[IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

Post by jp1885 »

Kipps makes another sidelong glance into the back room and, obviously considering it safe to talk, leans in to whisper.

“I shouldn’t speak ill of the New Squire, but him and his men don’t let anyone onto his land if he can help it. He’s got them fellers down from Brum and they’s patrolling at all hours. No-one’s allowed anywhere near the estate save the domestic staff and ol’ Sam the gamekeeper.

A loud ‘harrumph’ from the bar indicates that someone wishes to be served, causing the landlord to leave you with a cordial nod.

“I s’pect your rooms’ll be ready by the time you’ve finished your drinks. Take your time though - there ain’t much else to do of a night ‘round here.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How are we to get to the stones, if the land is guarded?" Cynthia asks the others. "Perhaps we could ask Sam the gamekeeper. But where might he be found?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
speshul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by speshul »

Tom shadows Grigori trying to look casual, if possible he will sit with his back to the room, torn between hiding his face and keeping a good view, he will try and find somewhere to sit even if it is away slightly from the others. His plan is to observe.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As the evening wears on, the atmosphere turns from one of sullen curiosity to that of quiet conviviality. You watch the locals as surreptitiously as they watch you, but to all intents and purposes you are left alone with your refreshments.

Clearly most of the patrons are local labourers of one type or another, for with an early start and a full day’s work on the morrow they do not drink to excess or tarry late. Soon the inn begins to empty, save those who have the leisure to remain.

The fire is warm and the drink is palatable. Will you spend the rest of the evening here or explore elsewhere?
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori looks out the window, trying to spy throught the fug whether it is any drier out there.

"I feel a midnight stroll to be in order... Would anyone care to join me?"
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"I'd be happy to join you for a night time constitutional, and perhaps plan our next course of action away from prying eyes, or indeed ears. I'm not sure we should embark on anything adventurous though until it's daylight."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd be delighted," says Cynthia, "though I don't think we can wait until morning. They're supposed to be coming for the stones tonight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III spent the evening at the bar, listening to the others speculate on a wide array of nonsense he knew little about. The young dilettante appeared to be in a dreadful mood. He stared sullenly into his drink, not daring allow his lips to touch the visibly unclean surface of the glass. In spite of his dour mood, he decided to engage those Eton party members whom decided to remain at the bar in some idle conversation.

"More talk of the supernatural? You're likely to find yourselves committed to the county sanitarium if you continue on this fool's errand. What sort of proof have you?" he said in a low undertone.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

"Mr Lewis, I fear you are unlikely to understand, but we each of us were touched by some supernatural entity on our journey here. Snear if you will, but do please take care while you are here. Something malevolent is in this neighbourhood."

With that, Grigori turns away. He borrows a lantern from the innkeeper, enquires as to the direction of the church, pulls his muffler up to his chin, takes his stick in his hand, and steps out into the gloom with his comrades, pleased at least to have some fresh air after the fug of the bar.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

‘Mine Host’ points you up the lane, away from the main road and towards the village, heading across the green. The church, he informs you with a wry smile, is the large building with the steeple on top.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That looks like a good place to start," says Cynthia. "Let's go."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Ah well, it appears time is against us. I must say I feel rather unprepared for a confrontation with supernatural evil - a night's sleep would have done a power of good. Needs must, it seems".

The professor moves to follow the others up the lane.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

May I ask, is everyone walking out for an evening constitutional, or is anyone remaining in the inn?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, it would have been nice to have a night's sleep," says Cynthia, walking with the others toward the church, "but there's no time for that. At least that cup of tea was quite fortifying."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III would ordinarily have preferred to retire for the evening at this hour, but not this night. He surmised that the sooner the Eton group got started on this nonsensical task of theirs the sooner they could depart this awful place. The young dilettante longed to be seated in his study by the fireplace, engrossed in the pages of a new written work. He would certainly be giving his uncle a piece of his mind when he saw him again. Blood relationship be damned, he would not have his time wasted in this manner. The man drew the collar up on his overcoat and followed the others as they struck out into the bleak conditions.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leaving the fuggy warmth of the Knight's Head Inn is like stepping into a cold grey void, for night has turned the drizzle that has dogged your journey into a damp mist, made translucent by moonlight.

You make your way down the rutted lane that leads from the inn to the centre of the village. Little more than a rough track, it is bordered by small cottages; the inhabitants abed judging by the mean, lightless windows and rough stone walls. There is some light ahead however, roughly where you judge the village green and hence the church to be situated.

Like moths drawn to a flame you head for this, but as you progress, you become aware of a slight scrabbling noise behind the high, crumbling stone wall to your right. It's as if some animal or person is trying to climb up over it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe there's a dog on the other side of that wall," says Cynthia.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

I turn to the others and whisper: "Should we call out and ask who's there?"
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III made his way towards the lighted structure, careful not to step into one of the muck-filled ruts left by repeated wagon traffic. The haughty young man continued to lament his involvement with this motley group, as such when another opportunity presented itself to lighten his own mood at the expense of one of the others, he took full advantage of it.

He shot a glance in Cynthia's direction, then quipped wryly, "Well it's certainly not one of your specters, their ilk can pass straight through walls, isn't that right?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They aren't my specters, Mr. Lewis," says Cynthia. "I do like a good ghost story, but that doesn't mean I believe in such things. I can tell the difference between fiction and reality." Well, most of the time, she thinks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”