[IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 2: Hereford

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can read lots of books," says Cynthia, peering at the tea leaves, "but I've no idea how to read these."
OOC,Luck roll (80% stat) on the train: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

As you take your seat, Miss Knight, you find that someone has left a copy of the Hereford Times lying on a seat nearby. You can't help but notice a header; "Barneby Heir Contests Will."
OOC:   If anyone else passes their luck roll, then they too spot the newspaper.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh!" says Cynthia, picking up the newspaper and examining the article. "This concerns the inheritance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by LTD1969 »

Luck roll (30%)

[Spoiler-Button]Prof Garrett[dice]0[/dice][/Spoiler-Button]

"What newspaper's that then?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's the Hereford Times," says Cynthia, showing him the article. "The heir is contesting the will."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

OOC:   JP - I can roll for the tasseography if you like, but perhaps if you do it that I won't know the validity of my readings.... ? :)  
Luck = 45%,[dice]0[/dice]
"It has turned dreary has it not... Gentleman, can I offer you a restorative cigar?" Grigori makes a point of making sure Tom is included in the offer. "You don't mind do you Miss Knight?
speshul
Layman
Layman

Post by speshul »

Tom accepts a cigar glady "Thank you, it seems interesting times are a foot, shared dreams, mysterious people, with the learned stuff I will derfer to you clever folks, but please trust me if I say duck or run please listen to me"
Tom seems serious and thoughful, after a few puffs on the cigar he smiles a rare smile "Atleast we are away from the university on an adventure and meeting new people right!
Luck 60 [dice]0[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Whitehorse wrote:
OOC:   JP - I can roll for the tasseography if you like, but perhaps if you do it that I won't know the validity of my readings.... ? :)  
OOC:Whitehorse,Good point - allow me...
Secret rolls,[dice]0[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Tereshchenko,It has been many years since your grandmother taught you to read the leaves. Nevertheless you definately feel that there is some kind of pattern, lurking in the bottom of the cup. There are small specks around the outside - suggesting some kind of journey if you remember correctly? There is also a pyramd-shaped blob - a temple or somesuch? Perhaps most disconcertingly, there, right in the centre of the cup, is a face - long and horned. You don't need your grandmother to tell you who that represents...
The newspaper makes for a welcome distraction, for the journey is a monotonous one (a depressing drizzle has set in, obscuring the sorry excuse for a view.

The article is short, but interesting. According to the paper, the new incumbent of Wergyn Hall, Major Perryman, has announced his intention to contest a certain clause in the late Squire Barneby's will, to wit, the bequest of land to 'a certain prestigious school.'

Solicitors Harrison & Yem, acting on behalf of the deceased, have declined to comment, save that they intend to honour their late client's wishes 'to the letter.'

Accompanying the article is a photograph of the late squire - an elderly man, clearly of upright and noble bearing.
Prof. Garrett,You squint at the photo, supressing a gasp. Can it be? Surely this is impossible! If this photo is accurate, the late [b]Squire Barneby[/b] is [i]exactly the same man as the one you saw in your dream![/i] Please make a SAN roll and deduct 1 SAN if you fail.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't mind at all," says Cynthia, reading the article. "Yes, it's a grand adventure we're on! Really, I can't see how Major Perryman can possibly contest the will. The deceased's last wishes were quite clear."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori looks up from Miss Knight's cup, a little pale...

"дьявол!!"

Quickly he swirls the remaining tea around the cup and throws the dregs out the window...

"My grandmother was a superstitious old woman, and spent the last of her years closetted with the nuns for fear of the evils of thw world... It was likely such leaves as these that sent her into her seclusion."

He sighs...

"But still... Are you sure that you wish to accompany us on this mission Miss Knight? I see a journey, a temple, and great evil ahead of us. These seem no surrooundings for such a delicate young lady. Surely you would be more comfortable in a hotel? I promise we will report our findings to you..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You must be joking," says Cynthia. "I wouldn't miss this for anything! I signed up for an adventure, and it seems that's exactly what I'm going to get. If I wanted a dull time, I wouldn't be here now." Part of her is afraid, but she resolves not to show it. No more would she have to imagine thrilling experiences; here was her chance to live one for real!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori fiddles with his moustache, and emits another heavier sigh...

"I understand, Miss Knight... We are all of us, whether acknowledged or not, searchers for the other, hidden side of existence, even if when we find it, it may hold many dangers and terrors..."

"Still...

And he silently reveals the workings of his shotgun-cane...

"... do pleae understand that it is not wise to venture forth unprotected, and if anything untoward should occur, I entreat you to take shelter behind myself and soldier Tom, and we will do our best to protect you...."

He wipes away condensation from the window, to better see the landscape.

"But excuse me, I am being unpardonably melodramatic on account of a few dreams and some silly tea-leaves.... No doubt all we face is some petty legal dispute. Perhaps this Major fellow should be our first port of call after the cathedral. What do you think Garrett?"
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

SAN=60 [dice]0[/dice]

Phew..made it.
Whitehorse wrote:
"But excuse me, I am being unpardonably melodramatic on account of a few dreams and some silly tea-leaves.... No doubt all we face is some petty legal dispute. Perhaps this Major fellow should be our first port of call after the cathedral. What do you think Garrett?"
Umm...ah sorry, a little distracted there for a minute - this new squire chappy is the exact same fellow I saw in my dream! I suppose we could go and see him but I suspect we'll get pretty short shrift if we start telling him stories about ancient curses, medieval witchcraft and the like.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Tereshchenko," says Cynthia. "That is most gallant of you. I would also not suggest saying that to Major Perryman, though it might be entertaining to see him have a fit of apoplexy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

After a while, your train pulls in to the station at Hereford (I trust your journey was a pleasant one?)

You step onto the platform and wait for your luggage. While the station is rather busy (you soon gather that tomorrow is market day), the atmosphere is strangely muted, as if the drizzle that has followed your journey since you changed at Worcester has dulled all sounds and washed out all colours. The stiff breeze that is funneled down the track between platforms adds a certain chill to the air and you shiver as you wait for your things.

Eventually a monstrous apparition looms through the smoke and steam, revealing itself to be a porter pushing your trolley. Thus re-equipped, you make your way through the exit.

Outside, you quickly spot a young man, carrying a sign marked 'Provost of Eton's Party', slouching against a wall. Upon your approach he hurriedly straightens up.

"'ello sirs; miss. Oi gotta take you to see the Dean. Got a carriage ready for you."

The fellow, clearly a local, swiftly collects your luggage and deposits them in said vehicle, before offering to help Miss Knight into it.

Unless you have reason to tarry, the trip to the cathedral will be a swift one.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Cynthia, gratefully accepting his help. She tips him generously.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Gregori has had enough of trains, and follows the Dean's emmissary to the carriage without tarrying.

"So Garrett, the fellow collapsed choking in your dream was this Perryman?? Perhaps instead of being our adversary, this gentleman is in need of our warning... Though having him heed what we might say is another matter..."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Prof. Garrett,The fellow in the paper (and your dream) was the late Squire Barneby, not the new squire Perryman :)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Why thank you miss!”

The fellow gratefully accepts Miss Knight’s tip and loads the carriage with renewed vigour (though, judging by the looks he occasionally throws at the gentlemen of the party, he clearly expects a little something from them too.)

Once ensconced, they are driven a short distance through the drizzle-grey streets towards the grand edifice of Hereford Cathedral.
OOC,I’ll give you a little more time before arriving at the cathedral.

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”