickly like."

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I expect we will," says Cynthia, who feels refreshed in spite of her strange dream. She had lit the oil lamp and read a few pages of her current book before going to sleep. She hadn't wanted to wait until the next day to find out if the dashing Captain James Foote managed to rescue Lady Patricia from the pirates.
OOC,Do we heal any damage after a night's rest?

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:53 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Ah yes, of course, the rest will have helped heal any bumps and bruises. If you've lost any HP, please add 1d4 HP (up to your original value).  

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia is feeling much better. She slept a lot easier knowing that Lady Patricia was in good hands.
OOC,HP recovery: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori did not sleep well. Nevertheless, he attacks breakfast with gusto.

"Fine food Mr Kipps! Thank you so much for catering for us so well, and at such short notice..

Indulge me a moment more, and let me describe a person and a place...
- and here Grigori describes the seated person and room that he saw in his dream, in as matter-a-fact way as he is able -"Do these remind you of anyone, or anywhere around here...??"

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think I had the same dream," says Cynthia in wonder. "I also saw large stones being dragged across a field, a ruined church, flapping cloth, and smoldering straw. Then I saw the decrepit figure in the chair, beckoning me with his finger, right before I woke up."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm
by jp1885
Talk of shared dream experiences means little to a simple man like Mr. Kipps, but he is polite enough to indulge you.

"I don't rightly know much 'bout dreams an' that. They do say the Vicar has funny dreams betimes, an' Miss Coates is s'posed to know 'bout stuff like that."

"But some ol' feller sat it a chair burnin' straw? Could be ol' O'Kent I s'pose - he's allus burnin' stuff in that field o' his."

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"We would like to meet Mr. O'Kent," says Cynthia. "Who is Miss Coates? She sounds interesting too."

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
by LTD1969
"Have we all had the same dream perchance?

What do you all think our next course of action should be? Go and have look from a discrete distance and see what this squire and his hired hands are up to in the fields?

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm
by jp1885
Mr. Handy wrote:"We would like to meet Mr. O'Kent," says Cynthia. "Who is Miss Coates? She sounds interesting too."
"Meet that ol' fool? Well if you're set on that, O'Kent can usually be found in that cottage of his, down by the ol' church. Not easy to get to though, now that the New Squire's made it known he don't like trespassers - you gotta cross his land to get there."

"Miss Coates lives t'other side of the village, just up past the vicarage. Her's a writer or somesuch - been lookin' into the history of the village an' the like. Her's a bit dappy if you ask me, but nice enough when you gets talkin' to her."

LTD1969 wrote:"Have we all had the same dream perchance?

What do you all think our next course of action should be? Go and have look from a discrete distance and see what this squire and his hired hands are up to in the fields?
Assuming you are at least partly addressing him, your host snorts.

""Like I said, the New Squire don't like people wanderin' about his land. You're likely to 'ave them fellas of his comin' down on you unless you knows the country 'round 'ere."

From his somewhat contemptuous look, he sincerely doubts that you do.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:49 pm
by LTD1969
I dare say our host has a point. Nonetheless I think we need to decide on a course of action. If possible I will wait for our host to depart the vicinity before suggesting as much to my companions.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm
by jp1885
Kipps soon takes the hint and busies himself elsewhere while you discuss your course of action.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about the gamekeeper, Sam?" asks Cynthia. "Surely he knows the land and could escort us across it."

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:05 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III was tardy for breakfast this morning. His subconscious mind had obviously been influenced by the tall tales told by his present traveling companions during their journey together which in turn afflicted his dreams with all manner of strange imagery. In fact, the young man was beginning to think that the events of the previous night had to have been some sort of waking dream. Surely that must have been it. He proceeded to join the others and listened in on their conversation. He gestured with a hand to the innkeeper indicating his desire for a hot mug of tea.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:12 pm
by LTD1969

"What about the gamekeeper, Sam?" asks Cynthia. "Surely he knows the land and could escort us across it."

"Possibly so, but what would we do when we get there? Just have a look around, or perhaps take more concrete action?"

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to cross the land to talk to Mr. O'Kent," says Cynthia. "He must know more about what happens around these parts, and after we converse with him, we'll have some idea of what we need to do."

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III enjoyed a hot mug of milk tea as those in the Eton party continued to converse. Inwardly, the young man was somewhat perturbed by the fact that the others seemed to lack a decided course of action to complete their task. His uncle had placed a good deal of faith in their skills, but thus far not much had been accomplished to his reckoning.

"Look, why don't you just introduce me to someone in the know? I'm fairly certain that I can enlist their assistance." he said.

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm
by LTD1969
"Well, per Miss Knight's suggestion that would seem to be this O'Kent fellow. If you're confident of enlisting his aid, I'm happy to follow your lead old chap."

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:50 am
by Whitehorse
"Well... If getting to O'Kent is likely to be difficult without local knowledge, why don't we avail ourselves of what local knowledge is to hand before we set out to see him... Say a visit to MIss Coates, then Sam and hopefully across the fields to O'Kent."

"Unless, Mr Lewis ... you think with your status and connections, you might be able to get some accommodation out of the Squire himself?"

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:22 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Once you've all decided on a course of action, I'll crack on :)  

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, let's seek her out first," says Cynthia. "She may very well know Sam's whereabouts and how best to enlist his aid."

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:13 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori pushes his plate away and stands up from the table.

"I think we're agreed then.

After such a hearty breakfast I now feel ready to get to the bottom of this mystery!"

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 pm
by jp1885
Suitably fortified, the Eton party takes their leave of the inn, stepping out into another drizzly day.

The village is somewhat more alive, with locals going about their daily business whilst studiously ignoring you.
Please roll a Spot Hidden and click here if you succeed,A number of rough looking fellows, who you assume are the New Squire's men, are lounging around various places. It seems that they are watching you whilst trying not to be noticed.
Miss Coates' house is a short distance from the inn, not far from the church and adjacent vicarage.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia opens up her parasol to shield herself from the rain, but it also obstructs her view.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) on the way to [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:00 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III was fairly accustomed to anyone and everyone bending over backwards to whatever whim struck him at a given moment in time, but the Eton group seemed more inclined to take a more roundabout way to reach their end goal. Besides, the young dilettante was mainly here as an observer, as such he was mostly content to let them do as they would had he not been there at all. He followed the others from the inn and proceeded towards their contact's dwelling.
OOC:   I may never pass a Spot Hidden roll, lol  

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am
by LTD1969
Spot Hidden 45% [dice]0[/dice]

And that's a yes.

Professor Garrett mutters out of the side of his mouth, "I say everyone, those rough chaps yonder seem to be watching us."

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:08 pm
by jp1885
Prof. Garrett,Seeing as you rolled a hard success, I'll give you a little extra. As you eye up these suspicious characters, one of them peels off and heads towards Wergyn Hall (assuming the road signs are correct).

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't even see anyone," says Cynthia. "Are they following us?"

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
by Whitehorse
Spotting of the hidden = 55%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 am
by Whitehorse
"They're not much of a sight to behold Miss Knight, but we do seem to be under observation."

"What shall we do? Confront one of them? Or continue with our trip to Miss Coates, and then see if she has a back door, by means of which we might elude these fellows...?"

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 pm
by jp1885
Grigori,Seeing as you rolled an extreme success, I'll give you a little extra. As you eye up these suspicious characters, one of them peels off and heads towards Wergyn Hall (assuming the road signs are correct). To your mind, they seem content to observe rather than confront.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 pm
by Whitehorse
"It does look to me that they've got a watching brief rather than any desire to confront us... Perhaps they are eludable though..."

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Cynthia. "Let's see if we can lose them."

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 pm
by LTD1969
"I saw one of them head off towards Wergyn Hall - reporting on our movements no doubt."

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 pm
by jp1885
Should you wish to try to evade the gaze of these rough fellows, then perhaps a successful stealth roll from each of you is in order.
Otherwise it is a short (if rather visible) walk to Miss Coates' cottage.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia has a lot of experience moving about unseen and unheard in the library in order to avoid disturbing readers or, worse, drawing the attention of the ogre that inhabits the stacks - the other Mr. Lewis. "I'll meet you there," she says. She pretends to move off in a different direction, only to disappear from sight and make her way to the cottage behind the cover of the trees.
OOC,Stealth roll (60% skill) on the way to [b]Miss Coates[/b]'s cottage: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:24 pm
by Whitehorse
Stealth does not come naturally to Grigori, and he watches in awe as Miss Knight disappears from sight.

Hesitantly he attempts to mimic her technique, with the resolution that if he patently akes a hash of it, her will change tack and directly and loudly approach one of the ruffians, hoping to distract them from his companions' movements...
Stealth is a miserable 20%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm
by Whitehorse
Too busy concentrating on moving in the shadows, Grigori fails to notice a strand of barbed wire between some bushes, and lets out a loud "OWW!" as the spikes draw blood from his calf.

Shame-faced at his ineptitude, he marches straight to the nearest ruffian in a bit of a temper.

"Who on earth do you think you are loitering and spying on your betters, intruding on our privacy and behaving like some petty criminal! Explain yourself, before I call the constabulary!"

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:18 pm
by LTD1969
Professor Garrett gives up all pretence of moving stealthily and tags along behind Grigori as he confronts the local ne'er do wells.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 pm
by jp1885
Grigori & Prof. Garrett

The fellows appear somewhat contemptuous (and rather amused) at your attempts to intimidate them. The largest of the bunch, a rangy chap with rotten teeth and a squint, grins.

"Ain't against the law to take a mornin' stroll an' enjoy the country air is it? 's a bostin' day forra walk, in't it?"

He tips his scruffy cap.

"But if our 'betters' don' like uz spoiln' their view, then we'd best be off. Gotta go anyway - work to do, fires to put out an' that."

He jerks his thumb, evidently a signal for his chums to depart.

"Be seein' yow..."

Miss Knight

You move swiftly around the trees and hedges, slipping away from the no doubt salacious gazes of the rough fellows.

This stealthy route takes you around to the rear of Miss Coates' cottage. Here, the back garden is hidden from view by a tall fir hedge; a small wooden gate being the only visible way in.

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia looks around for a way to get to the front of the cottage.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:07 pm
by Zero
Had Henry Joseph Lewis III known of the sort of crowd these Eton folks were involved with he would have brought one of his personal security along as protection. The young man decided to separate from the others, but made no attempt to move stealthily. He merely moved along the busy street, occasionally peeking at shop windows whilst maintaining a general path towards the cottage.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm
by LTD1969
The fellows appear somewhat contemptuous (and rather amused) at your attempts to intimidate them. The largest of the bunch, a rangy chap with rotten teeth and a squint, grins.

"Ain't against the law to take a mornin' stroll an' enjoy the country air is it? 's a bostin' day forra walk, in't it?"

Hmmm...Professor Garrett thinks to himself. Rather unusual to hear the yam-yam dialect this far from the Black Country. Perhaps they're here for the hop picking?

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:35 pm
by Whitehorse
Given that the ruffians have departed, Grigori returns to the original plan of Miss Coates cottage, where no doubt he meets the others...

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:45 pm
by jp1885
You do indeed reconvene at the front gate of Miss Coate's cottage, there being no need for stealth with the departure of those rough chaps (correctly identified as hailing from the industrial Midlands by Prof. Garrett).

Miss Knight and Mr. Lewis also meet at the gate, so, unless Mr. Pritchard's silence means that he has taken his leave, you are all together once more.

From the gate, a narrow path leads through a neat cottage garden to a wooden front door, protected from the elements by a rose covered porch.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we're all here," says Cynthia. "Shall we knock?"

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am
by LTD1969

"Well, we're all here," says Cynthia. "Shall we knock?"
"It would only be polite."

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia walks up to the door and raps lightly on it.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:31 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III drew the collar up on his overcoat and waited for a response to Miss Knight's knock. He glanced to the left and right, curious as to whether or not the group was still of any interest to the locals.
OOC:   Wow, actually passed, assuming there was something to be seen.  

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:35 pm
by jp1885
As Miss Knight knocks on the door, Mr. Lewis can be assured that no-one seems particularly interested in them, hidden as they are from view by the hedges that conceal the front garden.

After a short wait, you hear a female voice muttering with irritation before the door opens. Before you stands a tall woman of a certain age.

"Yes? Can I help you?" see askes, somewhat crossly.

You cannot help but notice that the long white smock she wears is splattered red.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm terribly sorry to have interrupted you, Miss Coates," says Cynthia. "I'm Miss Cynthia Knight. My colleagues and I came from Eton, and we were hoping to ask you a few questions about Wergynstone if you have the time.'

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:32 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori smiles in what he hopes is friendly fashion, while trying to survey the scene behind the lady, who is no doubt in the midst of preparing some meat for the pot...

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:17 pm
by jp1885
A look of confusion flickers across Miss Coates' face at the mention of Eton, before realisation dawns.

"Eton? Oh, Eton! Yes, of course, the business with the Boundary! Such a shame about poor Barneby isn't it? You wish to know about our delightful village? Well I suppose I do know a thing or two that-"

She stops, tutting to herself.

"Listen to me whittering on the doorstep! Please, do come in; I hope you don't mind waiting in the hallway for a moment while I clean up the parlour - I've just finished decapitating the butcher's boy."

She smiles brightly before disappearing back into the cottage, leaving the front door open.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia's jaw drops. She had assumed Miss Coates had been slaughtering an animal, but now it was quite clear that she was quite mad. "What shall we do?" she whispers to the others. "Is there a constable in Wergynstone? I can go fetch him."

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:42 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori's smile turns rapidly to a perplexed frown. Surely he misheard the lady... Or perhaps she is unlettered and is mangling the Queen's English, meaning someting quite other to what she has actually said...

Palming his life-preserver into his pocketed hand, he steps into the hallway, trying to see which way the woman has gone...

"Either this old woman is mad, or we misunderstand her... We should find out which with all haste!"

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm quite sure it's the former," says Cynthia, certain of what she has heard. She looks to Mr. Lewis. "Is there a constable in Wergynstone?" Being local to the area, he would know.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:43 pm
by jp1885
Perhaps Mr. Lewis ought to make an EDU roll to see what he knows. Being of a higher social class than the lowly inhabitants of the village, please also roll a penalty die.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:21 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III moved aside as other members of the group made their way inside. The young man had already had his fill of madness on the eve prior, and had no desire to step inside the cottage given what this contact of theirs had said. They could investigate if they chose to, but he was going to wait outside and locate a runner to summon the local constabulary.
EDU (85),[dice]0[/dice]
Penalty Die (d10),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   A success either way, so yeah, HJLIII knows stuff.  

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 pm
by jp1885
Despite having little interest in the doings of the local working classes, Mr. Lewis recalls that there is indeed a Constable who is responsible for the area. He is based in the larger village of Withington, situated some miles away.

It would take at least a couple of hours for a runner (if one could be located) to reach Withington, rouse the policeman (assuming he wasn't out on 'patrol' at a local hostelry) and return with the fellow in tow.

The point, perhaps is a moot one as Miss Coates reappears, sans smock, and beckons you in. She opens the door to her parlour to reveal a young lad of about twelve years of age.

"Thank you Raymond," she says, dropping a couple of coins into his hand, for which he seems mightily pleased. She smiles as he rushes out, tipping his scruffy cap to the assembled party.

"A good lad, young Raymond; always willing to model for me, despite the more, um, challenging nature of my current work."

It soon becomes clear that she is referring to the large canvas, propped up on an easel and hurriedly covered with the red-spattered smock she wore earlier.

"Now, Eton you say? How fascinating. I suppose you're here for- oh, where are my manners? I'll make a pot of tea shall I?"

And so you are left to make yourselves comfortable on the threadbare furniture that occupies the majority of the rather spartan parlour (after carefully putting aside the tubes of mosty red and orange paint scattered here and there).

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia relaxes a little now that she knows that Miss Coates is not mad after all, just perhaps a bit peculiar. Then again, so is Cynthia herself. "Thank you," she says, finding a seat. "I'd be keen to see your work."

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:25 pm
by LTD1969
Professor Garrett will look around the room, albeit without stirring from the chair/sofa in which he is now comfortably ensconced. Murmurs to the others: "Something tells me Miss Coates is the type to have the odd interesting artifact or two, occult books that kind of thing. Anyone see anything like that hmmm?"

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:44 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori accepts his tea gratefully, and tries to see what clues there might be to Miss Coates' character and the nature of this strange village. He scans the bookshelves... Always a good guide to a person. Are there any photographs or uncovered artworks...?
Spot Hidden 55%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:44 pm
by jp1885
Miss Coates smiles at Miss Knight, obviously pleased that an interest is being shown in her work.

"Oh that's very kind, but I'm afraid like all artists I'm loathe to show my work until it is finished - especially more... challenging pieces like this. Now, tea I think."

She disappears into what you assume is the kitchen.
Grigori,Excellent rolling sir. Your keen eyesight spots a number of books on British history, myths and legends (including [i]Memorials of Old Herefordshire[/i]), as well as an eclectic range of classical works, from the Iliad to Shakespeare. There are also numerous books about arts, crafts and art history. Clearly the woman is something of a polymath.
The current painting in question remains covered, with the exception of one corner, tantalisingly left exposed by the carelessly tossed smock that covers the work. This corner reveals a vibrant swirl of red and orange.

With the kettle alrady whistling, someone will have to keep Miss Coates occupied in the kitchen if you wish to look at the painting.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Here, I'll help you with the tea," says Cynthia, going with Miss Coates into the kitchen. "I see you're an avid reader. So am I, and I'm a librarian as well."

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:49 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori takes Miss Knight's cue, and carefully lifts the corner of the smock...
OOC:   Sigh, here we go... Hit me with the brain curdling vision!!  

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 am
by Zero
After a good deal of thought, Henry Joseph Lewis III reluctantly entered the woman's home after the entire Eton group. While the others spoke with the contact, the young dilettante remained standing as nearby to the exit as he was able to. He didn't even seem all too interested in tea this time and nervously glanced at his fob watch, a fine John May of London Repousse timepiece from the 17th century at semi-regular intervals.

"Make sure one of you lot is taking notes, I do not care to return here again." he said as he wiped a layer of dust from a nearby surface and looked upon his soiled fingertip with disdain. It was utterly dreadful that anyone could live in such a state as this.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:40 pm
by jp1885
Miss Knight

Miss Coates beams. "Oh, how nice to talk to a fellow bibliophile, and another female to boot! Alas most of the womenfolk around here, while capable and indeed often formidable examples of our gender, have little time for reading. So what, may I ask, brings a librarian to this corner of England? What has it to do with the Boundary?"

Mr. Lewis

While the cleanliness of the place may not match your exacting standards, at least, judging by the smears on the mirrors and striations in the dust, sporadic attempts at cleaning have been made.

Perhaps your inspection may uncover something other than slapdash domesticity; please make a luck roll.

Mr. Tereshchenko

Alas, gently lifting up a corner of the smock causes the garment to slip off the easel and fall to the floor, revealing the full horror of the painting...

Good God! The calamity! The mind-shattering hideousness!

The, well, to put it bluntly, bally awfulness of the thing!

The painting is terrible - sheer amateurishness! Poorly painted stick figures scamper jarringly across a splodgy landscape of black and red. Badly drawn faces leer and gurn at ham-fisted slashes of ochre. Childish spirals of crimson clash with zigzags of yellow.

Frankly, one would find more worthy works of art in a nursery.

While Miss Coates is occupied with Miss Knight, anyone wishing to study this monstrosity may make some kind of artistic skill roll.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, the Provost of Eton received an inheritance in this area that was apparently intended for his predecessor," says Cynthia, grinning as well. "He sent my companions and me to sort the whole mess out. Have you heard aught about it?"

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:43 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori reels at the ghastlyness of the piece. Shocked and disappointed that an apparently edicated woman could have created such a thing he tries to make a professional appraisal of it, it as he would a naive religious or peasant work.
Appraise 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
And surely this piece must fit somehow into the scheme of artistic techniques and styles, if only cave painting...?
Painting 40%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:56 pm
by LTD1969
I don't know much about art, but I know what I don't like, and I don't like this. On the other hand if Miss Coates wants to spend her leisure time daubing stick figures on canvas who am I to demur?

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to casually look about as the others examined what appeared to be a painting at the far end of the room. One glance at the object told him that it was utterly worthless and entirely undeserving of the deeper examination the others appeared to be giving it.
Luck (60),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   HJLIII owned that Luck roll... :D  

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:22 pm
by jp1885

"Well, the Provost of Eton received an inheritance in this area that was apparently intended for his predecessor," says Cynthia, grinning as well. "He sent my companions and me to sort the whole mess out. Have you heard aught about it?"
"Oh yes, some sort of legal wrangling isn't it? The new Squire appears to be quite protective of his territory. That's understandable I suppose: these landowners don't give up land if they can help it, but it all seems rather silly to me. That parcel of land is basically worthless, save perhaps some historical interest about the old church, and has been in the O'Kent family's hands since the middle ages, when the original 'Cunning Man' was awarded it by the original Squire Barneby. Why rock that particular boat after all this time?"

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 pm
by jp1885
Whitehorse wrote:Grigori reels at the ghastlyness of the piece. Shocked and disappointed that an apparently edicated woman could have created such a thing he tries to make a professional appraisal of it, it as he would a naive religious or peasant work.
Appraise 60%,[dice]233476:0[/dice]
And surely this piece must fit somehow into the scheme of artistic techniques and styles, if only cave painting...?
Painting 40%,[dice]233476:1[/dice]
It only takes a quick glance to judge the painting completely worthless. You know of some 'unusual' works that might fetch a price in certain corners of the art market, but not even collectors of the extreme, unusual and outré would bother with this piece.

One thing that does catch your eye though. In the four corners of the painting, a theme can be discerned. In one corner, a horned figure can be seen wrestling with a wiggling blue line, as if forcibly moving a stream of water. In another, a similar being is dragging a large stone through a forest of lollipop-shaped trees.

In the third corner, a horned stick figure, wielding what appears to be a rug beater, seems to be dancing on top of a fire, while in the final corner another one is mischieviously pulling someone's sheets off a washing line.

In the fifth corner-
Fifth corner? This horrible painting is clearly messing with your perceptions. As you were quite right to predict, please make a sanity roll (0/1).

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:36 pm
by jp1885
LTD1969 wrote:I don't know much about art, but I know what I don't like, and I don't like this. On the other hand if Miss Coates wants to spend her leisure time daubing stick figures on canvas who am I to demur?
Who indeed professor? By the way Mr. Tereshchenko is studying the work, he appears quite taken with it however.

It appears that Miss Knight is keeping your host occupied admirably, so you have time to take a closer look around if you so wish (a spot hidden roll perhaps?)

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:46 pm
by jp1885
Zero wrote:Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to casually look about as the others examined what appeared to be a painting at the far end of the room. One glance at the object told him that it was utterly worthless and entirely undeserving of the deeper examination the others appeared to be giving it.
Luck (60),[dice]233531:0[/dice]
OOC:   HJLIII owned that Luck roll... :D  
I say, excellent rolling sir. For this, you shall be suitably rewarded...

Idly mooching around the room, you come across, quite by chance, a small and very well-thumbed address book. Flicking through its pages reveals the addresses of the village notables, from the landlord of the inn to the local butcher, through the vicar and even the gamekeeper of Wergyn Hall.

Eccentric she may be, but Miss Coates is clearly a meticulous record keeper.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't know," says Cynthia. "The inheritance has something to do with O'Kent's Boundary, and we were hoping to speak to Mr. O'Kent himself. Unfortunately, he lives in the middle of the Squire's land, and he's not letting anyone cross it. We were told that the gamekeeper might be able to escort us, but we're not sure where he might be found."

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori replaces the covering to the painting with a troubled frown....
Sanity is(was) 47,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 pm
by LTD1969
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I wouldn't know," says Cynthia. "The inheritance has something to do with O'Kent's Boundary, and we were hoping to speak to Mr. O'Kent himself. Unfortunately, he lives in the middle of the Squire's land, and he's not letting anyone cross it. We were told that the gamekeeper might be able to escort us, but we're not sure where he might be found."
"Surely there must be a legal access for Mr O'Kent to come and go from his land? If we were to take a wander along that in broad daylight, en masse as it were, could the squire stop us from visting O'Kent's house?"

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:56 pm
by jp1885
By the time you have finished looking at paintings and copying address books, Miss Coates emerges from the kitchen with a tray of tea, having co-opted Miss Knight to carry the biscuit tin.

"Marching en-masse? Well, that may work elsewhere, but around here it's the Squire who lays down the law I'm afraid. To be honest I've no idea how O'Kent travels to and fro - he's rather self-sufficient and any supplies he orders are simply left by the church gate in the evening and are gone by the morning."

"I suppose Sam the gamekeeper could get you to the Boundary undetected - if there's anyone who knows the hidden paths, it's him. He lives in one of the tied cottages on the track to Sty Farm: turn left after you leave here, head out of the village and follow the lane until you reach a row of cottages. His is the furthest one along."

"Now - tea?"

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Cynthia. "That would be lovely." She finds a seat.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:00 pm
by jp1885
Humming tunelessly, Miss Coates doles our tea and biscuits. When satisfied that all is in order she takes a seat next to her easel.

“So, how else can I be of assistance?” she asks.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you've already helped us a great deal by telling us how to find Sam the gamekeeper," says Cynthia after taking a sip of tea. "Have you seen anything unusual around these parts recently?"

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:01 am
by jp1885
"Hmm, no, nothing unusual. The vicar always says I live most of my life in the past: historian as I am; but I pride myself in being in touch with the rhythm of the village."

Miss Coates leans forward conspiratorially.

"I have the gift you see."

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I share your interest in history," says Cynthia, "but I lack the gift. What has it shown you?"

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 am
by jp1885
Your hostess pauses mid-sip.

"Well, nothing unusual... I suppose I could reach out now and see what's to be seen... If you like."

Those present are invited to make a psychology roll.
Pass,Miss Coates seems rather conflicted: partly excited, partly scared.
Hard or extreme pass,As above, but additionally you get the impression that she feels her bluff has been called. It's as if, deep down, she doubts her powers.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I would like that," says Cynthia. "I admit I've had doubts about such things in the past, but with what I've seen lately, I have come to start to believe. I think you may have struggled with the same doubts. The fact that you have them indicates your gift is genuine. Those who don't truly have it tend to be overconfident."
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III continued to stand near the perimeter of the room nearby the entrance. He had completely ignored the tea he had been served, perhaps still unsure about the character of dweller of this cottage. The young man's eyebrow raised when the woman mentioned something about having a gift. Just what sort of gift did she believe she had? Henry really hoped this wasn't more of that supernatural nonsense.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am
by Whitehorse
Grigori is more comfortable with assessing objects than people, nonethless he attempts to think psycjologically about Miss Coates
Pscyhology 10%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:17 am
by Whitehorse
"Indeed Mademoiselle, my mother was possessed of certain gifts that proved most valuable in times of need, so I have no doubt that such things can be real, if hard to access...

We would be honoured if you would shar eyour insights with us"

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm
by jp1885
Miss Coates closes her eyes and inhales deeply. There follows much muttering and sighing (and, it seems, the occasional opening of an eye to see if you are still watching). You begin to wonder if her reluctance stems from the fact that she's making this all up as she goes along...

...until she suddenly stiffens, eyes flying wide open.

"Heh, thou art wrong to seek zat old fool that defies ze Squire. Leave zis muddy hole and go back to ze city; 'tis nicer for thee there, non?"

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"And who are you?" asks Cynthia, realizing that Miss Coates is not exactly herself.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:41 pm
by LTD1969
"Whoever it is, they seem to be French." I mutter out of the corner of my mouth.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III intently focused upon the woman as her accent noticeably changed. Based on prior experience, the dilettante believed what he was bearing witness to was in all likelihood some sort of trick. That being said, he decided to put that theory to the test.

"Pouvez-vous me comprendre, madame?" he asked.
OOC:   I wager that HJLIII has been around plenty of people who fake being of higher social class, he's probably good at spotting phony accents. Translation: "Can you understand me, madam?"  

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 am
by jp1885
Miss Coates glares at you each in turn.

"Who am I? Why, your master! Soon to be ze master of all things!"

"Do not confuse me for a damned Frank! Purer blood once flowed through my veins, and shall again!"

Please roll INT. If you succeed...
INT success,Upon hearing more of the speech, it strikes you that this is an accent that has evolved over a long period of time.
You are also invited to make a history, or hard EDU roll.
Success,Certain phrases and inflections in the speech pattern remind you of the Norman French tongue of old.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:14 am
by Whitehorse
INT=80,[dice]0[/dice]
History=40,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 am
by Whitehorse
OOC:   Grigori smashes that History roll!! Any bonus info? :)  

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:08 pm
by jp1885
Whitehorse wrote:
OOC:   Grigori smashes that History roll!! Any bonus info? :)  
Grigori,Seeing as I'm feeling generous... The rhythm of the speech puts you in mind of certain Norman texts from around the time of the First Crusade. Yet curiously you also identify other aspects from throughout Anglo-Norman history; some idioms hailing from 13th century English.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:33 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III realized that the woman correctly identified the language he had spoken in, but he is otherwise unable to decipher her meaning and glanced at the Eton party members for possible clarification. In his mind, it was still entirely possible that this was all a gag.
INT (65),[dice]0[/dice]
History (40),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I see that you are a Norman," says Cynthia. "Any relation to William the Conqueror?"
OOC,INT roll (70% stat) about the being possessing [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] History roll (60% skill) about the being possessing [b]Miss Coates[/b]: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm
by jp1885
Miss Coates’ eyes narrow.

“‘tis my wish to warn thee away, not to tell thee my history! Begone! ‘tis your final warning!”

To elicit any further information, I think some kind of interpersonal skill roll is required. Be warned, it will not be easy...

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's okay if you're a little shy," says Cynthia. "I'm much the same way myself."
OOC,Charm roll (55% skill) to get the being to open up about itself: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:32 am
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III rolled his eyes. It was clear that the poor sod had suffered some sort of psychic episode. Maybe it was a result of living in this god forsaken village. After all, he too had experienced a strange sort of hallucination the night prior, something that had not occurred at any other point in his life to the young man's recollection. He could only surmise what could happen with prolonged existence in this place. Perhaps the two instances were connected somehow. That said, it was time for them to leave.

"You know, Miss Knight, we really have taken up enough of this woman's time. We should be on our way." he suggested.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:11 pm
by jp1885
Miss Coates looks at the both of you with some amusement.

"Aye, be thou off. The fire will be doused and the third wall shall come down anon. 'twould be best for thee if thou art gone by then..."

She blinks and shakes her head, as if just asked a particularly puzzling question.

"Um, I must've lost me train of thought for a moment. Did you just say you were leaving? Well, I hope I was of some service - do call again if you think I can help some more."

She casts a somewhat speculative glance at at Mr. Pritchard.

"Unless anyone would like to stay and model for me..."

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your time," says Cynthia. "You've been of great help."

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 am
by LTD1969
"Well I have to say, that was as clear as mud. Any thoughts about what we should do next?"

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Next we need to find Sam the gamekeeper," says Cynthia. "Now that we have directions, that shouldn't be a problem."

Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:48 pm
by Zero
Henry Joseph Lewis III followed the Eton group from the small residence. When they reached the village street he casually presented a small notebook to Professor Garrett.

"This may be of some assistance on deciding your next moves." he announced, paused for a moment then continued, "You see, I was bored, and that nutter of an old woman apparently keeps records of everyone in town. I copied her notes, have a look."
OOC:   The notebook is filled with strange mathematical problems, the last few used pages are where HJLIII copied the woman's notes to.  

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:49 am
by jp1885
Using the information jotted down by Mr. Lewis, you discover that it’s only a short stroll to the gamekeeper’s cottage. Thankfully the weather seems to have cleared up a little and the walk is a pleasant one, affording you the opportunity to discuss what has transpired before at your leisure.
OOC:   Before I start the next thread I’m going to take a GM break for a few days. In the meantime, please take the opportunity to collate your findings at https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 449&t=7058 :)  

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Never one to refuse to read a book, Cynthia also examines the notes.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 pm
by Whitehorse
Grigori sucks his teeth in uffish thought as he strolls alongside his companions... A Norman devil in chainmail strikes a pose in his mind's eye, before he shakes his head and castigates himself for whimsy, smelling the air of the here and now.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm
by LTD1969

Never one to refuse to read a book, Cynthia also examines the notes.
And what do we see Mr Lewis?

OOC Possibly we need to look at this on the clues thread?

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Cynthia is in luck.
OOC,Luck roll (80% stat) on the way to the gamekeeper's: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 am
by Zero
Luck (60),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I'll spend a point of Luck to make that a hard Luck success... J/K :lol: :lol: :lol: