[IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

When the Provost of Britain’s most prestigious college for boys is bequeathed a parcel of land in a rural backwater he’s never even heard of, the venerable old man calls upon a select number of friends to look into the matter.

Why was Dr. Preedy mentioned in the last will and testament of the Squire of Wergyn Hall? Where are the ruins of St. Wergyn’s church, of which he has become the unexpected custodian? What is the truth behind the strange tales and legends that haunt the benighted countryside?

Set in the 1900s, The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance leads the investigators from the rarefied air of the college cloisters to the wilds of the English Marches, in this 7th edition Call of Cthulhu adventure inspired by one of H.P. Lovecraft literary heroes: the master of the ghost story, M.R. James.

Moderator: jp1885

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: [IC] Chapter 3: Wergynstone

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Look, I'll prove there's nothing there," says Cynthia. She walks over to the indicated tree.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

If there was anything lurking around the tree, it is not there any more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"See?" says Cynthia. "Nothing. We're wasting time. If we're going to protect the stones before it's too late, we must go onward."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by Whitehorse »

"Thank you for your calmness Miss Knight."

Something is either present that only some of us can see; or something is affecting the perceptions of some members of the party... I do not like either option much... Let us get to this blessed church without further distraction."

Grigori considers his small kowledge of the occult. What supernatural or folkloric entity might provioke such varying responses from a party?
Occult,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   and that would be a fail... :)  
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Some kind of illusion perhaps? No matter. I agree with Mr Tereschenko that we should press on to the church."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome, Mr. Tereschenko," says Cynthia, following him to the church.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III glanced about at his immediate surroundings for a moment, then hurried up towards the entrance to the church. He manically rapped his fist against the door with the intent of attracting the attention of the occupant he had noticed a short time ago. He listened intently for any sort of response.
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (20%),[dice]1[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I trust you all had a pleasant festive break? Now, pour yourselves a glass of something, draw closer to the fire and let us continue our tale...

Anyone loitering around the church door would be surprised to see a well-dressed young man in a state of some distress hammering upon it. He is quickly joined by three men and a woman, equally dressed for a social gathering but all somewhat dishevelled.

Such an onlooker might also notice a lamplight through the windows of the edifice, bobbing along towards said door. It opens with a creak to reveal...
Keeper only,[dice]0[/dice]
A rather startled young man in clerical garb.

The fellow, whom you take to be the local vicar, is a tall, thin chap with thinning sandy hair. He holds up his lamp, the better to inspect you, and smiles nervously.

"Um, hello? I was just 'shutting up shop' for the night - I'm afraid Evensong was some hours ago."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good evening," says Cynthia. "We're sorry, it is rather late. I don't suppose you have many visitors at this hour, do you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

"As Miss Knight says, we're so sorry to intrude at this late hour, but we've come a long way and this is rather important... MIght we come in out of the cold for a moment?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Oh, yes, please do come in," says the fellow, looking past you at the inclement night. "I should of course be going back to the vicarage, but truth be told it's much cosier in the vestry, not to mention... yes, much cosier.."

A look of preturbation clouds his expression for a moment, before fading back into polite bemusement.

"Wilfred Skipp, vicar of this parish. Er, that's me by the way," he mumbles by way of introduction as he leads you by lamplight along the dark aisle and into a small but, as promised, cosy room that appears to be kitted out as part vestry, part office and part sleeping quarters.

"And, forgive me, but who are you..?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Miss Cynthia Knight," says Cynthia, remembering her manners. "Pleased to meet you, Vicar."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

"Grigori Tereshchenko at your service, Reverend...

Tell me, have you been vicar of Wergynstone Church very long?"
LTD1969
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LTD1969 »

"Henry Garrett, also at your service Reverend."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Rev. Skipp's eyes widen at the mention of your names.

"Oh the Eton party! The Bishop wrote that you'd be coming, but I wasn't expecting you to arrive until tomorrow afternoon at least. You must all be awfully keen to, er, whatever it is you want to do here."

Quickly moving aside some books and papers, he makes room for you to sit before settling into a rickety armchair.

"How long have I been here Mr. Tereshchenko? Three years next month - only another fifty years before I'm accepted as one of the locals." He smiles a wan smile. "The church itself was built in the last century. What, may I ask, brings you to Wergynstone?"

While you chat to the Vicar, you notice some sheets, blankets and a pillow neatly tucked away among the usual clerical paraphernalia. Also, jutting out behind his desk is a small stove and, if you read the labels correctly in the lamp light, some canned food. Clearly the vicar spends more time here than one would think.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We were sent here about a matter of an inheritance," says Cynthia. "The Provost of Eton was left some property that was apparently intended for his predecessor."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Ah yes, a strange business that. The old Squire, may God rest his soul, would often regail me with tales from his tme at Eton (I'm a Harrovian myself) and I gather he was close friends with the former Provost. To leave the chap nought but a worthless scrap of land containing a ruined church and a single tenant is unusual enough, but for the new Squire to fight tooth and nail for it simple beggars belief! Are you solicitors then? Surveyors?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm a librarian, myself," says Cynthia. "I'm not sure what everyone else's speciality is, but most of us are academics."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Henry Joseph Lewis III had hurried inside the chapel the moment the doors had been set ajar. He nearly knocked himself off balance when he pushed past the clergyman and moved deeper into the structure. His eyes gazed all about for a pot of tea. Yes, that's what he needed right now to calm his nerves, a nice cup of tea. When the others began introducing themselves, Henry merely nodded and continued to agitatedly scope out what was likely living space. He really wanted that tea.
Whitehorse
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Whitehorse »

Grigori gives a cautious smiling nod when MIss Knight implies he may be an academic. Perhaps divulging that he trades in religious antiquities might muddy matters unnecessarily...

"We've been sent by Eton to assess the local situation," he chimes in somewhat vaguely.

"This new squire does seem to have an odd reputation. Can you tell us any more about him?
We heard some strange accounts of him moving old stones...?"

Return to “The Provost of Eton's Inheritance”