[IC] Chapter 4: The Wergyn Estate

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 4: The Wergyn Estate

Post by LTD1969 »

Staggering back into the cottage I hear Mr Lewis's instructions to Cynthia.

"Possibly we'd be better waiting out any storm here in the house?" I suggest. "We could look at the books then as well."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm all for a good read," says Cynthia. "There's nothing better to do on a stormy day. Or a clear day, for that matter."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III animatedly pointed in the former resident's direction, handkerchief still held firmly in place to filter out the stench, then said, "I'm not occupying the same space as that, and any of you even considering it are mad." There was a definite hint of frustration in his tone at this point as he was growing weary with trying to reason with this lot. For the life of him, the dilettante couldn't fathom why this lot desired to shelter in what had now for all intents and purposes become a tomb. It was utter foolishness and he would have no part in it and attempted to determine the route back to the inn.
OOC:   Probably an INT roll to see if he recalled the route back, yeah? Or is most of the village still plainly visible?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   It should be easy enough to trace your route back, despite the thickening mist outside.  
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori tries to persuade Henry that the fog is thick, the ruffians might pounce on him, and that the books here, which seem fragile and difficult to carry, really could be important to their mission...
OOC:   Not sure if you'll want an opposed roll of some sort, or if Grigori's mediocre charm skills on their own will suffice..  
:)
Charm = 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Whitehorse wrote:
OOC:   Not sure if you'll want an opposed roll of some sort, or if Grigori's mediocre charm skills on their own will suffice..  
:)
OOC:   Actually, players cannot use Charm, Intimidate, or Persuade skills on one another. I'll post again later after more have chimed in, but there's no way HJLIII is staying in that hovel.  
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

OOC:   @Zero, actually that's not the case in 7th edn. rules at least. Though given Grigori failed his roll, it's a bit academic!

" When one of these four skills is successfully used on an investigator (either by an NPC or another investigator), the player is not compelled to follow the wishes of the other party. If the player refuses to act in accordance with the wishes of the character who is coercing them, the latter can inflict one penalty die on one dice roll (of the coercer’s choice) made by the player of the coerced investigator. This penalty die need not be applied to the very next dice roll, but does not last indefinitely. Only one penalty die can be held by one character against any other single character at a time."  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

OOC:   That must be an optional rule, because that's absolute nonsense. I'd sooner exit a game in protest than let a roll determine whether I was being cooerced by another player. That is far too easily abused.  
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

OOC:   It's right there in the core rules as a boxed disambiguation on p.60. Look it up if you don't believe me.

But as the first line I quoted says, a player is not compelled to follow the wishes of the persuader. It's not so different to failing a sanity roll, and losing full control of a character. It's just role-playing.

I feel Grigori would try and persuade Henry. The only way to determine the character's persuasiveness is a roll taking into account his skill and the GM's perception of the difficulty. But Grigori failed even a basic roll, so there you have it.

Having said that. it's a game. No-one should be made to do anything they don't consider fun. If you don't like something, say so (or X-card if that's available).  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

OOC:   Yeah, like I said before, I would never go along with it. Game mechanics be damned. I find the practice offensive.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Thankfully the point is moot, allowing us all to continue the adventure as the civilised investigators we undoubtedly are. Mr. Lewis is welcome to keep watch outside while the others look at the books: details of which I will elaborate when time permits.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Lewis; resolute in your determination to stay outside, you witness the mist continuing to swirl around the ruins. Intriguingly, the flapping of the sheets at the bottom of the garden seems to push the mist away.

Oh, and please oblige me with a spot hidden roll.
Success,Looking past the flapping sheets you notice a figure. He appears to be watching you.
Hard or extreme success,Why, it is none other than your recent companion, [b]Mr. Pritchard[/b]!
Everyone else; braving the unpleasant conditions within the cottage is something of a trial (especially if you failed the CON roll and must perforce suffer a penalty die).

However, soldiering on you inspect the mouldering books. Some, you notice, are ledgers and diaries. Others are books of history and folklore. Meanwhile a choice few, ready to crumble at the slightest touch judging by thier frayed spines, appear more esoteric in nature.

While the wind picks up further, howling around the cottage, you decide which books to read.

Oh, please indulge my whimsy with a spot hidden and a listen roll.
Spot hidden success,You notice the occasional column of dust trickling softly from the ceiling above you.
Listen success,The ceiling above you creaks rather onimously.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III ignored the Russian's queer attempt at befriending him, and attempted to retrace his steps back towards the village center. The young man was done entertaining his uncle's notions of assisting this impious group of individuals. Once back in Hereford he would be sure to give his report, a rather unfavorable one, then return to his research.
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Not even close.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wonder if the roof can hold?" says Cynthia. "The ceiling's creaking rather badly, and I see dust trickling down." She starts with the fragile esoteric books. As a librarian, she knows better than anyone else how to handle delicate books. Treating them with the utmost care, she carefully examines them one by one.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) in the cottage: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (55% skill) in the cottage: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Miss Knight; with well-practised handling you are able to study some of the grimoires.

Clearly they are very old, as evidenced by the archaic handwriting. Your best guess, comparing the tomes to those in your care at Eton, would date them from between the 16th and 17th century.

Alas, their contents are something of a mystery, the books being written in what appears to be Latin.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do either of you chaps know Latin well?" asks Cynthia, showing them how to safely handle the old books and turn the pages without damaging them. Once she passes the books off, she takes a look at the ledgers, having some experience with accounting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori peers around the hut as best he can in the poor lighting
Spot HId=55%,[dice]0[/dice]
, listening to the creaks and groans that seem to permeate the evening air...
Listen = 20%,[dice]1[/dice]
"Miss Knight, I have picked up a little pig latin in my time... Let me have a look...
Latin=20,[dice]2[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   I’ll leave some time for LTD1969 to dust off his Latin before the next update.  
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

Latin Skill 50% [dice]0[/dice]
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte