IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Post by Leonulf »

14th July 1922 - Arnoldsburg, Michigan / Time: 13:24 PM

Your train slows down to halt and as you approach the platform you can see the sign for "Arnoldsburg". A whistle blows signalling that it's safe to embark or disembark from the train. As you climb out of your carriage on to the platform a smartly dressed man in his 60s beckons you over, you notice his other arm is beckoning from another direction and as you turn you notice another gentleman disembarking from the train, a glint of familiarity exchanges between your eyes.

You both approach the man, and notice a class ring from the Miskatonic University on his finger.

"Afternoon Gentlemen, I am glad you both arrived safely. I am Professor Wagner, I requested that both of you come to Arnoldsburg for three reasons"

Wagner pauses to cough for a moment.

"Apologies, emphysema is the bane of my existence. To continue... Firstly you both have skills well suited to the task at hand, and secondly, I believe you both have some degree of familiarity with each other. "

Professor Wagner leans back slightly as a hint of a grin sneaks accross his face leaving the third reason unsaid.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison had spent the majority of the train journey wondering how the devil he knew Professor Wagner, and more to the point, how the Professor knew him. Perhaps they had corresponded about some rare book or other, but for the life of him he couldn't recall...

His puzzlement, however, fades quickly as the good Professor speaks to him and his fellow traveller, who he recognises immediately.

"Why if if isn't old Wessells!" Harrison's accent is an odd mix of New England twang and clipped Dominion British, with the occasional rounded Canadian vowel sneaking through. "Please excuse us Professor, but I haven't seen this old cove for simply an age!"

He shakes John's hand warmly.

"Still churning out that nonsense eh? I've still got a first edition Great God Pan with your name on it old man - show you how it's really done!" He jokes.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

John Wessells

“What is he doing here?” thinks John as he shakes Harrison’s hand. Although he admires the man’s knowledge and intellect, he has doubts about his motives.

“That nonsense helps pay the bills, Harrison he says. “Good to see you again. I see that you received the same strange summons.”

He turns and offers his hand to Wagner. “Nice to meet you Professor. I hope we’ll hear more about the third reason you mentioned” he says genially.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:30 PM

(1)|<==========| |==>
(2)|***********************
(3)|********@*************
(4)|*******@*@***********
(5)|*[---][---][---]<o>>>

1: Station Exit (North to town centre / East to Aylesbury Street)
3: Professor Wagner
4: Holt / Wessells
5: Train Carriages

Professor Wagner's expression widens as he reaches for the handshake before being taken aback slightly by a minor coughing fit.

"Blasted ..." he breaks off into a mutter for a moment.

"Excuse me. Ah yes the third reason, this I hope will be most exciting. Well it was for me aha! During your studies at the Miskatonic I am sure you were aware of a group of students and faculty members - The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. It's not just for current students you know, anyway we were contacted with a small investigative job and I thought of you two. This is a trial of sorts, if the investigation goes well then you will be offered membership. It really is most prestigious. Nowadays I mainly act as a go between, my damn lungs aren't up to much these days. We have always kept detailed records on students and alumni, my task is to identify those who stand out."

He pauses to catch his breath, it is clear that even speaking at length can be a struggle for the old professor.

"Now I am sure you wish to here about the investigation itself. A week ago the house of a Mr Thomas Kimball was burgled. It seem's a few books were stolen, this is not something he would like to trouble the police - stolen books are hardly a priority for them. Sounds mundane doesn't it? Ah but you see the books belonged to his uncle, Douglas Kimball who has been missing a year. Thomas now resides in the house, and he would like to know who stole those books, and the whereabouts of his uncle - and indeed if he is even alive. You will of course be paid expenses plus a reward of $10 upon completion. But as mentioned, there is a greater reward on offer." He starts to grin again and gives you both a wink.

Wagner clears his throat "The Kimball residence is in the suburbs - 218 Aylesbury Street, he is expecting you and has prepared a spare room for you each, so no need to find lodgings."

Spoiler:
OOC: I am going to attempt to make little ascii maps for the scenes, please excuse me if they are terrible.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

It is quite possible that one might see dollar signs light up in Harrison's eyes at the mention of the stolen books. If they were stolen, then they were undoubtedly valuable and Harrison has never been particularly scrupulous about the providence of the books that he buys.

He looks slightly askance at the professor when he mentions keeping records on students though.

"If I'm honest, I don't like the idea of my details being kept in a ledger somewhere without my knowledge, but I'm gratified that you think I might be of assistance. Besides, I don't want to have come all this way for nothing."

"Tell me about Mr. Kimball and his uncle - were they collectors? If so, of any particular oeuvre?"
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:33 PM

The train you both arrived on pulls away as a whistle briefly deafens your ears.

Professor Wagner takes out a pocket watch and examines it, "Oh don't mind ledgers and such, the written word does not pry - but the writer? The reader!? Ahah". He seems rather amused with himself as he replaces his pocket watch into his top pocket. "Good questions perhaps - but as I say I am no longer hands on, my information is limited. I did meet with Mr Thomas Kimball briefly, he is a friendly albeit rather quiet fellow. Appears studious but not exemplary. I will be taking the next train back to Arkham, it should be here shortly so I must make my leave and cross the platform - I can't be rushing around at my age. I recommend heading to 218 Aylesbury Street, and off loading any luggage at Mr Kimball's residence. Mr Kimball will hopefully be able to answer your question's I am sure. Following the road out of town East should take you there in about 35 minutes at a nice leisurely pace."

He nods to you both and makes his way to the small footbridge to cross the platform, he is shuffling rather slowly but seems quite happy. Wagner turns around "And I do hope to see you both again, I am not often wrong about people", he turns away and pauses for a few seconds with another minor coughing fit before continuing.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison watches Wagner as he disappears into the crowd on the platform. he turns to John, smiling ruefully.

"It's seems we've been left holding thew baby eh? Odd business this, but I suppose we'd better press on. Let's collect our luggage and find a taxi."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Oh, for sure it's odd" says John, grabbing his valise. "But I'm sure you smell an opportunity Harrison. I'm sure you're wondering what books were taken."

He winks facetiously and leads the way out of the station.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"The thought may have crossed my mind..."

Harrison chuckles and follows his old friend.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Outside, John hails a taxi and asks for Aylesbury Street.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:38 PM

(1)|****************#[N]***********
(2)|****************#***************
(3)|*[[Shops]]****#*[[Shops]]***
(4)|############>@>########
(5)|****#**********#*[L]**[D]*****
(6)|****#[P]******#****************
(7)|****#*********#****************
(8)|****########*****************
(9)|*[[Train Station]]************

N: Local Newspaper / P: Police Station
L: Library / D: Lunch Car (Diner)
>@> Taxi

You both get into the back of the taxi, the driver nods at the request of Aylesbury Street, "That won't take long, the name's Willard. You look like out of towners - business or visting family? And you got a house number in particular you need me to take you to?"

Willard pulls out from the station and drives past the local police station before heading east towards Aylesbury Street, you can see a number of local shops on the left hand side of the road, and a library and lunch car on the right. You notice Willard raise his left hand slightly off the steering wheel as a gesture to a pedestrian walking by the shops.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Two-eighteen please Mr. Willard. We're here on business - at least I think so."

Harrison idly inspects the view outside as they drive along, looking out for any interesting bookshops or second-hand stores.

"Pal of yours?" He asks as the driver waves to the pedestrian.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:39 PM

The taxi continues along the road.

Willard answers cheerfully "Ah just Willard is fine, I know that place, Mr Kimball's house right by a graveyard, can't miss it."
He laughs "Ah we are pretty friendly in Arnoldsburg, I know pretty much everyone. That was Mrs Green, she runs the general store with her husband."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Do you know Mr. Thomas Kimball?" asks John.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:40 PM

The taxi leaves the main town centre and starts to enter the suburbs.

"Thomas? - Not really, I don't see him around much. I knew his uncle before he went missing, occasionally took him into town so he could acquire books. He was fond of walking normally but sometimes if he had a number of books to pick up, a taxi ride was easier. Used to be a chatty fellow, but in recent years he didn't seem himself."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Where did his uncle get his books from?" asks Harrison, trying to sound casual.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:41 PM

"There is a small book store in town, I think he ran through their stock pretty quick, Martha only has a small selection but she can order anything in. In the months before he vanished he started to get them delivered, did not even venture to the library anymore. Oh we are aren't far from Aylesbury Street, should be there shortly."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Do you know anything about the disappearance?" asks John. "I mean, was there a police investigation?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"And in a similar vein," Harrison chips in, "is there much of a criminal element around here? Any shady characters who'd be likely suspects for the break-in?"
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:43 PM

(1)|**************************************|**G******[M]*****
(2)|**************************************|**G*******#*******
(3)|######**********************###****|*********##*G*[M]
(4)|*****
[==]*********#####****#**######*S**##**********
(5)|*****
[==]********#*****#####*******|#####**[M]******
(6)|**
[======]#####*******************|*[M]**************
(7)|**
[======]**************************|*****G************

3) Path leading from sidewalk to the front of the house
G: Gravestone / [M]: Mausoleum / S: Statue
#: Path / |: Graveyard wall

The taxi slows to a stop outside your destination.

"Criminal element? Not at all, this is a peaceful town, just the occasional drunkards - ah actually there were some burglaries a few years ago but that was all, can't remember much about that. As far as I know the police looked into the disappearance but didn't find anything - best to ask them I would say. Well this the Kimball house. That's a dollar-fifty please". Willard cuts the engine off so you can unload.

Return to “Paper Chase”