IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Post by jp1885 »

As John tries to calm the fellow, Harrison watches closely, trying to ascertain just what is bothering the grave digger.
Psychology 30% PASS,[dice]0[/dice]
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 15:04 PM

An angry expression forms on Melodias' face "Confounded questions! I am TRYING to WORK here!"

Harrison gets a strong reading of fear from Melodias, it just happens to be manifesting in a burst of anger - it seems the caretaker is getting rather worried. Having put on the charms earlier, Harrison's calm disposition while observing Melodias seems to have settled him down slightly. Melodias turns to John.

"Arghh, this damned place. Look it's getting late I finish in about half an hour, and I suggest you finish whatever business you have here soon, you don't want to hang around here when it gets late. Last time I saw Kimball he was over there where I pointed a moment ago, he always sat there and read. You won't find him there now. Please I really need to finish up my work, when I say we need to be out of here I mean it."
OOC,the psychology success also tells you he is hiding something in his top pocket, please roll to spot hidden - (both of you can try if the first attempt fails).
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Spot Hidden 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison backs away slightly, not wishing to antagonise the man any further, especially as he's clearly spooked about something.

"Okay friend, we'll leave you be."

He tilts his head, trying to get a glimpse of whatever's in his pocket, but cannot make anything out.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

John also decides to leave him alone. Wondering why the man is rooting around in his jacket, John says “We’re sorry to have taken you away from your work. Thank you for talking to us.”
OOC,Spot Hidden, Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/764488]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]35[/b]
His eyes wander over to the place where Melodius claims to have last seen Kimball.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison follows John's gaze and nods. It's hardly the middle of the night - what harm could there be in tarrying for a while to investigate Kimball's favourite tombstone?
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 15:10 PM

Melodias' stops fiddling with his coat "Right you are then." He turns around sticks the shovel into the ground before getting a pruning knife from his pocket and tidying a bush near one of the graves.

Looking ahead you can see a small clearing where Melodias had pointed out Kimball's reading spot. The grass has been worn down to a dirt path here, it has been well travelled it seems. The tomb with the low jutting wall is in rather good condition, most of the tombstones around this clearing are older however, and another tomb serving as a family crypt opposite the reading spot appears in far worse condition.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison mooches around, trying to make out the names on the tombstones and the crypt.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John takes a closer look at the spot where Kimball did his reading, trying to see if anything looks out of place.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 15:18 PM

Your unable to read any names on the tombs, the writing is far too worn or in the case of the crypt opposite the reading spot, just too damaged in general. Everything appears fairly normal at a quick glance, just old and broken. But the dirt does appear well trodden.
OOC,Please roll for spot hidden/track
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison inspects the well-trodden ground.
Spot Hidden 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John looks at the tomb adjacent to the wall closely.

"I wonder why he chose this tomb to sit by?" he says, loud enough for Harrison to hear. "Is it significant in some way?"

He starts to look it over closely. Could entry be at all possible?
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/766975]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]17[/b]
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 15:30 PM

Harrison can see footprints on the ground, the same strange beastial footprints that were seen outside of the window back at the house. You still can't identify them but they look incredibly strange and seem to be coming from the older crpyt opposite Kimball's reading spot.

John can see that the tomb where Kimball sat has not been opened for sometime, but could potentially be forced open.

Examing the tracks on the ground further as they lead up to the older crypt Harrison can see that the damage in fact looks deliberate and is concentrated around the entranceway.
OOC,If you wish to attempt to gain access to either tomb you will need to roll strength
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Huh, looks like whatever animal it was must've gotten in here somehow. I guess we could take a look and see what it is..."

With a somewhat forced grin, Harrison tries to move the entrance to the old crypt.
STR 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
With the strength of someone used to carrying piles of heavy books, he just about manages to inch it open.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Impressive!” says John. “I’ll call you when I need some furniture moved.”

He puts his shoulder to the stone, and manages to wedge it open further so that they can enter.
OOC,Strength 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767471]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]20[/b]
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

OOC,accidently edited this post somehow instead of writing a new reply , so I have rewritten it as close as I can, sorry for the inconvenience.
Time: 15:36 PM

After Harrison dislodges the stone door to the entrance of the tomb, and a bad stench slowly creeps out. John's attempt is able to finish the job and open the crypt wide open. You are immediately hit by a stench of decay, and as the miasma hits you with full force you both start to lose consciousness.

Time: 23:40 PM

You both awaken groggy to dark clouded over skies. The full stench is now clear, but you can smell a musty damp smell in the air. As your eyes are opening you can make out an incredibly strange beastial figure crouching down by the wall, being low to the ground as you awake you can see what appears to be beastial hooves. This is no man and it seems to be observing you but is not making any move towards you.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison coughs as he eases himself slowly to his feet. As he does so, he notices the figure and more specifically it’s strange feet.

“I must be seeing things,” he mutters.

He extends a hand to John to help his friend up, while keeping a wary eye on the figure.

“Er, hello? We’re staying at the Kimball house.”

He says, by way of explanation.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Using Harrison's hand, John pulls himself up. He is still groggy, and stares at the figure before them, wondering if he is dreaming.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 23:43 PM

The strange figure seemed at first content to ignore you but as soon as the words "Kimball" leave your lips the ghoul-like creature turn's his strangely familiar face towards you for a moment. After a few seconds of staring the creature turns it's head down as it reaches into it's well worn dirty tattered clothes that have seen better days. A book in pristine condition is retrieved and you could almost think the beast was starting to read it!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John takes a few tentative steps towards the figure, trying to get a better look in the gloom.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"What the deuce is that thing?" Harrison wonders. "Some kind of halfbreed or degenerate?" Could it be some derelict gone feral? Could it be old man Kimball himself?"

He watches John taking a step towards the creature and is suddenly worried for his friend. He takes a step forward too, trying to look as non-threatening as possible and hoping to distract the sinister figure.

"Dickens or Shakespeare?" he asks, remembering the missing books.

Return to “Paper Chase”