OOC - Discussions

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

OOC - Discussions

Post by Leonulf »

Out of character chat can go here, once characters have been submitted in the character thread I will post the story thread.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: OOC - Discussions

Post by jp1885 »

Well done on getting the game up and running. I'll create a character when I've got some spare time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Greetings Both. I'll start preparing my character. It might take the weekend as work is really busy lately, but the holidays are coming soon and I'll have lots more time.

My character will be a writer, which should help easily explain his interest in getting involved in the scenario. I'm thinking of a Miskatonic graduate - can I ask where the scenario takes place?
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

No rush so don't worry :)

The investigation will take place in Michigan.

A Miskatonic graduate would work great (in fact in the scenario notes, this doesn't spoil anything, one of the set-ups is for the character(s) to be from a Miskatonic University society called The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. This society was formed in 1889 by a group of professors and students - making it very flexible occupation wise. There is no chapter house or anything the society just meets in the university library). No requirement to use that however, just thought I would mention it since it was relevant.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Considering the title of the scenario, I was thinking of playing a disreputable bibliophile: a dealer in antique books who's not above putting profit before morals.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Sounds good :)

In terms of attributes/skills I would recommend using the quick-start method for allocating values, but if you wish to roll for each one thats fine (you can do it in this thread so the char sheet thread is uncluttered). As long as its CoC legal its all good.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

No problem - I'll use the quick start method, mainly because I haven't really used them before.
Consider this post a placeholder to show my workings. I'll update it as I go through the process.
Luck,[dice]0[/dice]So that's 8x5 = 40
Occupational skills,ANTIQUARIAN— Accounting 40%, Appraise 60%, Art/Craft (Music) 40%, History 40%, Library Use 60%, Other Language (Latin) 50%, Charm 50%, Spot Hidden 70%, Credit Rating 50%
Non-occupational skills,Pick four non-occupation skills and boost them by 20% - psychology, first aid, occult, firearms (handgun)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I've posted up some background to my character, and I'll add to it accordingly. I'll try and finish as soon as I can, and get the dice rolls done this weekend. Work is really busy right now.

And also, I'm not used to the 7th edition rules, so please excuse me if I make a mistake! I use Orokos.com for dice rolls, and I'll post the results up on the character page.

I'm thinking that the character probably crossed paths at Miskatonic, but perhaps only know each other by reputation?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Agreed - a Miskatonic connection is a great idea, and it's also not a stretch that a book-loving fantasy writer and an antique books seller would know each other. John might pop into Harrison's shop for inspirational tomes on occasion!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I'm not used to the 7th edition rules, so please excuse me if I make a mistake!
You can download the 7th Ed quickstart rules for free (via the Chaosium website) and there's a simplified version of the character creation process in that (which I've used for Harrison).
Last edited by jp1885 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

That sound's like a good character connection. Once both characters are finished ill kick off the game thread.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I just need to update the skills, and the character is ready. Sorry to make you both wait. I'll be finished tonight, so please begin as soon as you're ready.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

It's no problem :)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Okay, all done. Let the Paper Chase begin!
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

The ASCII maps idea will have to vanish im afraid - the fullsize house layout I had wont display well at all. I can't get them to line up properly with the font on the forum, when I made them the font was equally character spaced, but it doesn't translate too well and needs too much rework. They were probably a bit unclear as well, apologies for changing things slightly while the game is in progress. (They were also possibly a daft idea to begin with :lol: )
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It's okay. Kudos for trying! Maps are only essential for places where the characters really need to know the layout.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FYI - If I don't post, it's because I'm content to wait for jp's questions to be answered first. Be assured, John is biding his time.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

I see, let me do all the hard work first... ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

You're doing so well!
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper